Medical SchoolU. of Pennsylvania
610.667.1070
945 Chesterbrook Boulevard
Chesterbrook, PA 19087
610.981.6000
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Caleb Kallen to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia to a friend?
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
When we received less than great news, he was the one who called us personally to share that news. ... Dr. Kallen is an incredibly talented, kind, compassionate doctor. He is up-to-date on the latest studies and values his patient's input. ... Due to our age (25 and 26) and this being our first pregnancy, he highly advised going with an eSET ... While he has a very calm and serious demeanor, he is incredibly caring and compassionate.
We had quite the time figuring out our insurance pharmacy coverage and she [Nurse Chrissie], without hesitation, sent multiple scripts to multiple pharmacies and filled out pre-authorization forms. ... There are global fees for procedures. Global fees for IVF is based on maternal age and they have 3 packages - one cycle, multi-cycle, Shared Risk money-back.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Kallen is an incredibly talented, kind, compassionate doctor. He is up-to-date on the latest studies and values his patient's input. He takes the time to educate, inform and listen to all of his patients. He works seamlessly with his nursing and clinical staff, which you can tell through their communication. While he has a very calm and serious demeanor, he is incredibly caring and compassionate. When we received less than great news, he was the one who called us personally to share that news. He listened to all of our concerns and worries and thoughtfully shared his thoughts, while never once pushing us in any direction. I fully trust Dr. Kallen and know that I am in good hands.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
Look no further! We came to Dr. Kallen as a second opinion and knew we'd found the right doctor upon our first consultation with him. Bring any and all questions and concerns to him and he will guide you through everything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Kallen makes you feel like you're his only patient. He spends as much time as needed with you and has never once made us feel rushed. I have always gotten an appointment when I needed one, even last minute.
Describe the protocols Caleb Kallen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Since we had had diagnostic testing done at our previous clinic only a few months prior to coming to Dr. Kallen, we did not have to repeat our genetic blood screening. (I was not a carrier for any conditions the test screened for). My husband repeated his semen analysis and completed an infectious disease blood panel. I also repeated a complete blood work up. Prior to beginning our IVF cycle, I had an HSG done, a saline sonogram, and mock embryo transfer. This was our first IVF cycle, and we followed the Antagonist IVF Protocol. This entailed being on an active birth control pill for 21 days which commenced on the first day of my menstrual cycle. A few days before injections were to start, I came in for a baseline ultrasound and bloodwork. Once they verified that my levels were where they needed to be, 3 days later I started my injectible hormones. I began on 225 IU of Gonal F and 150 IU of Menopur daily. I came in 3 days later for my first monitoring appointment and my dosage of Gonal F was increased to 300 IU per day. Monitoring appointments became more frequent and my dosage of both Gonal F and Menopur increased. Once my follicles were large enough, I began Cetrotide and came in for monitoring almost daily. Then we got the go-ahead and exactly 36 hours before egg retrieval, we used an HCG injection. Egg retrieval was successful and we waited to see how many made it to Day 5 blastocyst. Since we were doing PGS testing, our blastocysts were biopsied and sent to the lab and embryos were frozen. PGS test results took about 2 weeks to come back, and in the meantime I waited for my next menstrual cycle to begin active birth control pills again to begin my frozen embryo transfer cycle. After we received our normal embryo results, I also began Estrace oral pills, three times daily. Then I began progesterone in oil injections five days before our frozen embryo transfer. Once the embryo was transferred, I continued both Estrace and PIO until 10 weeks gestation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chrissie Speca)
Chrissie was amazing to work with. She was caring and compassionate and knew her stuff. She communicated flawlessly with Dr. Kallen and never left any question unanswered. Whether I called or emailed, I knew I could expect a call from her almost immediately. Whenever she said she'd call, she always did. We had quite the time figuring out our insurance pharmacy coverage and she, without hesitation, sent multiple scripts to multiple pharmacies and filled out pre-authorization forms. This was definitely time consuming and she did it in a very timely manner. Thanks to her help, we managed to get our insurance to cover our medicine. She shared in the joy of our first positive pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility - Chesterbrook is like a well-oiled machine. The waiting times are minimal (10-15 minutes max, although it was usually closer to 5). When you first walk in the receptionist always greets you with a smile. The medical assistant/phlebotomist is extremely skilled and makes you feel at ease when getting blood drawn. When getting ultrasounds done, they are gentle and explain everything that they're doing and what you're seeing on the screen. I've always been able to get an appointment when needed, even on a last minute or emergent basis.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Caleb Kallen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Kallen prefers eSET, as there are now studies that show that transferring multiples does not increase the chances of success, rather the chances of multiples which is risky. He explained the risk of multiples and the probability of an embryo splitting. Due to our age (25 and 26) and this being our first pregnancy, he highly advised going with an eSET. We were planning on doing an eSET anyway.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility.

