Mayo Clinic

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolMed U. of S. Carolina
ResidencyNational Naval Med Ctr
FellowshipWalter Reed / NIH
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Charles Coddington to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Mayo Clinic to a friend?
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Coddington is kind and passionate. Very easy to approach and is positive. Overall our experience has been positive, I just wish we would find success. I appreciate that they didn't beat around the bushes and moved to IVF after no success with pills and shots.... We started with 6 months of letrozole with no luck I still was not ovulating. Then moved to a trigger shot for 3 months. No luck with that just a late period. After that we decided to move to IVF. My husbands sperm count is great and my PCOS was giving us some trouble.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Coddington is kind and passionate. Very easy to approach and is positive. Overall our experience has been positive, I just wish we would find success. I appreciate that they didn't beat around the bushes and moved to IVF after no success with pills and shots. I didn't feel like they were dragging their feet and we were not scared to jump to IVF either.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Be your own advocate. Know what you are willing and not willing to do. If IVF is not on the table be clear about that. It is expensive and you have to be ready for the expense.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr. Coddington is very passionate about what he does. He is caring and has a gentle heart.
Describe the protocols Charles Coddington used in your cycles at Mayo Clinic and their degree of success.
We started with 6 months of letrozole with no luck I still was not ovulating. Then moved to a trigger shot for 3 months. No luck with that just a late period. After that we decided to move to IVF. My husbands sperm count is great and my PCOS was giving us some trouble. We did two frozen embryo transfers. The first transfering 1 Grade A embryo with no success and the second FET was with 2 Grade A embryos with no success. We took a long break and am now discussing next steps. Last fall we moved forward with PGS testing and now have 8 strong embryos that tested chromosomally normal. Now we are deciding if we want to do another transfer or get a GC. We had no problems getting pregnant with our first and only 5 years ago.
Amazing nursing staff. They are passionate and kind-hearted. We had some communication issues every once in a while but nothing too scary or disheartening. The biggest challenge was medication and making sure I had what I needed and that was more of an issue with my pharmacy and insurance than with the nursing staff. The nursing staff was very helpful and educational.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
REI is not one of the areas Mayo Clinic puts a lot of time, money and resources into and I don't blame them. They can specialize and succeed in other areas that many hospitals cannot. So with that it would be nice for them to be a leader in REI but I understand they can't be a leader in everything. It's just challenging because there are not too many REI options available in this area. Their sonographer is amazing. She completely understands REI and is extremely personable. She is very knowledgable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic.
It was approximately $15,000 for stim and retrieval (including meds) and $5,000 for Frozen Embryo Transfers
Describe Charles Coddington's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic is very conservative when it comes to transferring only one maybe two embryos. I had to talk them into putting two embryos the second time we did a transfer. I completely understand their rationale and am appreciative that they are conservative with this.
Rochester
Dr. Coddington was very professional and experienced, but also took the time to encourage us to ask questions and gave very thorough and helpful answers. Our IVF orientation was when we had the most conversation time with him, and we didn't feel rushed so he could get to his next appointment like a lot of doctors do, which I appreciated. When I was taken to the OR for my egg retrieval (feeling very nervous) he and the whole team met me outside the door with smiles and genuine welcomes, and made me feel a lot more at ease about the procedure.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Dr Coddington is very professional and experienced. I felt well taken care of, and in good hands for our IVF procedure. He wears really great old-school tweed jackets to his client appointments, which I find adorable. Our IVF cycle is still in progress, but I've had a very good experience so far.
I was originally a bit hesitant because my first doctor (Dr. Daftary) left Mayo before my IVF cycle started, and I'd really liked him and connected with him. Dr Coddington's age made me a little nervous, but in the end, I felt it was a huge benefit, both in terms of his experience and longtime expertise.
I've seen many different nurses, but they've all been very compassionate, professional and warm. During one particular visit when I was having a hard time, the nurse took extra time with me to share a bit of her own story and talk about what had worked for her.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The front desk/appointment staff were relatively less warm and empathizing than the rest of the staff. I'd still highly recommend Mayo based on my experience with the doctors and nurses, but I have had several experiences where their front desk staff were unclear, short, or treated me more like a number than a person. On the other hand, I had complete confidence in the clinic overall because of the expertise of the medical staff, which far outweighed the other negatives.
We had initial testing and procedures done at our local clinic, which was around $2500 (not covered by insurance). Before starting IVF I needed a procedure that cost about $2000 (not covered) and an MRI to check a possible issue with my pituitary gland (spendy, but covered by insurance), plus a variety of blood tests that were probably around $400 total. Then the IVF itself was about $12k plus the cost of meds, which ended up being a bit over $3k (neither of these were covered by insurance, but I did qualify for the EMD Serono Compassionate Care program, which saved a considerable sum on meds)
The team at Mayo strongly encourages single transfer whenever possible, and thoroughly explained their reasons why for my case. I felt confident about the choice based on their recommendation.
Rochester
He [Dr. Coddington] is very knowledgeable and makes an effort to explain things in a way that the patient can understand. He comes across as very caring and treats patients as unique individuals versus as just anothee appointment on his busy calendar...Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Dr Coddington as regularly as i would have liked and ended up primarily seeing a physicians assistant. I saw 2 different doctors to discuss fertility options. Dr. Coddington did my polyp removal surgery and post surgery appointment.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
He is very knowledgeable and makes an effort to explain things in a way that the patient can understand. He comes across as very caring and treats patients as unique individuals versus as just anothee appointment on his busy calendar.
