Medical SchoolU. of Kansas
FellowshipU. of Kansas
10777 Nall Avenue
Overland Park, KS 66211
913-588-2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Courtney Marsh to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
5 IUI, IVF
I feel like she [Dr. Marsh] is pretty good at explaining course of treatment and options. I do however feel like sometimes she generalizes and has a hard time thinking outside of the box. Dr marsh took over for a doctor that moved away in the beginning of my care at the clinic and my initial meeting with her was disastrous. Since that first meeting I think her bedside manner has improved tremendously and she’s become much more personable and relaxed with her patient interactions.
5 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Courtney Marsh at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Understanding that the majority of people who end up seeking treatment from dr Marsh are not straight forward cases and I am NO exception, I feel like she’s pretty good at explaining course of treatment and options. I do however feel like sometimes she generalizes and has a hard time thinking outside of the box. Dr marsh took over for a doctor that moved away in the beginning of my care at the clinic and my initial meeting with her was disastrous. Since that first meeting I think her bedside manner has improved tremendously and she’s become much more personable and relaxed with her patient interactions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Courtney Marsh at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Advocate. Advocate. Advocate for yourself! Speak up!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Courtney Marsh at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Marsh and her staff are compassionate and real. They have humor and understanding depending on the situation. I have felt like a number at times when calling the nurse line and asking questions relating to my specific situation and felt they were a little annoyed and were giving me “broad brush answers”.
Once in the office and even on the phone the nurses are very kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Billing is my biggest issue. Receiving numerous bills for physician and hospital charges were cumbersome to navigate. The clinic has a kind and fun front desk staff. The financial coordinators explain costs up front and answer all questions frankly, which is a welcome so there's no surprise expenditures. When i had an issue with one staff member and expressed my experience to my nurse she was extremely concerned and understanding. I had a call later that afternoon from the office manager to discuss the situation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Courtney Marsh at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
13k for ivf cycle to clinic Approximately 1k per iui cycle
What specific things went wrong at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine?
Overland Park
Dr. Marsh is a pro. She noticed my uterine lining was responding oddly to the medications prior to my FET, so she took me off meds and ordered a natural cycle with HCG trigger. It worked. We only had 1 genetically normal embryo, and she was very careful to ensure all conditions were absolutely optimal. She also took extra time with me after implantation when I had 10 weeks of bleeding due to a subchorionic hemorrhage. She never made me feel like a bother. I've sent my best friends to her and am currently starting my second IVF cycle in hopes of having a sibling for the 8 month old daughter Dr. Marsh already gave us.
Trust her.
Dr. Marsh is direct but has a compassionate demeanor. She cared about my emotional status throughout the process and even provided free guided meditation services with a nurse trained in this area. She took time to answer my questions without making me feel paranoid or like a bother.
Describe the protocols Courtney Marsh used in your cycles at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
IVF with ICSI and PGS testing (I'm over 40) Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, HCG trigger Natural cycle FET with HCG trigger and progesterone support (canceled medicated transfer because lining did not respond and I have a very regular 28-day cycle).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Raquel)
The nursing staff are top notch and always take whatever time necessary to explain treatment plans and listen to other concerns. Also, the ultrasound technicians are excellent.
The clinic is organized. Busy, but this is attributable to their solid reputation. I never waited longer than 15 minutes, and I felt like each team member was pulling for us. Also, from speaking with friends who used other clinics, I'm confident KU has the best equipment and on-site facilities without the need to go elsewhere for procedures or scans.
I believe the IVF cycle cost approximately $12,500. Plus, we paid approximately $2,000 for my husband's sperm retrieval and ICSI. Medications were approximately $4,000. And, we did pgs testing. I cannot recall the cost for this.
Overland Park
I did not feel like I was treated as an individual, because she [Dr. Marsh] never changed protocol or even suggested IVF or IUI all she wanted to do was keep doing TI even after 2 years. As we stayed with her longer, her communication between her and I and her staff and I declined....I had to advocate for myself the entire time I was there, having her as a doctor and the lack of communication and the failed treatments was defeating.
I was face to face with Dr Marsh on two occasions, the first when I had my consult and the second when I was there for what felt like the 100th sonogram. I never had any other form of personal contact from her. I walked away from Dr. Marsh feeling like all I had done was put money in her pocket and make a hole in my bank account and our hearts after month after month or failed attempts. I was so now to everything back then, I had no idea she was not doing everything possible and I did not know anything about IVF back then so I was clueless that IVF may be the answer to our years of unanswered prayers. I had to advocate for myself the entire time I was there, having her as a doctor and the lack of communication and the failed treatments was defeating. I wouldn't want anyone else to ever have to go through that. When you select a provider you do so in hopes they are going to side with you and help you attain a goal, a goal that you both put your heads together to try and achieve, this however did not happen.
