4.6

Highland Park
767 Park Avenue W
Highland Park, IL 60035
847-433-4400

When we initially met him [Dr. Kaplan] he took the minimal amount of testing we had done to date at face value (labs for me and 1 SA for my husband). He quickly diagnosed our issue as MFI despite every single one of my ultrasounds having notes that stated both of my ovaries met the criteria for PCOS. He made no mention of this and made no adjustments to my protocol...It is clear that Dr. Kaplan is extremely intelligent but he is more of a salesman than he is a physician. In our initial consultation, he raved about how 'easy' our case was and was so bold as to promise it would not take much to get us pregnant. Unfortunately, in doing so he ignored blatant indicators in both my labs and imaging that I had PCOS. I was put on a generic protocol. Even when the protocol failed and we looked for reasons and potential causes he continued to ignore the notes in every single one of my ultrasounds on the condition of my ovaries.
There is a large staff at FCI and you rotate through whoever is on that day. Some are wonderful (Mimi, Caitlin, Jill) and some were just cold and came across as if you were inconveniencing them asking questions about triggers/labs/next steps...When our PGT results came in the lab tech called with the basic report...However, the only person FCI would allow to discuss those results with me was Dr. Kaplan and he did not have an appointment for 3 weeks.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Kaplan is not the right physician if the cause of your infertility is still unclear and if you want a protocol that is customized to your unique diagnosis. He does not do much in terms of work up and pushes hard for IVF as the first course of treatment even if underlying issues are still unclear. As a result, the protocol you're initially put on will not be tailored to you. If you feel strongly about using Dr. Kaplan (he is very nice and very warm) I can't stress enough how important it will be to advocate for yourself to do research on testing before starting your protocols. Despite the fact that he agreed with me (wholeheartedly) I had to ask for an ERA with only 1 embryo to transfer, I had to as for PGT testing, I had to ask for ICSI despite my husband's poor morphology. He has a cookie-cutter template and if you want a unique approach you will have to do the research and present it to him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
As time went on with our treatment it became clear that Dr. Kaplan's drive for a successful outcome was related more so to volume of success vs. % of patients with good outcomes. When we initially met him he took the minimal amount of testing we had done to date at face value (labs for me and 1 SA for my husband). He quickly diagnosed our issue as MFI despite every single one of my ultrasounds having notes that stated both of my ovaries met the criteria for PCOS. He made no mention of this and made no adjustments to my protocol.
Describe the protocols Brian Kaplan used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
When we came to Dr. Kaplan we believed our issue was MFI (poor morphology, good counts, and motility). We moved directly into two medicated IUIs. I am a hyper responder and got 3 follicles each cycle with just 5mg of Letrozole (he is not a Clomid fan). After both failed we moved to IVF. I did 21 days of birth control, 225 gonalF, and 75 menopur with an antagonist protocol. We did a Lupron trigger because my estrogen climbed very high and my retrieval yielded 40+ eggs. Only 14 were mature, 11 fertilized, 6 embryos and just 1 tested PGT normal. I believe this protocol was far too aggressive for a hyper responder like myself.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
There is a large staff at FCI and you rotate through whoever is on that day. Some are wonderful (Mimi, Caitlin, Jill) and some were just cold and came across as if you were inconveniencing them asking questions about triggers/labs/next steps (Donna in particular). They have a great system for asking questions in the portal and getting a quick response but it was very luck of the draw on how thoroughly your question would be answered. For example, in our first IUI after a monitoring appointment they just emailed me and told me to trigger and call for an IUI on a certain date - that was it. The front desk had no instructions when I called and I had to follow up and ask what the protocol was for the day of (my husband's sample, arrival time, would the Dr be there? - he is not).
