Methodist For Women

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolU. of South Dakota
ResidencyRush U. Med Ctr
FellowshipRush U. Med Ctr
717 N. 190th Plaza
Omaha, NE 68022
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Carolyn Doherty to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Methodist For Women to a friend?
European, Other
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
As explained before, Dr Doherty came Into our lives at a very difficult time. I was pregnant for the 5th time (zero children) and was very suspicious that I was having another ectopic. I had already had two ectopics with a removal of my right tube. My OB had already said I was negative for ectopic two days prior to Dr Doherty seeing it in an ultrasound. She was very straightforward with the details but yet very warm in her delivery. She didn’t sugar coat things and let us know she needed to remove my left tube and that IVF would be our only option moving forward. She hugged me several times and apologized for having to give us this bad news. She performed my surgery and also ran genetic testing that day so it was already done when we were ready to move forward with treatments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
She doesn’t sugar coat information. She’s very straightforward and gives you the facts you need. Some people may want a provider who isn’t like that but for us, it was exactly what we needed. We had felt for so long we weren’t getting the answers we needed to move forward and with one day with Dr. Doherty, it was refreshing. Even though we received bad news, we still felt more hopeful than we have been in the last 4 years of our infertility journey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
We met with Dr Doherty for our intotal consultation even though I had recently found out I was pregnant. She immediately wanted to do an ultrasound and found an ectopic pregnancy that had been missed by a previous ultrasound from another doctor. She was very supportive and comforting as she delivered the bad news. That day she removed my 2nd tube and delivered the news we would only be able to conceive through IVF, after having 3 ectopic pregnancies. She hugged me and apologized for having to be the “bearer of bad news”. The fact that she did my surgery and was dedicated to my previous and current care showed us we were more than just a number. She gave us the facts straight but she was still very warm in her delivery. We were very pleased with her after only meeting her that day. We felt as if we had been working with her all along.
Describe the protocols Carolyn Doherty used in your cycles at Methodist For Women and their degree of success.
We have yet to actually receive extensive treatment from Dr Doherty. She has only performed my tubal removal surgery and provided us with all the information for IVF. She did choose to remove my left tube because of an ectopic because she was worried of reoccurrence.
They were very nice. The nurse that asked me my initial questions at our consultation was very thorough and already knew a lot of my information before I told her. She seemed very prepared and was also very engaged in our conversation. There was also a new nurse shadowing and she was very polite and thanked us for our time after we spoke to them. Also, when it was time for me to get admitted into the hospital for surgery, a staff member was very quick to escort us to my room at the connecting hospital.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
They were very organized and the girl at the front desk was very knowledgeable of her job and what needed to be done. It was also a very calming suite and didn’t have that white sterile feeling that some offices have. The consultation fee is $400 which could be steep for some people but for us, we feel like we got our money’s worth. I also think it’s neat how they hang all the Christmas cards they receive up in the lobby. They’ve helped so many families conceive and those families still are thankful for the help they receive. It’s really neat to see.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women.
The consultation fee is $400.
Describe Carolyn Doherty's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Methodist For Women.
Dr Doherty did mention that she would only do a single embryo transfer with me because of my size. I am rather short and we would be worried of the risks of preterm labor.
What specific things went wrong at Methodist For Women?
Omaha
Dr. Doherty would easily be described as "blunt". Some may see this as a bad thing, but she never sugar coated anything or made us get our hopes up higher than they should have been...Dr. Doherty performed my egg retrieval and embryo transfer...We went into our 3rd cycle (first with Dr. Doherty) thinking our infertility was unexplained. After our cycle with Dr. Doherty, we found out that I actually have very poor egg quality. Dr. Doherty did not in any way sugar coat this, which I really appreciated.
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
Dr. Doherty would easily be described as "blunt". Some may see this as a bad thing, but she never sugar coated anything or made us get our hopes up higher than they should have been. Personally, I am grateful for that. With our history, the last thing I wanted was to be told one thing and have another happen. Dr. Doherty performed my egg retrieval and embryo transfer, and she will be doing our second embryo transfer next week. She has been great about explaining everything in detail and letting me know what to expect.
One piece of advice I would give any prospective patient, is to be ready for the cold hard truth. We went into our 3rd cycle (first with Dr. Doherty) thinking our infertility was unexplained. After our cycle with Dr. Doherty, we found out that I actually have very poor egg quality. Dr. Doherty did not in any way sugar coat this, which I really appreciated.
