7.2

Bradford Kolb works at

55 S. Lake Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101

2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Kolb was warm and personable during initial consult and subsequent appointments. He also maintained emotional neutrality and a very matter-of-fact tone throughout. Our regular appointments tended to be rushed without much time for questions. When we were successful and our pregnancy had reached 8 or 9 weeks, Dr. Kolb seemed genuinely delighted and he even surprised us with hugs!
Systems in place at HRC were mostly seamless and efficient. This was great but didn't always seem very personal/personalized...has an after hours answering service and they will relay messages to your doctor on weekends...has a wonderful social worker on staff...The care coordinator was the most helpful part of our team and the person with whom we had the most communication
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Form a positive relationship with your coordinator. Find out the best way to communicate with her and don't hesitate to ask questions! If you don't get answers right away, ask again. HRC also has a wonderful social worker on staff who can be a really wonderful and helpful resource for support through the ups and downs of fertility treatment. Finally, I wish I'd known sooner that in the event that something more urgent comes up between visits, HRC has an after hours answering service and they will relay messages to your doctor on weekends. This came in handy a couple of times when unexpected pain or bleeding occurred. It was helpful to be able to have a brief consult and receive some reassurance when the office was closed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Describe the protocols Bradford Kolb used in your cycles at HRC Fertility and their degree of success.
Our treatment protocol seemed pretty standard. I'm not aware of any special modifications made for us. If there were, we were not made aware of them. For us, this was apparently appropriately as our treatment was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Leona)
The care coordinator was the most helpful part of our team and the person with whom we had the most communication. Unfortunately, both our first coordinator (who we totally adored) and our second, both left the practice during our journey. This was not communicated to us by HRC until after several we'd made several unsuccessful attempts to reach our coordinators. This also made it difficult to feel really comfortable once we met Leona, who ended up being our point person until we "graduated" from HRC. Regardless, she was wonderful and patient with all of our questions. Truth is, all the coordinators are wonderful and will work hard to make sure you are well informed and supported. Try to form a positive relationship, but don't get too attached to one coordinator as she may be replaced with someone else at some point.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
HCR Pasadena is located conveniently , in a shiny, clean, and pleasant office setting. Processes are streamlined and efficient and staff is mostly friendly and accommodating. I found afternoon appointments overwhelming as it gets very busy and waits can be long, but early morning appointments were much more low-key, quiet and on time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility.
We paid about $10,000 out of pocket and the rest was covered by insurance. (I think it would have been closer to $25-27,000 without insurance coverage)
Describe Bradford Kolb's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at HRC Fertility.
In our case, Dr Kolb strongly encouraged single rather than multiple embryo transfer.
Pasadena

after the first egg retrieval...he [Dr. Bradford Kolb] adjusted his calibrations for the second round which improved the egg quality and quantity for the second retrieval. Additionally, by being our Doctor during the latest miscarriage, he has already proposed a sweeping new plan for the next pregnancy, including blood thinners, immuno-suppressants, and hormone regimes...prefers a safe, conservative approach and suggests single transfers. He is open to dual transfers but that would be his upper limit. He was rather blunt on the idea of 3+ transfers.
The clinic [HRC] is bright, well appointed, and very efficient. It tends to be on the busy side and often has multiple patients in the waiting area. Wait times are low if you arrive at your appointment as scheduled; we prefer early mornings and are able to arrive on time for work in a different part of town without much difficulty...Nancy [nurse] has been there every step of the way with us. She's been our hype-woman and has offered to help pick us up when we felt loss. She's been a great advocate for us and works with both partners, not just the patient undergoing treatment. I've been included in the plans of care and she's been careful to make sure I don't feel left out.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Kolb has a great deal of experience and is a calm hand through a difficult process. He is very sensitive to our emotional well-being and has shown concern for our individual journey. He was the practitioner who identified the third miscarriage and I witnessed the moment he realized what had occurred. He briefly was surprised but shifted into a comforting role in the blink of an eye. His own shock was hidden from us and he was present for our heart break. I will always respect him for putting aside his own disappointment in order to care for us as people.