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It's a massive operation. There are pros and cons to that. Pros: it's easy to get in for a generic appointment (monitoring, imaging, labs), the nurses respond within 30-60 minutes in the portal Cons: because it is so big and because they take on SO many patients it's clear that everyone who works there is stressed - they are rude and short with you off the bat which just adds to the stress of infertility. Billing is a nightmare and it often feels like the right hand isn't talking to the left.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
When our PGT results came in the lab tech called with the basic report. She was unable to go into any detail (egg quality report, sperm quality report) anything that would have alluded to the underlying cause which I understand. However, the only person FCI would allow to discuss those results with me was Dr. Kaplan and he did not have an appointment for 3 weeks. We had to wait, knowing that nearly all of our embryos were not viable, for 3 weeks to learn about what happened and what we could do next. We lost a month in our transfer as a result
Chicago/River North

He [Dr. Brian Kaplan] is charismatic and charming...I was not always sure he remembered who I was, though he was very polite the few times I have directly interacted with him... I feel though unless you have a fairly easy case, easy to stimulate, lots of eggs, good rate of fertilization then he is willing to work with you. If you are a challenging or slightly difficult case, meaning you have DOR, poor eq quality, high attrition rate of your eggs then you should definitely look elsewhere. He seemed to have no added advice or plan of action if you had a poor stim cycle.
FCI is crowded. Runs like a factory. You will likely feel like a number but that was ok with me. I care about the results. The monitor days seem to be pretty efficient with labs and sono. They have hours that accommodate most schedules. They open at 6am... In my second cycle no nurse from FCI called me to tell me when too trigger. I called at least 3 times in which they told me " to calm down, and a nurse will call me to trigger". No one did. The next morning, I finally reach Eileen. She never apologized for this mishap. She wanted me to drive an hour to Highland park to see if I ovulated, which I had. She never apologized, in fact she blamed me!!! I have heard other stories from other women about her. She is terrible.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He is very charming. I feel though unless you have a fairly easy case, easy to stimulate, lots of eggs, good rate of fertilization then he is willing to work with you. If you are a challenging or slightly difficult case, meaning you have DOR, poor eq quality, high attrition rate of your eggs then you should definitely look elsewhere. He seemed to have no added advice or plan of action if you had a poor stim cycle.
If you are older, 40 and over, DOR, this is not the doctor you should choose. He is very sweet, but if you are a difficult case, then I would choose another clinic.
He is charismatic and charming. FCI is a busy clinic. I was not always sure he remembered who I was, though he was very polite the few times I have directly interacted with him.
Initially, he started me on OCP, which over suppressed me. That was stopped half way through. The 2nd time, he primed me with Estrogen and Progesterone and that helped my numbers. The Menopur and Gonal were high doses. I cannot recall the exact numbers. 5 eggs from this cycle. The 3rd time, he did Estrogen and progesterone priming, but added Lupron, and same doses of Menopur and Gonal. 1 egg from this cycle. My AFC was 10-11.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Eileen/Aileen, Carmen)
Aileen/Eileen is terrible. She is rude, condescending and snarky. In my second cycle no nurse from FCI called me to tell me when too trigger. I called at least 3 times in which they told me " to calm down, and a nurse will call me to trigger". No one did. The next morning, I finally reach Eileen. She never apologized for this mishap. She wanted me to drive an hour to Highland park to see if I ovulated, which I had. She never apologized, in fact she blamed me!!! I have heard other stories from other women about her. She is terrible.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
All my costs were covered by BCBS AFTER I met my deductible which was $2400 in network.Meds covered pretty much under my insurance.
