4.6

767 Park Avenue W
Highland Park, IL 60035
847-433-4400

2013 - 2016, Successful
He [Dr. Kaplan] is energized and comes into every meeting with a game plan. He is totally open to patient questions and ideas, and can thoughtfully explain why something is a good option or not. He is considerate of the fact that the infertility treatment is not the only thing going on in one's life, and willing to work around timing conflicts. He always keeps in mind and informs the patient about financial implications of decisions so that you can weigh that piece as well. There was never a one-size-fits-all approach: when things didn't work, he changed them.
It [FCI] is well organized and the waits are not usually very long. The space is very well-appointed and doesn't feel sterile/hospital like. It's very comfortable to wait there and the entire staff is friendly. It's not a scary place to go...Everyone knew us by name, including the wonderful Erika who brought us back, the phlebotomist Jamie who we had every time, and even the people at the front desk/check out. Our nurses celebrated our successes and truly sympathized with our setbacks.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Kaplan has a reputation for being the best for a reason. He is energized and comes into every meeting with a game plan. He is totally open to patient questions and ideas, and can thoughtfully explain why something is a good option or not. He is considerate of the fact that the infertility treatment is not the only thing going on in one's life, and willing to work around timing conflicts. He always keeps in mind and informs the patient about financial implications of decisions so that you can weigh that piece as well. There was never a one-size-fits-all approach: when things didn't work, he changed them. When we experienced failure after failure, he never let us give up hope. I truly believe that we would not have our amazing daughter without him, simply because I could not have kept going with the treatment without his support and encouragement.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
This would be my advice no matter who the doctor was - do your own research. Go into meetings with the doctors with ideas, so that you never feel like a stone was left unturned.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Everyone knew us by name, including the wonderful Erika who brought us back, the phlebotomist Jamie who we had every time, and even the people at the front desk/check out. Our nurses celebrated our successes and truly sympathized with our setbacks. Dr. Kaplan clearly sets the tone in this way - after 3 failed cycles and a miscarriage, he was so happy for us when we finally got to bring home our baby. Despite their volume, I felt like I was truly important and they were all rooting for us.
Describe the protocols Brian Kaplan used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of Illinois and their degree of success.
I never had trouble with stimming, so I don't recall much about those protocols. I was a good responder and had lots of eggs, my issue seemed to be with implantation. The cycle that finally worked included 2 months of Depot Lupron, and a hysteroscopy. Then when I went back to try for baby #2, Dr. Kaplan strongly advised that we skip all of that and just do a really straightforward FET (Lupron, patches, PIO every 3rd day and progesterone suppositories, along with a few other things like Medrol/baby aspirin). I wanted to recreate the cycle that worked with my daughter so we didn't waste time/embryos. He argued that after carrying a full term pregnancy and nursing for 10 months, my body was a completely different environment. He was right, I got pregnant on the first try without all the additional/invasive/expensive extras.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Tammy)
I am forever grateful to our nurse Tammy. I had a million questions and overthought everything throughout our very long fertility journey. Tammy was available by email and was always quick to respond. We dealt with a variety of other nurses, notably Jamie and Jill, and every one of them was well versed on our case, compassionate and patient with my many questions and squeamish nature.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
There are a lot of people moving through the clinic, but it is well organized and the waits are not usually very long. The space is very well-appointed and doesn't feel sterile/hospital like. It's very comfortable to wait there and the entire staff is friendly. It's not a scary place to go.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
We were covered at about 90%. There was a copay to see Dr. Kaplan (I think $60). But we didn't see him that often. I would say a significant part of our out of pocket expenses were parking ($6 every monitoring appointment adds up!). We also paid out of pocket for PGS testing.
Describe Brian Kaplan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I was only 27 when I first went to Dr. Kaplan, so he always encouraged us to do one embryo at a time. We did 2 out of 6 transfers with 2 embryos instead of one, so it wasn't like he wouldn't let us. I don't think he has a set policy that applies to everyone. It felt like he considered a lot of factors in our case - my age, our good insurance coverage, and the fact that our embryos were high quality (and pgs tested after the first round).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
There were a couple of times where the insurance verification wasn't correct. For example, the pharmacy where I got my drugs (Prime) would say that something wasn't covered, and I would call the insurance and they would say that it was, and then it had to go back through the doctors office. I was once told by FCI that we had hit our maximum for something, but then I called the insurance and we hadn't. It's hard to say whether the error was FCIs or Blue Cross, but I found it was always worth double checking anything that I was billed for.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Brian Kaplan] is incredibly caring, will try with you until you give up, will not pressure you, but will inform you of your options. The bad thing is that he has too many patients, and therefore no time to really tailor treatment to someone that is not responding well to drug stimulation, he just couldn't keep track of who you were or what your situation was.
I suffered from diminished eggs reserve, and was told by the nurse [at Fertility Centers of Illinois] after the largest follicle count I had to date that I was going to be placed on birth control to make my ovaries "rest". I asked if I was then going to lose those follicles, she said no, when I most certainly would. I did not appreciate the misinformation.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He is incredibly caring, will try with you until you give up, will not pressure you, but will inform you of your options. The bad thing is that he has too many patients, and therefore no time to really tailor treatment to someone that is not responding well to drug stimulation, he just couldn't keep track of who you were or what your situation was.
Be your own advocate, he is a kind doctor, but way too busy and might not give you the attention and tailoring your case might need.
