Medical SchoolU. of Pittsburgh
216-285-5028
2055 Crocker Rd.
Westlake, OH 44145
440-808-5100
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Brooke Rossi to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend University Hospitals Fertility Center to a friend?
Each time I’ve met with Dr. Rossi she has been incredibly kind, patient and thorough. She takes the time to get to know your personal history, current concerns and formulated a plan to fit your needs....Dr Rossi is very pleasant and easy to talk to. She treats you with respect and lays out all the information needed for you to make an educated decision about your own treatment....My first 3 months of treatment I took letrozle 5mg daily on cycle days 3-7 with timed intercourse.
How was your experience with Brooke Rossi at University Hospitals Fertility Center?
Dr Rossi is very pleasant and easy to talk to. She treats you with respect and lays out all the information needed for you to make an educated decision about your own treatment. Approximately 3 months ago I had an ectopic pregnancy. I went to my local emergency room and needed emergency surgery. I had called the clinic before going into surgery to let them know but Dr Rossi wasn’t in that day. I let the nurse know and she said to keep them posted. About an hour later Dr Rossi called me herself to find out how I was doing and give me some advice to make sure the surgeon did whatever she could to spare my damaged tube. Dr Rossi also called me 2 days later to check on me and make sure surgery went ok and to get an update and talk about where we go from there. She truly cares about her patients and their well-being and does what she can to make this difficult process a little easier.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brooke Rossi at University Hospitals Fertility Center?
If you have had any prior testing or treatments, try to get all records from that to take with you on your consult visit. It is super helpful to have hard copies of everything right there with you and she then can dictate all your history right into your chart.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brooke Rossi at University Hospitals Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Brooke Rossi used in your cycles at University Hospitals Fertility Center and their degree of success.
My first 3 months of treatment I took letrozle 5mg daily on cycle days 3-7 with timed intercourse. I had already tried Clomid with another doctor and although I was thought to ovulate with Clomid, she wanted to try something different. All 3 months I ovulated and all 3 months failed. After the letrozole, we switched back to Clomid and did 3 monitored IUI cycles. Again, Each cycle I ovulated and each cycle failed. We then met for a sort of “regroup” as I was getting tired of the same results. Our options were continue on oral medicated IUI cycles, try injectable IUI cycles or move on to IVF. Obviously, IVF gave us the best success rate but we pay out of pocket for treatment and can not afford IVF. We opted for injectable cycles with IUI. Dr Rossi said she would allow us to do 3 cycles but if they didn’t work that we would need to move onto IVF and that the sooner the better. I have done 2 cycles so far with Gonal-F injections beginning at 100iu on cycle day 3 and am monitored every other day. My doses have been tweaked a little here and there depending on my estradiol levels throughout the cycle. My first injectable cycle I had 1-2 mature follicles and triggered with Ovidrel for IUI 36 hours later. Beginning 3 days after IUI I start using Progesterone suppositories twice daily. Failed cycle. I am now currently in my two week wait after my second injectable cycle with the same protocol. This time I had 2-3 mature follicles. Crossing my fingers for a positive result!
Describe your experience with your nurse at University Hospitals Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Diane and Carol)
Both nurses that I see regularly at the clinic are phenomenal! I see them approximately 6 times per month and they are always pleasant, informative and gentle. I’m also very impressed with the speediness of the clinic. On an average monitoring appointment with lab work and ultrasound I am in and out in 30 minutes! That’s amazing! One of the nurses always calls me later that afternoon after talking to Dr Rossi with the results of my labs and an updated plan.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
The clinic is great! All the staff are friendly. They seem to be very efficient in my experience. The office itself is always clean and the wait time is usually minimal. Sometimes if they have a lot of patients being monitored it can get a bit crowded in the waiting room, as it is small and there are only 8 or so chairs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brooke Rossi at University Hospitals Fertility Center.
My insurance covers the testing and medications so my cost was cut significantly by that. I pay approx $200 per month for the monitoring and medications. My IUIs cost $420 per cycle and an IVF cycle costs approx $10,000 (we haven’t gone through with that yet due to the cost)
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Rossi makes me feel comfortable....I'm single ttc, so all of my procedures have been with donor sperm...She provides all options, and you decide what treatment you are comfortable with at the time. She is also comfortably conservative, meaning she doesn't rush to invasive surgeries without trying less invasive treatments or procedures first...She has also done both of my surgeries (lap. cystectomy and open myomectomy) with good results. I look forward to my 2nd IVF attempt in the summer 2018, once my uterus is completely healed from the myomectomy.