2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
He closely monitored me, frequently I was going in daily. ... Dr. Kaplan prefers transferring two embryos. ... He’s willing to adjust treatment a bit but I think he’s been in the game so long that he’s looking at statistics and not considering individualized options to better help the specific needs of his patients. ... Dr. Kaplan is great, but doesn’t seem willing to think outside of the box. ... He will not order additional testing until you’ve reached 3 miscarriages.
it’s easy to make appointments but there [FCI] is very little done to make sure the process runs smoothly. I would routinely wait 45-75 minuets for bloodwork and ultrasound.That paperwork is not closeiy watches either. ... They disclosed HIPAA information to a third party. The nurses do not closely review changes in medications. ... Lab personnel disclosed gender of embryos despite request not to learn that information.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Kaplan is extremely knowledgable but does not push the boundaries for treatment or looking for answers. He will not order additional testing until you’ve reached 3 miscarriages. Thankfully my OB ran a thrombophelia screen after two and discovered an issue. Dr. Kaplan added lovenox, but then after a 3rd miscarriage mentioned additional medications to consider. After having that many losses, and doing PGS, I was shocked to hear that there were additional low risk medications to add that could help. I wish he would have laid that all out ahead of time.
If you aren’t having success push him on options. He’s willing to adjust treatment a bit but I think he’s been in the game so long that he’s looking at statistics and not considering individualized options to better help the specific needs of his patients. For instance 2/3 of my pregnancies have been twins. I luckily get pregnant easily, but don’t stay pregnant. I sought a second opinion and that RE suggested only transferring one embryo next time to avoid complications of a twin pregnancy cycle given my fertility issues. I was shocked Dr. Kaplan hadn’t suggested this as a means to lower the risks I face with a clotting disorder that would make a twin pregnancy especially difficult. Dr. Kaplan is great, but doesn’t seem willing to think outside of the box.
Dr. Kaplan made sure to meet with us a number of times to answer any questions.
Dr. Kaplan’s stimulation protocols for egg retrieval’s worked very well for me. He closely monitored me, frequently I was going in daily. I don’t recall the specific protocol.
Dr. Kaplan’s nurses are mostly responsive. There are a number of them and there appears to be a fair bit of turn over (new names each cycle). Unfortunately I ran into a number of problems because FCI’s computer system had issues working with same sex couples and not generating paperwork the nurses wanted. Rather than communicate this issue to me I was left in the car waiting for responses. Also the nurses have difficulty if you deviate from their standard plans. For instance Dr. Kaplan added a drug (lovenox) for a FET that I had not been on previously. I spoke to Dr. Kaplan about it, he explained the drug and the. It wasn’t called in or added to my schedule. When I asked the nurse I was told I was mistaken twice. I had to explain to the nurse my history of loss and diagnosis to make it clear I wasn’t just asking for the medication and then the nurse admitted that Dr.Kaplan had added it to my chart. The nurses just missed it. When going through an already stressful process, it’s hard to have the nurses add to the stress.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
it’s easy to make appointments but there is very little done to make sure the process runs smoothly. I would routinely wait 45-75 minuets for bloodwork and ultrasound. No one is checking to make sure patients are seen timely. I was told part of this is a computer issue. Part of it is just sloppy office management. For patients to be called for ultrasound a sheet of paper is placed in wall holder for ultrasound techs to grab. I learned from one ultrasound tech that she will take a stack at a time because she likes to be busy. Well, if you’re at the bottom of that stack you’re waiting in a line you didn’t have to wait in because another tech could have seen you in a reasonable order. That paperwork is not closeiy watches either. I had my name, DOB, MRN, home address and medical information disclosed to a third party because they mistakenly gave away my paperwork. Finally scheduling to see Dr. Kaplan is a nightmare. His scheduler Carmen is horrible. I think she might only work one day a week. It takes approximately 5 phone calls and messages to get her to return your call. And when she does she doesn’t give possible dates,she just wants you to call back but she’s never there! So you can’t even call and leave a message saying those two dates work, please let me know which one you schedule me for. She is horrible.
Typically I had a $30 copay for ultrasounds and the costs for FET and ER were nominal under BCBS.
Describe Brian Kaplan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Dr. Kaplan prefers transferring two embryos. He never discussed eset.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They disclosed HIPAA information to a third party. The nurses do not closely review changes in medications. Getting medical records is an absolute chore and takes multiple follow ups and requests. Lab personnel disclosed gender of embryos despite request not to learn that information.
