5.4

Four Bellows Road
Westborough, MA 01580
800 858-4832

2013 - 2018, Successful
My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI [with Dr. Carla DiGirolamo]...answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly...I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Digirolomo. She gave me a beautiful daughter, and now my husband and I are trusting her again with an IVF cycle. She is the most compassionate woman who is solid with her knowledge of fertility treatments and all of the above. She rocks!
I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that [at Boston IVF]...Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her...The staff are excellent and are always very nice...Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Be patient and ask lots of questions. I never felt guilty or uncomfortable asking questions or calling back for clarification because I was never made to feel like that. They want you to have the tools and knowledge to make decisions and going to Boston IVF has been the best decision for my family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. D answered all of my questions and I never felt rushed. She has so much compassion and knowledge that my husband and I trust her implicitly.
Describe the protocols Carla DiGirolamo used in your cycles at Boston IVF and their degree of success.
I started with IUI and we were ecstatic to find out that it took on the second cycle without medication. My husband's sperms motility was low which is why we started with IUI. We waited a few years, dealt with a job loss and a stressful moment in our lives but got back on the horse so to speak. I have had a couple of setbacks and will be going to have a polyp removed to start IVF, but I couldn't be more thankful to have Dr. D and her team helping me through it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bryna)
Bryna is a wonderful nurse. I absolutely love talking to her.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The staff are excellent and are always very nice. The two things I would recommend are to have a direct number for the team and have the main number go on before 9 am. Patients like the flexibility to have lab work done early but if they run into problems (paperwork not faxed) there isn't a way to reach anyone. That has happened to me more than once and it's very frustrating especially when you are having timed blood work and ultrasounds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF.
We had it covered by insurance.
Boston