At my initial consult with Dr. Doherty, I felt very welcomed and comfortable in the clinic. After 2 failed IVF cycles in 2016 and 3 failed IUI's in 2017, I had very little trust left in any doctor I met with. Dr. Doherty took the time to review all of my (many, many) files, and assured me she would do everything she could to yield better results for our 3rd egg retrieval. Throughout our cycle I felt as though each of the nurses and doctors I saw or spoke to genuinely cared about the outcome of the treatment.
For this egg retrieval, Dr. Doherty had me on 225iu of Follistim (upped to 300iu on day 8) for 10 days. We also added in Cetrotide on day 8. We retrieved 24 eggs from this cycle - more than both of our first two cycles combined. Unfortunately from here our numbers dropped drastically due to poor egg quality. We ended the cycle with two frozen embryos (1 day 5, 1 day 6).
The nursing staff during our cycle has been great. They have answered all of my questions and explained things in detail, even over the phone. They showed great compassion when our FET failed and have continued to cheer me on.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
The only criticism I have for this clinic is that they don't have a patient portal of any kind. It made it hard to ask questions after hours, but never interfered with my cycle. Other than that, the clinic is extremely organized and fast. Monitoring appointments were a breeze and appointments were always on time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Methodist For Women.
Monitoring appointments were extremely convenient at this clinic! The window was 6:30-9:00 and no matter what time I went, I never waited more than 15 minutes.
The cost of our IVF cycle total, was roughly $15,000. Each monitoring appointment was between $90-$315, the egg retrieval was around $8100, and each transfer is $4200. Thanks to a wonderful community, I was able to get most of my medications donated, and only had to spend about $200 OOP.
Due to my age (24), Dr. Doherty highly recommended a single embryo transfer, which is what my husband and I were most comfortable with as well.
What specific things went wrong at Methodist For Women?
Omaha
[Dr. Doherty is] phenomenal and straight forward...does a great job of making sure that you have same day communication, you always see her, and you always know where you stand in your journey...She is also open to what you want to do so feel free to tell her your thoughts and she will share research to back whatever method she feels is best...everything was research based and she had it right there for you to read.
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
She's phenomenal and straight forward. My previous doctor sugar coated everything and caused me to always get my hopes up. Doherty also does a great job of making sure that you have same day communication, you always see her, and you always know where you stand in your journey.
Be open to her honesty and bluntness. She is doing it for your own good. She is also open to what you want to do so feel free to tell her your thoughts and she will share research to back whatever method she feels is best. I loved this about her, everything was research based and she had it right there for you to read. This is all science afterall!
She's a straight shooter and tells you exactly like it is. She shares the worst case scenario so you aren't disappointed. It really just depends how you deal with that news, I was happy to have someone be blunt with me and she helped me to swallow the pill that IVF would be reality a lot sooner than anyone else could have.
When I first began working with Dr. Doherty, it was following an ectopic pregnancy and tube removal surgery at another practice. Based on the surgery report from my past doctor she didn't feel comfortable moving forward until she did an HSG. At the HSG it was found that the surgery was not completed correctly or fully so I was scheduled for a second surgery. At that point it was determined that there was damage the the remaining tube and that my fibria were outside of my fallopian tube, instead of inside. At this point she told me, my best case to avoid another ectopic pregnancy was to pursue IVF. Since we were already into August and my body wasn't ready for treatment, she suggested I take a few months to get my finances in order and start in the new year. After the new year she started me on my IVF cycle which included birth control for 21 days, baseline bloodwork and ultrasound, and 11 days of STIMS followed by an egg retrieval 36 hours following my last injection.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Methodist For Women.
My nurse was great, she was often too quick of a talker and seemed rushed. I always felt like I had to interrupt her and ask her to repeat something and when I would ask specifics she would never give me a straight forward answer.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
I love this clinic! When you walk in the door you are greeted instantly and always with a smile! They are friendly, kind, and care about you. They know you are spending a ton of money to be seen there so they do their best to always be prepared with you file right there and quickly get you signed in. The waiting room is large with a tv and a million magazines. They are quick and get patients cycled through quickly so I was able to go through my entire IVF cycle without missing an hour of work due to their work friendly hours! I cannot say enough good things about this practice and the way they work with working couples.