Chicago/River North
The one time I did meet with Dr. Kaplan, he was very kind and spent time answering all of the questions we had - I did not feel rushed. ... I’m at the point now where I’m a bit frustrated as next steps are not clear to me. ...While meeting in person with Dr. Kaplan, he was very kind, caring and compassionate. Upon our initial consultation I was very excited to work with him and eager for what was to come.
The staff [FCI] is very knowledgeable and helpful as well. Improvements in this clinic would be in the billing department- as much as they say they want to make it easy I’ve only experienced stress and frustration. For me it has been challenging enough paying out of pocket, Chicago tiered, expenses and they have messed up my bill about 50% of the time.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
I’ve been visiting the clinic for four months and only met with him once, so very little to go off of. The clinic pushes most of the communication and forward plans through the nurses so I have much more experience working with them. The one time I did meet with Dr. Kaplan, he was very kind and spent time answering all of the questions we had - I did not feel rushed. I would overall like more interaction with him, but cost for appointments without insurance coverage is prohibitive so I’ve relied on email communications.
I do believe the clinic is good and ultimately if your case is complicated I think the staff is strong and experience is significant that you are in the right hands. If you are expecting more personalized 1:1 with Dr. Kaplan himself, ensure that you are financially able to make the appointments with him.
While meeting in person with Dr. Kaplan, he was very kind, caring and compassionate. Upon our initial consultation I was very excited to work with him and eager for what was to come. It was apparent that he has been doing this a long time, so was realistic about expectations, but also treated me as though I was not just the tenth person he had seen that day. Following the consultation though, I have really just felt like a number at the clinic. Part of this, I believe, is a result of a large clinic and so many patients moving through the doors. Regardless, I do find it challenging to get personalized feedback on how I am progressing through treatment.
I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility while my husband has been diagnosed with mild male factor infertility. To date, we’ve gone through 3 IUIs with no success. I’m at the point now where I’m a bit frustrated as next steps are not clear to me. For each IUI treatment I started off on letrozole, followed by a trigger shot of Ovidrel, and progesterone to follow (Crinone). Monitoring throughout each cycle indicates I’ve responded positively and no changes were made to prescribed dosages.
Nursing staff is primarily who you work with at this clinic and they are great! They are absolutely the messenger between the doctor and you. Feedback on monitoring is very timely, they are quick to respond to any questions, and have been very accommodating working around my schedules as needed.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
This clinic is massive and with multiple locations. As a result, I have found it very easy to make appointments and the available times have been very accommodating to my schedule (630am appointments!). The staff is very knowledgeable and helpful as well. Improvements in this clinic would be in the billing department- as much as they say they want to make it easy I’ve only experienced stress and frustration. For me it has been challenging enough paying out of pocket, Chicago tiered, expenses and they have messed up my bill about 50% of the time. Not to mention the 30min waits I spend with the billing department trying to resolve. Huge opportunity for improvement here!
I have no comparison but costs seemed pretty as expected. I’ve challenged quite a few bills as an out of pocket patient as they do charge for everything! I’ve been able to lean on my insurance for some of the blood work related costs as they are willing to accept this as non-treatment related activity and reduce it significantly. I also was surprised to see that despite $1400 (for me) in IUI clinic related costs, there is also a $300 ‘management of ovulation’ fee that seems pretty excessive. For out of pocket patients, they discount $25.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
My first IUI cycle the nurses forgot to call me with results and to discuss next steps. Fortunately I saw a message with results and next steps pop-up in their online communication system at which point I called to discuss, but their standard practice is to call first and it was definitely a miss!
Chicago/River North

During our 1st consult w/Dr. Kaplan, he said "you'll get pregnant easily, no problem". Well he was wrong & it's been a painful journey. He was too busy to spend quality time with us & hence we felt like a # & that he definitely didn't care about us at all. Our few conversations were always short because he was too busy! It greatly disturbed my husband & his total lack of compassion.