Don't be fooled by the aloof-seeming nature he presents. He takes a bit to open up and is genuinely a good guy. He cares and takes the time to learn about you. He may seem robotic at first but he's a good doctor. Very gentle as well.
While Doctor Kolb can be awkward, he definitely has compassion for his patients. He was very careful following the miscarriage to share information when my wife & I were ready or asked questions. He has a busy practice but our interactions with him are friendly and warm.
Honestly, as the male partner, I wasn't subject to the program my female partner went through. I do know that, after the first egg retrieval (which utilized both oral and injectables), he adjusted his calibrations for the second round which improved the egg quality and quantity for the second retrieval. Additionally, by being our Doctor during the latest miscarriage, he has already proposed a sweeping new plan for the next pregnancy, including blood thinners, immuno-suppressants, and hormone regimes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy has been there every step of the way with us. She's been our hype-woman and has offered to help pick us up when we felt loss. She's been a great advocate for us and works with both partners, not just the patient undergoing treatment. I've been included in the plans of care and she's been careful to make sure I don't feel left out.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic is bright, well appointed, and very efficient. It tends to be on the busy side and often has multiple patients in the waiting area. Wait times are low if you arrive at your appointment as scheduled; we prefer early mornings and are able to arrive on time for work in a different part of town without much difficulty.
The egg retrievals were $2500 a piece, medication (for stimulation) was $2100 per stimulation cycle, and DNC following miscarriage was $500 or so after co-pay.
Dr. Kolb prefers a safe, conservative approach and suggests single transfers. He is open to dual transfers but that would be his upper limit. He was rather blunt on the idea of 3+ transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
It was a simple issue of two patients being given an ultra-sound at roughly the same time. Our nurse (substitute for our normal nurse) read notes for both charts and asked us a question about a clot Dr. Kolb had noticed (which did not occur during our procedure). No patient PII or information was disclosed, so it seemed innocent enough.

2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Kolb has a calm energy. He performed all ultrasounds and made himself available afterwards for as long as I needed and answered many questions very patiently...very realistic and communicated well what I could realistically expect. He was compassionate and used a protocol that he thought would yield the best results...did a mini I.V.F. with lower doses of medication due to not having a surplus of follicles. It was a very gentle approach and my body responded well. I also used I.C.S.I. with the idea that perhaps my follicles would be firm. I don't think it was necessary, as I had better success at another clinic without it....
You will be assigned a nurse [at HRC Fertility] for your calendar and most communication will be through them. Make sure you understand everything before you go home. It's not always easy to get in touch with them and sometimes you will be passed off to someone else who may not know your situation that well...nurses were very compassionate and personable, which is really important to me. They were mostly knowledgable. I saw different ones and sometimes the information was not consistent....
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Kolb was very realistic and communicated well what I could realistically expect. He was compassionate and used a protocol that he thought would yield the best results. I had previously opted to do 3 rounds of I.V.F. with plans to test the embryos after the final round. All of my eggs fertilized, and zero made it to blast. After this, Dr. Kolb suggested the next retrieval be a 3 day transfer. Since there was no male factor issues or anatomy issues on my part, I asked to do an I.U.I. For me, it was a more economical and logical choice since nothing done, including I.C.S.I. had changed the outcome. In my mind, it was find the lucky egg. So, we started that process. My body had responded well to meds previously, but was not during the I.U.I., so he increased the meds. The next time I went in, all of my follicles "disappeared". I did 3 consults with 3 different doctors after that and submitted all records and each of them said I had probably ovulated early. I really liked Dr. Kolb and found him to be otherwise very competent. I did move on to another Dr. however.
I did a mini I.V.F. with lower doses of medication due to not having a surplus of follicles. It was a very gentle approach and my body responded well. I also used I.C.S.I. with the idea that perhaps my follicles would be firm. I don't think it was necessary, as I had better success at another clinic without it.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at HRC Fertility.
