Medical SchoolPuerto Rico
1130 Conroy Lane
Roseville, CA 95661
1111 Exposition Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95815
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carlos Soto-Albors to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northern California Fertility Medical Center to a friend?
2012 - 2017
Dr. Soto was very informative. He precisely described what was going to happen during each cycle. He was compassionate yet realistic. He worked very hard to try to figure out why we were experiencing Recurrent miscarriages. Even though we have not found a cause he continues to provide good care.... Due to our recurrent miscarriages, Dr. Soto attempted various strategies to maintain pregnancies. For example, he prescribed for progesterone suppositories at one point because nothing else was working even though I didn't show a need for them in blood tests.
2012 - 2017
How was your experience with Carlos Soto-Albors at Northern California Fertility Medical Center?
Dr. Soto was very informative. He precisely described what was going to happen during each cycle. He was compassionate yet realistic. He worked very hard to try to figure out why we were experiencing Reocurrent miscarriages. Even though we have not found a cause he continues to provide good care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carlos Soto-Albors at Northern California Fertility Medical Center?
He is not going to hold your hand but he is very good at what he does. He will answer all questions you ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carlos Soto-Albors at Northern California Fertility Medical Center?
He was very encouraging and yet realistic.
Describe the protocols Carlos Soto-Albors used in your cycles at Northern California Fertility Medical Center and their degree of success.
Due to our reoccurant miscarriages, Dr. Soto attempted various strategies to maintain pregnancies. For example, he prescribed for progesterone suppositories at one point because nothing else was working even though I didn't show a need for them in blood tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Dottie Rowell)
Dottie is the most compassionate nurse. She is optimistic. Sometimes she is a little disorganized, but I believe that is because she has so many patients that she cares about. She always eventually get you what you need. She is most thorough in explaining your medications, when to take them, how to administer them, and always calls you back within the day even if it's late at night.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
This clinic seems very on top of the latest tests etc. They are optimistic yet realistic. They advise you and don't lecture you. They sometimes run late , But having been an emergency appointment I have compassion for them needing some flexibility in their schedule due to the nature of their practice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carlos Soto-Albors at Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Cost would vary depending on what was going on in each cycle. Plus my insurance picked up some, although no prescription injectable medications.
Describe Carlos Soto-Albors's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Not applicable
What specific things went wrong at Northern California Fertility Medical Center?
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
He [Dr. Soto-Albors] was quiet, and sometimes I wished he would talk more or explain more. We pretty well went along with the flow (although not understanding just where that flow was going or why things were being done). It wasn't until after egg retrieval happened that we started to understand what was going on.... Not really sure what kind of protocol was used; we were never told. Follistim was used, some Estrace, Ganirelix, Progesterone in oil (was later changed to Crinone due to allergic reaction).
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
He was quiet, and sometimes I wished he would talk more or explain more. We pretty well went along with the flow (although not understanding just where that flow was going or why things were being done). It wasn't until after egg retrieval happened that we started to understand what was going on.
To ask questions, and urge the doctors to explain what everything is and why they're doing what they're doing (like making med changes).
I went in to IVF thinking it would take just a short time...but when things went for a couple of months, I got impatient, and not knowing what was going on, felt alone. Also, while the main focus was on my wife, I felt like other than some of the doctors pointing out my problems, that I was invisible (a couple of the doctors, but there were also some nice ones that boosted my confidence). When the end result came under the care of Dr. Soto-Albors, things had actually worked out really well, and because of him, my wife and I now have a son that we enjoy every day with. So while the process was stressful, the results were awesome.
Not really sure what kind of protocol was used; we were never told. Follistim was used, some Estrace, Ganirelix, Progesterone in oil (was later changed to Crinone due to allergic reaction). After all was said and done, 27 mature eggs were produced, 24 had been fertilized via ICSI, and 5 of those embryos made it to day 5. We miscarried one of the twins, but the other was born full term and without any problems.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Can't remember)
Our nurse coordinator and we had had a little bit of friction at first because of the stress levels, but finally were able to get adjusted well to each other. The other nurses (we only worked with each one once or twice) were great, and there were a couple of nurses that were very optimistic and positive.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
I had heard rumors that there was a bit of success associated with this particular clinic; for us, the same was very much true. I had a couple of doctors tell us that because of the problems with my sperm, we HAD to have donor sperm present (adding to the stress, though I can understand the motivation behind it; they wanted to make sure that the cycle was a success). The embryologists were really nice and good; it was obvious, looking in retrospect, that the whole team knew what they were doing.
