4.6

Highland Park
767 Park Avenue W
Highland Park, IL 60035
847-433-4400

I only saw Dr. Kaplan two other times after our initial consult with him - during my HSG/saline ultrasound and then at my transfer and both times were less than 5 minutes each.... I wish they slowed down enough to ensure I was comfortable and clearly knew what was happening. While I know it's a big, complicated and often overwhelming process, I felt like when I asked for a "big picture" idea of the steps in the process, I was constantly told "we'll let you know what comes next." It started to feel secretive and I got frustrated.
While the clinic [FCI- Chicago] can be efficient in seeing numerous patients in a fairly quick amount of time, it often felt as though I was part of a herd being herded from one waiting room to another. One of the most positive aspects for me was that the ultrasound techs and lab techs were extremely kind, personable and caring which helped to make me feel like a person again once I was having my bloodwork or ultrasound completed.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr Kaplan is a very kind man. He is friendly and seems knowledgeable. Unfortunately, he was running quite late for our initial consult which was frustrating for a work day. He did a good job of communicating what I had learned through my own research and seemed to help my husband understand things I wasn't able to.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Do your research ahead of time (especially if it takes you time to process or think through information) so you can have your questions ready to ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
We had one initial sit down with Dr. Kaplan, and then proceeded to be directed towards having bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc completed. Unfortunately, when everything got started, I didn't fully understand what was happening, and I quickly began to feel like I was being pushed through a general "infertility" process. This was frustrating as we don't have insurance coverage and before I knew it we had been through a bunch of monitoring that ultimately wasn't needed until a month or two later when we were going to actually start a cycle. It felt like a waste of time, energy and finances. I wish they slowed down enough to ensure I was comfortable and clearly knew what was happening. While I know it's a big, complicated and often overwhelming process, I felt like when I asked for a "big picture" idea of the steps in the process, I was constantly told "we'll let you know what comes next." It started to feel secretive and I got frustrated. I know this is the daily work for the nurses and staff, but there were a number of times that I felt like a cattle being herded when I went for my monitoring appointments. Only on occasion did I feel one or two nurses in particular actually took the time to treat me as an individual versus a checklist item on their to do list for the day. Additionally, I only saw Dr. Kaplan two other times after our initial consult with him - during my HSG/saline ultrasound and then at my transfer and both times were less than 5 minutes each. He was kind, but I didn't necessarily feel like an individualized patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jill, Betsy, Erica, Tammy)
Dr Kaplan had a team of 4 nurses that oversaw and did the coordinating for his patients. The nurses were in the office at different times and on different days so it was difficult to know who to contact with questions as the "in office" contact seemed to change. Personally, I did not care for Jill at all & I (honestly) dreaded the days I called and she was the primary in the office. I got to a point that I stopped trying to follow up if she was who I was directed to. I felt she was "fake" & I never quite got answers to the questions I was asking. However, I LOVED Betsy and Erica. Both were fantastic at taking the time to hear what I was asking and helping me understand or directing me to where I was able to get further assistance (for example, giving me a specific list of meds so I was able to determine costs from various pharmacies as we didn't have insurance to cover anything fertility related [my husband's company is "self-insured" so they are able to avoid the Illinois state-mandated fertility coverage]). I hardly communicated with Tammy. One other thing I will say is it was hard to get answers from Dr Kaplan's team quickly, I believe for the mere fact that they have such a high patient load.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI River North is hit or miss in terms of efficiency. On days they are in a groove, you can get in and out of your monitoring appointments in less than an hour. However, there were multiple days that they were behind and appointments took 90+ minutes. Since I was not working at the time, it often wasn't an issue for me, but I remember seeing a handful of frustrated patients who were coming in before or during work and the backlog was more than a nuisance. While the clinic can be efficient in seeing numerous patients in a fairly quick amount of time, it often felt as though I was part of a herd being herded from one waiting room to another. One of the most positive aspects for me was that the ultrasound techs and lab techs were extremely kind, personable and caring which helped to make me feel like a person again once I was having my bloodwork or ultrasound completed. They often answered any questions I had to the best of their knowledge and were fantastic at being as discreet as possible to help give you some level of privacy during a process that doesn't allow much. I would also recommend that you diligently watch your bills/charges. Make sure you aren't being charged more than you should be for procedures you did not have or for procedures you previously paid for.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
We bough a package "deal" for 2 rounds of IVF since our insurance didn't cover anything fertility related. We paid approximately $19,000 for this "deal," however, we quickly learned that this only covered the monitoring appointments from the baseline date of the cycle (nothing prior to), the actual retrieval and embryo transfer. We still had to pay for all medications (for our first cycle medication cost was approximately $6000 just for the stimulation portion for retrieval and then an additional $800 or so for the meds associated with the transfer), all cryopreservation fees ($500 for semen plus $1200 for the embryos), and all lab work and other tests deemed necessary (HSG, etc) prior to the cycle. We have currently spent close to $30,000 and still have another $10-15,000 to pay to complete our 2nd round (for which we are currently saving back up).
Chicago/River North