If you want to use this provider, be your own advocate, do your own research and learn everything you can about infertility because Dr. Marsh is not the provider who is going to help guide you through this maze.
I did not feel like I was treated as an individual, because she never changed protocol or even suggested IVF or IUI all she wanted to do was keep doing TI even after 2 years. As we stayed with her longer, her communication between her and I and her staff and I declined.
On our first cycle we used clomid 50mg for 5 days and gonal f 75 units at night, my follices did not respond and after 46 days of shots we decided to start over without them inducing a period and switch to femara 5mg for 5 days and then started back on gonal f we raised it to 100 units at night and after 120 days on this cycle I called it just before New Years. Every cycle after that we used femara 5mg and gonal f between 100-175 iu and then HCG shot and did TI none of the cycles resulted in a positive pregnancy but after the first one all of the cycles did result in follicles and with the HCG shot I had a positive ovulation test.
Dr Marsh's nurse was very nice, I cannot remember her name offhand but she always answered my emails within a few hours and if I needed a PA or any med called in she would make sure that I had it even if she needed to figure it out on the weekends or after hours at the office. I saw this nurse more than I saw my provider and she was there for most of my follicle scans and for the negative results every cycle.
The clinic itself is not up to the standards of the parent facility. KU Med is widely known for its amazing providers, state of the art testing/treatments/equipment this clinic was nothing more than an average OB office. You may have an appointment scheduled for something but that is a soft appointment as there are likely to be 5-10 other people scheduled at the same time, especially on the weekends. This clinic used to be open even on the weekends, but as I did my last cycle there they changed to only being open 8-5 Monday through Friday, which, with this type of treatment makes things super complicated.
Usual costs of lab work, ultrasounds, and medications. My HMO covered most of my ultrasounds and lab work and I used compassionate care for the medications that were not covered.
Overland Park
Dr. Marsh expected me to have a good attitude... after going through the hell we went through at our first clinic I do NOT have a good attitude. I am NOT going to be optimistic or happy for them to poke and prod on me again for a bunch of money and another emotional catastrophe. Dr. Marsh is an excellent doctor, and had I not been through the first cycle at another clinic, I'd probably have glowing reviews... all in all though, definitely recommend, she cannot help my attitude, just made me feel worse when she would ask " is there something wrong?" YES!! There is something wrong... we are here and are hoping we don't get our hearts broken again! EVERYTHING IS WRONG!!!
Get to know her better on your first visit.
KU med specifically made us feel more like they were on our team than our previous clinic. There was no demand for money prior to being seen and our phone calls and emails were always answered in a timely manner, not with a snippy response to use a antiquated "patient portal" and to quit calling the clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jen Hope and Raquel Chavez)
Jen Hope -- Totally saved the whole situation. Made sure we completely understood everything and worked with us on when we had to make the 4hr drive to the clinic for our ultrasounds. Raquel Chavez- Not in the office much, didn't answer my questions to the extent we needed prior to a procedure for me before our FET. Now we have a new person, Turri.. I have only dealt with her once.
Strengths - Male Factor Infertility - working with Dr. Nangia in the Urology department along with the Dr. Marsh gave us the hope of having a biological child that our clinic in Tulsa told us we would never have. If it had not been for Dr. Nangia we would have never done a 2nd IVF cycle. Weakness - complete communication-- Didn't have a full bladder when I went for an appt, no one told me this needed to be done. Sent consent for FET in 3x before they finally stopped asking for it. Didn't answer all my email questions, phone system is always out of date or no one will answer. At the time of IVF, we were supposed to be at the clinic at 6 AM. The door was locked and no one would answer the phone, until the nurse came down looking for us 15 minutes later. Lots of details that would have made it a little less stressful for us.
The costs were less than what we experienced at the Tulsa Fertility Clinic by several thousand dollars and included more in the cost.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Dr. Marsh was always willing to answer questions for me. She changed my treatment plan throughout different cycles as things changed. She would call me to discuss a change she wanted to make or if something didn't go as planned. I felt as if she was not in a hurry and wanted to make sure all my questions were answered. She would even meet with me sometimes to give me the next step information instead of the nurses from time to time. I really enjoyed being her patient and it was hard to leave. However, I was thrilled things worked out.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Advocate for yourself and ask any questions you want.