Tubal Blockage, Other
At first it was all good. Now it’s like he [Dr. Caleb Kallen] don’t care about any of his patients. When getting and ultrasound done he litterly wouldn’t let any pictures nor did he give me any medical records. I just felt like I was $ in his eyes and that’s all .... Ivf. He says clamping the tubes before transfer. That’s all he told me... He wants to me pay 30,000$ for 6 cycles and that’s with out medication
There [Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia- Center Center is] very clean. The lady at the front desk is amazing and I love her !! She helps a lot and gave me a bunch of ivf financial routs that she known of. They need to keep her .. well for the others They talk nice but with a attitude. They lack on care , communication, organization. They really lack of checking on patients.... The nurse staff are nice but when talking to a nurse she just like him. They don’t care because it’s not them
Latino, Other
Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Caleb treated me as if I was money. Not a person. It upsets me because he don’t work around nor does he help with the situation. He basically makes you feel like your worthless. Thank god he won’t be my doctor anymore
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Make sure he don’t treat you like money. Make sure when your paying cash for everything you accually get the time you payed for and the resolves of the work you have done
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
At first it was all good. Now it’s like he don’t care about any of his patients. When getting and ultrasound done he litterly wouldn’t let any pictures nor did he give me any medical records. I just felt like I was $ in his eyes and that’s all .
Describe the protocols Caleb Kallen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Ivf. He says clamping the tubes before transfer. That’s all he told me
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
There very clean. The lady at the front desk is amazing and I love her !! She helps a lot and gave me a bunch of ivf financial routs that she known of. They need to keep her .. well for the others They talk nice but with a attitude. They lack on care , communication, organization. They really lack of checking on patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
He wants to me pay 30,000$ for 6 cycles and that’s with out medication. Very crazy . That’s not the price for all the lab work and stuff before .
Describe Caleb Kallen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I really have nothing. He treated me so horrible and I can’t wait to go to cny fertility
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
They never called me for the resaults on my egg count. I had to call and they told me to use the portal because no one was able to speak to me about the resaults. The blood work they never called me for as well I had to bug them in messages in the portal in order to get them
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.

Shady Grove is very well organized but overpriced for their success rates. Their facilities are beautiful but that hasn't transferred to their success rates yet as rates are correlated by embryologist experience/skill.... There were a few mistakes: calling in prescription refills was forgotten they made the mistake of trying to schedule me for an IUI when we were only doing timed intercourse.... Tori is wonderful and extremely organized
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Kallen does not have good communication skills and struggles giving individualized protocols and recommendations (especially for DOR). He does not stay up to date on infertility research and studies. As his background is in Academia, he likes to lecture about topics he feels comfortable with. If you ask questions (especially about IVF) he does not respond to them directly. It took him two weeks to answer very standard questions about the quality of the lab and even then his answers were very vague (I had been a patiend of his for 4 months at this point). During my time being treated by him, I felt I was just a number. At one point during a medicated cycle, he recommended I trigger 4 days earlier than I had in the previous cycle (the follicle sizes were the same as the previous cycle) which would mean I would only trigger with one mature follicle. I challenged his recommendation and triggered a few days later to give the other three follicles a chance to mature (that cycle resulted in pregnancy). When I asked why he had decided on the random date for the trigger, he did not have a good reason and told me it's ok to trigger later. It seems like he just didn't care when I triggered. After speaking with other women and seeing other doctors, I now know that my treatment by Dr. Kallenn was subpar.
