Medical SchoolAlbert Einstein
ResidencyColumbia
FellowshipAlbert Einstein
425 Fifth Ave
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Cary Dicken to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Sher Fertility of New York to a friend?
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Dicken is a skilled doctor who is willing to treat patients with severely diminished ovarian reserve. I went to retrieval with an AFC of 7 and an AMH of below .4. She specializes in this type of treatment and did not overmedicate me, in order to avoid compromising the quality of remaining eggs. She was willing to incorporate HGH at my suggestion, based on outside research I had done. At one point we had some communication glitches, which resulted in our having to delay a cycle, but we came to learn this was more the result of failed communication between her and the office staff. We are very grateful to her for her willingness to help patients like me - she will go to retrieval for only one egg, because she understands how precious that one egg is.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Ask questions, and be sure that you understand every aspect of the proposed treatment as well as the rationale. Maintain communication throughout.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Dr. Dicken is excellent at maintaining active correspondence during treatment. She always responded to our emails, which were often sent during periods of heightened emotion and anxiety, within 24 hours, and was both reassuring and realistic. She always read our chart before seeing us, and asked us how we were before delivering news.
Describe the protocols Cary Dicken used in your cycles at Sher Fertility of New York and their degree of success.
Our first cycle, we used 150iu of Menopur and 150iu of Gonal F, then added in 250mg of Cetrotide three days before retrieval. We triggered with HCG. The rationale was to not overmedicate, as I have DOR and too much medication can compromise the quality of eggs. We retrieved 4 eggs, and froze one 5-day embryo, which tested PGS normal. The second cycle, we hoped to have similar results but possibly retrieve more eggs without compromising quality, so we kept the protocol the same for the first five days, but then increased the Gonal f to 225iu on the sixth day, and added 1mL of Omnitrope (HGH) to increase egg quality. We also started the Cetrotide sooner to allow the eggs to grow a bit longer while preventing premature ovulation. We triggered with a combination of HCG and Lupron. That cycle, we retrieved 9 eggs, though only 6 were mature. Of those six, three made it past day 3, and 2 made it to freeze. We tested both - one came back PGS normal, and the other was inconclusive (the cells that were biopsied did not have enough DNA to run the test - annoying). We are about to start a third cycle and will probably keep the treatment the same as the second, because we were happy with the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Marian Gerges)
Marian was responsive, kind, and organized. We had one problem with communication that was frustrating - when we started our second cycle we did not have a full consultation, only a partial, so some decisions were made without our knowledge. They were responsive and rectified the situation with a mid-cycle consultation. We will not make the mistake again - the office staff in that case needed to be better as communicating as an entire team, but Marian herself was great. she even answered our late-night call when we had a panic attack about administering the double trigger We really love her and hope to work with her again.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
SHER is willing to work with patients who have DOR which was our biggest priority. I previously did a cycle at RMA who treated me like a number for sure. All doctors are skilled in this sub-area. The clinic is great about sending instructions and calendars, has very responsive and communicative staff who are always available by email, and has a great late-night nursing call back system. I would highly recommend for a patient with diminished ovarian reserve as they are one of few clinics who will go to retrieval for one or two eggs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York.
We had two cycles covered by insurance. The next will be self pay. The first two cycles came out to about 5K each including the cost of PGS testing and co-pays. They have quoted the self pay cycle at about 12K.
Describe Cary Dicken's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sher Fertility of New York.
Dr. Dicken recommends transferring two past the age of 35, though she is more cautious with PGS-tested normal embryos and the last time we spoke, indicated that it was ultimately up to us. We will most likely transfer the PGS normal embryo along with the inconclusive embryo at the same time, because that (according to her) gives us the highest chance of a single live birth. Overall, she is a good combination of realistic but cautious.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Dicken was always clear, efficient, and realistic but positive. She responded to emails quickly, within 24 hours on weekends and much sooner during business hours. She easily answered any questions I had, and I always felt cared for. She went out of her way to support me when a cycle went awry financially and while it was a small thing for her, it made a huge difference to me. She responded conscientiously to my financial needs as well as my body to adjust treatment and I never felt like I wasn't getting the best care just because I couldn't afford every option.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
If you're not sure, ask and she'll tell you.
Dr. Dicken and nurses and staff at the clinic were all kind and responsive in communicating.
I had exhausted my covered IVF cycles and prescriptions and was limited to paying out of pocket for all drugs but had unlimited covered IUI cycles. She prescribed letrazole for low side-effect follicle stimulation, which I responded well to, producing 3-6 follicles for each of 5 cycles, the third resulting in a chemical pregnancy. Around that time, she suggested injectables would produce more eggs, if I could afford it. After two more negative cycles, I felt I was ready to try the more aggressive injectables. She gave me the choice of Menopur or Gonal-F, giving me a timeline and estimated number of doses, saying the output would be about the same. She did not indicate that the number of doses could go much higher, based on how my body responded, but it did, by five days, the follicles needing more time to grow than anticipated. I might have made a different choice had I known, but when it happened, I couldn't just scrap the cycle and while I did incur some unforeseen debt, she helped me out with a box of Menopur they had on hand at the clinic. This made a big difference to me both in how much I had to pay and struck me as a caring, humane gesture that certainly she didn't have to make. It was worth it, though, since that sixth cycle has ended up in a viable pregnancy!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jacqueline Piccardo)
The nursing staff I encountered on visits were always kind, professional and efficient. I wish they all wore name tags because I often ended up seeing the same people and while they knew me, after a while, it was awkward not to know theirs and to have to ask. Jacqueline, the coordinating nurse, once or twice was party to minor miscommunication, but it was always resolved quickly. She always had a lovely affect, which goes a long way.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Very nice facility. Some weird art. The staff knew me and again always struck me as efficient and conscientious. While Dr. Dicken was based on the 6th floor mostly, many procedures are on the third floor, and that could sometimes be confusing. Doctors cover for each other occasionally, and the in interactions I had with Dr. Tortoriello and Dr. Wang, I found them both pleasant, responsive and effective.
$50 copay each visit--30 for seeing the doctor, 20 for labs whether I had them done or not. I was billed later for fees. I ended up spending an average of $800 a month at the clinic and on associated out-of-pocket drug costs (I used Kings in Brooklyn) for IUI cycles using letrozole. I did not investigate discount online fertility pharmacies, and I wish I had.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Dicken was a kind and understanding doctor, who did not hesitate to give us the information we needed but was sensitive and considerate when she had bad news to deliver. She remembered us, kept in touch and was always available when we needed her...took the time to explain things when we had questions. She was encouraging but was always clear about risks and the probability of success.
