5.9

Johns Hopkins

Bruce Tjaden works at

9300 East 29th St
Wichita, KS 67226

He [Dr. Bruce Tjaden] was very kind when my husband and I met him at the initial consult. However, we have not seen or heard from him since that initial consult...We are on our third round of IUI and haven’t had any change in our treatment protocol...I would advise patients to have questions ready when the initial consult because you won’t see him after this!...No follow up from doctors or staff following treatment unless I called...
[Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas] don’t offer IVF and you have to travel to Kansas City if you want to pursue this option, they don’t have the best hours which makes it difficult to work around my schedule and this adds additional stress, and you are frequently thrown around to different nurses who don’t know your back story and then give conflicting information...No follow up from doctors or staff following treatment unless I called...
How was your experience with Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
He was very kind when my husband and I met him at the initial consult. However, we have not seen or heard from him since that initial consult. Perhaps this is normal. Not really sure! We are on our third round of IUI and haven’t had any change in our treatment protocol - thought this was maybe odd and that meds could be adjusted to help.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Haven’t seen doctor since initial consult. No follow up from doctors or staff following treatment unless I called.
Describe the protocols Bruce Tjaden used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas and their degree of success.
We have done IUI with femara and a trigger shot each time. We have yet to become pregnant. Rational for IUI was that the sperm would be placed directly into the uterus and increase changes of pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
We have seen a few different nurses. One in particular, named Mary, has been very kind and explains things very well. The others have been so quick that I don’t even remember their names.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Strengths are that it’s local which helps reduce time missed from work. Weakness are that they don’t offer IVF and you have to travel to Kansas City if you want to pursue this option, they don’t have the best hours which makes it difficult to work around my schedule and this adds additional stress, and you are frequently thrown around to different nurses who don’t know your back story and then give conflicting information.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Each round of IUI has cost about $1200 including meds. Initial bloodwork cost $750.
Describe Bruce Tjaden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
I had a nurse ask me if I had an internal ultrasound during the first couple days of my period as this is standard every other cycle - it was my 3rd cycle and I hadn’t had one any cycle. Also, had another nurse asked me if my femara had been increased to 3 pills instead of two this round as this would be standard after 2 failed cycles but again this was not done.
Wichita

I did not feel like he [Dr. Tjaden] took the time to understand my specific situation. He would answer calls during our consult.... I had an uncommon situation and felt like he was not willing to understand it. The nurses were having a difficult time completing the IUI and went to get him to help. He walked into the room with my husband and I, gave us no greeting, no hello. Simply began insanely negatively. "I don't think this is going to work, I don't think I will be able to make this work" etc etc.
The clinic [Ctr for Repro Med in KS] did well at getting back to your calls when you needed to get in for a sonogram or when you started your cycle and needed follow ups scheduled. However, I did have paperwork issues. I asked for my records to be sent to me so I would have my lab results etc and they sent me someone else's.... I enjoyed most of the nursing staff. They seemed curious about your well being and doing what would be best for our situation. I felt comfortable talking to them about what I wanted.
I had an uncommon situation and felt like he was not willing to understand it. The nurses were having a difficult time completing the IUI and went to get him to help. He walked into the room with my husband and I, gave us no greeting, no hello. Simply began insanely negatively. "I don't think this is going to work, I don't think I will be able to make this work" etc etc. He finished and left the room. I honestly felt like he very well may have not gotten it and gave up. We will never know. That bedside manor made me seek another Dr. I understand that my situation is tricky, but at least act like you are willing to do the necessary to help your patients.
I have had many friends go to him and had an enjoyable experience. I think if you have a difficult situation that he may not know about, he will more than likely not put in the effort to understand.
I did not feel like he took the time to understand my specific situation. He would answer calls during our consult.
In the beginning he simply put me on a dose of Femara and planned on doing no follow up. No sonograms, no labs, nothing. I wanted to ensure I was actually getting follicle growth before I wasted money on an IUI. I had to contact the nurses and ask for a more guided cycle. Otherwise we would not have known if the meds were even working.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The clinic did well at getting back to your calls when you needed to get in for a sonogram or when you started your cycle and needed follow ups scheduled. However, I did have paperwork issues. I asked for my records to be sent to me so I would have my lab results etc and they sent me someone else's.
The cost of an IUI was $500 My insurance covered sonograms so I am unsure of those costs.
What specific things went wrong at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
2014 - 2015, Unknown Success
He [Bruce Tjaden] appeared to be down to earth & it wasn't his way or no way. He very much left our approach up to us & what we felt was best. He gave us all our options & let us choose what we all thought would be best at this time to proceed. He didn't appear to be in a hurry & was there to answer any questions we had or could think of.
They [staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas] have all been friendly & have no problems answering my questions. They are pretty quick to respond after labs & such. As previously mentioned so far, the only nurse that didn't make me feel good about our conversation was the IVF nurse who was snippy & I believe tried to shy us away from IVF.
He appeared to be down to earth & it wasn't his way or no way. He very much left our approach up to us & what we felt was best. I don't feel like they explained what will happen next. For example: they explained the meds which I was familiar with from research & experience of taking similar medications before. I don't think they explained what we do IF we were to get pregnant (like do I call my OBGYN & then they take care of me from here on out, or if I called them & they follow me for some many weeks, when do we increase the medication, etc.). This left some confusion. The only other issue I have had, is we did our last IUI on CD21 due to egg size/quality/uterine lining etc. I called to see if this was okay, or if should up the dose. The IVF nurse was a little snippy on the phone telling me "3 pills/day is our max dose." Okay thats fine, so do we need to stay on the 2 pills/day I am currently taking or should we go up? I didn't find out until my next appt that she had talked to the doctor & he agreed to up my dose. When I mentioned getting an IVF consult, she told me that it was expensive between X-X $ amount & that it didn't include the shots, which, "can get pretty expensive!" She also reminded me that payment needs to be paid upfront. I felt like she was short with me & slightly discouraging me from going towards IVF at this point. I don't feel like its a waste of anybody's time to discuss IVF since that is our next step!
Ask lots of questions!! How many rounds of this medication do you usually do, if I ovulate late 20-30's or later, do we up my medication dose/change my medication all together, or what is the protocol for that. If/when we get pregnant, do I contact your office or my OBGYN. These are just some basic questions I would ask that were never explained to me.
I feel as though I was human because when he sat down to talk to us it was at an even level. I didn't feel as he was the doctor & we were going to have to do XYZ. He gave us all our options & let us choose what we all thought would be best at this time to proceed. He didn't appear to be in a hurry & was there to answer any questions we had or could think of.
They have all been friendly & have no problems answering my questions. They are pretty quick to respond after labs & such. As previously mentioned so far, the only nurse that didn't make me feel good about our conversation was the IVF nurse who was snippy & I believe tried to shy us away from IVF.