We saw Carla [DiGirolamo] for a second opinion after we had 4 failed IVF ICSI treatments with our first doctor. She was completely upfront with us from the moment we walked in the door. She explained that with our male factor issue that the best possible way to have a baby was to do the out of pocket PGS testing....She chose to put me on 2mg of estrace and baby aspirin daily leading up to my retreival. I was also on crinone afterwards. I dont recall my trigger shot. My egg was frozen for PGS testing and we transferred the one good egg about a month after the tests came back.
The nice thing about the Westborough office [Boston IVF] is how small it is. There isn't a lot of people there in the AM for blood or ultrasound and this make the wait shorter. It feels a little less like a doctors office.... Everyone I worked with was excellent. After years of treatments, my veins were weak and they always had trouble getting one, but we worked through it together. They were gentle and always made sure I was doing okay.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
We saw Carla for a second opinion after we had 4 failed IVF ICSI treatments with our first doctor. She was completely upfront with us from the moment we walked in the door. She explained that with our male factor issue that the best possible way to have a baby was to do the out of pocket PGS testing. We agreed and we finally have our miracle baby! Carla was amazing, she explained everything to us and answered every question we had along the way.
Ask all the questions you want to know, she will be honest and explain them to you.
She was honest with us and made us feel like we were there to create a human life and not just a patient of hers. She was kind, and always happy to see us, especially when she told us the results of our PGS results.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The nice thing about the Westborough office is how small it is. There isn't a lot of people there in the AM for blood or ultrasound and this make the wait shorter. It feels a little less like a doctors office.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Boston IVF.
As stated in a previous response, monitoring was easy here. The clinic is small so the wait was usually short. The nurses were kind and never seemed to feel rushed.
We were lucky enough to have insurance pay for most of our treatments. So I don't recall the numbers.
Describe Carla DiGirolamo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Boston IVF.
We didn't have a choice. I only had one egg survive.
Waltham
From the get go, Dr. DiGirolamo was very warm, honest and straight forward. She spent a lot of time with my husband and I during our initial appointments, answering all of our questions and talking through our miscarriages and test results...Dr. D was very straight forward with us and told us IVF was pretty much our only option to ensure a successful pregnancy. It took a little while longer than I expected to get everything started but once we did it was very structured and disciplined.
The nurses [at IVF New England] were amazing. They were very nice/warm/kind and thorough. They were available to me 24/7 and were always able to answer my questions...I showed up for one appointment for bloodwork and ultrasound that wasn't in the queue. They called the nurses right away and got me on the schedule.I only had to wait an extra ten minutes. Nothing really went wrong and everyone was apologetic and got me in just fine.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
From the get go, Dr. DiGirolamo was very warm, honest and straight forward. She spent a lot of time with my husband and I during our initial appointments, answering all of our questions and talking through our miscarriages and test results. For one appointment we had to bring our 3 year old son and she was very accommodating. Infertility makes anyone vulnerable and anxious and I felt comfortable with her from day 1. Unfortunately, during my retrieval (performed by another dr) a blood vessel was nicked and I had internal bleeding in my abdomen. I went to the ER and had to be admitted into the hospital. During this time Dr. D was on vacation so another doctor called to check in on me. When Dr. D returned from vacation she called me right away even though we had an appointment scheduled for a few days later. I never felt like a number and always felt like she saw me as a person.
Take advantage of your time with her. Be honest about your anxieties/questions/history etc.
My husband and I have a three year old son who was conceived very effortlessly. Once we started trying again we had two consecutive miscarriages. To me this was very very confusing. Our trouble wasn't in getting pregnant, but staying pregnant. I went into this with an open mind but also didn't think we would need to do IVF. Dr. D was very straight forward with us and told us IVF was pretty much our only option to ensure a successful pregnancy. It took a little while longer than I expected to get everything started but once we did it was very structured and disciplined. I started with birth control to calm my ovaries, prevent clotting and regulate my cycle. From there we moved onto injectible hormones and I was doing three by the end of it. I know menopur was one but I forget the other two. The shots weren't as bad as I thought and I ended up doing them on my own in my abdomen. After the retrieval I went back on birth control after I got my period and then I started with the estradiol and baby aspirin (adult low dose aspirin) until day 15 when I started the progesterone cream.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were amazing. They were very nice/warm/kind and thorough. They were available to me 24/7 and were always able to answer my questions. As I mentioned I had a complication after my retrieval and a nurse called me pretty much daily to check in afterwards. I have only good things to say about her nursing team.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone was wonderful, friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.
We are very fortunate and only had to pay for the PGS testing and medication co-payment + dr. visit co pays.
What specific things went wrong at Boston IVF?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Boston IVF.
Westborough
Dr. DiGirolamo wanted to put me on birth control to regulate my cycles. I was against that, since I had been on for 18 years. Instead, she put me on an estradiol and prometrium protocol. After 5 months of that, we started IUI cycles...The dosage of Menopur started at a lower dosage to see how I responded to it, and increased as each cycle progressed. After the first two IUIs, she increased my medication dosage for the third and fourth cycles. The fourth cycle finally worked, and we are expecting a little girl later this year.
Whenever I called [IVF New England], I got the answers I needed. The billing took a while at times (more than a month), but not a deal breaker. The only challenge was during my last cycle, they were in the process of moving facilities and my doctor was moving to another location...Many of Dr. DiGirolamo's staff was great. From the nursing team, to ultrasound techs, to her administrative assistant - everyone was great.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr. DiGirolamo was straight-forward and honest about our situation and options. She was not overly "warm and fuzzy" - but that was fine with me. She was willing to try a course of treatment with us that the first doctor we saw did not offer. She gave us hope.
She is very patient! She answered all of our questions with patience and kindness. She was honest with us, and I appreciated this so much.
She was straight-forward with our situation and treatment options. She said that while many doctors would not try IUI with us, she wanted to make sure we tried all options before having to make a more significant decision (like using donor eggs). I appreciated her candid nature and honesty.
At first, my FSH was very high, and my cycles were irregular. Dr. DiGirolamo wanted to put me on birth control to regulate my cycles. I was against that, since I had been on for 18 years. Instead, she put me on an estradiol and prometrium protocol. After 5 months of that, we started IUI cycles. We used injectible meds (Menopur), Ovidrel trigger shot, and Crinone gel and estrogen patches post-IUI. The dosage of Menopur started at a lower dosage to see how I responded to it, and increased as each cycle progressed. After the first two IUIs, she increased my medication dosage for the third and fourth cycles. The fourth cycle finally worked, and we are expecting a little girl later this year.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Bryna and Roisin)
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
The clinic overall was good. Whenever I called, I got the answers I needed. The billing took a while at times (more than a month), but not a deal breaker. The only challenge was during my last cycle, they were in the process of moving facilities and my doctor was moving to another location. When my husband went to drop off his sample, he ended up having to wait quite a long time just to drop it off (30+ min). I had to go to Waltham instead of Lexington for my last appointment.
I was very fortunate to have my procedures covered by my employer offered insurance policy. I only had to pay a co-pay to meet with the doctor, and for each IUI procedure. I also had prescription med coverage, so I paid the top tier co-pay for specialty meds.
n/a - we did IUI, not IVF.
2012 - 2013, Successful
She [Dr. DiGirolamo] was very direct but always positive and reassuring. Took as long as we needed in each appointment to discuss the details of my treatment and our feelings... Even though she was wonderful you always need to be involved with the process and ask questions.
I was not treated like just another patient [at IVF New England] and I always spoke to someone about my care. I have friends who would have to log into a system to learn about their doses and next steps. I always spoke directly to a nurse. How kind and understanding they[ the nurses] were.
She was very direct but always positive and reassuring. Took as long as we needed in each appointment to discuss the details of my treatment and our feelings.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF.
How kind and understanding they were. I was not treated like just another patient and I always spoke to someone about my care. I have friends who would have to log into a system to learn about their doses and next steps. I always spoke directly to a nurse.

