Medical SchoolU. of Hawaii
ResidencyKapiolani
1329 Lusitana St
Honolulu, HI 96813
808-538-6655
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Benton Chun to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend IVF Hawaii to a friend?
From our very first consultation with Dr. Chun, we knew our chances of getting pregnant and potential obstacles we could face. He is very thorough in his explanations and is honest. He compassionately cares for, and includes his patients in the decision making process...I was SO scared on retrieval day but Dr. Chun made me feel so safe and cared for. That whole process went great too. We got 15 eggs but none matured until day 6, when we froze a total of three good quality blasts. We just finished the ERA test and are awaiting results. I wanted to do the test to give us one more piece of the puzzle since we only have three blasts to work with. We hope to do a frozen transfer in November 2018.
I have always felt cared for and have felt like my desires/needs are a priority when I am at IVF Hawaii. Dr. Chun and his team go the extra mile in making me and my husband feel part of the IVF Hawaii family...Lorene—the primary nurse coordinator is great at her job. She is very busy but has always answered my many questions and returned my many calls...They all show compassion differently and care for their patient
How was your experience with Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
Dr. Chun is very good at what he does. I believe through my research, he is the best in the state of Hawaii. From our very first consultation with Dr. Chun, we knew our chances of getting pregnant and potential obstacles we could face. He is very thorough in his explanations and is honest. He compassionately cares for, and includes his patients in the decision making process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
Don’t be afraid to tell him what your expectations are. If you aren’t ready for something, tell him. Be open and honest from the start because he will be.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
Describe the protocols Benton Chun used in your cycles at IVF Hawaii and their degree of success.
Consultation due to trying to conceive for three years. Started out with ovulation tests. When we found out I was ovulating normally, we discussed my increase in very painful periods as an adult and the possibility of endometriosis. I wanted to proceed with the suggested laparoscopy and I am glad I did. He removed a small spot but nothing serious and he didn’t think it was the reason we weren’t getting pregnant. After the surgery, he sat next to me and showed me pictures of my ovaries. I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and he showed me what that looks like (my aging ovaries). He was thorough, to the point, but compassionate when giving me the news that this could limit our window of opportunity. He gave me hope and a plan of where to go from there. Also, my painful periods are gone. We did one IUI (told us our chances were slim but tried anyway). When that was negative, we went straight to IVF (which was what we wanted). The injectables were explained and demonstrated thoroughly and a schedule was given. The whole thing went smoothly and I had no adverse reactions to anything. I was SO scared on retrieval day but Dr. Chun made me feel so safe and cared for. That whole process went great too. We got 15 eggs but none matured until day 6, when we froze a total of three good quality blasts. We just finished the ERA test and are awaiting results. I wanted to do the test to give us one more piece of the puzzle since we only have three blasts to work with. We hope to do a frozen transfer in November 2018.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Ms. Lorene)
Members of the nursing team at IVF are all different and unique individuals. They all show compassion differently and care for their patients. I am overly anxious about procedural processes and always ask too many questions. I sometimes even question my teams decisions and express how I feel about every step in the process. I know I’m not easy to deal with sometimes but I always try to show the team that I appreciate and respect them. Lorene—the primary nurse coordinator is great at her job. She is very busy but has always answered my many questions and returned my many calls.
Describe your experience with IVF Hawaii.
IVF Hawaii over all is organized, has a positive and “homey” atmosphere, staff is thorough in patient expectations and procedural sequence, compassionate, and has a high standard of care. They even provide a stamp to get a discount on your parking ticket.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii.
IVF Hawaii explains insurance coverage versus out of pocket costs and is upfront about what to expect (we are so great full for this because we go into every procedure knowing the coverage and approximate cost. We have NEVER felt like IVF Hawaii is just wanting our money.
Describe Benton Chun's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at IVF Hawaii.
Dr. Chun has a “one embryo at a time” transfer rule for women under a certain age/with certain criteria considered. He holds the safety of his patients to the upmost of importance.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other
I was a bit surprised that he [Dr. Chun] wanted to transfer all 5 embryos but it was because 1) I didn't PGS test them (that would of cost me an additional $8000) and 2) because of my age at the time of treatment (42), transferring more would up my chances... is strict but compassionate and wants the best for you. When I went in for my "discuss options" meeting with him, he took over an hour out of his busy schedule to explain why the procedure may not have worked and what we could do differently the next round.
