Medical SchoolSUNY
Garden City, NY 11530
516-746-3633
200 West 57th Street
212-256-8200
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Beth McAvey to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of New York to a friend?
The plan [with Dr. Beth McAvey] was pretty basic. Come In for montioring and blood test after cycle day 1. Would go back a week or so later for an ultrasound. Then trigger, then back for IUI. She ordered to see and endocrinologist and my TSH level is normal now. Now we have done 4 IUIs...There was no difference between any of my IUIs... there was no explanation as to why they were not working. And we also did not adjust any “treatment” plans. No added tests, adding progesterone, etc. on my 4th IUI, I went into the city and as the nurse shut the door, she said, “IUI in room 5”. Felt like I was at a fast food restaurant
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr Mcavey is very nice, but never had adjusted my fertility treatments. We have all this “unexplained reasons” which seems to get everyone of the hook, while this is costing us a lot of money. I wouldn’t liked my one on one with her especially after a failed IUI
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Take your time when she is in the room with you. Even if you have a failed IUI, press to see her or speak to the nurse for a better course of action on the next round.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
As the IUIs continued, there was no explanation as to why they were not working. And we also did not adjust any “treatment” plans. No added tests, adding progesterone, etc. on my 4th IUI, I went into the city and as the nurse shut the door, she said, “IUI in room 5”. Felt like I was at a fast food restaurant
Describe the protocols Beth McAvey used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
The plan was pretty basic. Come In for montioring and blood test after cycle day 1. Would go back a week or so later for an ultrasound. Then trigger, then back for IUI. She ordered to see and endocrinologist and my TSH level is normal now. Now we have done 4 IUIs , taking this month off to save money for IVF next month.
Sometimes I would see the nurse in Long Island. When i went for my ultrasounds she would just give me the size and saw i was ready. Even after a failed IUI, we never looked at weather or not the timing was off. One nurse in the NYC offive forgot to call in my first Ovidrel so I had to pay out of pocket for it. Also I found out I was pre paying for my trigger and it was supposed to be covered the whole time by my insurance
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
There needs to be a Better review after failed IUIs. There was no difference between any of my IUIs. One positive is that results came back quickly, same day if you made the monitoring hours. Expect to be stressed on making monitoring hours in the morning if you are working. I also would ask for a better communication on finances. My co pays were all over the place and there was no consistency on paying for procedures
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth McAvey at RMA of New York.
4 IUIs $2,000 Genetic testing $400 Meds $300
NY - Eastside
Dr. McAvey is kind, optimistic, and has a great bedside manner. Even when I am feeling down about the process, she is encouraging and hopeful. She has been willing to answer all of my questions both by email and phone...I haven't actually interacted with her very much throughout the course of my treatment. I had an initial consultation with her before I started the IUI process (3 rounds), and then one more before starting my IVF retrieval cycle. Other than that, aside from one or two emails to answer a question, I didn't have any contact with her until she called to let me know my IVF failed to produce any normal embryos.
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
My experience with Dr. McAvey has been fine. Whenever we speak she is kind and hopeful. I haven't actually interacted with her very much throughout the course of my treatment. I had an initial consultation with her before I started the IUI process (3 rounds), and then one more before starting my IVF retrieval cycle. Other than that, aside from one or two emails to answer a question, I didn't have any contact with her until she called to let me know my IVF failed to produce any normal embryos. It was only then that she let me know about taking CoQ10 to improve egg quality and to pursue acupuncture (which I had pursued on my own and told RMA I was doing). If you have questions, Dr. McAvey will absolutely answer them, via email or phone. But it's really up to the patient to proactively ask (and research/figure out WHAT to ask). When we found out there would be no transfer cycle for us, Dr. McAvey was optimistic and encouraged us to try again as IVF is really just "a numbers game".
Do your own research and ask as many questions as you can at your initial consultation and all throughout the process. You have to be your own advocate.
Dr. McAvey is kind, optimistic, and has a great bedside manner. Even when I am feeling down about the process, she is encouraging and hopeful. She has been willing to answer all of my questions both by email and phone. At RMA, it's easy to feel like a number, because there are so many women being treated there every day. Even when I felt like "just a number" on my monitoring days, Dr. McAvey never made me feel that way during any of our interactions.
3 cycles of IUI: five days of Clomid, Ovidrel trigger shot, IUI I cycle IVF (retrieval only, no normal embryos to transfer): Gonal F / Menopur / Cetrotide / Dual Trigger Lupron + hCG I was not given a rationale for following this protocol. I have a good ovarian reserve for my age, so based on this IVF cycle my issue appears to be egg quality.
