Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny

Nurse available by direct lineAvailable by cell phone
Medical SchoolN. Eastern Ohio U.
ResidencyAultman Hosp
FellowshipU. of Illinois
9335 McKnight Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15237
412.578.5588
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Bryan Hecht to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny to a friend?
Dr. Hecht made such an effort to get to know my husband and I...He provided us with ideas and options to try and conceive in the simplest and least expensive way possible. Once we exhausted all of those options, unfortunately we did need to move onto IVF, but trust me, he worked with us to try EVERYTHING we could to avoid this... If something was urgent, he would call me on his personal cell phone to let me know what was going on.
How was your experience with Bryan Hecht at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
My husband and I will be forever grateful Dr. Hecht. I was a patient at the Jones Institute prior to his arrival and we had little to no progress in our treatment until he arrived. He provided us with ideas and options to try and conceive in the simplest and least expensive way possible. Once we exhausted all of those options, unfortunately we did need to move onto IVF, but trust me, he worked with us to try EVERYTHING we could to avoid this. We had quite a long journey with Dr.Hecht, and I am so happy to say that after about a year of medicated cycles, we finally had our success. He was with us every step of the way…. he was our physician first, but also showed us so much empathy and compassion during the difficult times. My husband and I appreciated his ‘hugs, high fives and humor’. Additionally, he was always open to the suggestions we brought to the table to enhance and personalize our treatment. And I will just say, his clinical skills when doing a pelvic exam or an IUI are excellent. I have had other OBGYNs who were HORRIBLE in this area, but there were times when I didn’t even feel him insert the speculum. This is truly a skill! Overall, we loved Dr. Hecht and are so sad that he moved back to Ohio. In full transparency though, I have had friends that have seen Dr.Hecht and were turned off by his sense of humor and candidness. While I can understand their feelings, for my husband and I, this is exactly what we needed. We have always been an open book about our situation and truly valued having a doctor who could be just as open with us. Infertility is a personal struggle. Find a doctor that fits your personality and lifestyle. We saw 3 different REs before Dr.Hecht and we knew with certainty that he was the best fit for us. Who knows, maybe for baby #2, we’ll make the two hour journey down the turnpike so we can work with him again :)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bryan Hecht at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Don't be turned off by his sense of humor. He truly has your best interest at heart and wants you to succeed. Also, don't be afraid to be your own advocate. He is open to your suggestions. For my second egg retrieval, he wanted to keep my stim protocol the same as for the first, but I wanted to be more aggressive to possibly retrieve more eggs. We worked together to come up with a treatment plan which increased my meds slightly, but still protected me from developing OHSS, and for the second retrieval, we got TWICE as many eggs as the first! I really nice that we had an open patient/doctor relationship, and I felt comfortable approaching him with my ideas.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bryan Hecht at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Dr. Hecht made such an effort to get to know my husband and I. He knew what we both did for our jobs and asked about them at every appointment. He always used our first names to say hello if we saw him in the waiting room. He was easy to talk to and used humor to make us feel comfortable. If something was urgent, he would call me on his personal cell phone to let me know what was going on.
Describe the protocols Bryan Hecht used in your cycles at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny and their degree of success.
May 2015 - IVF #1 - Follistim 200, Menopur 50, Ganirelix and Ovidril trigger. I stimmed for 12 days, had 9 eggs retrieved, 5 were fertilized and we transferred 2 day-3 embryos. No embryos made it to freeze. This cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy. July - November 2015 - 5 IUI's - each month, did 5 days of Letrozol, tracked ovulation with OPKs, and triggered with Ovidril. All 5 IUIs ended in negative pregnancy tests. December 2015 - IVF #2 - Follistim 200, Menopur 75, Ganirelix and Ovidril trigger. I stimmed for 9 days, had 19 eggs retrieved, 10 were fertilized and we transferred 2 day-3 embryos. 5 day-3 embryos made it to freeze. This cycle ended in a negative pregnancy test. March 2016 - FET #1 - vaginal estrace and prometrium for uterine priming, plus baby aspirin. Thawed and transferred 2 day-3 embryos. This cycle ended in a negative pregnancy test. May 2016 - FET #2 - vaginal estrace and prometrium for uterine priming, plus baby aspirin. Thawed 3 day-3 embryos, and allowed them to develop to day-5. One embryo did not survive the thaw, one embryo developed to 8-cell stage, and one embryo became a blastocyst. Transferred the 8-cell and the blast. This cycle ended in a POSITIVE pregnancy test.