Ultrasounds were something like $300 apiece (and there were quite a few), we spent about $5000 on meds, two of my operations cost around $1500. As for the actual IVF, we spent about $20,000 on all that.
He actually asked for our input on this one, and when we said two, he then revealed that he had also been thinking two as well.
2013 - 2014
Dr. Soto was thorough in all his testing and explanation of our results. He never spoke in terms we couldn't understand. He made me comfortable when in a very vulnerable situation. He was encouraging and determined to get us pregnant. It took a while but we have our amazing two year old son and couldn't be more happy with our treatment.... 1st IVF - retrieval yielded 8 healthy embryos (after PGD) of which we transferred two. It failed and I feel like my body was just too taxed. For our next cycle we did an FET. I added acupuncture and felt my body was ready. We transferred two and one took bringing us our son.
2013 - 2014
Trust in his methods and find things to do to relax yourself.
In a very clinical position he seemed very personable and determined to get us our baby! He never rushed us when we met with him and was very reassuring.
I don't recall dosages etc. We had used both gonal f and follistm with desired stim results. It was determined that after 6 failed IUI's and a past ectopic pregnancy (not under Dr. Soto's care) that my tubes may not be functioning properly. We were then encouraged to move to IVF. Both my husband and I agreed it was time. I believe we used follistm and ovidrel for IVF though I can't recall everything. We did ICSI and PGS (our decision) because of my advanced maternal age and past failed pregnancy attempts. 1st IVF - retrieval yielded 8 healthy embryos (after PGD) of which we transferred two. It failed and I feel like my body was just too taxed. For our next cycle we did an FET. I added acupuncture and felt my body was ready. We transferred two and one took bringing us our son.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Miriam)
Our nurse coordinator had been through IVF herself and I feel this lent to her compassion and drive to provide excellent care. She was organized and always wanted to make sure we understood every part of the process and were comfortable with it. The rest of the nurses were upbeat and hard working. Great nurses.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Strengths: Wait time for my initial consult was not long. They did a thorough health evaluation of me and my husband. They were strong on education from start to finish. They understand the emotional side and were always compassionate and friendly. They have a very organized financial coordinator and my nurse knew how to get the best pricing and discounts on prescriptions. The doctors are on top of changes and advancements in their field. They'll get you there! The office is clean, nice and comfortable.
We bought a package of 6 cycles through ARC. 3 fresh 3 frozen for approximately $26K (excluding meds). We paid $1600 for ICSI. PGS was paid to the outside genetic lab not NCFMC. That's all I can recall though it's not all.
Dr. Soto was very informative when it came to why he suggested we transfer two at a time. He never pressured us and left the decision up to us.
2012
I think he [Dr. Soto-Albors] was a great doctor. He was nice but at the same time could be very blunt and hurtful. Experiencing miscarriages under his watch were upsetting as he didn't appear to be very caring. I didn't feel he was willing to come up with a specific plan for me and instead was continuing a general treatment plan that wasn't working well for me...I felt like I was given the same plan because it was simple and common.
2012
I think he was a great doctor. He was nice but at the same time could be very blunt and hurtful. Experiencing miscarriages under his watch were upsetting as he didn't appear to be very caring. I didn't feel he was willing to come up with a specific plan for me and instead was continuing a general treatment plan that wasn't working well for me.
To be persistent on your needs and feelings. If you don't feel like you're a good match request a new doctor.
I felt like I was given the same plan because it was simple and common. The plan we were using wasn't working well for me. Dr Murray was in charge of my last FET and brought to my attention how I didn't respond well to Sotos plan and Murrays new plan ended in a successful pregnancy to two healthy boys.
He used birthcontrol in most of cycles even though I didn't respond as well as I did with a more natural cycle. He wanted more control even though it didn't seem beneficial.
I had a couple different nurses over the course of my treatments. They were all extremely caring and understanding. They explained things well and were always willing to chat if I needed.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
The team is overall a great team. Everyone is really nice. This journey is hard and talking with your nurse and building a good relationship really helps. Wait time is usually short. The price is very high and that can be hard.
I originally wanted to purchase their multi-plan packages and was talked out of it. I ended up spending a lot more because of this. I was assured since I was young they didn't believe it to be necessary. I'm still not happy with this.
