Medical SchoolU. of Georgia
Winchester
1820 West Plaza Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
1-540-662-6092
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Bruce Bateman to a friend?

6.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia to a friend?
Dr. Bateman was always realistic with my husband and I. He never made any promises he couldn’t keep. When I had bleeding early in my pregnancy he had me come to the office right away to make sure the baby and I were both ok. He even called me a few days later to check on me...will never get mad or annoyed for asking too many questions. He wants you to feel involved in your own care.
How was your experience with Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
If you ever have any questions along the way, ask them. Dr. Bateman will never get mad or annoyed for asking too many questions. He wants you to feel involved in your own care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Bateman always made it a point to ask me how my husband and I were feeling emotionally. He never treated us like just another number or another couple. He individualized his care to make us feel like we were the only couple he was caring for.
Describe the protocols Bruce Bateman used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
Clomid- no negative results, but no pregnancy. Gonal F- no negative results, pregnancy Lupron- no negative results, pregnancy Estradiol- no negative results, pregnancy HCG- no negative results, pregnancy
The nursing staff was mostly friendly, some more than others. I was given the work phone number for one of the nurses (which she told me to use if I ever had any questions or concerns while cycling) and she always acted like I was bothering her. It made me apprehensive to reach out.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
The front staff is very friendly and do a great job of working with your work schedule as far as scheduling your appointments. The clinic nurses were nice, but some days they appeared rushed. One of the IVF corrdinators was very friendly and always willing to asnwer any questions I had. The other IVF coordinator had a tendency to act as if I was bothering her with questions or concerns.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
For fertility medications, egg retrieval, genetic testing, and embryo transfer we paid at least $26,000.
Describe Bruce Bateman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Dr. Bateman advise my husband and I that because our infertility was due to a sperm based issue we should only implant one embryo at a time.

2013 - 2019
Dr. Bateman is a true professional in every sense of the word. He understands the physical and mental burden of infertility. I could confide in him for medical and emotional support whenever needed.... Dr. Bateman is by far the most compassionate doctor we have ever met and is such a great mentor for such a sensitive subject.... Going back to 2013 there was several medical procedures conducted to ensure she was healthy for egg retrieval and pregnancy. During the egg retrieval she was closely monitored for "overstimulation."
2013 - 2019
Never knowing what to expect and never anticipating we would be in that situation, I never felt alone. Which is ironic considering infertility makes one feel quite isolated. No one in either of our families has infertility issues. Our infertility was always unexplained which added to the frustration. Dr. Bateman's clinic is a top notch facility. Knowing what we've tried and how long we've been trying prior to IVF, our doctors and nurses came up with a plan and stuck to it. We understand we are blessed and could not be more thankful for our miracles. Dr. Bateman is by far the most compassionate doctor we have ever met and is such a great mentor for such a sensitive subject.
Listen to your doctor.
As the spouse I was my wife's nurse through the treatment. Going back to 2013 there was several medical procedures conducted to ensure she was healthy for egg retrieval and pregnancy. During the egg retrieval she was closely monitored for "overstimulation." Once the correct day was targeted, we were called in for retrieval. The eggs were fertilized and at day 3 were not ideal for transfer so we opted for 5 days. On our first transfer, 2 embryos were used, one of which took resulting in a single birth. The following times, with vitrified embryos, single embryos were used each resulting in single births. We plan to discuss options of remaining embryos in the months to come.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix)
Stephanie was phenomenal. She as well understands the struggle of infertility and shared in our highs (mostly highs with UVA) and lows when coming to the facility. She relayed the results to us over phone calls and visits and even provided personal contact info where she could be reached at all times of the day knowing what we were going through.
You are literally guided through the whole process and reassured along the way. While I understand not everyone receives the best results, you can assure this clinic is 100% equipped and informed to address the most complicated of cases.
$20,000 shared risk program + $5,000 medications
I felt they were rationale and we adhered to the doctor and nurse's recommendation to avoid multiple births.
Charlottesville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.

