Medical SchoolU. of Utah
617-421-1000
1250 Hancock Street
Quincy, MA 02169
617-774-0600
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Charles Obasiolu to a friend?

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Harvard Vanguard to a friend?
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Obasiolu is great at providing answers when asked but was not always forthcoming about information or statistics...In preparing for FETs, I was prescribed Estrace in increasing doses and progesterone in oil. For my second IVF egg retrieval, my dose of Gonal-f was increased...My doctor, in conjunction with my maternal fetal medicine specialist, advised against multiple embryo transfers due to my high risk pregnancy status. As we have used PGS/PGD, the best quality embryos were selected for transfer. First transfer failed, still waiting on the second one.
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I really like Dr. Obasiolu and feel that he is competent and informed about infertility diagnoses and treatments. I have a genetic condition that requires PGD/PGS testing of embryos and felt that he explained that process very well. He is very good about answering any questions asked. My biggest issue (and one that is perhaps not unique to Dr. Obasiolu) is that I feel he was not upfront or forthcoming about success rates with IVF. With my first egg retrieval, I had 11 eggs retrieved but only 6 were mature and only 1 made it to day 5. I was shocked and extremely disappointed that only 1 of the 11 retrieved fertilized and grew to a day 5. Luckily, that was normal with PGD/PGS testing but it did not result in a successful pregnancy. When discussing the transfer, I asked what the odds of success were with transferring a healthy and genetically normal embryo and was told about 40%. I know these aren't numbers that people want to hear and are not unique to me but I wish the doctor had been more candid about the chances of success because I felt really let down at every step in this process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Ask questions! Dr. Obasiolu is great at providing answers when asked but was not always forthcoming about information or statistics.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Obasiolu sees a lot of patients, particularly after Dr. Jill Attaman left the Harvard Vanguard practice and he absorbed many of her patients. I feel that he cares about me as a person and as a patient and frequently takes the time to review my chart and information before an appointment, which allows us to move forward instead of reviewing old information, which I appreciated.
Describe the protocols Charles Obasiolu used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
Because I suffer from migraines with aura, I was started on Estradiol patches before proceeding with my IVF cycles. Both times I started with Menopur and Gonal-F pens, then adding Cetrotide as an antagonist. In preparing for FETs, I was prescribed Estrace in increasing doses and progesterone in oil. For my second IVF egg retrieval, my dose of Gonal-f was increased and my nurse recommended adding CoQu10 to help with egg quality, which seemed to work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Christine French )
Christine French is far and away the best part about working with HVMA's fertility department. She is exceptionally kind, impressively knowledgeable and a fantastic resource for her patients. She always went out of her way to be helpful, to answer any questions and to provide a shoulder to cry on when needed. This journey has not been an easy or successful one for me and she has been my rock at the doctor's office. The other nurses, particularly Tracy, are very kind and helpful. Scheduling can be a challenge but nothing worse than other doctors' offices.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
My fertility clinic experience is a little bit different as the majority of my treatment was done through my primary care physician's medical group, Harvard Vanguard, but my IVF procedures (egg retrieval, FET) were done at Boston IVF. This set up provides its own unique challenges, with my insurance company dealing with multiple entities, including genetics lab Igenomix. If my insurance allowed, I would keep all of my care, monitoring and procedures in one place because it can be a bit overwhelming.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard.
I am incredibly lucky that Massachusetts mandates insurance coverage for fertility treatment when certain conditions are met. That being said, co-pays and out of pocket expenses add up very quickly. In addition, despite my genetic testing being pre-approved, I continue to fight with my insurance company for reimbursement for $13,000 in PGS/PGD testing expenses. Fertility medications under my insurance were about $1,000 for egg retrieval medications and $200 for FET medications. There were also co-pays for all diagnostic testing such as HSGs, hysteroscopies and sonohysterograms.
Describe Charles Obasiolu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
Quincy

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard.

