NYU

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolNYU
ResidencyNYU
FellowshipMount Sinai
NY - E 30th
338 East 30th Street
212-683-0090
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Caryn Selick to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend NYU to a friend?
2011 - 2013
4 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Dr. Selick is a competent doctor, but her bedside manner could use a lot of work. Sometimes she could be very nice and compassionate, but other times she was terse and gave short answers to questions, or would comment as she walked out the door about something. She was also taking direction on meds from RMA and consulting with them with regard to timing of everything, which I actually liked.
2011 - 2013
4 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Caryn Selick at Manhattan Fertility & Gynecology?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caryn Selick at Manhattan Fertility & Gynecology?
Just go straight to RMA. The fact that she is affiliated with them didn't provide me with any extra benefit at the end of the day. Had her bedside manner been completely different, it would be a great thing to experience.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caryn Selick at Manhattan Fertility & Gynecology?
Dr. Selick has her own practice which is affliated with RMA in Manhattan. All of my monitoring was done at her office, but the actual egg retrieval and embryo transfers were done at RMA. This is potentially good, since you get the "boutique feel" while also getting the benefit of services from a big fertility clinic and lab.
Describe the protocols Caryn Selick used in your cycles at Manhattan Fertility & Gynecology and their degree of success.
I don't remember the specifics of the drugs used at this point, but it was driven by RMA's protocols at the time. The first several IVF cycles I did were Day 3 transfers, but then RMA changed its policy to 5 Day transfers, so my last one was a Day 5 transfer. At first, Dr Selick put me on the pill for a month before doing an IVF cycle, but I hated that part, so we stopped doing that towards the end. She did listen to me about that, and didn't insist on it. However, when I requested and alternative to the progesterone shots (i.e. Crinone) she felt that the shots were more effective (I ultimately got pregnant elsewhere using Crinone).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Manhattan Fertility & Gynecology. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca)
Rebecca likes to call everyone "sweetie" or something like that, which got annoying. She is VERY no-nonsense, and also didn't have a great bedside manner. She also overused the same vein in my left arm to the point it got completely shot and can no longer be used for a blood draw. Sometimes it would take her a long time to get a blood draw, which I didn't experience elsewhere.
Describe your experience with Manhattan Fertility & Gynecology.
I would have early morning appointments and still wait, which was annoying. They were pretty good about calling with instructions for the following day during and IVF cycle. I did end up going back to Dr Selick after I got pregnant with RBA in Atlanta for early pregnancy monitoring, and she was truly happy for me. When we said goodbye, she gave me a big hug and told me she loved me! I was very surprised by that, but I guess it just goes to show that even a bad bedside manner doesn't tell the whole story. I guess that's just her manner.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caryn Selick at Manhattan Fertility & Gynecology.
Her costs were the same as RMA. I did all the paperwork, etc at the RMA offices.
Describe Caryn Selick's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Manhattan Fertility & Gynecology.
Given my age and the number of embryos, we transferred everything.
Manhattan Fertility & Gynecology
Manhattan
Caryn is a no-nonsense doctor. She will look you right in the eyes and tell you, without sugar-coating life, what you need to do to get what you want out of the fertility process. We initially went to her, hoping to do an IUI cycle, and she quickly (after finishing all testing) referred us to start an IVF cycle with another doctor...She is forthright, and yet very caring when doing testing that seems invasive. She's real and exudes a motherly vibe (that you can trust)...
How was your experience with Caryn Selick at NYU?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caryn Selick at NYU?
If seeking IUI's - go to Caryn, she will absolutely help you
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caryn Selick at NYU?
Describe the protocols Caryn Selick used in your cycles at NYU and their degree of success.
I mentioned this before - she did a whole run-down of tests with us - and quickly recommended we run to get IVF - I'm not getting any younger! We appreciated her honesty
Describe your experience with your nurse at NYU. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca)
Rebecca is fantastic - kind and quick like Caryn. She is on top of it and you can tell a valuable asset to Dr. Selick
Describe your experience with NYU.
I only went to their office (not NYU's big fertility clinic) - it is dated, and seems like it needs a good face-lift, but I honestly appreciated the vibe, it's not pretentious
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caryn Selick at NYU.
Since we did not do any treatments w/ Dr. Selick, we were only billed office visit bills (co-pay) that were covered by our insurance
NYU
NY - E 30th
2010 - 2011
IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
She cared deeply about her patients and was so generous in even helping us by donating the costs of the med[ication] during our second round.
2010 - 2011
IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Caryn Selick at RMA of New York?
She was an incredible doctor. Highly intelligent and direct communicator and very, very thourough. She cared deeply about her patients and was so generous in even helping us by donating the costs of the meds during our second round. I continue to see her as my OB and have enormous respect for her. She has gotten a number of my friends pregnant too.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caryn Selick at RMA of New York?
Be prepared for the worst news and be very patient. Infertility is a roller coaster and generally involves a long ride.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca)
Rebecca was awesome. Also direct, but cares about her patients and communicated my results always in a timely manner.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was excellent, again highly professional and punctual.
RMA of New York