Good

1241 East Hilldale Blvd
Foster City, CA 94404

2020, Unsuccessful
How was your experience with Christo Zouves at Zouves Fertility Center?
The most important thing I wanted to flag and the reason I'm writing this review is that Dr Zouves recommended that we transfer 2 embryos. This is less and less common, and some clinics refuse to transfer more than 1 due to ethical reasons. I never imagined transferring 2 embryos, but as many of you know, many decisions are emotional and especially in a distraught state during fertility treatment. We agreed to transfer 2 and it resulted in a twin pregnancy. His recommendation actually goes against the ASRM recommendation for a <35 year old with genetically normal embryos. I'd like to think that Dr Zouves recommended transferring 2 embryos solely because he wanted us to be happy, but I can't help but wonder if this was about good statistics. In hindsight, transferring 2 embryos was somewhat short-sighted. There are many risks to mom and babies in twin pregnancies, which is why ASRM and many other doctors ethically do not recommend transferring 2 embryos in scenarios that are more likely to result in multiple gestation. While Dr. Zouves did talk to us about the pros/cons of transferring 2 embryos as it relates to success, he did not realistically discuss the risks down the line (e.g. much higher risk of premature birth = NICU time, physical toll on mom of carrying two, higher risk of preeclampsia and gestational diabetes). One thing that is unique about Dr Zouves is that he operates a solo practice. This means that he is the only doctor reviewing your records and the only doctor you will speak with. He is also quite responsive via email, usually responding the same day, and I do think his responses were thoughtful. I did have at least one poor in-person exchange with him. I asked him a question and he gave me a yes/no answer. When I asked if he could explain why he provided that answer, he got defensive and said, well you asked for my opinion. This was pretty upsetting. My first transfer that didn't work with Dr Zouves was painful. This was my 5th embryo transfer (my first 4 were elsewhere), and they were all painless. I would say that Dr Zouves attempts to provide a more holistic approach to care. For example, he is big on diet and immunology. He recommends a gluten and dairy free diet, no alcohol. He also tests for various underlying immunological issues, and then provides "treatment" for them in the office. My treatment was $700, and I was told it was basically a mixture of egg and soy. Say what?! On one hand, I do appreciate that he tries to go one step further than most other doctors. On the other hand, I don't really believe it, and I think it can cause more stress to patients. For my first transfer cycle, I strictly followed the gluten/dairy free + no alcohol diet, and I agreed to undergo the immunology treatment (which was an IV of an unknown white liquid) even though I didn't test positive for anything. That cycle resulted in a negative pregnancy test. The next transfer cycle, I went back to my normal diet. It was a normal balanced healthy diet consisting of gluten and dairy and a glass of wine with dinner. I also declined the immunology treatment despite his recommendation. This cycle worked, and I got a positive pregnancy test that stuck.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christo Zouves at Zouves Fertility Center?
Dr Zouves' recommendations are one man's opinion. Do your own research, and don't take his recommendation as the end all be all. While there are many positives about working with one doctor, please note that you are only getting one opinion. His recommendation may not be the best for you. For example, he is a strong believe of the gluten/dairy free diet, but the research he provides seems a bit outdated and questionable. I didn't get pregnant on a gluten/dairy free diet, but I did get pregnant when I ate a balanced diet. Another example is the immunology treatment. Didn't get pregnant when I did it, I did get pregnant when I declined it. My experience is just one anecdote!! (I didn't follow a dairy/gluten free diet at my previous clinic either, and it didn't seem related to my success). Anyway, my point is that his approach is just one way of doing things.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christo Zouves at Zouves Fertility Center?
Dr Zouves is a one-man practice, so unlike other practices, you know that you will always been seen by him and have your questions answered by him. This is different than some of the larger clinics where you may see multiple doctors throughout your treatment and rarely see your own doctor. It was easy to reach Dr Zouves via email. He was very responsive, which was much appreciated. Unlike larger clinics where you play phone tag with the nurses all day long. I was usually by myself or with one other person in the waiting room. Very different from the experience at a larger clinic, where there were 30+ people in the waiting room. I was treated by Dr Zouves during the early part of the Covid19 pandemic, so this may have influenced my experience.
Describe your experience with Zouves Fertility Center.
Zouves Fertility Clinic is run by one doctor. So you will see him and only him. This is generally a positive, but can also be a negative if you want some additional opinions. There are benefits to larger practices where more than 1 doctor might review your records. Another pro was there wasn't a huge waiting room with a lot of people. I'm not sure what it's like in non Covid times, but it was very nice to often be the only patient in the waiting room. That said, this wasn't my first clinic, and at my previous clinic, the waiting room was filled with women, and it was sometimes reassuring to see so many other women going through the same thing. Another pro is that everything is in one location. My previous clinic was in a large hospital, and the OR was in a separate place than the office. It was nice to have everything in one place.
Describe Christo Zouves's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Zouves Fertility Center.
The most important thing I wanted to flag and the reason I'm writing this review is that Dr Zouves recommended that we transfer 2 embryos. His recommendation actually went against the ASRM recommendation for a <35 year old with genetically normal embryos. Transferring more than 1 embryos is less and less common, and some clinics refuse to transfer more than 1 due to ethical reasons. I never imagined transferring 2 embryos, but as many of you know, many decisions are emotional and especially in a distraught state during fertility treatment. We agreed to transfer 2 and it resulted in a twin pregnancy. I'd like to think that Dr Zouves recommended transferring 2 embryos solely because he wanted us to be happy, but I can't help but wonder if this was about good statistics. In hindsight, transferring 2 embryos was somewhat short-sighted. There are many risks to mom and babies in twin pregnancies, which is why ASRM and many other doctors ethically do not recommend transferring 2 embryos in scenarios that are more likely to result in multiple gestation. While Dr. Zouves did talk to us about the pros/cons of transferring 2 embryos as it relates to success, he did not realistically discuss the risks down the line (e.g. much higher risk of premature birth = NICU time, physical toll on mom of carrying two, higher risk of preeclampsia and gestational diabetes).
Foster City

