Medical SchoolLoyola
FellowshipWashington U.
259 E. Erie St
Chicago, IL 60611
312-695-7269
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Christina E. Boots to a friend?

5.8

On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
2020
Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The location [Northwestern Medicine] is awesome yet private. You will be tended to in a very professional manner. They will tend to your situation if one arises such as rescheduling and being a little late due to traffic or anything else. They are passionate about what they do and it shows. ... [Nursing staff] Many strengths, for the start you can tell they are well in tune with their work. They embody what a team is and help each other out. They are welcoming to every patient that walks in and provide information and explain everything.
2020
Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Boots was welcoming from the first appointment and very comfortable, I didn't feel rushed in my decision like my two previous doctors, she was very compassionate and made my husband feel included also. My husband has mentioned that he feels very happy with her and feels like we can come out with a baby of our own at the end of our journey. Dr. Boots suggest numerous options and explained every single step and recommended us for grants and she also is great at following up. For a military family always getting stationed in different places, I highly recommend Dr. Boots so far throughout our journey. I'll even go as far as after we have our child and in a few year if we are stationed somewhere else, we will come back to her as she is the most efficient and professional doctor we had so far.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I would tell my friends or anybody looking to start a family with help that you will feel welcomed and don't worry about being rushed with your appointment like most doctors will. She will explain everything even draw out diagrams to help further explain various examples and/or situations. She looks at all angles and will assist you in coming up with a plan. As a military family, we appreciate her so much as our schedule is never routine. She will work around your schedule.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She took her time in explaining the process and tests that we would have to do. Dr. Boots was very compassionate and heard and answered every question we had. She didn't rush us and took her time.
Describe the protocols Christina E. Boots used in your cycles at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Dr. Boots first went through our situation, took time to understand our story, as we seen clinics in Guam and San Diego with no success, then she explained and present diagrams of all options, after getting an HSG test and a sonohysterogram, I was diagnosed with tube blockage and will have surgery to get my tube removed and with that Dr. Boots explained IVF will be one of the only options left. So she explained the procedure and set us up with a financial counselor to explain the process. Within, our first two visits we had a game plan with the route we were going to go without the financial plan yet. We are still waiting on the results.
Many strengths, for the start you can tell they are well in tune with their work. They embody what a team is and help each other out. They are welcoming to every patient that walks in and provide information and explain everything. All of the staff will greet you and care to you and they even remember specifics as in family members, for example, I just adopted my sister-in-law while in Guam before I transferred to my new duty station and the fact they remember and asked how she is doing is awesome and makes us feel welcomed. They always thank my husband for his service in the military and he appreciates that as well.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The location is awesome yet private. You will be tended to in a very professional manner. They will tend to your situation if one arises such as rescheduling and being a little late due to traffic or anything else. They are passionate about what they do and it shows. I am sure they deal with some difficult patients at one time or another yet you can tell their cohesiveness helps them function as one.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Since we are in the military, Tricare allows us to see her and get certain services completed but does not cover IVF or IUI so she recommended various grants and yet the visits, bloodwork, and other procedures were covered by insurance.
Describe Christina E. Boots's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Boots explained the cost and differences between the single and multiple embryo process. She went step by step and explained the different processes.
Chicago

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Christina E. Boots at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

