Medical SchoolU. of Massachusetts
Bangor
700 Mt Hope Ave
Bangor, ME 04401
1-877-(326-3483)
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Beth Plante to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Fertility Centers of New England to a friend?
I would definitely see Dr Plante again and highly recommend her to friends and family...is very caring and compassionate. She has great bedside manners and made all the right recommendations for us during our treatments. After our first failed IVF (no transfer made due to lack of viable embryos) she called us to extend her sympathy and immediately discuss our next steps. The only negative (if that) is that I would say that Dr Plante and FCNE in general tend to make assumptions about what you know regarding the IVF process; and sometimes tend to simplify the process/injections/retrieval/transfer.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Plante is very caring and compassionate. She has great bedside manners and made all the right recommendations for us during our treatments. After our first failed IVF (no transfer made due to lack of viable embryos) she called us to extend her sympathy and immediately discuss our next steps. The only negative (if that) is that I would say that Dr Plante and FCNE in general tend to make assumptions about what you know regarding the IVF process; and sometimes tend to simplify the process/injections/retrieval/transfer. I would definitely see Dr Plante again and highly recommend her to friends and family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Ask as many questions regarding the process, risks of treatments AFTER conception. I ended up having a very difficult pregnancy that my primary ob-gyn said was most likely attributed to conceiving via IVF
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Caitlin )
Dr Plante’s care team/nurse, Caitlin, was wonderful! She’s so kind and compassionate; we loved working with her. All of the other nurses were nice as well, however, sometimes we did feel that they needed a reminder that we had no clue what was going on sometimes/that this was a new experience for us. Everyone, the phlebotomists, ultrasound techs, nurses who send instructions through portal, nurses who return calls, all make assumptions about how much you know/understand the process. They need to slow down and be patient with communicating about what is actually happening and why!
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Ask questions and do not be afraid to ask them again until you understand what is happening and why/how it is a part of the process. The entire monitoring process was never really explained in detail/they just hand you a packet regarding the process. You have to put all the pieces together. That being said, I did think that the entire process of monitoring levels and eggs is done well and efficiently once I understood the process. Most days, I would be in/out in 45 minutes and I was thankful for it. One of the clinics weaknesses is discussing risks of IVF on your pregnancy. We did ask about risks during treatment and post part in but we never discussed any pregnancy complications due to IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England.
Fortunately most of our treatments were covered by insurance with co-pays to see the doctor and we were responsible for all prescription costs while in cycle (probably $1,500 total for IUIs and 2 IVF) We also pay $500 annual fee for continuing to freeze our embryos.
Describe Beth Plante's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
We talked this through with Dr Plante and expressed our concern about having multiples. Given that we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility, she recommended that we try a single transfer for our first two rounds. She did say she would be comfortable with two embryos if that is what we wanted but we all agreed on a single transfer for our two rounds
Reading
My whole cycle I was left in the dark and when I asked questions I was made to feel stupid or annoying...I was not happy with how I was treated as just another patient and not a person. It was my first IVF cycle. I was nervous. I needed more support....Beth plante did not do any of my procedures other than a polyp removal. I got my medical records to send to a new clinic and found out the embryo they transferred was ABNORMAL and they never told me!!
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Each time I was monitored I was never told how many follicles I had. They only retrieved 8 eggs, 2 mature and only 1 fertilized. We transferred this 1 embryo day 5. I kept asking for the grading of my embryo but no one would tell me. The day of transfer I was told "it's was fair" but I wasn't given the choice not to transfer and to stim again for better results. I got a BFP Christmas Eve. Had first ultrasound two weeks later. Saw a heartbeat. Was elated. They pushed me out the door to my OB and never monitored me again or even called to check in. When my OB finally got me in at 10 weeks we did paperwork. 3 days later I miscarried. Baby had stopped growing at 7 weeks (when I saw Beth plante). Not once has FCNE called me about my miscarriage. And now because I was discharged as a positive beta and pregnant my IVF assist is null and void. I am OOP for everything but all they cared about was money. Beth plante did not do any of my procedures other than a polyp removal. I got my medical records to send to a new clinic and found out the embryo they transferred was ABNORMAL and they never told me!!
