4.8

Quincy, MA 02169
Waltham
130 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451

I heard very little from the doctor [Dr. Brian Berger]. It was nearly impossible to directly ask him any questions, they were all answered by the nurses...He’s very intelligent and seemed to have reviewed my chart thoroughly. He wasn’t always the most optimistic though- he was frank and honest. He didn’t seem to think outside the box at all though or try to come up with solutions for my unique situation. He was also always running hours late for his appts.
IVF cycle cost was $14,500, with PGS costing additional $3500 +/- depending on how many embryos were tested, plus the cost of medications ($4000) [at Boston IVF]...The doctor doing the transfer I did not know and until we arrived at the office we didn’t know how many embryos we had left. Then, in a split second they told us we had 2 but never offered us the option of transferring both. After, they said they always recommend transferring only 1 the first cycle.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Schedule your appts with him WAY in advance and try to coordinate so that HE is actually performing your procedures (retrival and transfers).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
I heard very little from the doctor. It was nearly impossible to directly ask him any questions, they were all answered by the nurses. There were different nurses calling you all the time and almost never the same ones. None of them knew my particular situation completely. Whenever you called to ask a question, you always had to leave a voice mail and then the call had to be returned which made it difficult to get answers if you weren’t always available to answer your phone. This made it difficult to get answers and speak to an actual person about your questions.
Describe the protocols Brian Berger used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
He used Estradiol tablets at the end of your previous cycle for a week before your period. Then started Gonal-F on day 3, and then added low dose HCG after the first blood draw and U/S, followed by Cetrotide or Ganirilix for ovulation suppression. Then used Ovidrel for trigger. Followed by Crinone gel post transfer until blood test, 2 weeks after the transfer. I retrieved 13 eggs the first cycle, and 5 fertilized. By day 5 we had 1 embryo left to transfer. I became pregnant, but on U/S at 6 weeks, there was no fetus present and it was considered a blighted ovum. He recommended a D&C and sent the contents for genetic analysis to look for chromosomal abnormalities. We discovered the embryo had trisomy 16 and therefore was linked to miscarriage. The second cycle we retired 9 eggs after starting with a higher dose of gonal-F and using the same meds as prior. This time we only had 1 egg fertilize and transfered it on day 3, which was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were often not well educated and very dismissive of any concerns I had about the last
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
It takes many weeks to schedule an appt so schedule early! They are capable of working with out of town patients and doing phone appts as well. They have multiple locations of offices for different doctors so be aware of that. The main office is in Waltham where they do all the retrievals and transfers, but they also have other smaller offices.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
I did my monitoring appts at Albany IVF
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Describe Brian Berger's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Because I’m an out of town patient, I had to drive in on the day 5, with the potential plan of doing a transfer, not knowing if we had any embryos left. Someone was supposed to cal be first thing in the morning (the embryologist or nurse, or someone!) to let us know if we should still proceed in or stay home. No one called us as planned! We finally were able to speak with someone when we were almost already there. Then no one would tell us the results until we were in the transfer room and ready for the procedure- legs in the air and all kind of situation. We had very little time to digest the information before the transfer just happened!

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Brian Berger is a] Nice enough doctor, but hardly actually see him. The IUI procedures are even performed in another office, and are performed by staff from that office. Have had maybe 2 in person visits with him, and one or two phone consults...Of the numerous IUI cycles, only one egg fertilized, but it was a biochemical pregnancy, and what I thought was just a heavy period was apparently actually miscarrying at not even a full 4 weeks. I'm turning 43 in a matter of weeks and am super frustrated with the fact that after so much time, money, stress and tears, I still have no children.
A couple of times I wasn't called back with next step instructions [at Boston IVF] when I was supposed to be, despite my calling the office repeatedly, and both times that happened, it wound up being a canceled cycle. I still wonder if it is because they screwed up and I didn't get the instructions properly...Let's just say that, for the 7 or 8 IUI attempts we tried, I maxed out 3 credit cards...Theyre often very, very behind schedule. Have sat in the waiting room for over an hour before being called in. The woman who does the blood draws is absolutely fabulous, though. Im a tough draw, my veins like to roll away and hide, but she can always manage to get one to cooperate.
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
You may get frustrated with the entire clinic.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Some were great. One older woman does NOT belong working there. No empathy at all. I wish I'd written down her name to be more specific. Made an already heartbreaking day worse.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
A couple of times I wasn't called back with next step instructions when I was supposed to be, despite my calling the office repeatedly, and both times that happened, it wound up being a canceled cycle. I still wonder if it is because they screwed up and I didn't get the instructions properly and threw off what should have happened w
South Shore

