Medical SchoolU. of North Dakota
ResidencyU. of Iowa
FellowshipFletcher Allen
2365 Deming Way
Middleton, WI 53562
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Christina Broadwell to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals to a friend?
Dr. Broadwell is caring and explains the process well. She balanced her assessment with an explanation of the science which was exactly what I needed. She is reassuring and put me at ease.... As far as I can tell, Dr. Broadwell work in a very close partnership with the NP on her team.... I have completed 1 round of IUI with 5mg of letrozole and an ovadrel shot. My second round is being adjusted to 7.5 mg of letrozole since I was given an extra dose after imaging and before my ovadrel injection. I require progesterone before each cycle to stimulate my period in addition to the cycle meds.
How was your experience with Christina Broadwell at Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals?
As far as I can tell, Dr. Broadwell work in a very close partnership with the NP on her team. It’s not totally clear to me whether I’m Dr. Broadwell’s patient or Vickie’s patient. As far as my other doctors are concerned, I’m Dr. Broadwell’s patient and even as far as Generations staff, it’s sometimes confusing. I think Vickie is great and I have always been able to be seen when needed so their practice style works for me. Dr. Broadwell has been very warm and caring through this process. It is incredibly stressful and she’s been able to put be at ease equally in the procedure room and consult room.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina Broadwell at Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals?
Whoever you schedule your assessment with will be the primary provider of your care. Dr. Broadwell takes longer to get into but that may be worth it to you to ensure she is undoubtedly managing your care as opposed to providing consults as needed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina Broadwell at Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals?
Describe the protocols Christina Broadwell used in your cycles at Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals and their degree of success.
I have completed 1 round of IUI with 5mg of letrozole and an ovadrel shot. My second round is being adjusted to 7.5 mg of letrozole since I was given an extra dose after imaging and before my ovadrel injection. I require progesterone before each cycle to stimulate my period in addition to the cycle meds. There was one ultrasound before insemination but I had the option for a second because my eggs weren’t totally ready. I declined the second ultrasound. Prior to the IUI cycle, Dr. Broadwell performed a hysterogram which resulted in a polypectomy. This was a strongly recommended course of treatment before beginning IUI which I completed.
The nursing staff appears to cross cover the practice so I’ve met or spoken to many of them. Christy, RN has been so helpful. Whenever I have a question about the next step in the process she is always available, helpful, and caring. All of the nurses have been kind and have acknowledged in some way that they are here to provide help and comfort during my care. I feel like they are assisting me as a human as much as they are assisting my care.
Describe your experience with Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals.
The clinic is modern and comfortable with ample parking. This is one of the most accessible and easy to navigate clinics I’ve ever visited as a patient. Front desk staff is friendly and the financial office is very knowledgeable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina Broadwell at Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals.
Several of my visits were billed as office visits and I was only responsible for my copay. The HSG was initially going to be full price but after finding polyps it was billed as diagnostic instead of screening which allowed my insurance to cover most of the cost. For the IUI with imaging, I paid $750. I also paid an additional $125 dollars for the medications.
PCOS, Other
We were able to see Dr. Broadwell at every appointment. She remembered our names and faces without looking in the chart. She also remembered specifics about both myself and my husband which made us feel less like a number... She is very knowledgeable, but talks to you in a way that you can understand what she is saying.... reach out to her if you have any questions. She always has a speedy response.... For my FET. We used Lupron (started with 10ml and reduced to 5ml)
PCOS, Other
Dr. Broadwell is very upbeat and energetic. She makes sure she is available at every appointment. She is very knowledgeable, but talks to you in a way that you can understand what she is saying. She is great at remembering faces and names and makes you feel extremely comfortable the first time you meet her.
Always follow her direction and reach out to her if you have any questions. She always has a speedy response.
We were able to see Dr. Broadwell at every appointment. She remembered our names and faces without looking in the chart. She also remembered specifics about both myself and my husband which made us feel less like a number than we did with our previous doctor.
For my FET. We used Lupron (started with 10ml and reduced to 5ml), estradiol patches (started with one and moved up to 4 at a time), and progesterone in oil (1cc). At this point, I have had a positive pregnancy test, just waiting to go in for the first ultrasound. My previous doctor/FET had me using estradiol pills instead of patches, I prefer the patches!
The nurses seem to be very knowledgeable and compassionate as well. Many of them exhibit the same great qualities as Dr. Broadwell. They are also very quick with responses if you reach out to them with a question.