Ask a lot of questions and push for answers. Be your own advocate. Demand to know how everything is going every step of the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
My whole cycle I was left in the dark and when I asked questions I was made to feel stupid or annoying. No one was ever genuinely interested in my progress. They were just interested in getting paid.
Describe the protocols Beth Plante used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
Antagonist cycle. 187.5 units gonal-f cycle day 2-6, upped to 225 day 7-10. Menopur 75 IU day 5-9. Cetrotide .25mg day 7-9. PIO day 13 until 10w
Robots.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Not personable at all. Make you feel like an inconvenience. Do not communicate.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of New England.
Had to get there super early to avoid waiting
$8,900 cycle plus medication
Boston
She [Dr. Beth Plante] kept the drugs at a minimum and was cautious yet aggressive with my cycle. She knew that my insurance company was not covering any drugs so she tried to keep that in mind. She planned to transfer 2 embryos and that's what we did, and now I have a daughter. She was adamant that I use Progesterone injections instead of suppository or cream, and I think that is what really helped, even though I didn't want to do it.
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Dr Plante is very realistic and uses research and common sense to drive her decisions. She understands the cost and weighs out each decision knowing what the patient can afford and needs to have done. She communicates with her colleagues so even though she did not do my transfer, they were on the phone with her before I went in to discuss everything. They did not order any unnecessary procedures and the plan they offer (3rd IVF is free) is such a great option. She wrote letters for me to my insurance company and helped me in any way she could.
Listen to her - she knows what she is talking about. Even if you don't want to hear it. And be honest with her about what you need - she will always listen.
She is so personable and friendly and so are her staff. She goes out of her way to care for her patients.
She kept the drugs at a minimum and was cautious yet aggressive with my cycle. She knew that my insurance company was not covering any drugs so she tried to keep that in mind. She planned to transfer 2 embryos and that's what we did, and now I have a daughter. She was adamant that I use Progesterone injections instead of suppository or cream, and I think that is what really helped, even though I didn't want to do it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England.
They were always available to talk. One even took the time to fill out my applications for IVF grants that I was sending out. They were SO nice.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I would like them to have an office in Rhode Island! Their lab is the best! Specially designed unlike any other. They have an embryo scope - which I think led to my embryos developing so well.
Well efficient and I would only wait a few minutes. It was first come first serve though so you did have to get there early.
I think it was 9,000 a cycle and if they first 2 didn't result in a pregnancy, they would do the 3rd one for free. Drugs were not covered.
She was conservative and realistic. The other Dr I saw wanted to transfer 5 embryos for my next cycle because of my age. I immediately left that practice.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Dr Plante was very easy to work with. She provided clear instructions and rationale for her treatment plans. We disagreed with her on wanting to transfer two embryos on our second cycle. She explained the risks and agreed to transfer two on the day of embryo transfer after confirming there were two healthy embryos to transfer.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Write down your questions. She will answer all of them!
Dr Plante was warm and compassionate. I found the staff to be easy to talk to, especially the insurance specialists. They handled my questions and concerns with grace and always took my concerns seriously.
Our treatment was over a year ago, I recall we were on an antagonist cycle, and the second cycle she increased my dose of gonal-f, other than that I don't recall much.
Most of the communication was done via a web portal, which was less personal at times, however it meant I had easy access to instructions. The nurses always returned my calls quickly. They were structured in care teams, so while I didn't have a specific nurse, it was always the same group who worked with Dr Plante.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Strength: multiple locations with availability for blood work and ultra sounds. Weakness: injection instruction was a video, not an in person instruction (although they may offer in person if requested)
Monitoring at the office near me was between 7&730 every day except Sunday. I never had to wait longer than 15 minutes. The ultrasound tech and phlebotomist were lovely and very supportive. They were just as excited as I was when I got a positive pregnancy test!
Insurance covered most, we spent ~$8,000 out of pocket after insurance coverage stopped. This included both fresh cycles, meds, and a hysteroscopy.
