Medical SchoolU. of Virginia
Winchester
1820 West Plaza Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
1-540-662-6092
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Christopher Williams to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia to a friend?
Dr. Williams always remembers who I am and what I am struggling with. Even if that means reading a paper before I come in, it makes a difference. He also meets us at our level. I am a nurse and he talks to me like a medical professional including current evidence based research on infertility. But he also breaks it down so my non-medical professional husband can understand.... We had diagnostic testing first. Then exploratory lap for endo. Found mild case of endo and adjusted the game plan.
How was your experience with Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Williams is incredibly knowledgeable about this field. He makes you feel at ease at such a difficult time in life. He doesn’t rush you out of the office if you have questions. I trust his judgement and truly believe that he wants us to make a successful pregnancy as much as we do.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Book him now.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Describe the protocols Christopher Williams used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
We had diagnostic testing first. Then exploratory lap for endo. Found mild case of endo and adjusted the game plan. Husband also has low morphology. He was seen by urologist and nothing was wrong. Can’t figure out what is causing the low Morph except possible environmental exposure during a deployment. We tried one round of clomid with my body responding fine but no baby. Then 5 more rounds of IUI with no luck. They would have stopped after 4 but I needed to prove six attempts before insurance would pay for ivf. Egg retrieval went well with no complications. However the transfer was disappointing. We did FET due to choosing PGS. My body didn’t respond to the hormones and my uterine lining didn’t grow. I didn’t feel I was fully educated that this was a possibility and came a large disappointment. We went ahead with a transfer with some education on reduction of success due to thin lining. We met with dr Williams again after the failed cycle. He was very kind and shared of disappointment. However he did not dwell on it and shared the plan for next cycle and sounded very hopeful for us, which we desperately needed at that time. We are trying long term Lupron to suppress my endo (even tho it’s a mild case) and attempting another transfer after the first of the year. Fingers crossed as our insurance coverage won’t cover much more after the next transfer.
As a fellow nurse, I can assure you that these ladies are top notch. The office is so busy and they keep things running and sane. They are very skilled at blood draws and are so compassionate. They have given me hugs and tissues more than once. I trust them all with so many aspects of my healthcare.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Strengths: always answer and return calls. Weakness: not everyone who answers is sympathetic to women facing infertility. In terms of finances and overall stress. The insurance coordinator is usually rude. We have two different insurances and the one never seems to get billed. It’s difficult to get clear answers on exactly what I’m paying for with each visit.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
As mentioned before, we could never get a straight answer on what we paying for specifically. We have spent almost 17 grand out of pocket including PGS and one transfer. We also have insurance that will cover 15 grand in infertility coverage one time. Tricare covers sporadic things and the office is never able to tell us what they are covering.
Describe Christopher Williams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Given our age, dr Williams has always encourage single transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Charlottesville
Dr. Williams is warm and friendly, listened to our concerns and came up with a plan we were comfortable. He told us there was no reason to jump into the most expensive and invasive option, but would have allowed it if we wanted to go that route right away. He really cares about his patients.... We are unexplained and 35 years old. Dr. Williams has had us do 3 cycles of TI with letrozole 5mg and 1 IUI with letrozole 5mg but we have not yet been successful. I responded well to the medication, but as with unexplained, we have no idea why it didn't work.
Hurry and make your appointment!
Dr. Williams and his staff are top notch. They are all very warm and caring, and I really believe that their goal is the same as mine...to take home a live baby at the end of all this! I haven't been successful yet, but am confident in Dr. Williams.
We are unexplained and 35 years old. Dr. Williams has had us do 3 cycles of TI with letrozole 5mg and 1 IUI with letrozole 5mg but we have not yet been successful. I responded well to the medication, but as with unexplained, we have no idea why it didn't work. We started out with the cheapest, least invasive option. Lots of other clinics want to put you right to IUI or IVF, but medications do work for a lot of people-Dr. Williams isnt out to just spend your money, like some bigger clinics are!
Very friendly and helpful, I call a lot and ask a ton of questions and the staff is always so prompt at returning calls.
This clinic is great. Clean, easy to find, ample parking. I drive several hours to get to this location when there are several other clinics in my area...that should tell you something about Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center! :)
Costs are substantially less than the well known fertility clinics in my area. Specifically about a fifth of the price for IUI and half the cost for IVF than another clinic I went to in the DC metro area, where I also went for a consultation and was not impressed with how I was treated at all.