Describe your experience with Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals.
The clinic is very easy to get to and is very clean. The online "my chart" website is extremely helpful. Only down side is there is no bathroom directly connected to the rooms where transfers and major ultrasounds are done. (Which is extremely helpful when they ask you to empty your bladder).
Initial Consult: $600 Uterine Mapping: $470 FET: $3,690 Medications: $700
Describe Christina Broadwell's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals.
With a unicornuate uterus (about half the size of a "normal" uterus) it was highly recommended and strongly encouraged that we only transfer one embryo at a time. We were allowed to make the decision for ourselves. After we were provided all the information necessary to make that decision, we agreed to transfer only one embryo.
What specific things went wrong at Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals?
Middleton
We received conflicting information about the significance of my husband's DNA fragmentation results; the urologist at the same clinic ordered the test and after it came back high, told us our only chance was to do IVF with ICSI. Dr. Broadwell was not concerned about the DNA frag results and told us IUI was still an option for us. I asked about this conflicting information several times, but did not receive a satisfactory reason for the inconsistent information.
She was the nicest doctor at Generations, but I didn't feel like I got personal attention from her, I always had to communicate with her via the nurses and often received conflicting information. We scheduled a one-on-one consult to discuss our failed IUI's and other possible testing we could have done but she didn't seem interested in getting us answers, only pushing us to do IVF. I felt like she ignored my husband's high DNA fragmentation test results, and didn't give us any recommendations as to how we could improve his sperm quality. We asked about alternatives to IVF, like low stimulation cycles (mini IVF), and only fertilizing 1 egg at a time but she said they don't do that. We ultimately decided to leave the clinic after I was put on a medication that ended up suppressing my ovulation and messing up my cycle, wasting us a lot of money, time and stress. I just didn't feel like I got a personalized treatment plan.
Make sure you read up on all your options, and also the risk factors of various treatments they might recommend; you won't get any information from her if you don't ask and probe.
I felt like they had a standard set of testing they do, regardless of history or situation. I felt like they were more focused on pushing me through the standard treatment (IUI then IVF) instead of trying to figure out why we weren't having success.
I had 5 cycles of letrozole prior to IUI. The first 3 cycles I was it cycle days 3-7, and had 1 mature follicle. Dr. Broadwell increased the length of of the medication to cycle day 2-8, and the next 2 cycles I had 2 mature follicles. She had me trigger with ovidrel each cycle as well. Unfortunately none of those IUI's worked. Dr. Broadwell wanted us to move on to an injectable IUI cycle, with the goal of producing more follicles, but we were very uncomfortable with the idea of having more than 2 follicles, and the risk of high order multiples. Dr. Broadwell seemed less concerned about this, calling it a calculated risk. Since our main diagnosis is MFI, we finally convinced her to try back to back IUI's (2 IUI's 1 day apart in the same cycle). Unfortunately, it did not work. The 6th and last cycle we tried, Dr. Broadwell added estrace to my protocol, but didn't explain why. I finally determined that it was to thicken my uterine lining, but I was never told that my lining was thin during the previous cycles. Unfortunately, the estrace suppressed my follicle growth, and after 2 ultrasounds my cycle was cancelled, and we were told to try timed intercourse. I wasn't told whether I should stop the estrace, I had to call and ask about that. Shortly after stopping I had several days of spotting, and now my cycle has been irregular. No one told me this could be a possible risk of going on estrace, so I was very upset, as I have normally had very regular cycles.
The nurses at Generation are awesome! I spent more time talking with them than Dr. Broadwell and they were all very compassionate. Unfortunately, they had to relay my questions back and forth with Dr. Broadwell, since I could never speak with her over the phone, and the nurses obviously couldn't answer questions regarding next steps in my treatment plan. Every nurse I met at Generations we very kind, compassionate, and great about following up with me.
Describe your experience with Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals.
It's a nice clinic overall, very clean, organized and designed to feel calming. I didn't like that there were often pregnant women or women with children in the waiting room with me; it felt like everyone was having success except us. The clinic was good about communicating cost and was familiar with my insurance (and what it didn't cover) but I discovered that they are a bit on the high side of IF pricing. I also felt like a number, and was just being pushed through the standard protocol. The clinic seems to focus mostly on IVF.
