Alabama Fertility Specialists

Nurse available by emailNurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of North Carolina
ResidencyU. of Alabama
FellowshipBeth Israel Boston
2700 Highway 280
Birmingham, AL 35223
205-874-0000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Beth Malizia to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Alabama Fertility Specialists to a friend?
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Melizia is an amazing doctor. She is very soft spoken she always makes you feel better about having to be there and she instantly feels you with hope. She gives her honest medical opinions. She doesnt just tell you what you want to hear. I appreciate this because I do not want to waste money on a certain course of treatment if it isnt the right fit for me (even though it worked for a friend). I always feel very comfortable asking her questions about what can we do next, well what about this route and she always responds with such a caring and understanding attitude and always explained why it would be a good route or not. I know that Melizia is a very busy doctor but she always takes the time I need with her to answer all of my questions. I never feel rushed or as if she has a 1,000 different things running through her head. This goes back to everyone at AFS makes you feel like you are their only Patient!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
I would tell them that Dr. Melizia is amazing. She will proceed with fertility treatments on your own pace. So if you are ready to go in full force then make sure you tell her!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
AFS has always treated my husband and I as humans. They all have a way of making you feel like you are the ONLY patient they have and you are the top priority and concern. All the doctors and staff at AFS play a role in this. Even though Malizia is our primary doctor we have worked with the other doctors as well and they made us feel so good about being there. Also, the nurses walking up and down the hallways stop, call you by name, and give you a big hug! This is really a big deal for me! It makes this journey a little easier knowing you have such a great group of people caring for you! AFS is the BEST!
Describe the protocols Beth Malizia used in your cycles at Alabama Fertility Specialists and their degree of success.
IUI Cycles: 1. We used clomid The first IUI we used the at home ovulation test but come to find out it gave me a false positive so we did the IUI and I had not ovulated yet. So this one was a bust. :( 2. We used clomid again. This time we did a monitored cycle with the trigger shot. I did fully ovulate right on time but it also failed. :( IVFs: 1. 1st round of IVF we were on BC pills for a few months and then we started lupron. We then started with the Follistem pen and Menopur. We continued with the lupron. We triggered and went in for retrieval. We found out they retrieved 10 eggs, only 5 were mature, and only one fertilized. We were a little upset with these numbers but our 1 embyro was a perfect as you could get! This was hopeful! We transferred a 3 day embryo because we only had 1. This cycle failed. :( 2. 2nd round of IVF Dr. Melizia swapped up my meds. She wanted to get more mature eggs. I was only on BC pills for a few weeks and then we started stimming right away with Follistem and Menopur. We later added in ganerelix so that I would not ovulate on my own. This would we had 14 eggs, 10 mature, but still only 1 fertilized. :( It was still a perfect embryo though! This round also failed so then we started trying to figure out why the embryos would not attach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Kendall)
The IVF coordinator Kendall, and the entire nursing staff at AFS is amazing. They call you by name and they remember your story. One of my favorite nurses is Michelle. Every time she sees me she stops me gives me a big hug and tells me she is so glad to see that we have not given up. She was apart of both of our IVFs and she was caring and encouraging the entire time. The entire staff from my favorite receptionist (Leslie), to the Ultrasound tech, to the ladies in the lab and all the nurses are amazing. Dr. Melizia is my primary doctor but the entire office comes together and really makes you feel special.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
The Clinics strengths are they make you feel important, like you are family. You can really tell they all care not just there for a pay check. My first apporintment there I was so nervous and I felt so defeated because I was actually there. I didnt want to believe it at all. When I left there I felt the complete opposite. I still hated the journey we are on but I had a sense of calming and hope. I knew that with God on my side guiding these doctors, nurses, and staff that we will one day have our miracle! We instantly knew AFS was where we were suppose to be. The only weakness that I would say the clinic has is SOMETIMES the call back time is not up to my standards. Now I am someone who likes a call after lunch if I went in that morning or if I went in that afternoon I like a call back by the next morning. I may be a little impatient when it comes to this so other may think their call back time is perfect. :) This may actually be a weakness of mine and not the Clinic's.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
First round of IVF - $9,000 + Medicines 2nd round of IVF - $7,600ish + Medicines IUIs - $350ish a piece + Medicines Surgery - $3,000 Monitoring Visits - $30.00
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Malizia knows our story, she knows about our faith, she wrote me a letter, she asks about our home life and the people in it. She cares.... We completed a full testing cycle with blood work and sperm count. We checked chromosomes, did a endometriosis check, and an HSG to check my uterus and Fallopian tubes. We tried femera for a month, but didn't get pregnant. We upped the dosage for two cycles and still didn't get pregnant. We did IUI with the latter cycle. We tried one more month along with a trigger shot and IUI, but still no pregnancy. I took a break because my body was exhausted.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Dr. Malizia is very intelligent and speaks to us about studies, research, and statistics. This helps me because I need things to be tangible and blunt. She does this all so lovingly. She asks about our lives and the goings-on. She asks about adoption and my teaching career and truly listens as you talk. She is apologetic when she knows I'm upset about miscarriages and she comforts me by knowing my history and letting me feel normal to fall apart in her office. She is always ready with a plan, she exhausts all options and possibilities. I have referred friends to her who now have babies or are currently pregnant.
