5.4

Four Bellows Road
Westborough, MA 01580
800 858-4832

2016, Unknown Success
We had no interaction with Dr. DiGirolamo throughout the entire process after we decided to go with her and everything was through the nurses. Dr. DiGirolamo happened to be the scheduled doctor on the day of my egg retrieval (IVF New England does rotation). She was in the waiting area where all patients were while she awaited for her first retrieval to start but did not come by to say hi or acknowledge that I was her patient (I was the 3rd or 4th one).
During my entire treatment, we only saw/spoke with Dr. Carla 3 times during the entire process. I raised concerns about the low # of follicles during the injection to the nurse [at IVF New England] since we did not have any interaction with the doctor directly; however, my med dosage was not adjusted. Prior to the treatment, there was no issue (on paper or blood result) about my egg quality as all along I was told it was a male infertility factor. I was surprised that I only had 5 eggs retrieved. I am currently pregnant and looking forward to the baby arrival. When I was confirmed that I was pregnant (through day 14 bloodwork and week 7 ultrasound), there was no personal phone call from the doctor to congratulate me.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
When we met with Dr. Carla the first time, she was very warm and explained things to us in details and made us comfortable. We were actually shopping for fertility doctor at the time and decided to go with Dr. DiGirolamo since she was able to start the process right away (and we got the appointment with her within 3 days meanwhile the original RE doctor that my OB doctor recommended did not have any appointment for 2 months). However, we had no interaction with Dr. DiGirolamo throughout the entire process after we decided to go with her and everything was through the nurses. Dr. DiGirolamo happened to be the scheduled doctor on the day of my egg retrieval (IVF New England does rotation). She was in the waiting area where all patients were while she awaited for her first retrieval to start but did not come by to say hi or acknowledge that I was her patient (I was the 3rd or 4th one).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. DiGirolamo gets the job done. At the end, I did get pregnant and have a healthy baby. Don't expect Dr. DiGirolamo to connect with you at the personal level or spend the time to listen to your needs/concerns. Dr. DiGirolamo does have a great nurse team and they work very efficiently.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
During my entire treatment, we only saw/spoke with Dr. Carla 3 times during the entire process. I raised concerns about the low # of follicles during the injection to the nurse since we did not have any interaction with the doctor directly; however, my med dosage was not adjusted. Prior to the treatment, there was no issue (on paper or blood result) about my egg quality as all along I was told it was a male infertility factor. I was surprised that I only had 5 eggs retrieved. I am currently pregnant and looking forward to the baby arrival. When I was confirmed that I was pregnant (through day 14 bloodwork and week 7 ultrasound), there was no personal phone call from the doctor to congratulate me.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
It was explained to me that because it was male infertility factor, I must go through IVF process with the egg retrieval and embryo implementation. I was on birth control pill (i did not understand why I was on the bcp when my period has always been very regular but did not question since I thought everyone needed to be on it as part of the process. I later asked my friend who also went through IVF treatment and she said her wasn't on the bcp), I was then on menopur and follistim on the first day of my period. On day 5 was my first ultrasound and learned that I had 2 follicles that were larger than 10mm. There was no increase in dosage through the entire process even though I had expressed my concern as the # of follicles remained low for the next few ultrasound. I was told that as long as I have at least 3 follicles that were larger than 10mm, my retrieval would not be cancelled. But I was hoping to have more eggs so that I could save some for the second baby. I am not sure if increasing would have helped with getting more follicles but it would have been nice to the doctor adjusted the treatment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
There are total of 3 nurses on the nurse team that I normally worked with. They are very friendly and do get back to me in a reasonable time whenever i left a message. They ordered the medicine timely and provided the instruction including the calendar. I did not know how to inject myself but the nurse told me to youtube as the links that they provided did not work.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic is very efficient. You know exactly where to go (for blood work and ultrasound). They get you in and out quickly and I hardly ever had to wait past my appointment time. The hours are very flexible. They open early in the morning and weekends which made it convenient for me since I did not need to miss any work. I would suggest them to change the process for people who brings the sperm. I remember on the day I had to bring my husband's sperm to the clinic immediately after he had surgery, there were 2 other people ahead of me in line and it took a long time for the receptionist to address their questions. Before the surgery, I specifically asked where I should bring the sperm. The nurse told me that I needed to bring the sperm to the receptionist and she would take care of it. They should have told me to bring it to the second floor where the lab is located so that I did not have to wait in line for another 15 minutes to speak with the receptionist. I was so nervous since I was told sperm would survive with 1 hour after retrieval and it took 20 minutes drive to the clinic. Even at the lab, I still had to wait for the lab technician to come out and meet me. They should improve this process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
My insurance covers all the costs. All I had to pay was the co-payment for the appointments and medicine. However, I had to pay genetic testing as well as my husband's sperm storage and analysis before receiving the procedures. IVF New England would not submit claims to my insurance for these. I submitted the claims to my insurance in early 2016. Because the contract my insurance has with IVF New England, they paid IVF New England as well. Due to some kind of policies, neither party could refund me the money directly and ask other to pay me back for the money I paid to IVF New England. It's now January 2017, I still do not have the money.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?

