Good

Modesto, CA 95350
1700 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94109

2014, Successful
He has a cold and clinical bedside manner. Very much an "I'm the Doctor and you're the patient, so just do what I say because I'm the expert." Needed to ask a lot of questions to get he information I wanted....I was given a treatment plan that seems very "standard"...not tailored specifically to me or my partner's unique situation.
I felt like some nurses [at Laurel Fertility] were good (Meredith was great!) and some were not. Donna seemed inexperienced and often kind of casual about everything...This clinic seems disorganized and impersonal...Often had mix-ups with scheduling. no one had any good concrete information on BASIC questions like: how & when to order meds, how and where to transfer our frozen embryos for long-term storage, no one wakes us through all the legal paperwork, no one ever gave us injection classes, etc. things they must deal with ALL the time!
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
This is an emotional journey, if you're looking for reassurance, awarm caring doctor who seems personally invested in you and your spouse and your journey...he is NOT it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Describe the protocols Collin Smikle used in your cycles at Laurel Fertility Care and their degree of success.
I did a standard IVF cycle. Lupron, gonal F, etc. halfway through the stimulation phase they measured and saw I had 33 follicles growing. Though I was then at risk of developing OHsS, the protocol was not changed. I went on to harvest 44 eggs - and had extreme OHSS which cause us to freeze-all for that cycle. It took 6 weeks to recover and do a frozen transfer. I think, with more careful monitoring and and adjustment in my mess (reducing the amount) I could have avoided a lot of the suffering the OHSS caused.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Donna)
I felt like some nurses were good (Meredith was great!) and some were not. Donna seemed inexperienced and often kind of casual about everything. it was all kind of hit or miss. Some were great at drawing blood, others were horrible. Some were kind and warm, others were not. I never really developed a relationship with any of them, which is kind of incredible given the emotional experience that IVF is.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
This clinic seems disorganized and impersonal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care.
We were covered by insurance. We had a $30 copay each visit

2014, Unsuccessful
When I began to have major side affects to the growth hormone he [Dr. Collin Smikle] didn't seem concerned. When I hyperstimulated he also wasn't too concerned even after I ended up in the emergency room. He was unapologetic when we miscarried. My biggest complaint is the lack of medical information protection we experienced at the clinic. At each appointment the ultrasound screen would show the last patient full name, date of birth and last image taken. They didn't sign out of the machine after each appointment. The front desk area had no privacy, everyone waiting for an appointment can here us verifying our names, date of birth, payment details, at some point I wrote down my social security number so that no one could here it. The positive was I got pregnant, the negative was the OHSS and miscarriage. The nurses were friendly but left the clinic shortly after our cycle ended. Overall it was an awkward cycle and experience.
Things that went wrong [at Laurel Fertility Care] have been described in other areas of this review. In summary, lack of concern with major side affects from injections, failed calls with monitoring hormone levels, hyper stimulation, lack of compassion, and compromised medical data...Parking is costly in the clinics building. The front desk/lobby has no audio privacy, your conversations with the front desk staff is heard by everyone in the lobby. The ultrasound machine has been one of the best (clear imaging) from all clinics. The egg retrieval room doesn't feel like an operation room which is a positive but also concerned me if it was sterile. We did not see the embryology lab therefore cannot comment. The clinic is small, clean and in a nice SF building. The bathroom was equipped with feminine hygiene products (tampons, pads, wipes). I found this really nice after appointments for clean up.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr. Smikle had no bedside manner and didn't prepare for any appointment. Majority of the time we sat across his desk in silence as he reviewed and typed up our protocol. Very awkward. When I began to have major side affects to the growth hormone he didn't seem concerned. When I hyperstimulated he also wasn't too concerned even after I ended up in the emergency room. He was unapologetic when we miscarried. My biggest complaint is the lack of medical information protection we experienced at the clinic. At each appointment the ultrasound screen would show the last patient full name, date of birth and last image taken. They didn't sign out of the machine after each appointment. The front desk area had no privacy, everyone waiting for an appointment can here us verifying our names, date of birth, payment details, at some point I wrote down my social security number so that no one could here it. The positive was I got pregnant, the negative was the OHSS and miscarriage. The nurses were friendly but left the clinic shortly after our cycle ended. Overall it was an awkward cycle and experience.
Don't expect warm and fuzzy bed side manner. Keep records of all your payments. Demand medical data protection.
Felt like a human because of one nurse who was always happy to see us, responded to my inquires in a timely manner.
Estrogen primed Antagonist with growth hormone. I do terribly on birth control, Dr. Smikle agreed to work with my natural cycle which other clinics at the time wouldn't. Due to previous miscarriage he had had me on baby aspirin and a steroid as an anti-inflammatory. The growth hormone wasn't explained. The overall result was Pregnancy with hyperstimulation followed by a miscarriage. I was on medical leave for 3 months and it took 1 year to gain my health back. For a year we couldn't do IVF treatment which was super upsetting.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Laurel Fertility Care.
If they were unsure they'd quickly get an answer. They always greeted us with a smile, cared about our cycle and showed compassion with my OHSS symptoms and miscarriage.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Laurel Fertility Care.
Things that went wrong have been described in other areas of this review. In summary, lack of concern with major side affects from injections, failed calls with monitoring hormone levels, hyper stimulation, lack of compassion, and compromised medical data.
San Francisco