Lorene [nurse at IVF Hawaii] is great - she is so on top of everything she has to juggle not only for me but for all of Dr. Chun's patients. She calls back when she says she is going to and was also very compassionate throughout the process...Strengths - warm family vibe, great reputation (all word of mouth), the staff and Dr. are all very compassionate and I loved visiting the clinic. Weaknesses - the office is run a bit old school, you can't contact them by email and no frills to the office. I also had to wait sometimes before I was seen.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Other
How was your experience with Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
What can I say...although my second round of IVF with Dr. Chun didn't work if I had stayed in Hawaii I would go to him and try one more time. Dr. Chun is strict but compassionate and wants the best for you. When I went in for my "discuss options" meeting with him, he took over an hour out of his busy schedule to explain why the procedure may not have worked and what we could do differently the next round. Because he knew that I might be moving to California, he said that if I did he could recommend clinics and doctors in San Francisco for me. He is a kind and has great bedside manner (cracking jokes at times) and I trusted him 100%.
The office is run a little old school - you can't email and have to always call in but the head nurse (Lorene) who runs the show is super organized and will call you back when she says she will. I would definitely go back to this clinic even though my IVF failed just because I felt like Dr. Chun and his staff really wanted the best for you.
Everyone in the office from the front desk receptionist to billing to the head nurse all make you feel like you are part of the IVF Hawaii family. Dr. Chun as well and I think this is something that he instills in his staff. I loved coming to see them.
Lower dosage of drugs Included HGH in procedure Dr. Chun did laparoscopic surgery prior to starting IVF to remove the endometriosis, fibroid, and cysts the he found during my ultrasound. His philosophy is to take care of the things that could hinder the outcome up front.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Lorene)
Lorene is great - she is so on top of everything she has to juggle not only for me but for all of Dr. Chun's patients. She calls back when she says she is going to and was also very compassionate throughout the process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii.
My insurance covered 80%, I ended up paying around $7000.
I was a bit surprised that he wanted to transfer all 5 embryos but it was because 1) I didn't PGS test them (that would of cost me an additional $8000) and 2) because of my age at the time of treatment (42), transferring more would up my chances
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii.

Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Doctor Chun is very good in what he does and has years of experience. Every visit to the clinic, you see him. He does every procedure from ultrasounds to retrieval and transfers. ... I have pcos ... We had to do icsi due to male factor. ... He usually isn’t the one making calls to you so that may be a set back for some people. If you have questions he will do his best to answer them. ... Trust the protocol he has you on. ...
Only one nurse coordinator for all couples. ... Some tests that I asked for were not done which I’ve seen a lot of other clinics run. There were a couple of times where the nurse didn’t know what tests she had me do . ... The clinic [IVF Hawaii] has a very talented doctor who definitely knows what he is doing. You get to see your doctor every visit. Sometimes it does get busy and you are waiting 30 minutes to se your doctor. There isn’t an online portal for you to get results and it’s difficult to get in contact with nurses to talk to them.
Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
Doctor Chun is very good in what he does and has years of experience. Every visit to the clinic, you see him. He does every procedure from ultrasounds to retrieval and transfers. He usually isn’t the one making calls to you so that may be a set back for some people. If you have questions he will do his best to answer them.
Trust the protocol he has you on.
Only one nurse coordinator for all couples.
For my cycle we started off with lower doses. Metformin, Lupron, ganirelix, follistim. Because I have pcos my doses weren’t that high. When we saw that I wasn’t responding too well they gave me several more days of stimulations. We had to do icsi due to male factor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Lorraine)
This clinic has one main nurse who scheduled you for appointments and deals with all your tests and results. She was very hard to feel comfortable or welcomed with. She made us feel even more terrible with our journey. She was not very compassionate. She was also not very organized but that’s probably because they do everything old school and do not have things online. She was difficult to talk to and majority of the time she would talk to you in person or on the phone as if she was too busy and did not have the time. My husband and I have seen her talk to other couples differently a lot more nice, so it could probably be just due to our age.
Describe your experience with IVF Hawaii.
