Medical SchoolYale
Modesto, CA 95350
1700 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
415-673-9199
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Collin Smikle to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Laurel Fertility Care to a friend?
2 IVF, Surrogacy
Dr. Smikle is a very caring doctor, we find him to be very compassionate and understanding. Our situation was very unique, and Dr. Smikle agreed to take on our case. Dr. Smikle made our dream come true, using a gestational surrogate we have achieved a pregnancy. Dr. Smikle was with us every step of the way, there was never another doctor involved in the care.... plans and treatments were altered as necessary.
2 IVF, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
I would advise a prospective patient to stay with Dr. Smikle, he's thorough, and willing to change treatment plans as necessary. Very important this doctor will LISTEN to all your concerns! He will try everything possible to help attain your goal of bringing a baby into your life.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
All the phone conversations we had with Dr. Smikle from the beginning gave us hope we can fulfill our dream. His voice was soft spoken and he made us feel very comfortable. Dr. Smikle was very knowledgeable in all aspects of fertility, answering all questions, and spent all the time with us we needed. We knew we were in the right clinic from the very beginning.
Describe the protocols Collin Smikle used in your cycles at Laurel Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I can't say specifically the protocols used, but I will say plans and treatments were altered as necessary. Dr. Smikle did not give up... we are expecting our miracle baby in Nov. 2018!!!!!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Francesca Perrone RN)
THE BEST!!! My questions were always promptly and accurately answered. communication between all was great. E-mails always answered by end of the day. everyone is most polite and helpful.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Give Laurel Fertility a chance to help you in your journey. We were very pleased with the staff. There was never any confusion relaying messages when I called the clinic for information. The entire staff was always helpful and courteous to us. We were out of state, and when we finally met everyone at the clinic, it was very comfortable and anxiety free feeling.
Describe Collin Smikle's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Laurel Fertility Care.
Yes we were fully informed when we needed to make a decision on the number of embryos to transfer, we all were in agreement to transfer one embryo. We did PGS on our embryos before any transfer was done.
San Francisco
Dr. Smikle is amazing. While he is clearly very intelligent, he also has a great bedside manner and explains things in a way that is easy for the layman to understand. When my treatment was done and I had to switch back to my regular OBGYN i was actually sad.... When the first round of IVF didn't work, I felt like everyone involved cared just as much as we did...and the thing I loved most was, after they comforted me, we all went straight back into planning mode. Dr. Smikle wanted to try something a little different, just so we didn't keep doing the same thing with the same result,
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Come with a list of questions. He will take the time to answer all of them.
I was referred to Dr. Smikle by my OBGYN after an ultrasound revealed that I had endometriosis that was potentially affecting my fertility. My husband and I had been trying to conceive naturally for about a year with no luck and, while not quite desperate, we were definitely looking for a different and hopefully more successful approach. I actually remember how comforted I felt the first time Dr. Smikle shook my hand...I just knew I was in the right place. At my initial consultation, after the exam, he worked with me to outline a plan on how to proceed. I wasn't quite ready to try IVF, so we started with Chlomid and IUI, but with the knowledge that I would likely have to try IVF if we wanted to have more than one child. After 3 unsuccessful attempts with IUI, we decided to switch to IVF, which is an intimate, intricate and sometimes very difficult process. The whole time, Dr. Smikle, Donna my nurse, and the rest of the staff were always available to answer any questions, fill my prescriptions with the lowest cost possible options, and even give me a shot or 2 when I was initially scared to do it myself. In short, I felt like they treated my like they would a good friend...not just a patient. When the first round of IVF didn't work, I felt like everyone involved cared just as much as we did...and the thing I loved most was, after they comforted me, we all went straight back into planning mode. Dr. Smikle wanted to try something a little different, just so we didn't keep doing the same thing with the same result, and, when my second round of worked, I felt like the whole office was cheering for us. They even asked to see the ultrasound pictures...which I'm sure they have seen a million tiny gray "kidney beans" on a piece of paper...but when it's your "gray kidney bean" it's pretty special. In short, my experience at Laurel Fertility was exceptional..The service was incredibly personalized and professional and Dr. Smikle and the entire office staff were always available (on the first ring of the phone) to answer any questions I had...I look froward to going back for baby number 2!
3 IUI - after 2 negative results he recommended we switch to IVF because he didn't think another IUI would be successful but I asked for one more since I already had enough medicine to move forward. 2 IVF... one with progesterone and estrogen injections and one without. After the first round didn't work, he suggested trying something different. We essentially "tricked" my body into thinking it got pregnant naturally. and it worked
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Donna)
Donna was amazing. She was always available to answer questions and help with the medicine. I couldn't imagine trying this process without her.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Strengths: Personalization. Communication. Staff. Doctors. You definitely never feel like you are just a number and you never feel rushed. They always make you feel special and listened to. Weaknesses: Having a doctor who travels between clinics can be hard, especially when you re scheduling a transfer or extraction. But I felt comfortable in everyone's hands and luckily Dr. Smikle was always able to be there for my procedures.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care.