2020, Consult
Dr Carla [DiGirolamo] is empathetic and compassionate...she is never rushed, tries to understand the problem, work on the diagnosis, and make sure all treatments/risks are fully explained. While she presents options as a doctor, she also gives a good balance of helping us select options we prefer
Strengths: Boston IVF Waltham and Westborough offices are both great clinics with some wonderful doctors and nurses. They are very organized such that wait times are minimal too. Weaknesses: Yet to begin treatment, so can't say yet
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Dr Carla is empathetic and compassionate. It has been a pleasure working with her as she is never rushed, tries to understand the problem, work on the diagnosis, and make sure all treatments/risks are fully explained. While she presents options as a doctor, she also gives a good balance of helping us select options we prefer (instead of doctors not giving us enough information and expecting patients to decide on their own).
Go for it!
Dr Carla was patient, empathetic and open to hearing about all previous treatments/alternate treatments as well. She was never rushed, and made sure I and my spouse had all my questions covered. She also made sure to get into as much detail as we'd like to understand treatments. Look forward to the actual treatment and result with her when we get to it!
Yet to begin any treatment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Shelby Sparby)
Shelby has been the most compassionate and helpful through the entire experience
Office/outpatient visit $443
Yet to begin any treatment

2019 - 2020, Consult
She [Dr. Carla DiGirolamo] took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood...She was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand...She took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood...I have not started treatment yet but she has suggested an unmedicated IUI.
[staff of Boston IVF] Everyone that I have come into contact in person or on the phone has been very kind and patient. They are able to explain any questions that I have had and don't rush through it...Come prepared with any questions you may have. She [Dr. DiGirolamo] was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
She took time to answer all my questions and was able to explain everything in a way that I understood. She also was not at all judgmental (something I was afraid of going into the first appointment).
Come prepared with any questions you may have. She was very open to answering any questions that I had so I made sure to think of as much as I could before hand.
She was honest and I did not feel rushed in appointments. She took time to explain everything.
I have not started treatment yet but she has suggested an unmedicated IUI.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
The nurses were amazing. The were kind and the woman who took my blood was the best I have ever had. No bruise left which never has happened before.
Describe your experience with Boston IVF.
Everyone that I have come into contact in person or on the phone has been very kind and patient. They are able to explain any questions that I have had and don't rush through it. Everyone seems to really care.
Lexington
Dr. Digirolamo created a warm and welcoming environment, which help with the stress of not knowing what to expect, durning the consultation. She was compassionate and empathy to my needs, addressing my concerns and answering all questions. She is very knowledgeable and explained everything in detail regarding what I would be experiencing, testing, medicine, cost of the procedure and potential outcomes.
Nursing staff [at Boston IVF- Waltham] was very professional, efficient, knowledgeable and follow up with you regarding up coming appointments and procedures.... Everyone listen to concerns and answer my questions with compassion and empathy. They explain the truth regarding my situation, with solution and options. My doctor was very knowledgeable as well as her team and the follow up was excellent.
How was your experience with Carla DiGirolamo at Boston IVF?
Come prepared to ask as many questions as you want. Do not hold back, she will ensure you leave knowing and feeling more comfortable.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Boston IVF.
Nursing staff was very professional, efficient, knowledgeable and follow up with you regarding up coming appointments and procedures.