Reading
So I guess that [Dr Beth Plante] is an optimist, which could be good or bad depending on what you need from your fertility doctor. She never told me that was a possibility. But the cycle really failed because we didn't do ICSI - but this was because our insurance wouldn't cover it at that point. Our second IVF cycle, I was much more prepared for what could happen. I think there is a learning curve on both sides with fertility treatments. Any
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
I really like Beth. I think she is a great doctor and really cares about her patients. She called me personally a few times before or after procedures to check in with me, which I really appreciated. My first IVF cycle ended up being a bust - I wasn't prepared to not have any embryos come out of that so that was a bit of a shock. So I guess that Beth is an optimist, which could be good or bad depending on what you need from your fertility doctor. She never told me that was a possibility. But the cycle really failed because we didn't do ICSI - but this was because our insurance wouldn't cover it at that point. Our second IVF cycle, I was much more prepared for what could happen. I think there is a learning curve on both sides with fertility treatments. Anyway, we ended up having to do an FET because I got OHSS with my second round of IVF. My FET resulted in my now 3 month old healthy baby girl so I am pretty happy with everything that Beth did for us. We have two more embryos in storage so if/when we are ready for baby #2, I'll gladly call Beth to schedule another FET!
I think for fertility treatments in general you have to be ready to adapt. Beth is great and will do everything she can to help.
Beth was very warm and caring. She called me personally a few times before or after procedures to check in with me, which I really appreciated.
My husband has MFI so IVF was the way to go for us. I think we started out with the Antagonist Protocol (or something like that) for our first IVF treatment. We did not do ICSI as it hadn't been demonstrated that it was necessary for the insurance company. No viable embryos resulted and I got OHSS from this cycle. Our second IVF cycle, Beth put me on the Microflare Protocol with Lupron. She was hoping that I wouldn't overstimulate with this protocol so that we had the possibility of doing a fresh transfer. We did ICSI this time but I got OHSS even worse than before! So no fresh transfer but we were able to freeze 3 embryos. We did a FET with one embryo after that and it resulted in our now 3 month old healthy baby girl.
The nursing staff was great! I really liked that each doctor at FCNE had their own care team so that each time you called you were speaking to a nurse who was familiar with your case. Everyone I spoke to and saw was very nice and informative.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
My experiences at FCNE were great. Everyone was very nice and informative. The only thing - which isn't necessarily bad - is that you don't see your own doctor for every procedure. My egg retrievals were done by Dr. Hill and my transfer was done by Dr. Vitiello. So if you want your own doctor to be performing every procedure, this might not be the clinic for you. I was comfortable having the other doctors perform my procedures though.
You were told to go in for ultrasounds and blood work on a specific day. You could go in at whatever time worked for you within their "monitoring hours," which varies based on which office you were going to. I think they were all in the morning so that you could go in before work if you needed to. I think the hours for the Reading office was something like 6-7:45am. You would sign in when you got there and you check off whether you are there for an ultrasound, blood work or both and they called you in on a first come first serve basis. If you were only there for blood work you could be in and out in a few minutes. Ultrasounds took longer.
Our insurance covered our treatments. We paid our deductible and then co-pays. After the first year (which is covered by insurance), embryo storage is $500 per year.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
I trust her, I think she's smart and accomplished...she thought I knew how grave our situation was and we didn't. It would have behooved her to have asked what was our understanding and then take it from here with her expertise.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
She's very nice, but as I cited before, quiet and reserved. When I asked a question she answered it but at no time did I feel like she was anticipating my concerns, my angst. We had a lot of preliminary work done with my GYN before we saw Dr. Plante and she just took that as us knowing full well what all of our issues were. We did not, and there was missteps at our first appointment, where she thought I knew how grave our situation was and we didn't. It would have behooved her to have asked what was our understanding and then take it from here with her expertise.
This is hard to say since every case is so different. I trust her, I think she's smart and accomplished. I have said if you want a reassuring compassionate, get to know you reproductive oncologist, she's not the one. She is gentle though.
Her care team was phenomenal. Dr. Plante s a little removed in the sense that she is quiet and is not overly forthcoming with getting to know her patients. I felt like I offered more get to know, then she did. Not a totally bad thing, I was her brain and expertise, not a best friend. She's reserved.
