5.3

Benjamin Sandler works at

635 Madison Avenue, 10th Floor
212-756-5777

Treated 2018 - 2019
I wish he [Dr. Sandler] was more open to trying new things...He is very busy yet always professional, he will explain procedures in technical details if you ask or care, and answer your questions in a satisfactory manner, he is very straight forward and not "a warm" person but that didn't bother me. What did bother me is that he only changed treatment once and it didn't work as well (not his fault) and the fact that he did not consider that other results maybe possible to attain due to my age. I am seeing another doctor for a second consult, but I do believe that Sandler and RMA do things by "the book", especially for AMA /DOR and don't like to take risks, or try new things. He is knowledgeable and will make decisions based on facts (ie blood tests to confirm if ovidrel shot is needed and such) but that is also a very cookie-cutter approach, one size fits all. Not sure if the results would have differed if one of the variables were changed, since that didn't happen. I wish he was more open to trying new things or Ill ask if he has a reason for sticking to the method he thinks works best (which is the medically expected program for DOR). My advice is to not be intimidated and ask as many questions along the way as you need.
admin staff [at RMA of New York] has been excellent with me, especially finance and clinical coordinator...uses a lot of staff to get in touch with their many patients - they do calls in the afternoon and leave voice mail messages and emails with instructions. Nurses are nice and very diligent; they follow up with the doctor and the coordinator if needed. Some are better (Katrina?) than the others, but overall they are nice,
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Since I have not seen another doctor is hard to compare. Dr. Sandler to another one. He is very busy yet always professional, he will explain procedures in technical details if you ask or care, and answer your questions in a satisfactory manner, he is very straight forward and not "a warm" person but that didn't bother me. What did bother me is that he only changed treatment once and it didn't work as well (not his fault) and the fact that he did not consider that other results maybe possible to attain due to my age. I am seeing another doctor for a second consult, but I do believe that Sandler and RMA do things by "the book", especially for AMA /DOR and don't like to take risks, or try new things. He is knowledgeable and will make decisions based on facts (ie blood tests to confirm if ovidrel shot is needed and such) but that is also a very cookie-cutter approach, one size fits all. Not sure if the results would have differed if one of the variables were changed, since that didn't happen. I wish he was more open to trying new things or Ill ask if he has a reason for sticking to the method he thinks works best (which is the medically expected program for DOR). My advice is to not be intimidated and ask as many questions along the way as you need.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
see previous, ask questions, ask why not.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
It is a very efficient office that processes a lot more women you'd think need help - that has todo with personal expectations and it may be an indicator of RMA's success, but it does contribute to everything (calls, procedures, visits) being part of a schedule and always hurried.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Sandler used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I've done the standard DOR antagonist protocol, gonal f 300, menopur 2 vials for 4 days than increased to 3, with ganirelix once the leading follicle reached 16 mm, and ovidrel shot- Once we tried luptondown regulator that suppressed me too much so went back to antagonist with no birth control. out of 4 cycles, we are left with 2 pgs normal out of a total 12 embroys in 4 cycles. no changes to regimen was based on the fact that antagonist works best for DOR, estrogen has risen, and follicles were produced, yet the low results are to be expected due to aging
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
RMA uses a lot of staff to get in touch with their many patients - they do calls in the afternoon and leave voice mail messages and emails with instructions. Nurses are nice and very diligent; they follow up with the doctor and the coordinator if needed. Some are better (Katrina?) than the others, but overall they are nice,
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Very busy clinic, lines and wait time can get long especially on the weekend when other RMA's office are closed. get there early for monitoring and be patient. Numbers bring strength too they get to see a lot of people and a lot of experiences, yet for DOR/AMA they have the same approach.IF you're new to this, get info before your first visit so you can ask questions that matter. Their admin staff has been excellent with me, especially finance and clinical coordinator.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
efficient, busy, could be really bad on the weekends- they are open almost 360 days out of 365 so thats a plus, but they are busy. location super convenient for me, and staff is helpful but busy
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York.
insurance paid some costs, and I ended up with most of it. it averages to $11-$12K when self pay and all included (isci,pgs etc)
Describe Benjamin Sandler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
RMA only does ESet for ama
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Sandler is very frank and honest about his anxieties, which is wonderful but also doesn’t help a patient stay positive when we may already be feeling despondent...When his business office completely miscommunicated what the cost of our experiences would be, he gave us ‘professional courtesy’ (my husband was a PGY1 in the Mount Sinai system and had gotten an MD/PhD at Mount Sinai as I well), generously taking care of basically one frozen transfer cycle. He was adamant that he didn’t want the unclear finances to be the stressor. I will never forget that.