The nurses at RMA of New York ranged from pretty nice to very nice. All of the questions I had throughout my IVF cycle were answered by the nurses vs. the doctors. Whenever I asked, they would sit down with me to walk me through the process and help me figure out my "medication ordering plan" (since I found the process of ordering the meds to be more stressful than actually taking them).
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA of New York definitely has a system down. It's easy to feel like a number at this clinic, but they ARE pretty organized. While I got used to seeing a different doctor every time I went in for monitoring, one thing I did not like about RMA was that the actual procedures (IUI and IVF egg retrieval) were also performed by whatever doctor was on duty that day. There was one doctor at RMA that I didn't particularly care for (his bedside manner was not a match for me) that did one of my IUI's, and I would never have actually chosen him to do it. At RMA, you are very limited when it comes to choice in that sense. I didn't even SEE the doctor who did my IVF egg retrieval. I was already under anesthesia before he even came into the room. Overall, I've had a good experience at RMA (despite my treatment failures).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring appointments at RMA of New York are well organized. I typically never waited longer than 15 minutes to be called and was typically always in and out within 45 minutes.
My health insurance covered my IUIs in full and one cycle of IVF (up to $10,000), however it did not cover most of the expensive IVF medications. For my IVF retrieval cycle, out of pocket I paid ~$4,500 for my medications, $2,000 for the embryo biopsy, $750 for anesthesia, and $750 for PGS testing of 4 embryos plus all office co-pays ($40 each). Billing for my IVF egg retrieval procedure hasn't gone through my insurance yet, so I don't know if I will owe anything additional.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Beth McAvey is personal and warm. She is direct and reply to emails....As this is my first IVF, I wish Dr. McAvey explained to me which treatment is choose for me and educate me a little bit more on what to expect. I did most of my learning through reading and google online. I wish I have more options available to me for me to consider if the 1st treatment failed....Lupron protocol was used for me, don't know the rationale of why using Lupron.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Educated yourself more on the IVF topic. I was abit overwhelmed and clueless.
Dr. Beth McAvey is personal and warm. She is direct and reply to emails.
Lupron protocol was used for me, don't know the rationale of why using Lupron. That was exactly my previous comments that I wish Dr. McAvey explained to me more on the treatment strategies. I didn't know how many protocols are available and options before my treatment. All the blood work seemed normal as progressed. As a result of this Protocol, 2 matured size, 2 mid size and 1 small one. Dr. MaAvey did push 1 more day before the trigger shot to give more time for the small one to grow. Result: 5 retried and only 1 inseminated. And the only 1 inseminated one didn't grow after few days.
I always get different nurse on each blood work result and call back. They are give clear instructions and answer my questions.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA seemed pretty organized and well run, most of appointments are on schedule. I wish they give me more clear answer on the state run grant's availability. I follow up many times on the status and I always get respond that they do not have a contract signed with the grant yet.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
the overall experience is good. 95% of time are pretty quick and standard. wish I get less bruise from the blood drawing. There are 2 nurses's technique are bite harsh.
3 times of IUI - $2,000 1 IVF - $20,000
Describe Beth McAvey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
I didn't get to that stage of process yet, so I don't have good and valuable comments on this topic that I can provide.
NY - Westside
Initially, Beth [McAvey] seemed sympathetic to my feeling of helplessness but as more treatments happened, she didn't take the time to explain to me why the treatments kept failing. I would've liked to spend more time understanding what we could do to find out if there are other underlying problems with me or my husband in order to better our odds. Maybe there's no way but at least we have explored some options but unfortunately we haven't had the chance to do so yet.
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Initially, Beth seemed sympathetic to my feeling of helplessness but as more treatments happened, she didn't take the time to explain to me why the treatments kept failing. I would've liked to spend more time understanding what we could do to find out if there are other underlying problems with me or my husband in order to better our odds. Maybe there's no way but at least we have explored some options but unfortunately we haven't had the chance to do so yet.
I would tell the prospective patient to ask a lot of questions upfront, esp. in case the first couple of treatments fail. I think the most time you'll get out of the doctor is upfront during the first consultation. After the first meeting, you are dealing with nurses and other doctors in the clinic who are not your primary doctor so it's harder to get the information you are looking for.
When my first IUI failed, I was very anxious in finding out the reason for the treatment not to work. She didn't take the time to explain she just said sometimes there's no explanation. During my second treatment, I insisted on running tests to see if there are other issues with me since the second IUI also failed but she said nothing seems to be wrong. She didn't make any helpful suggestions to put me at ease about why my IUIs keep failing or what I should do as my next step. I felt that I was just one of the many "numbers" she had to get through for the day and she didn't take the time to explain to me what I can do to help my odds.
