Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota

Doctor, Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of Minnesota
ResidencyU. of Minnesota
FellowshipU. of Minnesota
2828 Chicago Ave. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55407
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Bruce Campbell to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota to a friend?
Anovulation, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
he [Dr. Campbell] admitted when he didn't know why things weren't working! He was willing to be as aggressive with treatment as we wanted. And I think he does truly care about his patients... At consults, he took the time to answer questions and address concerns and was ready to adjust treatment plans when things weren't working... He is very busy and wait times for consults and cycle starts can run 3+ months.
Anovulation, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
I think Dr. Campbell is a good doctor. At consults, he took the time to answer questions and address concerns and was ready to adjust treatment plans when things weren't working. And, he admitted when he didn't know why things weren't working! He was willing to be as aggressive with treatment as we wanted. And I think he does truly care about his patients. After our 2nd cycle with nothing to transfer, I thanked him when leaving our consult. He stopped and looked at me with sincere compassion and said, "don't thank me, I haven't gotten you pregnant yet. You can thank me when I do".
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Be patient! He is very busy and wait times for consults and cycle starts can run 3+ months.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Only contact with Dr. Campbell was during office consults (either prior or post treatment cycle) and during some testing (SIS, trial transfer). He did call to personally deliver PGS testing results (2 of 3 cycles) and was willing to consult with me over the phone after failed cycles to answer immediate questions. All other contact is with nursing staff. I do wish I would have had more contact with Dr. Campbell, but am appreciative that he did not rush during consults, etc.
Describe the protocols Bruce Campbell used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota and their degree of success.
Cycle 1 - long Lupron, menopur, Gonal-f. All embryos arrested before reaching blastocyst stage. Cycle 2- menopur, Gonal-f, ganirelix. Switched to antagonist to see if it would make a difference with egg quality. 2 embryos reached blastocyst stage and were PGS tested abnormal. Cycle 3 - menopur, Follistim, ganirelix, HGH, prednisone, testosterone cream. One embryo reached blastocyst stage and was PGS tested normal.
The nursing staff seems very busy and,at times, can seem annoyed with questions, etc. Some of them seem guarded with your medical information - for instance, not willing to give up information regarding estradiol levels and follicle counts (I was told on more than one occasion, "you don't need to worry about it."). It is frustrating that you may not see the same nurse more than once in s treatment cycle.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Very busy. Wait times for consults or cycle starts are usually 3+ months. However, all the doctors I've had contact with have been great and many of the nurses are too. They run a tight schedule - appointments for ultrasounds and blood draws are usually right on time and you'll be in and out in no time.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota?
Minneapolis
He [Dr. Campbell] was friendly and had good bedside manner. We trusted him as a doctor....until we had two back to back transfer failures of PGS normal embryos and he didn't want to make any changes to our protocol. Just wanted to keep doing the same thing. I was the one who had to do all the research on things to try and bring ideas to him, most of which he shot down and seemed unwilling to do...
He was friendly and had good bedside manner. We trusted him as a doctor....until we had two back to back transfer failures of PGS normal embryos and he didn't want to make any changes to our protocol. Just wanted to keep doing the same thing. I was the one who had to do all the research on things to try and bring ideas to him, most of which he shot down and seemed unwilling to do.
This clinic and doctor are very standardized - they put every patient on the same protocol and rarely change it, even if it's not working. If that's the situation you want to be in, by all means go to this clinic and doctor.
Long wait times to get on their schedule for retrieval, transfer, etc. They obviously had a much bigger patient load then can appropriately carry. Not a single person there from receptionists, doctors, and nurses ever remembered your name, despite going there nearly daily at some points in the retrieval cycle. Not a single person ever asked me how I was doing with everything and their attitude was generally get em in and get em out.
For egg retrieval: priming with birth control pills, then lupron, then stim with menopur and gonal f. No cetrotide/ganirelix. HCG trigger. For frozen transfer: birth control pills, then lupron, then prepare with estrace pills (worked up to 2mg three times a day), PIO injections after lining check. Baby aspirin.
The only strength I can think of is timely responses to messages/voice mails, and a few of them showed compassion and caring. Most of them seemed to just want to get your visit/phone call/etc. over with so that they could get to the next person.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This clinic puts everyone on birth control pills for both retrieval and transfers, in order to control your body to fit their schedule. For me, and for many other women, birth control pills wreak havoc on our emotional well being. So you will be an emotional mess while you wait two months on your birth control pills so you can fit into their schedule.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Campbell at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
28k not including meds.