When they [RMA of New York] didn’t communicate clearly what our insurance would cover, we went directly to Dr. Sandler who provided us with a one-time ‘professional courtesy’ (my husband is also an MD) because he didn’t want stress over financials to deter us from focusing on the positive of a successful fet...Only negative is financial coordinator...was not easy to get in touch with and was quite unclear in her communication. Everyone else was lovely and compassionate, especially nurses who educate you on trigger shots and Kristen, Sandler’s IVF coordinator.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler is very frank and honest about his anxieties, which is wonderful but also doesn’t help a patient stay positive when we may already be feeling despondent. However, he knows his stuff and takes very seriously his duty to get women pregnant. I trustes he was doing his best. When his business office completely miscommunicated what the cost of our experiences would be, he gave us ‘professional courtesy’ (my husband was a PGY1 in the Mount Sinai system and had gotten an MD/PhD at Mount Sinai as I well), generously taking care of basically one frozen transfer cycle. He was adamant that he didn’t want the unclear finances to be the stressor. I will never forget that.
Ask questions and ask him to slow down if he is speaking too quickly.
Dr. Sandler was thorough and quite knowledgeable. As he got to know me he certainly warmed up. He spoke quickly and sometimes at length, needing to be redirected to my questions or reason for the visit.
I had good ovarian reserve and was 30, almost 31 years old, so we began with med to make me get a period, then letrozole with monitoeing, a trigger shot and timed intercourse. Because I had previously had a miscarriage at 10.5 weeks, he thought I could get pregnant again on my own. Letrozole was because it has less risk of multiples and less hormonal side effects. I got pregnant on our second round - a blighted ovum that we terminated with cytotec at 8 weeks. Because of this second loss, he suggested we do a immunology work up and we found that I heterozygous for factor v lieden with positive antibodies. I wish he could have recommended a hematologist who took insurance but he couldn’t. I found one and she was fine though didn’t think I needed blood thinners. I appreciated that Dr. Sandler insisted. We did an egg harvest, genetic testing, and FET to control as many variables as possible. I loved that he insisted the progesterone suppositories were just as effective and less stressful, and so I used those and estrace of course. First fet was a chemical positive. Second resulted in our daughter! I used blood thinners the entire pregnancy and will again next time as well. Folgard too!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
Most nurses were patient and compassionate on the phone. They have the hardest work, I think, in delivering news of monitoring and successes or failures. They were generally great. The three women who took blood were marvelous. Toward the end of my time there were new women to take blood and they needed more practice but I’m sure would improve quickly given the high volume of the practice. Monitoring hours were first-come, first-served and they were efficent and honest with the time.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Only negative is financial coordinator, Hera or Hema or something like that, was not easy to get in touch with and was quite unclear in her communication. Everyone else was lovely and compassionate, especially nurses who educate you on trigger shots and Kristen, Sandler’s IVF coordinator.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were 7-8:30am, I believe. They were first-come, first-served. During the week I would arrive at 6:45 and never waited longer than 45 min. Weekends would be a longer wait because I would get there between 7:30-8. I was usually out by 9 or 9:30, though.
Insurance covered most of us so I’m not sure. When they didn’t communicate clearly what our insurance would cover, we went directly to Dr. Sandler who provided us with a one-time ‘professional courtesy’ (my husband is also an MD) because he didn’t want stress over financials to deter us from focusing on the positive of a successful fet.
Given my age and history; Sandler recommended single embryo transfer. I am an identical twin and my mother was in the hospital for months with high blood pressure while pregnant. I 100% was thankful for Sandler’s honesty, thought, and opinion.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New York?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
I once had two different nurses call me with two conflicting stories of what we could do if things went a certain way. After that I insisted I would always like to speak to only two of my usual nurses and they honored the request without much fuss.
Treated 2016
Dr. Sandler was mostly straightforward during my treatment. I did feel that there were times he overexplained things and didn't focus on the details I wanted to hear. However he answered all of my questions as they arose, and I did feel confident he had my best interest in mind. My treatments were a success with Dr. Sandler, and after 2 rounds of IUI and 2 rounds of full IVF, I am currently 18 weeks pregnant...