I had embryos that were supposed to be frozen, but were not looking like they were developing well & they did not update us timely for something so crucial. They had no sense of urgency or real willingness to accommodate us in any capacity. ... You must manage your own care at FCI as they make way too many errors that affected our 1st round.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Don't do it. Go to a smaller clinic that truly cares about your success. If you enjoy having to ask the same questions over & over & beg for answers, then this is the doctor for you. He has way too many patients since this is a factory. He will not give you the attention and tailoring your journey might need, due to his overload of patients.
This joke of a clinic is a total factory. They only care about your money & definitely don't care if you get your baby. They made so many constant errors, it was shocking & our friends had the same experience. Their waiting room was always a 2+ hr wait & it was a zoo every day. They screwed up our chart & even made errors the day of the retrieval which ruined the quality of the only embryo from our 1st round. There's a reason people rave about CCRM & this place was the total opposite.
Dr Kaplan's nurse was always abrupt & never helpful with accurate information. It was always pulling teeth. She was rude & it felt like she didn't enjoy her job as she always had a terrible attitude. Even when it was urgent, she was not helpful when we really needed her. Ironically I don't think she cares or understands how stressful this journey truly is.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They were way too busy to care. They had no strengths at all. You must manage your own care at FCI as they make way too many errors that affected our 1st round. I wanted to get used to the "cattle call" style, but it was difficult to do so. We had many problems & things went very poorly due to their lack of organization because they cannot keep their patients straight & the # of errors was beyond shocking. I had embryos that were supposed to be frozen, but were not looking like they were developing well & they did not update us timely for something so crucial. They had no sense of urgency or real willingness to accommodate us in any capacity. But they had no problem charging our American Express card.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Yes it was definitely a cattle call with a 2+ hr wait every time.
As they didn't take my insurance, I spent over $60,000 for 2 rounds.
He loves to implant 2 embryos each time, even when it's not what the patient wants. They care more about their success #'s than listening to your needs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Way too many things went wrong to detail. Nurses calling with conflicting info constantly. They told my husband he didn't complete his testing which had already been done. They forgot to mention the embryo from round 1 needed to be PGD'd fresh & as they forgot, it ruined the quality because then they had to thaw it to be tested during round 2. Don't go near this clinic if your true desire is a baby.
Chicago/River North

During our initial consultation [with Dr. Brian Kaplan], we had full confidence in him and he said "you'll get pregnant, no problem". It was a lot harder and has taken much longer than what he led us to believe. When it came to communication, he didn't explain anything and in fact didn't spend much time with us at all. I only saw him during retrieval days in passing, we met him in person once for our consultation and twice for a meeting that my husband and I set up with him.
[Fertility Centers of Illinois] prescribed an adhesive patch knowing that I had a sensitivity to latex and adhesives. I have scars a year later. I was also allergic to medication taken vaginally and in my next order they gave me pills to insert vaginally. I had to call them and clarify that I could not take them, so they changed my medication to an injectable form. I understand it might be difficult to keep up with patients if there are so many. Also, it was difficult to set up appointments with the doctor. Sometimes when calling for an answer from any nurse, I wouldn't get a call back right away. I had to call a few times.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He was a really nice guy. During our initial consultation, we had full confidence in him and he said "you'll get pregnant, no problem". It was a lot harder and has taken much longer than what he led us to believe. When it came to communication, he didn't explain anything and in fact didn't spend much time with us at all. I only saw him during retrieval days in passing, we met him in person once for our consultation and twice for a meeting that my husband and I set up with him. All conversations were extremely short. I know he's busy and you have to move quick in a clinic as busy as theirs, but it led to a lot of frustration for my husband and I.
You will feel like you're at a factory. Bug the office and ask as many questions a you can. If you don't ask, they won't tell you. You have to continuously check on them to make sure everything is on track, because they will not reach out to you. Never stop asking them questions until you understand.