Ask all the questions you have, even if seems like a superficial question.
Dr. Coddington made sure all my questions were answered and expressed a very empathetic and personable demeanour with sincerity.
Some of the nurses were informative and patient in their responses, while others seemed rushed, did not give accurate responses to my questions or only partially answered my questions. My medical records did not accurately reflect the number of IUIs I had nor the results of IUI and when I pointed this out, she didn't appear to follow up to ensure it was corrected.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The first consultation I had was with a doctor who was leaving the clinic shortly after my initial appointment. I got very basic information and when I asked more questions she said I'd have plenty of opportunities to seek answers as I moved forward with treatments. I paid over $500 for that appointment, as my insurance does not cover fertility treatments or appointments. I did not have opportunities to get more in depth answers from a doctor and from there spoke mainly to the nurses. My advice would be to be sure to ask a lot of questions and explore all of your options for fertility with your doctor so you are most informed. Also, do your own research, as I found more information on the internet than what my initial consultation provided.
After 4 IUIs, my bill was about $5000
I have not yet moved forward with embryo transfer, however hope to do so at my next cycle. The PA informed me that they'll likely transfer one with the genetic testing and 2 if no genetic testing.
Rochester
We retrieved 32 follicles [with Dr. Charles Coddington]. I ended up with OHSS but everyone at the clinic checked up on me daily to make sure everything was going well. I was updated every step of the way. Everything went very well...I always left my appointments knowing exactly what was going on and my questions were always answered...He was kind and compassionate. He explained things very well and always made me feel better about the whole process. Never once did I feel uncomfortable or rushed.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
He was an amazing doctor. I would recommend him to anyone. He was kind and compassionate. He explained things very well and always made me feel better about the whole process. Never once did I feel uncomfortable or rushed.
The only advice I have is to definitely go with him as a doctor. He's great and really knows what he's doing.
Everyone in the office was always so nice. They treated you like a human being and took as much time as necessary for my care. I never felt rushed. I always left my appointments knowing exactly what was going on and my questions were always answered.
I don't remember the exact protocol but we started with Gonal-f and we started slow. There wasn't much progress at first but everyone stayed patient and continued to slowly increase my dose. We finally had a decent number of large follicles and we were ready for retrieval. We retrieved 32 follicles. I ended up with OHSS but everyone at the clinic checked up on me daily to make sure everything was going well. I was updated every step of the way. Everything went very well.
The nursing staff was amazing! They were all so kind and helpful. Very good at communicating the next steps and making sure I knew what was going on.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
The clinic is well organized and has very nice staff. I don't believe there really are many weaknesses. They are very good at communicating and making you feel like a person. Everyone was kind and it didn't matter who I talked to they were all able to help me with my care.
I had insurance so cost wasn't a huge issue for us. But the overall cost was comparable to other clinics doing IVF.
Rochester
Dr. Coddington is very patient and kind...Dr. Coddington does prefer single embryo transfers in the cases where appropriate so be did spend a lot of time going through the risks and stats when we decided to transfer 2 embryos on our 3rd try. ....Dr. Coddington takes the time to explain the treatments and reasons for the path they’ve chosen for you. He listens to your concerns and will share his opinion. He’s very knowledgeable about the risks of multiple embryo transfers but never tried to pressure me in to choosing a different option at that point in our journey.
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
Be willing to ask any questions you have. He’s very knowledgeable.
Dr. Coddington is very patient and kind. He really took the time to listen and answer my questions without making me feel silly.
Dr. Coddington does prefer single embryo transfers in the cases where appropriate so be did spend a lot of time going through the risks and stats when we decided to transfer 2 embryos on our 3rd try. We did a normal Ivf cycle with menopur and gonal f. We had a retrieval and a 5 day transfer with icsi.
The nurses are very kind but we did have some organizational issues with them. Nothing that caused any problems but did cause a little stress at times.
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
Organization was a slight problem when I was a patient. I did refer a friend there later and she had even bigger problems with them being disorganized. They were small problems such as orders not being sent but stressful when dealing with everything as a whole.
At the time a cycle with satellite monitoring was $8700. That did not include a consult or any testing prior to starting. Icsi and cryopreservation was a separate charge.
We did opt for a multiple transfer on our 3rd round but the first two were single. Dr. Coddington did suggest eSet for us but was open to a multiple for the 3rd cycle.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
He [Dr. Charles Coddington] knew what he was doing and seemed skilled and educated...He wanted the same goal for me...He spent time with me and my husband...He was empathetic with the loss of our little girl- stillborn...I had a good experience...With endometriosis he developed a plan for me- I was allergic to birth control pills and he developed a plan that did not include pills
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Charles Coddington at Mayo Clinic?
He showed compassionate He knew what he was doing and seemed skilled and educated He wanted the same goal for me He spent time with me and my husband He was empathetic with the loss of our little girl- stillborn
I had a good experience
Both
Some nurses were compassionate and others were not Serena was a good one Kari was very sweet Anna was not compassionate at all and cold towards us when asking questions
Describe your experience with Mayo Clinic.
They are well organized for most part Overall compassionate with a few nurses that are not Providers are good
$30k