Doctor Kaplan when I was able to talk to him in person was very compassionate and never made me feel like he was going to stop working with me after we had several failed and/or cancelled cycles, which other doctors would do immediately, as you would mess up their "stats". Having said that, he has too many patients, and he is just not very in tune with your specific case, so if you have a tricky situation like mine, he is a great guy, but did not tweaked my treatment as he should in my opinion
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Dr Kaplan's nurse communication was short, abrupt and gave very little in the form of information. It felt like pulling teeth. She was Incredibly unhelpful and truly jaded. She seemed like she was really tired of the same questions and had no patience with the patients. It is a pity, as we all are so lost and scared when we are walking the assisted fertility route.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The clinic was well run, the receptionist were fast and efficient, the ultrasound techs were very nice and fast. It just seems so busy and like your case is not getting much attention. Then, when doing the retrieval, the whole process was great, fast and efficient, same with IUI.
Under Illinois law, I was lucky to be mostly completely covered by insurance. The deductibles plus some test that were not covered were the only expense, but not significant if you compare it with out pocket expense other people experience.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I suffered from diminished eggs reserve, and was told by the nurse after the largest follicle count I had to date that I was going to be placed on birth control to make my ovaries "rest". I asked if I was then going to lose those follicles, she said no, when I most certainly would. I did not appreciate the misinformation.

2015, Successful
FCI is slow to release records. That's my biggest complaint. It's also a huge clinic and it can be irritating to feel like you're just a number to them. I didn't know where else to put this, but I had a WONDERFUL experience with a specific ultrasound tech at the River North location. Rosa is the best, and I would wait upwards of an hour to make sure she did my scans. She is careful with her work, she is so compassionate, and she's very down-to-earth. If she has to give you bad news, she does it carefully and with your feelings in mind. I think Rosa is the best thing about FCI, second only to Dr. Kaplan!
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Kaplan was my third infertility doctor, so I was sadly an infertility "pro" by the time I got to him. He was perfect for me at that stage of treatment because he was very open to my feedback and how I wanted to direct my care. He let me try new things that were somewhat controversial, but he did hold me back from things that he thought had no chance. However, Dr. Kaplan's biggest negatives are as follows. He is extremely busy, and he doesn't always seem to read through your file carefully before he meets with you. So you have to be very on top of things, and sometimes remind him of where things stand. He also can seem a little bit rushed during conversations because he has so many patients to see. Another negative is that Dr. Kaplan likes to "batch" his cycles so that most retrievals and transfers occur around the same time of the month. This didn't personally bother me but I know this really irks some of his other patients that I've talked to.
Be proactive. Know your own case. Be your own advocate. Don't be afraid to speak up and ask to try new treatments that he might not mention to you. Dr. Kaplan is kind and flexible and caring, but he's busy. So you have to work together as a team to get to the best outcome.
Dr. Kaplan is extremely caring. He is very touchy - frequently gives hugs and kisses after a transfer - this could be a negative if you don't like that, but to me it was reassuring and he felt like a caring father or uncle. He looks you in the eye and is very open to new treatment options if you're at the end of the road.
9 days before transfer. Immediately prior to transfer doxycycline and medrol. Progesterone supplementation included PIO injections, endometrin. Lining was 5.3 with triple pattern, estradoil 749 on last lining check. Result was a positive pregnancy test. Repeated the IV of intralipids 16 days after transfer (6 days after first positive pregnancy test). Pregnancy is currently at 12 weeks. September 2015 (cycle on gestational carrier): Priming included lupron, vivelle dot patches, baby aspirin daily. Immediately prior to transfer doxycycline and medrol. Progesterone supplementation included PIO injections, endometrin. Lining was 8.8 with triple pattern, estradoil 1,101 on last lining check. Result was a positive pregnancy test. Pregnancy is currently at 7 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Jamie was a very good nurse, and I recommend her. She was organized and rolled with the punches with me. I was not always an easy patient because I had very strong opinions about my treatment plan. She always listened, and would go back and ask Dr. Kaplan before telling me no on whatever I was asking. I really appreciated that. I also worked with Donna as my IVF nurse in Highland Park. I have equally good things to say about her. Very high quality nurse, very on top of things. Only complaint is that she didn't always call back with instructions until I reached out to her late in the day. On the gestational carrier side of things, we worked with Jen at River North, and with Carrie in Highland Park. Both of these nurses were wonderful, two of the most optimistic and happy nurses I've worked with throughout the entire journey.

2015, Unknown Success
He's very honest and upfront, but not in a curt way. He does care about his patients, but having said that, he doesn't really get to know you...You have very limited contact with Dr. Kaplan, so you feel sometimes as though he's the wizard behind the curtain...He does have an easy way about him - a good sense of humor, and he's competitive, which I like...I totally understand that he can't personally call everyone, but it would have been nice to receive a follow-up call a day or two later when he has some time. Just a feeling that we're all still in this together would have been nice.
They have so many patients, and things slip through the cracks. There has been more than one occasion where I've realized not all my meds were ordered or that I was told conflicting information about diet or exercise...The nurses in Highland Park are incredibly awesome. Knowledgeable, caring, all of it. They treat you like a human. The nurses in River North are prompt to respond to questions but aren't exactly "warm and fuzzy."