2017 - 2019
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Don't expect him [Dr. Obasiolu] to be mushy or coddling. He is very factual but he is positive and honest with his patients...Based on my age he encouraged multiple embryo transfer and the fact that out of all embryos only 1 has made it to freeze...While Dr. Obasiolo may seem "stiff" I have found him to be personable and encouraging during this process. He even called me a few days after my last failed cycle to give me pep talk and make sure I was ok. At our last visit to prep for our next cycle he was willing to try to new treatments and really seemed to care about us as a couple.
2017 - 2019
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I feel that Dr. Obasiolu is knowledgeable and has switched our protocols based on our results after each treatment. He is kind and caring. I have run into Dr. Obasiolu at the clinic when I was not scheduled to see him and he remembers both mine and my husbands name and takes time to chat with us to check in and see how we are doing. I work in healthcare so I do know that this tends to be the exception and not always the norm with physicians.
Don't expect him to be mushy or coddling. He is very factual but he is positive and honest with his patients.
Cycle1 was estrogen priming and then gonal-f and menopure. Cycles 2-3 coenzyme q-10, gonal-f and menopure Cycle 4 coenzyme q-10, lurpon and gonal-f, assisted hatching and embryo glue For the above cycles a day 3 transfer (except cycle 1 due to freeze all with no viable embryos) with estrodial patches and crinone after transfer Cycle 5 (pending) coenzyme q-10, lupron, gonal-f, meonpure with baby aspirin after retrieval, assisted hatching, embryo glue, pio and estrodial patches.
They are extremely reliable, responsive and caring. I was never left guessing about my test results, insurance auth process, etc. Excellent nurses.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Convenient location and hours and their affiliation with Boston IVF and the utilization of their embryo lab and surgical site. The only weakness is that they will not consider experimental therapies such as human growth hormone for egg quality.
All covered by insurance. Have only had to pay copays for medications (average $300 per cycle) and $500 for embryo glue per cycle (to date only used for one cycle)

2013 - 2018
Dr. Obasiolu will let you know honestly how well a treatment plan may or may not work. We really appreciated his candor, but some people may find this difficult. When we had a change in our insurance plan and my husband's hormone therapy was slow to work, he discussed other ways we could start a family, such as donor sperm with IUI. I appreciated having other options to consider, but he was respectful of our final decision to continue my husband's hormone therapy. We are grateful that as a result we will have a biological child.
2013 - 2018
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Obasiolu was very upfront that we would need IVF with ICSI to have a chance at becoming pregnant. He took the time to explain the procedure as well as a timeline for the medications I would need to take during the cycle. Dr. O was supportive of us when we had setbacks. We also appreciated that he referred my husband to a urologist that specializes in Male factor infertility. Sometimes the communication between him and that office was slow and required a couple of follow up phone calls, but that's the only negative for me. Both Dr. O and my husband's urologist came up with a plan for my husband's MFI. Dr. O warned us that this treatment plan may not work for my husband, but over a year later, his sperm count became high enough that we could finally start our cycle in 2018. I received a very detailed protocol for the IVF/ICSI cycle that with the help of Boston IVF has resulted in my pregnancy.
Dr. Obasiolu was always concerned about me and my husband's well being as well as the diagnostic care for treating our infertility.
My husband was on Androgel prior to starting treatment. He was taken off that and started HCG. He was on that for 8 months when our insurance finally allowed him to add Menopur and Gonal F to increase his pituitary function. His urologist also recommended anastrozole to decrease estrogen production. He was on this combination of meds for about 18 months. Throughout this time, he had SA's done and his last one was high enough that we could schedule IVF/ICSI at Boston IVF. My husband didn't have to schedule a microtese surgery bc his hormone therapy was that successful. In July 2018, Dr. Obasioli gave me a very detailed protocol. I was put on estradiol to make sure my estrogen levels were low enough to start stims. I injected Menopur and Gonal F to stimulate the follicles. I also had to take cetrotide to prevent early ovulation. The dosages for Menopur and Gonal F were increased every couple of days until I was instructed to take my HCG trigger shot. After the egg retrieval at Boston IVF, I had to take progesterone cream to thicken the uterine lining in preparation for the embryo transfer. Our treatment plan resulted in 2 embryos. One was a 3 day IVF transfer and the other is being preserved. We are thrilled to expect our first child in April 2019.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Susan at Harvard Vanguard Quincy)
The nursing staff overall went above and beyond listening to my concerns. If they couldn't answer a question right away, they let me know when I could expect an answer.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The clinic itself has very advanced ultrasound machines. The waiting rooms and offices at Kenmore were on the small side, but clean. Getting to Kenmore can be a challenge due traffic via car or public transit, so add atleast 20 minutes to your commute time just to be safe.
The office visits I think were about $185 each and billed afterwards. Copays for ultrasounds were $35. The copays for the meds were pricey at $150 each.
Dr. Obasiolu recommended that we only transfer one embryo bc we are healthy and under the age of 35. He was concerned that a multiple transfer could result in twins or more.