[Dr. Christina Boots] Recommended single [embry transfer] due to my young age and no history of miscarriage. After 2 unsuccessful transfers we discussed transferring two embryos. She was very open to it but discussed potential risks with me..I had a really personal experience...I truly felt like she cared about me as an individual. She was so sweet and warm and always made me feel comfortable. At one appointment, she told me I was a patient she laid awake at night worrying about!...We always discussed the pros, cons and risks of each option and she wanted me to feel good about our decisions. I trust her completely and always felt like she was doing and recommending what she believed was best for me. We had a rough road, but are finally pregnant. We are incredibly grateful for Dr. Boots and her care. We wouldn’t be here without her!!! My experience wasn’t easy but she made it as positive as it could have been.
My primary nurses [at Northwestern Medicine] were wonderful. There were a handful of times they weren’t available and I had to communicate with other nurses who were okay but not as good as mine...Some days busier than others but that was to be expected. Most of the time it was quick...Beautiful clinic. Amazing location. Pretty efficient morning monitoring hours and convenient hours. Your doctor may not always be the one doing your procedures and it’s good to know that ahead of time. They will try, though!
Dr. Boots was so wonderful. She made me feel comfortable from the beginning. She answered all my questions, even when I came with long typed out lists. She was compassionate even when I was kist starting out and only doing the ovulation induction meds. I always felt like she cared about me, at each stage. She walked me through every step of the process every time I met with her and explained things until I felt comfortable. My body threw us a lot of curveballs and she had multiple ideas and solutions every time. We always discussed the pros, cons and risks of each option and she wanted me to feel good about our decisions. I trust her completely and always felt like she was doing and recommending what she believed was best for me. We had a rough road, but are finally pregnant. We are incredibly grateful for Dr. Boots and her care. We wouldn’t be here without her!!! My experience wasn’t easy but she made it as positive as it could have been.
Ask a lot of questions and come prepared to your appointments! Don’t be afraid to keep asking about something if you don’t understand it. Even if you read about something online or heard about it from a friend, she will help explain and never makes you feel silly for asking.
I had a really personal experience with Dr. Boots. I truly felt like she cared about me as an individual. She was so sweet and warm and always made me feel comfortable. At one appointment, she told me I was a patient she laid awake at night worrying about!
Letrozole & Clomid for timed intercourse/IUI. GonalF Menopur Ganirelix Omnitrope Estrogen Progesterone Lovenox for IVF. For frozen embryo transfers, we tried estrogen pills, then patches and then injections and on our last round we stimmed my ovaries with GonalF and Menopur to create my own estrogen and mimic a fresh cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Rachel & Alex)
My primary nurses were wonderful. There were a handful of times they weren’t available and I had to communicate with other nurses who were okay but not as good as mine.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Efficient machine, first come first serve. Some days busier than others but that was to be expected. Most of the time it was quick.
Insurance covered.
Recommended single due to my young age and no history of miscarriage. After 2 unsuccessful transfers we discussed transferring two embryos. She was very open to it but discussed potential risks with me. She supported my decision completely. We ended up going with two.
Chicago

Doctor [Boots] is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work ... She was open to discussing pros and cons about this [eSET approach]. ... 2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change)
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff [Northwestern Medicine] is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back. ...My nurse is fantastic. Very compassionate, organized and understanding. She did all the communication as direct correspondence with Doctor is not the norm here. She forwarded questions to appropriate departments
Doctor is very understanding of my particular situation. With a lot of money at stake for treatment a bit more clarity or face to face time would be appreciated. I felt heard but I would like a more detailed explanation of why, when things don’t work
Do your research and ask a lot of questions
The Doctor is very personable. I did a lot of research before the appointment. I felt like I had to ask a lot of questions myself, if not the information provided would have been just to the point of the treatment.
2 IUI with Clomid, Ovidrel - negative 1 IUI Letrozole, Ovidrel (I asked for Letrozole change) Negative 1 IVF converted to IUI because of response Antagonist- negative 1 IVF long lupron protocol negative but better result
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- works like clockwork. Patient portal is good. Staff is friendly. Experienced group of Doctors who consult with each other and work as a team Weakness- monitoring feels like a cattle call. Have to ask questions to get detailed answers. Doctor doesn’t call with negative results, unless you make the effort to talk or ask for appointment or call back.
It was busy during monitoring but organized. Check in and then First come first served basis. Mostly in and out in half an hour
Over $5000 so far, some coverage
She was open to discussing pros and cons about this.
Chicago

After my canceled cycle she [Dr. Christina Boots] made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far... I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures...I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer.
My first nurse [at Northwestern Medicine] didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion...It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling.
Dr. boots was great! I didn’t she her often but she responded to all message quickly and was always willing to setup a call to walk me thru everything. She was always positive and that helped getting thru all the appointments and procedures.
Get on a Facebook support group. I learned so much from those groups and they helped me understand more or have someone to talk to that was going they the same thing.
After my canceled cycle she made a point to call me. She offered a phone consultation for my second round because I lived so far. Her nurses always told me that she was sorry but wanted me in for another monitoring appointment. It made it easier that she understood the lengths that were needed to get thru this process
My first cycle, I was on BC then microcode Lupron protocol. My second cycle, I was on global-f and Menapur then added in ganerlix after a couple of days.
My first nurse didn’t really explain the results that well. I was a little shocked that they were canceling my cycle. My second nurse was amazing. She had great reports on the portal and always answered any of my questions with patience and compassion.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It’d be nice to see the doctor at some of your monitoring appointments. Strengths the portal and the scheduling. Although I wish there was a closer location. I traveled anywhere from 96-116 miles round trip.
I have insurance but my deductible was $350 and I spent 7,800 on meds for 2 cycles.
I believe she only will transfer 1 if it’s a 5 day transfer. I think it should be up to the patient if they want 2.
Chicago