I do not recommend this doctor
His background is in academia, so I think he prefers to lecture rather than listen or explain. He seems to have the same presentation and talking points for every patient. He is very rigid in his thinking and does not stay up to date with all of the new IVF and infertility research.
We did 3 medicated cycles with clomid and Gonal F with timed intercourse. We had wanted to do IVF right away but we had a bad experience w/ Dr. Kallen, so we moved fertility clinics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Victoria Bennis)
Tori is wonderful and extremely organized. I loved working with her.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered most but I needed to meet my deductible. I've spent about 3k on testing, 3 medicated cycles monitorring and the medications
If PGS testing, Dr. Kallen recommends just one embryo transferred.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
+ Read more- Read less

At our first appointment I thought that Dr. Kallen pushed doing IVF a little too hard, but once I explained I wasn't ready for that he was immediately okay with trying another IUI. He explained the process he wanted to try and what results he expected. When things didn't work out as planned, he reassured me that things could still work out, and if they didn't, we could change our course for the next cycle without moving onto IVF right away. He was personable and honest and I appreciated the fact that he did all of my ultrasounds and the actual IUI.
After almost every appointment [at Shady Grove of PA] I had a sit down with the nurse assigned to me and she explained exactly what I was to do. She showed me how to inject the meds and then emailed me several videos to help. She called with my blood tests and explained what they meant and all the next steps.... This is a very nice clinic! It's huge, and the exam rooms are large and have a large TV screen where you can comfortably lay back and watch the ultrasound happening. Sometimes in the morning there is a little bit of a wait
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
Tell him what you're comfortable doing. Be honest.
We started with a sit down appointment with Dr. Kallen, he spent over an hour talking about our options and what would be best for us. Every time I walk in the clinic I see Dr. Kallen and a nurse. They always explain what they're doing and what the next steps are.
My first cycle with Dr. Kallen for my IUI I took Clomid 100mg CD 3-7 and a 75mg follistim injection on CD 7. I started estrace vaginally twice a day on CD 8 because my last cycle with Clomid it thinned my lining and the follistim and estrace were to make sure my lining was where it needed to be. I ended up having only one follicle but it was a big one. I used ovidrel and 2 days later had my IUI. I'm still in the TWW.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christine)
After almost every appointment I had a sit down with the nurse assigned to me and she explained exactly what I was to do. She showed me how to inject the meds and then emailed me several videos to help. She called with my blood tests and explained what they meant and all the next steps.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This is a very nice clinic! It's huge, and the exam rooms are large and have a large TV screen where you can comfortably lay back and watch the ultrasound happening. Sometimes in the morning there is a little bit of a wait.
I have a $70 copay every time I walk in the door except for bloodwork. I'm unsure of the actual cost of the IUI because I haven't been billed for it yet. They provided my follistim injection for free as long as I used their pharmacy for the ovidrel.

Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
[The staff] are just very good and are very supportive. They call when they are supposed to and email you if you don't pick up.
Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr Kallen does allow you to email and he will often return messages directly by phone if it is something pressing or important. He is very much a scientist and thinks about things in terms of percentages. Sometimes I think he knows what we should do next, but almost involves us too much in the decisions, but I am not sure if that is because both my fiancé and I are also doctors!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at RMA of Philadelphia?
Be very very direct with your questions and most important ask at every step how you are expected to feel. Also, ask what is the "usual" experience for a woman with a similar health profile. I was surprised by how I felt after egg retrieval and also how many embryos actually are mature, fertilize, and then grow! There is a drop off at every step and no one explained that to us! We will know better now if we have to do more rounds!