My few consults with Dr. Kaplan were always great. I felt informed and understood exactly what we were doing. He is pleasant, caring, and always made me feel comfortable. The only issue is feeling like he isn't always accessible for further questions. It would have been nice to email him directly rather than to go through different nurses.... I didn't see him much and felt like I was a little bit part of an assembly line each time I came in to the office.
The clinic [Fertility Centers of IL] had easy parking. It was clean. There was always a tv in every waiting room. The staff were always friendly. I had no bad experiences with the staff there. Felt a little bit like cattle at times, when the nurse would call a bunch of us to move from one waiting area to another waiting area. We would then fill every chair in the smaller waiting areas room.... They [nurses] were all actually very pleasant, and friendly. I didn't have a problem with any of them.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
My few consults with Dr. Kaplan were always great. I felt informed and understood exactly what we were doing. He is pleasant, caring, and always made me feel comfortable. The only issue is feeling like he isn't always accessible for further questions. It would have been nice to email him directly rather than to go through different nurses. Even to have had ONE assigned nurse would've been better.
Getting an appointment with him is tough, so plan far in advance. Do your own research and have all questions prepared before your visit with him in order to take full advantage of the consultation.
He's a VERY popular doctor and sees A LOT of patients. My actual interaction with him personally was always great, however I didn't see him much and felt like I was a little bit part of an assembly line each time I came in to the office.
Describe the protocols Brian Kaplan used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
A thorough preparation of my uterus and lining using hormones, before my egg retrieval and before the transfer. He had me do pre-genetic screening on my eggs in order to get eggs that had the best chance of implantation. Also, he had us do intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) to increase the chances as well. Lastly, he recommended transferring 2 embryos at a time instead of one.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They were all actually very pleasant, and friendly. I didn't have a problem with any of them. I think it would've made things a little easier however if I didn't have so many. I didn't feel like I got to know any one of them.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The clinic had easy parking. It was clean. There was always a tv in every waiting room. The staff were always friendly. I had no bad experiences with the staff there. Felt a little bit like cattle at times, when the nurse would call a bunch of us to move from one waiting area to another waiting area. We would then fill every chair in the smaller waiting areas room.
Describe Brian Kaplan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It made sense to do the multiple embryo transfer for us.