2 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
We found Dr. Dicken to be a consummate professional who gave us clear information and took the time to explain things when we had questions. She was encouraging but was always clear about risks and the probability of success. Dr. Dicken also remained available to us when we had questions for her. She responded promptly to emails and made sure that her staff followed up when necessary. We saw her at every appointment that involved a doctor. It is hard to overstate how important this was for us. We went to Dr. Dicken after first seeing a well-known doctor at a major facility who we found cold, remote and insensitive. By contrast, we felt comfortable with Dr. Dicken as our guide through this sometimes difficult process. After some setbacks, we were blessed with a beautiful baby boy and we are eternally grateful to Dr. Dicken for her help in getting us there.
The advice I would give is to see Dr. Dicken first before trying other facilities. Frankly, we wasted time and money with another doctor who was more of a big name but ended up a disappointment.
Dr. Dicken was a kind and understanding doctor, who did not hesitate to give us the information we needed but was sensitive and considerate when she had bad news to deliver. She remembered us, kept in touch and was always available when we needed her. In contrast to other doctors we saw, Dr. Dicken was as kind and warm as she was totally professional. That made a great difference to us as we were going through a stressful process.
When we first came to see Dr. Dicken, we were trying IVF using our own eggs. We knew the odds were against us - and Dr. Dicken was clear with us about the statistics - but we were not ready to give up. Dr. Dicken led us through two cycles and made some adjustments to the process. After two IVF cycles, we decided to use an egg donor. The first transfer was not successful, and Dr. Dicken again made some adjustments to the treatment. The second time it worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York.
We dealt closely with two or three nurses under Dr. Dicken. All were excellent. They were not only professional but were warm and friendly. It made a big difference to us that even the receptionists at the front desk remembered our names and greeted us warmly every time we saw them.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
This is a relatively small clinic, which for us was a plus. Before going to SHER, we first went to another facility that was much larger and felt like an assembly line where no one knew our name; frankly, we came to feel unwelcome at this other facility, as though we were dragging down their success statistics. In contrast, SHER was a smaller, kinder and more welcoming place, while still being totally professional. As we were nearing the end of our treatment, SHER was sold to another company. Some changes started to happen, such as reorganization of offices and departments, but we saw only a little of this as we were on our way out (happily, we became pregnant and had a baby). So because we didn't have much experience with SHER after the sale, we don't feel that we can fully evaluate it today.
We compared facilities and found that costs at SHER were about average.
IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Dicken individualized my protocols and changed them as necessary based on my response and test results. I've done both natural and medicated transfer cycles. She added supplements and anticoagulants based on immune and clotting test results...She always mentioned treatment costs upfront as well as potential savings. .... She found a number of things that were missed by my previous doctor. She explains treatment and procedures, so that you know her rationale and what to expect.
IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Dr. Dicken is the best doctor I've ever had...I often say to friends and family that I wish Dr. Dicken could be my doctor for everything! It's a very difficult process, but I got better results each cycle and didn't give up because of her excellent care. She is very thorough, pragmatic, and individualizes treatment. She found a number of things that were missed by my previous doctor. She explains treatment and procedures, so that you know her rationale and what to expect. She always has recommendations to improve the next cycle, and her recommendations always are a good balance of proven treatments and the latest research.
Communicate openly and honestly with Dr. Dicken--she really listens and respects patient concerns, questions, and wishes. When she makes a recommendation or communicates test results (you'll never need to follow up to get test results on time!), she asks what questions you have rather than asking if you have any questions. I was open about some embarrassing things and never been met with judgement, which is very different from my experiences with other doctors. My results and overall experience were definitely been much better because of it.
My treatment was highly individualized, and my care was very hands-on. Dr. Dicken makes recommendations based on medical needs but takes your preferences and resources into consideration as well. Somehow, she managed to recite almost all my numerous test results and numbers off the top of her head during appointments. She always mentioned treatment costs upfront as well as potential savings. Since I prefer less medication, Dr. Dicken always explained why she recommends a new medication or increase in dosage. I appreciated that I was informed and involved in my healthcare decisions.
Dr. Dicken individualized my protocols and changed them as necessary based on my response and test results. I've done both natural and medicated transfer cycles. She added supplements and anticoagulants based on immune and clotting test results. She used protocols with letrozole and lupron to address my ongoing receptivity problems and abnormal uterine biopsy results. I got better results each cycle and finally was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
Jackie, who communicates test results and instructions, is absolutely wonderful! She's friendly and greets each patient, and she's very efficient at communicating instructions and calling in prescriptions. The other nurses (it's changed a bit) that meet with you before your cycle are less helpful and often get instructions and information incorrect.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
They truly make the process as easy as possible for you. Everything runs on-time and almost seamlessly. Everyone, even doctors, email with you in record time. It's a warm, inviting environment, and staff take the time to get to know you. I'd never go anywhere else!
Luckily, my insurance covered the majority of my costs. I chose to do a few more experimental tests that weren't covered by insurance, but they weren't pushed on me and the costs were made clear upfront. I've had a few errors on my bills, but they've been cleared up pretty easily. The biggest hurdle was the initial financial consult, but everything has been fine since.
4 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Dicken is up to date with the latest research, explains her opinion to our questions directly with the positives/negatives, shows compassion/empathy to the tough situation we are in, typically responds to our questions within hours, has a kind/understanding "bedside manner", remembers our preferences for almost every issue (e.g. preference for how medicated we want our cycle to be, how we prefer to take medication), is very sensitive to how we react to the medication, and basically goes ABOVE AND BEYOND IN EVERY SITUATION to provide excellent patient care.
East Asian, South Asian
4 IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
I wish I switched to Dr. Dicken sooner. Do not hesitate. She is an all around rock star in all aspects of patient care.
From the onset, Dr Dicken asked what our long term goals were and what we were willing to do to achieve them. She remembers practically every detail we've shared with her about issues ranging from our preference for non-medicated cycles to why we have a timing preference for our most recent planned transfer. She demonstrates empathy and always shares her professional opinion directly, kindly and without judgement.
Dr. Dicken monitored my results closely throughout the process and adjusted my protocol, as needed. Unlike my previous clinic, she was open to estrogen priming and allowed me to use the patch when the pill caused nausea.
Dr. Dicken's nurse Jackie is efficient, friendly and caring. She answers all our questions promptly, takes extra time to send us our blood test results levels (our request) after every blood test (and there are many!) and efficiently executes tasks accurately e.g. calling in prescriptions and conveying doctor's response.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
It always feels very orderly and zen-like in the waiting area. The staff that picks up the phone/coordinates appointments are professional and efficient. The clinic's schedule is managed so well that I am simultaneously always able to get an appointment and yet there is never a wait to see the Dr.
1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Her strengths: she will answer emails in a timely manner. She seems like a nice person. Her weaknesses: very poor verbal communication skills. You may have to wait several days before receiving lab report. Dr. Dicken will call you herself. You will have no communication with the embryologist....Overall, Dr. Dicken disappointed us greatly. She failed to communicate important information to me and my partner several times which nearly cost us a cycle and caused emotional distress while we awaited our results FOR EIGHT DAYS! We also felt she didn't even take the time to read our notes before checking in with us during apts. Ie. In a conversation with me she did not remember my partner's name nor the fact that we'd opted for PICSI. I am also very concerned that the lab did not provide me with an embryology report---vital information for our next cycle.