The overall strategy my doctors recommended was to start with IUIs and see if they'll work before I try any more intense treatments due to my age. However, the IUIs have not worked and I still haven't found out the underlying issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
The nurse was very prompt in calling me for every step of the treatment. However, her voicemails would sometimes contradict what she'd tell me on the phone. It's hard to keep track of the schedule so getting contradictory voicemails make it harder.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I think the clinic is reputable so I have comfort in the level of care I'd receive. However, because the clinic is well-known in the area, I am one of many patients there so a new patient would not feel like she will receive individual attention and care that she deserves.
For the past two IUIs, I've paid more than $5K out of pocket to the clinic. That included medications, consultation and the actual procedures performed.
Not applicable as I've not tried eSET.
NY - Eastside
When my e2 spiked and I was in danger of hyperstimulating, she [Dr Beth McAvey] canceled my fresh transfer so that my body could recover. She did a great job of monitoring my follicle growth so I triggered at the right time for the maximum number of eggs retrieved...She also pressured me gently to only transfer one embryo, because she thought my chances were so good, and I really wanted to do two. IVF is obviously an easier experience on a patient when it's so successful, so it's only natural that I highly regard Dr. McAvey. It's hard to know if I would have gotten the same great outcome the first time with anther doctor. I still have 11 frozen embryos waiting to be our baby's sibling.
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr. McAvey did a great job monitoring my first and only IVF cycle after 7 failed iuis at a different clinic. I have endometriosis but there was no clear reason for my infertility. She was extremely positive about my chances. I think I ended up being an easy patient because I ended up responding very well to the stimulation cycle. When my e2 spiked and I was in danger of hyperstimulating, she canceled my fresh transfer so that my body could recover. She did a great job of monitoring my follicle growth so I triggered at the right time for the maximum number of eggs retrieved. I ended up with 31. She also pressured me gently to only transfer one embryo, because she thought my chances were so good, and I really wanted to do two. IVF is obviously an easier experience on a patient when it's so successful, so it's only natural that I highly regard Dr. McAvey. It's hard to know if I would have gotten the same great outcome the first time with anther doctor. I still have 11 frozen embryos waiting to be our baby's sibling.
Ask a lot of questions. Be in touch via email if you want more information.
Dr. McAvey was warm and took the time to share information and answer questions. She was receptive to email communication.
I believe I was on the antagonist protocol for ivf: I had a short 8 day stimulation cycle, and I took gonal-f, ganirelix, and menopur during that time. (Probably others I'm forgetting). Of course I started my cycle with birth control pills. When my cycle staRted and I went in for baseline, I had an ovarian cyst that delayed my start for two weeks. She prescribed me ovidrel to treat the cyst. I triggered with hcg. I had a lot of follicles to begin with and responded well (except for the e2 spike, which was fine). I had 31 eggs retrieved, 19 fertilized, 12 made it to freeze. I then went straight to a frozen embryo transfer for my next cycle. I was prescribed antibiotics, estrace pills, and I was on progesterone in oil shots through week 9 of pregnancy. My transfer went off without a hitch. I didn't do bed rest or anything afterwards.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
I'm not sure if Erin was the primary nurse but she often was the one who called with instructions. She always was patient with questions. I also heard from Olga a lot. I didn't have too many interactions with nurses in person- mostly just leading up to the instructions for trigger, retrieval, transfer, etc. My ivf coordinator Christina ended up not being extremely helpful. She was new, but I found I could get information from my doctor or nurses, not from her.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Rma is of course a big clinic with good success rates. From what I've read, the quality of their lab makes a big difference in their outcomes, but that's one area of the practice that we don't really see. I went to rma westside (except on weekends) and I was so pleased overall with how quickly and efficiently I was seen in the many morning appointments for monitoring. I had been so worried about missing lots of work, and I ended up not being late once, because if I got to the clinic before it opened (7am), I could literally have my blood drawn and my ultrasound done and be out the door at 7:20. Amazing! They also were very organized and never missed calling me with my instructions, which was an unfounded paranoia of mine. Rma is more impersonal because you rotate doctors and there are so many patients, but it seemed to me that they have a system that works. I think if you arrive later in the window of hours for monitoring, you probably end up with a long wait. That happened to me once on the weekend, but at least I expected it. They really move quickly though. At rma, I definitely didn't have that feeling of knowing the nurses well, even though I went in all the time. They didn't really know me by name. But everyone was always friendly and professional, so that was a fine trade-off to me.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Weekdays 7-10am monitoring hours. I always arrived by 6:45, out by 7:30 at latest. Very efficient and well run. On weekends you have to go to the big main clinic. I had a longer wait there but it was quicker than I expected considering the number of patients waiting.
I was extremely lucky to have my ivf cycle and medications be 100% covered by insurance. I think we only had a few hundred billed to us (copays and an u/s at my initial visit).