2013 - 2016, Unknown Success
...Without that, I was left wondering why certain decisions were being made and it was not a good feeling. I do think the biggest issue is the number of patients he has which likely does not allow as much time for each patient, or to allow much direct communicate. At a smaller clinic [than FCI] I think the experience with Dr Kaplan would have been much better in that regard...FCI can run like a well-oiled machine most of the time. Their early morning monitoring is perfect for squeezing them in before work, for the most part. However, because they batch their patients, there comes a point where they have so many patients coming in at the same time that the wait can be long and excruciating. The office staff is always pleasant and the atmosphere is comforting. It is overall a good clinic but you will feel like a number.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr Kaplan did show compassion during appointments which was important to us. He was always very understanding of the emotional impact of IVF as well as the financial. I did very much respect his knowledge and opinions. However, I sometimes felt like our course of treatment was not specifically tailored to us. The biggest issue was the inability to communicate with him directly. Perhaps I could have been more of an advocate for myself in this area, but I did wish I could have gotten more background information as the procedures went on. Without that, I was left wondering why certain decisions were being made and it was not a good feeling. I do think the biggest issue is the number of patients he has which likely does not allow as much time for each patient, or to allow much direct communicate. At a smaller clinic I think the experience with Dr Kaplan would have been much better in that regard.
Be prepared with every question you have when going to your consultations with him. It may be the only opportunity you have to ask him. Everything else will have to filter through his nurses.
After every failed transfer, there was no discussion as to what could have happened. It was more just always heading toward the next transfer without having time to regroup. When I had questions, I had to go through the nurses which sometimes left me feeling unsure if the information back was coming from the doctor or if it was just a standard response.
My first IVF was the standard birth control followed by low doses of Follistim. It resulted in 3 eggs, 2 embryos. I was oversupressd by the Bcp. Second IVF was estrogen priming with high dosage of Follistim and menopur. Much better response at 11 eggs and 6 embryos. This resulted in a healthy live birth. 3rd IVF (3 years later) was the same as the previous but resulted in 6 eggs, 2 blastocysts. The hope was that by replicating the successful cycle we would again be successful. Negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jill)
Jill was always very nice and expressed compassion during any negative pregnancy tests. My only issue was getting replies by email that were too short or not answering every questions. I always got the impression that emails were getting rushed through wish made me nervous about the care I was receiving and the potential for mistakes. Otherwise I found all the nurses to be kind and always answered my emails.
IVF - $11,000 Frozen transfers - $3500
We only did multiple embryo transfers but only 2 at a time. I asked his opinion to transfer 3 once but he suggested only transferring 2, and we went along with that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The only time I had an issue was that they forgot to call me with what to do next during an IVF cycle. I called them before end of day and was told they needed more time. I called them again several hours later to remind them. When the nurse called me back they did apologize and I was instructed to trigger that night so that could have turned into a much bigger issue. In the end, everything worked out.