The office feels like a factory. There are always a good number of people in the waiting room when I'm there. Service is quick because it has to be in order to see the many people waiting in line. Nothing was never explained and if it was, I had to ask and it was never in detail. I was like a science experiment, they just 'did' and never explained the 'why'. A number of times my medication order was incorrect, whether that is FCI's fault or the pharmacy, I don't know. But every time I had medications delivered to me, it was never correct. One time I missed a whole cycle because I wasn't clearly communicated to me when I would start medication so that set me back a few months. All of our communication with the office was very, very quick and not thorough. He's a really nice guy and the nurse was very nice, but I just felt like they didn't spend time with me and it didn't matter if I got pregnant or not, it's so busy there, losing one patient won't hurt their business.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Ilynne)
Ilynne was the nicest nurse there and she was very good. The only thing that we didn't like was that the nurses were difficult to reach at the office. They didn't call back right away and it was hard to get a hold of someone when you needed a quick response (if I had general questions and was seeking answers from anyone from the nursing team). Luckily, we had Ilynne's cell number and she was always available and it didn't matter what time of the day I called, she always answered. They also came up with a portal where you can email messages, and that made communication better.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The staff is very nice and the office visits are very quick (sometimes there is a wait, but the actual tests, ultrasounds, consultations, etc are all fast). Ask as many questions as you can to make sure you understand your cycle every step of the way. You'll need patience.
Monitoring appointments were easy to schedule and they were very fast. Many times though, the parking garage ran out of spots, so I had to park very far on snowy days and arrived very late for my appointments as a result.
Some of the most expensive out of pocket costs were medication and hysteroscopy that he ordered through my gynecologist. My insurance covered a lot of the other expenses.
It was our decision, ultimately, but our nurse suggested doing one at a time because I was a smaller woman and with a multiple transfer there are higher risks involved as far as losing a baby.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I missed a cycle once because they didn't clearly communicate the exact date that I would start my medication. Also, those medications arrived late. Several times my medication order was screwed up and I had to drive all over Chicago to find medication because I was supposed to take it asap. One time my appointment was nowhere to be found, but they still squeezed me in. They also prescribed an adhesive patch knowing that I had a sensitivity to latex and adhesives. I have scars a year later. I was also allergic to medication taken vaginally and in my next order they gave me pills to insert vaginally. I had to call them and clarify that I could not take them, so they changed my medication to an injectable form. I understand it might be difficult to keep up with patients if there are so many. Also, it was difficult to set up appointments with the doctor. Sometimes when calling for an answer from any nurse, I wouldn't get a call back right away. I had to call a few times.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Brian Kaplan] is incredibly caring, will try with you until you give up, will not pressure you, but will inform you of your options. The bad thing is that he has too many patients, and therefore no time to really tailor treatment to someone that is not responding well to drug stimulation, he just couldn't keep track of who you were or what your situation was.
I suffered from diminished eggs reserve, and was told by the nurse [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] after the largest follicle count I had to date that I was going to be placed on birth control to make my ovaries "rest". I asked if I was then going to lose those follicles, she said no, when I most certainly would. I did not appreciate the misinformation.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He is incredibly caring, will try with you until you give up, will not pressure you, but will inform you of your options. The bad thing is that he has too many patients, and therefore no time to really tailor treatment to someone that is not responding well to drug stimulation, he just couldn't keep track of who you were or what your situation was.
Be your own advocate, he is a kind doctor, but way too busy and might not give you the attention and tailoring your case might need.
Doctor Kaplan when I was able to talk to him in person was very compassionate and never made me feel like he was going to stop working with me after we had several failed and/or cancelled cycles, which other doctors would do immediately, as you would mess up their "stats". Having said that, he has too many patients, and he is just not very in tune with your specific case, so if you have a tricky situation like mine, he is a great guy, but did not tweaked my treatment as he should in my opinion
Dr Kaplan's nurse communication was short, abrupt and gave very little in the form of information. It felt like pulling teeth. She was Incredibly unhelpful and truly jaded. She seemed like she was really tired of the same questions and had no patience with the patients. It is a pity, as we all are so lost and scared when we are walking the assisted fertility route.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The clinic was well run, the receptionist were fast and efficient, the ultrasound techs were very nice and fast. It just seems so busy and like your case is not getting much attention. Then, when doing the retrieval, the whole process was great, fast and efficient, same with IUI.