He is so very kind. He will continue to explain the procedures and talk through all of your options. I never once felt like I was being forced to make a certain decision. He was supportive of us along the way. We appreciated his candor and sense of humor.
Don’t be afraid to ask him any questions, especially if you are uncomfortable. He is very open and honest and never laughs at any questions.
Dr. Bateman is such a kind man with a good sense of humor. This is an emotionally taxing experience and he takes it all in stride while explaining the options available to you.
Due to the fact that the majority of my family has not had any problems getting pregnant, Dr. Bateman started us off, after an HSG test shows my ovaries weren’t blocked, with letrozole medicine and timed intercourse. He adjust the dosage of my hypothyroidism medication as well. After 3 cycles of just letrozole and timed intercourse, we decided to progress to IUI’s. Toward the last IUI, my husband was referred to a male fertility specialist. His testosterone was found to be low and he was put on medication. We decided to stop treatment at that time due to the fact that we can’t afford IVF which is the next procedure we wanted to pursue.
They were the best. Caring and kind, no matter who you were with. Very professional and efficient. They answered all my questions and if I ever had to call, were prompt to return my calls
Make sure you validate EXACTLY what your insurance will and will not cover before starting treatment. Anytime you are there for a visit, do not feel shy about asking why you’re being charged or have them explain the bill.
Cash pay IUI was $395 then I had to pay $89 for an ultrasound visit following my cycle. Before we did our first IUI, our diagnostic tests were covered by insurance.

2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
When I started my infertility journey in 1999, things were very different. The current treatment of that archaic time was to cut out a wedge of my ovary to “kickstart” it. With Dr. Bateman everything he recommended was researched-based and progressive.... Dr. Bateman put in my twins in 2014. When I went back last month to put in my last remaining frozen embryo, he remembered me. With the numerous people he sees on a daily basis, he took time to talk to me before the FET and hold my hand and wish me luck when it was complete.
2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
When I started my infertility journey in 1999, things were very different. The current treatment of that archaic time was to cut out a wedge of my ovary to “kickstart” it. With Dr. Bateman everything he recommended was researched-based and progressive. He never recommended fertility drugs like Clomid, I did 14 cycles of that in 2000. He read my medical history and knew I did not need to go back to that stage. When the IUI did not work, he was the one who said IVF with ICSI was needed due to my husband’s inconsistent sperm counts and motility. When the two fresh embryos did not take when a colleague put them in, he recommended assisted hatching. This cycle, four years later, Now includes assisted hatching in its basic costs. Every “setback” was seen by him as another step. He never once made me feel that a baby was not just around the corner. He kept hope even when we were stressed and losing faith. His calm manner was contagious.
Don’t do a fresh transfer, let your body go back to equilibrium.
Dr. Bateman put in my twins in 2014. When I went back last month to put in my last remaining frozen embryo, he remembered me. With the numerous people he sees on a daily basis, he took time to talk to me before the FET and hold my hand and wish me luck when it was complete. Both FETs he did resulted in pregnancies. I’m currently 16 days with baby three after starting this process in 1999!
Skipped Clomid because of my 2000 records. Started with prelim tests to check for causes of infertility. No blockages in tubes, good egg reserve, high thyroid, PCOS, low sperm count and motility. Did IUI because we requested. Did egg retrieval protocol with Gonal F and frequent ovary checks. Egg retrieval followed by fresh transfer. ICSI and 2 fresh 5 day blasts used. Three additional blasts frozen on day five. Unsuccessful Frozen Embryo Transfer using assisted hatching at age 38. Twins. I think same meds last time as this time. Frozen Embryo Transfer age 42. 16 days pregnant. Medications this time were birth control, estrace, lupron, progesterone in oil and progesterone suppositories. And thyroid meds.
Stephanie knew me by name and was there the day I found out it was twins. I went in early (5weeks) because I was bleeding. I was so worried. Dr. Bateman was calm and looking at the ultrasound machine. For the first time it was faced away from me. Stephanie was standing right behind him. I knew when I saw her smile from ear to ear that everything was okay. Then they turned around the screen and I saw the two sacs for myself. I was not the only one tearing up. She was also the one to call me the first time with the fresh transfer and break the news that it was not a pregnancy. I would not want that part of her job for all the money in the world. She is a blessing. Finally, at the end of my egg retrieval cycle in 2014, when they kept upping my dose until I was at four vials a day, I ended up running short mere days before the trigger shot. She packed a small bag for me that had the necessary meds so I did not have to pay extra for overnight delivery. (Now they all seem to deliver overnight.)
Overall I would rate this clinic a 10/10. Every step, from diagnosis to treatment, made sense and gave me hope. A friend referred me here. She had her son via an IUI. On my first visit, they did preliminary tests and actually sat and read 12 years of prior records! Dr. Smith sat with me for almost an hour and answered my laundry list of questions. I felt at ease and hopeful for the very first time. Additionally, things moved quickly. After more than a decade of vague answers, I walked out of this clinic in less than a year pregnant with twins. Is it any wonder I went back this year to see if my frozen baby would take?
My insurance paid for testing until I got a diagnosis. After that, we paid around 500 plus meds for the IUIs. We were approved for the $20k shared risk program, but at the last minute went with the $12k procedure which included egg retrieval, ICSI, and transfer. The following FET cycles cost $2850. Meds for the egg retrieval ran about $3K and about $700 for the transfers. Costs have changed since I first went; for example, assisted hatching is included in the price now. My first FET was $2500 with $650 added for AH. Now everyone pays the $2850. In reality, the only thing that slowed down our journey to parenthood was money. I took us right at a year to save the money for the four months of treatment (2IUIs, 1 fresh ICSI IVF, 1 frozen ICSI, AH, IVF) we ended up doing.
I was 38 and had been seeking fertility treatments for 14 years. By the time we were recommended to Dr. Bateman, we were serious about having at least one. We were counseled about multiple births and selected 2 for the fresh and 2 more for the frozen. He gave us guidelines, but the final choice within those guidelines was ours.
Charlottesville