1 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
I will say that I am impressed with Dr. Dicken's ability to help us improve our egg quantity during a cycle that was initially bound for failure. We had 8 eggs retrieved after she greatly lengthened our protocol. That said, I have read that longer stim protocols more often result in poorer outcomes. I wish she had iterated that information to us in order to help us make a decision about continuing with the cycle. Overall, Dr. Dicken disappointed us greatly. She failed to communicate important information to me and my partner several times which nearly cost us a cycle and caused emotional distress while we awaited our results FOR EIGHT DAYS! We also felt she didn't even take the time to read our notes before checking in with us during apts. Ie. In a conversation with me she did not remember my partner's name nor the fact that we'd opted for PICSI. I am also very concerned that the lab did not provide me with an embryology report---vital information for our next cycle.
Dr. Dicken informed us that we could have local monitoring (in conjunction with care at Sher) since we live in another state. However, neither the Sher medical team nor my local clinic techs communicated with one another throughout day 5 of my monitoring cycle. I had to call Sher several times to ensure the ultrasound and blood test results were received and read by my RE. In addition, when we arrived at Sher NYC for day 8 monitoring apt, Dr. Dicken said that she only saw 3 large follicles. She said that had been given more information by the local clinic (i.e. follicle sizes measuring under 10mm) then she would have known my follicles were not properly aligned and would have suggested I be placed on a full week of estrogen priming prior to the cycle. However, Dr. Dicken and her team failed to communicate this information to me or to my local clinic during the first 7 days of my cycle. As a result, I nearly cancelled this retrieval. Neither Dr. Dicken nor her team communicated with me or my partner for 8 days while we waited for the embryology report. An IVF clinic will typically provide you information about embryo growth at days 2, 3, 5, and 6. Not the case here. On the morning of day 8 she called me to tell me all embryos had suddenly arrested on day 3. However, she said she was not sure she could provide me or my partner with an embryology report because she wasn't sure the embryologist had even taken notes on day 3! It is important to note that I froze my eggs with Dr. Dicken two years ago. I had great results---18 eggs retrieved and 14 eggs frozen. I also had 6 eggs frozen from another clinic. We attempted to thaw and fertilize these 20 eggs along with the fresh cycle. I received a call from Dr. Dicken letting me know that only 25 percent of my eggs had properly thawed! She said she didn't know why---possible poor lab conditions (and 14 of my eggs were vitrified at Sher) or poor egg quality. Again, she couldn't give me a clear answer.
Estrogen priming (although not primed for long enough) 225 Gonal F, 75 menopur, ganirelix 16 day stim cycle because my follicles were many different sizes
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Marian)
Nurse was extremely organized and thorough. She was very busy and hard to reach but overall I enjoyed my experience with her.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Clinic is small boutique style which is nice. Compare this embryology lab to some of the more reputable clinics: NYU, CCRM Colorado, Cornell. Their SART rates are much higher. In retrospect, I regret not choosing another clinic regardless of my outcome because at least I would trust my eggs/embryos were in good hands!
14.5 K and 5 K for medications
We were extremely disappointed that she wasn't direct about the pros and cons of day 3/day 5 transfer. Also, had I known my embryos would arrest on day 3 I would have opted for this option. Since the embryologists do not check the embryos on day 2 there is no option for day 3 transfer if you opt for day 5.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I see Dr. Dicken for EVERY SINGLE THING - meetings, follow-ups, consultations, every single morning monitoring, egg retrieval, etc. If I ever have any questions - big or little - I email her and she responds directly to me within 24 hours. It's been amazing. Such great, personal care...Since she is so good at answering questions - bring ALL the questions you have! She will give you her honest, professional opinion. If you have a wild idea or heard of a new thing, mention it - she's open to talking about everything and seems to understand how hard and complex this is. She may stick to her professional assessment, but always worth mentioning anything and everything that crosses your mind.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Dr. Dicken is great. She took the time in our first consultation to review our charts (from another clinic), give us her opinion and talk about ALL the options - something we did not get at our previous clinic. She is open-minded, caring, thorough and very responsive to all our questions in person and via emails. I feel very taken care of in a personal way with her.
It's a small clinic - only 4 total doctors. And I see Dr. Dicken for EVERY SINGLE THING - meetings, follow-ups, consultations, every single morning monitoring, egg retrieval, etc. If I ever have any questions - big or little - I email her and she responds directly to me within 24 hours. It's been amazing. Such great, personal care.
I did an antagonist protocol. I did a week of estrogen priming in hopes of creating good quality, uniform eggs. I did FSH only to start then added menopur. I did about 14 days (longer than originally expected) of stims to create as many follicles as possible. We also did ICSI and PGS. She also had me take a lot of supplements and antioxidants - CoQ10, Fertilaid, Vitamin C, D, Red wine extract.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Yisraela)
They are all very nice, friendly and compassionate. They work pretty efficiently as well.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
It's a small clinic with personal care - this is what we needed after being at Columbia where we never knew who we would see and did not get to really know our primary doctor and vice versa. At Sher, we feel very much seen. One time they messed up our consultation appointment time and that was annoying. But that was the only bump, logistically. The facilities are nice as well. I don't feel "gross" going there. I feel comfortable.
The first cycle was covered by our insurance. The next one we will wither choose 1 IVF with ICSI and1 FET for $13,000 (not including PGS) or two IVFs with ISCI and unlimited FETs for $26,000. Roughly. I believe the PGS was about $2,000. Freezing and boring embryos was about $80/month.
I believe she prefers single embryo transfers - after PGS tested - for best results
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Dicken was consistently warm and friendly, while still being honest and frank about our chances. She remembered me and the details our my history from appointment to appointment and answered emails quickly...I was doing an IVF transfer with a PGS'ed 5 day blastocyst. I did the usual drug protocol I'd done at another clinic, but I also did intralipid infusions every 2-3 weeks starting before the transfer and then through the beginning of the pregnancy. SIRM does this treatment for people who've has recurrent, unexplained miscarriages like me in the past.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Again, Dr. Dicken was warm, friendly, available and kept my feelings in mind during a difficult time. She didn't withhold information or try to sugar coat anything, but she was clearly rooting for our success. At another clinic, I sometimes felt like their course of action was motivated more by their need to keep up their success rates.
I'm not sure -- I really felt like I received good care. I was transferring embryos from another clinic and I wish I'd done a better job of keeping all the details of all of my testing clear, but that is more a statement about my own level of disorganization. Dr. Dicken was thorough and considered all the aspects of my history.