IUI medicines IVF medicines Ultrasound Appointments
2 IUI, 4 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
When I began to have major side affects to the growth hormone he [Dr. Collin Smikle] didn't seem concerned. When I hyperstimulated he also wasn't too concerned even after I ended up in the emergency room. He was unapologetic when we miscarried. My biggest complaint is the lack of medical information protection we experienced at the clinic. At each appointment the ultrasound screen would show the last patient full name, date of birth and last image taken. They didn't sign out of the machine after each appointment. The front desk area had no privacy, everyone waiting for an appointment can here us verifying our names, date of birth, payment details, at some point I wrote down my social security number so that no one could here it. The positive was I got pregnant, the negative was the OHSS and miscarriage. The nurses were friendly but left the clinic shortly after our cycle ended. Overall it was an awkward cycle and experience.
2 IUI, 4 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Smikle had no bedside manner and didn't prepare for any appointment. Majority of the time we sat across his desk in silence as he reviewed and typed up our protocol. Very awkward. When I began to have major side affects to the growth hormone he didn't seem concerned. When I hyperstimulated he also wasn't too concerned even after I ended up in the emergency room. He was unapologetic when we miscarried. My biggest complaint is the lack of medical information protection we experienced at the clinic. At each appointment the ultrasound screen would show the last patient full name, date of birth and last image taken. They didn't sign out of the machine after each appointment. The front desk area had no privacy, everyone waiting for an appointment can here us verifying our names, date of birth, payment details, at some point I wrote down my social security number so that no one could here it. The positive was I got pregnant, the negative was the OHSS and miscarriage. The nurses were friendly but left the clinic shortly after our cycle ended. Overall it was an awkward cycle and experience.
Don't expect warm and fuzzy bed side manner. Keep records of all your payments. Demand medical data protection.
Felt like a human because of one nurse who was always happy to see us, responded to my inquires in a timely manner.
Estrogen primed Antagonist with growth hormone. I do terribly on birth control, Dr. Smikle agreed to work with my natural cycle which other clinics at the time wouldn't. Due to previous miscarriage he had had me on baby aspirin and a steroid as an anti-inflammatory. The growth hormone wasn't explained. The overall result was Pregnancy with hyperstimulation followed by a miscarriage. I was on medical leave for 3 months and it took 1 year to gain my health back. For a year we couldn't do IVF treatment which was super upsetting.
If they were unsure they'd quickly get an answer. They always greeted us with a smile, cared about our cycle and showed compassion with my OHSS symptoms and miscarriage.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Parking is costly in the clinics building. The front desk/lobby has no audio privacy, your conversations with the front desk staff is heard by everyone in the lobby. The ultrasound machine has been one of the best (clear imaging) from all clinics. The egg retrieval room doesn't feel like an operation room which is a positive but also concerned me if it was sterile. We did not see the embryology lab therefore cannot comment. The clinic is small, clean and in a nice SF building. The bathroom was equipped with feminine hygiene products (tampons, pads, wipes). I found this really nice after appointments for clean up.
San Francisco
He has a cold and clinical bedside manner. Very much an "I'm the Doctor and you're the patient, so just do what I say because I'm the expert." Needed to ask a lot of questions to get he information I wanted....I was given a treatment plan that seems very "standard"...not tailored specifically to me or my partner's unique situation.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
This is an emotional journey, if you're looking for reassurance, awarm caring doctor who seems personally invested in you and your spouse and your journey...he is NOT it.
I did a standard IVF cycle. Lupron, gonal F, etc. halfway through the stimulation phase they measured and saw I had 33 follicles growing. Though I was then at risk of developing OHsS, the protocol was not changed. I went on to harvest 44 eggs - and had extreme OHSS which cause us to freeze-all for that cycle. It took 6 weeks to recover and do a frozen transfer. I think, with more careful monitoring and and adjustment in my mess (reducing the amount) I could have avoided a lot of the suffering the OHSS caused.
I felt like some nurses were good (Meredith was great!) and some were not. Donna seemed inexperienced and often kind of casual about everything. it was all kind of hit or miss. Some were great at drawing blood, others were horrible. Some were kind and warm, others were not. I never really developed a relationship with any of them, which is kind of incredible given the emotional experience that IVF is.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
This clinic seems disorganized and impersonal.
We were covered by insurance. We had a $30 copay each visit
San Francisco
Dr. Smikle is very clinical and direct. He tends to be a bit late to appointments. You will have to ask a lot of questions to get the information or feedback you need. His communication is a bit lacking but once asked he will give you a full answer.... Answered my questions, knew my history. Would have liked more explanations on protocols.... Make sure to ask questions - he does not elaborate a ton. Frequently late.... Menopur, Gonal F, Metformin for egg retrieval.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Make sure to ask questions - he does not elaborate a ton. Frequently late.
Menopur, Gonal F, Metformin for egg retrieval.
Personalized approach, sometimes confused on information.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Billing is disorganized - you will need to keep on them. The nursing team is great but overwhelmed with patients, especially since Dr. Ekpo is on maternity leave. It is a small clinic so you'll have a personalized experience.
