6.9

Bill Meyer works at

2601 Lake Dr
Raleigh, NC 27607

Treated 2013 - 2017
He [Dr. Bill Meyer] communicated via email for the most part which is ok for simple questions but not for complicated matters or bad news. It was like he didn't have time to deal with me. When things went wrong, we were told we have a child and could maybe have another so we should feel grateful.
After the PGS was performed, we were told we had 4 abnormal embryos and 1 without a DNA read. We transferred the unknown one and had a baby. The embryologists [at Carolina Conceptions] saved 2 without our knowledge that could actually have been normal. Dr. Meyer emailed 3.5 years later askin what we wanted to do with these embryos. We were completely taken aback and then had to pay (at a discounted rate according to them) for repeat biopsy of the 2 and found 1 was for sure normal and the other was questionable. We moved forward with an FET for the normal embryo and at the time of transfer, the embryologist showed us a paper with the sex of the 2 embryos which we did not want to know. My 1st pregnancy test was positive but my repeat test 2 days later showed a drop in my hCG and I was emailed his information. No apologies were ever offered during this process and I was told to feel grateful for the opportunity to have another child. The practice manager begrudgingly gave me a kind of apology when I discussed these issues with her. I was told the embryologists who handled my embryos years ago should have discarded them all and they are no longer there. These people are trusted with embryos and could not do their job correctly and when faced with that, CC does not take responsibility for previous actions. I was told they can't go through thousands of embryos. When I addressed the sex of the embryo being revealed, I was told I should have told them that day I didn't want to know when I had told them previously I didn't want to know. The empathy and compassion is lacking and they seem to wash their hands of me since I had already given them the money they wanted and wasn't going to affect their bottom line. I have never been more disappointed in the way my care has been handled in my life.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
He communicated via email for the most part which is ok for simple questions but not for complicated matters or bad news. It was like he didn't have time to deal with me. When things went wrong, we were told we have a child and could maybe have another so we should feel grateful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Use another clinic
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
When mistakes were made or things did not go as planned, there were no apologies offered or efforts to ask how they could make it right. When discussed with the practice manager, I was told it was my take on things and made to feel my experience did not matter.
Describe the protocols Bill Meyer used in your cycles at Carolina Conceptions and their degree of success.
My IVF was a few years ago but it went smoothly as far as protocol and egg production. My embryos didn't develop as planned. Both FETs involved estrogen, methylpred, aspirin, and progesterone supplementation and went smoothly with no adjustments needed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
They were nice overall but you saw many different nurses with no point of care nurse
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic and front staff is nice. However, their treatment of you when things go wrong and compassion matters, is awful. The practice manager is supposed to deal with unhappy patients and difficult situations with empathy and she is the opposite and treats complaints with defensive remarks and no apologies.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions.
IVF with PGS and 1 FET - package deal for $18000 in 2013 I think FET - $3000 plus monitoring ($600) and bloodwork ($100) and meds ($250)
Describe Bill Meyer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Carolina Conceptions.
I appreciated the single ET based on PGS.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
After the PGS was performed, we were told we had 4 abnormal embryos and 1 without a DNA read. We transferred the unknown one and had a baby. The embryologists saved 2 without our knowledge that could actually have been normal. Dr. Meyer emailed 3.5 years later askin what we wanted to do with these embryos. We were completely taken aback and then had to pay (at a discounted rate according to them) for repeat biopsy of the 2 and found 1 was for sure normal and the other was questionable. We moved forward with an FET for the normal embryo and at the time of transfer, the embryologist showed us a paper with the sex of the 2 embryos which we did not want to know. My 1st pregnancy test was positive but my repeat test 2 days later showed a drop in my hCG and I was emailed his information. No apologies were ever offered during this process and I was told to feel grateful for the opportunity to have another child. The practice manager begrudgingly gave me a kind of apology when I discussed these issues with her. I was told the embryologists who handled my embryos years ago should have discarded them all and they are no longer there. These people are trusted with embryos and could not do their job correctly and when faced with that, CC does not take responsibility for previous actions. I was told they can't go through thousands of embryos. When I addressed the sex of the embryo being revealed, I was told I should have told them that day I didn't want to know when I had told them previously I didn't want to know. The empathy and compassion is lacking and they seem to wash their hands of me since I had already given them the money they wanted and wasn't going to affect their bottom line. I have never been more disappointed in the way my care has been handled in my life.