Dr. Bateman was very personable and made connections to both me and my husband and made us feel like people instead of a number. He made the process less clinical and more like he was there to help provide us with the extension to our family.... Even during my egg procedure when I was extremely scared and anxious he personally came in to calm me and made sure I knew I was in good hands and he personally checked on me after, not just sending in a nurse. I always felt he cared and wanted his patients to succeed with treatments. I never felt that this was just a job to him but he truly cared about me.
Dr. Bateman made sure I understood every procedure to the fullest and what was happening at each interval of IVF. He made sure to answer questions and took time and was never rushed. Even during my egg procedure when I was extremely scared and anxious he personally came in to calm me and made sure I knew I was in good hands and he personally checked on me after, not just sending in a nurse. I always felt he cared and wanted his patients to succeed with treatments. I never felt that this was just a job to him but he truly cared about me.
To trust in him and his experience. He is there to answer questions and to help.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Bonnie )
Stephanie and Bonnie were some of the most amazing people I have ever dealt with. They made you laugh and gave you hope when you felt there was none. They always helped you see the positive side and went above and beyond their jobs. They made sure I knew all about my meds and dosages and that I could call in anytime with questions. When I found out I was pregnant they were jumping up and down and crying with us. They even called to check on me during my pregnancy and after.
They are very quick to get you in to be seen, have many appointments open and have a friendly and truly caring staff. You are not a number to them but a person. After the first visit or two they learn your name and make conversation with you to make the process feel more human
Charlottesville

Dr. Bateman explained there are sometimes things inside that we cannot see without surgery. He felt we would be better candidates for IVF after 4 failed IUIs...laughed with me, allowed me to cry and comforted me as I struggled with the diagnosis "unexplained infertility"...He looked at every detail of my health record to explore why my husband and I were not having successful attempts. He told me several times throughout, "we are going to have a baby" (my husband and I).
Dr. Bateman was WONDERFUL! He provided me with verbal and written information at each visit re: my treatment plan and what to expect. He created a safe environment where I felt comfortable expressing myself and my concerns. He looked at every detail of my health record to explore why my husband and I were not having successful attempts. He told me several times throughout, "we are going to have a baby" (my husband and I).
Trust in his judgement and ability to provide the best care possible. He is dedicated to helping those in need achieve their dreams of having a child.
I never thought I would need to see a fertility specialist. My husband and I were married in 2014. After a year of marriage, we wanted to expand our family. I stopped using birth control measures, at that time. A year later, we were still not pregnant. I followed up with my Gynecologist, being unsure as to why. We received little insight. I self referred to the Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA. Of course, I was nervous and unsure of what to expect. Upon entering the clinic, you immediately feel a sense of peace and acceptance. From the nurses, to the office staff and Doctors. Everyone was caring, compassionate and on board with trying to find an answer and solution . Dr. Bateman laughed with me, allowed me to cry and comforted me as I struggled with the diagnosis "unexplained infertility".
I had 4 IUIs in total while receiving care at the fertility clinic. My first two were with Clomid, only. The third we tried Letrozole and lastly I used Letrozole and Injections. My body responded appropriately to all medications used. My husbands sperm count and motility was excellent, Unfortunately, there was no true explanation as to why we were not getting pregnant. Dr. Bateman explained there are sometimes things inside that we cannot see without surgery. He felt we would be better candidates for IVF after 4 failed IUIs.
The entire nursing team at the Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA is excellent! I called in countless times to ask questions regarding my treatment plan, medications and just to seek assurance about my situation. Every nurse handled my case with care, compassion and honesty. They made this entire situation much easier to handle.
I would refer anyone who needs fertility assistance to this center. I could not imagine going anywhere else. There was not one thing that I could find wrong with the care I received at this facility.
I had to pay for my IUIs, medications and ultrasounds out of pocket as VA is a state where fertility treatment is not covered under insurance plans. I paid close to $3000 for my care.
This does not apply to me.

