Medical SchoolU. of Florida
FellowshipVanderbilt
55 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
415-834-3095
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carl Herbert to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Pacific Fertility Center to a friend?
18 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Herbert answered my questions until I felt comfortable with the procedure, and he set realistic expectations on number of eggs to expect. There were a couple of times when he was robotic with his replies, but overall, I felt like I was tried as a person...explained what he was observing during the ultrasounds and when he was reviewing blood work in a clear way Weaknesses: Not warm and fuzzy, if that is important to you
18 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Strengths: Set realistic expectations on number of eggs expected; explained what he was observing during the ultrasounds and when he was reviewing blood work in a clear way Weaknesses: Not warm and fuzzy, if that is important to you
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
He is objective and clear, but not a cheerleader if that is what you need
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Carl Herbert used in your cycles at Pacific Fertility Center and their degree of success.
My protocol was the following: Follistim 200 IU for first 4 days Menopur 75 IU for first 4 days -- Ultrasound & estradiol test; medication adjusted Menopur 75 IU for 3 days Ganirelix Acetate 250 mcg for 3 days Follistim 225 IU for 3 days -- Ultrasound & estradiol test; medication continued Follistim 225 IU for 2 days Menopur 75 IU for 2 days Ganirelix Acetate 250 mcg for 2 days Retrieval injection for retrieval 36 hrs later
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Letty)
Nursing staff was great; they had a positive attitude and were friendly. Care coordinator was fine; she was initially annoyed with me because I had decided to start the egg freezing process at the last minute, so I had to rush order my medication.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Strength: Patient portal where test results and ultrasounds are available. At the initial stages, they offer phone consults. If you are uncomfortable with giving yourself injections, they can connect you with a nursing service that does it. Weakness: Parking can be difficult sometimes. They don't have specific support programs for single mothers.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center.
Medication costs were $2000-2500; doctor's services were $9000
Describe Carl Herbert's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Pacific Fertility Center.
San Francisco
Dr. Herbert has a very straightforward manner but I don't mind it. I still felt I could joke or cry with him. Anytime I had a question and arranged a phone call I felt he took time to answer my questions.... I did sort of feel just in that initial consult that some added sensitivity around me being there alone as a single person would have been nice. I only felt that way during the first appointment. In my subsequent calls or ultrasound appointments I don't recall feeling that way.
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Herbert has a very straightforward manner but I don't mind it. I still felt I could joke or cry with him. Anytime I had a question and arranged a phone call I felt he took time to answer my questions. Most notably, the month I was set to begin I was extremely sick and at my baseline ultrasound pretty upset because my follicle count was lower than it had been at my consult ultrasound. He explained my options to me (go for it or wait a month to see if the count would be better). As I became increasingly upset, I think he could see how devastated I was and suggested I wait/get better. It was most definitely a human moment. There was one instance that stung just a tad, but in the moment I called him on it and I truly believe there was no ill intention. During my consult when discussing options, he assumed and suggested at some point I would pick a sperm donor. I joked and reminded him that finding a future partner was still an option. I did sort of feel just in that initial consult that some added sensitivity around me being there alone as a single person would have been nice. I only felt that way during the first appointment. In my subsequent calls or ultrasound appointments I don't recall feeling that way.
It's a piece of advice I plan to use myself which is to understand more what my blood test numbers mean/meant. During my consult, my mid-cycle ultrasound provided a surprising number of follicles as compared to my blood tests. However once I began treatment it seems what I'm seeing is more in line with those test results. I now feel I have more questions and want a better understanding of all my options. Additionally, I would say if warm and fuzzy is what you're looking for as a patient this may not be the best fit.