Roseville
Dr Soto was very specific on everything he told us and he was able to answer all of our questions. He was polite and it seemed like he really cares about all of his patients . He was able to explain the whole process detail by detail without leaving us confused....I first had to start off by taking Clomid twice a day starting day 7 of my cycle I believe. I had to test for my fertile days starting on day 11 . Once I got a positive I had to call the office to go in . When I got to the Dr office they did an ultrasound to confirm I was on my fertile days .
The staff was very welcoming and were able to answer any questions I had.
I first had to start off by taking Clomid twice a day starting day 7 of my cycle I believe. I had to test for my fertile days starting on day 11 . Once I got a positive I had to call the office to go in . When I got to the Dr office they did an ultrasound to confirm I was on my fertile days . Before leaving the Dr office the nurse gave me the trigger shot . The next day I had the iui done . Now the wait began I had to wait 10 days after to start testing. After I got a negative test result I had to call the office to do the same process again.
All of the nurses were very helpful and were able to answer all of my questions and it was a plus that the nurses spoke spanish because may husband doesn't speak English fluent.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
The clinics strengths are once you walk in the staff is very welcoming and help you out with paperwork if needed to be filled out. They clinic doesn't really have any weaknesses everything is great about the clinic.
All of our genetic testing and blood work came out to around $600 . The ultrasounds were $345 I believe. My papsmhere was $300 . The iui was $475
Roseville
He [Dr. Soto-Albors] was a nice doctor but we didn’t see him every time. He wore sunglasses once. Sometime I felt like he rushed me out and didn’t answer my querstions fully or to where I could understand them (he spoke in doctor terms) it would have been nice to see the same doctor every time.... We did hormone injections in preparations for egg retrieval. Then we waited 1 month and did a frozen transfer 1st try was a success
He was a nice doctor but we didn’t see him every time. He wore sunglasses once. Sometime I felt like he rushed me out and didn’t answer my querstions fully or to where I could understand them (he spoke in doctor terms) it would have been nice to see the same doctor every time.
Have a list of questions prepared. And ask questions if you don’t understand his responses
Sometimes I felt like he rushed a bit to get to the next patient
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Peggy)
Peggy was amazing! She called back quickly answering every question and email. When I cried she cried. She really cares for her patients
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Front desk staff could use some help. They were borderline rude at times. It would be nice to be scheduled with the same doctor every time. Financial advisors did a great job at disclosing all fees upfront. We actually over paid and didn’t know it. We received a refund within thirty days after completing our cycle. It was nice to have lab onsite.
9,000 out of pocket with some insurance coverage
They strongly suggested starting with one embryo, they were right it was successful
2013 - 2018
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Soto-Albors is for the most part serious and moderately blunt. We really appreciated this about him. He is extremely knowledgeable, and thorough.... We had poor quality with higher doses our first round so he changed things up the 2nd time around and we made beautiful embryos. Dr. Soto-Albors will not proceed until he feels everything is perfect. We had a small uterine polyp we had to have removed before transferring.
2013 - 2018
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Soto-Albors is for the most part serious and moderately blunt. We really appreciated this about him. He is extremely knowledgeable, and thorough. Our nurse is who we spent most time with and she was more sensitive and our cheerleader of sorts. Dr. Soto-Albors is part-time in the office that he started over 30 years ago but I trusthim completely. He gave us our twins.
Ask lots of questions and take all the time you need in the appointments with the doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Dottie)
Dottie was pretty special and a huge part in our success. She always calls back quickly and was very supportive and positive.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Once you are assigned a nurse coordinator you have great communication. Prior to that it can be difficult to get answers. The front office and financial staff are great. The wait time is minimal.
We were out of pocket and the cost seemed to be a average ora little bit less than other clinics. The financial coordinator was very helpful.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
He [Dr. Soto- Albors] was always upfront and honest. Very friendly and caring. We adjusted treatments appropriately to try different things for success. He always responded if I had questions. He always got me appointments in quickly.... The first fet we did medications not injections. We had lots of issues with the actual transfer. We adjusted for the next cycle and he placed a stitch inside me. The next fet went much better but still resulted in negative pregnancy.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
He was always upfront and honest. Very friendly and caring. We adjusted treatments appropriately to try different things for success. He always responded if I had questions. He always got me appointments in quickly.
Keep everything. That way it’s easy to look back at what medications worked and what didn’t.