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
I started with a different doctor at FCI that was not a good fit at all. Having had that experience made Dr. Kaplan seem like a God-send. He's very honest and upfront, but not in a curt way. He does care about his patients, but having said that, he doesn't really get to know you. I'd be surprised if he knew where I lived or what I did for a living. He does have an easy way about him - a good sense of humor, and he's competitive, which I like. I think you want your doctor to be competitive - to have a stake in the outcome. We've had some trials over the last year, and the nurses were always the ones to make the call. I totally understand that he can't personally call everyone, but it would have been nice to receive a follow-up call a day or two later when he has some time. Just a feeling that we're all still in this together would have been nice.
Be your own best advocate and learn the process. This is not just advice for Dr. Kaplan. This is advice for anyone going to FCI. They have so many patients, and things slip through the cracks. There has been more than one occasion where I've realized not all my meds were ordered or that I was told conflicting information about diet or exercise. You need to do some research and talk with others who have been through it and critically evaluate what they are telling you to do and then ask questions and double check things. It sounds intimidating, but it doesn't need to be. I think you want to be your own best advocate in this process anyway. And, ultimately, they are choosing the protocols and have had good success, so that's a plus for going to FCI in spite of some of the drawbacks.
Plain and simple, FCI is a factory. You know that going in, and it makes things much easier. They, however, also get results, so you "put up" with a little because of that. The nurses in Highland Park are incredibly awesome. Knowledgeable, caring, all of it. They treat you like a human. The nurses in River North are prompt to respond to questions but aren't exactly "warm and fuzzy." You have very limited contact with Dr. Kaplan, so you feel sometimes as though he's the wizard behind the curtain. It would be nice to have a bit more contact with him.
My first two cycles resulted in 4 and 3 eggs respectively, which they were honestly pleased with given my age and diagnosis (low ovarian reserve). The 3rd cycle he did what is called a Schoyer method - it was a week of priming before stimulating. He then stimulated me with Clomid, Follistim and Menopur. The Clomid was just 5 days. He either had me on Lupron or Ganirelix as well. I was a slow responder, so they kept me on the stim meds for about 20 days. It was nerve-wracking to keep having the retrieval postponed, but in the end, they retrieved 10 eggs from me - a huge success. 2 made it to 5 day blasts.
The 2nd retrieval was tough physically and emotionally for a few different reasons. I received a call 2 days later just to check in. We immediately froze eggs, so there was no update they needed to give on the conditions of the embryos. It was just a call to let me know they were thinking of me.
Insurance covers most of it but sperm, embryo and egg freezing. We also had a $50 copay every time we stepped foot in the center. Ultimately though, we're very lucky.
2014 - 2015, Successful
While Dr. Kaplan may not be the most warm and fuzzy doctor, he is compassionate and brilliant and talented at his craft. I feel lucky to have been able to be under his treatment. He is straightforward and I would say not to anticipate seeing him outside of the initial consult and the procedures. However, I trust his judgment implicitly and while I typically like a doctor who is more warm and fuzzy and accessible, I also knew he was the best around so I went with him and we had success!
[FCI] Strengths: Great doctors, Dr. Kaplan's lab and embryologists. Weaknesses: Poor communication, long wait times for blood work and ultrasounds, not personal.. I made a connection with nurse Tammy. She was essentially my guide through the entire process. However, I don't think it is a typical situation. We connected on a personal level and she went above and beyond for me and my husband. However, I don't believe I could give fci a high rating for communication and organization outside of Tami. If she hadn't been there for me, I do believe my entire experience there would not have been as it was...
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Be prepared to not interact with him beyond initial consult and follow ups and procedures. Make a good connection with a nurse and be proactive about your care due to the large number of patients at fci and under his care.
I owe being treated like a human at fci to Dr. kaplans nurse Tami Bono. She was there for my every need and without her I am not sure I could give the same response.
For my first ivf cycle, I was put on birth control followed by injectible doses of menapur, follistim and ganerelix for about 12 days. My husband had been on clomid for male factor infertility. I had a 5 day transfer of two lower graded embryos followed by crinone and estrogen patches. The cycle did not result in pregnancy. The second ivf round took place 2 months later with the exact same protocol. Unfortunately, my estrogen levels were very high after retrieval and therefore a frozen transfer would be planned for a later date. Dr. Kaplan was not confident that a pregnancy would take with the high estrogen. I then started two months later with birth control, followed by Lupron and then pio injections with the transfer of two embryos. I became pregnant with one embryo and had 10 more weeks of pio and estrogen patches. We had a boy in November 2015.
So, I made a connection with nurse Tammy. She was essentially my guide through the entire process. However, I don't think it is a typical situation. We connected on a personal level and she went above and beyond for me and my husband. However, I don't believe I could give fci a high rating for communication and organization outside of Tami. If she hadn't been there for me, I do believe my entire experience there would not have been as it was.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Lack of communication caused some stressful circumstances. All was resolved but due mostly to doing my homework and seeking out the answers to questions I had to discover I needed to ask.
2015, Successful
Dr. Kaplan told my husband and I straight out what we should expect with our cycle. I was told with the previous MD that I would need donor eggs and Dr. Kaplan did not agree with that and gave my husband a lot of confidence when we went into our next cycle of IVF...Dr. Kaplan is very knowledgeable in his field. He has practiced dealing with infertility for many years and gives it to you straight. He doesn't beat around the bush and lets you know everything. Very awesome MD. If we had the extra income I would be doing another round of IVF with him!