The nursing staff is wonderful. They also make great efforts to know you personally and show great care and compassion. I have shed many tears with them during the tough times, and when we finally had success, I could just tell they were as excited as my husband and I were! My only critical comments... 95% of the time, if you call and leave a message, they do return your phone call the same day, but there were a few times they did not call me back, which for a fertility patient, was very stressful to have to wait until the following day to try and call again. Additionally, I personally did not like it when the nurses performed the IUIs. There was one nurse that did them well, but when one of the other nurses performed one on me, it really hurt! After that, I always requested that the doctor performed my IUIs (which he did without hesitation). Otherwise, they were always helpful when explaining the process, medications and answering all of my crazy questions!
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
My husband and I had a very unique/challenging male infertility situation, and the Jones Institute bent over backwards for us to do whatever they could to help achieve our goal of starting a family. We had such personal treatment at their office from EVERYONE… literally from the receptionist, to the nurses, to the financial coordinator to the embryologist. The entire staff was always so hopeful and positive, even during the most difficult times. And when we FINALLY had success, I cannot tell you how excited they were for us! We received three personal phone calls from different staff members congratulating us the day our pregnancy test came back positive! Although our journey was much longer than we originally anticipated, I am so happy that we went through it at the Jones Institute. I cannot stress the level of personalized care we received there and how invested the staff is in their patients. I still think about them all the time and will be forever grateful for the gift they have given us! Something unique about the clinic is the office is located in McCandless, but egg retrievals and embryo transfers are done at the surgery center in Allegheny General Hospital on the Northside (IUIs are performed in the McCandless office). Also the frozen embryos are stored at the hospital. They do bloodwork and will perform IUIs on Saturdays, but the office is closed on Sundays. They will do egg retrievals and transfers any day of the week, including holidays. My first retrieval was on Memorial Day and had an IUI done on Labor Day. They do batch scheduling for IVF. So they perform all IVF patient's retrievals and transfers during the same week in each month. I had to take birth control pills to delay my cycle to get onto their schedule.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The monitoring appointments were always in the morning, which was great for me. I always liked to try and get the first appointment at 6:45 or 7:00am so I could go straight to work afterwards. The ultrasound technicians do not work in the afternoon, so there are no afternoon appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bryan Hecht at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
My treatment was mostly covered by insurance, so there may be other fees that I'm not aware of, but for me, these were the costs: - IVF egg retrieval & fresh embryo transfer - $9500 (including assisted hatching and ICSI) - Frozen embryo transfer - $3750 - Embryo freezing - $1200 - Annual embryo storage - $400 - Annual sperm storage - $400 - IUI - $950 - Medications - we were blessed to have all meds covered by insurance, so I don't know what these costs were.
Describe Bryan Hecht's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
He was open to whatever decision we wanted to make, but, especially for the day-3 embryos he encouraged transferring two.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?
Pittsburgh
I had gone in with a notebook of questions - I think there were two full pages - and he [Dr Bryan Hecht] spent the time with us to go over every one and made sure that I was comfortable with his answer and understood what his answer meant. After I had a miscarriage, I called the office and Dr. Hecht called me back personally...He has the best nurses. They all love their jobs and you can tell that it's a great place to work.
Dr. Hecht has an odd sense of humor. At my first appointment, he could tell that I was nervous and uneasy. He cracked a few jokes and I immediately began to calm down and relax. I had gone in with a notebook of questions - I think there were two full pages - and he spent the time with us to go over every one and made sure that I was comfortable with his answer and understood what his answer meant. After I had a miscarriage, I called the office and Dr. Hecht called me back personally. He made me and my husband feel like we were the only patients he had during that horrific time in our lives. He assured us that he was there to help us again and when we were ready, we could make an appointment and go back in to begin treatments. Upon our return, he sat down with us for over an hour and talked to us about the miscarriage and how we were feeling to make sure that we were emotionally ready to begin this process over again. It was great to have a doctor that was so invested in helping us begin a family.
Go in with an open mind. His humor does not make everyone laugh, but if you have an open mind about it and don't take things too seriously, he's great!
Dr. Hecht is very personal with his patients. Every time I'm in the office, when he walks through the waiting room, he addresses everyone in there by name. My husband went with me a few times and the times he did not accompany me, Dr. Hecht asked about him. I felt very comfortable with Dr. Hecht. He makes a very difficult situation bearable.
My very first treatment in October was to initiate a period, take Letrozol for days 3-7, go back for several ultrasounds to track the uterus lining and ovulation. Once he deemed that I was ovulating, I had specific instructions on intercourse. When my next period was due, I was instructed to either take a pregnancy test if no signs of a period or call them when my period started. I was fortunate to become pregnant on the first treatment. But as I mentioned earlier, I had a miscarriage at 7 weeks. We started treatments again in January. Since the Letrozol worked for me before, he saw no reason to change the treatment. We continued that treatment for 4 more months and on April 30th, I took another pregnancy test and it was positive. I'm currently 7 weeks along in this pregnancy and I have another appointment to see him in two weeks before he releases me to my OBGYN. He wants to stay with us through the rough spot - getting over that hump we were at last time catastrophe struck.