All staff was so friendly, they truly cared and wanted the transfers to succeed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
Between 2 egg donations, vasectomy reversal, 4 fet and one fresh every staff member and nurse has been friendly and amazing. They are all caring and compassionate .
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
There only weaknesses is the decorations and old equipment and wall decor. Strengths is everyone communicates well and is on top of contacting patients in a timely manner. We viewed several facilities and fell in love with the staff here. I’ve had several nurse coordinators and different dr’s and they are all amazing.
Roseville
I felt like he [Dr. Carlos Soto-Albors] is rushed and does not give time that I deserve as a patient paying a lot of money. Sometimes he was great and personable, but being that I did 5 egg donations for others and am now having infertility issues myself I need that emotional support...At times personable and not rushed, other times very rushed which left me stressed with questions and concerns. He is a great doctor, but when you see so many it is hard to have quick appts. It is apparent when he is stressed or has stuff going on. I enjoyed him most when he gives full attention in the appointment. I think he has compassion, shows concern and explains things well most of the time.
Have questions and concerns ready
I felt like he is rushed and does not give time that I deserve as a patient paying a lot of money. Sometimes he was great and personable, but being that I did 5 egg donations for others and am now having infertility issues myself I need that emotional support
He adjusted my meds because of my thin lining. He told me my cervix was closed and to use a certain tool in order to perform iui
I loved Marcie. Sometimes nurses were great other times I felt like I was forgotten about especially when i was not called back and communicated with about the undressing of my husband's sperm. I almost felt like they had forgotten to pull it out.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
Appointments are gard, talking directly to a dr or scheduling nurses is hard
Sacramento
He [Dr. Soto-Albors] was very straight foreard with the treatment plan. I felt confident in his work. He always made sure i was aware at each appointment of what was going to happen. My first transfer was a success with the doctor. I was determine ti go back for future treatment if needed....Always asked how i was doing during the treatment...Overall im happy that i choose this clinic [No Cal Fert Med Ctr]. Everyone there is great The staff are great. The hours are great and in a goid location.
He was very straight foreard with the treatment plan. I felt confident in his work. He always made sure i was aware at each appointment of what was going to happen. My first transfer was a success with the doctor. I was determine ti go back for future treatment if needed.
Have an open schedule
Always asked how i was doing during the treatment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
Courtney was great. She helped me understand my treatment plan and ensure i knew what i eas doing with my medications. She always checked up on me. She was also vefy sympathetic towards me.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
This clinic is great. Overall im happy that i choose this clinic. Everyone there is great The staff are great. The hours are great and in a goid location. There is so much flexibilty with this place. They always work with yiur schedule
3K
Roseville
He [Dr. Carlos Soto-Albors] was very caring and explained every process. This was my first time going through something like this and I was very emotional and scared. He talked to me and explained everything in detail. He was very compassionate and involved throughout the whole process.... They are very organized and kind. When they schedule appointments they follow up with you regarding any concerns you have, including concerns related to financing. All of them make you feel so welcomed.
He was very caring and explained every process. This was my first time going through something like this and I was very emotional and scared. He talked to me and explained everything in detail. He was very compassionate and involved throughout the whole process.
Follow what he orders and follow up with him if you have any concerns.
The doctor and staff were very caring and supportive throughout the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Susan)
Susan was so caring and kind. I felt comfortable crying or expressing how I felt going through a treatment and she was there to assure and comfort me giving me hope.
Describe your experience with Northern California Fertility Medical Center.
My insurance paid a portion and I was responsible for the balance. I can’t remember the exact amount I paid at the end with medications.
2013 - 2017
He [Dr. Soto-Albors] explains everything and takes the time to make sure you understand and are comfortable with everything. He expected the risks and what to expect at every stage of the treatment. He truly cares about your well being and he understands how this is a tough process yet his gentle side makes it easy...Even though I have also seen Dr Stephens, Dr Murray along with dr Soto, they always know me and are very Intune with my case and what's currently going on.
2013 - 2017
He explains everything and takes the time to make sure you understand and are comfortable with everything. He expected the risks and what to expect at every stage of the treatment. He truly cares about your well being and he understands how this is a tough process yet his gentle side makes it easy.
Be your own best advocate
Even though I have also seen Dr Stephens, Dr Murray along with dr Soto, they always know me and are very Intune with my case and what's currently going on. The nursing staff makes you feel like family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northern California Fertility Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Courtney Swason)
She is amazing. She r sounds quickly and in detail and makes sure you fully understand everything.