The clinic has a very talented doctor who definitely knows what he is doing. You get to see your doctor every visit. Sometimes it does get busy and you are waiting 30 minutes to se your doctor. There isn’t an online portal for you to get results and it’s difficult to get in contact with nurses to talk to them.
What specific things went wrong at IVF Hawaii?
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Dr. Chun explained that IVF would be best for us due to my factors as well as my husbands. He explained why an IUI would likely not be effective... He also explained to us why we needed ICSI for our cycle and not traditional IVF. After retrieval, we had to freeze our embryos due to my estrogen levels being off...also because I was at risk for OHSS...Due to having a thin lining, I was put on various supplements as well as blood thinners. Despite all the right meds and even adding Nupogen to my transfer protocol, my lining wouldn’t grow and the transfer scheduled for April was cancelled.
Be prepared to wait [at IVF Hawaii]. I’m ususally not seen until 15-20 minutes after my actual appointment. However, don’t hesitate to call when you need to. Also, the way the office runs may seem a little “old school” but I don’t think this impacts the actual care you get...The office is busy every day, but none of the staff ever make you feel like you’re not important. They take your care and concerns seriously.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
How was your experience with Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
Dr. Chun is a no nonsense man. He took the time to explain why IVF with ICSI was our best chance at conceiving. I believe he approaches each patient differently and does not offer an umbrella type treatment (which was the case at a previous clinic). My case has been a difficult one, and Dr. Chun has been honest with us throughout the journey, which I appreciate. Although he is strict with his requirements (diet/exercise) he is also very caring and understanding. He sees you as a person, not just another patient.
Be prepared to wait. I’m ususally not seen until 15-20 minutes after my actual appointment. However, don’t hesitate to call when you need to. Also, the way the office runs may seem a little “old school” but I don’t think this impacts the actual care you get. I’ve been to another clinic that had what seemed like a chic office and newer technology, but received much better care with Dr. Chun and his staff.
Everyone at Dr. Chun’s office is warm and caring. Although they are very busy, they always treated me like I mattered; not like just another patient to get in and out of the office. Dr. Chun himself is very caring and always took time to answer my questions and concerns. He is very serious about his work and his patients, but also has great bedside manner.
Dr. Chun explained that IVF would be best for us due to my factors as well as my husbands. He explained why an IUI would likely not be effective; something the other clinic failed to tell me. We did have to do 1 IUI prior to IVF per my insurance carrier. For that procedure, he put me on injectable meds because he knew from my prior clinic that I do not respond at all to clomid/femara. He also explained to us why we needed ICSI for our cycle and not traditional IVF. After retrieval, we had to freeze our embryos due to my estrogen levels being off (I forget if it was high or low) and also because I was at risk for OHSS. Good thing we didn’t do a fresh transfer because I did end up getting OHSS and it was painful. Due to having a thin lining, I wa put on various supplements as well as blood thinners. Despite all the right meds and even adding Nupogen to my transfer protocol, my lining wouldn’t grow and the transfer scheduled for April was cancelled. We prepped again for a frozen transfer in June, this time with meds adjusted/increased. My lining did get thicker than the first attempt and we were able to move forward. Unfortunately, the beta test two weeks later was negative. Up next, I have a laparoscopic surgery scheduled to check for endometriosis which could have contributed to complications after the transfer. I will also be undergoing an ERA test after the surgery to see if my transfer needs to be a little earlier or later than what their protocol is. He is recommending he ERA test because our transfer failed with an extremely high quality embryo (5AA).
All of the staff at IVF Hawaii are excellent! Lorene, the main coordinator schedules all the appointments and explains what we need to do/bring to those appointments. She explains each step of the process and answers any questions you may have. She even takes the time to mark the area for the PIO shots so you’re not injuring yourself. The office is busy every day, but none of the staff ever make you feel like you’re not important. They take your care and concerns seriously.
Describe your experience with IVF Hawaii.
The cool thing about this clinic is that Dr. Chun is involved in the patient/care side of things as well as the lab part. Dr. Chun is not only invested in you, but in the care of your precious embryos. IVF Hawaii is one of the best (if not the best) clinics in Hawaii, and I can see why. Although I’m still in the middle of treatment, I am so glad it is with Dr. Chun. He does not waste time with procedures that will likely do nothing for you. He’s just as determined as you guys are to make it to that finish line with your new baby. Like I said, the only “downside” is that this clinic does things a little old school with paper charts and things like that. Again, I don’t think that is a reflection of the actual work being done or the level of care you receive.