5 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Rossi makes me feel comfortable. She provides all options, and you decide what treatment you are comfortable with at the time. She is also comfortably conservative, meaning she doesn't rush to invasive surgeries without trying less invasive treatments or procedures first. When I achieved my pregnancy via IVF, I sadly miscarried. She discussed the potential "why's" to the situation, but then gave me a sincere hug and said "I'm so sorry; we will keep working..." I felt so comforted and understood in that moment, which is why I continue to see her. She has also done both of my surgeries (lap. cystectomy and open myomectomy) with good results. I look forward to my 2nd IVF attempt in the summer 2018, once my uterus is completely healed from the myomectomy.
Prepare a list of questions before your appointment. It's so easy to forget something you wanted to discuss with her.
Dr. Rossi is both objective/clinical, while still being empathetic.
I'm single ttc, so all of my procedures have been with donor sperm. My first IUI was a natural cycle. Then I used clomid for the next few IUI's. My 5th IUI was a canceled IVF cycle due to lack of response (didn't have enough follicles to warrant an IVF cycle), so I did IUI. All 5 IUI's were negative. My 1st and only IVF resulted in a pregnancy in Oct. 2017, but I miscarried at 7 weeks. I had transferred two day 3 embryos, and was pregnant with a singleton. Since I had a miscarriage, we decided to move forward with an open myomectomy in Jan. 2018 to remove 6 fibroids, as well as endometriosis (which we already knew I had from the cystectomy I had in April 2017). I've done two egg retrievals. One before the 1st IVF cycle and a second cycle before the myomectomy. So now I have two day 3 embryos and two day 6 embryos. Once my uterus heals in 6 months (July 2018), I will transfer another embryo(s).
Nurse Diane and Nurse Carol are the primary nurses you see at UH Fertility's Westlake office. They are the best!
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
You can make some appointments at the Westlake office (across from Crocker Park). This is more convenient for some rather than driving to Beachwood. Some procedures have to be done at the Beachwood location (Ahuja Medical Center). Everyone is so nice at both locations.
IUI with donor sperm was $300 (not including the cost of sperm). IVF is $10,000 for egg retrieval and embryo transfer, plus another $2,000 or so for meds from a local pharmacy (depends on your specific protocol).
Describe Brooke Rossi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Yes, my Dr. and the UH practice follows the guidelines; however, it depends on your age, health issues, etc. As well as the determined quality of your embryos, etc. The entire team discusses which embryos and how many you should transfer beforehand, but it's ultimately up to you and what you are comfortable with the day of transfer.
PCOS, Unexplained
Dr Rossi went through my whole medical history with trying to get pregnant. She didn't force any procedure but laid out several options over a varied time frame for my husband & I to consider. Every time I had a concern or question, I was able to reach out to her office & her nurses have been very helpful in answering everything & getting back to me in a timely manner...With my PCOS I know we need to be more aggressive & if I'm not pregnant by the summer we need to figure out a way to be able to afford the injections & iui.
PCOS, Unexplained
Like I said previously, Dr Rossi has been thorough with developing a plan to help get me pregnant. She understands that certain procedures are too costly for my husband & I & has looked at all routes in mapping out potential plans. We know the risk & cost with everything & wish we could afford it all. With my PCOS I know we need to be more aggressive & if I'm not pregnant by the summer we need to figure out a way to be able to afford the injections & iui. We've have several failed iui's & my husband is worried in shelling out more cash to something with a very low chance of working. We're tired of being disappointed but Dr Rossi has been willing to meet with us on several occasions to see what she can do. She has been helpful & we're still hoping for a miracle!
I would say that dr Rossi gives her patients the time to listen that most doctors don't normally do.
Seven months prior to being with Dr Rossi, I was with another doctor who I did feel treated me like a number. It was a foreign doctor through another clinic whom at times I couldn't understand them verbally & who I felt couldn't understand me emotionally. Eventually after 7 failed months I went to Dr Rossi because she was referred to me through a friend. Dr Rossi went through my whole medical history with trying to get pregnant. She didn't force any procedure but laid out several options over a varied time frame for my husband & I to consider. Every time I had a concern or question, I was able to reach out to her office & her nurses have been very helpful in answering everything & getting back to me in a timely manner. Dr Rossi gave us a time frame that if I'm not pregnant by summer then we need a more aggressive approach (than just taking either clomid or letrozole with timed intercourse). She suggested hormone injections with iui & although we agree we need the more aggressive approach (since I have PCOS) the cost of all of this in two teachers salaries is quite more than we can squeeze, especially with no guarantee. In the mean time, my husband are remaining hopeful & trust our care with Dr Rossi.