They are just very good and are very supportive. They call when they are supposed to and email you if you don't pick up.
RMA of Philadelphia
Philadelphia
+ Read more- Read less

Shady Grove Fertility is very organized and the entire team has been entirely supportive, and in touch through my entire journey. My only recommendation would be that sometimes it's hard to reach the front desk and voice messages left are not responded to promptly...[Dr. Caleb Kallen] took time to explain the entire IVF process in detail to both me and my husband. He also personally called to reassure and give confidence when the first transfer did not go our way...It was absolutely wonderful to have Dr Kallen as my doctor. He is very sincere and my experience with him was that he took time to explain every detail of the IVF treatment and also give confidence throughout my journey...Dr Kallen recommended single embryo transfer and also provided more details on why it is more favourable...It is best to ask questions through the entire process if you think something is unclear or not explained.
Dr Kallen took time to explain the entire IVF process in detail to both me and my husband. He also personally called to reassure and give confidence when the first transfer did not go our way.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Mostly covered by insurance.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Kallen spent at least one hour for each of the two visits and discussions we had before beginning the IVF process. He was honest and straight forward, which we needed. Dr. Kallen also offered us hope. He was cautiously optimistic encouraging us to allow him to worry rather than us carry all of the stress of the IVF journey. We truly felt like we were on a team with Dr. Kallen... 90% of my visits was handled by Dr. Kallen, which is impressive given the number of appointments I needed and the travel between the two clinics. Additionally, Dr. Kallen did not rush our process...
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] staffs optimistic, upbeat, and loving people. I always felt comfortable in the space and believed that people cared about me even if they barely knew us. The ability to bring an acupuncturist was nice. The early hours were very helpful for me as a working educator with an early start time to the day...EVERYONE including the woman who worked at the front desk was kind. Our nurse Nikki helped me every single day even after I moved on to my OB/GYN doctors. She was always positive and answered by almost daily questions instantly. There were many days I felt insecure, and worried. On those days, Nikki accepted my messages and if necessary would call me to offer encouraging words. Her enthusiasm helped to keep me calm. I only wish I met or was able to see Nikki more often during my visits.
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Kallen was always available when we needed him. When we had questions he would respond. Furthermore, I loved his direct approach, and encouraging words. We traveled between two clinics-one close to our home and the other close to my work. 90% of my visits was handled by Dr. Kallen, which is impressive given the number of appointments I needed and the travel between the two clinics. Additionally, Dr. Kallen did not rush our process. He was careful and thoughtful. For example, after my retrieval and genetic testing, I was left with one embryo. The original plan was for me to begin the transfer process of our one embryo. Instead, doctor Kallen decided that I should engage the medication as if transferring the embryo, but instead they would take a biopsy of my endometrium lining to determine whether or not the medication protocol (which originally is based on the average woman's needs) was appropriate for my body. This was a difficult decision because it met that I had to give myself injections and wait an extra month for the actual transfer. The biopsy returned indicating that my medication protocol needed to be different from the average woman. At that moment, I felt most grateful to Dr. Kallen for encouraging us to follow the medication/biopsy process before the medication/transfer process. The extra month was well worth the wait. Our lone embryo was transferred resulting in a positive pregnancy test. Dr. Kallen performed the transfer with optimism and was the one to call with the positive pregnancy test. I was surprised and afraid at the same time to hear his voice and relieved to hear his good news. He sounded as happy as we were, which affirmed my belief that we were all working as a team. He gave all the credit to us. I know that without Dr. Kallen, my positive mindset and our good results would not have been possible. He always helped me to feel powerful and in control. For example, he often told us that we were doing great and that he is impressed with us. This positive reinforcement helped me to remain sane throughout this journey.
Trust him.