Dr. Marsh was always involved in my treatments. The nurses would ask her questions and either the nurse would call back or Dr. Marsh herself. I felt like she really wanted to help me and always answered all my questions and listened to any information I had read about. I felt like she was in my corner and I was definitely treated individually.
I had to jump straight into IVF with PGD. There was a lot of prep work before I was able to start my treatments. There were things that had to be done with my husband and my blood samples at an outside lab first. Once all that was complete, I started preparing for an egg retrieval. I took follistim and menopur until directed to stop. My dosage did change and increased over time as I was monitored. I then took the HCG injection to release the eggs and after the retrieval the embryos grew until day 5. The embroyologist took biopsied to send to our outside lab and the embryos were frozen. Once the results came back telling us which embryos were healthy, we started the prep for a transfer. I began using estrogen patches. Those didn't seem to work for me to build up my lining so they added in vaginal estrace three times a day. My lining didn't get thick enough so we cancelled the cycle. The next cycle I didn't use patches but used the three estrace pills a day and then we added in follistim injections. My lining got better, but we found that there was a certain point where it was as thick as it would get. We cancelled that cycle and decided to do another egg retrieval because my lining seemed to respond better with those meds. We did another retrieval and transferred one of my frozen embryos. I became pregnant but developed OHSS and then lost the baby. I had a D&C and got an infection. Once everything was clean and ready, I prepared again for a transfer. We used estrace vaginally, follistim injections and then progesterone. This pregnancy took and I am currently 34 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jen Kooser)
My primary nurse was amazing. She was so friendly, bubbly and compassionate. She responded to my calls and emails very quickly and was wonderful to work with. Some of the other nurses I saw were wonderful as well. You begin to get to know them and they were always checking on me and seeing how things were going.
I loved this clinic. The staff when you check in were always friendly and helpful. The ladies in the lab were wonderful. The nurses are great and would answer any questions they could. They sometimes have to break bad news and I felt very safe there. Overall I was extremely pleased with the whole staff.
I believe my first full cycle was $13,000 and then my second cycle was $9,000. My final transfer was $2,500.
Describe Courtney Marsh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Dr. Marsh felt it would be best because of my age to transfer one embryo. We agreed with that choice.
Overland Park
We went with this clinic [Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine] because we had a successful IUI previously to conceive our daughter. However, IVF is a whole other ballgame. Dr. Marsh did VERY little testing, only a saline sonogram to check my uterus. She did not complete new bloodwork or do any other sonograms to check for other potential issues. On the day of fresh transfer she was completely unable and or unwilling to answer questions about our embryos when we discovered there was only one that made it to blastocyst.
We went with this clinic because we had a successful IUI previously to conceive our daughter. However, IVF is a whole other ballgame. Dr. Marsh did VERY little testing, only a saline sonogram to check my uterus. She did not complete new bloodwork or do any other sonograms to check for other potential issues. On the day of fresh transfer she was completely unable and or unwilling to answer questions about our embryos when we discovered there was only one that made it to blastocyst. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. For our frozen transfer she only required two monitoring checks and told us our blastocyst looked "good." (Later we would find out from a VERY well respected dr that the same blastocyst had quite a few dead cells. I was likely to not result in pregnancy.) Overall I do not feel that Dr. Marsh was honest with us about chances for that pregnancy.
I would STRONGLY recommend NOT using this doctor or clinic.
I voiced some serious concerns over treatment at one point and the nurse was not able to answer the questions. Dr. Marsh did call me back and took some time to explain her reasons for the treatment. Nurses for the most part were patient and kind.
I started with BC to line up my cycle with when the clinic would do retrievals. I then began injections of follistim, menopur, and ganirilex. After 10 days I took a trigger shot of Novarel and then had the egg retrieval. That evening I was on Medrol, Doxycycline, Estrogen, and Progesterone. Transfer was completed 5 days later. This cycle was a chemical pregnancy. For the FET I was on Estradiol for 20 days before starting Endometrim for 5 days and then the transfer. I also had estradiol patches to increase lining. This transfer was negative.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jen and Rachelle)
The nursing staff was wonderful (although this is important, I STRONGLY recommend not choosing a clinic based on the kindness of nurses. You want someone who gets you pregnant!)