7 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. McAvey was very down to earth, explained things well and even responded to emails, which was really reassuring. She's smart, talented and well-connected. She referred me to a great doctor for my fibroid surgery...once when I did have a question, as she was running out of the office, she told me she'd call me on her cell from her car. She was really straightforward, smart and kind. There were a few times when I wish she had been more familiar with my file but I recognize that all of these doctors see sooooo many patients, I feel like it's actually our patient responsibility to do a lot of reminding with each and every appointment.
7 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
If anything, I should've made more attempts to communicate with her as she would've made herself available. For example, I had a side effect to one of the meds I was on but because I read about it as expected in the paperwork, I didn't say anything. But when I brought it up at my next appointment, Dr. McAvey said I should've told them. I didn't know that I could/should. That was frustrating but, again, I know if I had reached out I would've gotten a response. For example, once when I did have a question, as she was running out of the office, she told me she'd call me on her cell from her car. She was really straightforward, smart and kind. There were a few times when I wish she had been more familiar with my file but I recognize that all of these doctors see sooooo many patients, I feel like it's actually our patient responsibility to do a lot of reminding with each and every appointment. I asked the director of a prominent cryopreservation lab about her and she had nothing but good things to say about her as well.
RMA has pretty much gotten IUI cycles down to a science: bloodwork, meds, ultrasounds, insemination, two-week call. Because I was at the beginning of my journey, this process was about making sure my uterus was in good shape (it was not so we had to work on that) and then getting me in and out for IUI cycles with the appropriate drugs. Pretty basic.
It's really hard to rate the nursing staff because it was so large. Some people were great. Some people were mediocre. Once I went and waited over an hour for a scheduled insemination because they had forgotten me--and I didn't speak up, I just waited patiently. Other times, I was seen right away. Some nurses were great at blood draws. Some weren't. I have a feeling things are a little better (ie. less busy) at the west side clinic.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Show up early for your IUI visits because that waiting room fills up fast and there's usually a wait. Keep in constant communication with the doctors and nurses. If you care, ask for a female technician. They're there but there are so few of them I feel like advocacy might help.
My insurance was awful. They said they'd cover testing but ended up not doing so. As a result, I had to pay out of pocket for virtually everything.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Dr McAvey had a warm bedside manner, emailed and called me personally, didn't make me feel rushed, and seemed genuinely concerned with my success...Be communicative with Dr.McAvey regarding your care. She helped me when the clinic failed me. I appreciated her involvement... I appreciated her bedside manner and her level of involvement in my care. I would definitely recommend.
4 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr. McAvey was very warm, optimistic, thorough and personal. Dr McAvey was very warm, optimistic, thorough, and personal. I appreciated her bedside manner and her level of involvement in my care. I would definitely recommend.
Traditional IVF with ICSI
Seemed to be informative, patient and thorough. I felt confident in my care. Not overly warm, but kind enough.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The IVF coordinator was horrible. My cycle was delayed because of her lack of communication and errors. That said, the clinic did come through for me to try to make things right. I was reassigned and prioritized in my care going forward and I truly appreciated that effort.
I believe it was $12,500 for an IVF package including one FET if the fresh transfer failed. Plus $2500 for ICSI and around $5000 for meds.
She recommended SET based on my age, diagnosis, and past success.
NY - Eastside
Dr. MacAvey is kind, honest and to the point. She's optimistic and extremely helpful... Don't be afraid to be open with her (hopes, fears). She will give you her full attention and will be totally honest.... have PCOS. I'm on cycle 5 of letrozole to stimulate egg growth. Mid-month I'm scanned for progress (which has been great each month) and then given the Ovidrel injection to induce ovulation. The meds are mild and my body is responding well/properly. Like I said, I'm not pregnant yet but am hopeful I will be very soon. Even healthy couples can take up to a year naturally. The Dr. Has assured me that it will happen soon, and I believe her!
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr. MacAvey is kind, honest and to the point. She's optimistic and extremely helpful. I highly recommend her and the entire RMA staff.
She was warm, friendly and reassuring.
I have PCOS. I'm on cycle 5 of letrozole to stimulate egg growth. Mid-month I'm scanned for progress (which has been great each month) and then given the Ovidrel injection to induce ovulation. The meds are mild and my body is responding well/properly. Like I said, I'm not pregnant yet but am hopeful I will be very soon. Even healthy couples can take up to a year naturally. The Dr. Has assured me that it will happen soon, and I believe her!
Erin, my nurse is incredible. She's thorough, informative, Empathetic and extremely prompt in getting back to you with results/questions.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is one of the best in NYC. They are organized, friendly, clean and reliable.
Insurance covered almost everything.