$18,000 for IVF/PGS/ICSI/FET
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
He [Dr. Smikle] was very kind, heard my concerns and was open and honest.... hes not a man of many words but hes smart, and honest and competent at what he does.i always felt like i was in good hands and that he wanted me to have good results. He very good at responding to calls and emails also and he was good at explaining things i could understand it was a good experience.... he only wanted to transfer one emryo due to my history if premature births he felt twins would increase it.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
hes not a man of many words but hes smart, and honest and competent at what he does.i always felt like i was in good hands and that he wanted me to have good results. He very good at responding to calls and emails also and he was good at explaining things i could understand it was a good experience. hes a bit expensive though
have a financial plan
He was very kind, heard my concerns and was open and honest.
he only wanted to transfer one emryo due to my history if premature births he felt twins would increase it. i wish he had done two though
they were outgoing, friendly and communicated well.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
you will have times that you will have to go to modesto and sf. so please be prepared for travel. their strengths were communicatio and friendliness. they were easy to deal with, very flexible and accomadating to your scheduling needs. they had a ton of information and knew where to direct you if u needed help woth medicines. and other than that it was great
everything cost
he didnt want to do multiples
2012
IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
He was the only point of contact, no shuffling to the Dr. on call. He coordinated with my other doctors since I have other health issues, and he treated me like a WHOLE person. So different than the other places I tried.
2012
IVF, Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
It is a smaller, personal office. It does not have the reputation of some of the big SF places, but he was great. Since we were on our 3rd round, and since IVF is pricey and I was a tricky patient, he actually told us upon miscarriage that CCRM would be our best bet. He did not try to oversell us, and he guided us to go there.
Get to know him and understand how the office works- it's closed one week a month and as an impatient ivf client, timing can be everything.
He was the only point of contact, no shuffling to the dr on call. He coordinated with my other doctors since I have other health issues, and he treated me like a WHOLE person. So different than the other places I tried.
Sadly I dont' remember, but I can tell you that I do remember the negative things at other places so I think all was smooth.
San Francisco
Dr. Smikle very much cares about each and every one of his patients. He takes time to meet with his patients and gives out his email so that if there are any concerns that his staff cannot help with, then he will help you to resolve the issue.... He always took time to answer any and all questions I had at all my appointments. Went above and beyond to make me feel like there was still hope and to not give up.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
The office staff did change some during the time I was under care there, so sometimes it would get frustrating to deal with people who didn’t know anything about you or your case. The nurses, medical assistants and embryologists were all very knowledgeable and always caring.
2013 - 2015
Dr Smikle [at Laurel Fertility Care] was competent but not a great communicator. The most frustrating/troubling part of my experience was he heavily relied on his staff for education and scheduling and his staff was completely incompetent, unprofessional and bad communicators. they made many mistakes with me and with 2 people I referred.
2013 - 2015
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr Smikle was competent but not a great communicator. The most frustrating/troubling part of my experience was he heavily relied on his staff for education and scheduling and his staff was completely incompetent, unprofessional and bad communicators. they made many mistakes with me and with 2 people I referred.
Interview him first about the changes he has made to his staff. Ask what measures are in place to ensure mistakes are not made and to give timely feedback about staff and the experience in general.
Dr Smille is not warm but very direct
San Francisco
I felt like I was in good hands. He [Dr Smikle] was upfront and explained everything to us regd treatment. When we had questions he was willing go explain in great detail so we felt comfortable. He was open to communicate over email and phone. I had his cell and knew I could call whenever I needed him!
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
I felt like I was in good hands. He was upfront and explained everything to us regd treatment. When we had questions he was willing go explain in great detail so we felt comfortable. He was open to communicate over email and phone. I had his cell and knew I could call whenever I needed him!
Go with open mind, do your research and ask questions.
Dr Smikle was great! He talked about all the details, why he though we should do ivf. Also took into consideration my health problems. He was kind and considerate in his manner without being condescending - I really loved that.
It is a great clinic.
I don't remember as my insurance covered all costs
San Francisco
[Dr. Smikle was] funny, articulate, straight forward, knowledgable... It is a small office so you get very personalized attention. The staff is wonderful.
Funny,articulate, straight forward, knowledgable,
IUI 1 Femara 5mg for 5 days + Ovidrel + Prometrium IUI 2 Femara 7.5mg for 5 days + Ovidrel +Prometrium IUI 3 5mg 7 days + Bravelle 75 units 7 days +Ganirelix +Ovidrel +Prometrium =bfp
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Francesca )
She was very competent and responsive to questions and requests. I never felt rushed and she went out of her way to answer my questions.
I have insurance coverage so I paid $200 per IUI Inc all ultrasounds and bloodwork.
San Francisco
Funny, articulate, straight forward, knowledgable. Dr Smikle is hands on and very present. If he is there he makes time to do your ultrasounds and IUIs himself rather than having a nurse do it....Everyone in the office [at Laurel Fertility Care] is friendly and knows your name...They can be a bit disorganized. It is a small office so you get very personalized attention.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Funny,articulate, straight forward, knowledgable. Dr Smikle is hands on and very present. If he is there he makes time to do your ultrasounds and IUIs himself rather than having a nurse do it.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Everyone in the office is friendly and knows your name...They can be a bit disorganized.