2015, Unknown Success
He's very honest and upfront, but not in a curt way. He does care about his patients, but having said that, he doesn't really get to know you...You have very limited contact with Dr. Kaplan, so you feel sometimes as though he's the wizard behind the curtain...He does have an easy way about him - a good sense of humor, and he's competitive, which I like...I totally understand that he can't personally call everyone, but it would have been nice to receive a follow-up call a day or two later when he has some time. Just a feeling that we're all still in this together would have been nice.
They have so many patients, and things slip through the cracks. There has been more than one occasion where I've realized not all my meds were ordered or that I was told conflicting information about diet or exercise...The nurses in Highland Park are incredibly awesome. Knowledgeable, caring, all of it. They treat you like a human. The nurses in River North are prompt to respond to questions but aren't exactly "warm and fuzzy."
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
I started with a different doctor at FCI that was not a good fit at all. Having had that experience made Dr. Kaplan seem like a God-send. He's very honest and upfront, but not in a curt way. He does care about his patients, but having said that, he doesn't really get to know you. I'd be surprised if he knew where I lived or what I did for a living. He does have an easy way about him - a good sense of humor, and he's competitive, which I like. I think you want your doctor to be competitive - to have a stake in the outcome. We've had some trials over the last year, and the nurses were always the ones to make the call. I totally understand that he can't personally call everyone, but it would have been nice to receive a follow-up call a day or two later when he has some time. Just a feeling that we're all still in this together would have been nice.
Be your own best advocate and learn the process. This is not just advice for Dr. Kaplan. This is advice for anyone going to FCI. They have so many patients, and things slip through the cracks. There has been more than one occasion where I've realized not all my meds were ordered or that I was told conflicting information about diet or exercise. You need to do some research and talk with others who have been through it and critically evaluate what they are telling you to do and then ask questions and double check things. It sounds intimidating, but it doesn't need to be. I think you want to be your own best advocate in this process anyway. And, ultimately, they are choosing the protocols and have had good success, so that's a plus for going to FCI in spite of some of the drawbacks.
Plain and simple, FCI is a factory. You know that going in, and it makes things much easier. They, however, also get results, so you "put up" with a little because of that. The nurses in Highland Park are incredibly awesome. Knowledgeable, caring, all of it. They treat you like a human. The nurses in River North are prompt to respond to questions but aren't exactly "warm and fuzzy." You have very limited contact with Dr. Kaplan, so you feel sometimes as though he's the wizard behind the curtain. It would be nice to have a bit more contact with him.
My first two cycles resulted in 4 and 3 eggs respectively, which they were honestly pleased with given my age and diagnosis (low ovarian reserve). The 3rd cycle he did what is called a Schoyer method - it was a week of priming before stimulating. He then stimulated me with Clomid, Follistim and Menopur. The Clomid was just 5 days. He either had me on Lupron or Ganirelix as well. I was a slow responder, so they kept me on the stim meds for about 20 days. It was nerve-wracking to keep having the retrieval postponed, but in the end, they retrieved 10 eggs from me - a huge success. 2 made it to 5 day blasts.
The 2nd retrieval was tough physically and emotionally for a few different reasons. I received a call 2 days later just to check in. We immediately froze eggs, so there was no update they needed to give on the conditions of the embryos. It was just a call to let me know they were thinking of me.
Insurance covers most of it but sperm, embryo and egg freezing. We also had a $50 copay every time we stepped foot in the center. Ultimately though, we're very lucky.
2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
I can't say this for all of them, but the few [nurses] that I communicated with most often were very friendly and approachable. They responded quickly to emails and relayed messages to Dr Kaplan when needed... he may not be right for you (or the FCI clinic in general) if you prefer a very hands-on one-on-one type of doctor.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Early on, I felt that he was so confident I was going to have quick success that he didn't spend a lot of time with me and try to get to know my case. He frequently seemed in a rush and too busy to stop and explain things thoroughly. However, after a couple failed attempts he seemed more determined to help and investigate new approaches to understand my 'unexplained infertility'. He mentioned a few times that he had discussed my case to a few of his colleagues. Overall, I really like his demeanor and feel at ease with him and able to talk not only about the course of treatment but also about the emotional toll of infertility (note - a few times he seemed really busy and our meeting felt a little rushed). I still believe he is focused on finding the best approach to get us a family with the least amount of stress and cost.
I would say don't be discouraged if you don't hear directly from him frequently and you have to communicate through his nurses. If you find a helpful nurse, he will get your messages and I believe he does sit and think about his patients carefully. On a similar note, he may not be right for you (or the FCI clinic in general) if you prefer a very hands-on one-on-one type of doctor.
I Dr Kaplan definitely remembered me and treated me like an individual and not a number. A few of the nurses did too, but I did occasionally get mixed up with other patients. The clinic is very large and I think they do a good job considering how many patients go through there.
I can't say this for all of them, but the few that I communicated with most often were very friendly and approachable. They responded quickly to emails and relayed messages to Dr Kaplan when needed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It was very difficult getting my medical records sent to another clinic (even one that Dr Kaplan recommended I go to!). The person I communicated with was very slow at getting back to me and the whole process took about 3 weeks (the clinic is in the same city).