The nurses were very compassionate and personable, which is really important to me. They were mostly knowledgable. I saw different ones and sometimes the information was not consistent.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
They are very friendly and sweet. You will be assigned a nurse for your calendar and most communication will be through them. Make sure you understand everything before you go home. It's not always easy to get in touch with them and sometimes you will be passed off to someone else who may not know your situation that well.
Because we were seen just as the pandemic was beginning, and I am guessing many of their international clientele were unable to travel, the price was at a discount. Mini I.V.F was somewhere around 14,000

2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Kolb can be mechanical at times...Dr Kolb was not a good communicator when I first saw him. He just told me that I only have a remote chance of conceiving and sent me on my way without telling me there were treatment options, I guess he assumed I knew about IVF and all of that, But I had never heard of anything prior. Dr Kolb has apologized to me before for seeming sterile and cold, but like I said, I don't take things personally.
They [HRC - Encino] are poor with communicating the finances. I was never warned of a drop cycle fee of a thousand dollars and was shocked the first time it happened...The clinic's strength is that you never have to wait in the waiting room for very long and they are organized... my husband had to donate sperm twice because they didn't test the first time within FDA guidelines. I don't understand why they can't test the first sample instead of needing all new (expensive) bloodwork and semen donation all over again.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Do not take his bedside manner personally. He is regarded as one of the top fertility doctor's in the world, I have seen the reviews and magazine covers and he has a wonderful nursing staff. He is non-threatening and would never be considered creepy or anything like that. You can trust him.
His main nurse, Debbie treats me like a friend, but Dr Kolb can be mechanical at times. But I don't take it personally.
He makes it clear that he is trying to save me money by starting off with less expensive meds and overtime my eggs would not respond, he would up the medications and we would just keep trying. I am about to try my last cycle with the most expensive medications available thus far.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Debbie V)
Nurse Debbie is the BEST. She even lets me text her on her personal cell phone because of the nature of the urgency with my scheduling. I understand ethical and professional boundaries, so I do not abuse this privilege and neither does she. She is very helpful and always there when I need to come in on a moment;s notice; and she always finds a way to get me in whether she is going to be in the office or not. She is warm and empathetic.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
They are poor with communicating the finances. I was never warned of a drop cycle fee of a thousand dollars and was shocked the first time it happened. Also, I had a friend pre-pay my IVF procedure and the clinic promised me that it could not be refunded and was safe for me to continue no matter what, but then the head of finances called me and said that my friend got it refunded back right in the middle of me getting treatments and the lady who promised this could not happen did not even apologize for the screw up. The clinic's strength is that you never have to wait in the waiting room for very long and they are organized. They charge twice as much for bloodwork as an outside clinic, so I would say that they are overly expensive. .
$500 for bloodwork. $600. a year sperm storage fee. $9.740.00 IVF procedure. $1,000. drop cycle fees, $240 Ultra sound visits. $50.00 consultation. $500 for sperm donation. $4,000. egg donor medications.
He will not transfer anymore than 2 at a time, but my nurse says that I might be able to talk him into trying 3.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I already described the mess up with not telling me about a surprise drop cycle fee of a thousand dollars and also the mess-up with saying my money was safe when it wasn't. Another thing that happened was my husband had to donate sperm twice because they didn't test the first time within FDA guidelines. I don't understand why they can't test the first sample instead of needing all new (expensive) bloodwork and semen donation all over again.