It was suggested I take Vitamin D, a prenatal and Co-Q-10. I had a very bad reaction to Co-Q-10 and after playing with the dosage and timing, we just sort of agreed I was done with it. I was put on 300 Follistim and 150 Menopur. After an injection class, once I realized everyone was on different meds, I did call to inquire how these decisions get made. I would say I was not super clear on the answer and now that I'm in the cycle again wondering if different meds or doses would work better (questions I now plan to ask). It's too soon for me to comment on results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Katherine Porras)
Again, it's early for me .. but I can 100% speak confidently about Katherine Porras (RN) and Christina Johnson (MA). Both of these women have shown me extreme compassion and answered all my questions (I have a lot). As for Clinical Coordinator, Letty Semana is actually Dr. Herbert's Clinical Coordinator but I'm sorry to say I had a terrible experience with her and switched coordinators after just one phone call. Letty was not only terse with me, I truly felt as though my questions were a complete inconvenience to her. After hanging up the call, I cried. I remember thinking I am about to give them thousands and thousands of dollars, doesn't that give me the right to ask questions. I recall also thinking, perhaps if I went in person, the experience would be different (there are many steps along the way that can happen in person vs. on the phone). It was actually during my payment consult that I gently shared this experience and my disappointment. That's when I found out I could request a different coordinator. I asked who would be the kindest and most sensitive to the fact that I was doing this 100% alone as a single person. Laura Begay was suggested and I switched. Laura came through for me in some pretty big ways. After a fiasco with ordering meds and prices changing, she got permission to give me a couple of nights of donated meds. When I had to postpone my start because I was sick and was sobbing, she came and talked to me. Other times she helped arrange for me to come in when Dr. Herbert wasn't necessarily available but she helped squeeze me in. I'm glad I made the switch.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
It's a lovely facility. Clean and responsive. I did go for a weekend ultrasound and wasn't necessarily as impressed with some of the support staff but that might just be because I wasn't with my familiar nurse and medical assistant. I went to 3 injection classes (seriously) and thought Iris was awesome. I also really appreciated that I got one free session with a therapist on staff. Had Laura my clinical coordinator not mentioned that I wouldn't have known. I felt good information was provided at each step of the way, but I think I would have preferred or benefited from a thorough overview class too about what was going to happen along the way. I read the binder they give you and highlighted it but still there were some steps along the way I don't think I really understood (like that my follicle count could go down from baseline to next ultrasound).
More than $10,000 when you factor in medication. Between 8-9k not counting medication.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
he [Dr. Herbert] connected with me, wanted me to be successful, was completely honest about my odds and yet was rooting for me the entire time...He was also very compassionate and caring. He also thought outside of the box, learned from my first canceled cycle and was successful the second time. Where other doctors would have stopped he kept going and tried...is direct and to the pony. This may not be for everyone. I personally really liked it.
European, Latino
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Dr. Herbert is direct and to the pony. This may not be for everyone. I personally really liked it. He was also very compassionate and caring. He also thought outside of the box, learned from my first canceled cycle and was successful the second time. Where other doctors would have stopped he kept going and tried.
To be honest and to know that he will try his absolute best for you.
Because he connected with me, wanted me to be successful, was completely honest about my odds and yet was rooting for me the entire time.
below were drugs for my first cycle where I had a positive pregnancy, second cycle was the same minus the Letrozole. Both cycles we did extended stim an additional 7 days for a total of 20 days bc of my endometriosis. Medication SIG Quantity Refill Substitution Lupron MD (1:10 dilution) 50 mcg/0.1mL - Vial 1:10 Dilution (1mg/0.2mL), final conc 50 mcg/0.1 mL) Dispense 4 mL vial. Sig: Take 10 units BID as directed. 1 1 DAW Syringe 1/2 cc (U100) Insulin - - - - As directed. 22 1 DAW Follistim AQ Cartridge 300 IU - Injection As directed. 8 1 DAW Menopur w/ Q-cap vial adapters 75 IU - Vial As directed. 13 1 DAW Syringe 3cc 20g 1.5 in - - - - As directed. 14 1 DAW Needle 27g or 29g 0.5 in - - - - As directed. 12 1 DAW Needle 25g 1.5 in - - - - As directed. 2 1 DAW Sharps Container - - - - As directed. 1 0 DAW Letrozole 2.5 mg - Tablets 2 tab po on CD3 - 7 10 1
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kat and Marris)
Both Kat and Marris went above and beyond to care for me by checking in, offering emotional support, emails, phone calls, getting me free stim drugs bc my stim cycles were so long.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
PFC is very professional, organized and efficient. I loved my whole experience there! Everyone from the ladies who check you in, to the financial coordinators to the lab staff was excellent. They all went out of their way to help me.
With drugs a cycle was about $15,000 but that did not include genetic testing.
We did multiple embryo transfer for both. He let me make a decision I was comfortable with.