4 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
[Dr.Bruce Bateman] has an endearingly dry sense of humor...My husband and I were dealing with male infertility primarily and wanted to know and learn absolutely everything we could about our situation. Dr. Bateman was great at explaining things, but doesn't sugarcoat - which we really appreciated. We wanted facts and to know straight up what our various options were. Dr. Bateman doesn't come across as especially warm, but each time I see him he smiles and gives my hand a squeeze.
4 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
My husband and I were dealing with male infertility primarily and wanted to know and learn absolutely everything we could about our situation. Dr. Bateman was great at explaining things, but doesn't sugarcoat - which we really appreciated. We wanted facts and to know straight up what our various options were. Dr. Bateman doesn't come across as especially warm, but each time I see him he smiles and gives my hand a squeeze. He also has an endearingly dry sense of humor.
Respect and trust his knowledge on the subject. I would often read blog posts of things and think I understood them - but let him explain the entire process and trust him.
I have never felt like a number at RMSCVA. The nurses are extremely approachable and friendly. After a few visits, most of them knew my name! There are 3 doctors at the practice, and depending on appointment time and day you may meet with any of them. At first I was concerned about not meeting with the same doctor each time, but I felt at ease with all 3. Plus, they were all very attentive and remembered where I left off with each visit.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Stephanie and Laura (IVF Nurse Coordinators) are wonderful and easy to communicate with. Throughout the IVF process, I've had much more contact with them on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. Stephanie always knows where I left off with treatment and can explain where we're going next
RMSCVA is a small clinic supporting Charlottesville and the Central Va region. There are three doctors (all are wonderful) and the nursing staff is top notch. I feel so lucky to have such a great clinic just miles from my home. Getting in for appointments is typically very easy and seamless. Wait times have never been more than 15 minutes. However, i think it is worth noting that you don't consistently see the same doctor at this clinic. I've had ultrasounds by all three doctors and IUIs by all three. As far as I can tell, it mostly depends on the day and time of your procedure.
Charlottesville

