Medical SchoolU. of Pennsylvania
617-421-1000
1250 Hancock Street
Quincy, MA 02169
617-774-0600
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Christine Skiadas to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Harvard Vanguard to a friend?
6 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
All of my interactions with Dr. Skiadas...have been positive...Dr. Skiadas is clearly knowledgeable, compassionate, and understanding. I have chosen to try to become a mother on my own (SMC) and have never felt anything but support from her. Her approach has been clear and honest, and progressive relative to what has happened...for the most part my interactions have not been directly with Dr. Skiadas but rather with the nurses.
6 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Skiadas is clearly knowledgeable, compassionate, and understanding. I have chosen to try to become a mother on my own (SMC) and have never felt anything but support from her. Her approach has been clear and honest, and progressive relative to what has happened. Again, while I have primarily interacted with the nurses and other members of the medical team, rather than Dr. Skiadas, that hasn't troubled me and so far the convenience offered by the large practice has been a plus.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Because of the nature of the practice, and the opportunities to interact with Dr. Skiadas directly tend to be more limited, I would recommend being prepared to ask all your questions in those consultations if it's important for you to get answers from your RE. The nurses have also been very available to answer questions, but some patients may feel strongly about communicating directly with their physician.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
All of my interactions with Dr. Skiadas, the nurses, and the medical team have been positive. However, Harvard Vanguard is a big operation and can, at times, feel like a machine. There are definite (for me) upsides to that in terms of ease of scheduling (for US, for IUI, etc.) and convenience of multiple locations. The size also means that you're one of many patients and so for the most part my interactions have not been directly with Dr. Skiadas but rather with the nurses. Personally, that hasn't bothered me. I feel like I have always been able to get questions answered and the team is responsive. And when I have had interactions with Dr. Skiadas she is warm, clear, and straightforward.
Describe the protocols Christine Skiadas used in your cycles at Harvard Vanguard and their degree of success.
Dr. Skiadas' plan and preference was to do three natural cycles of IUI. The first cycle I did was completely natural and I had a short luteal phase and early period (less than two weeks post-insemination). After that, Dr. Skiadas added a progesterone suppository to the next IUI to help maintain a pregnancy if indeed fertilization and insemination happened. IUI's 2 and 3 were natural, and 2 was with a trigger shot. The 4th was with Clomid and a trigger shot and progesterone, the 5th (due to a cyst being present) was unmedicated but with trigger and progesterone. And the 6th was with Clomid, a trigger shot, and progesterone. Cycles 1-5 did not produce a pregnancy. I am currently in Cycle 6.
Both Caitlin and Liz are warm and compassionate and great communicators. They have been readily available for consultation and follow up questions.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The Center for Fertility and Reproductive Medicine at Harvard Vanguard is a large practice, with offices in several locations. That contributes to a lot of positives with respect to convenience - generally being able to schedule diagnostics (ultrasounds, labs) and basic procedures (IUIs) at a time and location of your preference. It can, however, at times lead to it feeling a bit like a factory. While my experiences with the medical team have always been positive, I have dealt almost exclusively with the nurses and by phone rather than in person. They have always been warm, professional, and thorough. But if you want a more one on one experience or a lot of time with your physician this may not be the practice for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard.
To date (after 6 IUIs), I have had to pay a co-pay for IUIs and for the HSG test, as well as a copay for medication (Clomid, progesterone). Labs and ultrasound monitoring were covered by insurance.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
I can’t say enough good things about Dr. Skiadas. She was compassionate to my unfortunate struggle , but was also Very honest about expectations. She always had a plan and my trust in her never waivered...Not only did she work to surgically improve a problem that is quite rare and not well understood, she also was always there to answer question and provide guidance and emotional support along the way during our visits.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
If I had to do this process 1000 Times, I still would only choose Dr. Skiadas to coordinate my care. She performed several surgical procedures on me and I trusted her judgement and clinical skills above anyone else. Every time I had a procedure done at the hospital, all of the nurses would say “oh, you are so lucky to have Dr. Skiadas”. I could not agree more. Not only did she work to surgically improve a problem that is quite rare and not well understood, she also was always there to answer question and provide guidance and emotional support along the way during our visits. Once my issue was surgically improved, we did several rounds of Ivf. And— while it was certainly a long road— I have a beautiful baby to show for it. I could not be more grateful for dr. Skiadas. I feel like I owe her the world.
Wait for her no matter how long it takes. She is the only doctor I would ever see. Trust her process— it works!
I had multiple surgeries in the operating room prior to starting Ivf with dr. Skiadas. She performed all of my surgeries and the entire process was seamless. Once my uterus was improved, we did an IUI which was successful but ended in miscarriage. She was so compassionate during this time and helped me recover both physically and emotionally. We then did IVF and had an unsuccessful transfer x 2. The third one worked and I have a perfect little baby to show for it.