In my experience with Dr. Chun, he’s always recommended us to transfer just one embryo. He explained that multiples (even just twins) automatically puts one in a “high risk” category. He’s always stated that the goal is to have one healthy baby at a time. I believe age plays a factor into his decision on how many to transfer, but I’m not sure what that age is.
+ Read more- Read less

Bedside manner isn't really his [Dr. Benton Chun's] forté....low dosages of the medications to prevent OHSS. From this cycle I got 14 eggs...He was in and out of the room...He wouldn't even remember us or our particular case and we'd have to correct something he would say and then he'd flip through our chart looking confused...Sometimes he'd say things different as if he didn't even remember our fertility history. My husband is sterile from cancer treatments, which the clinic knew from doing their own semen analysis even after showing our prior three semen analysis tests through the years that had zero sperm.
They [IVF Hawaii[ are very busy with just Lorene as the Nurse Coordinator so it could take a while to be seen at times. The waiting room was always full at each appointment and I remember timing it and wouldn't get called back for at least 30-45 minutes past our appointment time. I can't remember her name but the receptionist at the front desk was extremely friendly upon arrival and departure of your appointment and was very kind. The billing woman (I believe her name was Cindy) was also very, very helpful and friendly.
How was your experience with Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii?
From the moment we met him, we weren't exactly happy and a little hesitant to move forward. He came into the room without a smile on his face... as a matter of fact, I don't ever recall seeing him smile. It felt cold as if we were just another number to his rotating door of patients. Bedside manner isn't really his forté. We decided to continue on and do our first IVF with him because we'd heard such good reviews from other people, and several of my coworkers like him as well. The thing that really irritated us was that he was in and out of the room so quickly and although you got to see him at every appointment, they always felt so rushed like he didn't have the time of day to talk to us. Sometimes he'd say things different as if he didn't even remember our fertility history. My husband is sterile from cancer treatments, which the clinic knew from doing their own semen analysis even after showing our prior three semen analysis tests through the years that had zero sperm. The day before our egg retrieval, he was instructing my husband that he'd come in the next morning to give his fresh sperm sample to implant into any eggs retrieved. What sperm sample?! We'd gone through this long ordeal of getting a semen analysis that showed zero sperm once again, shipping over his frozen sperm from the mainland, AND getting back up donor sperm, yet he seemed to forget all this or he could've at least reviewed our chart before he came into the room.
He was in and out of the room and had bad bedside manner. He wouldn't even remember us or our particular case and we'd have to correct something he would say and then he'd flip through our chart looking confused.
I can't remember the exact protocol but it was pretty safe with low dosages of the medications to prevent OHSS. From this cycle I got 14 eggs
Describe your experience with your nurse at IVF Hawaii. (Assigned nurse: Lorene or Lorraine sp?)
We didn't have a problem with Lorene. Their office is a little old school with paper charts still so at times she seemed a little unorganized. I recall a few times where she'd be moving stacks and stacks of charts on her desk just to look for our chart and shuffling through piles of papers looking for things (labs, results, etc). She was nice but also seemed stern/unapproachable at other times.
Describe your experience with IVF Hawaii.
They are very busy with just Lorene as the Nurse Coordinator so it could take a while to be seen at times. The waiting room was always full at each appointment and I remember timing it and wouldn't get called back for at least 30-45 minutes past our appointment time. I can't remember her name but the receptionist at the front desk was extremely friendly upon arrival and departure of your appointment and was very kind. The billing woman (I believe her name was Cindy) was also very, very helpful and friendly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at IVF Hawaii.
If I remember correctly it wasn't an inconvenience. Just whenever they'd schedule me for an appointment or they'd give me notification ahead of time so I could leave/take off from work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benton Chun at IVF Hawaii.
Insurance covered some of the IVF and we paid copays for each appointment, some payment for ultrasounds, and a couple thousand on IVF medications from what I recall
What specific things went wrong at IVF Hawaii?