5.9

Johns Hopkins

Bruce Tjaden works at

9300 East 29th St
Wichita, KS 67226

He [Dr. Tjaden] was very direct with expectations. Felt that he cared about outcome. He was straight forward and did not give false hope. He gave advice during first cycle, but left the choice to continue to us...First cycle was typical, low initial levels during bloodwork so medications increased. Low follicle counts led to suggestions of cancelling cycle, but ultimate decision was left to us. Proceeded with retrieval that resulted 7 eggs, but only one embryo made it to transfer.
The main desk [staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine] was easy to get ahold of, finance department helped with any issues during billing whether insurance for meds or flexible spending account, everyone in the office remembered me every visit, i wasn’t treated like just a number...[nurses are]Easy to communicate with, thorough on process during every step, compassionate, cared about outcome
How was your experience with Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
He was very direct with expectations. Felt that he cared about outcome. He was straight forward and did not give false hope. He gave advice during first cycle, but left the choice to continue to us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
He knows what he is doing. You have no control over how your body will respond.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas?
Cared about my success, did not respond well during injections but allowed me to make the choice to continue during the first cycle.
Describe the protocols Bruce Tjaden used in your cycles at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas and their degree of success.
First cycle was typical, low initial levels during bloodwork so medications increased. Low follicle counts led to suggestions of cancelling cycle, but ultimate decision was left to us. Proceeded with retrieval that resulted 7 eggs, but only one embryo made it to transfer. First cycle ended with an initial negative pregnancy test. Second cycle was started with Lupron micro dose protocol followed by higher initial doses of injections. Produced even less follicles. Went to retrieval with 5 follicles, 4 eggs retrieved. Due to COVID-19, we were far enough along in treatment to continue to retrieval, but all embryos would be frozen. Currently have 2 frozen day 5 embryos awaiting transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Megan)
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
The main desk was easy to get ahold of, finance department helped with any issues during billing whether insurance for meds or flexible spending account, everyone in the office remembered me every visit, i wasn’t treated like just a number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Tjaden at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
$4000
Describe Bruce Tjaden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
No comments, only does single embryo transfer due to age.
IUI With Other Docs
He [Dr. Tjaden] is blunt and very serious. If you want warm fuzzies, he isn’t the doctor for you. He made me somewhat uncomfortable at first because he was so serious and i find comfort in jokes and laughter...He seems very competent and I trust his experience...I had 24 eggs removed so my body responded well. After the retrieval it took another two months before the transfer... We did not get our happy ending and our going through the second transfer, same protocol.
They [staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas] take time, called me personally, gave me a phone number I could call 24/7, always willing to answer my millions of questions without seeming annoyed or impatient...They [nurses] are extremely friendly, relatable, kind, quick to help, readily available. I wasn’t fond of their financial counsel. Felt a lot was left unexplained...Ease of appointments (in & out) - excellent Comfort and cleanliness- excellent Availability for questions and appointments was excellent
He is blunt and very serious. If you want warm fuzzies, he isn’t the doctor for you. He made me somewhat uncomfortable at first because he was so serious and i find comfort in jokes and laughter. He didn’t like the. He seems very competent and I trust his experience.
Even though I haven’t had success yet, I do trust him.
They take time, called me personally, gave me a phone number I could call 24/7, always willing to answer my millions of questions without seeming annoyed or impatient.
Birth control for almost a full cycle before retrieval. I used Gonal F and Menopur for stimulation hormones before the retrieval. I had a sonogram and blood draw every 48 hours-ish. I had 24 eggs removed so my body responded well. After the retrieval it took another two months before the transfer. More birth control, 2mg 3x daily of estrogen pills, 1ml progesterone oil injections a day (suppositories were offered as an option) leading up to the transfer, and continued injections after. We did not get our happy ending and our going through the second transfer, same protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Megan Rohls)
They are extremely friendly, relatable, kind, quick to help, readily available. I wasn’t fond of their financial counsel. Felt a lot was left unexplained.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Nurses - excellent Doctors are excellent Financial counsel - ok Ease of appointments (in & out) - excellent Comfort and cleanliness- excellent Availability for questions and appointments was excellent
2012, Successful
Dr Tjadenc came across very matter of fact. He didn't seem interested in what had worked or more like hadn't worked in our past. He didn't want any info from my fertility charts or what I had learned over the last years. He was pretty straight forward and seemed convinced we would conceive quickly and easily. However, we did conceive after two IUI, so I guess he was right. And we that's what really mattered to us.
The nursing staff [at Center for Reproductive Medicine] was wonderful. Smart, caring, explained everything thoughtfully. The nursing staff is the shinning star... The clomid was very inexpensive, less than $20. For each cycle I had to have multiple sonograms, each $350. Trigger shot was $100. And the actual IUI procedure $500...There's lots of paper work but I believe that's expected to get the best care.
He will be straight forward and matter of fact. Don't expect it to be a therapy session, where you can talk to someone about how hard your struggle has been.
I left like Dr. Tjaden dismissed our infertility struggles. I remember him saying it would be so easy but it sure didn't feel easy nor was it easy.
We did 2 rounds of IUI. Both with Clomid/trigger/IUI. I did not ovulate on my own but with clomid was all to produce 1-2 high quality follicles on day 20. Our second IUI, my partner's count post wash was only 4 million. We were offered to cancel the IUI since it was less than 5 million. We chose to continue the cycle and got our first baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas. (Assigned nurse: Megan )
The nursing staff was wonderful. Smart, caring, explained everything thoughtfully. The nursing staff is the shinning star.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
There's lots of paper work but I believe that's expected to get the best care.
Our insurance didnt cover, we payed 100% out of pocket. The clomid was very inexpensive, less than $20. For each cycle I had to have multiple sonograms, each $350. Trigger shot was $100. And the actual IUI procedure $500.
Wichita
He [Dr. Tjaden] didnt really listen to any of my concerns. He kept saying he was 100% sure which grinds my gears. And guess what, he was WRONG. I hate false hope, just br realistic with me. I'm a big girl and I can handle the hard truth. Every time I questioned him he would say "see this gray hair, I've been doing this a long time. I think I'd know better than you" I just felt blown off. Every time I asked about our next appointment itenary hed say "no need, you'll be pregnant by then anyway"
[Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas is] Very clean, very professional looking. The nursing staff was friendly and compassionate. They had everything I needed in one location...They [nurses] were very kind and always took the time to listen to me. I never had any problems. They always called me back in a timely manner....
He didnt really listen to any of my concerns. He kept saying he was 100% sure which grinds my gears. And guess what, he was WRONG. I hate false hope, just br realistic with me. I'm a big girl and I can handle the hard truth. Every time I questioned him he would say "see this gray hair, I've been doing this a long time. I think I'd know better than you" I just felt blown off. Every time I asked about our next appointment itenary hed say "no need, you'll be pregnant by then anyway"
Be very direct and be your own advocate.
He was very short with me and didn't listen to my concerns
Lots of ultrasounds, drugs, blood work.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
They were very kind and always took the time to listen to me. I never had any problems. They always called me back in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with Center for Reproductive Medicine in Kansas.
Very clean, very professional looking. The nursing staff was friendly and compassionate. They had everything I needed in one location. A weakness I saw was the doctors lack of hearing others opinions.
Only drugs were covered no treatments
I did not have any experiences