I don't have any concerns with how the clinic [FCI] was ran...I worked with Kathleen Brady whom was a Godsend. She always responded to me emails promptly or phone calls. She was very compassionate as this process is very emotional and stressful. Tammi Bono was also very helpful with obtaining extra medications for me and she was very nice...Dr. Kaplan was amazing. He was confident in me using our own eggs and ICSI with my husband. We were very defeated after our first IVF cycle failed with another MD and after leaving Dr. Kaplan's office we were ready to try again and very glad we did. Without him I would not have my 13 month old Norah!
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Kaplan told my husband and I straight out what we should expect with our cycle. I was told with the previous MD Dr. Todd Deustch that I would need donor eggs and Dr. Kaplan did not agree with that and gave my husband a lot of confidence when we went into our next cycle of IVF.
I had about 10-11 days of medication stimulation. I used Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelex, and 5 days of growth hormone. I can't recall the exact protocol, but I had 20 follicles, 9 were retrieved and 6 were mature. Five embryos fertilized and we went to day 5. We have a 4BB blast transferred and an early blast. We have one morula that they were going to try and keep and see if it grows by day 6 and it arrested.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Kathleen Brady)
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I don't have any concerns with how the clinic was ran
Unfortunately our insurance only covered the workup and monitoring during the IVF process. We have to pay out of pocket for the medications, retrieval and transfer. It was about $15,000 for everything.
2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
I can't say this for all of them, but the few [nurses] that I communicated with most often were very friendly and approachable. They responded quickly to emails and relayed messages to Dr Kaplan when needed... he may not be right for you (or the FCI clinic in general) if you prefer a very hands-on one-on-one type of doctor.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Early on, I felt that he was so confident I was going to have quick success that he didn't spend a lot of time with me and try to get to know my case. He frequently seemed in a rush and too busy to stop and explain things thoroughly. However, after a couple failed attempts he seemed more determined to help and investigate new approaches to understand my 'unexplained infertility'. He mentioned a few times that he had discussed my case to a few of his colleagues. Overall, I really like his demeanor and feel at ease with him and able to talk not only about the course of treatment but also about the emotional toll of infertility (note - a few times he seemed really busy and our meeting felt a little rushed). I still believe he is focused on finding the best approach to get us a family with the least amount of stress and cost.
I would say don't be discouraged if you don't hear directly from him frequently and you have to communicate through his nurses. If you find a helpful nurse, he will get your messages and I believe he does sit and think about his patients carefully. On a similar note, he may not be right for you (or the FCI clinic in general) if you prefer a very hands-on one-on-one type of doctor.
I Dr Kaplan definitely remembered me and treated me like an individual and not a number. A few of the nurses did too, but I did occasionally get mixed up with other patients. The clinic is very large and I think they do a good job considering how many patients go through there.
I can't say this for all of them, but the few that I communicated with most often were very friendly and approachable. They responded quickly to emails and relayed messages to Dr Kaplan when needed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
It was very difficult getting my medical records sent to another clinic (even one that Dr Kaplan recommended I go to!). The person I communicated with was very slow at getting back to me and the whole process took about 3 weeks (the clinic is in the same city).

2013 - 2014, Successful
I just cannot say enough good things about Dr Kaplan. Not only is he amazing at what he does, but he is patient and kind and there is no ego despite him being one of the best. He has no problem adjusting treatment or taking the time to explain everything to his patients. I've already referred multiple people to him who love him just as much as I do!...During my first cycle, I used only one injection per day and no steroids. When I didn't produce many eggs, he adjusted to morning and evening shots and oral steroids with more progesterone and blood thinners. It produced more ( and higher quality eggs) and the blood thinners allowed multiple eggs to attach.
Everything at FCI was easy. The phlebotomist were amazing and done quickly - the best blood draws I've ever had. The ultrasound techs were quick, efficient, and understanding, while still being excellent at their jobs. Scheduling was a breeze, as was checkout. Even the billing department was easy to work with. Plus, every single person hugged and congratulated me when I finally had a viable pregnancy.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
The infertility process is long and hard, but it helps to have a doctor who cares so much. Make sure you are open and honest and ask questions or tell him what you are feeling, he has no problem sitting there as long as you need.
Dr Kaplan is one of the best doctors that I have ever seen. He held my hand (literally) through the treatments, explained everything thoroughly, was available himself throughout the entire process and let me cry, laugh or whatever I needed in his office.
The nurses were always available for calls and emails, patiently explained the medications to me, sometimes multiple times, empathized with me when something went wrong and called multiple times to check how I was feeling. They also had no problems asking Dr Kaplan, if they felt that he may know something more.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI was so great about working with my insurance company that most of my costs were only from medicines that the insurance wouldn't cover. Everything else was covered. Estimate $2500 per cycle out of pocket.

2012 - 2014, Successful
I think the clinic is so busy, and I saw Dr. Kaplan at two different clinics, so I wasn't always sure that he recognized me. But, of course, when it counted--in meetings, procedures, appointments, etc., he did know who I was...I fully trusted Dr. Kaplan's opinion and course of action. I turned out to be a hard case, so I appreciated that he was always up front and honest with me. I also appreciated that he made an effort to meet with me when I needed him to--early mornings, squeezing me in his busy schedule, etc.
[FCI's] Weakness: Too busy. Sometimes the right hand didn't know what the left was doing. Front desk staff was sometimes rude. Strengths: Reputable doctors and nurses, easy to schedule appointments, accommodating, multiple locations...[Nurse] Tammy was my favorite thing about FCI, hands down. She was always there for me. I had so many roadblocks and issues, and she was so compassionate. She even just emailed me sometimes just to check in to see how I was feeling--not for anything other than that. She always got back to me quickly, helped me find donated meds if necessary, and I just always felt that she was a great support along this journey. When I got transferred to a differe
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't expect things to go the way you think they will--there will be bumps in the road! Trust your doctors.