This clinic has undergone MAJOR changes during 2015. Three doctors left as well as the head of their lab. To my knowledge Marsh is the only doctor who is actually board certified. I have used this clinic in some aspect since 2012 and have witnessed it slowly fall apart.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine.
Monitoring appointments were only done in the morning between 7-9 am. It was different every time I went whether you would wait for 5 minutes or 50.
A cycle of IVF was just under $10k without medication. A frozen cycle was a little over $4k without medication. All testing was a separate charge.
Overland Park
[Dr. Marsh] started with Femara since I have PCOS and using Clomid would be more dangerous. When I failed to respond, injectables were added to the protocol with a trigger shot. This hybrid protocol was used for all 3 cycles with increasing dosages of Gonal-F until I responded in a quick manner...Dr. Marsh is clearly an industry expert and engaged with the research community, which makes me feel confident that she is giving me the latest information possible. She is very willing to answer any questions I may have. She does not however offer over the top emotional support, which some women value.
Be prepared to ask a lot of questions.
The staff was always kind and caring in treatment. They made sure to make me feel comfortable with the medications and procedures every step of the way.
We started with Femara since I have PCOS and using Clomid would be more dangerous. When I failed to respond, injectables were added to the protocol with a trigger shot. This hybrid protocol was used for all 3 cycles with increasing dosages of Gonal-F until I responded in a quick manner.
Well coordinated and timely. They always provide same day call backs and show great care in their work. Special thanks to the sonographers who always show the most kindness.
The clinic as a whole functions as a well oiled machine with everyone in the office very knowledgeable about each patient. It is conveniently located right off the highway and usually runs on time getting you in and out really quickly.
My insurance has infertility coverage even covering IVF. I pay roughly $500 per hybrid cycle with a max out of pocket being $5000 a year.
Overland Park
She [Dr Marsh] was the third doctor I had worked with, and I felt her level of care and attention was appropriate given my history of treatments. I'm polycystic but also have a thin lining issue. She thought outside the box with my protocol and I feel that is why I was finally able to achieve a pregnancy. At the point in my FET cycle when most Drs would have cancelled me for lining, Dr Marsh allowed my body to go a little longer on the meds to see if my lining would thicken, just at a slower pace than most patients. It worked!
She was the third doctor I had worked with, and I felt her level of care and attention was appropriate given my history of treatments. I'm polycystic but also have a thin lining issue. She thought outside the box with my protocol and I feel that is why I was finally able to achieve a pregnancy. At the point in my FET cycle when most Drs would have cancelled me for lining, Dr Marsh allowed my body to go a little longer on the meds to see if my lining would thicken, just at a slower pace than most patients. It worked!
Dr Marsh had a great bedside manner. No complaints.
She allowed my body to develop a lining at its own (slow!) pace and adjusted my meds along the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
The nursing staff is so amazing that I actually MISSED them when my care transferred to a regular OB for prenatal care. I can't say enough positive things about nurse, Jen!
The clinic is busy, but the staff is friendly and well organized. My only complaint is that wait times could be long for a blood work/sono appointment depending on the day and time. (Monday and Friday mornings especially) They offer appointments as early as 7:00/7:30 for working gals like myself, and on certain days of the week 6:30!
I believe we paid about $12,000 for our IVF cycle with ICSI, and then another $5000 to a third party for PGS.
4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Dr Courtney Marsh is the nicest Dr. She listens, she is compassionate. Now that being said. I think she isnt aggressive enough with her harder cases. She likes to follow the book and treat every case like a text book case, which infertility is definitely not text book.... Im DOR. Ive always been on the highest amount of meds for the longest they can push me. Usually 12-14 days. Ive always did 5 day transfers. With progesterone until 14dpt. With donor eggs the only thing we did differently was tried to endo scratch. Those results were never sent off to be tested.
4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
Not sure.
All of the ultrasound techs are very compassionate which is good because you see them alot. I only had a primary IVF nurse because I only ever did IVF. She was nice but easily aggravated. The blood lab ladies were always very nice.
I think the Kansas City area as a whole lacks enough Reproductive Endocrinologists. With as many couples seeking treatment as there are. This clinic as well as every other one in the area, they're just busy. And you are on there time.
All ultra sound nurses are great
I believe it was 10-12 thousand. Not counting medication.
Never had the choice. Usually only had one to transfer.