Their monitoring hour are from 6:30am to 9am. This was perfect because I didn't have to miss a minute of work. I never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes to be seen and it was extremely organized to walk in, sign in or check in, and wait for your name to be called. They generally always had my chart right there at the front desk because they track when individuals will be in for monitoring so I was always able to sign my consent and pay whatever was due right away. Once called back, bloodwork would take a max of 2 minutes and then you would be sent to ultrasound. It was quick!
For our IVF cycle, I believe it will be around $12,000 when it is all complete.
We have not gotten to this step as my body was overstimulated from producing 30+ eggs in my cycle so we have to wait for a transfer.
Omaha
I was on a thyroid medicine [with Dr. Doherty] that they say they give almost everyone. Never made any difference. I’d done clomid for a longish time with my regular doctor, and she took me off it. Did a couple cycles with Gonol F and just trying on our own, and then we did an IUI one cycle...She was very hopeful at our initial consultation, and there never seemed to be much in the way of bad news or signs of problems, but we never got pregnant while seeing her.
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
She was very hopeful at our initial consultation, and there never seemed to be much in the way of bad news or signs of problems, but we never got pregnant while seeing her. We were told we could do a few rounds of injections, but after the first decided the only option was IUI. We could only afford a single try, and it failed. I asked if we could do clomid or one of the other pills that were more affordable -as opposed to doing nothing - but she said no. So, that was pretty much it. Ended up being a giant waste of thousands of dollars, though I recognize that’s not necessarily her or the clinics fault.
Keep your expectations low even if it seems like it’s going well when talking to her. Bring a notebook. Felt like she sometimes talked fast and I’d forget what she said.
They were mostly good about making me feel like a person, though I wish they were more understanding of the crazy financial burdens. They don’t really work with you: just tell you how much you have to hav up front, and if you can’t, too bad. No payments or anything and not really much compassion about it.
Don’t remember specifics. I was on a thyroid medicine that they say they give almost everyone. Never made any difference. I’d done clomid for a longish time with my regular doctor, and she took me off it. Did a couple cycles with Gonol F and just trying on our own, and then we did an IUI one cycle. Couldn’t afford anything else. Never had a pregnancy while with Doherty (prior to the clinic I had one pregnancy that ended in miscarriage with my regular doctor)
They were organized and helpful. My biggest complaint of the whole clinic was that there was almost zero compassion for how expensive everything was. I’m sure it’s something they deal with often, but the fact that there was very little room to work with people was frustrating. A couple of the nurses , though I don’t remember names, were exceptions to this, and at least acted sorry and understanding even though there wasn’t much they could do.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
Beautiful clinic, though it’s far away for me as I live clear out in Bellevue. They need to have more financial support options for people who can’t afford hundreds of dollars up front and who’s insurance doesn’t cover a lot of the advanced stuff. I get that they need to get paid, but a quick credit check would have shown that we would pay them back if we could do installments.
It’s been awhile, but each visit was about $200 up front as I recall, though our insurance did cover some of this. The IUI was something like 500 total for the IUI procedure if I recall correctly. The real expense were the hormones, though these are not sold directly by the clinic.
PCOS, Other
Very sincere and passionate. She [Dr. Carolyn Doherty] is caring and wants to do all she can to help achieve our goal and dream of having a child. Very skilled and knows what she's doing. Does not sugar coat or just tell you what you want to hear, goes above and beyond what any other doctor has done for us in years past to ensure we fully understand what the plan is and what to expect. Also not just telling us what we want to hear and getting our hopes up to then just crush our hopes down the road.
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
Very sincere and passionate. She is caring and wants to do all she can to help achieve our goal and dream of having a child. Very skilled and knows what she's doing. Does not sugar coat or just tell you what you want to hear, goes above and beyond what any other doctor has done for us in years past to ensure we fully understand what the plan is and what to expect. Also not just telling us what we want to hear and getting our hopes up to then just crush our hopes down the road.
Understand that she is blunt and to the point. She will not tell you what you want to hear just because that's what you might need in the moment, she is honest from start to finish and will tell you if she's unsure or doesn't know.
Very personable and blunt. Does very well at explaining things and making sure we understand what she's saying.
We haven't done any cycles with her yet. We have just finished a surgery to fix my uterus and cervix from a previous event.