He [Dr. Collin Smikle] never offered any information, kept things very brief. I had to ask every question in the book in order to get much info from him. He was always somewhat cool, didn't seem to really care at all about whether I achieved pregnancy or not...Educate yourself and ask him every question you can think of. Don't expect a very warm bedside manner...We did a few cycles on Letrozole, as I hve unexplained infertility he wanted to try that first. Later down the road we did discuss doing IVF (after I had done 2 IUIs with a different physician), but never did because we couldn't afford it financially. Nurse
She [nurse at Laurel Fertility Care] wasn't always the best about getting back to me, didn't seem very invested. Also not very knowledgeable, she was always having to ask Dr. Smikle about questions I asked her...Consults were around $300 if I remember correctly. IVF was going to be around $12,000-$15,000...A somewhat detached clinic, not the warmest patient care. They really don't seem to care much about helping their patients well in achieving their dreams of having a child. Also not the cheapest, so if you can find a more caring clinic for a cheaper price, do so!
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
He never offered any information, kept things very brief. I had to ask every question in the book in order to get much info from him. He was always somewhat cool, didn't seem to really care at all about whether I achieved pregnancy or not.
To advocate for yourself. Educate yourself and ask him every question you can think of. Don't expect a very warm bedside manner.
He only talks to me for a few minutes, gives very little info, next to none. Not very warm or friendly, and acts like he could really care less whether I get pregnant or not.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Laurel Fertility Care. (Assigned nurse: Katerina)
She wasn't always the best about getting back to me, didn't seem very invested. Also not very knowledgeable, she was always having to ask Dr. Smikle about questions I asked her.
Modesto

Dr. Smikle is very clinical and direct. He tends to be a bit late to appointments. You will have to ask a lot of questions to get the information or feedback you need. His communication is a bit lacking but once asked he will give you a full answer.... Answered my questions, knew my history. Would have liked more explanations on protocols.... Make sure to ask questions - he does not elaborate a ton. Frequently late.... Menopur, Gonal F, Metformin for egg retrieval.
Billing [Laurel Fertility Care] is disorganized - you will need to keep on them. The nursing team is great but overwhelmed with patients, especially since Dr. Ekpo is on maternity leave. It is a small clinic so you'll have a personalized experience.... [Nurse] Personalized approach, sometimes confused on information.... $18,000 for IVF/PGS/ICSI/FET... Dr. Smikle is very clinical and direct. He tends to be a bit late to appointments.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Make sure to ask questions - he does not elaborate a ton. Frequently late.
Menopur, Gonal F, Metformin for egg retrieval.
Personalized approach, sometimes confused on information.
Describe your experience with Laurel Fertility Care.
Billing is disorganized - you will need to keep on them. The nursing team is great but overwhelmed with patients, especially since Dr. Ekpo is on maternity leave. It is a small clinic so you'll have a personalized experience.
$18,000 for IVF/PGS/ICSI/FET
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Laurel Fertility Care.
Billing issue - lack of organization

2013 - 2015, Successful
Dr Smikle [at Laurel Fertility Care] was competent but not a great communicator. The most frustrating/troubling part of my experience was he heavily relied on his staff for education and scheduling and his staff was completely incompetent, unprofessional and bad communicators. they made many mistakes with me and with 2 people I referred.
How was your experience with Collin Smikle at Laurel Fertility Care?
Dr Smikle was competent but not a great communicator. The most frustrating/troubling part of my experience was he heavily relied on his staff for education and scheduling and his staff was completely incompetent, unprofessional and bad communicators. they made many mistakes with me and with 2 people I referred.
Interview him first about the changes he has made to his staff. Ask what measures are in place to ensure mistakes are not made and to give timely feedback about staff and the experience in general.
Dr Smille is not warm but very direct