6.8

Quincy
1250 Hancock Street
Quincy, MA 02169
617-774-0600

[Dr. Obasiolu was] Honest and blunt when delivering us facts. Open to some supplements and acupuncture in addition to the IVF process. Compassionate after my miscarriage. Very knowledgeable of pcos. Covid-19 has complicated my experience.... Frozen embryo transfer protocol: Day 5 ultrasound, Letrezole days 5-10, ultrasound and bloodwork until trigger shot, baby aspirin and crinone 1x day until transfer and continued through pregnancy test. Due to cramping and blood test for progesterone in early pregnancy they increased crinone to 2x day. Ultrasound at 6 weeks showed that the embryo was smaller than it should be.
[Nurses at Harvard Vanguard were] Very compassionate in times of uncertainty or loss during my treatment.... Strengths: knowledgeable, compassionate Weaknesses: scheduling, having to go to multiple offices for ultrasound and bloodwork, experienced last minute changes due to schedule conflicts for the dr (not just time slot but alternate location)... During periods of loss or negative tests I felt like a human but during the process of scheduling and Apts I felt like a number
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Do your research and ask questions. He’ll provide answers but you need to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Describe the protocols Charles Obasiolu used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
Frozen embryo transfer protocol: Day 5 ultrasound, Letrezole days 5-10, ultrasound and bloodwork until trigger shot, baby aspirin and crinone 1x day until transfer and continued through pregnancy test. Due to cramping and blood test for progesterone in early pregnancy they increased crinone to 2x day. Ultrasound at 6 weeks showed that the embryo was smaller than it should be. At 8 weeks there was no further growth or heartbeat and it was deemed a miscarriage. D&C performed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Harvard Vanguard.
Very compassionate in times of uncertainty or loss during my treatment.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard.
Lucky to have insurance coverage for IVF.
Describe Charles Obasiolu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
Strongly advised single embryo transfer.
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
I used to like him [Dr. Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard] in the beginning because he had an "aggressive" approach. However, he always wanted to do the same procedures over and over. Every new test I had done was because I insisted on it. After 3 failed transfers I requested an explorative surgery and he agreed. During the surgery they found endometriosis And an uterine septum. He never suspected endometriosis and was not going to check for it if I hadn't insisted. I was very disappointed. After the surgery I had another transfer that ended in miscarriage. They suspected it was ectopic at first but they didn't call me to let me know they were suspecting it was ectopic until 36 hours I did the blood test.
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
I used to like him in the beginning because he had an "aggressive" approach. However, he always wanted to do the same procedures over and over. Every new test I had done was because I insisted on it. After 3 failed transfers I requested an explorative surgery and he agreed. During the surgery they found endometriosis And an uterine septum. He never suspected endometriosis and was not going to check for it if I hadn't insisted. I was very disappointed. After the surgery I had another transfer that ended in miscarriage. They suspected it was ectopic at first but they didn't call me to let me know they were suspecting it was ectopic until 36 hours I did the blood test.
Don't go there
The clinic is very small so the nurses get to know you well. However, the doctor is clueless. Every single time I met with him he asked me where I worked.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
It's small and easy to get appointments.
What specific things went wrong at Harvard Vanguard?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Harvard Vanguard.
They didn't call me to tell me they suspected I was having an ectopic pregnant. They called me 36 hours after I went to thsleep lab.

2012 - 2013, Unsuccessful
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Neither my husband nor myself pretend to have a nuanced understanding of reproductive endocrinology, but we trust our current physician implicitly, and this physician has pointed out to us (in a kind and professional way) a number of medical errors that Dr. Obasiolu made in our treatment plans....Dr. Obasiolu barely remembered our names, let alone our medical histories. He rushed through every visit, rarely making eye contact with us, and his body language was similarly rude. He seemed disinterested in our answers, and he appeared to be spending very little energy/thoughtfulness on reviewing our medical information and/or putting together a treatment plan.
We would call [the staff at Harvard Vanguard] with questions about certain medications, and we would be blocked by nurses who did not know the answer but would refuse to contact a physician to obtain the answer. We dealt with nurses who forgot to call in time-sensitive medications, such that we had to spend hours on the phone ourselves, frantically pleading with pharmacies to rush us the requisite meds. This all occurred 3 years ago, and as I am typing this, I am actually becoming tearful and viscerally upset - it was such an awful experience, through and through, and I am still feeling emotional about it years later. We would not wish our experience in this clin
How was your experience with Charles Obasiolu at Harvard Vanguard?
Even worse than his suboptimal demeanor and professionalism, we now also retroactively question his medical fund of knowledge and treatment planning. Despite a year of "testing" and "treating" us (which included a failed IVF cycle), he never diagnosed either my husband or myself with any issues. Within a month of seeing our new physician, however, we learned that my husband had anti-sperm antibodies cross-linking his spermatids, entirely impeding their motility. Because we had such trouble communicating with Dr. Obasiolu (and there was such tremendous lack of transparency with every step of the process in his clinic), we don't know whether or not he did ICSI with our IVF. Without ICSI, there is no way that my husband's sperm could have successfully fertilized any of my eggs, and the entire cycle would have been a waste of money (not to mention a huge strain on our emotional reserve). After we switched to our current physician, we also learned that I was underproducing a specific hormone precursor, and I was started on a supplement for this. Who knows if this made a difference or not (although we did have a successful IVF cycle with our new doctor) - but we were so appreciative of the thoroughness and thoughtfulness that our new doctor applied to our case. He demonstrated a comprehensive and sophisticated fund of knowledge regarding the synthesis and metabolism of hormone precursors that we very much doubt Dr. Obasiolu had. Neither my husband nor myself pretend to have a nuanced understanding of reproductive endocrinology, but we trust our current physician implicitly, and this physician has pointed out to us (in a kind and professional way) a number of medical errors that Dr. Obasiolu made in our treatment plans.
I do not think that Dr. Obasiolu is a monster, so my intention is not to vilify him as a person. But the impression that we received from him was that he did not care about us (beyond our insurance payments to his practice) - essentially, he barely knew us, and his bedside manner was terrible. In the spirit of full disclosure - my husband and I are both physicians, and I specialize in pediatric palliative care - so bedside manner and communication is extremely important to me. Dr. Obasiolu barely remembered our names, let alone our medical histories. He rushed through every visit, rarely making eye contact with us, and his body language was similarly rude. He seemed disinterested in our answers, and he appeared to be spending very little energy/thoughtfulness on reviewing our medical information and/or putting together a treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
However, I think that the worst thing about our overall experience may actually have been our interactions with Dr. Obasiolu's clinic infrastructure and his ancillary staff. Everyone with whom we interfaced was (at best) rude and (at worst) actively obstructive to our care. We would call with questions about certain medications, and we would be blocked by nurses who did not know the answer but would refuse to contact a physician to obtain the answer. We dealt with nurses who forgot to call in time-sensitive medications, such that we had to spend hours on the phone ourselves, frantically pleading with pharmacies to rush us the requisite meds. This all occurred 3 years ago, and as I am typing this, I am actually becoming tearful and viscerally upset - it was such an awful experience, through and through, and I am still feeling emotional about it years later. We would not wish our experience in this clinic on our worst enemy. I was so overwhelmed and scared by the whole process that I did not appropriately self-advocate - and as a result, we wasted a whole year and suffered through a lot of emotional grief that likely was unnecessary. I don't mean to imply that our subsequent experiences with IVF were a picnic - they also were quite stressful - but having a physician that we loved and trusted through the journey made the experience so much better.
Mostly covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance, as mandated and the state of Massachusetts.
What specific things went wrong at Harvard Vanguard?