Nurse available by email
ResidencyMetro Health Medical
FellowshipMayo
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Chandra Shenoy to a friend?
Neutral: 43%Don't recommend: 57%5.3
6.1

7.1

5.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mayo Clinic to a friend?
She [Dr. Shenoy] tended to provide as little information as was necessary, while I repeatedly said that I need to understand the entire process and know the details. I often had to ask questions to seek clarification, gain new information, and better understand the reasons behind treatment decisions. I had a difficult experience with a saline sonogram where she and team attempted to check for uterine polyps. They had difficulty completing the procedure and viewing the uterus, and I left feeling unconfident and uncomfortable. Dr. Shenoy is a capable doctor and did respond to all of my questions in person or through the online portal. She completed all medical tasks needed; however, she did not go above and beyond to make me feel cared about.
Very one size fits all treatment [at Mayo Clinic]. Rotation between different doctors. Some doctors had amazing bedside manner. All of the doctors are very knowledgeable. Everything is done online via the portal. Pregnancy results are sent via the portal and no personal phone call is made until the next day...I was repeatedly told what they do for the IVF process in a very one size fits all manner...As I am diagnosed with unexplained infertility, I often had questions aimed at digging deeper into why my body was performing a certain way. These questions/concerns were not looked into further besides telling me what their protocol typically is.
How was your experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Shenoy is very knowledgeable and could readily explain best practice. She attempted warmth with smiles. Besides smiling, she demonstrated a reserved, slightly cold personality. She tended to provide as little information as was necessary, while I repeatedly said that I need to understand the entire process and know the details. I often had to ask questions to seek clarification, gain new information, and better understand the reasons behind treatment decisions. I had a difficult experience with a saline sonogram where she and team attempted to check for uterine polyps. They had difficulty completing the procedure and viewing the uterus, and I left feeling unconfident and uncomfortable. Dr. Shenoy is a capable doctor and did respond to all of my questions in person or through the online portal. She completed all medical tasks needed; however, she did not go above and beyond to make me feel cared about.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
Make sure you ask lots of questions and advocate for yourself. She is very knowledgeable and capable, but your personality might not mesh with hers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
There was very little personalization in care. At Mayo Clinic, the doctors rotate care so you may get a different doctor depending on the day. I was repeatedly told what they do for the IVF process in a very one size fits all manner. Under her care, nurses sent impersonal online portal messages. As I am diagnosed with unexplained infertility, I often had questions aimed at digging deeper into why my body was performing a certain way. These questions/concerns were not looked into further besides telling me what their protocol typically is.
Describe the protocols Chandra Shenoy used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
I was given the standard Mayo Clinic REI department protocol. Due to my age below 35, I was told they only transfer 1 embryo at a time as a precaution to prevent the risk of twins. I began with birth control pills which I had been on for months due to issues with cysts. I was on Gonal F (225) Menopur (150) for 10 stim days. I had 2 monitoring ultrasounds because after the first one, my follicles took an extra day or two to mature, so a follow up was needed. No other blood work was done throughout the cycle. I took Cetrotide one day, and after was the trigger (hcg 10,000). Bloodwork was completed on day 4, 6, and 8. After the first and second blood tests my doses were increased due to slower response. My retrieval was two days after the trigger in the morning. 18 eggs, 13 mature, 6 fertilized, and 1 was blastocyst embryo by the time of transfer. I had a fresh embryo transfer five days later. 2 additional embryos became blastocyst and were frozen that day/evening. My transfer failed. A second embryo from that retrieval was transferred 3 months later using the FET protocol. The transfer was done with a different doctor at Mayo, but that embryo also did not implant and it failed.
Nurses are limited to the level of communication they provide due to the online portal limitations. Some nurses were far better communicators than others. I noticed several errors in the online communications that were due to clerical typing issues. Additionally, I had one difficult experience that was due to a mix up behind the scenes. When I needed a follow up ultrasound due to fluid on my uterine lining during an FET and was told to call and schedule the ultrasound, I called the front desk to set it up, but they said no orders for an ultrasound had been placed. So, the appointment desk left a message with the nursing team regarding this matter. In response a few hours later, I received a short message from nurse staff stating that if I’d like to schedule an ultrasound, please contact appointment desk (which I had already done). Once that was sorted out, I was able to schedule an appointment. I attend that appointment in a later week, and the ultrasound tech began the process for a follicle assessment. I had to tell the employee that I was not being seen for a follicle count as I was in the middle of an FET cycle. I had to explain to her that this appointment was supposed to be a follow up to check for fluid on my lining. The tech apologized and said that the order was made for a follicle assessment. Since I caught the mistake, the correct pictures were taken, but I left that appointment feeling very upset that someone behind the scenes put in the wrong order.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Very one size fits all treatment. Rotation between different doctors. Some doctors had amazing bedside manner. All of the doctors are very knowledgeable. Everything is done online via the portal. Pregnancy results are sent via the portal and no personal phone call is made until the next day.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Mayo Clinic.
Ultrasound monitoring was run like a well oiled machine, but you had to call and schedule your own appointment within the time frame allowed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic.
Retrieval with fresh transfer was $15,000. Frozen Embryo Transfer was approximately $5,500.
Describe Chandra Shenoy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
Doctors at Mayo strongly recommend one embryo at a time.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic.