They were all very kind and encouraging. Again, I felt like a human at every turn. I will say I found it much easier to communicate via phone than email.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
It's a small clinic, which I found helpful in navigating treatment, schedules, and billing. Nurses sometimes goofed on details of drug protocols and scheduling, but I just made sure to check things and follow up. They were always very kind and accommodating.
My insurance covered 80% of the cost of the transfer. Some of the drugs weren't covered.
Dr. Dicken suggested we transfer only one embryo rather than the two we had to choose from b/c of my history of miscarriages.
Latino, Black or African-American
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
At our initial meeting, I thought Dr. Dicken was incredible (she still is). She was knowledgeable with just the right amount of empathy and professionalism. We went into detail about my concerns. On the day that we met, I got a surprise positive pregnancy test. I emailed Dr. Dicken and asked if I could use the progesterone that she had prescribed for my upcoming IUI. She responded quickly and gave me the go-ahead to use the progesterone. Unfortunately, that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. Once my first period showed, I went back to SIRM for the IUI. Dr. Dicken was available for the first ultrasound. She explained that she would be out of office over the weekend and that I would see another doctor. Dr. O’Shaughnessy was neither warm nor patient centered. She gave me minimal information during the ultrasound. It felt very impersonal. Still, I figured its only one appointment. I was called that afternoon and told to trigger the next day and come in 2 days after. In that time, I emailed Dr. Dicken about my positive OPK. She assured me that I wasn't ovulating yet. I apologized profusely for constantly emailing her. I was having a tough time. She never responded to my email. Okay. I figured I was going to be seeing her anyway. On the morning of the IUI, I was told that the Doctor was with someone else and would be with me soon. I was taken to a room to undress. I was very surprised to see Dr. O’Shaughnessy walk in. I was baffled. One of the reasons I chose SIRM was the fact that they did things differently. Now, I understand that emergencies happen. What was confusing to me was why no one could let me know that my Doctor was not available. Dr. O’Shaughnessy was very rough. This was my third and most painful IUI ever. She didn't even say what she was doing. She just rammed the speculum and catheter inside of me. She gave me no instruction (even about the progesterone). Didn't tell me how long to lay down for either. I didn't even hear a good luck. I waited 20 minutes, dressed and left quietly. Downstairs in the car, I cried my eyes out. I guess my doctor was busy with another procedure. I just felt like my procedure was not important. She did the old bait and switch on me and I did not appreciate it. The whole "patient centered" thing is nonsense. I don't think I'll even bother going in for beta.
Communication is key. Ask questions and don't let yourself be treated like cattle. Being told that she would be unavailable would have allowed me to be informed and aware of the changes. That is important to women dealing with infertility as we already have little control over most things.
At first, everything was perfect. The structure of visits was totally different than the factories I was used to going to. Unfortunately, it ended up being like most places I have been to. Impersonal and another number.
150 of Menopur. Trigger shot of Ovidrel. Only one follicle. In the two week wait.
My coordinator was Jacqueline. All of the support staff are helpful and nice. Jacqueline responded to me immediately. She had a big smile every time I saw her. I have absolutely nothing but great things to say about her.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Strengths: Scheduled appointments (no early morning blood draws). Front desk staff was efficient. Care coordinator is amazing! Weaknesses: Not all doctors are created equal. Not all doctors will be as great as yours. (Pray your Doctor shows up on the day of your procedure) Also, they need better monitoring equipment (you can not see what they see on ultrasound. In other clinics, there is a tv on the wall so you can view it too. No justified system where you can find your bloodwork results (you have to ask your coordinator to give you details).
Sher Fertility of New York
She [Dr. Cary Dicken] was very honest in predicting our chances and I had the impression she tried everything to enhance our chances to get pregnant. She even gave us some extra medication for free when ours ran out and she felt like I need another injection before egg retrieval. She always made me feel welcome, understood and secure. I loved having her as my doctor in this critical, emotional challenging time.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Dr. Cary Dicken is very understanding and top-notch in her field. We did one round of IVF with my own eggs with her and we got pregnant immediately. Before, we did an IUI with her which didn't result in a pregnancy. She advised us to go do IVF to increase our chances which we did and ended up with a beautiful baby boy. I saw Dr. Dicken every visit (apart from the egg retrieval which was on a weekend with another great doctor on duty). She always made me feel good and optimistic about the whole process. I especially liked that she also answers emails quickly and detailed. Dr. Dicken explains things very easily which was important since I am not a native speaker. I felt that she did her best in giving us the best chance to conceive. What I like most about her is her warm, caring personality. I would recommend her to anybody who wants to do IVF.
Just rest assured hat you are in good hands with her and that she will do the best to get you pregnant.
Dr. Dicken has wonderful bedside manners. She answered all our questions in great detail. She even replied fast to emails. She was very honest in predicting our chances and I had the impression she tried everything to enhance our chances to get pregnant. She even gave us some extra medication for free when ours ran out and she felt like I need another injection before egg retrieval. She always made me feel welcome, understood and secure. I loved having her as my doctor in this critical, emotional challenging time.
I was on a low stimulation plan since my ovarian reserve was still good for my age (38 at the time of treatment). I was a case of unexplained infertility so I didn't have any known issues apart from being Vitamin D insufficient which Dr. Dicken found out in preliminary tests. I also did a genetic test as recommended by Dr. Dicken. The test revealed that I have a MTFHR Mutation, so Dr. Dicken prescribed me extra Folate. Overall, I didn't encounter any problems with the medication. I felt that her treatment plan was excellent.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa who was my nurse coordinator did a good job explaining how to do all the injections and kept me updated about the next steps in the procedure. She was a little bit reserved and could have been a little bit more compassionate. We communicated a lot by email and she always replied in a timely manner. There was another nurse whom I particularly grew fond of. Her name is Jacqueline. She was so welcoming and nice. She really helped me go through the whole process.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
SHER institute is a great clinic to do your IVF with. The doctors working there are all at the top of their field and have great bedside manners. The clinic treats you like a human being. You see one doctor all the time. The rooms are friendly and clean. The downside, they are very pricey, when you have to pay out of your own pocket. They don't offer any grants or discounts for people who don't make so much money like other clinics do. The accounting department is horrible. They gave us a lot of stress with wrong invoices. For example, they charged us for egg freezing while we didn't have anything to freeze. This was not only unprofessional, it was also very insensitive because we would have loved to have more embryos to try for a second child. Also, the girls at the reception desk are not so well trained. For example, I was denied an appointment because the girl didn't know the difference between starting a cycle and doing some pre-testing. I had to contact the doctor directly who sorted things out very quickly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Sher Fertility of New York.
The monitoring appointments fit well into my schedule and once I was there, the wait times weren't long. It was a pretty smooth process.
I don't remember the exact amounts anymore. I was on a "cheaper" low-stimulation plan which SHER institute doesn't offer anymore.