Fabulous! Always got a call back in a timely fashion. Nursing (and reception) was super well organized. If they didn’t know the answer, they would ask my doctor and always get back to me. This is a hard and emotional process— they were always fantastic without exception.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Fabulous— multiple locations are helpful!
Describe Christine Skiadas's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Harvard Vanguard.
She strongly recommended single transfer.
Quincy
Dr. Skiadas herself took time to answer questions, check in with me during a loss, and was considerate. I had lots of technical questions which she was patient with....Dr. Skiadas is compassionate, caring, and I felt she was truly interested in getting me pregnant. She was patient with questions. I enjoyed seeing her during visits. I wish I saw her more during treatment...She did not recommend ICSI or PGS due to my age and the severity of my husbands MFI
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Come armed with questions, information about who will communicate with you and how, and how you can reach her personally if there is a staff communications issue.
Dr. Skiadas herself took time to answer questions, check in with me during a loss, and was considerate. I had lots of technical questions which she was patient with. The only reason I didn’t rate her the absolute highest was the nurse staff which were often poor communicators
Textbook antagonist protocol with a traditional hcg trigger. There was a miscommunication along the way and the nurse increased my menopur along the way, yet my Doctor hadn’t recorded it. I’m convinced this is why I had so many eggs and a mild case of OHSS. She did not recommend ICSI or PGS due to my age and the severity of my husbands MFI. When we did a second cycle, I did antagonist again with a lower menopur dose, CoQ10 for my husband and I both, thyroid meds for me, ICSI due to low fertilization rate the first time around, and PGS due to a loss.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard.
The first nurse miscommunicated my menopur dose. That was just the start..... The second nurse didn’t communicate my trigger accurately. Also had issues with the blood work in the lab
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Dr Skiadas is great. The nurse manager is good. The nurse coordinators are painful and provide the wrong information which is very challenging in an IVF cycle where one misstep can cost you an entire cycle.
I used insurance so we only paid for PGS
She wanted to transfer more than one due to my age, but my insurance required an eSET for the first attempt. It just worked out that each time I did a cycle and transfer, I had one embryo remaining and insurance did not allow banking.
2014 - 2017
Dr. Skiadas is very skillful as a physician and a wonderful, warm person. She is incredibly knowledgeable, but won't hesitate to consult with colleagues if a situation arises that she hasn't treated before. She was appropriately aggressive and didn't try the same thing that failed too many times. She truly seemed to care...We had a few hiccups with nursing staff not totally being on top of the treatment plan (assuming we were following a standard course when Dr. Skiadas had recommended some uncommon changes). They were all very kind and supportive, just maybe didn't spend enough time reviewing charts before making calls.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
It is worth the wait for appointments to see her; don't settle for another doctor at the practice!
Dr. Skiadas is amazing. She really seems to care about all her patients (both me and my spouse), and always remembers (or is really good at writing notes and reviewing before the next appt) personal details about me and the conversations we had. She is respectful of our goals and desires, and always asks for our input.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Dr. Skiadas and her team are great; I have heard nightmares about her colleagues (one in particular). Stick with Dr. Skiadas and don't see one of her colleagues in the event she is unavailable for something.
Insurance copays.
She recommended a single embryo transfer based on my age and other factors, but was very patient as I asked her about a lot of statistics, the possibility of a selective reduction if we transferred multiples, etc. She never judged but gently advised what she thought was best.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Natural frozen cycle (the BEST IVF treatment I've ever done). She [Dr. Skiadas] also did a lupron protocol for the egg retrieval and used high does CoQ6 during stimulation that resulted in a lot of viable embryos...She was very straight with me about what was happening, what the odds were, etc and then actually let us make the decisions...She will only transfer one unless there's a reason to do more. In my case we did genetic testing on day 5 embryos, no reason to do more than 1
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
She was very compassionate and understanding. Was patient with my issues, I'm not great at this. Let me make informed decisions about everything, did not try to sell me any procedures, made us feel like it would be fine if we quit at any time.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, she'll give you an accurate answer.
Natural frozen cycle (the BEST IVF treatment I've ever done). She also did a lupron protocol for the egg retrieval and used high does CoQ6 during stimulation that resulted in a lot of viable embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Chris French)
Everyone I spoke to were very compasionate and answered my many, many questions
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Transfers and retrievals are done at Boston IVF, I didn't realize that at first, but it's fine. Otherwise I love that they're part of a larger health care network so you have multiple locations that you can use and transferring to an OB within that network is easy.