Mine was the maximum protocol, we did it twice. Lupron and Gonal-F. 10 units of Microflare Lupron 50µg/0.1mL x daily and 225 IU of Gonal-F Pen also twice daily. Each time it took me about 16 days to get to my trigger shot.
They were all always available, for any/all minute question. They answered in detail and never ever felt like I was being bothersome.
Extremely well organized; super staff. Results/orders were posted really quickly every day.
2013 - 2014
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
The individualized care and treatment plan ... AND the doctor [Dr. Beth Plante] and staffs' willingness to actually listen to me - the patients' concerns - was a breath of fresh air and huge relief for someone going through something like this. The treatment plan was tailored to MY needs as an individual and not some checklist... I chose 2 embryos to be implanted which resulted in a fraternal twin live birth... I was not aware that FCNE did not hold any of the left over embryo's. I found out too late that I had to arrange all of that. :( and now the original donor has had his vials destroyed due to an unforeseen genetic circumstance and my hopes of full siblings are gone.
2013 - 2014
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Overall very satisfied and happy with everything. The ONLY thing...and it is a biggie.... is that I was not aware that FCNE did not hold any of the left over embryo's. I found out too late that I had to arrange all of that. :( and now the original donor has had his vials destroyed due to an unforeseen genetic circumstance and my hopes of full siblings are gone. I now know the gene involved and could have had the embryo's tested. However, the chances of full siblings were destroyed forever when they neglected to inform me that at the end of my cycle - if arrangements were not made by me (which I did not know) the embryos also will be destroyed. :( so very upset over this 1, albeit just 1, but very important detail!!
to include EVERY possible detail from donor, retrieval, implantation, etc. and what happens AFTER. I was not informed about what would happen to the embryos left over and unaware that the arrangements to preserve them was solely up to me.
The individualized care and treatment plan ... AND the doctor and staffs' willingness to actually listen to me - the patients' concerns - was a breath of fresh air and huge relief for someone going through something like this. The treatment plan was tailored to MY needs as an individual and not some checklist. Love FCNE and Dr. Plante!
I did not want to go round after round and guessing. I advised Dr. Plante that I want the highest percentage of 1)implantation and 2) live birth. So IVF with egg retrieval it was. Off hand I can't recall the exact drug names but we did start with birth control and egg stim hormone injections. followed by stim to mature and release for retrieval. then IVF and 5 day implantation. After implantation injections of 2 different hormones to retain pregnancy and development. This was my first pregnancy. First Fertility treatment/round and I chose 2 embryos to be implanted which resulted in a fraternal twin live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: :( can't remember. )
FCNE uses off site blood and u.sound monitoring centers. The 2 ladies at my center were absolutely the best!!! Their calmness and ease..put me to calm my nerves and relax me. Their compassion and bedside manner was a beautiful thing to see in this day and age of sterile healthcare.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I know at the initial consultation there is a ton of information to go over and discuss. Things can get lost in translation or just in the flood of information getting passed. Perhaps a "follow up" in the consultation could occur and go over the specifics NOT covered by this clinic....like FCNE NOT preserving my left over embryos after my implantation procedure. Perhaps, informing the patients of their options where this is concerned and providing a timeline as far as when this all HAS to happen. Also, perhaps providing local cryobank information (as I received my donor from all the way across country) to expedite preservation of embryos. I'm not sure as I am not sure of the policy and procedures of FCNE where this is concerned. I did know that they themselves were not a cryobank and for donor parts informed me of where to obtain things but the post procedural information of things fell a little short.
They use off site monitoring and the hours are very limited to morning hours only. Very difficult for someone that - not only worked the overnight shift but also overlapped with their hours. I did NOT want my employer to question me and was very difficult to take care of both needs to attend my monitoring appointments but also my work schedule.
I know my insurance covered the majority of the costs.... there was a bill that popped up almost a year later, that I thought was covered but apparently because it was an "additional procedure" (uterine fibroids removed) there was a cost that I was unaware of.