We only had two embryos worth transferring. Given my age Dr. Dicken would have let us decide if two or three embryos were going to be transferred if we had enough.
Sher Fertility of New York
From our first consultation, Dr. Dicken really made an effort to get to know us. She was always available to answer any questions over email, and her tone was always warm and professional. Even when she had bad news to deliver, Dr. Dicken was straightforward but still encouraging...For my IUI cycle, I saw Dr. Dicken for all monitoring appointments. She prescribed me Clomid, and then Ovidrel...Dr. Dicken is very knowledgeable, and thoroughly explains every step of the process.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Dr. Dicken is very knowledgeable, and thoroughly explains every step of the process. From our first meeting, I trusted her expertise and knew I was in capable hands. She helps you decide what is best for you as a couple and doesn't force anything on you. Moreover, Dr. Dicken is kind and friendly, which made the whole process less intimidating. I cannot recommend her highly enough!
Don't be shy to ask questions! Dr. Dicken is great at breaking down complicated test results and procedures, and is always accessible over email.
From our first consultation, Dr. Dicken really made an effort to get to know us. She was always available to answer any questions over email, and her tone was always warm and professional. Even when she had bad news to deliver, Dr. Dicken was straightforward but still encouraging. Believing that she really cares for her patients helped me remain optimistic throughout the process.
For my IUI cycle, I saw Dr. Dicken for all monitoring appointments. She prescribed me Clomid, and then Ovidrel. My husband's counts had been all over the place, and the sample for the IUI wasn't ideal, but it was successful! Dr. Dicken timed it perfectly, and it resulted in a healthy full-term pregnancy.
The nurses were friendly and professional, and provided great care.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Sher has a nice office space, conveniently located in midtown. We never had to wait for an appointment! They opened at 8:00, which allowed me to come in for monitoring before work. They are able to check what your insurance covers before you start treatment, and are organized with billing.
I have GHI, and my treatment was covered. Each visit did have a $50 copay.
We did not do IVF, but Dr. Dicken carefully monitored my follicles before IUI, so as not to risk multiple pregnancies.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Dicken took the time to discuss the issues we were having with recurrent miscarriages thoroughly with both me and my husband. She was kind and warm, but also gave us space to make decisions on our own. She really seems to understand how to support her patients while still giving them the space to deal with an intensely private matter...Dr. Dicken started treatment by meeting with my husband and I for a long period of time, covering every detail of our history. She then laid out a course of potential next steps and treatment, explaining the level of invasiveness of each step. She recommended starting with the least invasive course to gather information and then proceeding from there...
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Dr. Dicken started treatment by meeting with my husband and I for a long period of time, covering every detail of our history. She then laid out a course of potential next steps and treatment, explaining the level of invasiveness of each step. She recommended starting with the least invasive course to gather information and then proceeding from there. She explained the details and purpose of each test and treatment in detail. We were experiencing recurrent miscarriages and she recommended genetic testing for both parents, and a round of Clomid based on our discussion of the timing of my cycles, in an attempt to control the timing of ovulation and improve egg quality. She discovered a few genetic mutations on my genetic test that can affect folic acid levels and can contribute to clotting, resulting in pregnancy loss. She prescribed medications to address the issue and I become pregnant with my son the next cycle abd delivered a healthy baby in September 2016.
Come prepared with as much information as you can - dates, cycle tracking, anecdotal evidence of how you have felt and reacted while trying to get pregnant or during other treatments. Dr. Dicken will gather as much information as possible and factor it into her recommendation. I was impressed that she looked at the length of my cycles, the timing of ovulation according to ovulation strips, the timing of my miscarriages, and noticed a pattern of Kate ovulation. I was glad I had tracked this information. She us extremely thorough.
Letrozole to stimulate earlier ovulation, before degradation of egg begins. Aspirin during conception and blood thinners after conception to prevent clots, after genetic testing revealed predisposition to clotting. High dose folic acid after genetic testing revealed mutation affecting folate levels. High dose omega 3 after natural killer assay was slightly elevated.
The staff was very informed and helpful. They were able and willing to answer questions, and consulted the doctor and got back to me in a timely manner whenever I had concerns.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
the clinic is great - easy to get an appointment, little waiting time, friendly staff. The office is being renovated and the newer floors are beautiful - older floors are fine but a little dark.
I don't remember exact costs but I had good health coverage for these issues. I do recall that Dr Dicken was careful to warn about costs that might not be covered by insurance. The clinic also offers a financial counselor to meet with you at the beginning of treatment, but because my treatments were minimal and my health coverage was good we didn't have such a meeting.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Dicken was thorough and effective in identifying some problems I had with tubal blockage and low egg reserve....Dr. Dicken had the patience to answer my MILLION questions and gave me honest reassurance when I felt overwhelmed and afraid...She took me step by step through the process of IUI then IVF until I had my baby...The first IVF I think was rushed because she was trying to get it done before she herself left to have a baby. But the second round went perfectly. Dr. Dicken was patient with my constant questions and responded to a million emails.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Dr. Dicken was thorough and effective in identifying some problems I had with tubal blockage and low egg reserve. She also tested my husband's doer for amount and quality which were fine. She took me step by step through the process of IUI then IVF until I had my baby. I had a hysterioscopy first to clear my tubes. Then I started hormones and had to undergo three IUI. Dr. Dicken explained that IVF was more effective but I needed IUI's done before my insurance would cover IVF. She was correct. The second IVF resulted in a pregnancy. That IVF I didn't even need injections, just medications. The first IVF I think was rushed because she was trying to get it done before she herself left to have a baby. But the second round went perfectly. Dr. Dicken was patient with my constant questions and responded to a million emails.
Have your health records ready to go, like genetic and medical history.
I had a low egg reserve so a lot of my treatment was smoking up the eggs I had. She measured my hormone levels and gave me hormones in response.
The nursing staff was very personal and compassionate. Also, they were very well informed and reassuring.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
The clothes mix was well run. I wish the hours went into the evening. Juggling work and treatment was very difficult. Also, I wish the financing staff were more readily available.