[RMA - East Side] Strengths: Lots of great doctors, great results, knowledgeable staff, helpful with understanding benefits and helping to obtain discounts. Weaknesses: Won't baby you (I don't think this is necessarily a weakness), there are a lot of women there so morning monitoring can definitely feel like a factory...First come, first served, from 7--830. There were always tons of women there, but only a couple instances where it wasn't moving efficiently enough...
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
You will not be handheld, and you may have to ask for specifics at some points, but feel confident that he will get the job done.
The clinic saw a lot of patients, and I always felt like Dr. Sandler had to look at a file to remember my name. But I also felt that the staff upon retrieval and transfer were so kind and helpful, which I believe is when it really mattered most.
We started with 2 IUI rounds on clomid. After no success, my FSH rose to 16 and Dr. Sandler explained it was time to move to IVF and be aggressive. First IVF cycle was the antagonist protocol and I retrieved 8 eggs, 4 were mature, and 3 fertilized. 2 made it to Day 5 and both were transferred, but they appeared to be of abnormal quality. I had a chemical positive that progressed no further. Second IVF cycle, I used the Lupron flare protocol. Dr. Sandler believed that I may have egg quality issues, so I took DHEA supplements on my own after asking him about it for 3.5 months first. Then I started the flare protocol, but only retrieved 5 eggs, and produced 1 embryo. However, that embryo was the "most beautiful embryo the clinic had seen all week" and they thought it to be of high quality. I am currently 18 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby girl.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I called numerous times with questions and the nurses were always helpful or quick to return my call.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Fortunately, insurance helped out greatly with my expenses. I still paid several thousand dollars out of pocket (maybe $10K).
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New York?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Nothing huge, but there was one instance where they did not call me after morning monitoring and I had to call them to chase. There was also another time I had to chase to have an antibiotic called in.
Treated 2016
Dr. Sandler is very experienced. Because he sees so many patients for procedures, if you don't talk with him about everything you know and understand, he will start at the beginning to describe your issues. He tries to be realistic, yet hopeful, that you will get pregnant, but will also explain when there are problems... Communicate often with the nurse coordinators because they are the ones who will answer your questions directly. If you're not getting the answers you want to hear, you'll have to press hard to speak with the doctor. Or else make an appointment to see him for a face to face consultation.
Communicate often with the nurse coordinators [at RMA of New York] because they are the ones who will answer your questions directly. If you're not getting the answers you want to hear, you'll have to press hard to speak with the doctor. Or else make an appointment to see him for a face to face consultation....But make sure you double check your insurance coverage, co-pays, etc. I had difficulty getting them to fight the insurance company for pharmacy benefits - something about them using fertility codes rather than gynecological codes - for meds for my treatment.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Dara)
The coordinators do cc: others with your care so that one of them will email back.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Because RMA is such a large practice, you have to trust in the process. But make sure you double check your insurance coverage, co-pays, etc. I had difficulty getting them to fight the insurance company for pharmacy benefits - something about them using fertility codes rather than gynecological codes - for meds for my treatment.
RMA-NY Shared Donor Oocytes with Cryo of embryos, including ICSI and embryology biopsy fee = $23,880. Additional $2000 for PGD/PGS lab screening. Subsequent FET cycle = $3450 ea. Medications extra.
Treated 2017 - 2018
[Dr. Benjamin Sandler is] very scientific he gives you his opinion and what he chooses for you...He gave me a hope that we have age on my side I will def get pregnant. But then I didnt get pregnant and then had a chemical.he told me the changes that will happen in a new cycle.he had alot of information...I had antagonist protocol I had 300 gonal f n 3 powders of menupor and then centrotide and my trigger was ovidrel my cycle lasted 11 day
[The nursing staff at RMA of New York was] Awesome they answered all questions and very promptly...It [monitoring appointments] was fast your get in btwn 7 and 8 am and would do bloods then get placed in a room for ultrasound...[Dr. Benjamin Sandler is] very scientific he gives you his opinion and what he chooses for you...He gave me a hope that we have age on my side I will def get pregnant.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Hes very scientific he gives you his opinion and what he chooses for you.