My issue with fertility is blocked tubes-one resulting in removal of the right tube due to ectopic pregnancy the year before. I began with medication protocol: July: Birth Control for a set number of day and daily injections in my belly (Gonal F & Menopur) after blood work and ultra sound, retrieval was scheduled. Once eggs were retrieved this was the most challenging time for me. Waiting for results regarding the growth and development of the eggs, then waiting for the genetic testing results. After it all, i had one Embryo which developed for 5 days before freezing. The next phase began medication for biopsy of my endometrium lining. The protocol began in August including: Birth Control, Estrace tab 2 mg PO 3 for approximately two weeks, blood work/ultrasound, first day of Estrace, Progesterone in oil 50mg 1 mL in AM and PM, continued with Estrace and Progestrone shots in the buttock for 5 days. Biopsy followed. September we followed the same protocol adding an extra day of Estrace and Progestrone as the biopsy indicated I needed. Embryo transfer followed. October 10th blood test scheduled giving us a positive result. We continued with Shady Grove for weekly ultra sounds until 10 weeks. I then moved to my OB/GYN doctors for the remainder of my pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic staffs optimistic, upbeat, and loving people. I always felt comfortable in the space and believed that people cared about me even if they barely knew us. The ability to bring an acupuncturist was nice. The early hours were very helpful for me as a working educator with an early start time to the day.
Dr. Kallen believed strongly that we only transfer one embryo for our first cycle. It would not have mattered for us anyway because I only had one embryo to transfer.
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Caleb Kallen] was compassionate when things were tough, and honest about my obstacles. After 2 previous ectopics (separated by a successful IUI pregnancy), he was very clear with me that IVF would be the best option, and that IUI worried him because of the risk to my health with another ectopic...I had an extreme curve in my cervix from a previous C section that made the egg transfer extremely difficult. He was honest and said that it would be really difficult, maybe impossible to get into my uterus with the eggs.
We got PGS testing free [at Shady Grove Fertility] because we were part of a study...Sometimes the clinic was really crowded and I would wait 30-50 minutes for an ultrasound. This would happen maybe 25% of the time. Usually bloodwork was on time and quick. It was usually wasy to schedule appointments for times that were good for me...Elyse [nurse] was amazing. She was sweet, super knowledgable, and quick to help me or get anything i needed. I also had Emily, who I worked with primarily through email. I could get in touch with her any time easily, and she was great to work with too.
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Kallen can be seen as a man of few words as I've seen in other reviews, and I agree with that. However, what he says is full of substance and gets to the heart of the issue. He was compassionate when things were tough, and honest about my obstacles. After 2 previous ectopics (separated by a successful IUI pregnancy), he was very clear with me that IVF would be the best option, and that IUI worried him because of the risk to my health with another ectopic. That made me feel more secure making the difficult decision to go forward with IVF even though we get pregnant with one IUI cycle before. I had an extreme curve in my cervix from a previous C section that made the egg transfer extremely difficult. He was honest and said that it would be really difficult, maybe impossible to get into my uterus with the eggs. That scared me, but I felt it prepared me for the possibility of not being able to get the egg into my uterus; a possibility I had never thought of. I could tell he was really focused on figuring it out, coming to my ultrasounds and trying to figure out what was going on. I felt like he really worked hard on helping me as an individual with specific needs.
nothing. He was great and I would highly recommend him.
I never felt like I was being pushed into making decisions that were not in my best interest.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elyse and Emily)
Elyse was amazing. She was sweet, super knowledgable, and quick to help me or get anything i needed. I also had Emily, who I worked with primarily through email. I could get in touch with her any time easily, and she was great to work with too.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think our costs were about 20,000 for one egg retrieval and 2 transfers. Our insurance covered all of this. We got PGS testing free because we were part of a study. The egg freezing was around $4,000 I think, and maybe another $1000 for medications that weren't covered.