Dr Bateman is the best! He cares for every patient and really wants to help. He's candid but in a kind and compassionate way. He makes you feel like you are his only patient. On multiple times he returned my calls after business hours to explain things or just to calm my nerves.
Choose Dr Bateman - he will be honest and a support for you as you go down your path.
Dr Bateman truly cares. He explains everything simply and compassionately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie and Stephane )
The nurses are awesome at RMSCV. They don't make any question feel dumb and they are so friendly and understanding. They quickly return calls, know answers to questions sometimes before I can even ask! They know what I need and give comfort and knowledge.
I love the calm atmosphere they create in their exam rooms. There are images on the lights so you have something to look at. All the gowns are cloth and so are the sheets - so much better than the crinkly paper ones. In the bathroom they provide feminine products if you need them after a procedure and there's always nice lotions to make you feel "pretty." These little touches help me be more relaxed. The technology is up to date and they let you see all of your images. Building feels "new" and the decor is tasteful. Being connected to the hospital makes having additional testing easy.
We elected and we're accepted to the shared risk program. It's $20,000 and includes freezing embryos, all visits, retrieval, etc. This doesn't cover medication. It's a program where you bring home a baby or you get your money back.
We are going to do single embryo transfer because the odds of success are the same just the odds of twins increases.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
He [Dr. Bateman] personally called me a number of times during our IVF cycles. We had to stop our first cycle after I had a bad reaction to cetrotide and he called me and was compassionate. When we started our next cycle and had 1 embryo he called and congratulated me which I thought was really nice...I saw all the doctors at the clinic but Dr Bateman did my egg retrieval and implantation and I fully trusted him. He knew what he was doing and he had an excellent bedside manner. He didn't mess around but you could tell he really cares about his patients.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
If you have questions, ask them. Fertility dotors sometimes assume that you know what to expect because they do it everyday. At first I thought I wasn't getting enough information but it was just because I wasn't asking questions. Dr Bateman will spend time answering your questions and making you feel better about the process.
He personally called me a number of times during our IVF cycles. We had to stop our first cycle after I had a bad reaction to cetrotide and he called me and was compassionate. When we started our next cycle and had 1 embryo he called and congratulated me which I thought was really nice.
I used gonalF, cetrotide, pregnyl during my first IVF cycle. But I had a bad reaction to the cetrotide and we had to stop the cycle because my estrogen dropped significantly. The next cycle I used the same medications except I did Lupron shots twice a day instead of the cetrotide. That ended up working.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Bonnie)
You get passed around by the nurses because whoever is available at the time sees you or answers your calls. They did a good job throughout the process. I know they are juggling a lot of patients at a time so sometimes I felt like they may have not understood where I was in the process at times but I don't think that was their fault. It was more related to the amount of patients they see. They also knew my name and I developed a relationship with them during my course of treatment which was nice.
Wait times can be long in the office but that's kinda out of their control. The doctors and nurses are compassionate and they communicate well throughout the process. I wasn't a big fan of their financial person but we only had to deal with her a couple times.
Frozen egg retrieval and transfer was around $10,200. Not including medications.
I only had one embryo to transfer so this wasn't a topic of discussion.

4 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
In the end our outcome wasn't ideal, but I was appreciative of Dr. Bateman listening to me as a patient and honoring my request... The longer I was in the clinic and the more I interacted with him, the more I realized he was genuinely invested and truly hopeful for me as a person and potential mother... I appreciated him listening to my needs and comfort level.
4 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
I would recommend Dr. Bateman over again. He started the fertility clinic in Charlottesville and has years of experience under his belt. He was always very knowledgable and helpful when I asked questions. I also appreciated his understanding in one of our meetings when discussing all types of interventions during IVF (ICSI, assisted hatching). My husband and I were part of the shared risk program and as a result it required us to comply with clinical recommendations. Dr. Bateman and I had a discussion about assisted hatching, pros/cons. I told Dr. Bateman I wanted minimal intervention and he understood my wishes and allowed me to choose that for our second cycle of IVF despite the recommendation to proceed with assisted hatching. I appreciated him listening to my needs and comfort level. I did proceed to get pregnant, but miscarried in the first trimester. In the end our outcome wasn't ideal, but I was appreciative of Dr. Bateman listening to me as a patient and honoring my request.
Be engaged in the process and take ownership and ask lots of questions until you understand the process, especially the medication! It is a lot to take in and keep straight and you deserve to understand everything along the way.
Dr. Bateman has a kind and gentle bedside manner. In the very beginning, I wasn't necessarily a fan. I felt he was more "old school" in his bedside manner, more hands off. However, the longer I was in the clinic and the more I interacted with him, the more I realized he was genuinely invested and truly hopeful for me as a person and potential mother. I miscarried 3 times and Dr. Bateman delivered that news to me 2 of the 3 times. He was so compassionate, to the point that I felt he was tearing up telling me the news during my last miscarriage. The clinic is very small and no one is made to feel like they are a number. The physicians and the nurses are so nice and really do want the best for you as a patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix and Bonnie)
The nursing staff care about you as a person. They are all so kind and compassionate. They are always willing to answer questions and give you a hug when you need it. There were several times I cried in the office and they were so kind and understanding. They were always waiting with a hug. The clinic is small so no one feels like a number. The nurses were joyful when I was pregnant and sad when I miscarried. I truly felt they were engaged in my care and wanted and hoped for the best.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
The monitoring appointments were never an issue for me. They were always very accommodating to meet my needs. I never had a conflict. Any lab work had to be completed by 2pm because of their lab. So I could not come in the afternoon for lab work. However, that wasn't an issue for me but I could see that being a problem for some. Ultrasound appointments they try and schedule first thing at 8am when they open so I could get in and out. If I couldn't come in the morning, they were always able to accommodate me when I could come. I have no complaints with the scheduling here.