2006 - 2017, Unsuccessful
...The only negative with the follow-ups is that I feel like I am constantly re-living the past cycles and reminding him [Dr. Bradford Kolb] of what worked/didn't work, what he said about treatment changes, etc. We are currently undergoing (so far failed) IVF treatments with Dr. Kolb. He has been encouraging and hopeful the entire time we have been cycling with him. He has a calming and supportive bedside manner and I would recommend him to friends/family. Unfortunately all of treatment costs are out of pocket. It's devastating and heartbreaking each time it fails. I'm not sure if the doctors truly understand how difficult it is to just hand over, in our case tens of thousands of dollars, for something that has no guarantee of success at the end. As compassionate at Dr. Kolb is, I'm not sure he understands this aspect of treatments and how it influences the decisions we've had to m
Natalie [HRC nurse] is wonderful. She is kind, compassionate and understanding. She always responds to me as soon as possible when needed and answers (or finds the answers) I need in a timely manner...We are completely out of pocket so we have spent about $50,000 (IVFs in past and present). IVF cycles are about $10000 each, although they do have packages. FETs cost $3500. Drugs are separate and are charged through the pharmacy. They are several thousand each cycle. Surgery (hysteroscopy) was covered by my insurance. Pregnancy monitoring was not covered so I had to pay out of pocket for all of those.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
The first time I became a patient of Dr. Kolb was over 10 years ago. After years of infertility and multiple failed IUIs at another clinic, we decided to do IVF with Dr. Kolb. Our first IVF failed and Dr. Kolb changed our protocol. Second cycle failed as well. Dr. Kolb was great about getting us back in for a follow up appointment after each failed attempt and also giving us options going forward (i.e. We could change our approach and do GIFT or ZIFT). While on a treatment break, we miraculously conceived on our own. While we weren't technically under his treatment plan at the time, Dr. Kolb monitored us throughout the first trimester. Over 7 years later we returned for more treatments to try for another child after not being able to conceive on our own for all those years, again. Dr. Kolb seems to stay up to date on current treatments, testing, and research. He was very thorough, performing a hysteroscopy and running new blood tests, all of which came back great. I mentioned having a high ANA level at one time, as I was concerned it could effect cycle outcome, but he felt it didn't matter. I don't necessarily agree with this, but not all doctors believe that treating a high ANA makes a difference. I'm still not convinced of that, so I'd say that's one negative I personally feel about his treatment plans. He does prescribe Medrol, but I don't feel it's enough if there are immune issues going on with me. We then we started a new cycle with injections. It failed. Again. Dr. Kolb, was caring, as always, and re-evaluated our plan right away and added some meds (i.e. Lovenox). Our next cycle was an FET which was successful, but ended in a second trimester miscarriage (genetically normal baby). When I returned to his care again following the miscarriage, he immediately ordered a loss panel. This was helpful and thoughtful for me as you always want answers no matter what. Some doctors make you wait for a loss panel until several losses. The only negative with the follow-ups is that I feel like I am constantly re-living the past cycles and reminding him of what worked/didn't work, what he said about treatment changes, etc. We are currently undergoing (so far failed) IVF treatments with Dr. Kolb. He has been encouraging and hopeful the entire time we have been cycling with him. He has a calming and supportive bedside manner and I would recommend him to friends/family. Unfortunately all of treatment costs are out of pocket. It's devastating and heartbreaking each time it fails. I'm not sure if the doctors truly understand how difficult it is to just hand over, in our case tens of thousands of dollars, for something that has no guarantee of success at the end. As compassionate at Dr. Kolb is, I'm not sure he understands this aspect of treatments and how it influences the decisions we've had to make along the way.
Research treatments, possible problems that might impede success, and pay attention as you're cycling so that you are knowledgeable about choices and can ask for changes in protocol. I wish I would have adovocated more for myself when it comes to possible immune/high ANA issues.
Dr Kolb is a compassionate physician. He has great bed side manner and takes the time after failed cycles to follow up and go through what we could change. Sometimes I do feel as if he forgets pieces of my history, but I guess that's understandable with having several patients.
