5.4

Westborough
Four Bellows Road
Westborough, MA 01580
800 858-4832

Dr. DiGirolamo was very informative, straightforward, and matter of fact. She was compassionate and empathized with us, but focused discussions on the treatment. My husband likes numbers, facts, statistics, and focusing on the problem at hand while I prefer doctors who are friendly and make me feel like I matter. Despite these differences in preference, my husband and I both really liked Dr. DiGirolamo. She frequently let my husband and I discuss our options while she just listened quietly. She wouldn't interrupt us unless we asked her a question or she had relevant information to add. Also, she never tried to push us toward one treatment or option. She simply gave us the facts and let us make our own decision.
A strength of the clinic [Boston IVF] is that it seemed to be pretty state of the art and technically advanced (although I don't know how it actually compares to others). The clinic also felt professional and like a well-oiled machine (which can be a pro and a con)...There were maybe 2 or 3 people on the nursing staff that I dealt with frequently and then another 3 to 6 people I dealt with just once or twice. It was hard to keep them all straight. They were generally friendly and informative. My only way to contact them was by phone and they didn't always pick up, so that was annoying
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Make sure you write down your questions beforehand and ask everything you want to know more about. Sometimes she seems a bit rushed, but she will always take time to answer all of your questions and explain anything you don't understand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
The doctor gave us the information we needed to make decisions and was not judgmental. She empathized and answered all of our questions. She did seem a tiny bit rushed at times.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I did 2 rounds of IVF. The first cycle I used birth control pills for a month and then I think I did Lupron and Gonal-F injections once a day. The first cycle, many of the eggs retrieved were immature. Only a few embryos made it to Day 3 and we got a negative pregnancy test. Because of the low number of mature eggs, she changed my protocol for the second cycle. The second cycle I did not use birth control pills (she said it would suppress me too much). I forget what meds I used. During the stimulation period I had to do a micro-dose injection twice a day (Lupron?) and another injection (Gonal-F) once a day. I also had to wait a few hours longer between my trigger and retrieval than the first time, to let my eggs fully mature. I am now 14-weeks pregnant with a single baby.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
There were maybe 2 or 3 people on the nursing staff that I dealt with frequently and then another 3 to 6 people I dealt with just once or twice. It was hard to keep them all straight. They were generally friendly and informative. My only way to contact them was by phone and they didn't always pick up, so that was annoying, especially since infertility patients often have questions and are worried about everything. When I got a call about the test results (the negative and later the positive pregnancy test), the nurse who called with the news seemed genuinely disappointed/excited for me.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I think the clinic recently changed ownership and their policies and procedures have changed for the worse. I had 2 IVF cycles (2 retrievals, 2 transfers), one in late 2016 and the other in early 2017. The first retrieval/transfer felt much more patient friendly than the second one. For the second retrieval, I felt much more like I was a number and they were trying to rush me out of there. An example is the first time they let me stay as long as I needed to recover and made sure I could pee before I left. The second time they got me out the door soon afterwards. The first time they had snacks in the waiting room and let me eat and drink as much as I wanted during recovery. The second time they still gave me a snack, but it was much more limited. They also used to have water and snacks in the waiting room for transfers and retrievals, but they didn't the second time I went. There wasn't even a pitcher of water in the waiting room anymore (which seemed silly since you're supposed to drink lots of water before a transfer). There were lots of little changes like these that felt like they were just trying to save money and made me feel like a number instead of a person. None of these things were deal breakers for me or that big of a deal, but it was disappointing to see these kinds of changes. A strength of the clinic is that it seemed to be pretty state of the art and technically advanced (although I don't know how it actually compares to others). The clinic also felt professional and like a well-oiled machine (which can be a pro and a con).
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
The monitoring appointments were conveniently scheduled in the morning, so I could go before work (I think the hours were 6-9AM). It was kind of confusing how they scheduled the appointment times. They asked you to schedule a specific time, but then it was mostly just first come first served. It seemed like they didn't really care what time you were there during that window. For ultrasound appointments they seemed a bit more strict about the appointments and schedule. The blood work was kind of a free for all (first come first serve). Most of the time I only had to wait a few minutes (less than 10) to do the monitoring. Two or three times I had to wait for about an hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
For each IVF cycle, the clinic charged $9000. My other costs (appointments, genetic testing, infertility testing, etc.) were a total of about $300 after my insurance coverage.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
My doctor did not say much of anything about this issue. I had done a great deal of research about it beforehand, on my own, and was strongly in favor of doing a single transfer. Maybe the doctor didn't discuss it with us because it was clear we understood the pros and cons. At one point my husband and I disagreed and looked to her to provide her medical advice (or to act as the tiebreaker), and she mentioned the pros and cons but said it was entirely up to us. We did decide to do a single transfer both times, but I wish she had been a bit more insistent about the importance of doing a single transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
For one cycle, they forgot to call me and tell me some important, time-critical test results. If I remember correctly, it was Day 2 and I needed to know if I was going in for a Day 3 or Day 5 transfer. No one called me all day. The paper instructions they gave me said to call a certain number if I hadn't heard anything by 6 PM. I called that number at 6:15, and an answering service person told me it was after hours and I would have to call back the next day. After arguing with the answering service person for a while, she finally let me talk to the on-call doctor. That doctor looked up my information and gave me the next instructions I needed for my treatment. The issue was resolved, but brought me to tears and added a lot of stress and anxiety to an already very stressful time.
Boston