She prescribed me Clomid for several months (even though I was on letrozole for 7 months prior). We did a procedure to make sure my tubes were open & followed up with the trigger shot & iui. That again failed so my husband & I took two months off to relax & recover, & then was back at it on clomid. Now I'm on letrozole with the trigger shot & timed intercourse to see if that works. If it doesn't work over the next few months, then we need injectables .
Describe your experience with your nurse at University Hospitals Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Diane)
I've mainly dealt with Diane & occasionally Carol. They have been really great at listening & answering all questions and concerns thoroughly. They would return your calls in a timely manner also.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Every so often the coding with certain procedures was off and after we were billed for things we were able to get certain things corrected in a timely manner. At one time the receptionist in the office called to apologize that something was coded incorrectly and that it was A good thing that we didn't outfront pay for our appointment because in the end our insurance covered it
Majority of the time Dr. Rossi was able to have procedures coated or in a way to ensure that my insurance would cover it and there wouldn't be any hassling when I would be billed. She would review our insurance information to make sure certain things would be covered and advised us when they wouldn't. I believe once or twice we did have an issue but luckily we were able to have it resolved.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Rossi took time to talk with us and was very detailed in her explanations...I had to be my own advocate for testing. It turned out that I was Vitamin D deficient and my tsh level was elevated during my second pregnancy. I wish that I had been monitored better as I was already a known hypo patient and later found out that I have Hashimoto's disease.... I dealt with the nurses on most of my visits and not Dr. Rossi.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Rossi always took the time to explain things to us and made us feel comfortable enough to ask questions. She has exceptional bedside manner. I do feel that some things were overlooked that could have affected my fertility. I had to be my own advocate for testing. It turned out that I was Vitamin D deficient and my tsh level was elevated during my second pregnancy. I wish that I had been monitored better as I was already a known hypo patient and later found out that I have Hashimoto's disease. They only tested my TSH and never ran a full panel on my thyroid. This may have helped to prevent my first miscarriage. However, I dealt with the nurses on most of my visits and not Dr. Rossi.
Make sure that you request any blood work that you feel is necessary. You have to be your own advocate and become knowledgeable enough to know what to request. Otherwise, you may spend thousands of dollars on unsuccesful treatments only to find out, you just needed thyroid meds or Vitamin D supplements to restore fertility.
Dr. Rossi took time to talk with us and was very detailed in her explanations. She was compassionate during both of my miscarriages.
At 39, I conceived easily after two months of trying naturally. At 8 weeks we found that the heartbeat stopped. We tried again naturally for 3 months after the first loss and then started clomid with no other intervention. After 3 more months of not conceiving, we did an IUI on Clomid. I conceived with the first IUI and it turned out to be an ectopic pregnancy. Dr. Rossi suggested we try IUI again and did not feel I needed intervention as aggressive as IVF, considering I had two pregnancies in less than a year. Our focus is now more on maintaining once I conceive again, rather than just the conception. I decided to see an acupuncturist and see if we can conceive without medical intervention.
The one nurse I worked with was very compassionate and wonderful. Sadly, half the time, I had another nurse who seemed to be less than knowledgeable and actually told me based on my hcg levels, I likely "just had a chemical pregnancy." It was actually an ectopic and either way, the loss is still felt the samem
This is not applicable to my treatment.
Brooke Rossi
She [Dr. Rossi] did not just talk numbers and tests, she wanted to know how I was emotionally doing and explaining things we are looking at for the future...Dr. Rossi treats my fiancé and I like humans because she is very knowledgeable about our specific case, works with a infertility urologist at another hospital to remain up to date with the status of sperm samples, and she has called and spoke with me over the phone for 20 minutes.
Brooke Rossi is an excellent doctor. She wants to help and assist to give me everything I've ever wanted- a child. She has listened to my story (losing a child in the past during open heart surgery) and my fears of the future. She makes me feel comfortable and I feel safe in her care. I know she is and will continue to do everything to make our dreams come true. Unfortunatley, we are dealing with male factor infertility, which is not something she can assist with. She referred us to an infertility urologist and works with that doctor to keep up to date with the status of the sperm count. Even though we are seeing the urologist a lot more than Dr. Rossi right now, I know she is still there for us and she's ready for us to come back and further our treatments.
Be patient. Dr. Rossi is a very busy doctor with many patients. I understand why because she is a great doctor but it's hard to wait for long periods of time to get in to see her. The infertility is stressful and having to wait so long isn't the best.
Dr. Rossi treats my fiancé and I like humans because she is very knowledgeable about our specific case, works with a infertility urologist at another hospital to remain up to date with the status of sperm samples, and she has called and spoke with me over the phone for 20 minutes. She did not just talk numbers and tests, she wanted to know how I was emotionally doing and explaining things we are looking at for the future.