Much of my treatment was covered by insurance but about a quarter of it was by me. Medications (and there were lots) was mostly covered, but I'm sure I spent a few thousand dollars on medication and treatment. Also, I have paid for egg freezing.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr. Dicken is in a league of her own. Her attitude and knowledge made for an excellent IVF experience. My wife and I were not only blessed with a positive outcome, but also felt totally cared for along the way. After quite a bit of fertility research, we had an initial meeting with Dr. Dicken to discuss our options. We quickly knew she was the best doctor and Sher the right practice to help us expand our family. The IVF process can seem quite overwhelming. Dr. Dicken and the wonderful staff at Sher made sure we had all appointments, calendars, RX’s, and most importantly knowledge along the way. The office is run like a well-oiled machine- rarely a wait, efficient and caring nurses, insurance know-how, and all services onsite. Another couple friend worked with Dr. Dicken/Sher as well; they had the same excellent results and glowing feedback. We enthusiastically recommend Dr. Dicken and Sher to anyone in need of their expertise.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
She is an excellent physician with a great staff. Take notes during an initial appointment but know she is available to answer any questions as you go along
We used my eggs and my wife carried. Neither of us had any known fertility issues. Due to the way we wanted to have our child, IVF was the clear path. Dr. Dicken gave us options of a fresh transfer or a 5 day embryo, we chose the latter. Each process was clearly explained and we made the decision based on our preferred timeline. Felt 100% confident and very well educated
They were the perfect compliment to Dr. Dicken's expertise. Warm, caring, quite proficient... we left feeling like family and always knew we were working with intelligent professionals too.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Don't have any negative comments. Love that the practice has an office manager who researched our insurance coverage, then met with us to review costs ahead of time... this is a HUGE benefit. Scheduling was easy and appointments on time. We've had some invoice needs after our care, and appreciate how quickly we get responses and information via phone or email.
I don't recall exactly because we have insurance and were near our policy out of pocket max. Do remember thinking costs were very reasonable, inline with other practices researched, but with better care.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
All the doctors at Sher are pretty good, but she [Dr Cary dicken] has been our favourite. She is young enough to know all the new treatment and not be stuck in her ways, but also has a good amount of experience....She is an extremely compassionate and competent doctor. Well informed and communicates clearly with her patients - and maybe most importantly listens to the patients and reassures them.
PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
All the doctors at Sher are pretty good, but she has been our favourite. She is young enough to know all the new treatment and not be stuck in her ways, but also has a good amount of experience.
All the nurses know me and my case by name. Dr Dicken has a wonderful bed side manner and is very responsive to questions. She is very compassionate.
Difficult to answer. I have a specific genetic disorder so the protocol was pretty standard (sorry I can't remember all the meds) - I had to get pgs on any embryos created. We had a good protocol to begin with during cycle 1, it was disastrous during cycle 2, so we changed it and found one that worked which produced 1-2 good embryos each cycle - which is the best we could have hoped for.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jacqueline)
I think the only issue that I have with the clinic is that my care coordinator changes ...and I'm never quite sure who it is. However all the nurses are lovely and competent - Jacqueline, cindy, Melissa, bouchra, etc. This only became an issue when it came to calendars and medications. I would have liked to understand why medication (and dosage) was changed each round, often it was changed back when I questioned it because the meds where in similar categories...but then why change it at all to begin with?
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Weaknesses: Care coordination from cycle to cycle and payment procedures. Strengths: staff
10-15,000 per cycle all included with meds, but they do a package upgrade so that it is cheaper if you do 2nd and 3rd cycle with them.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
My Dr had left the practice rather suddenly and I appreciated Dr Dicken taking over my care. We discussed treatment and she said she treated similarly to the Dr I had been seeing. I don't know that she could have done anything better medically, although perhaps if she had seen me as more of her patient and not someone who was out of state and just coming for retrieval - My issue with Dr Dicken was her bedside manner. She was unapproachable, unavailable and very cold. On the few occassions we did see her, she kept us waiting for hours, acted very nonchalantly, and didn't seem invested in me as her patient. On Day 5, no one called me with results, and when I called, I was told it was too late in the day to get news. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Anyone who has undergone IVF and is waiting for day 5 to learn about their embryos knows no call is unacceptable. That evening I received an email from Dr Dicken stating my embryos didn't survive. It was two sentences - with zero kindness or compassion. It was an awful way to learn the outcome. I refused to see Dr Dicken again.
Don't expect kindness or compassion.
I was an out of state patient and it was difficult to ask questions and receive answers. When we did travel to NY, Dr Dicken kept us waiting for hours and was very cold, unreceptive to questions. I felt like patient 1234 versus having the individualized care I've received with other doctors.
overworked. as an out of state patient it was difficult to communicate.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
I had seen a different Dr at this clinic and was very satisfied. It's an older office which looks antiquated compared to some other clinics. Know as an out of state patient you might not get the same emotional care as other patients -
monitored out of state
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
She [Dr. Dicken] is easy to talk to and cares about her patients. She thoroughly answers all questions her patients have and makes herself available by email which was a real blessing. I felt comfortable asking her questions that may have otherwise been uncomfortable to ask should I have had a different doctor (about bleeding I was having etc). I attribute this to her warm, easy-going personality...
3 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Dr. Dicken is a knowledgeable doctor with excellent bedside manner. She is easy to talk to and cares about her patients. She thoroughly answers all questions her patients have and makes herself available by email which was a real blessing. I felt comfortable asking her questions that may have otherwise been uncomfortable to ask should I have had a different doctor (about bleeding I was having etc). I attribute this to her warm, easy-going personality. I went through 2 IVF cycles with Dr. Dicken and the 2nd cycle resulted in my husband and I having two beautiful twin boys! We couldn't be happier with our experience and highly recommend Dr. Dicken to anyone considering IVF treatment.
Don't be afraid to reach out and ask her about concerns you have (I even sent her a picture of a bloody pad)!
Dr. Dicken is warm and personable. She is very responsive to email and genuinely cares about her patients and their results. I felt comfortable asking her any questions I had and she was always patient and thoughtful when answering. I never felt rushed out of her office and felt well taken care of by her.
My 2nd IVF cycle we used a treatment where we quieted down the endometriosis I had. I was given 1 shot every month for 3 months so that my eggs could grow without the endo interfering with their growth. I think this was a key factor in my ability to get pregnant in my 2nd IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York.
The staff at Sher NYC is okay. They can do a better job of providing thorough and complete information to patients since they are the ones who make phone calls to patients and regularly provide them with information about next steps during treatment.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
There are several doctors in the group and they communicate with each other to get advice about their patients. I really like that. It was great to know that my doctor was getting input from more than one physician about my situation and how to best help me.
My treatment was largely covered by my insurance. I think that the overall cost of care was somewhere in the $4,000 to $7,000 dollar range per IVF cycle.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Dicken emails with me personally, takes my ideas seriously, and based my treatment on what was going on with my body, not just standard clinic protocol. I felt like she is really invested in coming up with something that will work for me...The experience has felt much more respectful and caring. She listens, explains things patiently, and tries to be prepared for all roadblocks...I have endometriosis and my first IVF cycle the clinic would only do a 5 day blastocyst transfer and none of my embryos made it to 5 days. She thinks endo can make it harder for them to last til 5 in the lab so wanted to try a day 3 freeze.
European, Black or African-American, Native American
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Honestly, even if this doesn't work, I'm glad we tried our 2nd IVF with Dr. Dicken instead of staying at our old clinic. The experience has felt much more respectful and caring. She listens, explains things patiently, and tries to be prepared for all roadblocks.
Have all your tests and documentation ready for her to review. Tell her your concerns.