2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr. DiGirolamo met with us a number of times at the start of each cycle to talk through the process and listen to our concerns. There were times when it was hard to get a 'straight answer', especially after failed cycles - everything seem to be generalized as egg quality or not 'viable' - but I also understand that she can't explain exactly why the cycle failed. After visits with the doctor we would meet with the nurse to go over the instructions for the start of the cycle. Once we started, we didn't see the doctor again; just talked to the nurse with instructions after U/S and bloodwork...
[IVF New England - Lex] Front desk staff is very friendly and gets to know you over your visits. The phlebotemists and Ultrasound technicians couldn't be nicer. They are all friendly and welcoming - and this is a big plus because these are the people you see throughout your cycle face to face - not the nurse and not the doctor. I feel comfortable there - more than at any other doctor's office. The same can be said about the staff for egg retrieval - very nice/friendly/compassionate with you - especially if you are nervous for each egg retrieval like I am.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr DiGirolamo met with us a number of times at the start of each cycle to talk through the process and listen to our concerns. There were times when it was hard to get a 'straight answer', especially after failed cycles - everything seem to be generalized as egg quality or not 'viable' - but I also understand that she can't explain exactly why the cycle failed. After visits with the doctor we would meet with the nurse to go over the instructions for the start of the cycle. Once we started, we didn't see the doctor again; just talked to the nurse with instructions after U/S and bloodwork
I would give this for any doctor: the process is overwhelming and even if you think you asked everything and understood anything when walking out the door, make sure to leave the door open for follow up questions or to repeat information. Ask the doctor what is the best way to contact them or their nurses for these types of questions
She seemed genuine in giving us advice and telling us the process
strong protocol with stimulation medication to help with low reserve
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Negative: Some of the nurses would be short with you if you asked questions or when explaining your instructions - probably because they repeat themselves a number of times a day - but depending on who called you, it could be annoying. Also, they were hard to get a hold of. If I called, I never had anyone answer live...I always had to leave a voicemail and wait for a call back. Not everything is explained in detail. I recently did a cycle where it was a freeze all due to genetic testing. They kept telling me to call when I got my period after the retrieval - but didn't indicate why. I didn't ask (so that's on me) but assumed they just needed to track it. When I got my period and called, they said I would need to go on the pill - and the reason for that was because I was still waiting for financial approval of the frozen cycle and they need to control my period. Not a big deal, but I thought it was weird that this was not explained to me previously. I think overall it boils down to - they same the same thing, more or less - to probably 20 or more patients a day - so sometimes you can tell they want to just spit out the instructions and be done. Positive: while some of the nurses were bitchy, some were really nice, patient and tried to help. There was one time when my medication order got messed up with my insurance and the nurse worked with for a few hours trying to fix it. While I said all that 'negative' stuff, 8 times out of 10 I got a really nice nurse.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
I'm unsure as my insurance covered about 90%. I think each cycle - with a fresh transfer cost around $9000
Lexington

Dr. DiGirolamo is a good communicator who offers helpful explanations and spoke to me at my level (I am a healthcare provider). She took the time to explain the issues I was facing and her recommendations for a plan...I felt listened to and that my specific concerns and questions were addressed....I only recently underwent testing to determine my ovarian reserve, hormone levels, etc. I have only had one cycle of IUI so far.
The clinic [Boston IVF] seems very organized and communicates very well and effectively with patients. I always get a person on the phone when I call, L and when I’ve had to leave messages I get called back quickly. Their website is a little bit confusing, but nothing unmanageable...The nurses were friendly, warm, organized, and informative...I felt listened to and that my specific concerns and questions were addressed.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. DiGirolamo is a good communicator who offers helpful explanations and spoke to me at my level (I am a healthcare provider). She took the time to explain the issues I was facing and her recommendations for a plan. I am still undergoing treatment.
Write down all of your questions in advance so you remember everything you want to ask her.
I felt listened to and that my specific concerns and questions were addressed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were friendly, warm, organized, and informative.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic seems very organized and communicates very well and effectively with patients. I always get a person on the phone when I call, L and when I’ve had to leave messages I get called back quickly. Their website is a little bit confusing, but nothing unmanageable.
The costs were covered by insurance after I met my deductible. The cost seemed reasonable compared to other fertility clinics.
I don’t have a comment on this.
Waltham

2012 - 2015, Successful
The doctor [Dr. DiGirolamo] took time to answer all my questions, and the nursing staff did too. Most of the interaction through the cycle is with the nursing team, so that's important. Although, it does feel a little weird not interfacing with the doctor more.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She is very professional and knowledgable. She is nice, but a little more on the business end of the scale than the nurturing end. She takes time to answer questions and go through the details of procedures and potential outcomes. After a setback, she asked about how I was feeling emotionally before moving on to what's next.
Go in with questions written down beforehand. And don't be afraid to ask more while you're there.
I felt pretty well taken care of. The doctor took time to answer all my questions, and the nursing staff did too. Most of the interaction through the cycle is with the nursing team, so that's important. Although, it does feel a little weird not interfacing with the doctor more.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nuring staff is in "teams" so there are a few different nurses you'll interact with over the course of treatment. They are all nice and knowledgable. Never had an issue with un-returned calls from the nursing team.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
I scheduled an appointment with my doctor, and when I checked in, they had the appointment scheduled for a different location (which I had never been to). I was still able to see the doctor, not sure how they did it, but with a little extra wait that day it was resolved.