Treated 2015 - 2016
Success w/ Doc 7 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Meyer predicted that after just one egg retrieval that I would have enough eggs to have at least one baby, likely two, and maybe even more. I felt confident that I was making the right choice given that he was so confident that he could give me a baby after one round of treatment. He initially took a conservative approach because my hormone levels looked so good, but halfway through taking the injectable hormones, it was determined that I only had a few potential follicles and my first round was ended. We started over again using more drugs than before and even though my results were no where near as good as he had initially predicted, from what I've read they were pretty typical for a woman my age. After my egg retrieval, he gave me a 50% chance of having one baby.
My nurse [at Carolina Conceptions] made a few mistakes and I was not at all pleased with her. She also didn't seem to care the least bit. She called in one of my drugs incorrectly to the specialty pharmacy. She failed to send orders to the local doctor's office/lab, and when I went into the local office that morning as my nurse had instructed, the local office and local lab said they couldn't provide me with care without the orders. This was very stressful as it was early in the morning before I had to get to work and it was a challenge to get hold of someone at Carolina Conceptions at such an early time to place the orders. Also, when my hormone injectable protocol was changed, the nurse typed out the new instructions in an e-mail and somehow I figured out that something didn't make sense and I called her on it and she then made the necessary correction, but didn't seem the least bit sorry that she had made a mistake. She didn't seem to appreciate how much money I was spending or how much doing this procedure meant to me. She also gave me poorly thoughout advice on how much more medication to order because she failed to account for shipping and timing of delivery. It was my first time doing a treatment and I expected her to be experienced and not drop the ball on her end and hoped she would even handle my case with foresight.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
My gut feeling is that Bill Meyer is very good clinically. However, he is also a sales person. He confidently predicted much better results than what were achieved. Also, when his nurse didn't call in the correct amount of fertility drug medication he had prescribed for me, I questioned what was shipped to me, and he changed his prescription to match what she called in and said even though that is not what he wanted for me that it would still be fine. I was uncomfortable with that because I believed he must have had a reason for prescribing that much. Although, now, I don't know that it made a difference. So maybe he was right. That was just one mistake that his nurse made concerning my care.
I believe he is a very competent fertility specialist. Just remember, he is also a business man selling a service.
I was satisfied with Dr. Meyer's bedside manner. I chose neutral for a rating in regards to if I was treated like a number or a human. He is very dry and to the point which I don't mind at all. I appreciate hearing the facts and I don't feel any need for a more personal interaction. However, as a healthcare provider myself, I can imagine many patients not being satisfied with his non-personal approach.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Carolina Conceptions. (Assigned nurse: Terri Hunter)
My nurse made a few mistakes and I was not at all pleased with her. She also didn't seem to care the least bit. She called in one of my drugs incorrectly to the specialty pharmacy. She failed to send orders to the local doctor's office/lab, and when I went into the local office that morning as my nurse had instructed, the local office and local lab said they couldn't provide me with care without the orders. This was very stressful as it was early in the morning before I had to get to work and it was a challenge to get hold of someone at Carolina Conceptions at such an early time to place the orders. Also, when my hormone injectable protocol was changed, the nurse typed out the new instructions in an e-mail and somehow I figured out that something didn't make sense and I called her on it and she then made the necessary correction, but didn't seem the least bit sorry that she had made a mistake. She didn't seem to appreciate how much money I was spending or how much doing this procedure meant to me. She also gave me poorly thoughout advice on how much more medication to order because she failed to account for shipping and timing of delivery. It was my first time doing a treatment and I expected her to be experienced and not drop the ball on her end and hoped she would even handle my case with foresight.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The front desk is very friendly and professional. The financial person, Kelli Moege, was not helpful. I mentioned that my understanding of my insurance was that it would help pay for my drugs. She insisted that I didn't know what I was talking about and showed a little attitude. In the end, I was right, they did help pay a portion of my drug cost. She presented me with an estimated range of drug cost. I paid for my treatment at the clinic that day, believing that my drug cost would not go higher than the range she gave me. My drug cost were $3000 more than the maximum she had presented to me. I called when I found out the amount and was told that perhaps I was using one of the more expensive pharmacies. I told them that I was using the pharmacy that they chose for me. No one asked if I wanted to shop around. She then tried to say that they chose that pharmacy because it would accept my insurance, but remember, the day that my drugs were called in to the pharmacy, Kelly scoffed at the idea that my insurance would cover any of my drug cost. So, why do they provide a low range prediction of drug cost? I was being treated conservatively; so, I wasn't buying any more drugs than most patients. I think they give a low range because at the same time they are presenting their fees for services and they want to keep the expense total low. That way people will decide to move forward and pay the clinic fee. The patient doesn't find out until later what the drugs are really going to cost.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Carolina Conceptions.