Dr Zouves is a wonderful, warm doctor who is very present for his patients. He sees you in person at every visit, and calls and emails with you in between. He proscribes to treating reproductive immunology issues (unlike many other doctors). He sends you a ton of information to dig through on mind-body connection and lifestyle changes you can do to improve your health and fertility.... he is very open to answer your questions and is extremely knowledgeable
It's a zen, calm environment with impressive state of the art equipment. Staff [Zouves Fertility Ctr] is respectful and gets back to you in a timely fashion. Best thing is being able to communicate directly with Dr Zouves and his caring, warm bedside manner. He takes the time to explain things to you and personally send articles for you to read. I also preferred to see him due to his beliefs and knowledge about Reproductive immunology.
How was your experience with Christo Zouves at Zouves Fertility Center?
Dr Zouves is a wonderful, warm doctor who is very present for his patients. He sees you in person at every visit, and calls and emails with you in between. He proscribes to treating reproductive immunology issues (unlike many other doctors). He sends you a ton of information to dig through on mind-body connection and lifestyle changes you can do to improve your health and fertility. Highly recommended!
Be vocal to ask any questions you might have - he is very open to answer your questions and is extremely knowledgeable. Go here if you think auto immune issues are contributing to your challenges.
Dr Zouves is warm and empathetic, knowledgeable and understanding. He will email and call you directly and always expresses his empathy for your emotions during this difficult journey.
Describe the protocols Christo Zouves used in your cycles at Zouves Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Unfortunately I don't remember the protocol we used. I know it included priming with BCP followed by the maximum menopur and follistim doses.
Describe your experience with Zouves Fertility Center.
It's a zen, calm environment with impressive state of the art equipment. Staff is respectful and gets back to you in a timely fashion. Best thing is being able to communicate directly with Dr Zouves and his caring, warm bedside manner. He takes the time to explain things to you and personally send articles for you to read. I also preferred to see him due to his beliefs and knowledge about Reproductive immunology. This is similar to the Alan Beer Resource Center in Los Gatos, Dr Braverman in NYC.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christo Zouves at Zouves Fertility Center.
Approximately $19,000 not including drugs.
He feels strongly about single embryo transfer.
2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Zouves] is very gentle to his patients and even though I hated transvaginal ultrasound, he did a far better job than my OBGYN...My egg retrieval procedure was good and I had a speedy recovery, thanks to his decision on my stims dosage, excellent techniques and discharge planning. Despite all the great outcome, I do concern about his work hours as he doesn't take time off (he works 7days/365). I am a strong believer than one does need time to rest and refresh, even s/he is a superman. At times, Dr.Zouves does seem to be stretched pretty thin, in which some patients might have to wait a bit longer to receive their reports.
Because of Zouves's care team (all RNs) and their professional care, I felt like they treated me a human more than a number. All nurses show compassion to me and my spouse, as this is our 1st IVF. They are always very patient and have never rushed our consultation / injection training, given we have never administered med before. They called our cell for most of the lab results which added a lot of 'human touch' to it... I do hope that they could take advantage of apps / texts so that it will free up more time for the RNs. As patients, I could have instant digital records without asking and waiting for scanned copies.
How was your experience with Christo Zouves at Zouves Fertility Center?
I chose Zouves out of all the bay area IVF clinics was because his years of experience in IVF and his success rate (if you look up CDC, he does have the highest score comparing to his peers). I was very impressed at my first visit (actual follicles count) by his prediction of the no. of eggs and possible embryos resulted from our 1st cycle, which pretty much matches to the actual outcome! He is very gentle to his patients and even though I hated transvaginal ultrasound, he did a far better job than my OBGYN (who happened to be a woman). My egg retrieval procedure was good and I had a speedy recovery, thanks to his decision on my stims dosage, excellent techniques and discharge planning. Despite all the great outcome, I do concern about his work hours as he doesn't take time off (he works 7days/365). I am a strong believer than one does need time to rest and refresh, even s/he is a superman. At times, Dr.Zouves does seem to be stretched pretty thin, in which some patients might have to wait a bit longer to receive their reports.
Ask tons of Qs at your 1st consultation with Zouves. It can be anything from his protocols, success rate, lab, reporting schedule, etc. The consultation last approx 30 mins, which is a perfect opportunity for you to examine whether you would agree with his overall approach for your cycle(s). I found that people are much more relax and adaptable if you and Zouves share the same IVF strategies.
Mine is the 'Antagonist Freeze Embryo'. They started me on birth control for about a month then had me to stim for about 9 days. First few days was on menopur 75 and follistim 225, then they lowered the dose to 150 (follistim) while menopur stays the same. Lupron was used for trigger. During the stim, I had 2 ultrasounds and 3 bloodwork done.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Zouves Fertility Center.
They are a world class nursing team. All of them are great to details and have never missed any of my emails / calls. They're the IVF clinic warriors!
Describe your experience with Zouves Fertility Center.
I know they are very into personal touch and therefore, they have the RNs to call you for lab results and scheduling. But I do hope that they could take advantage of apps / texts so that it will free up more time for the RNs. As patients, I could have instant digital records without asking and waiting for scanned copies.
He has been very upfront to us about eSET at our first meeting. But before meeting him, I already have done plenty of research on eSET and I agree with his approach. So there is no debate at all.
What specific things went wrong at Zouves Fertility Center?