Overall my experience of him [Dr. Berger] is that he is conceited and too busy. When on the rare occasion we did get to see or speak to Dr Berger he seemed smug and smirked when you asked questions. My experience as a patient was that I was treated as a number. We had two failed IUI's and a miscarriage with our first IVF cycle and barely ever spoke to the actual doctor let alone see him. He has his nurses do everything...
During my 10 months under Dr Bergers [at Boston IVF] care we had something go wrong with every single appointment. From smaller things such as forgetting to book our appointments, calling and asking about procedures I didn't have, not remembering why I was in for certain appointments - to larger things like having me wait over an hour before an IUI transfer and not telling me why or that it was ok, nurses thinking I was doing a fresh transfer 5 minutes before surgery when we paid and signed for a freeze all PGS, cancelling appointments with the actual doctor 2 minutes after telling me I am miscarrying (just to name a FEW instances).
How was your experience with Brian Berger at Boston IVF?
Brian Berger was my first meeting about IVF. It took me 3 weeks to get an appointment to see him. During my initial IVF meeting, mixed with being new to it and Dr Berger putting on a show like he cared about me, I was excited to choose him as my doctor and get started on making a baby. Overall my experience of him is that he is conceited and too busy. When on the rare occasion we did get to see or speak to Dr Berger he seemed smug and smirked when you asked questions. My experience as a patient was that I was treated as a number. We had two failed IUI's and a miscarriage with our first IVF cycle and barely ever spoke to the actual doctor let alone see him. He has his nurses do everything. Which makes them seem overwhelmed and uninterested in patients as humans. During my 10 months under Dr Bergers care we had something go wrong with every single appointment. From smaller things such as forgetting to book our appointments, calling and asking about procedures I didn't have, not remembering why I was in for certain appointments - to larger things like having me wait over an hour before an IUI transfer and not telling me why or that it was ok, nurses thinking I was doing a fresh transfer 5 minutes before surgery when we paid and signed for a freeze all PGS, cancelling appointments with the actual doctor 2 minutes after telling me I am miscarrying (just to name a FEW instances).
Don't have high expectations
Of the 10 months I was under Brian burgers care I saw him a total of three times. One of which was only because the nurse that I know there insisted that he see us. You are not allowed to talk to the doctor. During the 2 1/2 months that are pregnancy consisted of he canceled appointments that were previously set to talk with him. Different nurses called me all of the time and everyone contradicted each other. No one ever knew who I was or why they were calling me. Does anyone look at a chart there?
Before beginning any IVF treatments Berger ordered us do blood tests, semen analysis and hysterosalpingogram to see how my Fallopian tubes were. Blood test came back good and tubes were open. At our follow up he said my husband had low morphology and that there is nothing to help that. Suggested we do anywhere from 1 to 3 IUI's then IVF. We did two IUI's - first one failed second was a chemical pregnancy. There was nothing done after these. No additional testing. No uterine exams. We proceeded with IVF cycle which we did egg retrieval process, freeze all with Pre genetic screening, and implant. Dr Berger used estrogen pills and patches as well as progesterone in oil and crinone. My lining was a problem as it wasn't getting thick enough but Berger never increased my dosage or checked my uterus. Just eventually said it was layered enough but never reached 8mm. After an abnormal pregnancy and miscarriage at 8 1/2 weeks my HCG levels were going down very slow - only thing done here was blood tests. I found out after I left Boston IVF that there was fluid in my lining. That was never brought to my attention at Boston IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The only reason I kept my sanity with the nurses at Boston IVF was because I knew Dr Bergers nursing assistant and could text or call her with all my questions when they went unanswered. Other people wouldn't be that lucky. The nursing staff is young and they have high turnover. There were different nurses calling all of the time from Quincy and Waltham. They get agitated with questions and ALL of them contradict what the other says and what the Doctor says. When they call it's as if they don't even bother to open your file beforehand. They call and ask about procedures you didn't have, they call with results and don't even know why you were in for that appointment, they misplace documents, they forget to make your appointments and they lack compassion in every sense.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Strengths: they call when they say they will Weaknesses: take time to get insurance approval, takes weeks for an appointment with the doctor if THEY decide you can even have one, unorganized, lack compassion, contradict each other, it's run like a factory.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Berger at Boston IVF.
Covered by insurance. Insurance approvals took a while. They didn't willingly offer information if it required you to pay out of pocket. I think all options should be presented and the patient should decide if they want to pay for it or not
The doctor made it known that he doesn't promote multiple embryo transfer as there are risks involved. One of the NP's also have us a lecture on why not to do multiple embryo transfer. When we were approved by insurance for single embryo transfer I asked the financial coordinator if it doesn't work can we implant 2 next time - she said no. I then asked if my husband and I were willing to pay for a second embryo to be implanted could we do that and the financial coordinator said no. After our single embryo miscarriage I found out this was not true. We are absolutely entitled to pay out of pocket for embryo transfers.