Minneapolis
He [Dr. Bruce Campbell] was kind, but not involved in ultrasound visits, and did not perform either my retrieval or transfer. I assume that he was involved in med changes behind the scenes during stims. After our IVF cycle resulted in a twin MC/ectopic pregnancy, he was in contact more frequently, and squeezed us in between retrievals so that he could do 2 last-minute ultrasounds to try to find the second embryo (after I had miscarried the first). He was kind and empathetic without being sappy; he told us what to expect if it was found to be an ectopic which is what we needed.
He was kind, but not involved in ultrasound visits, and did not perform either my retrieval or transfer. I assume that he was involved in med changes behind the scenes during stims. After our IVF cycle resulted in a twin MC/ectopic pregnancy, he was in contact more frequently, and squeezed us in between retrievals so that he could do 2 last-minute ultrasounds to try to find the second embryo (after I had miscarried the first). He was kind and empathetic without being sappy; he told us what to expect if it was found to be an ectopic which is what we needed.
Don't expect to see him during stims for either IUI or IVF. The doctors at this clinic monitor behind the scenes and have a rotating schedule for retrievals & transfers. There is very little contact with the actual doctor during a cycle.
We had two consults with Dr. Campbell: one for the clinic & our first IUI there, then another pre-IVF meeting, with a year between. During those meetings, it was very much stats, numbers, step-by-step process for the treatment, nothing special or unique to us. I don't know that I really expected it to be tailored though, since they hadn't done the CD3 BW to determine treatment protocol at the times we met with him. After our IVF cycle, I had a twin MC/ectopic pregnancy. During that time, when I spoke with Dr. Campbell he was very kind and made me feel treated as a person. With that said, he usually calls to deliver IVF results, but was out of the office that day and a nurse called instead, which made me feel like a number.
Antagonist protocol: 2 vials Menopur daily + 150 Follistim daily for maybe 10 days, + Ganirelex for 6 days of that. HCG trigger. Our diagnosis is unexplained infertility; my levels are all good but borderline not good. The high levels of stims are due to that. He said at our WTF meeting that he would change to a Lupron cycle if we were to do another round of IVF, in hopes that we would get more blasts. (8 of 9 mature fertilized, but only 2 made it to blast.)
I saw different nurses at most appointments. They were fine. Not overly compassionate, but generally not cold. (Although the nurse who called with my IVF beta results could use a lesson in compassion, rather than saying "you're pregnant", then hedging on saying anything about the low level other than "well it's not good, you'll just have to come back.") The nurses called when they said they would to give me plans for the next day of stims, scheduling was good, etc.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic has higher rates of IVF success, which is a strength that outweighs most weaknesses. However they see a lot of patients, which can lead to a bit longer waits for ultrasound appts. There are multiple REs and they have a calendar of who does retrievals and transfers, which rotates every 10 days or so. As a result, your RE may not do either retrieval or transfer.
$10,475 for IVF cycle, plus meds. Meds were estimated at $3,000 for me based on CD3 BW results but ended up closer to $5,000.
Minneapolis
We decided to move forward with IUI after we were given our options. He [Dr. Bruce Campbell] suggested that since insurance covered up to 6 cycles and we weren't really sure what was causing the infertility that would be a good place to start. He did share the percentages vs that of IVF. Each cycle he would make sure I was ovulating and that everything was ready for the IUI.
Dr. Campbell was kind and took my input into consideration when making the treatment plan. He seemed very knowledgeable and shared the pros and cons of each treatment plan. I would recommend him to other people looking for a doctor.
He will work with you and lets you make decisions about your treatment plan. He will give suggestions but overall he works with you and makes you feel like it's a team effort.
Dr. Campbell was very kind and comforting while explaining the process of our treatments. He was always open to answering questions.
We decided to move forward with IUI after we were given our options. He suggested that since insurance covered up to 6 cycles and we weren't really sure what was causing the infertility that would be a good place to start. He did share the percentages vs that of IVF. Each cycle he would make sure I was ovulating and that everything was ready for the IUI.
The nurses were great. They would always find out an answer to my questions if they didn't know and would share any updates with my doctor.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The clinic was welcoming and very organized. They are able to accommodate the important timing that comes with infertility. The staff often went out of their way to help if there was a problem with insurance or a prescription.
Until I hit my deductible I paid for everything out of pocket.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Very communicative and compassionate. I don’t trust people easily and he [Dr. Campbell] made me feel more at ease. I felt more disappointed with the results than expected. But that comes with the territory. He seemed incredibly knowledgeable and kept me informed every step along the way.... From the moment I called to make my first appointment, to checking out from my last appointment, people always took the time to listen and answer all of my questions.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Very communicative and compassionate. I don’t trust people easily and he made me feel more at ease. I felt more disappointed with the results than expected. But that comes with the territory. He seemed incredibly knowledgeable and kept me informed every step along the way.