I thought this would be my "one shot deal" so for ME - I chose to have 2 embryo's implanted. My thoughts were that I did not want to go through "all of this, implant just 1 and then have it not take. But did 2, and if both took, I could deal with 2" (almost 2 years later...had I known...LOL ;) ) I love that from the past history of fertility treatments, centers have learned and limit the number of embryos implanted. Not just for mom but also for offspring and preserving the health and wellness of each. I love that FCNE limits that number to 3 at most and that is only with past failures/complications from previous attempts. They did allow me to do 2 - at my choosing. and repeatedly asked if this was something I was sure of...even at the time of implantation. Their attention to care and well-being of mom and potential babies was well received and appreciated.
Westborough
[Dr Beth Plant's] Strengths - compassionate (example: called me personally after miscarriage), committed to single healthy pregnancies/values health of mother...Weaknesses - committed to single healthy pregnancies so this makes her hesitant to get more aggressive with treatments even though my husband and I are open to multiples, doesn't schedule appointments to see you regularly, you as the patient have to make a separate appointment to see her because nurses handle all other IUI-related tasks
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Strengths - compassionate (example: called me personally after miscarriage), committed to single healthy pregnancies/values health of mother, respectful of patient's wishes (example: due to religious beliefs, unsure about pursuing IVF and Dr. Plante respects this with treatment) Weaknesses - committed to single healthy pregnancies so this makes her hesitant to get more aggressive with treatments even though my husband and I are open to multiples, doesn't schedule appointments to see you regularly, you as the patient have to make a separate appointment to see her because nurses handle all other IUI-related tasks
Be your own advocate and speak up about what you want because she really wants to avoid multiples
She makes herself available via email and contacted me directly after we lost our baby.
Letrozole 2.5mg days 2-6, monitoring via ultrasound starting day 10, trigger shot + intercourse, IUI 36 hours after trigger. She increased letrozole to 5mg on days 2-6 recently.
Strengths - good communication, organized, friendly Weaknesses - sometimes it feels as if the nurses don't communicate or document what's going on with a patient well enough so they don't appear to be on the same page
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Good location, clean, responsive, great hours
My insurance covers IUI so all I pay are co-pays for the IUI which are $40 and $25 to see Dr. Plante as a follow-up visit.
IVF, Donor Eggs
[Dr. Plante] Nice bedside manner, active listener. Discusses things thoroughly when in face to face meetings. Communications outside of office visits were lacking and too many times were there questions that fell on the nursing staff to act as mediators...I had a MD change the protocol mid cycle without explanation to me or consideration of my previous response to previous FET cycle and it set me back
IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Beth Plante at Fertility Centers of New England?
Be your own advocate and ask lots of questions.
nurse staff all but one were extremely compassionate start to finish. Insurance coordinators, schedulers all lovely to work with. MD's for the most part were understanding of each situation
estrace patches , vaginal and oral estrogen. then when ready progesterone in oil shots, FET day 6. Uterus lining FET #1 6.5 mm, not pregnant Uterus lining FET # 7.9 mm, pregnant , then miscarried week 6
compassionate, helpful, competent
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
poor at outlining expectations from the beginning as to the entire process. You are required to go to multiple offices at times. You will see multiple doctors and not know who will do FET or D& C until day of.
I am 40, went through menopause at 31 and one embryo was discussed due to multiple risk factors. Also, that I had 6 total viable embryos that has PGS
2009 - 2015
IUI, 7 IVF
Dr Plante cares about her patients personally and professionally. She doesn't just follow standard protocol, she researches new innovations and processes to give her patients the best possible outcome. She doesn't sugar coat anything but at the same time it doesn't feel like a low blow when delivering bad news... Low dose stim (due to ohss), ICSI, PICSI... Beth has the most patient centric personality - we never felt like a number to her. She could have let us go to improve her success rates but she kept fighting with us
2009 - 2015
IUI, 7 IVF
Trust her
Low dose stim (due to ohss), ICSI, PICSI,
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of New England. (Assigned nurse: Kelly )
Fcne has a patient portal which makes waiting less torturous - it also makes bad news easier to process
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
Amazing clinic. Tough to travel to reading for all procedures. Lab is up to date with new technologies (embryoscope, oxygenated labs)
Cattle call. Appts would be better
$40,000 out of pocket with dual insurance
My 10th cycle, she suggested an eSET but I refused because we had agreed it was our final attempt and if we had two to transfer, they were both going in.