2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
He was very positive but also has a reputation for being aggressive...I know of other friends who he told to go to another clinic because he straight up told them he couldn't help them anymore.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He was very positive but also has a reputation for being aggressive. I know tons of people who are pregnant from him. The dissenters say he is a "pusher" of repeated IVF cycles where there is no hope, but I have not experienced that. I know of other friends who he told to go to another clinic because he straight up told them he couldn't help them anymore.
FCI is generally a well-oiled machine. You do not see Dr Kaplan except during the initial consult, egg retrieval, transfer, and each pregnancy ultrasound. You need to be an informed, proactive patient and advocate for yourself.
They kept good records of what had happened in the past. They also had special procedures in place for patients who had experienced a loss. I'm not sure they remembered me specifically, but they always reference my past history.
In my first IVF cycle with him he used the antagonist protocol and it produced good results (pending.)
Very happy to take time to explain things to you or address a problem if you needed it. Always had an understanding of what was going on with your specific case.
$12,000 for an IVF cycle - ours was covered by insurance.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I think maybe one time some miscommunication occurred? Otherwise, they are on it.

2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Very personable and informative. With my first miscarriage from IUI, his [Dr. Kaplan] manner was not as warm. With my second miscarriage from IVF, his manner was warmer with more empathy for us. Even though I did not get the outcome I hoped for, his experience and credentials make him a top doctor in the area...Drugs were Follistim, Menopur, Lupron, progesterone shots and suppositories, estrogen patches, baby aspirin. Resulted in 14 eggs and 5 embryos for freeze.
Lots of patients [at FCI - Chicago]. Sometimes they run behind on appointments. Just started a support group which I think is a good thing for patients...We paid out of pocket for everything. Medicine had some coverage under insurance..Stop saying when there is a miscarriage that the baby may have been genetically abnormal and it was nature doing its job. As women going through that in the moment, we hate hearing that because it was a baby that was wanted.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Very personable and informative. With my first miscarriage from IUI, his manner was not as warm. With my second miscarriage from IVF, his manner was warmer with more empathy for us. Even though I did not get the outcome I hoped for, his experience and credentials make him a top doctor in the area.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Lots of patients. Sometimes they run behind on appointments. Just started a support group which I think is a good thing for patients.
Recommended transfer of two embryos because of my age.

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Brian Kaplan] was very warm and friendly when we spoke.He wasn't always available to address concerns when I called in.Also,we never spoke while I was going through my miscarriage on 2015....He was very open and frank about the possible outcomes of my cycles.He was also very encouraging in spite of low probability of me carrying full term.
A few times my medications had to re-sent to the local pharmacy and/or to CVS mail pharmacy. Also,we were applying for a grant [at FCI] and it took awhile to get the diagnosis notes faxed in...A lot of patients in the a.m. Even more in the afternoon before 12.Very quick,however,in and out....i have spent about $20,000 there.Of which I have been responsible for about 20%
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He was very warm and friendly when we spoke.He wasn't always available to address concerns when I called in.Also,we never spoke while I was going through my miscarriage on 2015.
none.
i'm sorry i can't remember them all,there were many.
Talked very quickly, calls were returned often a day or two later
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
They are friendly for the most part.Not very talkative and very busy most of the time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
i have spent about $20,000 there.Of which I have been responsible for about 20%
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
A few times my medications had to re-sent to the local phamacy and/or to CVS mail pharmacy.Also,we were applying for a grant and it took awhile to get the diagnosis notes faxed in.

2015, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Kaplan is a...] Very nice guy, good outlook, our case was tough and we didn't see results. We had a few sit downs and we tried to get progress but never found what the root of the issue was and switches doctors (where we did find success)...You need to own your experience, stay on top of the nurses and also business office. They do not do it for you and my wife spent a LOT of time working out appointments, insurance payments and EOB forms, and also setting up a "next step" after a failed cycle...
FCI is known as a "factory" and certainly the waiting room reminds you of this as you are "cattled" through to get tested. But, it usually works and I didn't mind...Everything was a pull. A great example is the "medical protocol" for prepping for IUI was really hard to follow and they had no easy way to keep track of all the meds/shots/pills so we had to build a complex tracker just to make sure we did them correctly and had all the right meds ordered. It was really a pain...
Long Lupron