Good

Chesterbrook
945 Chesterbrook Boulevard
Chesterbrook, PA 19087
610.981.6000

Dr. Kallen helped us get pregnant on the first cycle of fertility treatment with non-invasive treatment. I was thrilled to have such fast results. I think Dr. Kallen really cares about his patients, and clearly knows the research and medicine behind fertility care. Sometimes, I felt that I had trouble communicating with him during appointments...We used Chlomid, hormones, trigger shot, with timid intercourse...answered my questions effectively and were able to schedule appointments quickly...explained our options for fertility treatment and respected our choice to try the least invasive option first.
She [nurse at Shady Grove] always greeted me in the lobby with such compassion and care. She is very efficient in returning calls. Bonnie made the process feel so much easier. She always took as much time as needed to answer all of my questions...This clinic is very efficient in scheduling appointments fast. The wait time is very short, and they do well with monitoring you closely even on the weekends. They schedule urgent appointments very fast. They are also extremely reliable in returning calls to patient. They will spend as long as needed on the phone with you to answer your questions. The office is also very nice.
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Go into it with an open mind and remember that he is there to solely help you get pregnant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Kallen and his staff answered my questions effectively and were able to schedule appointments quickly. Dr. Kallen helped us get pregnant during our first cycle with non-invasive treatment.
Describe the protocols Caleb Kallen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
We used Chlomid, hormones, trigger shot, with timid intercourse. We got pregnant on the first cycle of treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie Cancel)
Bonnie Cancel was amazing! She always greeted me in the lobby with such compassion and care. She is very efficient in returning calls. Bonnie made the process feel so much easier. She always took as much time as needed to answer all of my questions. Bonnie is amazing! I was lucky to have her as much my care coordinator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Costs were reasonable. Our insurance helped pay for a significant portion of the treatment. We were left with reasonable costs. I would say total we spent less than $1000 including all of the testing, doctors appointments, ultrasounds.
Describe Caleb Kallen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Dr. Kallen explained our options for fertility treatment and respected our choice to try the least invasive option first.
Caleb Kallen
Center City