He has the best nurses. They all love their jobs and you can tell that it's a great place to work. There are a few nurses that drive several hours to work - that is a surefire sign to me that they love their jobs! Judy and Sharon were the two that I dealt with the most. No matter what small and "stupid" question I had, they never judged me and called me back immediately with answers. They could tell that I was paranoid about everything I did, everything I took, and they were extremely helpful. I had some dental issues when I first got pregnant and I called about everything. Am I allowed to have Novocaine? Am I allowed to get my teeth cleaned? Should I tell them that I'm pregnant or refuse x-rays? They were the best! And the ultrasound techs were fantastic too. They were very friendly and did everything they could to make you feel comfortable while you were incredibly vulnerable. Laying there on the table, naked from the waist down, with the ultrasound wand inside of you, you were able to have a regular conversation like two friends sitting across from one another at lunch. It was a great experience and I'm glad that I had/have such a wonderful team to work with.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The strengths - super friendly staff and they do whatever they can to squeeze you in when you need to be there since timing is everything! They also do not overbook. The only time I had to wait was when I showed up 30 minutes early (left extra time due to weather) for my appointment, but they even ended up taking me early since the person that was in the next slot cancelled. The weaknesses - their office is in McCandless, which is not very convenient. I ended up taking half days off of work when I had an appointment because it took me an hour to get there, an hour to get back, and usually 15-30 minutes during my appointment.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
I was at the clinic frequently, having initiated 4 cycles, and I saw Dr. Hecht every single visit. If they had bad news for me, he personally phoned me right away and we talked things over. You truly can't ask for more in a physician...You know what you're getting here. His hands were a little bit tied when it came to getting creative with protocols because the clinic is small and they batch retrievals each month. But that's not his fault. ..
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Hecht treats me like a person, not a case. I was at the clinic frequently, having initiated 4 cycles, and I saw Dr. Hecht every single visit. If they had bad news for me, he personally phoned me right away and we talked things over. You truly can't ask for more in a physician. He's not conservative in his treatments but there are other clinics that are on the cutting edge and experimental. This isn't one of those clinics and that's okay. You know what you're getting here. His hands were a little bit tied when it came to getting creative with protocols because the clinic is small and they batch retrievals each month. But that's not his fault. That's just the nature of a small clinic. In the end, after having left and gone to two other clinics, I've returned to Dr. Hecht. I trust him. I trust that he has our best interests at heart.
Dr. Hecht never has to look at my file to remember who I am. Whenever I am in the office, he's sure to stop and talk.
We initiated 4 IVF cycles with Dr. Hecht. I have DOR and I'm a poor responder. My first cycle was an antagonist cycle with high dose FSH. My second and third cycles were long Lupron cycles worh high dose FSH (to quell spontaneous ovulation) and my fourth cycle was long Lupron with high dose FSH, plus a clomid flare.
Bryan Hecht
Dr. Hecht is extremely processional, but he does use humor at times to lighten the mood. This might entirely not be for everyone, but for mine and my husbands personalities and treatment it was fantastic. He is extremely knowledgeable and you feel like a person not just a number...Dr. Hecht explained everything we needed and took the time to make us feel comfortable with diagnostic procedures and treatment. He never acted like he was too busy to talk with us.
Be open to the humor, he’s not trying to poke fun or downplay the circumstances of why you’re there but rather make infertility a little less doom and gloom.
Super knowledgeable and compassionate. Always able to answer our questions and didn’t feel annoyed by phone calls.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
The clinic is in an outpatient setting instead of attached to a hospital so if you have a late appointment and need bloodwork done you will have to go elsewhere or wait until the next day because the outpatient lab closes at 3:00pm
Costs would’ve been approximately $8000 but with insurance we paid $150.
Pittsburgh
I felt he [Dr. Bryan Hecht] listened to me and really let me lead how aggressive, or not aggressive, I was comfortable with in tackling our problems. This did mean he didn't push me at all and missed diagnosing me with diminished ovarian reserve. As a result I lost a year of treatment.
When I was seeing Dr. Hecht I didn't know what questions to even ask. I wish I would have asked more questions about everything. I never felt rushed or hurried during my appointments and he always included my husband in the conversation.
He's retiring.
I felt he listened to me and really let me lead how aggressive, or not aggressive, I was comfortable with in tackling our problems. This did mean he didn't push me at all and missed diagnosing me with diminished ovarian reserve. As a result I lost a year of treatment.
We did one IUI and Dr. Hecht was out that day. The dr. who filled in for him told me during the procedure that it likely wouldn't work. I wanted to cancel everything, demand a refund, and walk out.
Describe your experience with Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny.
Dr. Hecht is retiring and another dr is taking over the practice.
Payment was due upfront. No price lists were given. It was very much a whirlwind.
What specific things went wrong at Jones Institute at West Penn Allegheny?