I asked Dr. about the idea of transferring multiple embryos. Dr. Kallen said it would not increase my chances, and explained the increased risks of multiples. Using one egg a time would make sure each embryo had it's best shot. This was my understanding of it. He sometimes would say, "If you were my sister, my advice would be..." That made sense to me, and I it made me feel like he was giving me real advice and feedback rather than just numbers and science. He did also mention that I could do 2 embryos if I wanted to, if I would be jumping at the idea of twins.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Kallen helped us get pregnant on the first cycle of fertility treatment with non-invasive treatment. I was thrilled to have such fast results. I think Dr. Kallen really cares about his patients, and clearly knows the research and medicine behind fertility care. Sometimes, I felt that I had trouble communicating with him during appointments...We used Chlomid, hormones, trigger shot, with timid intercourse...answered my questions effectively and were able to schedule appointments quickly...explained our options for fertility treatment and respected our choice to try the least invasive option first.
She [nurse at Shady Grove] always greeted me in the lobby with such compassion and care. She is very efficient in returning calls. Bonnie made the process feel so much easier. She always took as much time as needed to answer all of my questions...This clinic is very efficient in scheduling appointments fast. The wait time is very short, and they do well with monitoring you closely even on the weekends. They schedule urgent appointments very fast. They are also extremely reliable in returning calls to patient. They will spend as long as needed on the phone with you to answer your questions. The office is also very nice.
Go into it with an open mind and remember that he is there to solely help you get pregnant.
Dr. Kallen and his staff answered my questions effectively and were able to schedule appointments quickly. Dr. Kallen helped us get pregnant during our first cycle with non-invasive treatment.
We used Chlomid, hormones, trigger shot, with timid intercourse. We got pregnant on the first cycle of treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie Cancel)
Bonnie Cancel was amazing! She always greeted me in the lobby with such compassion and care. She is very efficient in returning calls. Bonnie made the process feel so much easier. She always took as much time as needed to answer all of my questions. Bonnie is amazing! I was lucky to have her as much my care coordinator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Costs were reasonable. Our insurance helped pay for a significant portion of the treatment. We were left with reasonable costs. I would say total we spent less than $1000 including all of the testing, doctors appointments, ultrasounds.
Dr. Kallen explained our options for fertility treatment and respected our choice to try the least invasive option first.
+ Read more- Read less

I Would Have Appreciated More Information [from Dr. Caleb Kallen] As To Why I Was Put On Vaginal Progesterone...I Was Told And Planned With Dr. Kallen For A Natural Cycle. I Should Have Been Thoroughly Included On Why That Changed And How Long It Would Last To Find Out If I Was Comfortable With It And Was Aware Of The Risks And Side Effects....In My Experience, He Is Very Straightforward, A Little Cold Or Serious, But When He's Being Sweet Or Warm You Have To Know How To Read It. I Met With Him Maybe 2-3 Times In Person; For The Consultation, For The OAR, & Finally For The Ultrasound To Check How Many Sacs After A BFP, And Once Over The Phone To Discuss Test Results.
[Shady Grove Fertility Center City] Strengths Consist Of Cleanliness, Availability, Location, Nurse Bonnie's Bubbly Personality, And It's Appearance To Be LGBTQ "Friendly"...I Think That Most Of The Team, Except For Nurse Bonnie Treated Me As If I Was A Number. There Was No Warmth, Genuine Care, Or Compassion Other Than Nurse Bonnie. As For Doctor Kallen, I Rarely Saw Him But The Few Times That We Did Meet Or Our Phone Appointment, I Felt That He Treated Me Like A Human.
Latino, Black or African-American
Initially When I Read The Reviews Online For All Of The Fertility Doctors At Shady Grove Fertility I Remember Whispering "Please Don't Let Me Get Dr. Kallen, He Sounds So Mean And Cold". I Scheduled My Consultation And Sure Enough I Was Assigned To Dr. Kallen. I Was So Worried But I Went In With An Optimistic Approach And Believed That Maybe All Of Those Negative Reviewers Had Him Wrong. In My Experience, He Is Very Straightforward, A Little Cold Or Serious, But When He's Being Sweet Or Warm You Have To Know How To Read It. I Met With Him Maybe 2-3 Times In Person; For The Consultation, For The OAR, & Finally For The Ultrasound To Check How Many Sacs After A BFP, And Once Over The Phone To Discuss Test Results. He Did Not Perform My IUI Which I Was Shocked To Find Out When 2 Women Walked Into The Room But I Understand He Can't Be Everywhere At Once. He Explained Everything As It Appeared And Let Me Know Whenever There Was A Small Moment Of Concern. Although He Seems Like He Could Use A Big Hug Or A Few Laughs, Dr. Kallen Was Exactly What Was Best For My Journey In The End.