2014 - 2015, Successful
She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] was informative, knowledgeable and easy to understand. In the end I have my sweet son. However she misdiagnosed an infection as a cyst. The result of which lead to a long period of extreme pain while I saw doctor after doctor trying to find the cause before finally resulting in the loss of my left ovary and Fallopian tube. Not to mention the months and months wasted while she waited to see if the "cyst" would go away on it's own. Strongly feel as though I went to them to get pregnant. They triggered an infection during one of their infertility diagnostic tests, then let that infection get to the point that I lost half my reproductive organs. Not a good feeling!
I had no issues with the monitoring appointments [at Fertility Centers of NE]. They start very early in the morning so that helps with getting in and out and then to work on time. However it makes it hard if you're trying for a second child and live a distance away to make it all work.... Be careful not to get lost in their system. You must stay on top of them and make sure you're getting what they recommend. Plan to call multiple times to follow up. Expect them to schedule appointments just to make further appointments with what seems like something they could have told you on a 2 minute phone conversation.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Fertility Centers of New England?
She was informative, knowledgeable and easy to understand. In the end I have my sweet son. However she misdiagnosed an infection as a cyst. The result of which lead to a long period of extreme pain while I saw doctor after doctor trying to find the cause before finally resulting in the loss of my left ovary and Fallopian tube. Not to mention the months and months wasted while she waited to see if the "cyst" would go away on it's own. Strongly feel as though I went to them to get pregnant. They triggered an infection during one of their infertility diagnostic tests, then let that infection get to the point that I lost half my reproductive organs. Not a good feeling!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Fertility Centers of New England?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Fertility Centers of New England?
I felt "lost in the system" and like my issues had "slipped through the cracks" on more than one occasion. Major mistakes were made.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Fertility Centers of New England and their degree of success.
Can't remember the specifics. It was shots in the tummy, shots in the rear, estrogen patches, progesterone ... On my frozen embryo transfer, the first attempt was postponed because of early ovulation, started 20 units lupron & 1 baby asprin every night for 10 days. Day 9 was told estrogen level was low, added pill insertion to meds. Then it was 2 estridoil pills morning, noon & night and then 1ML shot of Progesterone at night starting on embryo transfer day and continuing through the first 10 weeks of pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Fertility Centers of New England.
The nursing staff were all nice. No issues.
Describe your experience with Fertility Centers of New England.
I got lost in their system. Their seemed to be a breakdown between their billing dept and insurance company and the doctor. Resulting in me waiting UNNECESSARILY for I think it was about 6-8 months for my birthday to begin treatment, per Emily in their billing dept. only for the Doctor to tell me that was a mistake on the billing persons part and we could have started sooner.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Fertility Centers of New England.
I had no issues with the monitoring appointments. They start very early in the morning so that helps with getting in and out and then to work on time. However it makes it hard if you're trying for a second child and live a distance away to make it all work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Fertility Centers of New England.
Very reasonable as my health insurance covered the treatment aside from co-pays.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Fertility Centers of New England.
I think she leans towards transferring one, though it probably depends on the patient and situation. She was informative about the risks associated with multiples.
What specific things went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Fertility Centers of New England.
I already covered most of the major issues in previous comments. I don't care to re-write everything
Fertility Centers of New England
Westborough

2014, Unsuccessful
Wished she did the following: 1. Cared more about me as a patient. 2. Shown that she cared by responding to phone calls instead of making patients wait for an office visit. 3. Listened to what patients have researched and used that information to help put it into practice...I felt I was treated like a number because anytime that I wanted to speak with Dr. DiGirolamo, I had to go in for an office visit. After failed IVFs cycles with Dr. DiGirolamo, I did a lot of research on my own and had suggested using the information I found. She was not open to it. With this same information, I worked with another doctor at New England IVF and was successful on the first try.
There are some great doctors at New England IVF. Do your research on who you'd like to work with because it does make a difference. It is an emotional time and you'll need the support...Strength: Very well organized, the doctors and nurses are specialized in their areas. They do respect your privacy. Weakness: Hard to reach doctor directly. Had to go through the nurses and can take a couple of days before doctor contacted you back. However, this may be doctor specific.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
There are other doctors at New England IVF.
Three different protocols. Mainly to stimulate to obtain the most amount of eggs that can be retrieved.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were very organized and supportive. They showed compassion and tried to answer your questions.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Each IVF cycle was around $20K.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.