First cycle was injections with Lupron, delestrogen, progesterone injects, metformin and prednisone. Second, Centrotide was used instead of Lupron and heparin was added. Both produced highly fragmented day 3 embryos which resulted in a negative beta. When I returned this time around he has been having me use low-stim (hopes for better quality eggs), centrotide for a couple days before retrieval, then retrace progesterone, medrol and lovenox after retrieval or transfer (depending on the med). These past three cycle have been negative as well, although I do make it to blasts now (vs the cycles 10 years ago). Frozen transfer resulted in a pregnancy and I was on progesterone suppositories, estrace, medrol, lovenox, and delestrogen. Medrol is prescribed to try to prevent embryo rejection at transfer, lovenox to try to prevent blood clots and hopefully help with implantation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Pena)
Natalie is wonderful. She is kind, compassionate and understanding. She always responds to me as soon as possible when needed and answers (or finds the answers) I need in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
The clinic is clean, beautiful and organized. The surgery center is on location so everything is done at one place (hsg, hysteroscopy, retrieval, transfer, etc). Waits can vary. Sometimes I'm seen right away, sometimes I have to wait, but I understand surgeries can take longer than expected.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at HRC Fertility.
Monitoring appointments are available for several hours in the morning. You simply make an appt (usually at your previous appt). You sign in when you arrive and your name is called for you to go back into an exam room. Exam room are very nice.
Dr. Kolb always lets me decide (1 or 2), but recommends 2 embryos for each transfer because of my history. I agree with this approach in my case.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
I've only ever had very minor issues. They have said they would call if any leftover embryos made it to freeze, but did not call. This last cycle, icsi was preformed on my eggs, but we do co-incubation.

2016, Unknown Success
Dr. Kolb is a very smart man. He might not be the most talkative, but you can tell he's brilliant. The transfer was so much easier than I expected! I was most nervous about it and felling very vulnerable. You don't have access to him as a patient. Only his nursing staff. I get that he doesn't want to answer every single minuscule question about the process, but i think it'd be nice to get more answers directly from him.
When I had questions they'd go days without being answered. The baseline appt [at HRC Pasadena] wasn't made until 4:30pm the day before! My husband had to put his entire work day on ice because he didn't know what time he was needed, only that he was needed...Bottom line, I spoke to Monica and she is aware of what happened and she got me reassigned. Back to priming with the pill. I'll never know if this had an effect, but I produced far fewer eggs than was expected based on my hormone levels on my Day 3 check. Again, we will never know, but I am dead certain the doctor didn't prescribe
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
You're going to this clinic because of their success rates. Not to make best friends with your doctor. Know that going in and you'll be fine. Also, this guy knows his way around a cervix. haha! You want that in an RE.
I was primed with birth control but only due to scheduling. More on that later. I was on antagonist protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie)
I want to say that the situation was rectified after I spoke to MONICA who was the head nurse on BK's team. I was reassigned to KIMBERLY who was lovely, always responsive and answered my questions lovingly and took her time. But only after I had lived a nightmare with NATALIE PENA. Yes, she gets a first and last name call out. If she is assigned to you, run do not walk to Monica and ask to be reassigned. This nurse mismanaged my care so poorly, it MAY have affected my outcome. We'll never know. I said before I was primed with the pill. ONLY because I told Natalie that my husband had a work trip and I called to get more details on our IVF schedule. It was my first and I had no clue how long anything took, etc. She put me on the pill instead of letting me know that we could have frozen my husband sperm to use at egg retrieval. The original protocol was to start off a natural cycle. I never spoke to Dr. Kolb regarding this change, because I didn't think about it. Then there was the fiasco with the meds. I won't go into detail, but I could write a book. In the end, my meds ended up coming late and costing me $1000 more because she took too long to order them. Then she acted like she was dong me a huge favor by "loaning" me meds to start my cycle on time. When I had questions they'd go days without being answered. The baseline appt wasn't made until 4:30pm the day before! My husband had to put his entire work day on ice because he didn't know what time he was needed, only that he was needed. I could go on but I'll stop because I'm bored of my complaining. Bottom line, I spoke to Monica and she is aware of what happened and she got me reassigned. Back to priming with the pill. I'll never know if this had an effect, but I produced far fewer eggs than was expected based on my hormone levels on my Day 3 check. Again, we will never know, but I am dead certain the doctor didn't prescribe those pills. Maybe he would have anyway? But if I had known I could have just frozen my husbands sperm I would have opted for that 8 days a week! Again, we'll never know.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
Reference my review of my nurse

2009 - 2012, Successful
HRC Pasadena is a high volume clinic. Each RE has his own clinical team but there are shared back office functions (billing). Dr. Kolb was often late, often double booked, often scattered as he went from patient to patient... Because of the number of staff, often times the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
Dr. Kolb is a great RE, up to date on latest treatment options and no afraid to work outside of the box when standard treatment options might not be indicated. That said, as a patient, I had to lead our relationship, push for communication, push for answers, demand responsiveness. We developed a great relationship over the decade that I saw him and I know he was invested in helping us achieve our goal of starting and completing our family.