I have endometriosis and my first IVF cycle the clinic would only do a 5 day blastocyst transfer and none of my embryos made it to 5 days. She thinks endo can make it harder for them to last til 5 in the lab so wanted to try a day 3 freeze. My first IVF I also had a split cohort of eggs growing at different rates. Because of this, she chose not to start me on BCP, but instead a week of estrogen priming, then 225 gonal f and 75 mg menopur. She also let me try Human Growth Hormone for 5 days, which my former clinic refused to do. Ganirelix the last few days. My eggs all grew at the same rate this time, meaning we could retrieve almost all.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jacqueline Piccardo and Marian Gerges)
Jacqueline and Marian responded really promptly when I had questions or needed coordination with my old clinic who was still doing most of the monitoring. It was night and day between communication response times with Sher and my former clinic. Jacqueline made me feel really good when I showed up in NY, chatting and laughing with me.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Dr. Dicken is on the 6th floor which is decorated really nicely and feels good to be in. The 3rd floor where I had to go a couple times for monitoring, isn't as nice. But all the staff are kind and friendly. It's a small clinic and I didn't feel like a number in a factory. It's in busy Midtown Manhattan so don't try to drive and park.
My insurance covered it, so I had the percentage that they don't pay for, plus $400 for HGH which they don't cover, plus travel and lodging for the 5 days I had to be in NY for monitoring before egg retrieval. As well as cost for donor sperm and embryo freezing.
They will transfer 3 for my age group.
3 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Dr. Dicken was empathetic and gentle in the way that she communicated with me during a very emotional IVF cycle. When asked questions (in-person/via email) she was patient and responded in "laymen" terms...Dr. Dicken missed some red flags in my blood results which led to me experiencing ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). This syndrome is painful and caused my IVF cycle to be delayed. Subsequently, a frozen IVF cycle rather than a fresh transfer was the only recourse for that cycle...Since I have a good ovarian reserve the Antagonist protocol was used.
3 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Do research so you better understand your hormone levels and how that impacts your IVF cycle.
Since I have a good ovarian reserve the Antagonist protocol was used.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York.
From very minor to big mistakes were made during my cycle. I.E., Administering medication too earlier, not ordering a specific test day of transfer.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
STRENGTHS: *sono & blood monitoring appointments are on time, *the waiting room is NOT crowded. *medical staff returns emails fairly quickly *old "matrixed" billing system was updated making medical expenses a lot easier to understand. WEAKNESS: *the outcome for IVF retrieval and IVF transfer is sent via email. If your results are good, great! However, if it is not reading that via email could be traumatizing. *several instances were I was not informed that a retrieval or transfer would be performed by another doctor until I arrived. *If you have a billing issue be prepared for a long wait before your issue is addressed and/or resolved.
Two embryos were transferred each of the two IVF cycles. My age was a factor.
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr. Dicken is qualified and professional. I am very happy that I was able to deliver a healthy child with her intervention. She was flexible about trying both IUI with my own eggs and transfer of donated embryos, as well as with different levels of medication with each IUI...Dr. Dicken is professional and friendly. I appreciate that she is available by email...
3 IUI, IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Consider the team and not just the MD. All staff members impact your care.
Three IUIs, each with increasing levels of ovulation monitoring and ovulation-producing medication. Then two transfers of privately donated embryos, under anesthesia.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Yes, but don't remember)
I had to ask for instructions when I started injecting my medication; instruction was not offered. The nurse was rushed and the encounter was not helpful. The clinic's practice was to provide a link to a YouTube video, which did not exactly mirror my own situation. I had to rely on verbal advice from a nurse friend, by phone.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
The clinic is pleasant and clean. I occasionally had a hard time being buzzed in first thing in the morning. The staff was solicitous, but throughout my long treatment process, problems arose. I was given conflicting or incorrect advice about obtaining medical records, when to fast vs. not fast before a procedure, when to have an empty vs. full bladder before a procedure, whether to take certain medications while fasting.
I do not remember. They were comparable to other facilities in the area, but a bit lower.
Sher Fertility of New York
Dr. Dicken was very professional, accomodating and understanding. She is easy to reach and answers emails promptly. All appointments were right on schedule, never felt rushed and all questions were answered. Was pleased to know that patients' requests and considerations regarding treatment plan were taken into account and changes were made as needed during treatment plan. Good to know that patient's opinion also means something during this difficult journey.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
General advice for all patients undergoing fertility treatments - read, read and read. Be prepared when you go on interview so you can have a conversation. Be your own advocate, know your own history, do research on all procedures. This knowledge will not only allow you to get the best results but will also save you a lot of money.
Personalized care, short wait time, individual approach. Same doctors, same nurses, small practice, feels like home, not like factory.
Antagonist protocol, 3 day transfer, all to freeze.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York.
All staff was easy to reach, professional, all issues were resolved on the same day. For example medication prescription issues.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Keep track of what you do. If you send fax then call and confirm your fax was recieved, stay on top of things, ask questions, double check things if needed.
Mostly paid by insurance, 25 % copayment
Dr. Dicken did have a preference to transfer the least number of embryos.
Endometriosis, None
Dr. Dicken was the third doctor I met with and for whatever reason I knew she would be the doctor that would finally make us parents. I have a sexual assault history and I felt comfortable disclosing this information to her. Before we completed the egg retrieval my anxiety was sky high because I was going to be unconscious-this made me feel extremely vonerable. After discussing my history and anxiety, Dr. Dicken listened with an open mind and reassured me. After that I was mentally ready to finally move forward with IVF.
Endometriosis, None
Trust the process
She always listened to our questions and concerns. Even thought she was the doctor, she valued our opinion during our treatment.
For UIU, we switched from clomid to letrozole because it was better for my lining. The first round of IVF we used birth control but after we canceled that round we left our birth control because I was a slow responder.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jackie P)
Most of the nurses were caring, but Jackie went above and beyond. When we found out we had a chemical pregnancy, Jackie gave me the warmest, comferting hug. She gave us hope that the process would work.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
My only issue with the clinic is scheduling appointments. They will not schedule out appointmeant too far in advance for minetering.
I had a tricky schedule and the clinic was able to work around my availability.
UIU's at the time, out of pocket cost roughly $650, since then the entire IUI procedure now costs around $950 a cycle.
We transferred both eggs because of my low numbers and age.
Sher Fertility of New York
Cary Dicken is a wonderful doctor who really cares about her patients. She answers her e-mails right away, makes time for each patient to ask questions or raise concerns both in person and over the phone. She is calm, nurturing and honest. The way she delivers information is with respect and care. She has amazing communication skills....I love Sher and would highly recommend them to anyone seeking fertility treatment.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
I highly recommend Cary Dicken to anyone who is exploring fertility treatment. I plan on going back to her again soon. She is one of the best doctors I have ever been to. She is kind, caring and sympathetic.
See her as soon as you can so she can explore all options with you.
