Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut

Waldorf
3010 Crain Highway
Waldorf, MD 20601
301.705.9923
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Shady Grove Fertility to a friend?
European, Black or African-American
How was your experience with Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Tanrikut is highly trained, great at communicating, and personable. When we left our appointments we understood the next steps, both the risks and possible outcomes. There were never any surprises. Further, when we thought of questions between appointments, she was always quick to respond to an e-mail through patient gateway. My diagnosis was unobstructed azoospermia (zero sperm count). My only chance at having children was to undergo MicroTESE surgery performed by Dr. Tanrikut. My anxiety was high on the day of my surgery, but I distinctly remember Dr. Tanrikut in the operating room before they administered the anesthesia; her demeanor, professionalism, and compassion toward me gave me the reassurance that I was in the best hands possible. When I woke up, Dr. Tanrikut was there to tell me the good news that she had found enough sperm for 4 cycles of IVF/ICSI. Though the fog of the anesthesia was still heavy, I distinctly remember tears of joy; a moment I will never forget. Dr. Tanrikut then left me and delivered the news personally to my wife as well. While the success of the surgery was ultimately a matter of whether or not my body was producing sperm or not, Dr. Tanrikut’s expertise in diagnosing the problem, having the technical skills to perform the surgery, and ultimately finding the best possible outcome cannot be understated. Beyond her technical skills, her demeanor and compassionate approach to our care was just as important. She demonstrated a true understanding of the emotional struggles we faced, both for myself and more importantly my wife. A phone call after the surgery, and a personal response to the thank you note we sent after the birth of our child are just two more examples of the long term commitment Dr. Tanrikut showed us. I cannot think of any weaknesses displayed by Dr. Tanrikut during our time under her care. She is truly an exceptional doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital?
I'd say to trust her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital?
Dr. Tanrikut brought the right level of frankness balanced with compassion. She never rushed an appointment and always made certain we had a full understanding of what we had discussed.
Describe the protocols Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut used in your cycles at Massachusetts General Hospital and their degree of success.
MicroTESE surgery. This was the recommendation after four sperm analyses showed zero sperm.
The nursing staff at MGH is exceptional. Caring and highly skilled.
Describe your experience with Massachusetts General Hospital.
Our overall experience at the MGH Fertility Center was exceptional. The doctors are professional, caring, and highly skilled. The support team (nurses, embryologists, fellows, MAs, etc...) are excellent as well. The hardest part for us to trust them on was the IVF doctor rotation. At MGH, your primary doctor develops your treatment plan, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will perform/monitor your IVF cycle. The doctors at the center rotate as the “IVF doctor” (each week I believe). We were a little uncomfortable with this at first, however it worked out perfectly fine. We needed multiple IVF cycles before we had our baby, so we ended up meeting quite a few of the doctors in the center. Each of them demonstrated the highest level of commitment, care, and professionalism in their interactions with us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut at Massachusetts General Hospital.
I do not recall the exact costs. But I remember that they were in line with other providers.
Cigdem (Cori) Tanrikut