No opinion on this at this time.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr Williams greets me in waiting room to come to room himself always smiles shakes hands. Very informative.... Very straight forward, have multiple options and reasons, bought in specialist for my husbands needs so he wouldn’t have to go to creepy hospital.... When Dr Williams couldn’t see me he highly recommended others from office. Didn’t beat around the bush and let us attempt other procedures that wouldn’t Benefit. Great friendly attitude. I looks forward to each visit
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Always greets at waiting room, hand shakes, lives my husbands sense of humor, brought babysitting children a few times and dr Williams shared a moment with them. Very straight forward, have multiple options and reasons, bought in specialist for my husbands needs so he wouldn’t have to go to creepy hospital. Always smiles and walks to the door. When Dr Williams couldn’t see me he highly recommended others from office. Didn’t beat around the bush and let us attempt other procedures that wouldn’t Benefit. Great friendly attitude. I looks forward to each visit
Go in with an open mind and listen fully as he explains
Reception always friendly and helpful in person and on the phone, nurses as well, greet me by name each time. Dr Williams greets me in waiting room to come to room himself always smiles shakes hands. Very informative.
Repeat HSG, explained that it wouldn’t be painful as before with other dr, same result blocked tube, prescribed 50 mg clomid for 5 days, 25 mg clomid for my husband with low sperm count. Attempted 1 IUI with HCG trigger. Ovulation, 1.9 million sperm Negative test. Dr Williams decided then with the low count of my husband that IVF would be worth a try
Nursing staff always present, reassurance during procedures. Prompt call back after leaving messages, very informative.
All strengths, one hour from home a big plus, easy to locate. Every staff member very friendly and helpful. All reproductive needs can be met in the same building, urologist for the male partner, lab, sensual collection rooms.
For the year at this point, $2800. That includes labs. Meds ultrasounds, IUI, and HSG. All dr visits
Haven’t gotten to that point yet
Charlottesville
He [Dr. Williams] spoke to me in a manner that I could easily understand. He did not speak over my head. He was also approachable and seemed willing to answer my questions. He came down and let us in the building which shocked me when the weekend system failed. I would have expected him to send the nurse. That really impressed me....We went with conservative measures since everything test wise is good
He spoke to me in a manner that I could easily understand. He did not speak over my head. He was also approachable and seemed willing to answer my questions. He came down and let us in the building which shocked me when the weekend system failed. I would have expected him to send the nurse. That really impressed me.
Do your research but trust in what he says, it's served me well.
The staff and doctors are all friendly. They take the time to make sure I understand what the plan is and why.
We did a few cycles of timed intercourse with clomid, no pregnancies. We tried IUI's with clomid, femara, and gonal F (not the same cycle) with no pregnancies as well. We took breaks in between cycles due to our jobs. We went with conservative measures since everything test wise is good. I have good reserves for someone my age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
The entire staff there is great. I interact with Stephanie a great deal since she is the IVF nurse coordinator. She's very friendly and quick to answer any questions I ask. The other nurses are also easy to talk to and treat me like a human. It is very important not to feel like a number. They can even joke a little with me which is important.
The clinic works with me to get my appointments scheduled so that I can minimize my time off. They have weekend hours as well for when ovulation occurs then. That's nice. It's also conveniently located so the trip, which is almost two hours, is rarely wasted on just a doctor visit. That makes the entire situation a tad less stressful. They are prompt and accurate in their billing as well, two critical things.
It varied based on what was done. Our insurance doesn't cover IVF/Infertility. The offices do work with me and bill what insurance covers and I out of pocket the rest.
We are still early in this process. From what I have gathered, he uses clinical evidence and the patients history to decide what is best.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Williams is a very kind doctor. He checks in after hours to see how things are going or to make sure you understand exactly what is going on....The first time I was with dr. Bateman. We did clomid days 5-9 and IUI. I ovulated but no pregnancy. Then we opted to do a laparoscopy because I had questionable fallopian tubes.... Dr. Williams is very compassionate and explains everything in a way that's easy to understand. He truly cares about his patients.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Williams worked very hard to try to get us pregnant. Unfortunately it did not work out for us. He did go above and beyond to try to make it happen. Dr. Williams is very compassionate and explains everything in a way that's easy to understand. He truly cares about his patients.
You won't get to see him every time which is unfortunate because he is the best.
The first time I was with dr. Bateman. We did clomid days 5-9 and IUI. I ovulated but no pregnancy. Then we opted to do a laparoscopy because I had questionable fallopian tubes. I had one tube removed due to ectopic pregnancy which was conceived naturally. The next time we did letrozole and monitoring. I only produced one egg and it was on the side with no tube so we canceled. The next time we did gonal f and letrozole and I produced no follicles. We did ivf with the lupron flare protocol. I had only one egg. It didn't fertilize right away so the did rescue ICSI, but the embryo stopped growing on day 5. We did not transfer. The next time we did 150 iu of gonal f for several days along with cetrotide and letrozole. I had 2 follicles but only one egg retrieved. It fertilized and we transferred on day 3. It did not stick. Now we are changing clinics and doing donor egg.