2012 - 2013
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Neither my husband nor myself pretend to have a nuanced understanding of reproductive endocrinology, but we trust our current physician implicitly, and this physician has pointed out to us (in a kind and professional way) a number of medical errors that Dr. Obasiolu made in our treatment plans....Dr. Obasiolu barely remembered our names, let alone our medical histories. He rushed through every visit, rarely making eye contact with us, and his body language was similarly rude. He seemed disinterested in our answers, and he appeared to be spending very little energy/thoughtfulness on reviewing our medical information and/or putting together a treatment plan.
2012 - 2013
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Even worse than his suboptimal demeanor and professionalism, we now also retroactively question his medical fund of knowledge and treatment planning. Despite a year of "testing" and "treating" us (which included a failed IVF cycle), he never diagnosed either my husband or myself with any issues. Within a month of seeing our new physician, however, we learned that my husband had anti-sperm antibodies cross-linking his spermatids, entirely impeding their motility. Because we had such trouble communicating with Dr. Obasiolu (and there was such tremendous lack of transparency with every step of the process in his clinic), we don't know whether or not he did ICSI with our IVF. Without ICSI, there is no way that my husband's sperm could have successfully fertilized any of my eggs, and the entire cycle would have been a waste of money (not to mention a huge strain on our emotional reserve). After we switched to our current physician, we also learned that I was underproducing a specific hormone precursor, and I was started on a supplement for this. Who knows if this made a difference or not (although we did have a successful IVF cycle with our new doctor) - but we were so appreciative of the thoroughness and thoughtfulness that our new doctor applied to our case. He demonstrated a comprehensive and sophisticated fund of knowledge regarding the synthesis and metabolism of hormone precursors that we very much doubt Dr. Obasiolu had. Neither my husband nor myself pretend to have a nuanced understanding of reproductive endocrinology, but we trust our current physician implicitly, and this physician has pointed out to us (in a kind and professional way) a number of medical errors that Dr. Obasiolu made in our treatment plans.
I do not think that Dr. Obasiolu is a monster, so my intention is not to vilify him as a person. But the impression that we received from him was that he did not care about us (beyond our insurance payments to his practice) - essentially, he barely knew us, and his bedside manner was terrible. In the spirit of full disclosure - my husband and I are both physicians, and I specialize in pediatric palliative care - so bedside manner and communication is extremely important to me. Dr. Obasiolu barely remembered our names, let alone our medical histories. He rushed through every visit, rarely making eye contact with us, and his body language was similarly rude. He seemed disinterested in our answers, and he appeared to be spending very little energy/thoughtfulness on reviewing our medical information and/or putting together a treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
However, I think that the worst thing about our overall experience may actually have been our interactions with Dr. Obasiolu's clinic infrastructure and his ancillary staff. Everyone with whom we interfaced was (at best) rude and (at worst) actively obstructive to our care. We would call with questions about certain medications, and we would be blocked by nurses who did not know the answer but would refuse to contact a physician to obtain the answer. We dealt with nurses who forgot to call in time-sensitive medications, such that we had to spend hours on the phone ourselves, frantically pleading with pharmacies to rush us the requisite meds. This all occurred 3 years ago, and as I am typing this, I am actually becoming tearful and viscerally upset - it was such an awful experience, through and through, and I am still feeling emotional about it years later. We would not wish our experience in this clinic on our worst enemy. I was so overwhelmed and scared by the whole process that I did not appropriately self-advocate - and as a result, we wasted a whole year and suffered through a lot of emotional grief that likely was unnecessary. I don't mean to imply that our subsequent experiences with IVF were a picnic - they also were quite stressful - but having a physician that we loved and trusted through the journey made the experience so much better.
Mostly covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance, as mandated and the state of Massachusetts.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Obasiolu explained everything to me during our first visit. He helped me to understand what IVF was and the entire process. He walked me through every step and always said I could come and see him when I needed to. He made me feel very comfortable as his patient and I never left his office unsure of anything. ... He explained everything to me and I was able to receive the best care and treatment.
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Obasiolu explained everything to me during our first visit. He helped me to understand what IVF was and the entire process. He walked me through every step and always said I could come and see him when I needed to. He made me feel very comfortable as his patient and I never left his office unsure of anything. He made sure he answered all my questions and that the other nurses took care of all my needs.
I would just say to explain everything to him and make sure you ask questions.
Dr. Obasiolu and his staff were so helpful and caring to me during my entire process. He explained everything to me and I was able to receive the best care and treatment. Having him as my fertility specialist has changed my life in so many ways.
The treatment strategies were just to follow his instructions and follow the instructions when administering the medications he prescribed to me during my treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Nicole )
The nursing staff was helpful and kind through out my treatment.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
My clinic was very professional and understood all my needs as a patient. They worked with me on getting the proper treatment and care. They were always there to give me advice and support when I needed it the most.
My insurance covered most of my cost except for genetic testing.
We talked about my embryos and he made the best selections.