Do not leave any appointment without a full understanding. Ask as many questions as you need to satisfy your understanding of your treatment protocol and why. Do your research and don't leave things that you don't understand or that don't make sense to you unsaid.
I demanded a partnership with him that I'm not sure he would have offered of his own volition. So, I did feel like a human, although I pushed to have that relationship and I know others who I referred to him reported not having that experience.
I did non-lupron, estrogen priming, cetrotide cycles that all included high dosages of stimulating medication, Medrol, baby aspirin, a combination of lining building estrogen agents and usually a combination of progesterone support. I cycled well, fertilization reports were high, my lining was an issue (not trilaminar but I eventually had two live births anyway).
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Marie Gil)
She got to know me, what I needed from her in terms of communication and the expectation of having timely follow-up. She was genuinely interested in me, my husband and our results. She went above and beyond to offer donated medication when available to help defray costs.
My own egg cycles were $10K plus another 3-4K in medication and $2,500 in PGD. My donor egg cycle was 30K give or take. My donor embryo cycle was 3K
Describe the specific things that went wrong at HRC Fertility.
HRC Pasadena is a high volume clinic. Each RE has his own clinical team but there are shared back office functions (billing). Dr. Kolb was often late, often double booked, often scattered as he went from patient to patient. To this day I hear of patients waiting in an exam room for up to an hour, for retrievals or transfers being delayed by poor/over scheduling. If one is not on top of their own game, demanding of professional courtesies, it is a labrynth to navigate. They refuse to invest in patient facing personnel who could make each patient's experience far less stressful. Because of the number of staff, often times the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. No one is overseeing the bigger operation or work-flow. No one is trouble shooting how to improve the patient experience or all that concerned that the reputation of the clinic isn't great.

2019, Consult
I had a consultation with [Dr. Bradford Kolb]. He was not harsh in his delivery as he presented the facts and explained the IVF process. He was thorough in his explanation and kept me informed on what he saw during the ultrasound. He was neither too positive or negative but his overall approach was kind...He's going to present the facts and give you the information you need to make a decision on moving forward in the IVF process.
During my consultation everyone I encountered [at HRC] was very kind and patient. They were very thorough in their explanations...HRC in Pasadena has a calming atmosphere. As you approach the elevator there is a sign requesting that children stay on the first floor as it may be hard for patients to be around children. The lobby is very fancy and plays upbeat music. It is not a clinical environment. They have gone to great lengths to create a home like setting. It does have a calming affect. Coffee and water are provided. The receptionist is very friendly.
How was your experience with Bradford Kolb at HRC Fertility?
I had a consultation with Dr. Kolb. He was not harsh in his delivery as he presented the facts and explained the IVF process. He was thorough in his explanation and kept me informed on what he saw during the ultrasound. He was neither too positive or negative but his overall approach was kind.
Dr. Kolb was matter of fact in his delivery neither too positive or negative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at HRC Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Josephine Lai)
During my consultation everyone I encountered was very kind and patient. They were very thorough in their explanations.
Describe your experience with HRC Fertility.
My insurance does not cover the costs of IVF. I went in for a consultation and should expect to pay about $23,000 for an IVF and genetic testing of the eggs.