2012 - 2015
IUI, 1 IVF
Endometriosis, Unexplained
...On one hand I was relieved that I finally had a potential answer for all my recurrent miscarriages, but on the other hand I was astonished that I had seen almost every doctor at PFC (pacific fertility center) over the course of two years and not one of them thought to investigate my uterine cavity. During my sonogram at ucsf, she pointed out all the scar tissue on the screen, it's white and very easy to see even with my untrained eye. A hysteroscopy was performed at ucsf a few weeks after the initial diganosis and a post-op sonogram revealed virtually no scar tissue, again very easy to see the difference with my untrained eye. It seem
2012 - 2015
IUI, 1 IVF
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Again, mentioning his affability, he is very likable and an easy communicator. After a successful round of ivf with ccs, I had three frozen chromosomally normal eggs. We implanted one, I became pregnant, but no heartbeat at 7 weeks - having a dnc at week 8 - a few months later I implanted the next one, similar outcome. At this point, I had had 5 miscarriages, 7 pregnancies in 4 years.....with one naturally conceived easy live birth so I knew that I could carry to term. I had every blood test under the sun, always normal. I kept asking dr. herbert, 'is there anything that you can think of that would be causing these miscarriages?',...'should we check for anything else before we implant my last frozen egg?', His answer was fair for sure, 'could be anything, we never really know..let's do a medicated implantation this time' (more costly and time consuming for me) Before implanting my last egg, I sought a second option with ucsf, within one hour of meeting me they did a sonogram of my uterus and determined that I had a significant amount of scar tissue in my uterus due to all the pregnancies and dnc's over the last few years. Since I always miscarried around week 8, they determined that this was the most likely cause, the embryo simply couldn't grow any bigger. On one hand I was relieved that I finally had a potential answer for all my recurrent miscarriages, but on the other hand I was astonished that I had seen almost every doctor at PFC (pacific fertility center) over the course of two years and not one of them thought to investigate my uterine cavity. During my sonogram at ucsf, she pointed out all the scar tissue on the screen, it's white and very easy to see even with my untrained eye. A hysteroscopy was performed at ucsf a few weeks after the initial diganosis and a post-op sonogram revealed virtually no scar tissue, again very easy to see the difference with my untrained eye. It seems that an easy routine test in the form of a thorough sonogram could have prevented so much heartbreak, let alone time and money.
Be your own advocate
dr. herbert has a great bed side manner, he is very likable and charming, a great salesman if you will. I had 5 natural pregnancies in 3 years, including only one live birth and one down's syndrome termination, so he and I both felt that IVF would be very successful and it was it terms of egg's retrieved.
basic IVF, 12 days on meds, I responded well to meds and 17 eggs were retrieved. I should mention I was 41 at the time and exceeds all stats etc.
Nurses were all great, compassionate and communicated everything very well.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
First impressions are great at pfc, everyone is always prompt and informed, I think the nurse to patient ration always felt like 4 to 1. You can reach anyone at any time which is great for your first cycle, you have so many questions and concerns, calls/emails are always promptly returned. I loved the whole acupuncture option there as well, great to have. The docs do feel a bit rushed during the monitoring appointments and it's rare that your doctor performs your transfer or extraction, but i didn't think of this as a negative, the more docs I was exposed to and could ask questions I thought the better. My case was different that most, because I could get pregnant easily but would miscarry so I think my case required more investigative work and I don't think this PFC is the place for you if you have a complicated history of pregnancies/miscarriages etc
I think 25K for IVF plus meds plus another 3K to natera for genetics testing, implant 3K each times 2
2 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
He [Dr Herbert] has been in the field a long time and seems to know his stuff. I wish he would have been better at talking me through things and showing a bit more compassion throughout the process. Compared to other doctors, I think he did a good job during the ultrasounds. He didn't rush through them like many of the other doctors I saw and he was sure to show me each follicle and tell me how it was doing - this I really appreciated.
2 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
He has been in the field a long time and seems to know his stuff. I wish he would have been better at talking me through things and showing a bit more compassion throughout the process. Compared to other doctors, I think he did a good job during the ultrasounds. He didn't rush through them like many of the other doctors I saw and he was sure to show me each follicle and tell me how it was doing - this I really appreciated.
Don't go into it expecting him to cushion the blow. He is up front and realistic which can be good, but also hard for someone who may be emotional and having a hard time.
His bedside manner is not ideal, but also not terrible. During the process I felt the communication between the doctors office and myself was very poor and i often felt confused about what was going on. When I was one on one with Dr. Herbert during an appointment it was a bit better.