Dr. Rossi ran bloodwork on me, did a vaginal ultrasound, and ordered a HSG test. I completed all. She also referred by fiancé to a infertility urologist.
All very kind.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
UH sees A LOT of patients and that's very obvious with the wait list to get into doctors. I feel as if it is very frustrating to have to wait months to get in. UH is a really good hospital. They're professional, kind, and understanding.
The consultation was free. Everything else is too expensive and I'm having a very difficult time paying the medical bills.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Brooke Rossi] went out of her way to call me to discuss results. She has always been honest with me and respected my preferences...She is very knowledgeable and honest about my treatment. She has a good bedside manner the majority of the time. Even though she is knowledgeable, there are times that I felt she didn't give me all the information. I'm not sure how much she understands endometriosis.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Do your own research on fertility treatments and come up with specific questions to ask.
She went out of her way to call me to discuss results. She has always been honest with me and respected my preferences.
The nurses are very compassionate and knowledgeable. They always call back with results of early morning blood tests by late afternoon of the same day. They are always willing to answer any questions I have had.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
The clinic's staff of nurses and doctors seem to be very organized. The nurses are always kind and compassionate. There was only one doctor out of the clinic's RE team that I had a bad experience with (Dr. Liu). He did not have a good bedside manner and he did not listen to me when I was in a lot of pain during an IUI procedure. I think a big weakness of this clinic is that they mainly do Day 3 Embryo Transfers. Based on the research I have read, Day 5 embryos have the best chance of implanting. During each of my IVF cycles, the lab froze 2 Day 3 embryos so that I would have something to transfer. The rest of my embryos were allowed to grow out to Day 5 but none of them made it. Just be aware that this clinic focuses on Day 3 transfers, and I personally believe it is to make sure the patient has something to transfer instead of taking the risk that the patient has nothing to transfer.
The only things covered by my insurance were ultrasounds and blood work. Everything else was paid for out of pocket. An IUI with medication like Clomid cost around $500. An IUI with injectables (such as Follistim) cost around $1100. An IVF cycle cost about $9800. All of the medications for the IVF cycle cost around $4000. Therefore, one IVF cycle at UH costs around $14,000-15,000 if you are paying out of pocket.
Anovulation, Unexplained
Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Rossi was a wonderful and compassionate doctor. If I called and specifically requested to talk to her, she would return my call as soon as she could (though the nurses were usually able to give me the answers I needed). She explained the IVF process thoroughly and in a way we could understand it. We discussed our odds and risks and made a plan with her that suited our situation and desired outcome.
You probably will not see Dr. Rossi at every visit. All of my morning monitoring visits were handled by the nursing staff and techs. If she was in the office she would pop in to say hello. The procedures will also be handled by the doctor on the schedule that day, but all are wonderful and well informed.
Dr. Rossi and the nursing staff always remembered who I was and what our current status was despite the large number of patients. I always felt like my questions were valid and felt things were sufficiently explained throughout the process.
We did start by doing a few more rounds of oral medication with IUI. This was mostly diagnostic, to monitor my cycles more closely than my OBGYN did and get an idea of what my body was/was not doing. The result of these was simply unexplained infertility. We did have one chemical pregnancy from these cycles. Dr. Rossi discussed with us that our options going forward were injectable stimulation with IUI or IVF. We discussed the potential risk of large numbers of multiples or cancelled cycles since I was a high responder to stimulation and opted to go directly to IVF to have more control over how many embryos were given a chance to implant. I did not feel like we were pushed by Dr. Rossi to go in any direction, but I did trust her opinion and ended up taking her recommendation. We started the first cycle with a lupron protocol, but when my body ovulated through the lupron we cancelled the stimulation and egg retrieval and started over the next month with an antagonistic protocol. Dr. Rossi was very conservative with the stimulation and it ended up being a good thing since I did respond quickly and strongly and we ended up having to back off the stimulation toward the end. After egg retrieval I did end up overstimulating a little so we decided to freeze all the day 5 embryos and give my body the month off. My first transfer the next month ended up being successful and resulted in a pregnancy that is currently in the third trimester.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University Hospitals Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Katie)
All of the nurses were wonderful. They would get you in and out of the office quickly in the morning and called promptly in the afternoon after the results came in and a plan was made. They were able to answer my questions thoroughly or would get the answers I needed as quickly as possible. They were always warm and kind as well.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
The clinic runs like a well oiled machine in the morning during monitoring appointments. They get to blood and ultrasounds done quickly and you always meet with a nurse to make sure you are on the same page about the status of your current cycle. I was usually in and out of the office for those appointments in less than 30 minutes. Appointments are as early as 7:00 AM. The waiting area never had children in it for morning appointments and rarely if you had to come in later in the day. You will deal with RN's 90% of the time and you may to have "your" doctor on the day of your procedures since it's a practice.
