4.8

Fair Oaks
12011 Lee Jackson Mem. Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22033
703.246.0500

As unexplained infertility patients [of Dr. Swelstad], it was really a bummer that we didn't find any answers or did any extra tests to have a more accurate diagnosis. Although I really appreciated that we went into the IUI cycle in full immersion, trying everything from the beginning. I wish there was more interaction with him, also if it was just via email...There weren't extra tests done, just standard...when they realized I had too many mature follicles. The dr who saw the result (no Swelstad), called me and explain that there was a high risk of multiple pregnancy, so it was protocol to stop the cycle. If we decided to go ahead and have timed intercourse (IUI was out of the pics at this point), we should have consider the possibility of selective reduction in the future. We agree that that wasn't a problem and went ahead. We are now in the 2 weeks wait
I forgot my insurance card, but I had the app with all the important numbers. The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] is not really digitalized, so couldn't just insert my patient numb, they had to make a paper copy of my card. In 2019 seemed weird. Financial person didn't contact us, but waited for us to contact him. I would have like to have somebody to talk to us right away...Nursing staff was nice and always understanding, also when I was crying really hard, due to my hormone imbalance.
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
As unexplained infertility patients, it was really a bummer that we didn't find any answers or did any extra tests to have a more accurate diagnosis. Although I really appreciated that we went into the IUI cycle in full immersion, trying everything from the beginning. I wish there was more interaction with him, also if it was just via email
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
expect no special treatment
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
There weren't extra tests done, just standard.
Describe the protocols Brad Swelstad used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
we did day 3 to 7 of letrozole since I already tried clomid with my OBG with no success. It follow with Gonal f on day 7 and 9 and then we went in for blood work at day 11, when they realized I had too many mature follicles. The dr who saw the result (no Swelstad), called me and explain that there was a high risk of multiple pregnancy, so it was protocol to stop the cycle. If we decided to go ahead and have timed intercourse (IUI was out of the pics at this point), we should have consider the possibility of selective reduction in the future. We agree that that wasn't a problem and went ahead. We are now in the 2 weeks wait
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Staff at the front desk wasn't extremely friendly. It didn't bother me too much, but it did bother my husband. I forgot my insurance card, but I had the app with all the important numbers. The clinic is not really digitalized, so couldn't just insert my patient numb, they had to make a paper copy of my card. In 2019 seemed weird. Financial person didn't contact us, but waited for us to contact him. I would have like to have somebody to talk to us right away. But it's all ok
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility.
we didn't pay for the first appointment, only for the meds (around $300 +/-), second ultrasound and blood work ($150 +/-)
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
once they told us that the drugs were being ordered, I called my pharmacy, but they couldn't verify the doctor name. So it took an extra day before I could pick up the meds
Shady Grove Fertility
Fair Oaks
Dr Swelstad is a very knowledgeable doctor. He really knew what he was talking about. He talked in a very clinical way and I understood all he was saying because I have a medical background, however it was hard for my husband to follow everything he was saying. He was not very compassionate. More just to the point about treatment.... He was very scientific and too the point and somtimes lacked that human side of things.
The clinic [Reproductive Care Center] never called or updated my online chart with some results I was waiting for. I had to call multiple times and leave messages to finally receive them. They were never added to my online chart. When I switched clinics I filled out the form to have them send my medical chart to the other clinic. They never did. I called them twice and they still never got it sent.
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Reproductive Care Center?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brad Swelstad at Reproductive Care Center?
If going to Dr Swelstad just know that he is very straight to the point and not overly compassionate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brad Swelstad at Reproductive Care Center?
I never really spent much time with the doctor after our initial consult. He was very scientific and too the point and somtimes lacked that human side of things.
Describe the protocols Brad Swelstad used in your cycles at Reproductive Care Center and their degree of success.
We were only under Dr Swelstad's care for a few months. He ran a few blood tests on myself and a sperm analysis on my husband. He dismissed some of my concerns about pelvic pain and other cyclical symptoms. My next fertility doctor dug a little deeper and found that I had endometriosis. He also told us that my husbands sperm analysis was great even though his morphology was low. He told us that should matter because he had a high enough count. After switching doctors we have found out that the low morphology could be a major cause of our infertility. Dr. Swelstad performed an HSG in which everything appeared to be clear. He then had me take Femara for 3 months since my OB had me on Clomid for 3 months previously and it was not successful. None of the cycles with Dr. Swelstad were successful and we left with an Unexplained diagnosis.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Care Center.
The nursing team was very compassionate and nice. It was really hard to get a hold of them and they didn't always call back unless I left multiple messages.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Care Center.
The clinic was nice. It was a small clinic, but was warm and inviting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brad Swelstad at Reproductive Care Center.
I had costs related to mostly the office visits and blood work. The most substantial cost was for the HSG.
Describe Brad Swelstad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Care Center.
This was not applicable for us.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Care Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Care Center.
The clinic never called or updated my online chart with some results I was waiting for. I had to call multiple times and leave messages to finally receive them. They were never added to my online chart. When I switched clinics I filled out the form to have them send my medical chart to the other clinic. They never did. I called them twice and they still never got it sent.
Reproductive Care Center
Clearfield

2014, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Brad Swelstad] was very kind. I just felt like I was a number, in that he didn’t remember certain things about my previous treatments/appointments. He tried a few different treatments and none worked, and encouraged to try IVF when I felt ready. I just felt like there was other things he could have tried/could’ve dug a little deeper.... Femara treatment for several cycles along with IUIs - I had unexplained infertility, so there was no rationale for trying these treatments-just kind of a shot in the dark. No results came of these treatments/cycles. He also did an HSG to try to further diagnose.
There was one nurse [at RRC-Clearfield] who was awesome and always showed compassion. I always felt well-cared for and listened to. There was another nurse (not sure of her name) that didn’t want to come in on a weekend to do an iui, so she just told me that the IUI’s don’t work well anyway (small chance of effectiveness). It was very disheartening.
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Reproductive Care Center?
He was very kind. I just felt like I was a number, in that he didn’t remember certain things about my previous treatments/appointments. He tried a few different treatments and none worked, and encouraged to try IVF when I felt ready. I just felt like there was other things he could have tried/could’ve dug a little deeper.
Push for further investigation in your diagnosis.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Care Center.
There was one nurse who was awesome and always showed compassion. I always felt well-cared for and listened to. There was another nurse (not sure of her name) that didn’t want to come in on a weekend to do an iui, so she just told me that the IUI’s don’t work well anyway (small chance of effectiveness). It was very disheartening.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Care Center.
Their secretary was so so great! I always felt she had amazing compassion! I think the overall course of the treatment depends on the physician employed at the location. I don’t think the physician I saw works at that location anymore.
IUI for the first time was $500ish-which included a sperm test. IUI $350 ish Any ultrasounds $200
Reproductive Care Center