2012 - 2013
Dr. Bateman is a true professional in every sense of the word. He deeply understands the challenges (mental, physical, emotional) that go along with infertility treatment for couples. We felt informed and cared for at every step of the way.... Dr. Bateman specifically has a heartwarming and endearing quality which only added to our experience and instilled our confidence in him with our most precious gifts.... After first pregnancy and deciding for additional children, single vitrified embryos used for transfer. Only on first fresh cycle were 2 embryos implanted resulting in single implantation.
2012 - 2013
Let's be honest, infertility is one of the hardest things a young couple can go through. It can have so many ripple effects. Infertility can make one feel very alone. Dr. Bateman and his staff never let us feel alone. We felt we had someone in our corner the entire way and we were all working toward our goal of having a family. I cannot say enough good things about this state of the art facility and their incredible team members. Dr. Bateman specifically has a heartwarming and endearing quality which only added to our experience and instilled our confidence in him with our most precious gifts.
Listen and trust your doctor. At the end of the day, what will be will be and you cannot change it. This center has your best interests at heart. This condition (infertility) will cause you to question everything but it is relieving to trust in someone who shows as much compassion and care as Dr. Bateman and his staff.
Dr. Bateman is a true professional in every sense of the word. He deeply understands the challenges (mental, physical, emotional) that go along with infertility treatment for couples. We felt informed and cared for at every step of the way. The staff was always available to address concerns or answer questions. We never felt alone. We are very thankful for each and every one of their team members.
Blood work to check eggs, blood work to check male health as well Check uterus/tube (hysterosalpingogram) Sperm specimen Birth control for 10 days to regulate and "control" the cycle Lupron/FSH/Gonal-F Follistim or Menopur. (injections to belly) for ovary stimulation Daily ultrasounds at clinic around ovulation to localize peak egg period Egg retrieval (21 eggs received) Ferilization (7 embros) Day 5 embro development (2 embryos implanted from fresh cycle) Embryo implantation (first time we did 2 from fresh cycle - 1 implanted resulting in 1 single birth; thereafter only 1 embryo used for vitrified embryos due to a reported higher success of implantation. Each time resulting in successful singl implant) Estrogen supplementation (oral meds) Progesterone shots continued up to 14 weeks gestation (injections to backside) Blood test 2 weeks - Beta levels, Recheck 1 wk for doubling Ultrasound at 7 weeks, and again at 9 weeks Release care to local OBGYN for pregnancy monitoring
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix RN)
Stephanie is phenomenal. She connects on a personal level with her patients and is extremely organized. She cares for her patients. She answered all questions and made herself available around the clock to calm any concerns. We are so thankful to have had her coordinate this entire process. She is wonderful.
This is a state of the art facility. After exhausting many options of fertility treatment, we went to the UVA Reproductive Center of Virginia (about 3 hours from home) and we were not disappointed. Even needing daily appointments at time never felt like a burden driving back and forth because it was truly worth it.
$20,000 shared risk program. We would get money back if it did not work after 3 fresh cycles. Approximately $5,000 additional cost of medications.
Charlottesville

Dr.Bateman is very straight forward and caring doctor. He is honest on what his practice can do and what they can’t. He takes time to explain everything and making sure his patients understand everything. During my visits my husband and I had numerous questions about our test results and recurrent miscarriages. Dr. Bateman patiently explained everything in details...Dr.Bateman is always available to answer questions, and very flexible with your schedule.
Dr. Bateman is an honest doctor who tells you everything without sugar coating. I appreciated that he explained in detail our options, risks and course of treatment. Dr.Bateman is always available to answer questions, and very flexible with your schedule.
Be prepared to hear the truth no matter how upsetting it can be and he is not going to sugar coat it.
We saw Dr. Bateman for recurrent miscarriages. We did numerous tests.
Nurses at the clinic are amazing. They always return phone calls on the same day as long as you call before 4pm. They are great at follow up and getting you scheduled. Very fast and efficient
I feel like clinic is doing a great job. They try to maintain affordable prices for those whose insurance don’t cover ivf. They always try to work with your schedule. I cannot recall any weaknesses in my experience. Our experience with the clinic was great
I had to pay $40 specialist copay. Everything else was covered by my insurance
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?