Overland Park
She [Dr. Marsh] does seem like a very good doctor but just is not personable and did not give much time to talk over treatment plan. She did not say anything about my husband’s side of the infertility and the cause was never stated.... She wasn’t very personable and seemed to just be going through the motions.... I would recommend they be prepared with a specific list of questions because the time with her is short.
She does seem like a very good doctor but just is not personable and did not give much time to talk over treatment plan. She did not say anything about my husband’s side of the infertility and the cause was never stated.
She wasn’t very personable and seemed to just be going through the motions.
I really like all of the nurses we encountered. They answered any questions we had and were all very friendly. They responded to calls and emails very quickly.
The clinic is nice and clean. It it difficult to get through on the phones sometimes even during business hours. It seemed like there were certain a times they office assistants would actually answer the phone. The clinic worked well with scheduling times that worked for us.
IVF was $9,500 plus the cost of meds which was quoted at $3,000-$5,000. Each semen analysis was $220. Infectious disease labs were $700 and basic labs were $220.
She only does eSET she says.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Marsh was kind, empathetic and professional....However, after 3 cycles converted to IUIs and 1 retrieval that failed to make a blast, we felt that the entire practice and lab was too new and thought we could get better results at a more established clinic....One thing is make sure you get the office to agree to in-person consultations after a failed procedure. My husband and I had a hard time getting a time and a location to meet with Dr. Marsh after our failed retrieval.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality
Dr. Marsh was very professional and kind. However, after 3 cycles converted to IUIs and 1 retrieval that failed to make a blast, we felt that the entire practice and lab was too new and thought we could get better results at a more established clinic.
Dr. Marsh was kind, empathetic and professional.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Kansas University Center for Advanced Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Turri Hall)
Turri was the main nurse and IVF coordinator. She was professional and all business. I sometimes needed her to re-explain or walk through Items again because she would fly through the instructions. It would have been nice to have been shown a little more compassion. The other nurses we interacted with for shots and during retrieval were warmer.
Overall, they felt like a very young clinic and even though another doctor had been there for a while, they appeared to be changing methodologies. Once we discovered SART reports, my husband and I felt they didn’t have the successes to continue with them.
Overland Park
I am young and had no known reason for infertility. Dr. Marsh wasted no time figuring out what the reason(s) we couldn't conceive and acted fast to put a plan together. They accommodated my husbands schedule when he needed to go in for testing as well. When his results came back they reached out on many outlets to get us the information, and then waited no time sending us the referral he now needs as well.
There are multiple resources to reach out to the staff. They also accommodate male infertility, making the process much smoother than others I have heard of.
The front desk staff always remembers me by name, and get me back promptly. They are great about answering questions and will find the answer if they don't know it. Even the lab staff is wonderful and try to make the process as painless as possible. I have only had to wait once and they didn't make me feel rushed through my appointment like I have experienced other places.
Overland Park
[Dr. Courtney Marsh was] Very professional and courteous. She set realistic expectations, and we were pleasantly surprised to have early success. She spoke to us in a clear manner and was reassuring when we had concerns...I tried IUI a few times, I think just because my insurance required it. And we did injected medicine for 2 months...had excellent bedside manner.
Have realistic expectations, but don't give up hope. It was a check to my ego to go through this process, but it was worth it in the end!
Excellent care, things were explained in full. Physician and staff had excellent bedside manner.
I tried IUI a few times, I think just because my insurance required it. And we did injected medicine for 2 months. I just followed the directions they gave me
Excellent location, good access with parking, and very nice building. Front desk is very nice, and I always received follow-up phone calls. I guess I would have liked a cappucciono provided to drink while I waited, and the interaction from the finance team could have been more clear.
It was about $13k in total
One embryo was recommended
Overland Park
She [Dr. Marsh] took the time to get to know me and my husband. She has excellent bedside manner...She is always listening and has an answer for any worry or question. I know she is there for me and I feel her support. She is like a cheerleader in wanting to have her patients be successful. She treats me like a friend rather than a patient...Femura- 1 round to try to get me to ovulate, unsuccessful treatment was changed. Gonal f injections with trigger shots-2 rounds, unsuccessful, treatment was changed Currently going through ivf
Write down questions ahead of time for the appointments
She took the time to get to know me and my husband. She has excellent bedside manner.
Quick in responding phone calls and emails. Call to follow up on days when they aren't working. Ensures the patients understand the treatment plan
It is a clean clinic. It is easy to find. Staff are always friendly and smiling.
Single is more successful and less of a risk for mom and baby