Be ready to hear the truth, the facts, and be ready to have a plan in place before you leave. She will test you for everything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Alabama Fertility Specialists. (Assigned nurse: Trista)
Trista is incredible. She is loving and caring. She immediately calls back and answers all of my crazy questions.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
They are busy. It is hard sometimes to get appointments that fit around a teaching schedule. They also don't have an office in Shelby County so you have to drive to Jefferson County even if it's just for bloodwork.
I cannot remember. Our insurances paid for most costs.
Describe Beth Malizia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Alabama Fertility Specialists.
No comments
Birmingham
She [Dr. Malizia] was very personable...She is very friendly but does not necessarily explain the whole reasoning of the treatment courses. Like your numbers are not ideal but does not go into further explanation of why or if that is the cause of infertility...they [Alabama Fertility Specialists] are all wonderful people! As the people you deal with mostly, they are loving and compassionate about your situation.... Scheduling was never an issue they always put the patient first.
Ask questions
She was very personable
they are all wonderful people! As the people you deal with mostly, they are loving and compassionate about your situation.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
Its location is horrible to get in and out of, parking is kind of bad as well, other than that the staff is friendly and caring and feel like family. Scheduling was never an issue they always put the patient first.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, PCOS
She [Dr. Malizia] always spoke to me personally and compassionately. She didn’t always remember every detail but she took time to look in my chart and refresh her memory when she needed to. It was obvious she wants to make sure everyone gets the right care.... I really was not sure what to expect when I was referred to her, but I am so glad that she became my doctor. She was always compassionate and caring. I really wish there were more doctors out there like her.
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, PCOS
How was your experience with Beth Malizia at Alabama Fertility Specialists?
Don’t feel afraid to ask questions so that you feel comfortable with everything that’s going on.
She always spoke to me personally and compassionately. She didn’t always remember every detail but she took time to look in my chart and refresh her memory when she needed to. It was obvious she wants to make sure everyone gets the right care.
Everyone was always welcoming and friendly. They always called me by name and made it feel easy to be there.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
They’re so friendly and welcoming. It was smaller when I was there and I understand they’re getting bigger but I think just because of the kind of people who work there, it will always feel like a safe place.
Birmingham
[Dr. Beth Malizia is] Compassionate, smart, nice, prompt, makes you feel like the only patient. Good doctor. Friendly. So far my experience has been good. Just praying for the positive pregnancy test.been doing fertility for 4 years.... This is a very clean and nice clinic [Alabama Fertility Specialists]. Very inviting space. They get you in and out when you have routine visits. Like for bloodwork and ultrasounds. Weakness would be sometimes I didn’t know how much a procedure would cost until after it was done. But maybe that is my fault for not asking.
Describe your experience with Alabama Fertility Specialists.
This is a very clean and nice clinic. Very inviting space. They get you in and out when you have routine visits. Like for bloodwork and ultrasounds. Weakness would be sometimes I didn’t know how much a procedure would cost until after it was done. But maybe that is my fault for not asking.
What specific things went wrong at Alabama Fertility Specialists?