2007 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
When I was told that I only had two eggs to retrieve, Dr. Bateman was realistic with his expectations but also gave me hope with stories of women who only needed one egg to conceive. His bedside manner and reassurance was very comforting. He held my hand when I was upset and explained everything in detail. He is an older doctor so I think that it is easy to stereotype, but he certainly knows what he is doing.
2007 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Ask lots of questions, whatever they may be or how silly they seem.
He was realistic, down to earth and very sensitive to my needs.
The 9 IUIs that I tried between 2007-2010 included clomid and injections. These resulted in one chemical pregnancy and one ectopic pregnancy. Unfortunately, the ectopic came after we had our best results with 5 potential eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie and Stephanie )
The nursing staff are very kind, however in my most recent IVF attempts it was hard to get hold of them through email. Once Bonnie retired, Stephanie was obviously overwhelmed, but I felt this impacted my care.
The clinic is very clean, neat and cheery. The office manager is a wonderful lady and easy to work with. They are very willing to work with your schedule and make sure appointment times will work for each patient.
15,000, but additional 25,000 with IVF after that
We did not get this far.
Charlottesville

He [Dr Bateman] certainly is an excellent doctor, but it wasn't until after I'd already undergone 2 IUI cycles that we did the testing to determine my AMH (ovarian reserve) is low. That, coupled with my partner's male factor, meant IUIs were likely never going to be effective for us.
Dr. Bateman takes a conservative approach. We had to ask for additional interventions in order to have a more aggressive treatment plan.
I don't feel like Dr. Bateman took the time to diagnose our issues/ review our past medical history. He certainly is an excellent doctor, but it wasn't until after I'd already undergone 2 IUI cycles that we did the testing to determine my AMH (ovarian reserve) is low. That, coupled with my partner's male factor, meant IUIs were likely never going to be effective for us. I felt like if RMSCVA took the time to do additionally tests and fully review my partner's sperm analysis, we would not have wasted time or funds on IUI.
I did 2 cycles of Letrozole/Femara combined with IUI. I added a trigger shot. RMSCVA doesn't necessarily do ultrasound monitoring during IUI cycle (they ask you to do OPKs at home). I asked RMSCVA to add two things which they didn't recommend for me: 1) mid-cycle monitoring because I didn't want to waste a cycle by missing ovulation, and 2) a trigger shot in order to better time IUI. First cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy and second cycle was a negative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Brittany)
Brittany - my coordinator for IUI -- was excellent!
Small RE in Charlottesville. They do not have a separate waiting room for people who bring children, so please be aware.

2 Eggs Frozen
[Dr. Bateman's] sort of quiet whereas I’m chatty. So that’s a little awkward at times. But he’s warm and friendly and I really feel like he’s “in my corner” and wants this to go well. We’ve only done 1 cycle and not many eggs were retrieved or frozen unfortunately. I’m eager to consult with him to see if he wants to change protocols for the next round or.not...He won’t overwhelm you with information but will gladly answer your questions...
2 Eggs Frozen
He’s sort of quiet whereas I’m chatty. So that’s a little awkward at times. But he’s warm and friendly and I really feel like he’s “in my corner” and wants this to go well. We’ve only done 1 cycle and not many eggs were retrieved or frozen unfortunately. I’m eager to consult with him to see if he wants to change protocols for the next round or.not. My friends gave me glowing reviews of him before I met him, which was very encouraging.
Be sure to ask all your questions. He won’t overwhelm you with information but will gladly answer your questions.
He was just kind and talked to me. He jokes and has a positive attitude.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Tara )
Very organized and very nice. They call back quickly and are so wonderful about answering my many questions.
They are so incredibly efficient. I’m in and out very quickly, especially for the daily checkups during stim. It’s. 15 minute affair for ultrasound and bloodwork. And they schedule all my weekend appointments and procedures happily.
I’m doing the EggSafe30 program which is $14,000 for earlier or 30 eggs frozen or 5 cycles. That doesn’t include medicine which is about $2500-3000 per cycle so far.

PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr Bateman was thorough and explained things to us when we got to see him. After our first visit i usually saw a different doctor for each procedure. It would be nice to stick with one through the whole process when possible...I was very dissapointed when we found out our last IUI attempt didn't work...After I got myself together I called and made an appointment to discuss our next steps and Dr Bateman was great. I just feel like they could have checked in on me when they didn't hear from me after 2 months.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Ask as many questions as you can because he may not cover everything.
I was very dissapointed when we found out our last IUI attempt didn't work. I was supposed to call the clinic when I started my period but was so upset and didn't know what to do next that I didn't call and I never heard anything from the clinic to check in on me. This was discouraging making me feel like they didn't care. After I got myself together I called and made an appointment to discuss our next steps and Dr Bateman was great. I just feel like they could have checked in on me when they didn't hear from me after 2 months.
I believe the front desk staff could be more compassionate and understanding on the phone and in person. It is very difficult to get someone on the phone and when steps in the process are so timely it's frustrating not being able to get in contact with someone.
We are just getting ready to start IVF.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr Bateman is a pleasure to work with, showing a genuine concern for our desire to have a family....The only downside is he no longer performs endometriosis surgery, therefore I need to see another physician in the office. But I feel quite confident I'm receiving the best care. Whenever I've seen him, he makes sure I know what action we're taking and the next steps. He's very thorough and takes the time to explain everything.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are no wrong questions, and he takes the time to walk you through the process.
I'm currently seeing Dr Bateman. He has adjusted, increased my clomid dose, and we are planning to utilize IUI soon. Before continuing treatment, I will see another physician in the practice to have surgery for endometriosis.
Thus far I've seen a couple different nurses in office. They are compassionate and caring, easy to reach via phone whenever questions arose.
The office is quiet, and private. It has a cozy feel. The only downside is it can be hard to find as its located in an area with several outpatient offices and buildings. However, there is amble parking due to its location.
Charlottesville

He was very open to answering questions and discussing procedure and medications in detail. He was realistic about the possible outcome of procedure. We were able to get appointments in a reasonable amount of time. He was very thorough while remaining compassionate. We look forward to continuing to work with Dr. Bateman.... [Protocols] Clomid cycle day 5-9 and IUI... Clinic has three doctors so if you want timely appointments you may not see the same doctor each visit.
Come prepared with your questions
He was very attentive and available to answer questions
Clomid cycle day 5-9 and IUI
The nurses were very kind and compassionate
Clinic has three doctors so if you want timely appointments you may not see the same doctor each visit. We have seen all three and all have been excellent. The clinic is very clean and comfortable but small enough that you don’t feel like you are just a number
$865 IUI procedure plus tests and visits leading up to visit $400 HSG test $319 lab work
Charlottesville
He [Dr. Bateman] really cares for his patients even if he is very blunt to the point.... He has many years of experience. He can be very facts first which can be offputting at times but he is also sentimental and daring. He has been there to whip away my tears and hold my hand. Even though we have had no success yet we are very hopeful!... Started right away with clomid 50mg, then 100mg, then 150 mg, then 200 mg with trigger shot
He is like a friendly grandpa rooting for you. He has many years of experience. He can be very facts first which can be offputting at times but he is also sentimental and daring. He has been there to whip away my tears and hold my hand. Even though we have had no success yet we are very hopeful!
Be prepared to get a lot of information that you may not understand
He really cares for his patients even if he is very blunt to the point.
Monica has s the sweetest nurse on the planet. They all take time to call back for follow up questions after hours.
They are very educated in what they do but often you don't get a choice in doctors. This makes you feel like a number at times. They have always cared for mine and my husbands concerns and supported us in the journey.
The costs have been very reasonable.
Charlottesville

No questions were asked that I didn't offer and no suggestions were made besides everything I could look up on Google. He just went through bloodwork, HSG, drugs, sperm sample. Nothing felt specific to me. He would come in and say he read the chart and knows all about everything each visit. I had to call back every month to ask the nurse what the next step was.
Do your own research and bring lots of questions because extra information will not be offered to you.
I felt like he just went through a checklist on his way to IVF and learned nothing about me personally (besides bloodwork).
They responded to messages appropriately, answered the questions, and showed compassion with setbacks.
Charlottesville

Dr Bateman is very dry. He doesn't elaborate on much. I did trust his experience. They take a very conservative approach so I wouldn't recommend to anyone who is higher risk...Make sure to ask what their protocol is and why they only use the same one for different cycles.
Investor
The Dr's and Nurses are some of the kindest I have come across.
The nurses were all very compassionate, even while I went there as a satellite patient. They really take time to help u understand the medications and how the injections work.