Stephanie is amazing. She is great. Ashley is also really sweet. The other nurses are great too, but these are the ones I met with most.
We had to meet with all 3 different doctors and that resulted in a lot of confusion for us. They all had different opinions on our outcome and different recommendations on what we should try. This led to a lot of unnecessary strain and stress. We did tell them our complaints and they attempted to straighten things out but it was still terrible to get such different opinions.
They initially told us the iui would be $300 but it was closer to $500. Apparently they don't tell you all the hidden costs involved. We spent $15,000 on a two ivf cycle package plus about $4500 in medications.
No comments...only one egg retrieved each time.
Charlottesville
Dr. Williams was kind, authentic, and strategic. He was creative in problem solving around any setback and was a relentless advocate for me as a patient. He would regularly contact me himself (rather than a nurse) when I had questions or concerns, and clearly demonstrated himself to be fully invested in our family...He is thoughtful and relentless...After 4 unsuccessful cycles with HCG triggers, we attempted IVF unsuccessfully. We then moved to injectables with IUI and we’re successful after several attempts.
Let him be creative. There are often many ways to treat a condition and/or navigate a challenge. He is thoughtful and relentless- just watch him do his thing, and trust as much as you can.
He regularly asked us about what was going on in our lives, remembered small details, etc. He once showed me that he has ever single photo sent to him of every baby he helped parents to conceive. I will never forget that.
After 6 months of clomid with my OB I was immediately switched to letrozol and told to do IUI do to the male factor infertility that was diagnosed at our first appointment. I also had a few other tests. After 4 unsuccessful cycles with HCG triggers, we attempted IVF unsuccessfully. We then moved to injectables with IUI and we’re successful after several attempts.
We were treated like family. They were gentle, compassionate, and kind. They read the room- we’re willing to joke and be chatty when it was right, and could also be just a calm presence when it wasn’t. They were invested and always advocates for us.
This place is a well oiled machine. Somehow they are able to be timely and efficient while still treating everyone thoughtfully and as an individual. Their communication is top-notch and they really work with your financial needs. Beautiful offices, kind people, effective treatments.
They are very up front about costs and will work within what is manageable for you. I had some insurance coverage, so I don’t remember my specific costs.
Dr. Williams regularly said “our goal is to get you ONE healthy baby.” He is cautious about multiples in terms of embryo transfers and even IUI cycles with multiple follicles, which I appreciated.
2008 - 2017
He [Dr. Williams] was very thoughtful and caring. He responds quickly by email and by phone. He took over an hour to speak to my husband and I by phone so that we would not have to return to the clinic for another appointment. He seems to genuinely care about us and wants what is best, but is open and honest about our chances...He made this process so much easier for us by being available whenever we had questions. He never seemed rushed to move on to another appointment and always made us feel like we had his undivided attention.
2008 - 2017
Be open and communicate all of your questions/fears, etc. He will be open and honest with you.
He was very thoughtful and caring. He responds quickly by email and by phone. He took over an hour to speak to my husband and I by phone so that we would not have to return to the clinic for another appointment. He seems to genuinely care about us and wants what is best, but is open and honest about our chances.
I am in the process of getting ready for an IVF treatment now, but we will be doing a frozen embryo transfer. In the past he helped with IUI treatments both with Clomid and injections.
So far our treatment plan has been done through email/phone communication and our nurse has been very quick to respond thoughtfully to all questions and try to accommodate our needs.
Everyone is extremely friendly, helpful and quick to answer questions. They are like family! You know you've made some friends when you call the receptionist and they know your backstory and your name without even asking it. I feel safe and comforted by this clinic.
Our current cycle will be $12,000 with ICSI included. However that does not include medications or my husband's TESE procedure or genetic testing.
We have not gotten to this part of treatment yet.
2009 - 2013
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
2009 - 2013
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
I had no negative experiences at all with Dr. Williams. He was knowledgeable, kind, caring and competent. He went above and beyond with helping me decide things. Most doctors would have given you the facts and then said it's up to you, but he talked the whole situation through with me on more than a medical level. He also joined me in our state's capitol to help fight negative IVF legislation, so I was thrilled to see him outside of the clinic. He was extremely compassionate towards our situation and when we miscarried.
Nothing, really. You are in good hands.
I loved Dr. Williams. I saw him for many years, so we developed a relationship along the way. My husband and I felt that he truly cared for us. He went above and beyond when I was desperate and wanted to try crazy things. We went above and beyond helping talk me through decisions. He even showed up at our state capitol building to speak out against personhood. It was great to have him there fighting with me outside of the clinic. I always felt that he treated me as an individual and was very sympathetic through our many losses.