I wasn't given much explanation for the protocol used. I now now (only since I have been to another doctor) that he used the long protocol. I took estrogen pills before my cycle and then went on to menopur, follistim and ganirelix for about 9 days. My menopur was 150/night and follistim was around 350/night. He didn't explain there were different options so I assumed this was the only one. During my cycle he also upped my dosage and it wasn't clear why he did that.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Letty was my coordinator but i didnt have a specific nurse)
I thought my coordinator was very good. She walked me through all of the steps and always kept in touch with me when things changed and provided me with a detailed calendar after each visit. My experience with the nurses was not as great. There were several instances where there was a miscommunication and I always left my conversations with them feeling uncertain. I also had a terrible experience on the day of my retrieval. The nurse that got me set up and did my IV was obviously new and very nervous. She was vocal to me about how nervous she was and was literally shaking as she was trying to put my IV in. After the procedure she told me how many eggs they got my failed to tell me what they didnt know yet how many they could freeze. She also didnt tell me that a nurse would call me the next day to tell me how successful it was.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
The clinic itself is beautiful! Very quiet, clean and has amazing views. It is never too crowded so it is a nice place to sit and wait to be seen. All the staff in the office are professional and dress professionally.
my insurance didn't cover anything besides the initial visit so I paid for all ultrasounds as well as the procedure cost, Anastasia, and meds.
2010 - 2015
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
Endometriosis, Unexplained
I always wonder if we wasted by best embryos at PFC doing those fresh transfers. I wish he would have taken more time to consider what I was saying...I think if you are not successful with a protocol or a doctor, ask them to change things.
2010 - 2015
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
I liked Dr. Herbert in general, he was kind and friendly enough. But I would say the warmest/most compassionate doctor in the practice is Schrioc. He proably has the best bedside manner/warmth. Over the course of the many years I was at PFC, I had appointments with all of the doctors, as they cover for each other for u/s and all the way to retrievals and transfers. Dr. Herbert would get on the phone and answer questions and was responsive. It's looking back that I'm not sure he was as creative with treating my infertility. I had 3 retrievals and many transfers there - and don't think there were very many changes to my protocol. That being said, when I asked for some things, for example, for them to let all of my embryos "have a chance" and grow them out and freeze them, even if they were low quality, he let me. He let me transfer them too. Those "bad" embryos at least got me pregnant, though I did miscarry. My current clinic would not have frozen or transferred those low quality embryos. The fact that Dr. Herbert did and I got pregnant, gave me hope to continue - as that was my first pregnancy ever. Had my 1st round of IVF not produced a pregnancy at all, I think we would have quit. So bottom line, I found him more open to listening to my wishes, in that sense and letting me decide. I think that was a good thing. On the other hand, I did bring up a concern with transferring fresh embryos when I am an endometrios patient (a disease that flares up with hormones). He wasn't very open to exploring this and we continued to transfer my best embryos in fresh transfers. My current clinic said they would not have done this with me, full of stim meds. In fact, the trend overall now, is to mostly do FETs. I always wonder if we wasted by best embryos at PFC doing those fresh transfers. I wish he would have taken more time to consider what I was saying.
I think if you are not successful with a protocal or a doctor, ask them to change things. They should learn from the data they have on your cycles. I would also ask them for their success rates with people similar to you. PFC is a big enough clinic now that nothing should be completely new to them. If it is - I would find another clinic. You don't want to be any clinic's guinea pig.
When I first started at PFC, they weren't very patient-centric. I was learning all of this new terminology and how everything worked - and had to be the translater between their different departments (that didn't talk to one another). This was a tremendous stress and burdent on me as a new patients - to check their work and keep them on track, when there was no way for me to know their process or even the fertility process for that matter. I made suggestions, and others must have complained too - b/c they then established teams for each doctor. So you would work with the same group who knew you and your treatment plan. This was a big improvement. And once I got a great nurse, it was much, much better. Though I am no longer with PFC, I have still had occasion to reach out to my nurse at PFC for updates and very rarely, some advice. That tipped the scales to feeling more "human".
Too long ago and too many to remember specifically. I know I used Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide. My FETs were (mostly) unmedicated. I got 15 eggs on two rounds, 17 on another. So not a lot of variance there. We tended to have about an 80% fertilization rate. My embryos didn't do well between day 3 and 5 in the lab, so for my 2nd and 3rd round we froze on day 3. I had a few pregnancies, and all ended in m/c - some early and one 2nd trimester. No living children to date.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Marris)
As mentioned before, once they established teams, things were WAY better. Then you had one person managing and overseeing the whole process. Marris was my primary contact and I think she went above and beyond for me many times. She advocated for me, she showed tremendous compassion during the tough times and losses. She became almost a friend and I feel she shared things with me about personal experiences to help me on my journey. I felt extremely luck to have her. She was always responsive, never left me hanging or waiting for important results. I had other nurses where I had to check their work and make sure they got my prescriptions right, for example. I could really trust Marris. She is no longer in the same role, as far as I know, she is now a retrieval nurse. I'm sure she is wonderful there too, but is no longer the day-to-day contact for patients, which is a loss for PFC patients!