Please Be Open-Minded With Dr. Kallen's Personality. He Shows His Warmth And Passion In Other Forms. Don't Expect For Him To Make You Laugh Or Smile But To Assist In Making Your Dreams Of A Family A Reality.
My Treatment Strategy Was A Natural IUI Cycle Using Donor Sperm From A Sperm Bank. I Had Recently Went Into Preterm Labor With Twins And Was No Longer Involved With The Father. I Did Various Forms Of Bloodwork, Dr. Kallen Checked Out My Egg Count, I Ordered 2 Vials From California Cryobank, I Checked Ovulation Using One Digital Ovulation Kit And Strips To Compare, Once I Got My LH Surge I Was Scheduled For My IUI The Next Morning, Started Vaginal Progesterone The Following Morning For Whatever Reason I Was Not Given An Explanation, Got My BFP 2 Weeks Later, SGF Checked That My HCG Levels Were Rising, And Then Brought Me In To Count The Sacs.
I Only Have Positive Things To Say About Nurse Bonnie C. She Just Has This Warmth And Genuine Care For The Work That She Does, What It Means To Her Patients, And She's Overall A Very Happy And Uplifting Nurse. I Was Assigned To A Nurse Lindsay After Bonnie And We NEVER Met In Person, She Wasn't Knowledgeable About So Much I Felt Like I Was Her Nurse, And Was Relieved When She Said She Would No Longer Be Employed There But Her Patients Were Being Transferred To Another Nurse. Unfortunately, I Didn't Feel That The Next Nurse Was Reachable & Probably Spoke To Her Twice And Contacted By Others On Her Behalf Maybe 3-4 Times. I Would've Preferred Nurse Bonnie Throughout The Entire Process, She's A Spectacular Balance To Dr. Kallen's Dry Personality.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I Have Already Recommended My Best Friend And She Brought Up How She Was Treated Like A Number Or Dollar Sign From The Beginning After They Found Out Her Financial Status Which Is Complete Opposite Of My Own. The Clinic Shows Its Weakness In Delivering The Same Services To Those Of Various Financial Status. The Receptionist Needs To Seek Other Employment. She (Camille, I Believe Is Her Name) Gets Frustrated And Overwhelmed Easily And By Late Afternoon Her Fake Smile And Approach Is Rude And Snappy. The Clinic's Strengths Consist Of Cleanliness, Availability, Location, Nurse Bonnie's Bubbly Personality, And It's Appearance To Be LGBTQ "Friendly".
The Costs Was All Out Of Pocket For Me. It Was A Lot Cheaper Than I Expected. My Insurance Was Not Accepted. Discounts Not Really Explained Came In Handy. I Filled Out Paperwork With A Financial Counselor Of Sorts And NEVER HEARD FROM HER. She Is A Terrible! Doesn't Answer Phone Calls, Emails, Or Voicemails. The Sperm Donor Vials Were The Most Expensive From California Cryobank.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I Would Have Appreciated More Information As To Why I Was Put On Vaginal Progesterone The Morning After The IUI And Notified Before Beginning Of How Long I Was Supposed To Be Taking This Potentially Dangerous Medication. I Was Told And Planned With Dr. Kallen For A Natural Cycle. I Should Have Been Thoroughly Included On Why That Changed And How Long It Would Last To Find Out If I Was Comfortable With It And Was Aware Of The Risks And Side Effects.