My monitoring appointments were done at a local clinic, not by Carolina Conceptions.
The retrieval was $6950.00 Plus, $300 for anesthesia. Plus, $475 for one year of storage.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
I already provided details.
Treated 2016
Dr Meyer was very knowledgeable and I trusted his judgement and advice. He was not always easily accessible, but he would respond if I emailed questions which helped a good deal of the time. His bedside manner could be a little more warm and friendly.... There was one nurse in particular [at Carolina Conceptions] that was very rude and told me she was sure I wasn't pregnant before I took a pregnancy test (despite my not having a period). Her rationale--I was probably too old to conceive anyway. Yes, she said that to me as a patient of the clinic, clearly trying to get pregnant and believing I might actually be pregnant.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Don't expect a warm bedside manner.
Dr. Meyer was always pleasant with me (although he did make an inappropriate age joke once), but it was difficult to get to see him. His staff (one nurse in particular) was at times short and rude and unable or unwilling to provide answers to our concerns.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
There was one nurse in particular that was very rude and told me she was sure I wasn't pregnant before I took a pregnancy test (despite my not having a period). Her rationale--I was probably too old to conceive anyway. Yes, she said that to me as a patient of the clinic, clearly trying to get pregnant and believing I might actually be pregnant.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Strengths: Knowledgeable certified doctors and friendly front desk staff Weaknesses: Horrible nursing staff and not enough information provided to paitents. I was never quite sure what to expect next or what my next steps were.
They were pretty high for all the drugs. I'm a state employee and our insurance does not cover the costs. I have not tried IUI or IVF because of the cost.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
The nursing staff was the biggest drawback for this clinic.

Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Meyer will explain every thing in detail, which can be overwhelming. It is best to take notes so that you can refer to... He talked throughout the procedures so that you knew what was happening. He did not follow up with me after a negative test and that concerned me. I was very disappointed...
The nursing staff [at Carolina Conceptions] is extremely helpful. They go out of their way to make sure you feel comfortable and educated throughout the process...After my cycle failed, no one followed up with me. I was told that I was suppose to make an additional appointment, but I did not remember that. I thought that someone would have called after a few days...total cost for my cycle was about $15,000 including medications.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Dr. Meyer did a great job of explaining all of the procedures in detail. He talked throughout the procedures so that you knew what was happening. He did not follow up with me after a negative test and that concerned me. I was very disappointed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
The nursing staff is extremely helpful. They go out of their way to make sure you feel comfortable and educated throughout the process.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
I love this clinic! I would recommend it to anyone in the RTP area. I drive from out of town and it is comforting to know that I am taken care of while I am here. Everyone is friendly and the office is very clean. I felt comfortable throughout all of my visits.
I remember that the total cost for my cycle was about $15,000 including medications.
Treated 2015
I felt like he [Dr. Bill Meyer] was a competent doctor but did not treat me like he cared what really happened. He did not communicate effectively. I found out that I was pregnant through an email the first time. When the pregnancy didn’t go as expected he didn’t communicate me rather had staff call me...Stimulated with little success, retrieved, and fertilized my eggs. Transferred two embryos during our fresh transfer. I was told I was going to Miscarry due to my HcG dropping. Turned out to carry a healthy baby boy to term. My next frozen transfer of one embryo ended in a chemical pregnancy.