It's been awhile, so I don't recall many specifics. We did three rounds of IVF with ICSI and 3 rounds of frozen donor egg transfers. We skipped IUI because of male factor issues and my poor egg quality. In the last round or two of donor eggs, I took a blood thinner injectible due to an antibody issue. I stayed on progesterone inserts far beyond what most women do (I think). I had miscarriage with one IVF round and with one donor egg round. The last donor egg round produced my son. We never had embryos or eggs leftover to freeze.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Tammy Bono)
Tammy was my favorite thing about FCI, hands down. She was always there for me. I had so many roadblocks and issues, and she was so compassionate. She even just emailed me sometimes just to check in to see how I was feeling--not for anything other than that. She always got back to me quickly, helped me find donated meds if necessary, and I just always felt that she was a great support along this journey. When I got transferred to a different nurse b/c I switched to a donor egg protocol, I really missed Tammy, and I still even contacted her for help during these times b/c I knew I could count on her.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I paid for everything out of pocket. In total, we paid more than $100,000. That includes, meds, procedures (in clinic and hospital), tests, donor egg acquisition, etc. My insurance didn't cover much of anything.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Not really a big deal, but several times I was given a block of time in which the clinic was supposed to call with results, but they never called. I had to call and track them down.
2012 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Even though I did not get pregnant under his care, I have the utmost respect and care for Dr. Brian Kaplan and his team. They felt like my second family for several years... He never pressured me to go beyond my comfort zone and even encouraged me to seek a different provider when he sensed I needed a change and fresh start after many failed attempts.
FCI is a very large clinic that sees many patients every month. In order to stand out from that crowd, make sure you speak up when you have questions or concerns... The old saying you catch more flies with honey than vinegar is very accurate in this case. Stay positive, polite and respectful of them and their efforts and time and they will return it to you as their patient.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Kaplan and his nurses always made me feel like I mattered. They were sympathetic to my personal situation and allowed me to take an active role in determining the best steps for my treatment. He never pressured me to go beyond my comfort zone and even encouraged me to seek a different provider when he sensed I needed a change and fresh start after many failed attempts. He was very sensitive and gentle during all procedures and even made me laugh during the tense moments. He has a very kind and gentle demeanor with his patients, even affectionate at times. When I found out I miscarried my first pregnancy at 8 weeks, he leaned across the exam room table to comfort me and hold my hand through the tears and didn't seem fazed to wrinkle his fancy suit or get it dirty by doing so. After I got pregnant through a different clinic out of state, he and his nurses still agreed to manage my care locally throughout the first few weeks of my pregnancy until I was transferred to my OBGYN. Even though I did not get pregnant under his care, I have the utmost respect and care for Dr. Brian Kaplan and his team. They felt like my second family for several years.
FCI is a very large clinic that sees many patients every month. In order to stand out from that crowd, make sure you speak up when you have questions or concerns. Make yourself known to the doctor, nurses and staff. I also chose to maintain positive interactions with them, even when I felt sad, frustrated or disappointed with the results of my treatment. The old saying you catch more flies with honey than vinegar is very accurate in this case. Stay positive, polite and respectful of them and their efforts and time and they will return it to you as their patient. However, I think that is key advice for any clinic!
I felt very much like Dr. Kaplan and his team knew me as an individual, even though he sees a large number of patients every month. I always felt like he listened intently to my questions and concerns and answered them in a manner I could easily understand. He was always very hopeful for my success and encouraged me through every setback. His nurses were kind and sensitive and very committed to my treatment. When I had questions, his nurses were prompt in their response time.
Tammy was very prompt in returning phone calls. She never forgot to call me back, even if it meant stay at the office until very late at night. She was very clear with her instructions and never made me feel dumb for asking too many questions.
2012 - 2013, Successful
The thing that always stands out to me the most is when we had a false pregnancy where we thought we were pregnant for a few days and then ended up not being pregnant. We were heartbroken but Dr. Kaplan called us on his vacation from a family get together to talk to us for an hour about what happened, the process moving forward and made sure we were comfortable with what was going on. Not may people we take the time to do that and he cared a lot about how we were doing and what the next steps were.
Nursing staff always did a great job. They always followed up with us and made sure our experience was great!...The only issue we had was on a weekend we got some results from embryos that were tested that one had not passed the screening but the others were viable... the trouble was that we have two sets of embryos and in my set there was only one viable embryo going into the testing. The nurse did not know if my one embryo was the one that did not pass or not. After some very frustrating hours we finally figured out it was not my only viable embryo that did not pass but instead one of the multiple ones my spouse had, however the process was incredible stressful and frustrating. Overall they did solve the issue and get us the information later that day.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Hold on to him, he is the best!
Dr. Kaplan always went out of his way to make sure we knew everything that was going on and also him and his staff checked with us constantly during the process to make sure everything was goign well. We always felt very informed with the process.
I do not remember a lot of the protocols... I am sorry
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Clinic was awesome no complaints!
I do not remember other than it was reasonable and affordable.
2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr Kaplan was warm and friendly. He was open to answering all my questions and I never felt rushed or ignored while being treated...Our consultations were very straightforward. He shared his plan of action and every interaction was positive and and informative...Dr. Kaplan will only transfer one embryo and preferred frozen transfers...