She [Dr. Boots] was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed.Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well...She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget.
Everyone I dealt with [at Northwestern Medicine] was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate...I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
Even though we miraculously got pregnant naturally between failed IUIs and planned IVF, I give Dr. Boots a ton of credit. She was always extremely warm, seemed sympathetic that we even had to be there in the first place, and explained things in a way that didn't make it seem so scary. I always felt like she took time and care with us and never felt rushed. She's a dream doctor all around.
Just to go to her in the first place!
I have so many clear examples but to be specific, one visit, Dr. Boots was running behind due to an emergency and we were feeling frustrated. When she did finally come in, even though we hadn't seen her in awhile, she recalled our ages, treatments, test result numbers seemingly off the top of her head. She always spoke warmly and knew how frustrating and scary infertility can be and she always explained things super clearly, even drawing pictures! I cannot say enough good things about her treatment of me as Both a patient and human being.
Because my husband and I are both young (28, 30) and all of our test results came back normal (HSG, semen analysis, FSH, prolactin, thyroid, AMH levels etc) we were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Boots recommended that we try medicated IUIs first but also explained IVF as well. She acknowledged that for some people, budget is a definite consideration and that because IVF has a higher success rate, some people like to jump straight to that. I liked that she considered treatment from all angles - emotional, health, and budget. She recommended medicated (Clomid) because she felt like it would give us potential the highest chance of success and we also used a trigger shot which I liked so I didn't have to stress over when I ovulated. She did mention that her recommendation was 3 cycles and that the success rate over 3 cycles was about 30%. We did 3 back to back IUI cycles and unfortunately none were successful b. After that point we had a detailed meeting with her to discuss next steps and everybody was on board that IVF was next. I personally couldn't continue to do the same things over and over and was ready for something with a higher success rate. Dr Boots again walked through the IVF process. She did not recommend that we use birth control before which I liked. But otherwise we would have followed a pretty normal atoms for 7-10 days, trigger, and egg retrieval process. Thankfully we had a natural miracle positive test before we could even begin! That was after 20 months of actively trying to conceive
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember! )
Everyone I dealt with was amazing and my favorite part was how communicative and clear they were. If I emailed through the portal, I'd have a response in a couple of hours usually and even the nurses that weren't super chatty were always professional and compassionate
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I don't really have anything bad to say about Northwestern's fertility clinic! They are great about keeping appointments, running on time, early bloodwork spots for those who work, communicating clearly and efficiently. I always felt like they listened and never felt dumb for asking questions. I'd say the one thing I'd want someone else to know is that anytime you get an ultrasound on your follicles, the nurses are quiet and you can't see the screen. You then go back to to the waiting room and are called back by a RN to tell you your results. I thought it would've been a simultaneous thing but this wasn't ever a huge deal for me.
I don't remember exactly but I want to say that the overall costs for our IUIs were close to $2K with the actual procedure and ultrasounds creating the bulk of it. Bloodwork was $25 and Clomid was $5
Dr. Boots' and Northwestern have a one embryo transfer policy under the age of 35. She said the only time they'd put multiple embryos back would be if I was over 35 or if they decided to transfer Day 3 embryos that maybe weren't looking so great. At first this bugged me because the more the merrier right? But she explained to me the risks of multiples for me and the potential babies and seeing as she's a twin mom herself, she reassured me that was the right call.