Under Illinois law, I was lucky to be mostly completely covered by insurance. The deductibles plus some test that were not covered were the only expense, but not significant if you compare it with out pocket expense other people experience.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I suffered from diminished eggs reserve, and was told by the nurse after the largest follicle count I had to date that I was going to be placed on birth control to make my ovaries "rest". I asked if I was then going to lose those follicles, she said no, when I most certainly would. I did not appreciate the misinformation.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He is a business owner and treats the patients as such. When we had failed attempts and a miscarriage there was no compassion or concern felt.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Don't expect great bed side manor and don't expect to be guided through the process. Get educated on what should happen and ask questions.
FCI is a fertility business. If you have ever spent time in the River North office, you can clearly see this as people are cycled into all areas (lab, ultrasound, consultations, psychology) There are just so many patients that there is no way you are remembered by any of the staff, most of which you will only see once or twice before another person is handling you.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
With so many moving parts, and so many Nurses to deal with between Kaplan's team, the clinic in Highland Park, as well as changes in his staff it is hard to know who to call when. We also had some issues with our egg thaws and lost entire batches. When we confronted him and the lab manager they took no responsibility until we forced the questions and brought up facts they did not know we knew.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Kaplan had a good bedside manner, etc, but ultimately did not seem to be involved enough in the detail of my care. It was very frustrating to me that he recommended trying the same type(s) of procedures over and over, despite repeatedly getting the same poor results...They were not very organized; did not follow-up with specific results in a timely manner...
[FCI is] Very busy - need to manage your own care FCI as a clinic seemed ok. It was definitely a "cattle call" but I got used to that quickly. The problems I had were when things went poorly or there were quick decisions that needed to be made. For example, I had embryos that were supposed to be frozen, but were not looking like they were developing well (repeated problem). Given this had happened before and we'd ended up with nothing, I pushed FCI to do a 3 day transfer. Just to get this done took many, many phone calls, and time was of the essence. They did not have a sense of urgency or real willingness to try something different...
Don't go here
Insurance covered most of it - I paid about $2,000 per round
2011, Unsuccessful
FCI felt so impersonal and as my results were not happening as quickly as I wanted, this made me more and more upset. Though I liked Dr. Kaplan, I found it so hard to actually speak with him that I ultimately ended up leaving the practice.
Go in with eyes wide open about the "baby factory" mentality. I knew FCI was a "baby factory" and I went in feeling like the results would be good so I could get over the impersonal feeling. That was not the case as it turned out.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
I sought put Dr. Kaplan because he was known as the baby maker. I knew FCI was a "baby factory" and I went in feeling like the results would be good so I could get over the impersonal feeling. That was not the case as it turned out. It felt so impersonal and as my results were not happening as quickly as I wanted, this made me more and more upset. Though I liked Dr. Kaplan, I found it so hard to actually speak with him that I ultimately ended up leaving the practice.
Go in with eyes wide open about the "baby factory" mentality
While with him he seemed to know me and care but the time with him was so short and hard to get that it felt impersonal
I never felt that they were empathetic
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
My body was not responding to the treatments. I was not able to do an egg retrieval while going through IVF. I didn't know why things weren't going as planned and I didn't feel like I was getting the information I wanted/needed to feel good about continuing on.
2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Brian Kaplan was] kind, but I did not get accurate information and lost my child due to preeclampsia which I was not made aware I was high-risk for. Seemed to ignore my high-blood pressure readings. In fact never once even mentioned it...So many patients, I rarely spoke to or saw the actual doctor...Very efficient. Friendly check out man, Frank. Waiting rooms are too small and chairs are hard to come by during busy times, thank husbands and partners for taking up space.