He tailored it to me each time. I was always successful in producing many eggs, and subsequently many high quality embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie)
Overall, they did a good job, but there were a few snafus from time to time that don't seem like a big deal now, but were very upsetting to me at the time.
Charlottesville
He [Dr. Williams] was very warm and took the time to answer all of questions. He also explained treatments and next further steps. He came highly recommended from a friend and they also regarded him very highly. We had multiple visits and are still undergoing treatment.... After trying for over a year we went to Dr. Williams with unexplained infertility. We did 4 months of 5 mg letrozol. One was an IUI. Nothing has worked so far and are still going back for more treatment.
He was very warm and took the time to answer all of questions. He also explained treatments and next further steps. He came highly recommended from a friend and they also regarded him very highly. We had multiple visits and are still undergoing treatment.
Make an appointment - hes a good doctor.
He was nice.
They are nice and competent and were really patient with my wife who is a big ninny when it comes to getting her blood drawn.
They are open 363 days a year for cycling patients. Huge perk being open all the time. Located in Charlottesville - kind of far from us but we make it work to the best of our ability. We like it enough to drive two hours one way per visit so that should speak volumes.
IUI is $500. Much cheaper than the clinics in NoVA... we are probably 5X more expensive.
He didn't talk to us about it.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Dr Williams discovered a few discrepancies from my treatment with previous doctors and suggested medication to boost my progesterone levels, which I never had previously been notified I had low progesterone.... I’m very happy being a patient of Dr Williams. I believe he is extremely knowledgeable and can truly help my husband and I to conceive. He makes me feel comfortable and at ease about the treatment plan.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Just listen to what he advises you to do.
He is very knowledgeable and takes time to explain everything and ensures you understand prior to proceeding.
Everyone in the office is kind and helpful and very supportive. They answer all of my questions. They call you back if you call them.
I have no real complaints. I like this clinic a lot. The only complaint which is a minor one is you must specify that you want to be seen in the Winchester office otherwise they schedule you for the Charlottesville office.
My insurance is good about covering most testing but not treatment costs
Charlottesville
Dr. Williams always speaks plainly, gently and used his own experiences to show empathy. I feel like our best interest is what he wants as well....Kind, compassionate, good listener. I have no complaints. I had 3 very intrusive fibroids removed and Dr. Williams did the surgery. He was very clear with expectations for after surgery as well as possible complications....intent to call him in a couple months to update him and discuss medication use.
I feel I have done that with previous answers. Kind, compassionate, good listener. I have no complaints. I had 3 very intrusive fibroids removed and Dr. Williams did the surgery. He was very clear with expectations for after surgery as well as possible complications.
No advice. He's wonderful.
Had a lot of blood tests to rule out genetic issues,etc. After ultrasounds showing fibroids and the pain they presented it was decided to have them removed in the hopes of making conception faster and keeping a pregnancy. With the intent to call him in a couple months to update him and discuss medication use.
Everyone was very kind, courteous and professional.
I have no complaints. They are wonderful and respectful of feelings and personal information. I like that I see the same Dr. every time. I have anxiety with Dr.'s and being able to have the same one each time helps me cope a lot better.
Can't remember
Charlottesville
He is very kind a caring. He fully explains everything you need to know about the procedure and likelihood of conceiving. The only negative is it he is very popular and is often very busy and hard to schedule appointments with. Dr. Williams is one of the best doctors I've worked with and I greatly trust his opinion...I started with 50 mg of Clomid then hundred milligrams then 150 mg. Next we are the trigger shot. And up my Clomid to 200 mg.
Call ahead Early to schedule an appointment.
He is a kind, caring man. He always listens and is very supportive
Monica is the best nurse ever. She is kind caring and compassionate
Our clinic is good they work well at scheduling appointments and following up with patients. They work hard to make sure that their staff available to help at all times of the day and all days of the week
2013
None, Unexplained
2013
None, Unexplained
Sensitive, kind, soothing, humorous if the situation called for it.
Be honest with how you're feeling and don't hesitate for a moment to ask a question if you think it's important.
Dr. Williams and the entire team at RMSCVA knew me by name and face and treated me like I was the only patient that mattered. I was never rushed through appointments and never made to feel like my thoughts, opinions or ideas were stupid. When there were issues or questions regarding my treatment plan, Dr. Williams called me personally and spend 30 minutes on the phone discussing my options calmly and patiently. I cannot say enough positive things about my experience.
If I cried, they cried with me. If I laughed, they laughed with me. When it was time to be discharged to my regular OB they hugged me like they were saying goodbye to a family member.