Communication [with nurses at Fertility Centers of Illinois] was thorough, on time and I felt supported. Most of the communication was through the portal...The process of monitoring is very organized and able to get in and out in an hour or less. I established good relationships with several of the US techs and phlebotomist so it didn't feel cold or disconnected. Getting ahold of the front desk for scheduling was occasionally a headache....
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Our consultations were very straightforward. He shared his plan of action and every interaction was positive and and informative. Due to the pandemic our interactions were very limited but I never felt disconnected or unaware.
Have your questions ready. Do your part and have faith and patience in the process.
I stimmed with gonal-f and menopur for two days, and my follicles were growing nicely. I dropped down to gonal-f between 50 and 25 units. And the last couple days ganirelix was added to my medications. After 7 days on stims I triggered for my retrieval on day 9.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Communication was thorough, on time and I felt supported. Most of the communication was through the portal.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Dr. Kaplan will only transfer one embryo and preferred frozen transfers. I had no oppositions due to time to recovery and I am rather petite and did not want to chance having multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
One medication was not ordered. The issue was resolved same day for pickup.

2014 - 2016, Successful
I would highly recommend Dr. Kaplan. He was always trying to figure out my 'case' and why things haven't resulted in a positive outcome. He consulted other doctors in his practice regarding my course of treatment and has also suggested supplemental treatment (such as vitamin packs) which dramatically increased the number of high quality eggs that were retrieved...Dr. Kaplan has a wonderful bedside manner and is always empathetic. He holds your hand as you go through a transfer and explains everything that may happen. He was always available for a follow up call when a transfer resulted in a negative outcome and was open to changing medications or trying new things to get different results. I was having negative skin reactions to the progesterone in oil, so we worked to find an alternative that felt better.
The only negative comment I have [about FCI] is regarding wait times for ultrasounds because of the number of patients going through cycles at the same time. I got around this by taking the first available appointment of the day (usually between 6:30 and 7am) or coming in the middle of the day after the rush was gone...Utilize all of the resources available to you at FCI (e.g., fertility counselors) and keep asking questions about your treatment, especially if you feel that you aren't reacting well to certain medications etc.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Many nurses through different stages)
Always available for questions regarding medication protocols etc.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The only negative comment I have is regarding wait times for ultrasounds because of the number of patients going through cycles at the same time. I got around this by taking the first available appointment of the day (usually between 6:30 and 7am) or coming in the middle of the day after the rush was gone.

2011 - 2015, Successful
I will say that the rest of the clinic tends to run like an assembly line. Which is OK if you're progressing normally but would be frustrating if not. One nurse was brisk and rude by phone but overall the staff was kind and competent.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He is clearly very busy but once we were in his office, we felt like we had his full attention. He took notes and listened carefully and helped us with terminology for insurance forms. I'm about to return for my second round and I'm glad I had a good experience with him during the first round.
He appreciates thorough answers to his questions. Know your cycle length and if you have had issues, have dates/details ready.
While Dr. Kaplan treated us with care and compassion and got to know us - genetic as well as infertility issues - I will say that the rest of the clinic tends to run like an assembly line. Which is ok if you're progressing normally but would be frustrating if not. One nurse was brisk and rude by phone but overall the staff was kind and competent.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Don't recall)
The clinic delivered my pre-egg retrieval drugs without a clear start date. When I called the nurse she was flustered and rude and told me I should have started earlier. They are overwhelmed sometimes, which I understand, but I felt very frustrated by this misstep. Once we got going, everyone at the Chicago and especially highland park office was very kind and competent.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
As mentioned previously, the only issue was in the very beginning - we got a delivery of drugs but not a clear start date. It was a day or so before I got clarity on the date and my nurse was rude about it, clearly very busy and I felt like it was my fault that I didn't have the right info. After that, things went smoothly.
2013, Successful
I went through 2 cycles with Dr. Kaplan. My 1st cycle ended in a miscarriage due to an eptopic pregnancy. He encouraged me to be hopeful if I wanted to try again. I did decide to try again after having corrective surgery to remove the tubes. The treatment protocols didn't change very much and the 2nd cycle was successful with twin pregnancy!...Even though I didn't see him at every visit (I didn't expect to), I still felt cared for by Dr. Kaplan
Every visit for me was a pleasant one despite the outcome of my visit. The front staff, lab, techs and nurses were always a pleasure...Tammy is the best! She was caring and truly a gem. She went as far as reaching out to me after I transferred to my OBGyn just to see how I was doing. Great staff!...Even though I didn't see him at every visit (I didn't expect to), I still felt cared for by Dr. Kaplan
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
I started my fertility experience seeing Dr. Lederer decided not to continue because we weren't ready. Once I was ready to start again, Dr. Lederer had passed away and I asked to be transferred to Dr. Kaplan. I had no issue whatsoever with my request and was transferred to Dr. Kaplan and he took care of me beautifully from the first day!
He is caring, explains the process and procedure very well and is encouraging and sensitive to the process. Even though I didn't see him at every visit (I didn't expect to), I still felt cared for by Dr. Kaplan
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I don't have anything I would change. The clinic is a warm place and friendly staff. They seemed to truly care and were always encouraging.
I don't remember the exact costs but do remember the medications being costly even with insurance.
Chicago/River North

Dr Kaplan has been sensitive and caring. He seems very passionate about his work and helping couples achieve their dreams. He has a great bedside manner. He communicates well and explain everything in detail but still in a manner that non medical people will understand.... Dr Kaplan has a great bedside manner so far, he seems compassionate and caring.