So far each nurse we've encountered has been very friendly and caring. They are thorough and explain things very well to be understood by someone who doesn't understand all of the medical mumbo-jumbo.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
The clinic itself is very nice. It's fairly new so it's very clean and up to date. As soon as you walk in the desk is straight inside the door and there's full staff behind the counter. Usually a clinic has one or two staff but each time we've gone in there's been at least 4 staff and they're all very nicely dressed and super friendly. The office is large so you can sit without having to sit next to a stranger or even near them. There's several little round tables that are covered with reading material. There's also an area with toys and stuff for kids to do!
The only cost we've had so far is a consult fee of $400.00 but we haven't actually gotten billed as insurance is pending. We just had surgery yesterday so haven't gotten any information on the cost of the surgery yet.
2012 - 2017
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Doherty was blunt about steps I could take to help in the fertility process, my prognosis, and setbacks that might and did occur. She was very knowledgeable and, particularly once she understood that I wanted to know every detail, fully explained the steps and the reasons for them. She was typically warm and conversational. Once in a while she seemed a bit rushed for time, but on other occasions she spent additional time with me. Overall, Dr. Doherty did not over promise and she delivered what she said she could; specifically, she told me she thought she could get me pregnant, but it would be hard.
2012 - 2017
Anovulation, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
She can be blunt, but she is doing it for your own good. It is very important to have reasonable expectations during this process.
Problems, medications, procedures and results were explained thoroughly to me. Most of the staff was very good about taking my emotions into account when giving me good or bad news or doing diagnostic testing. Occasionally a nurse was a bit callous when performing an ultrasound.
Most of the nursing staff was extremely warm and helpful, and would answer any question I called with or asked about appointments. There is one member on staff who could often be cold and uncommunicative even after I expressed anxiety or asked questions.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
It's great that the clinic is located in the Women's Hospital. It is a new and state of the art facility and I have confidence that all procedures done there are using the best equipment. I'd also note that the receptionists are friendly and helpful as well.
I must admit to hating the monitoring appointments. You were seen in the order you arrived at the clinic and seeing the facility fill up each morning while I waited for testing to begin always made me anxious. I really wish they would schedule monitoring appointments, although I understand that may be practically difficult.
I believe each IVF retrieval cost about $10,000, with an additional $2,000 to $3,000 for a fresh transfer. A FET cost about $4,000 to $5,000. I think the IUIs were about $2,500. The medication for one IVF cycle was something like $4,000.
I think Dr. Doherty allowed me to make the call on how many embryos to transfer. I liked that approach because I was an educated consumer in this case and I knew what I wanted. I transferred more than one embryo on 3 occasions.
Omaha
She [Dr. Carolyn Doherty] made sure to speak with me in detail so I understood the process. I felt like she took the time to reassure me and when talking to her I felt very cared for.... I was very anxious and she was calming in each interaction. I felt like she really understood me and my husband's background and throughly went over the plan. Her confidence and kindest was very motivating.
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
I had a great experience with Doctor Doherty. I was very anxious and she was calming in each interaction. I felt like she really understood me and my husband's background and throughly went over the plan. Her confidence and kindest was very motivating.
Don't let you anxiety get in the way of giving and asking all the information you can. She is a confident and caring doctor.
She made sure to speak with me in detail so I understood the process. I felt like she took the time to reassure me and when talking to her I felt very cared for.
We did a cycle of IUI. I did 75 iu of follistism injection once a day for four days and a trigger shot one day. There was frequent ultrasounds and blood work to monitor follicles,etc. This was out first iui cycle so that was the rationale for the dosage we began with and since I responded well there was no increase. The treatment resulted in a positive pregnancy and live birth.
They were beyond amazing. Each person from the front desk to the ultrasound tech was so supportive and kind each time we came in.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
The clinic has an amazing staff. They were very compassionate and really listened to us. Any time I called I was able to speak with someone or get a call back in a reasonable amount of time and they speak the time talking with me, I never felt like they were rushing me off the phone.