IVF was not covered by my insurance. The "package price" for egg retrieval, fertilization with or without ICSI and one transfer was about 9k. Medications were not included. Monitoring appointments were not covered by my insurance but were $200 per appointment.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
She [Dr. Brooke Rossi] allowed us to decide the next corse of action in terms of our available options. After several miscarriages with unknown reasons she began throwing everything into the pot, which is when I lost confidence in her abilities to get me the results I desired. The treatments were controversial and risky with only a small success rate...She took a lot of time to sit and answer all of my questions. She explained my options, allowing me tot ale my time to decide.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Unexplained
She was really nice and compassionate with good bedside manner. She would spend a lot of time with me answering my list of questions and concerns. She allowed us to decide the next corse of action in terms of our available options. After several miscarriages with unknown reasons she began throwing everything into the pot, which is when I lost confidence in her abilities to get me the results I desired. The treatments were controversial and risky with only a small success rate.
Ask a lot of questions and be your own advocate!
Femara: superovulation with one good egg. Experimental injection: increased chance of pregnancy (myself and my partner opted not to do this)
She was very nice and would talk to me about small things to ease my nerves and anxiety.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
West side location with earlier hours allowed me the chance to get ultrasounds and bloodwork before work.
Femara, ultrasounds, bloodwork,
No embryo transfers under her care
Westlake
Dr Rossi is very compassionate and allows time in the visit to go over every option and details. She is very honest. She understand my situation and is reassuring that a child is in my future. She takes patient preference into the plan of care.... 3 rounds with clomid and 1 with letrizole. Negative results thus far. She did not feel use of ovidrel was necessary because I had accurate home opk kits, although she was open to using if I preferred
Trust the process
The office staff is very patient and listens to all the rollercoaster emotions you are going through.
Describe your experience with your nurse at University Hospitals Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Carol and Diane )
The nicest group of nurses. Very empathetic and understanding
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
Has a satellite office on the west side and main site in beechwood - sometimes the communication and charting can be unorganized between the two offices. Often have to use both sites as sperm stored at main site and satellite not open on weekends
Iui using donor Sperm-300 Insurance covered monitoring
N/a yet. Will know soon
Westlake
She [Dr. Brooke Rossi] was always very honest and upfront as well as compassionate about what was going on and always had a plan in place. High value in her ability to clearly communicate and her knoledge of all procedure and medications.... Always showed compassion when speaking to me.... University Hospital has multiple locations for the procedures the clinic offices hospitals and staff for clean and courteous.
She was always very honest and upfront as well as compassionate about what was going on and always had a plan in place. High value in her ability to clearly communicate and her knoledge of all procedure and medications.
Prepare your self that even with all things in place it mat not prove successful. Be realistic.
Always showed compassion when speaking to me.
Lupron gandaotropins progesterone
Pleasant and caring
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
University Hospital has multiple locations for the procedures the clinic offices hospitals and staff for clean and courteous. For improvement I would say results communicated more quickly as well as planned for the day and willingness to newer theories and thoughts on medications
5800 per cycle plus meds
Preferred 2
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
I only saw Dr. Rossi for IUIs and did not have success with either. During the IUI procedures I did not see Dr. Rossi. Dr. Rossi did remove polyps from my uterus and she was very kind during that time... The doctors are kind but you don't interact with them at all if you are doing less invasive procedures (clomid, IUI). ... I was prescribed progesterone for my IUI but no one ever informed me of when to stop taking it or when to follow up after my IUI was performed.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Ask as many questions as possible when you get the chance to see and talk to her.
2 IUIs due to unexplained infertility at a relatively young age. Neither IUI resulted in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with University Hospitals Fertility Center.
The doctors are kind but you don't interact with them at all if you are doing less invasive procedures (clomid, IUI). The facility is very nice and the nursing staff is fairly decent. It is easy to get a hold of someone at the front desk and scheduling appointments is hassle free.
Beachwood
Dr. Rossi is very matter-of-fact, but she takes into account your personal situation and preferences, so you end up being treated as a unique individual. Love her!...While not every appointment or procedure was with Dr. Rossi personally, all of her staff are fantastic and always professional. Information was provided in a timely manner and I felt very well-informed and cared for throughout the process.