The clinic [FCI-Chicago] has been great so far, very accommodating, if you get there early they have taken us in early, we come from Indiana so we end up getting there pretty early if traffic isn't bad. They have been very detailed and very informative, The clinic itself is very nice and very clean. I haven't seen any weaknesses yet.... [The nurses are] very attentive and communicates well, they keep you updated on your next stepsk and have a great patient portal to communicate through
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Do a lot of research and be informed
Dr Kaplan has a great bedside manner so far, he seems compassionate and caring. We are in the middle of treatment but I would def recommend him so far
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The clinic has been great so far, very accommodating, if you get there early they have taken us in early, we come from Indiana so we end up getting there pretty early if traffic isn't bad. They have been very detailed and very informative, The clinic itself is very nice and very clean. I haven't seen any weaknesses yet.
I appreciated that they have a policy of no more than two embryos, for the health and safety of baby (babies) and mom.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Brian made this journey a simple choice. We had all of the information required to make decisions quickly and his compassion was second to none. We lost all five of our initial fertilized eggs and Dr Brian was there to keep our spirits up and not losing the faith. The second retrieval resulted in our two amazing girls.
Dr. Brian [Kaplan at FCI] is THE best fertility Dr. avalible. He will work with you to achieve your dreams of a family while never losing faith. He will speak to your level and make sure you have the support and knowledge needed to succeed...We were always impressed with Teresa's responsiveness and thoroughness. Going through the journey comes with loads of paperwork and steps but Teresa kept us on track and on task...I can't think of any weaknesses as the staff and teams were all wonderful. The facilities were nice and everyone made us feel comfortable.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Dr. Brian is THE best fertility Dr. avalible. He will work with you to achieve your dreams of a family while never losing faith. He will speak to your level and make sure you have the support and knowledge needed to succeed.
Dr. Brian was magical. He had a gentle way of taking something extremely complex and making it seem simple. It was such an easy decision after our very first meeting. From that day to the day we welcomed our twin girls into the world was only 13 months.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Teresa Newell)
Chicago/River North
He [Brian R. Kaplan] was a grea Dr. He helped us start our family! Although we didn’t see him often when we did see him he answered all our questions, he made sure we knew what was going to happen. Dr. Kaplan treated us like the only patient....He was very compassionate and truly cared about how we felt and what happened throughout the process....Strength is the doctors, weakness would have to be how busy they [FCI - Chi] are and also the lack of communication the staff sometimes has. Sometimes you can be seen within 10min and other times your appointment can be over 2 hours long
Strength is the doctors, weakness would have to be how busy they [FCI - Chi] are and also the lack of communication the staff sometimes has. Sometimes you can be seen within 10min and other times your appointment can be over 2 hours long...We sent my husbands urologist report over multiple times and they kept saying they didn’t have it even after I gave it to them in person...The nurses that I would talk to or usually email mostly got back to me in a good amount of time. They were also very compassionate when they would call...Dr. Kaplan treated us like the only patient.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He was a grea Dr. He helped us start our family! Although we didn’t see him often when we did see him he answered all our questions, he made sure we knew what was going to happen. Dr. Kaplan treated us like the only patient.
Trust him!
I wish I could remember!
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Strength is the doctors, weakness would have to be how busy they are and also the lack of communication the staff sometimes has. Sometimes you can be seen within 10min and other times your appointment can be over 2 hours long
Our insurance covered 15k lifetime so with our first iuis and the beginning process of Ivf we payed OOP then once the big stuff started (the Ivf process) insurance kicked in. We initially payed about $16k OOp at the end of it all

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Kaplan had a good bedside manner, etc, but ultimately did not seem to be involved enough in the detail of my care. It was very frustrating to me that he recommended trying the same type(s) of procedures over and over, despite repeatedly getting the same poor results...They were not very organized; did not follow-up with specific results in a timely manner...
[FCI is] Very busy - need to manage your own care FCI as a clinic seemed ok. It was definitely a "cattle call" but I got used to that quickly. The problems I had were when things went poorly or there were quick decisions that needed to be made. For example, I had embryos that were supposed to be frozen, but were not looking like they were developing well (repeated problem). Given this had happened before and we'd ended up with nothing, I pushed FCI to do a 3 day transfer. Just to get this done took many, many phone calls, and time was of the essence. They did not have a sense of urgency or real willingness to try something different...
Don't go here
Insurance covered most of it - I paid about $2,000 per round

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He is a business owner and treats the patients as such. When we had failed attempts and a miscarriage there was no compassion or concern felt.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Don't expect great bed side manor and don't expect to be guided through the process. Get educated on what should happen and ask questions.
FCI is a fertility business. If you have ever spent time in the River North office, you can clearly see this as people are cycled into all areas (lab, ultrasound, consultations, psychology) There are just so many patients that there is no way you are remembered by any of the staff, most of which you will only see once or twice before another person is handling you.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
With so many moving parts, and so many Nurses to deal with between Kaplan's team, the clinic in Highland Park, as well as changes in his staff it is hard to know who to call when. We also had some issues with our egg thaws and lost entire batches. When we confronted him and the lab manager they took no responsibility until we forced the questions and brought up facts they did not know we knew.