2010 - 2013
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
Dr Obasiolu was with me for three years of treatments. He cared deeply for me, and I always felt like a person with him. Over those three years, he performed multiple treatments, including a D&E for a miscarriage, a polyp removal and the other surgeries. I felt that he was truly behind me and he always respected my choices even if they differed from his r commendations...He is matter of fact, and his warmth may not shine through, but it is there! Ask questions, listen, trust.
2010 - 2013
PCOS, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr Obasiolu, in his matter of fact but warm way, cheered me on throughout the process. I always felt that he cared deeply for me and was committed to a positive outcome. also, his confidence that I would get pregnant was a helpful motivator. He was with me for three years and multiple procedures, and even three years later when I visited him with my daughter he remembered many details about my case.
I can't remember!
Love. These nurses were so supportive during three years of treatments. I was sad to move on from the team when I finally did get pregnant! Caring, compaaasionate, personable.
0. Amazing health insurance and infertility coverage
Though the recommendations were for 2 to be transferred, I was always listened to and never challenged when we elected to do a single embryo transfer.

Endometriosis, Other
I used to like him [Dr. Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard] in the beginning because he had an "aggressive" approach. However, he always wanted to do the same procedures over and over. Every new test I had done was because I insisted on it. After 3 failed transfers I requested an explorative surgery and he agreed. During the surgery they found endometriosis And an uterine septum. He never suspected endometriosis and was not going to check for it if I hadn't insisted. I was very disappointed. After the surgery I had another transfer that ended in miscarriage. They suspected it was ectopic at first but they didn't call me to let me know they were suspecting it was ectopic until 36 hours I did the blood test.
Endometriosis, Other
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I used to like him in the beginning because he had an "aggressive" approach. However, he always wanted to do the same procedures over and over. Every new test I had done was because I insisted on it. After 3 failed transfers I requested an explorative surgery and he agreed. During the surgery they found endometriosis And an uterine septum. He never suspected endometriosis and was not going to check for it if I hadn't insisted. I was very disappointed. After the surgery I had another transfer that ended in miscarriage. They suspected it was ectopic at first but they didn't call me to let me know they were suspecting it was ectopic until 36 hours I did the blood test.
Don't go there
The clinic is very small so the nurses get to know you well. However, the doctor is clueless. Every single time I met with him he asked me where I worked.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
It's small and easy to get appointments.

2012 - 2014
Endometriosis, Unexplained
I was first referred to Dr. Obasiolu to uncover my endometriosis. He was thorough and honest and kept my interests at heart. I say that because he understood our situation and I felt he could empathize well. I enjoyed his appointments and sometimes a quick joke here and there.... Can't recall as it's been a few years but it was antagonist using gonal f and menopur.
2012 - 2014
Endometriosis, Unexplained
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I was first referred to Dr. Obasiolu to uncover my endometriosis. He was thorough and honest and kept my interests at heart. I say that because he understood our situation and I felt he could empathize well. I enjoyed his appointments and sometimes a quick joke here and there. :)
Ask questions since the doctors can't read your mind. They don't know what your worried about.
Dr. Obasiolu was always polite and patient. We had a lot of questions and nerves when we first met him and he really went above and beyond to help us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
I utilized almost every HVMA location due to a busy commuting life. All the nurses and phlebotomist were great.
Covered by insurance
IVF, Egg Freezing
[Dr. Obasiolu] was willing to be aggressive with treatment (I need TONS of drugs to have anything happen), and he was sensitive to my goals (I wanted a big family). My favorite thing about him was his insistence (before he knew it was our desire too) to only transfer one embryo
IVF, Egg Freezing
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Boston IVF?
He was professional and aggressive, and I got a baby out of it all, so I'm sure that colors my opinion. But I liked that he was honest and straightforward (no sugar-coating).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Obasiolu at Boston IVF?
No specific advice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Obasiolu at Boston IVF?
He is DEFINITELY not warm and fuzzy, but he knew his stuff, was willing to be aggressive with treatment (I need TONS of drugs to have anything happen), and he was sensitive to my goals (I wanted a big family). My favorite thing about him was his insistence (before he knew it was our desire too) to only transfer one embryo (given my overall health and relatively young age - 27).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Boston IVF. (Assigned nurse: Chris (she's no longer there))
I LOVE Chris. She is by far my most favorite nurse/doctor I've ever interacted with. She was so caring and compassionate. She really cared about me. When I had a major setback the first time I took injectables (I didn't do it correctly and thus got no eggs - it was TOTALLY my fault), she was so sweet and comforting.
Boston IVF
Boston

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Charles Obasiolu at Boston IVF.