Medical SchoolU. of Minnesota
ResidencyU. of Michigan
3111 Gundersen Dr.
Onalaska, WI 54650
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Catherine Ryan to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Gundersen Fertility Center to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 65%Don't recommend: 35%8
Anovulation, Endometriosis
Dr. Ryan is very personable. She explains things so we can understand them, and keeps increasing our dosage of Letrozole as needed. She's compassionate, but realistic. She didnt want us to try for our 3rd IUI over the holidays due to it being so emotional as well as the scheduling can be difficult. It was the mental break I needed to be able to want to continue....Dr. Ryan first started with a consult, then recommened an HCG ultra sound.
Gundersen is a wonderful facility. The staff is always welcoming and friendly. They show compassion amd help get appointments scheduled to work on both your end and the doctors. I would caution that the womens floor is all one floor, so you will see pregnant women and newborn babies there. It can be hard from time to time... The nursing staff is wonderful. They have listened to my fears, anger, and frustration. I've cried to them and never felt more carried for.
Anovulation, Endometriosis
How was your experience with Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center?
Dr. Ryan is very personable. She explains things so we can understand them, and keeps increasing our dosage of Letrozole as needed. She's compassionate, but realistic. She didnt want us to try for our 3rd IUI over the holidays due to it being so emotional as well as the scheduling can be difficult. It was the mental break I needed to be able to want to continue. We are on year 3 of trying.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center?
Have your questions ready, and be ready to listen. She has a vast range of knowledge.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center?
She always takes time to explain herself and what she can see while during our ultrasounds for folical checking. She answers our questions and keeps us informed on the next steps if needed. She was also able to diagnose my endometriosis.
Describe the protocols Catherine Ryan used in your cycles at Gundersen Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Dr. Ryan first started with a consult, then recommened an HCG ultra sound. This is where she got the idea I might have endometriosis, along with other symptoms I had described. After my endo surgery, she had us try naturally for 1 month, to which we had no success. The next cycle, she started me on Letrozole. After taking the pills cycle day 3-7, I would then go in around day 10 for an ultrasound to check my folical size. After a few failed attempts with meds only, we decided to try IUI with HCG. We have completed 2, and are on track for our 3 in the upcoming month.
Describe your experience with Gundersen Fertility Center.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center.
The IUI with meds and the procedure would cost around $800 a time. Otherwise I dont remeber the cost per visit, as we met my deductible with the Endo surgery..
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center.

She [Dr. Catherine Ryan] is the only fertility doctor in the area and does not do IVF treatments, other than that she is very intelligent and has helped my spouse and I get a lot of answers.... My first few cycles I used letrozole, with other supplemental medication, including estradiol, prometrium and a trigger shot. Not all cycles was I able to do an insemination, due to my follicle sizes. With this regimen they do one ultrasound and no blood work. My husband and I had to ask for additional testing. I will now be switching to follistim injections with my next cycle, so medications and treatment regimen will change.
The fertility department at Gundersen definitely could use some improvement. They currently do not do any IVF treatments and are limited to one provider and one PA. Therefore, scheduling is very difficult and you do not get a lot of individualized care and attention... I really liked the first nurse I had but, after a few months of treatments, she transferred to a different department. I have not gotten to know any of the other nurses well as it has not been consistent.
How was your experience with Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center?
She is very intelligent, and always explains things in detail, to ensure i understand the process or my situation. She is very kind and considerate as well. I think she is a wonderful doctor, but definitely has too much on her plate being the only female fertility doctor in the area. Therefore, she doesn’t get to focus on individuals care as much as I would prefer.
She is the only fertility doctor in the area and does not do IVF treatments, other than that she is very intelligent and has helped my spouse and I get a lot of answers.
She is the only fertility doc in my area, therefore, she is very difficult to schedule with and I did not hear from her unless it was at a scheduled visit.
Describe your experience with Gundersen Fertility Center.
Diagnostic care covered by insurance, all other costs are out of pocket.
What specific things went wrong at Gundersen Fertility Center?

Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr. Ryan is very thorough in each of her visits. I feel that we get at least 30 minutes with her each time we are there. She is very caring and understanding of what we are going through. Sometimes I feel like we could speed up the steps we're taking (i.e. upping medication more quickly, etc), but she ultimately knows what's best. She performed my endometriosis surgery and was very caring throughout the hospital visit.
The clinic [Gundersen Fertility Center- Onlaska] has you show up 15 minutes before your appt time. I am never in the waiting room for more than 5 minute past my appt time. You do share the waiting area with the Women's Clinic so you often see pregnant women and newborn babies, which can be challenging.... I feel like I spend a lot of time on the phone with the staff getting updates, or discussing prescriptions. I leave a message for the nurses line and they always call back within 30 minutes. When they call back, they have talked to the doctor, know exactly where I'm at in my cycle, and are always positive
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. She does provide a lot of information, but sometimes I want more, and she's willing to give it.
Dr. Ryan always takes the time to answer our questions, no matter how simple they may seem. I remember her holding my hand as they put my under for my endometriosis surgery. She has been incredibly supportive to us.
I was started on thyroid medication due to my levels being in the 5s. I was first prescribed 25mg, and then upped to 50, and then again upped to 75. 75 ended up being too high, so I know take 1 pill 5 days a week, and half a pill 2 days a week. I had high levels of prolactin so she has me on Cabergoline. I started at a very low dose (one half pill one day a week) and my levels check out. After my levels were in the correct range, she decided to do lap surgery. It was discovered that I had Stage 3, with scar tissue attaching my right ovary to my pelvis, making it nearly impossible for an egg to leave that ovary. After surgery, she suggested we try naturally for 6 months as all should be working correctly. After 6 months of unsuccessful natural cycles, she started my on 2.5 of Letrozole for my first IUI. The 2.5 did make a couple of additional follicles, but not mature enough to release an egg. Due to holiday timing, we had to skip the IUI and go with a natural cycle. For my second month of Letrozole, she kept me on 2.5 because she has seen low follicle outputs over the holidays. I did have 5 extra follicles, but none of them were mature enough. I did trigger with 10,000 units of Pregnyl. If this current cycle isn'y successful, she will move me to 5 of Letrozole.
I feel like I spend a lot of time on the phone with the staff getting updates, or discussing prescriptions. I leave a message for the nurses line and they always call back within 30 minutes. When they call back, they have talked to the doctor, know exactly where I'm at in my cycle, and are always positive.
Describe your experience with Gundersen Fertility Center.
The clinic has you show up 15 minutes before your appt time. I am never in the waiting room for more than 5 minute past my appt time. You do share the waiting area with the Women's Clinic so you often see pregnant women and newborn babies, which can be challenging.
Monitoring Ultrasound - $107 HCG Trigger Shot - $130 IUI - $515

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
was not told I had PCOS [by Dr. Catherine Ryan] until the 6th iui failed. Each time the physician assistant would recommend a treatment course for the next iui and the time would come and Dr. Ryan would do something else that was less aggressive...Going through 7 iui’s I became more disappointed every time. Was told multiple times we would get more aggressive with the med protocol, but I feel we never became aggressive because she would say we wanna try less expensive options even though we were ok with the cost.
The nursing staff [at Gundersen Fertility Center] was amazing. I interacted with several and only had one I didn’t care for...Iui was $489 now they raised it to almost $600. Monitoring ultrasound was about $134...Their billing department is not organized. I pre pay every time and they never apply the payment to the bill so I have to call every month to get it applied. They also raised the prices of the iui itself and didn’t tell us until we were writing the check. They raised it by quite a bit which put a financial strain on us for that month.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center?
Going through 7 iui’s I became more disappointed every time. Was told multiple times we would get more aggressive with the med protocol, but I feel we never became aggressive because she would say we wanna try less expensive options even though we were ok with the cost. Also was not told I had PCOS until the 6th iui failed. Each time the physician assistant would recommend a treatment course for the next iui and the time would come and Dr. Ryan would do something else that was less aggressive.
Do your own research because if you don’t things aren’t explained well at all and you need to be your own advocate with this clinic.
Not much time spent explaining things. Didn’t even tell me I had PCOS until the 6th iui failed
Started with 2.5mg of letrozole for 4 cycles with a trigger shot. After 4 failed rounds she increased it to 5mg. I still only produced one mature follicle. The 6th cycle we increased it to 7.5mg and still only had one mature follicle. The 7th cycle she added Dexamethasone which resulted in 2 follicles.
The nursing staff was amazing. I interacted with several and only had one I didn’t care for.

Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Ryan was very blunt and she stated that I wouldn't ever regain my menstrual cycles on my own which in fact I did. She never spent individual time with me, I was always rushed in and out of appointments. She also gave my fiance and I false hope. Dr. Ryan didn't really listen to my concerns and you promised that we would get pregnant within no time...She never gave me the time that I needed to talk to her about my treatments. Rushed in and out of appointments
The staff [Gundersen Fertility Center] is friendly and knowledge but I feel as if I'm just a number and they want my money...the nursing staff in particular diane was very nice and compassionate. She listened to my questions and concerns. Ruth wasn't as compassionate but she was still nice...My prescription wasn't sent to the pharmacy so I had to do some run around work to get my medication. Also, the scheduler schedule my appointment for the wrong month.
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center?
Try to remain positive through these tough times but don't get your hopes up. Wait until you see the positive pregnancy test.
Menopur 75units daily, monitoring ultrasounds. Pregnyl trigger and iui with progesterone suppositories for the first two cycles. Third cycle add follistim to help grow follicles. So, cycle 3and 4menopur plus follistim, monitored ultrasound, pregnyl and iui and progesterone suppositories. Took time off.. Regained cycles on my own. Started letrozole 5mg per day on days 3-7.. Menopur 2 (leftovers) Pregnyl and TI - only two follicles, progesterone suppositories. 6 cycle letrozole 5mg 3-7, pregnyl, TI progesterone.. Only one follicle. 7 cycle letrozole 7.5mg, lining think, natural ovulation..
The nursing staff in particular diane was very nice and compassionate. She listened to my questions and concerns. Ruth wasn't as compassionate but she was still nice.
Describe your experience with Gundersen Fertility Center.
The clinic is close to my house which is nice. The staff is friendly and knowledge but I feel as if I'm just a number and they want my money.
Menopur injections were over 1,200 each cycle (4). Follistim 500 for each cycle (2). Pregnyl for each cycle 139.50(7). Letrozole 12$ first two, 20 for the last. Progesterone 88-100 each cycle. In addition to these out of pocket expenses doctor bills range well over 7,000
What specific things went wrong at Gundersen Fertility Center?
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Ryan is incredibly knowledgeable. She took a great deal of time sitting with me and explaining treatment options and a plan. She listened to my concerns and was very helpful in answering my questions.... Dr. Ryan is very personable. She explains things in a very easy to understand way.... My first treatment included 2,000 mg of Metformin. If this doesn’t work, she will prescribe letrozole depending on my next progesterone test.
The whole nursing staff [Gundersen Fertility Ctr] is wonderful. They are incredibly easy to talk to. They are great at answering my questions.... Very good overall. Only complaint is that at my last appointment, I had to wait 20 minuets past my scheduled appointment time. The ladies at the front desk can be very chatty and loud when I’m not sure it is always appropriate.... Testing was expensive, but I was thankful my insurance covered a lot of it.
How was your experience with Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center?
Be open about your concerns. The more she knows, the better she can help you.
My first treatment included 2,000 mg of Metformin. If this doesn’t work, she will prescribe letrozole depending on my next progesterone test. I may also have surgery for endometriosis in the next few months.
The whole nursing staff is wonderful. They are incredibly easy to talk to. They are great at answering my questions.
Describe your experience with Gundersen Fertility Center.
Testing was expensive, but I was thankful my insurance covered a lot of it.

2006 - 2018
she [Dr. Ryan] is amazing always supportive in good/bad situations... She did our IUI back in June 2016 and that turned into a wonderful pregnancy and then we got pregnant in feb 2017 and ended in a miscarriage but for both she was supportive in every which way when we had our miscarriage she sent us a baby ring to remember our angel... ask as many questions as you need to she will take the time to answer every single one
Gundersen does not do IVF at the moment but they still do IUI's. If you know you need IVF then you'll need to look elsewhere but overall this clinic and fertility staff is amazing and would recommend anyone going there... they [nurses] were vary thoughtful and called me every so often to check and see how I was doing... she [Dr. Ryan] is amazing always supportive in good/bad situations... She did our IUI back in June 2016 and that turned into a wonderful pregnancy and then we got pregnant in feb 2017
2006 - 2018
How was your experience with Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center?
she is amazing always supportive in good/bad situations... She did our IUI back in June 2016 and that turned into a wonderful pregnancy and then we got pregnant in feb 2017 and ended in a miscarriage but for both she was supportive in every which way when we had our miscarriage she sent us a baby ring to remember our angel
She was always friendly
unfortunately with all of the IUI's that we ended up doing I don't remember the protocols
Describe your experience with your nurse at Gundersen Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Nikki and Katherine)
they were vary thoughtful and called me every so often to check and see how I was doing
Describe your experience with Gundersen Fertility Center.
if starting a family was not so expensive I know raising kids are not cheap by all means but getting pregnant should not cost thousands of dollars
Describe Catherine Ryan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Gundersen Fertility Center.
did not do IVF as to we could not afford it

1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
I felt incredibly safe and taken care of in Dr. Ryan's care. She was a patient listener and an expert communicator. Her soft-spoken manner was very comforting to me. I still look forward to seeing her for check-ups, even though the fertility clinic there has since closed.... Dr. Ryan discouraged multiple embryo transfers, and I completely understood her rationale (even though we elected to go forward with transferring 2 embryos).
All was wonderful [at Gunderson Fertility Center-Onalaska]. The only part I didn't like was that they "batched' patients' cycles (so we all had to be "programmed" to cycle on the same day). I prefer more of an individual approach, with less medications.... The fertility clinic was like a second family to us - we visited them with our baby girl post-pregnancy and it was a very emotional and wonderful time for all of us.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Catherine Ryan at Gundersen Fertility Center?
I would tell her to trust her and trust the process.
She was incredibly sweet to me and respectful
Dr. Ryan removed a polyp at one point - though it hurt, she very carefully explained the entire process. This led to a positive pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Gundersen Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Diane)
Describe your experience with Gundersen Fertility Center.
None! All was wonderful. The only part I didn't like was that they "batched' patients' cycles (so we all had to be "programmed" to cycle on the same day). I prefer more of an individual approach, with less medications.