Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia

610.667.1070
945 Chesterbrook Boulevard
Chesterbrook, PA 19087
610.981.6000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Caleb Kallen to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia to a friend?
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Kallen does not have good communication skills and struggles giving individualized protocols and recommendations (especially for DOR). He does not stay up to date on infertility research and studies. As his background is in Academia, he likes to lecture about topics he feels comfortable with. If you ask questions (especially about IVF) he does not respond to them directly. It took him two weeks to answer very standard questions about the quality of the lab and even then his answers were very vague (I had been a patiend of his for 4 months at this point). During my time being treated by him, I felt I was just a number. At one point during a medicated cycle, he recommended I trigger 4 days earlier than I had in the previous cycle (the follicle sizes were the same as the previous cycle) which would mean I would only trigger with one mature follicle. I challenged his recommendation and triggered a few days later to give the other three follicles a chance to mature (that cycle resulted in pregnancy). When I asked why he had decided on the random date for the trigger, he did not have a good reason and told me it's ok to trigger later. It seems like he just didn't care when I triggered. After speaking with other women and seeing other doctors, I now know that my treatment by Dr. Kallenn was subpar.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
I do not recommend this doctor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
His background is in academia, so I think he prefers to lecture rather than listen or explain. He seems to have the same presentation and talking points for every patient. He is very rigid in his thinking and does not stay up to date with all of the new IVF and infertility research.
Describe the protocols Caleb Kallen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We did 3 medicated cycles with clomid and Gonal F with timed intercourse. We had wanted to do IVF right away but we had a bad experience w/ Dr. Kallen, so we moved fertility clinics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Victoria Bennis)
Tori is wonderful and extremely organized. I loved working with her.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is very well organized but overpriced for their success rates. Their facilities are beautiful but that hasn't transferred to their success rates yet as rates are correlated by embryologist experience/skill.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered most but I needed to meet my deductible. I've spent about 3k on testing, 3 medicated cycles monitorring and the medications
Describe Caleb Kallen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
If PGS testing, Dr. Kallen recommends just one embryo transferred.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady Grove Fertility
Chesterbrook

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility.

At our first appointment I thought that Dr. Kallen pushed doing IVF a little too hard, but once I explained I wasn't ready for that he was immediately okay with trying another IUI. He explained the process he wanted to try and what results he expected. When things didn't work out as planned, he reassured me that things could still work out, and if they didn't, we could change our course for the next cycle without moving onto IVF right away. He was personable and honest and I appreciated the fact that he did all of my ultrasounds and the actual IUI.
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
Tell him what you're comfortable doing. Be honest.
We started with a sit down appointment with Dr. Kallen, he spent over an hour talking about our options and what would be best for us. Every time I walk in the clinic I see Dr. Kallen and a nurse. They always explain what they're doing and what the next steps are.
My first cycle with Dr. Kallen for my IUI I took Clomid 100mg CD 3-7 and a 75mg follistim injection on CD 7. I started estrace vaginally twice a day on CD 8 because my last cycle with Clomid it thinned my lining and the follistim and estrace were to make sure my lining was where it needed to be. I ended up having only one follicle but it was a big one. I used ovidrel and 2 days later had my IUI. I'm still in the TWW.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
After almost every appointment I had a sit down with the nurse assigned to me and she explained exactly what I was to do. She showed me how to inject the meds and then emailed me several videos to help. She called with my blood tests and explained what they meant and all the next steps.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This is a very nice clinic! It's huge, and the exam rooms are large and have a large TV screen where you can comfortably lay back and watch the ultrasound happening. Sometimes in the morning there is a little bit of a wait.
I have a $70 copay every time I walk in the door except for bloodwork. I'm unsure of the actual cost of the IUI because I haven't been billed for it yet. They provided my follistim injection for free as long as I used their pharmacy for the ovidrel.
Shady Grove Fertility

Tubal Blockage, Other
At first it was all good. Now it’s like he [Dr. Caleb Kallen] don’t care about any of his patients. When getting and ultrasound done he litterly wouldn’t let any pictures nor did he give me any medical records. I just felt like I was $ in his eyes and that’s all .... Ivf. He says clamping the tubes before transfer. That’s all he told me... He wants to me pay 30,000$ for 6 cycles and that’s with out medication
Latino, Other
Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Caleb treated me as if I was money. Not a person. It upsets me because he don’t work around nor does he help with the situation. He basically makes you feel like your worthless. Thank god he won’t be my doctor anymore
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Make sure he don’t treat you like money. Make sure when your paying cash for everything you accually get the time you payed for and the resolves of the work you have done
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
At first it was all good. Now it’s like he don’t care about any of his patients. When getting and ultrasound done he litterly wouldn’t let any pictures nor did he give me any medical records. I just felt like I was $ in his eyes and that’s all .
Describe the protocols Caleb Kallen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Ivf. He says clamping the tubes before transfer. That’s all he told me
The nurse staff are nice but when talking to a nurse she just like him. They don’t care because it’s not them
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
There very clean. The lady at the front desk is amazing and I love her !! She helps a lot and gave me a bunch of ivf financial routs that she known of. They need to keep her .. well for the others They talk nice but with a attitude. They lack on care , communication, organization. They really lack of checking on patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
He wants to me pay 30,000$ for 6 cycles and that’s with out medication. Very crazy . That’s not the price for all the lab work and stuff before .
Describe Caleb Kallen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I really have nothing. He treated me so horrible and I can’t wait to go to cny fertility
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia
Center City

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr Kallen does allow you to email and he will often return messages directly by phone if it is something pressing or important. He is very much a scientist and thinks about things in terms of percentages. Sometimes I think he knows what we should do next, but almost involves us too much in the decisions, but I am not sure if that is because both my fiancé and I are also doctors!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at RMA of Philadelphia?
Be very very direct with your questions and most important ask at every step how you are expected to feel. Also, ask what is the "usual" experience for a woman with a similar health profile. I was surprised by how I felt after egg retrieval and also how many embryos actually are mature, fertilize, and then grow! There is a drop off at every step and no one explained that to us! We will know better now if we have to do more rounds!
They are just very good and are very supportive. They call when they are supposed to and email you if you don't pick up.
RMA of Philadelphia
Philadelphia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Caleb Kallen at RMA of Philadelphia.