Covered by insurance
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I felt it [protocol with Dr. Skiadas] was very random and specifics weren't discussed too much. I felt so naive through the first cycle and wish I would have known more...is sweet and seems caring but her patient load is too high and she is never the doctor that attends the retrieval or the transfer, she just sets the protocol. I also felt she could have provided more information and assistance early on and after my insurance ran out I felt abandoned and hopeless.
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
Dr. Skiadas is sweet and seems caring but her patient load is too high and she is never the doctor that attends the retrieval or the transfer, she just sets the protocol. I also felt she could have provided more information and assistance early on and after my insurance ran out I felt abandoned and hopeless.
Just be aware she does not handle your retrieval and transfers. You also need to speak up and advocate for yourself if you have questions and concerns.
Patient load is too high. Had to learn a lot on my own. Felt like follow-up wasn't great.
I felt it was very random and specifics weren't discussed too much. I felt so naive through the first cycle and wish I would have known more.
Sometimes nurses were very caring but I had other incidents where I felt they treated me like a number and just weren't responsive to my feelings.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Convenient location, convenient appointment times. Attached to a clinic that provides other services. Parking was good. Overall the staff was professional but they seem to have too many patients to really care about your personal care.
Insurance covered 90% of my costs.
Boston
My experience with Dr. Skiadas, although we have not been successful yet in having a child, has been positive. I do not think that I could have made it this far without someone so intelligent thoughtful and caring...Dr. Skiadas is thoughtful and kind and takes her time with us, always. She is sympathetic when she needs to be and hopeful when she needs to be. She is great at explaining the facts in a way that we can understand and is always empathetic of what we as the patients are going through.
None.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Jackie, Liz and Sue)
I find HVMA to be extremely organized and well run. The nursing staff overall are wonderful, however, when you get reassigned, sometimes it is not seamless. You have to make sure you ask questions, clarify all timelines and treatments and double check med levels. Usually they are spot on, but make sure you are your own advocate.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Extremely organized, thoughtful and thorough. They have a patient system that you can log onto to get various test results, see upcoming appointments and most importantly ask questions of your providers. If it is an emergency, make sure to call. They are very responsive.
IUI and first round fully covered. Subsequent rounds I had to pay for the screenings and monitorings.
Boston
She [Dr Christine Skiadas] was a good communicator and direct. She explained the process and logic of each step well. At one point we had an early miscarriage, and she was sympathetic but not overly so....You don't see much of the dr, most everyday items are handled by the nurses and other staff...She tended to take the more conservative method in terms of treatment and dosing (which I generally agreed with given my history)
Investment Banker
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
She was a good communicator and direct. She explained the process and logic of each step well. At one point we had an early miscarriage, and she was sympathetic but not overly so.
Generally very good, but sometimes the wait times were very long (and frustrating)
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
The nurses were great. Waiting times were a bit inconsistent or long, which could be frustrating. They also just moved the practice to a brand new floor on an area by itself so you don't have to interact with the obgyn patients, and have brand new rooms / machines
2012
IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Unexplained
She [Dr. Skiadas] was wonderful as well as her whole staff at Harvard Vanguard....Dr. Skiadas also pushed our insurance paperwork and process faster so that we could move onto the next level of care within 24 hours. I don't remember any specific people at RSC but overall I had a good experience, everyone was professional and moved us along quickly which was nice.
2012
IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
My experience with Dr. Skiadas and her whole staff was wonderful. She and all of her nurses were calm, professional, and warm. I felt like they knew how emotional this whole process is and took that into consideration with their care. Dr. Skiadas also pushed our insurance paperwork and process faster so that we could move onto the next level of care within 24 hours. I don't remember any specific people at RSC but overall I had a good experience, everyone was professional and moved us along quickly which was nice.
She was wonderful as well as her whole staff at Harvard Vanguard
Describe your experience with your nurse at Harvard Vanguard. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
Kind and compassionate
2013 - 2018
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
She [Dr. Christine Skiadas] is very kind, takes her time to answer questions.... Very nice and thorough, I only wish she had more appointments available! It took awhile to get the first appointment and then scheduling could be difficult at times. She was very supportive and made sure to know all of my history.... I wanted a second opinion closer to home and the clinic was extremely unhelpful in getting my records transferred.
2013 - 2018
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Christine Skiadas at Harvard Vanguard?
She is very kind, takes her time to answer questions.
Sometime took awhile to get ahold of on the phone.
Describe your experience with Harvard Vanguard.
Definitely needs more appointments and more flexible scheduling, it would be very hard to get what I needed. The Quincy office is in an area of high traffic and I was once scolded by the receptionist for being late on a very snowy day.
I don't remember.