2019 - 2020
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Compassionate, skilled, experienced. She [Dr. Boots] is realistic, thoughtful, and hopeful. Responsive when directly reach out and state want to speak with dr. Most communication is canned responses of next steps and with nurse [Northwestern Medicone]. ... 3 medicated IUI cycles using 100mg Clomid x 5 days, Ovidrel trigger shot, IUI and progesterone. 3 cycles using 7.5 mg Letrozole x 5 days, timed intercourse, progesterone.
Great hours [at Northwestern Medicine], reasonably accessible, in person reception staff is good. With high number patients, sometimes feel like a number. Hard to schedule appointments directly through scheduling, often need nurse or dr to intervene. ... Nurse in training experience x 3, unsettling for first IUI, lacked confidence and did not relay follow up information
2019 - 2020
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Compassionate, skilled, experienced. She is realistic, thoughtful, and hopeful. Responsive when directly reach out and state want to speak with dr. Most communication is canned responses of next steps and with nurse.
Ask for what you need. Ask clarifying questions for better understanding.
The system gets you in and out efficiently. This is great for working people but human connection is lacking as a result. There are occasional disconnects when information sent via messaging vs phone call or in person appointment. The conveniences we appreciate and are lucky to have access too also create disconnect in emotional support and person to person interaction.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Alex or Claire)
Professional, responsive, uses canned responses which is efficient but sometimes not edited or personable.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Great hours, reasonably accessible, in person reception staff is good. With high number patients, sometimes feel like a number. Hard to schedule appointments directly through scheduling, often need nurse or dr to intervene.
Had met deductible when started IUI so most costs covered. Monitoring ultrasounds cost about $300, labs $30-60. Unable to afford IVF not covered by insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.

2017 - 2019
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
She [Dr. Boots] did a wonderful job of explaining the process through drawings diagrams. She seemed sympathetic to the struggle we had been through and helped me clearly understand what my options were in a human way rather than using so much medical jargon that I may not have understood. She personally called when transfers didn’t work and helped me think through the next steps.
The clinic employees are always friendly and warm. The hours were helpful being that you could come in before work when it was convenient for you. The clinic separated non-pregnant patients from pregnant patients and I always appreciated that because seeing a pregnant person during my infertility struggles was difficult. ... Nurse Kelsey always called to deliver news, and even when it was bad, She was straight to the point, and she was compassionate. Kelsey always gave clear directions through my chart and quickly responded to questions.
2017 - 2019
Poor Egg Quality, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr Boots was a wonderful, caring doctor. From our first visit she made us feel comfortable and made us feel heard. She used diagrams to help explain the process and answered all the questions we had. Our journey felt slow at times and not everything worked successfully, but Dr Boots was available to answer questions, always called to talk through solutions, and helped me understand next steps.
She did a wonderful job of explaining the process through drawings diagrams. She seemed sympathetic to the struggle we had been through and helped me clearly understand what my options were in a human way rather than using so much medical jargon that I may not have understood. She personally called when transfers didn’t work and helped me think through the next steps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Dr Boots would only do a single embryo transfer for my age category given that I had previously become pregnant.
Chicago
I only met the dr [Dr. Christina Boots] once or twice witch is normal but I never felt like she was hands on with my care. She also did not call after to discuss my results I had to be proactive with the appointment. It’s hard to rate the dr when we had little contact and poor results...You have to be proactive in your own care. Do not expect hand holding...Agnostic protocol. Gonal F ansmenopure.
Strength [at Northwestern Medicine]- early appointments with ultrasound techs. Called back in groups so the process goes faster. Weakness- Quality of care. No individual care by nurses who you primarily interact with. Rude staff...one of the worst “customer service” experience. You do not have an assigned nurse so different nurse call you every day. No one you work with directly follows your care
I only met the dr once or twice witch is normal but I never felt like she was hands on with my care. She also did not call after to discuss my results I had to be proactive with the appointment. It’s hard to rate the dr when we had little contact and poor results.
You have to be proactive in your own care. Do not expect hand holding.
Northwestern has one of the worst “customer service” experience. You do not have an assigned nurse so different nurse call you every day. No one you work with directly follows your care
Agnostic protocol. Gonal F ansmenopure.
The worst part of Northwestern is the nurses. No continuity of care, a different nurse will call every day and she won’t know your background so it’s constantly starting over. Post op care nurse was so rude I couldn’t wait to leave post retrieval.
Describe your experience with Northwestern Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Strength- early appointments with ultrasound techs. Called back in groups so the process goes faster. Weakness- Quality of care. No individual care by nurses who you primarily interact with. Rude staff.
Cattle call. They won’t give you results until they call late in the day. Other clinics will tell you while you are on the table.
Insurance paid for most appointments.
We did not transfer the embryo. We froze it for future use.