Very efficient. Friendly check out man, Frank. Waiting rooms are too small and chairs are hard to come by during busy times, thank husbands and partners for taking up space...[Dr. Brian Kaplan was] kind, but I did not get accurate information and lost my child due to preeclampsia which I was not made aware I was high-risk for. Seemed to ignore my high-blood pressure readings. In fact never once even mentioned it...So many patients, I rarely spoke to or saw the actual doctor.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Kind, but I did not get accurate information and lost my child due to preeclampsia which I was not made aware I was high-risk for. Seemed to ignore my high-blood pressure readings. In fact never once even mentioned it.
Ask many questions. Do not expect to see him except for the initial consultation and major procedures.
So many patients, I rarely spoke to or saw the actual doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Tammy)
So many nurses a different one called every time with info.
Standard
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
There are just too many patients.
Chicago/River North

I never got more than one consultation with Dr. Kaplan. ... In person he was friendly and charismatic. But I hardly ever dealt with him. I felt I was just being told what I wanted to hear. At first I liked him but the more I wanted to ask questions or get a hold of him it was always pushed off to his nurses. And then they never knew our history. He sounded so promising but I felt like he just said the same things to everyone.
Weaknesses: they [FCI] don’t care about you. They care about numbers. They don’t care about money or helping figure out finances. They just will help you till you run out. They are all over the place. Disorganized. Even if insurance paid for this. ... So they never let me know the grade of my embryos. ... Strengths:they will fit you in. There wouldn’t be a weight list to get you started in treatment.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
If you want to feel like just a number and feel like you’re just another women going through a “routine” procedure then this is for you. Nothing seemed to be personalized to your needs.
I never got more than one consultation with Dr. Kaplan. They never answered questions. Never followed up. And made every moment even more stressful. They even forgot a lot of times my history.
We wanted to try several IUI’s before we spend so much of our own money on IVF but he said it wouldn’t work for us. So we only did one. I reacted really well to the drugs for egg retrieval and they said it all looked normal. I don’t remember the specifics here. But I got a lot of eggs. But not very matured enough eggs.
They were awful. All over the place. I felt like every week I had a different nurse. We had to keep reminding them that my husband couldn’t do in person sperm retrieval. And they never answered questions. I could hardly get a hold of them. It was possibly the most frustrating thing I’ve ever dealt with.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Strengths:they will fit you in. There wouldn’t be a weight list to get you started in treatment. Weaknesses: they don’t care about you. They care about numbers. They don’t care about money or helping figure out finances. They just will help you till you run out. They are all over the place. Disorganized. Even if insurance paid for this. I would never go here.
Waiting. Waiting. Waiting.
It was a lot. We spent over 25k.
Okay. So they never let me know the grade of my embryos. I didn’t even know there was a grade till I met with my new doctor. So we did the first transfer and he recommended just one. Even though later I found out the grade wasn’t great. So the chances of positive pregnancy was a very low percentage. I knew none of this. I would do multiple every time if I couldn’t do PGS testing.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They moved us around from clinic locations and have us hardly any notice. When we were prepping for our ivf retrieval, two days before they told us they didn’t have enough sperm. We had 6 vials (later we learned enough) so they told us we would have to have my husband do another procedure, which costed $1000 for 3 more vials of sperm. They only used two vials total. Same quality. So we rushed to do this procedure and drive across town with sperm. Then the day we are there for the egg retrieval they ask my husband to produce sperm. And we told them that’s not possible. They finally figured it out but they literally made us jump through all these stressful hoops for no reason. Then later with a negative pregnancy test, they continually sent us a bill for sperm storage. $500. When we called to see what they were talking about because we weren’t storing sperm there. They never called back and when we finally got a hold of someone they said oh yes we called the lab there isn’t sperm there, we will clear this bill. This has happened 3 times since.