Take a little more time with your patient. Or try not to make it so obvious that you have a busy schedule. Be fully present with the patient and ask more than once if they have questions before ending the appt.
From the moment I called to make my first appointment, to checking out from my last appointment, people always took the time to listen and answer all of my questions. They seemed to care about how I was feeling while I was there and called to check up on me afterwards.
The nursing staff was so knowledgeable and cared to go into great details on the risks of every procedure. They made sure that I was aware of my options at every step of the process. I didn't have any negative feelings about the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The were very good at preparing me for the first visit. And were also very clear about costs up front. They answered any and all of my questions quickly. They were also very responsive and great about getting me in quickly for the first appointment.
Around $25K including testing
St. Paul
...Dr. Campbell personally returned my phone call in order to set up the first appointments. I also appreciated that he came into the waiting area on our first visit...I thought Dr. Campbell was an excellent doctor. He explained the process thoroughly so I knew what to expect at each step. He was not overly optimistic about our chances, but I understand that there is a lot of failure in IVF and he didn't want to get our hopes up. I thought he was very kind given our circumstances...
I had a very short time frame in which to complete the cycle of treatment due to a cancer diagnosis three years previously. We had to put off a pregnancy for a couple of years. Unfortunately, we didn't conceive naturally quickly enough so we had to use the IVF route. Once we decided to go forward with IVF, Dr. Campbell personally returned my phone call in order to set up the first appointments. I also appreciated that he came into the waiting area on our first visit.
I thought the nursing staff was excellent. They were clearly well trained and compassionate. Very professional and friendly.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
This is an excellent fertility clinic. The staff is well-trained but busy. They sometimes triple-book appointments, so they'll take the person who signs in first. Get there early. I never had to wait very long for my appointments.
11,000 for fertility treatment, I think....
Minneapolis
I saw him [Dr Campbell] for three appointments. The initial consultation and two ultrasound ch do ups on baby's heartbeat. I felt like a number and while I enjoyed meeting with him, there was never any other communication....He's very knowledgeable but very important and busy and the nurses will do most of the communicating. Plus, he was not present for egg retrieval or transfer.
I saw him for three appointments. The initial consultation and two ultrasound ch do ups on baby's heartbeat. I felt like a number and while I enjoyed meeting with him, there was never any other communication.
There was the initial ,setting where he seemed very genuine and kind but from then on there was little communication until we got to the ultrasounds of seeing our baby.
Had 11 eggs, 8 fertilized, 4 made it to day 5 biopsy and testing. 1 of the 4 embryos were normal after PGS testing. We transferred and have a wonderful 4 month old.
There was no consistency among nurses. I had a different one every time I came in. Some were great and some not as friendly.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
Nice looking, downtown so traffic is an issue, but this clinic has the best data with the most success. They are doing something right. Their embryologist were successful with our embryo.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Campbell seems very old school. He likes to use the standard protocols, instead of adjusting them to your case. If you are a cookie cutter fertility patient he'd be just fine for you. However if you are a more complex case, I would look elsewhere...After multiple iuis and 4 fresh IVF cycles, if I passed him on the street he probably wouldn't even recognize me, definitely wouldn't know my name. Never even called after our 4th failed IVF and 2nd miscarriage.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Do your research, have multiple consults with different RE's at any of the MN clinics. Make sure you can easily say you think Dr. Campbell will be the best fit for you.
#1 Long Lupron - BFN. #2 Antagonist -BFN Microdose Lupron Flare - Chemical. #4 - started off as an iui with injectables, we made the call to switch it to an IVF. Best production we had as I was not on bcps for priming, which was used every other cycle at Dr. Campbell's insistence. This cycle resulted in a blighted ovum.
Some of the nurses were very nice, a couple were not. The clinic is a well oiled machine, I'll give them that.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
It was a well oiled machine, however sometime you did have a pretty long wait, but not too many times.
2007 - 2012
Bruce Campbell has extensive knowledge and experience very happy to work with him as a patient. He kept our interest in mind on the journey. He met with us to discuss our options and alternatives always helping us to feel welcome and listened to throughout the process. He took the time to meet with us several times and made personal calls to express good news to us!
2007 - 2012
Trust in his ability to know the right choices.
Very supportive and helpful.
Due to age he provided multiple embryos - always very cautious and checked with me on concerns.
They varied by there level of experience some were more helpful than others.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
No complaints good location. I live nearby so it was quite convenient. I was happy with my care overall. I had many blood tests and many of the nurses were from a temp group at times - it was nice to see the regulars. The front door staff was helpful. Perhaps have a larger waiting room for more space. Overall very satisfied since the results were quality and they always took time to discuss all the alternatives.
Costly.
Describe Bruce Campbell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine of Minnesota.
The choice was for multiple due to my age.