Make sure you ask questions, otherwise she [Dr. Shenoy] doesnt really say much...I went from using lupron, and trigger injections for 6 cycles, straight to IVF...we had to convert to a freeze all cycle due to hyperstimulation...She didnt really argue against my request to transfer two embryos after the first 2 single transfers had failed...in the beginning of starting everything that she seemed very robotic, like she had the same speech for everybody. But then towards the end of my time that I spent at that clinic It seemed that the more negative results I got, the more sympathetic and personable she became.
sometimes the doctors [at Mayo Clinic] would put in the notes what and when my next lab, appointment, ultrasound, etc. would be, but it would never get scheduled so i would have to call and remind them to schedule it. Other times they would order a medication and i would go pick it up, and it was never actually sent to pharmacy, so i would have to wait for them to call the doctors and wait for it to be ready...It seems like they do the same treatment for every single person and are not open to alternate options and protocols. every idea i had read about other fertility clinics doing in the surrounding area was shot down because they said that there isn't any true evidence that "said idea" actually works.
How was your experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
She was good with explaining and answering any questions that i had. But every time something failed, it was always the same answer. "we dont really know what happens, or why they dont implant". And maybe that is truly the case, but I wish she would have tried harder to come up with a different plan every time and try something new.
Make sure you ask questions, otherwise she doesnt really say much.
There were times in the beginning of starting everything that she seemed very robotic, like she had the same speech for everybody. But then towards the end of my time that I spent at that clinic It seemed that the more negative results I got, the more sympathetic and personable she became.
I went from using lupron, and trigger injections for 6 cycles, straight to IVF. I used menopur, ganirelix, gonal-f, lupron...probably other but i dont remember them all. we had to convert to a freeze all cycle due to hyperstimulation. I kept bleeding right after starting progesterone in oil and we would have to cancel the cycle. They then decided to have me do the estrace vaginally instead of orally, and that stopped the bleeding prior to the transfer.
The nursing staff were all wonderful. They were very supportive and compassionate. It felt nice leaving and feeling like they truly genuinely wanted everything to work out for you.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The clinic works as a team approach to everything. so although i had Dr. Shenoy for a majority of my procedures, i had a mix of all of them at some point. This is good and bad in my opinion. it was great because they can all get together and put their brains together to try to help you get pregnant, but i also feel like none of them are truly invested in me. My biggest complaint is that i feel like a doll on a factory assembly line. It seems like they do the same treatment for every single person and are not open to alternate options and protocols. every idea i had read about other fertility clinics doing in the surrounding area was shot down because they said that there isn't any true evidence that "said idea" actually works.
the cost for my stimulation and egg retrieval was $12,000 for the procedure, and monitoring. and i paid about $6000 out of pocket for my medications. Each frozen embryo transfer costed $4000, and ultrasounds were anywhere from $600-$1000. Medications for FET were much cheaper. Lupron was about $80 per vial, and Progesterone in oil was $10. Estrace was so minimal in cost i dont even remember caring about the cost.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Mayo Clinic.
sometimes the doctors would put in the notes what and when my next lab, appointment, ultrasound, etc. would be, but it would never get scheduled so i would have to call and remind them to schedule it. Other times they would order a medication and i would go pick it up, and it was never actually sent to pharmacy, so i would have to wait for them to call the doctors and wait for it to be ready.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Shenoy switched me from Clomid to Letrozole, because she told me that according to research, she thought I would have a better success rate on Letrozole. She also discussed more "aggressive" treatment options, such as hcg injections with monitoring and IUIs, but helped me decide at that point in time I was okay with just trying the oral medication. She also explained future options and at what point she would recommend IVF.
Mayo Clinic is obviously a great institution and one of the best hospitals in the world. At times, I have felt that they are so confident in their abilities and treatments as a whole that individual concerns and exceptions get overlooked.... One time my prescription was called in under my husband's name. To be fair, they were treating us as a couple in Reproductive Endocrinology, so both of our records were open when the prescription was made. They did correct the problem as soon as it was discovered.
How was your experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Shenoy seemed very attentive during her time with me. She listened to everything I had to say, did a great job explaining her reasons for her recommended treatment, and answered all of my questions. She was also very quick to respond to questions I had after the appointment via Mayo's patient messaging system.
Dr. Shenoy listened to all of my concerns and answered all of my questions. Feeling listened too has not always been the case in this journey.
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Mayo Clinic.
+ Read more- Read less

Very helpful and made sure I knew what was going on was able to answer any questions that I had. Posted updates to my procedures on my online portal. Chandra [ Shenoy] did my egg retrieval and first transfer..unfortunately it was unsuccessful... I was only able to transfer 1 embryo my first time....being as I only had 2 embryos left after that..I was given the option to transfer 1 or 2
Mayo clinic is a great place and they are very helpful. The only thing I didn't like compared to some other places is the cost of the IVF procedure... The amount I had to pay for the IVf procedure was 9100..there was a 3500 monitoring fee that went through my insurance and remaining was billed later... Excellent team and were very responsive to all my questions that I sent on the online portal!!
How was your experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
Very helpful and made sure I knew what was going on was able to answer any questions that I had. Posted updates to my procedures on my online portal. Chandra did my egg retrieval and first transfer..unfortunately it was unsuccessful
Very friendly
The whole team reached out to me and was able to answer my questions when I had them through the portal
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Mayo clinic is a great place and they are very helpful. The only thing I didn't like compared to some other places is the cost of the IVF procedure...if the cost was a lot lower I would continue to go to then. However I've heard of other great places that are significantly cheaper and am goin to be goin that route. Other then cost I never had an issue with Mayo Clinic