Our insurance did not cover any of the cost. In total we paid 2600 for the IUI , that includes the doctor visits, blood work, ultrasounds, medication and procedure.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
She [Dr. Carolyn Doherty] knows what she is doing and she is very up front and honest. She won't sugar coat things and sometimes what she has to says is hard to hear. Honestly at this point in our journey I was tired of the sugar coating and appreciated her candor... Iui we did follistim and ganirelix. For the first IVF we did the same meds. At retrieval they only got 4 eggs from 14 and only 1 embryo which didn't make it to transfer. The second cycle we switched to gonal f and cut out the ganirelix. I think because they thought it slowed down my follicle growth and I was a long stim. The second IVF we also did a double trigger since the eggs were so hard to retrieve the time before. Ended up retrieving eggs from all follicles (7), had 2 embryos, 1 made it to transfer and is a 4 month old bundle of joy.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
She knows what she is doing and she is very up front and honest. She won't sugar coat things and sometimes what she has to says is hard to hear. Honestly at this point in our journey I was tired of the sugar coating and appreciated her candor.
Her bedside manner is rough around the edges.
I was in so frequently that I recognized the staff and the recognized me. Everyone was really friendly. I never felt like they were just trying to make money off us. The doctor was always very up front about our odds of success and the nurses always took the time to return phone calls and answer any questions.
So helpful. Always answered questions and would return a bunch of phone calls. I always had lots of questions.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
I liked for the monitoring ultrasounds and bloodworm they had hours from 7-9ish were it was first come first serve. I didn't have to take any extra time off work for those appointments. Only for the actual procedures. That reduced the atress a lot.
It was a cattle call and a well oiled machine. They got you in and out. Called with blood test results and then plan. Seamless
Costs for the IVF and ultrasounds added up. It was expensive.
This wasn't an issue as we only ever had one embryo.
Omaha
I had many reservations about seeing Dr. Doherty but they were quickly put to rest after our consultation. She is good at what she does. She is confident. She is effective. She is the best. She will not sugar coat, which I personally appreciate, but with that comes a lot of "potentials" that can infect your emotions. You have to dissect what she says and understand that "worse case scenarios" aren't necessarily your scenarios. She put me at ease from day one and made our journey feel seemless and controlled at all times. I would recommend her over and over again to anyone considering her clinic.
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
Be patient and ask questions when you don't understand something. People come to her with all different levels of knowledge and she manages many different cases, so speak up when you're unsure of something or have questions.
Maud and staff were for the most part very friendly and warm. The clinic can get busy and sometimes I felt rushed through when I needed better details, but they would sense that and take the time I needed to better understand things. They had an appropriate demeanor of speaking "clinically" and frankly, while understanding the delicacy of the emotions that come with infertility.
Very friendly and welcoming
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
Be prepared to wait before getting in. It is expensive and there are no payment plans.
Expensive
2010 - 2014
She [Dr. Doherty] is very blunt and one my first consultation visit, told me I was too young to be in her office...She is lacking in bedside manner but makes up for it in knowledge. I highly doubt she remembers any of her patients names or personal details. She’s been doing this for a long time and gets the results, you just have to be willing to go along with her plan...Don’t expect warm and fuzzy
2010 - 2014
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
Don’t expect warm and fuzzy
She is very blunt and one my first consultation visit, told me I was too young to be in her office.
After trying 3 rounds of clomid with my regular ob/gyn, our first cycle with her she insisted on doing another round of clomid with IUI. I felt like this was not a step forward (and ultimately did not work). The next round we did injections with IUI which was successful. Two years later, we went back to try for a second baby and did two rounds of injections with IUI which ultimately was not successful.
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
it’s a very busy clinic. You do as you are told, when you are told. There is not an option to coordinate around your personal schedule. We had an hour long commute each way and many times were expected to show up at 7am for lab work with hardly any notice.
Omaha
She [Dr. Carolyn Doherty] is honest and frank about speaking to you about your conditions. She was very blunt which I appreciated. I couldn’t ask for anything different in a doctor. She took time to address my concerns. I felt that’s she provided great care. I would go back to her if needed... I did one IUI with Clomid. I looked into further testing and she had a plan for us but we decided not to pursue more treatment.
How was your experience with Carolyn Doherty at Methodist For Women?
She is honest and frank about speaking to you about your conditions. She was very blunt which I appreciated. I couldn’t ask for anything different in a doctor. She took time to address my concerns. I felt that’s she provided great care. I would go back to her if needed.
This process takes a while so be patient.
She sat down and spoke to us and answered our questions.
No issues to report
Describe your experience with Methodist For Women.
Strengths-quality care, honest and real, helpful staff Weakness-expensive care, lacked compassion It would be good for someone new to know about the cost assoxiated with infertility treatment. This clinic was helpful though
A lot! Thousands of dollars