2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
He was very positive but also has a reputation for being aggressive...I know of other friends who he told to go to another clinic because he straight up told them he couldn't help them anymore.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
He was very positive but also has a reputation for being aggressive. I know tons of people who are pregnant from him. The dissenters say he is a "pusher" of repeated IVF cycles where there is no hope, but I have not experienced that. I know of other friends who he told to go to another clinic because he straight up told them he couldn't help them anymore.
FCI is generally a well-oiled machine. You do not see Dr Kaplan except during the initial consult, egg retrieval, transfer, and each pregnancy ultrasound. You need to be an informed, proactive patient and advocate for yourself.
They kept good records of what had happened in the past. They also had special procedures in place for patients who had experienced a loss. I'm not sure they remembered me specifically, but they always reference my past history.
In my first IVF cycle with him he used the antagonist protocol and it produced good results (pending.)
Very happy to take time to explain things to you or address a problem if you needed it. Always had an understanding of what was going on with your specific case.
$12,000 for an IVF cycle - ours was covered by insurance.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
I think maybe one time some miscommunication occurred? Otherwise, they are on it.

2014, Successful
I am so lucky to have had Dr. Kaplan help us with our infertility journey. His positive attitude and encouragement were a tremendous help during a stressful and uncertain time. I never felt like a number and he was personable every time we saw him. His energy helped me to keep a positive attitude throughout the process. I felt safe and trusted him completely.
There was a LOT of information to absorb and the nurse [at FCI-Chicago] was very good about answering our questions, all one million of them. She did not mind if we asked a question more than once because we did not understand or forgot. Turnaround time with a response was very good.... This clinic is very busy, but also very efficient. It's a bit stressful in the waiting room because most everyone is anxious, however the staff, from the receptionists to the nurses to the check-out staff were all compassionate and kind.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Though Dr. Kaplan will be candid about facts, and some things may not be what you want to hear, he is honest about the reality of your situation. He has a warm bedside manner and great energy.
Immediately I felt a warm connection with Dr. Kaplan. I truly felt that he genuinely cared about our situation and was both sincere and candid at our meetings.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois.
There was a LOT of information to absorb and the nurse was very good about answering our questions, all one million of them. She did not mind if we asked a question more than once because we did not understand or forgot. Turnaround time with a response was very good.
Chicago/River North
Dr. Kaplan is an amazing doctor. He keeps up on all new studies- I also have a clinical background and he took the time to go into all details that I needed to understand. He was very kind and compassionate...He made sure I was okay when he told me it wasn’t a viable pregnancy. He also explained every step thoroughly... make sure to ask all questions because you won’t see him again until retrieval...The strengths is that there are several branches [FCI] so I could get monitored either in the city if I was working from home or the suburbs (highland park) if I was at work. Weakness is that you are just a number and no one knows who you are because they have so many patients
The strengths is that there are several branches [FCI - Chi] so I could get monitored either in the city if I was working from home or the suburbs (highland park) if I was at work. Weakness is that you are just a number and no one knows who you are because they have so many patients...The nurse forgot to call me with the time of my trigger shot. I needed to hunt down the after hours nurse and it was very stressful...Dr. Kaplan is an amazing doctor. He keeps up on all new studies- I also have a clinical background and he took the time to go into all details that I needed to understand. He was very kind and compassionate
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
One of the best in Illinois - make sure to ask all questions because you won’t see him again until retrieval
Agontist protocol was used
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
The strengths is that there are several branches so I could get monitored either in the city if I was working from home or the suburbs (highland park) if I was at work. Weakness is that you are just a number and no one knows who you are because they have so many patients

2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Very personable and informative. With my first miscarriage from IUI, his [Dr. Kaplan] manner was not as warm. With my second miscarriage from IVF, his manner was warmer with more empathy for us. Even though I did not get the outcome I hoped for, his experience and credentials make him a top doctor in the area...Drugs were Follistim, Menopur, Lupron, progesterone shots and suppositories, estrogen patches, baby aspirin. Resulted in 14 eggs and 5 embryos for freeze.
Lots of patients [at FCI - Chicago]. Sometimes they run behind on appointments. Just started a support group which I think is a good thing for patients...We paid out of pocket for everything. Medicine had some coverage under insurance..Stop saying when there is a miscarriage that the baby may have been genetically abnormal and it was nature doing its job. As women going through that in the moment, we hate hearing that because it was a baby that was wanted.
How was your experience with Brian Kaplan at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
Very personable and informative. With my first miscarriage from IUI, his manner was not as warm. With my second miscarriage from IVF, his manner was warmer with more empathy for us. Even though I did not get the outcome I hoped for, his experience and credentials make him a top doctor in the area.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
Lots of patients. Sometimes they run behind on appointments. Just started a support group which I think is a good thing for patients.
Recommended transfer of two embryos because of my age.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Kaplan is caring, kind and friendly. He makes us feel welcome and comfortable, like family. He is also extremely good at what he does, which explains the two babies we have from his work. Unlike other doctors we went to, Dr. Kaplan gives us a hug at every visit and genuinely cares about our well-being and the success of our fertility treatments...Ilene, the nurse coordinator, was integral to the team and the success of our treatment. We had to change the course of treatment due to a mistake on our end and she was there all along to work with us and make sure we were back on track. We love seeing her at the office and she makes us feel like family.
Trust him.
Dr. Kaplan met with us and talked to us like individuals, humans he cared about. He was interested and invested in our interests. We could not have felt better after meeting with him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Fertility Centers of Illinois. (Assigned nurse: Ilene )
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of Illinois.
FCI is busy, like factory. Be patient, it takes time and isn't always super efficient.