He explained everything
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Awesome they answered all questions and very promptly
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
If you dont get pregnant the first time dont think of it as the doctors fault it's only the first time and they have to find out what works but the second time around things should work in your favor
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was fast your get in btwn 7 and 8 am and would do bloods then get placed in a room for ultrasound
I had a grant
NY - Downtown
Treated 2014
Dr. Sandler was very knowledgeable and kind. In the beginning he explained everything to us almost like a high school health class, making sure we undertood everything. The doctors at RMA work as a team and we liked all of them...Both Dr. Sandler and my ivf coordinator always spoke to us as kindly and explained everything clearly and kindly...Nurse] Keri was amazing. She was so friendly and clear and made us feel safe. She was great at giving bad news and clearly took pleasure in giving good news. It really felt like she cared...They are very organized and everyone is kind and helpful. We did not have any complaints.
Know that you will be working with the whole team of doctors [at RMA of New York] and you won't know who will be doing what procedure...[Nurse] Keri was amazing. She was so friendly and clear and made us feel safe. She was great at giving bad news and clearly took pleasure in giving good news. It really felt like she cared...They are very organized and everyone is kind and helpful. We did not have any complaints.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Know that you will be working with the whole team of doctors and you won't know who will be doing what procedure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Keri Bergin)
We were lucky to have insurance cover 1 cycle
Embryo Freezing
He’s very thorough. During the consolation Dr. Sandler goes over the whole reproductive process, your chances of conceiving and the full overview of what to expect. I was just hesitant going to a for profit place. But I’m on to my 3rd doctor and feel that I have to give RMA a fair chance too. The nurses seem to be there to support you along the way. I will say the nurses who draw blood aren’t as good as Columbia but I’m sure I can get over that. I felt that other places were too conservative and didn’t understand my rush even though I’m 36.
The waiting time [at RMA-NY- East Side] isn’t as bad as others - is Columbia. They have the process down well and know what you are in for when you arrive. The nurses who draw blood aren’t the best though. The office seems clean enough but it isn’t updated at all... The total cost will probably be around $20k. We did an IUI with them that is still going through insurance. They will go over the cost of the meds and retrieval for you before you start and set up a payment plan. They have to look into your insurance first anyway to get approval.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Go in with all of your previous blood work and a list of questions. He’s very knowledgeable so ask him anything.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I can ask them anything and they will get back to me ASAP.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The waiting time isn’t as bad as others - is Columbia. They have the process down well and know what you are in for when you arrive. The nurses who draw blood aren’t the best though. The office seems clean enough but it isn’t updated at all.
NY - Eastside
He [Dr. Benjamin Sandler] told me to try with a single embryo transfer because he was confident it would be successful...I have met Dr. Sandler only twice. Regardless, I got the results I was promised on our initial consult visit so I am not upset...Maybe Dr. Sandler's involvement would've been more present if the 1st round of IVF would've been unsuccessful, but luckily I will never know...On our initial consult he told me I was the ideal candidate for IVF and that I will leave his office pregnant in a matter of couple of weeks. He was right. We started with the medication to prepare for egg retrieval which I was on for about 10 days, on the first cycle day after my initial visit (talk about not wasting any time). I was put on progesterone as well to make sure the lining was prepared to keep the pregnancy.
During the lab hours and constant blood draws there were always many different nurses working [at RMA of New York], I think I never saw the same nurse twice during my time there...Very efficient scheduling, we started our treatment two weeks after our initial consult. A lot of staff to help with the amount of patients so no long wait times. The lab testing in the morning had a good system in place on a 1st come- 1st serve basis. It was a clean environment. Be prepared to wait with A LOT of women especially during lab times, it was mind blowing to see how many women actually go through fertility treatments. It is difficult to feel important.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
We were blessed with our miracle baby on our 1st IVF attempt, so I am very grateful for the expertise of RMA and Dr.Sandler. However, I feel if this would've been a 3rd or 4th attempt which often is the reality for fertility patients I would've felt neglected and just like one of many. Maybe Dr. Sandler's involvement would've been more present if the 1st round of IVF would've been unsuccessful, but luckily I will never know.
Be prepared to not see him much :-)
The clinic is very busy, and during the entire process and countless visits I have met Dr. Sandler only twice. Regardless, I got the results I was promised on our initial consult visit so I am not upset.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
During the lab hours and constant blood draws there were always many different nurses working, I think I never saw the same nurse twice during my time there. I wish I remember the nurse who was getting me ready for my egg retrieval, she was the kindest soul who made me laugh when all I wanted to do is cry because I was so nervous. She told me everything would be fine and she was right.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
We paid roughly $5,000(mainly for medication) the rest was covered by insurance.
He told me to try with a single embryo transfer because he was confident it would be successful.