IUI (1 ultrasound + sperm processing and IUI) $750ish per cycle (not including meds... meds were about $160 for letrozole and ovidrel from costco)
Dr. Broadwell prefers single embryo transfer (though we never did IVF)
Middleton
Dr. Brodwell is very friendly, bubbly, person and easy to talk to. She is very personable and will listen and answer all your questions. I believe it is a lot easier to connect and communicate with a female regarding fertility issues.... In our case due to my genetic inversion during IVF cycle I was on pretty high dose of hormones to produce the biggest amount of eggs possible.... The Dr. doesn't believe in any help from additional medication like Q10 to help increase success rare and boost quality and quantity of eggs.
To ask for numbers not percentages regarding success rates of ivf cycles and embryo transfers. It will create a lot better picture of the possible outcome
The Dr. was always very friendly and personable to us and calling us by name. We were always greeted very warmly and welcoming by all the stuff members. The doctor was always very optimistic and smiling. I am overall satisfied with care expect the fact that with our genetic situation and me being a carrier of inversion on chromosome we were giving optimistic not realistic numbers regarding our chances of success. The Dr. doesn't believe in any help from additional medication like Q10 to help increase success rare and boost quality and quantity of eggs. The clinic is great and has a big potential but with our situation maybe it is just a lot harder to conceive with IVF.
The nursing staff most of the time was very professional and skilled for the job. The only the same person I was dealing with was IVF coordinator. The clinic has only two of them.
Describe your experience with Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals.
The clinic is located in Middleton WI which is a prat of bigger city called Madison. The clinic has easy access and is located in a quite, separated part of town. The clinic is fairly small and I wish the waiting room could be a little bigger. The meeting rooms with doctor could be bigger as well. The Ultrasound rooms are fully equipped and spacious.
The IVF Cycle was 13,500 plus cost of drugs which was between 4000-6000 and NGS genetic testing 2400.
Dr. Brodwell preferred eSet versus multiple but the final decision belonged to patient.
2013 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
While Dr Broadwell was great about explaining what was going to happen, I wasn't always sure about the why, especially as we got close to egg retrieval time as we watched my estrogen levels got higher and higher. Deciding when to trigger was the only part of my treatment that seems to be a mystery to me. Otherwise, I always felt like I knew what was happening, although fertility treatments in general aren't for the faint of hear, I think we must do our own research so we know what questions to ask.
2013 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Always ask why (about everything) . She will always happily and patently explain, but won't necessarily offer it up unless you inquire.
By the third IVF Cycle, I really felt like we were in this project together. She listened to what I had to say about how I thought my treatment was going, and she adjusted accordingly.
I don't know the names for the strategies, and this question makes me question how much I really knew about my own procedures.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
The staff was always caring and patient with my many questions.
Describe your experience with Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals.
The clinic feels like a really safe space. It is quiet and contemplative, almost spa like. I never felt like it was a business (even though it obviously is.)
$60,000! Whew! (But that also includes the separate costs of drugs and donor sperm) Without those extra costs: 5 IUIs approx. $639 each = 3195 3 IVF cycles $10,800- $12,800 each= $36,000
2012 - 2016
She [Dr. Christina Broadwell] was always willing to answer my questions fully. I had a lot of them as I was no stranger to the fertility family. I was wanting to try different approaches and she was willing to try them. The result ended up in 3 beautiful babies!...There were so many [protocols] ! I tried oral and hybrid cycles. The hybrid cycles were the ones that ended up with 2 babies under Christina Broadwells care.
2012 - 2016
She was always willing to answer my questions fully. I had a lot of them as I was no stranger to the fertility family. I was wanting to try different approaches and she was willing to try them. The result ended up in 3 beautiful babies!
They should definitely ask questions and educate themselves. You are your best advocate. The doctors are there to facilitate, but only you know your body.
I have been to a clinic where you always see the same nurse and same doctor. Generations you basically see whomever is scheduled that day (doctor and nurse).
There were so many! I tried oral and hybrid cycles. The hybrid cycles were the ones that ended up with 2 babies under Christina Broadwells care.
Some of them were very personable and others not so much. Some of the nurses were not interested in hearing that I ovulate early and said that isn't protocol. I had to have them get the doctor to talk to, to get my plan changed.
Describe your experience with Generations & University of Wisconsin Hospitals.
As stated previously, it is that you don't always see your doctor nor do you always see the same nurses. Also, you know your body best the nurses don't and they are not the doctors. Make sure your concerns are addressed with the doctor.
They are high.