5.2

200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905

2021, Unknown Success
Surrogacy With Other Docs
The [Mayo Clinic] team works very well together. They support one another and work together seamlessly. They all knew what was going on with my case and were able to make recommendations on next steps right away without back and forth, even in more urgent situations...I absolutely love the nurse that was there at my retrieval. She was such a positive force and blessing to have present.
How was your experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Shenoy is excellent. She helped us navigate through a process that was both physically and mentally very challenging. She understood, acknowledged, and adjusted care based on the mental impacts of the process which was much appreciated. She encouraged us to push forward several times when weren't sure and she was right in doing so. She didn't always just provide the answers we wanted to hear which is a sign of a great doctor. We met with several other providers prior and they were all willing to do whatever we wanted. Dr. Shenoy and team listened to our goals and gently pushed us in the direction that they know would allow us to best achieve them rather than just allowing us to make a decision based on our initial comfort levels which would not have led to the best outcomes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Shenoy is a bit more on the quiet side. If you have questions, ask them. She will have or find the answers for you. Share how you are feeling with her and she will help you to make the best decisions for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
All experiences with Dr. Shenoy and team were very customized and thoughtful. The whole team showed great empathy, went to great lengths to answer all questions, and were extremely focused on our comfort as we were extremely nervous throughout the entire process. The initial process of identifying outside monitoring and the standard process during the start of the cycle were more hands off so felt a bit more like a number - but when any needs arose during this time the team was 1,000% ready to help.
Describe the protocols Chandra Shenoy used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
Started with standard birth control. I think my body may have overreacted to the medication based on my side effects and it seemed like I started the cycle overly suppressed (but that's my thought/ opinion). Was on mid-range doses for standard IVF. My Gonal-F stayed the same but Menopur was doubled around mid-cycle. I responded slowly at first and the cycle was longer than I expected - because I'm usually always very sensitive to medications. In the end my e2 levels looked good (around 3,600 at trigger) but only had 5 measurable follicles. Lupron trigger which may not have worked based on the bloodwork the next day so I freaked out that we'd have to cancel at the last minute. The team reassured me that it was OK and we did a second HCG trigger ASAP the day prior. Day of retrieval 22 eggs were retrieved which was a big surprise. 20 were mature, 17 fertilized, 16 made it to day 3, 12 were graded A or B on day 5 and were frozen. 4 PGT-A normal.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Mayo Clinic.
Because I had to undergo outside monitoring and I didn't have a designated nursing contact the start of the process was a bit hectic. The team was very responsive in general, but a few times in situations where turnaround were urgent I became really nervous about getting responses in time. That said, the team was incredibly caring, compassionate, and well organized. I absolutely love the nurse that was there at my retrieval. She was such a positive force and blessing to have present.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The team works very well together. They support one another and work together seamlessly. They all knew what was going on with my case and were able to make recommendations on next steps right away without back and forth, even in more urgent situations.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic.
Medications: $5,660.53 Total Cost without insurance including necessary travel: $47,896.19 Total Out of Pocket including necessary travel: $17,681.90
Describe Chandra Shenoy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
Single embryo transfer is generally recommended and required for surrogacy with PGT-A normal embryos
What specific things went wrong at Mayo Clinic?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Mayo Clinic.
I wouldn't define the situation as things going wrong at the clinic, but there was some room for improvement in my medication plan. I am very sensitive to medications and an existing medicine that I take had an interaction with the birth control needed at the start. It caused significant symptoms which required my physician outside of the fertility clinic to need to adjust my medication. Once the situation was realized and understood, a fix was put into place quickly but the process to get to the point of understanding was a bit nerve wracking. It was a unique situation though - not an everyday situation.

2020 - 2021, Successful
[Dr. Shenoy] is very professional, but also personal. She kept me informed and explained everything after my egg retrieval in a way that I could understand. We had her again for a frozen embryo transfer and felt very confident in her doing our transfer...[she] Recommend 1 our first three rounds...She was great to talk to! Explained very thing very well. Checked in on me frequently.
[Mayo Clinic is] A well- known hospital with great doctors and nurses! Trusted their advice and opinions. I did get frustrated after our third failed embryo transfer that they weren’t trying different options. I voiced my concerns and tried something new for the fourth round...Egg retrieval was about $13,000. Each transfer was about $5,000..
How was your experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
I truly enjoyed having her as my doctor. I trusted her and knew I was in good hands. She is very professional, but also personal. She kept me informed and explained everything after my egg retrieval in a way that I could understand. We had her again for a frozen embryo transfer and felt very confident in her doing our transfer!
Trust her opinion and her knowledge of expertise.
Egg retrieval was a quick process. 10 days and 4 shots a day. Multiple appointments. Frozen embryo transfer was a little over a month long process. Lupron shots then progesterone shots.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Mayo Clinic. (Assigned nurse: Mandy )
We LOVED Mandy! And every nurse we worked with! They are so caring and personable! They truly care about your story and the difficult road you have to endure. Mandy would always check in with us. I remember when one of our transfer didn’t work, she saw our results and said she cried. That shows the compassion they have for their patients. Couldn’t recommend the nurses enough!
Egg retrieval was about $13,000. Each transfer was about $5,000
Recommend 1 our first three rounds
Rochester

1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
[Dr. Chandra Shenoy] was very kind and compassionate. She listened to our concerns and explained everything very well. We never felt rushed. Any questions we had were answered in a timely and professional manner...Although we did not have desired results due to poor egg quality that we were previously unaware of, she was wonderful to work with...We truly felt that she was invested in our success and just as disappointed in the outcome.
[Mayo clinic] makes communication easy and keeps you very informed. Scheduling is efficient and everyone you encounter is very helpful...Lad results were reported very quickly and easily accessible through an online portal...Typically, retrieval is approximately $20,000 without any coverage. Due to my previous cancer diagnosis, we qualified for the Livestrong Fertility program which reduced out of pocket cost to $8500 for what was covered, with an additional approximate $1000 not covered.
How was your experience with Chandra Shenoy at Mayo Clinic?
She was very kind and compassionate. She listened to our concerns and explained everything very well. We never felt rushed. Any questions we had were answered in a timely and professional manner. We truly felt that she was invested in our success and just as disappointed in the outcome. We would absolutely work with her again.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions
She was very kind and thorough during our process. Although we did not have desired results due to poor egg quality that we were previously unaware of, she was wonderful to work with.
We used Menopur and Gonal. Did blood draws on day 3 and 5 with blood draws and ultrasounds on day 7-9. Used Cetrotide when instructed. Triggered with Novarel then underwent retrieval 72 hours later. 19 eggs were vaginally retrieved and the procedure went well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Mayo Clinic.
Everyone was wonderful, personable, and informative.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Mayo makes communication easy and keeps you very informed. Scheduling is efficient and everyone you encounter is very helpful. If we needed multiple appointments, they were scheduled in a way that was convenient to our time frame. Lad results were reported very quickly and easily accessible through an online portal.