I first went through blood work and for an HSG test with a radiologist. The doctor she recommended was outstanding. I then took oralmedications and injections to prepare for egg retrieval. On the 3rd try I became pregnant. She was there every step of the way!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: Mellissa was the nurse and Jacqueline was her Coordinator. They were outstanding!)
Mellissa and Jaqueline were both amazing.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
They were very accommodating with my work schedule.
Mine were mostly covered by my insurance plan. If I had to pay out of pocket they looked to be fair.
Sher Fertility of New York
Dr. Dicken is incredibly kind, compassionate and a good listener. She did not sugarcoat bad news but was very sensitive to the stress we were under and always gave me time to make decisions and listened to my concerns and questions. She always responded to my emails...She is excellent in explaining options based on her assessment of your situation. She was realistic but hopeful. She said to me, "if you were my sister, I would tell you not to give up on your own eggs." and it almost made me cry because it felt so good to hear...
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Come in with all of your questions because she will make an effort to respond to them.
The nursing staff overall was wonderful, very supportive and kind, sometimes you had to follow-up with them to be sure that they got your meds orders in but they were very flexible and even allowed me to come into the office to get the sample meds for free once when I didn't have any left.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Sher is a boutique clinic, you see your doctor when you go. They are very personalized. the only issue is with their billing, which is very disorganized.
They are covered for the most part by insurance.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
Cary was very candid and paid extreme attention to detail. I connected with her from the very first day. She took her time to review all my test results and explained clearly the best course of treatment. She insisted that I see other specialist in relation to other health issues I had and intact communicated with those specialist...She was very firm and I'm now grateful for it....Cary L Dicken was very thorough and gave me her time absolutely.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Cary was very candid and paid extreme attention to detail. I connected with her from the very first day. She took her time to review all my test results and explained clearly the best course of treatment. She insisted that I see other specialist in relation to other health issues I had and intact communicated with those specialist. She made sure :that health wise, I was ready to Cary a pregnancy
Listen to Cary and trust her
Cary L Dicken was very thorough and gave me her time absolutely. She was very candid and ensured I was in best of health before starting the fertility treatment. It was obvious she was not: desperate to collect my money and commence treatment until she was sure that my body was ready to carry a pregnancy. She was very firm and I'm now grateful for it.
Can't remember the details but I know the blastocyte was transferred on day 5
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York.
She communicated clearly my treatment regimen. She also helped with procurement of my medication
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
A very organised and we'll put together clinic. Pay extreme attention to detail. Communication is key to them. I. Got a call reminding me of all appointments and what's expected of me. I didn't feel alone at any point
Clinic and medication cost about 20000 dollars
Cary Dicken advised me to transfer a single embryo because of my history. I lost an 18 weeks twin pregnancy the previous year and suggested it was better not to risk a multiple pregnancy
PCOS, Other
Dr. Dicken is smart, caring, compassionate. She understood the emotional implications that go along with treatment. She was always available and responded quickly to my emails. Can't recommend her more highly!!... At sher, you will not feel like your at a fertility factory but rather a human who she will care for and get to know !
PCOS, Other
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
She is the best! Call her for a consultation! You won't be disappointed. At sher, you will not feel like your at a fertility factory but rather a human who she will care for and get to know !
Dr. Dicken is a warm, smart, caring doctor. She was always available to talk by email and wrote me personally to update me. I never felt like I was being treated at a factory. I felt cared for and important.
Letrozole, trigger shot & timed intercourse.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
It is a much smaller feel having some of the larger fertility clinics. I always felt well cared for by the front desk staff, nurses and of course Dr. Dicken
She luckily accepted my insurance.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
It was a personal experience. Dr. Dicken was quick to communicate via email and always explained her decisions - even ones I wasn't happy with. She was open to my suggestions and really made it a team effort...Estrogen priming with high dose Antagonist. I also did intralipid therapy and immune therapy that seemed to help tremendously.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
She was very helpful at explaining things and putting us at ease. The difference in results was day and night - and that had to do with her having a great bedside manner and listening to my worries and reservations.
To ask questions because they will be answered. It was a partnership.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York. (Assigned nurse: jackie)
they were all quick to email and very good at being supportive and nice.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
It is a smaller clinic for NYC but felt very personable. I was able to feel comfortable and see my doctor for every monitoring appointment. that was a real plus.
i was completely self pay. I did a two cycle package
Sher Fertility of New York
Cary [Dr. Dicken] is warm, smart, and professional. She has a friendly demeanor but still feels like your doctor...Cary did some very specific blood work for me that detected an elevated prolactin level, which may have been contributing to implantation problems. Along with prescribing a medicine for that, she also sent me for an MRI to make sure there wasn't something more serious causing that- very thorough...Pleasant, intelligent, answers all questions and emails.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Cary is warm, smart, and professional. She has a friendly demeanor but still feels like your doctor. The office is clean and bright, with tea in the waiting room – does not feel dreary like a hospital.
Trust her!
Pleasant, intelligent, answers all questions and emails.
Good with blood work, more attentive
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
Covered by insurance so far
Sher Fertility of New York
Dr. Dicken is approachable, direct and very up to date on recent developments in fertility technology. I had done a lot of research which she was very open to discussing. She’s also reachable via email and responds within 24 hours normally.... Trustworthy and knowledgeable. I saw her at every appointment. Very communicative and able to be reached directly via email. Only negative I can think of is the appointments are short / can sometimes feel slightly rushed.
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
SIRM patients are often those who’ve not seen success elsewhere, so feel free to do research and come armed with what you’re looking for (how aggressive you’d like to move, concerns, etc).
Letrezole, Ovidrel, IUI
Nursing staff was very nice, organized and compassionate. They tended to rotate between doctors so I often saw different staff.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
This is a boutique clinic that makes you feel confident in your investment, both from a financial and time standpoint. You can book monitoring appointments which is a huge plus for anyone who’s also been treated at a “farm” like NYU or RMA. Only downside is some issues with billing - this department is not as organized as the doctors and nurses and I had some misunderstandings which had to be sorted out. Make sure you’re familiar with your coverage and are billed as such.
$1000-2000 for IUI and medication
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Dicken is well informed, compassionate and kind. She’s a seasoned professional and practitioner. Still, there were times when she was not as clear as she could have been due to fatigue. It is my impression that the work/life balancing act was at times overwhelming. This at times led to inconsistent statements and instructions...
Investment Banker
How was your experience with Cary Dicken at Sher Fertility of New York?
Ask many questions and take copious notes.
People always greeted us by name and knew the details of our case file.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sher Fertility of New York.
They definitely valued teamwork and worked together to provide good patient care.
Describe your experience with Sher Fertility of New York.
The offices are very clean, cozy and welcoming. The staff are very professional and compassionate. All of the different practitioners know their stuff and do their very best to be attentive and supportive.
$5,000 per cycle with insurance.