The clinic [Carolina Conceptions] has a great nursing staff. The other doctors at the practice seemed nice enough the few times I had to see them. They were kind to offer a military discount which I appreciated although their base prices are astronomical. I paid triple what I could have paid at a competitive clinic if I had known to look...Transferred two embryos during our fresh transfer. I was told I was going to Miscarry due to my HcG dropping. Turned out to carry a healthy baby boy to term. My next frozen transfer of one embryo ended in a chemical pregnancy.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
I felt like he was a competent doctor but did not treat me like he cared what really happened. He did not communicate effectively. I found out that I was pregnant through an email the first time. When the pregnancy didn’t go as expected he didn’t communicate me rather had staff call me.
Don’t expect him to be sympathetic or empathetic.
Dr. Meyer never took his time when speaking to me. I felt like he didn’t put a face to my case.
Used gonal and Follistim. And a few other drugs. Stimulated with little success, retrieved, and fertilized my eggs. Transferred two embryos during our fresh transfer. I was told I was going to Miscarry due to my HcG dropping. Turned out to carry a healthy baby boy to term. My next frozen transfer of one embryo ended in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
All but two were very helpful and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The clinic has a great nursing staff. The other doctors at the practice seemed nice enough the few times I had to see them. They were kind to offer a military discount which I appreciated although their base prices are astronomical. I paid triple what I could have paid at a competitive clinic if I had known to look.
One cycle of ivf ran me $18000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Carolina Conceptions.
Lack of communication. Bad bedside manner. Astronomical prices.
Treated 2015 - 2016
Dr Meyer was less compassionate about my losses. Whereas I was devastated. Often times I felt like he rushed me in and out of the office. I was left with unanswered questions and doubts about my situation.... Each time I saw Dr Meyer I left the office in tears. Both times after being told that I was pregnant, in the same breath I was told that it was ectopic. The last time resulted in me having to have my tube removed. And then to be told that my only tube remaining was damaged and blocked
The overall clinic [Carolina Conceptions] was okay. They were very friendly at checkout... Dr Meyer was less compassionate about my losses. Whereas I was devastated. Often times I felt like he rushed me in and out of the office. I was left with unanswered questions and doubts about my situation..... Each time I saw Dr Meyer I left the office in tears. Both times after being told that I was pregnant, in the same breath I was told that it was ectopic. The last time resulted in me having to have my tube removed. And then to be told that my only tube remaining was damaged and blocked
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
Be sure to have a full understanding of what to expect of your health going forward.
Dr. Meyer had seen many cases like mine, so I was just another. But what I experienced was heartbreaking because it was continuous with no known cause.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Carolina Conceptions.
I never had any dealings with the nurses
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
The overall clinic was okay. They were very friendly at checkout
Very expensive!! Even with my BCBS
None
Treated 2016
I saw him for the consult. Then never again. The nurses and a different doctor (a woman, I can't remember her name) provided the tx and ultrasounds, etc. So I don't really understand how he handled my case if I never saw him....I really only actually saw him one time. The nurses did everything....They were very attentive and listened to every concern. They made sure I understood all my instructions and medications. They were gentle and sweet.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. The nurses [Carolina Conceptions] don't judge you and are there to help you every step on the way. They understand you are scared and nervous.... I really only actually saw him [Dr. Meyer] one time. The nurses did everything.... They were very attentive and listened to every concern. They made sure I understood all my instructions and medications. They were gentle and sweet.... The nurses and a different doctor (a woman, I can't remember her name) provided the tx and ultrasounds, etc.
How was your experience with Bill Meyer at Carolina Conceptions?
I really only actually saw him one time. The nurses did everything.
Describe your experience with Carolina Conceptions.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. The nurses don't judge you and are there to help you every step on the way. They understand you are scared and nervous. They walk you through everything and no question is dumb.
I could only afford what my insurance covered. So I paid the copays.