I Would Have Appreciated More Information [from Dr. Caleb Kallen] As To Why I Was Put On Vaginal Progesterone...I Was Told And Planned With Dr. Kallen For A Natural Cycle. I Should Have Been Thoroughly Included On Why That Changed And How Long It Would Last To Find Out If I Was Comfortable With It And Was Aware Of The Risks And Side Effects....In My Experience, He Is Very Straightforward, A Little Cold Or Serious, But When He's Being Sweet Or Warm You Have To Know How To Read It. I Met With Him Maybe 2-3 Times In Person; For The Consultation, For The OAR, & Finally For The Ultrasound To Check How Many Sacs After A BFP, And Once Over The Phone To Discuss Test Results.
[Shady Grove Fertility Center City] Strengths Consist Of Cleanliness, Availability, Location, Nurse Bonnie's Bubbly Personality, And It's Appearance To Be LGBTQ "Friendly"...I Think That Most Of The Team, Except For Nurse Bonnie Treated Me As If I Was A Number. There Was No Warmth, Genuine Care, Or Compassion Other Than Nurse Bonnie. As For Doctor Kallen, I Rarely Saw Him But The Few Times That We Did Meet Or Our Phone Appointment, I Felt That He Treated Me Like A Human.
Initially When I Read The Reviews Online For All Of The Fertility Doctors At Shady Grove Fertility I Remember Whispering "Please Don't Let Me Get Dr. Kallen, He Sounds So Mean And Cold". I Scheduled My Consultation And Sure Enough I Was Assigned To Dr. Kallen. I Was So Worried But I Went In With An Optimistic Approach And Believed That Maybe All Of Those Negative Reviewers Had Him Wrong. In My Experience, He Is Very Straightforward, A Little Cold Or Serious, But When He's Being Sweet Or Warm You Have To Know How To Read It. I Met With Him Maybe 2-3 Times In Person; For The Consultation, For The OAR, & Finally For The Ultrasound To Check How Many Sacs After A BFP, And Once Over The Phone To Discuss Test Results. He Did Not Perform My IUI Which I Was Shocked To Find Out When 2 Women Walked Into The Room But I Understand He Can't Be Everywhere At Once. He Explained Everything As It Appeared And Let Me Know Whenever There Was A Small Moment Of Concern. Although He Seems Like He Could Use A Big Hug Or A Few Laughs, Dr. Kallen Was Exactly What Was Best For My Journey In The End.
Please Be Open-Minded With Dr. Kallen's Personality. He Shows His Warmth And Passion In Other Forms. Don't Expect For Him To Make You Laugh Or Smile But To Assist In Making Your Dreams Of A Family A Reality.
My Treatment Strategy Was A Natural IUI Cycle Using Donor Sperm From A Sperm Bank. I Had Recently Went Into Preterm Labor With Twins And Was No Longer Involved With The Father. I Did Various Forms Of Bloodwork, Dr. Kallen Checked Out My Egg Count, I Ordered 2 Vials From California Cryobank, I Checked Ovulation Using One Digital Ovulation Kit And Strips To Compare, Once I Got My LH Surge I Was Scheduled For My IUI The Next Morning, Started Vaginal Progesterone The Following Morning For Whatever Reason I Was Not Given An Explanation, Got My BFP 2 Weeks Later, SGF Checked That My HCG Levels Were Rising, And Then Brought Me In To Count The Sacs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I Only Have Positive Things To Say About Nurse Bonnie C. She Just Has This Warmth And Genuine Care For The Work That She Does, What It Means To Her Patients, And She's Overall A Very Happy And Uplifting Nurse. I Was Assigned To A Nurse Lindsay After Bonnie And We NEVER Met In Person, She Wasn't Knowledgeable About So Much I Felt Like I Was Her Nurse, And Was Relieved When She Said She Would No Longer Be Employed There But Her Patients Were Being Transferred To Another Nurse. Unfortunately, I Didn't Feel That The Next Nurse Was Reachable & Probably Spoke To Her Twice And Contacted By Others On Her Behalf Maybe 3-4 Times. I Would've Preferred Nurse Bonnie Throughout The Entire Process, She's A Spectacular Balance To Dr. Kallen's Dry Personality.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I Have Already Recommended My Best Friend And She Brought Up How She Was Treated Like A Number Or Dollar Sign From The Beginning After They Found Out Her Financial Status Which Is Complete Opposite Of My Own. The Clinic Shows Its Weakness In Delivering The Same Services To Those Of Various Financial Status. The Receptionist Needs To Seek Other Employment. She (Camille, I Believe Is Her Name) Gets Frustrated And Overwhelmed Easily And By Late Afternoon Her Fake Smile And Approach Is Rude And Snappy. The Clinic's Strengths Consist Of Cleanliness, Availability, Location, Nurse Bonnie's Bubbly Personality, And It's Appearance To Be LGBTQ "Friendly".
The Costs Was All Out Of Pocket For Me. It Was A Lot Cheaper Than I Expected. My Insurance Was Not Accepted. Discounts Not Really Explained Came In Handy. I Filled Out Paperwork With A Financial Counselor Of Sorts And NEVER HEARD FROM HER. She Is A Terrible! Doesn't Answer Phone Calls, Emails, Or Voicemails. The Sperm Donor Vials Were The Most Expensive From California Cryobank.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I Would Have Appreciated More Information As To Why I Was Put On Vaginal Progesterone The Morning After The IUI And Notified Before Beginning Of How Long I Was Supposed To Be Taking This Potentially Dangerous Medication. I Was Told And Planned With Dr. Kallen For A Natural Cycle. I Should Have Been Thoroughly Included On Why That Changed And How Long It Would Last To Find Out If I Was Comfortable With It And Was Aware Of The Risks And Side Effects.
Caleb Kallen