In 2010, I think IUIs were roughly $2,000 plus meds. For our second & third ERs we did a plan that allowed you to do two ERs if you didn't get pregnant, at a slight discount. That was in the mid-$20,000 range - drugs, monitoring and additional transfers were all in addition to that.
2007 - 2011
IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
Open minded, kind and professional are qualities I would ascrbe to Dr Herbert. ... It was gratifying that he was willing to use a new procedure that limited or most injections and relies instead on vaginal suppositories and oral meds to prep me as the recipient of the donor egg. This was an approach that has been very successful in the UK and I wanted to try it and avoid all the injections. It worked! Herbert had no ego around holding on to his own approach but did his own research and went forward with me in this novel approach with great success.
2007 - 2011
IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
Open minded, kind and professional are qualities I would ascrbe to Dr Herbert. He was recommended to us by a very happy former patient and her faith in him was borne out. We were very happy with him. It was gratifying that he was willing to use a new procedure that limited or most injections and relies instead on vaginal suppositories and oral meds to prep me as the recipient of the donor egg. This was an approach that has been very successful in the UK and I wanted to try it and avoid all the injections. It worked! Herbert had no ego around holding on to his own approach but did his own research and went forward with me in this novel approach with great success.
If you are using a donor egg ask him about approaching it using suppositories vs injections!!!
He listened closely to my concerns and worked with me to develop a new protocol and approach based on research I did. He was willing to do it my way and was flexible and open .
See previous comments and implant one embryo only.
Don’t remember
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Really liked working with the donor coordinator at the time and she helped us arrange a meeting with the donor which she facilitated. Process was seamless. Cannot remember any problems that stand out.
I don’t recall in detail. It’s been a while!
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Pros: Very experienced doctor cares about his patients, knows all the most modern techniques. Dr. Herbert answers all the questions and concerns, even if you have tons of them. He is physically very respectful and doesn't make you feel physically embarrassed. Cons: Can be arrogant, his jokes don't always come at a good moment and can be insensitive...Dr. Herbert know me and my husband personally, he truly cared about us and remembered our history (personal and medical), he even helped us with postnatal questions regarding post-pregnancy complications
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Endometriosis, Male Factor
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
He is old school in his style so bare with him. Don't hesitate to ask any questions until you feel you understand it all.
Dr. Herbert know me and my husband personally, he truly cared about us and remembered our history (personal and medical), he even helped us with postnatal questions regarding post-pregnancy complications.
ICSI was suggested due to low sperm count. I had an endo cyst in my ovary so we went for 5 days genetically tested embryos to increase chances of conceiving quickly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Pacific Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Kat)
All of the staff at PFC was absolutely amazing. Caring, professional, friendly, organized, I don't have a single bad thing to say about them, only praise.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
Pros: clean, organized, easy to reach, friendly and compassionate staff, most of the procedures are done in-house including blood draws if needed, can be reached 24 hours. No weaknesses, really great.
$30000
He recommended SET
3 IUI, IVF
I think he [Dr. Herbert] has excellent bedside manner. I've felt his compassion for my situation and his desire to help. He is a very clear communicator. However, during some of my appointments I have felt rushed at times, like there isn't enough time for me to ask questions...He is kind, humorous, and comforting each time I see him. He is clear and straightforward in his responses and explains things in detail...
European, Black or African-American
3 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Carl Herbert at Pacific Fertility Center?
I think he has excellent bedside manner. I've felt his compassion for my situation and his desire to help. He is a very clear communicator. However, during some of my appointments I have felt rushed at times, like there isn't enough time for me to ask questions.
Don't be afraid to ask questions even if they seem obvious. It's the doctors job to explain things thoroughly and in a way you can understand.
The nursing staff is excellent! I have felt very comfortable with all the nurses. They always wait and make sure you don't have anymore questions and explain things in detail.
Describe your experience with Pacific Fertility Center.
It is easy to get an appointment once you are under a doctor's care. You never wait long for your appointment. The facilities are well kept and comfortable with beautiful views of the bay.
approximately 20,000
San Francisco
He [Dr Herbert] was genuine and caring. Strengths: efficient, kind, excellent education Weakness: IVF doesn't work for everyone!
He was genuine and caring. Strengths: efficient, kind, excellent education Weakness: IVF doesn't work for everyone!