Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery

Medical SchoolS. Illinois U.
ResidencyS. Illinois U.
FellowshipS. Illinois U.
12611 World Plaza Lane
Fort Myers, FL 33907
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Craig Sweet to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery to a friend?
IVF Cycle #2 [Dr. Sweet] used the antagonist protocol and prepped with CoQ10 and DHEA supplements. Also took baby aspirin to increase blood flow. I had many more follicles and 3 embryos made it to day 5 and one was a blastocyst! My lining was much thicker as well! I got pregnant with one baby from this cycle...made me feel like a human because he really took the time to talk to me. He listened to my questions and remembered me and our case when he saw us.
How was your experience with Craig Sweet at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery?
Dr. Sweet is not a touchy-feely doctor. His bedside manner is dry and blunt. He is very knowledgeable and up to date on research. He shows compassion and listens very well. While we were undergoing testing to find out what our problems were, I appreciated how he laid out everything he was going to look for and test in the order he would order things. After our first failed IVF cycle, he listened to my concerns about one of the injectible medicines I was on and adjusted my protocol for cycle #2 which had a huge increase in follicles for me and ultimately brought us our take home baby.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Craig Sweet at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery?
Look for emotional support in someone other than Dr. Sweet.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Craig Sweet at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery?
Dr. Sweet made me feel like a human because he really took the time to talk to me. He listened to my questions and remembered me and our case when he saw us.
Describe the protocols Craig Sweet used in your cycles at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery and their degree of success.
IVF Cycle #1, we used the long lupron protocol. I had lower than expected developed follicles and we only had 2 embryos survive to day 5. Neither of them made it to the blastocyst stage and my uterine lining was at the very minimum for transfer. We transferred both and it resulted in a chemical pregnancy. IVF Cycle #2 used the antagonist protocol and prepped with CoQ10 and DHEA supplements. Also took baby aspirin to increase blood flow. I had many more follicles and 3 embryos made it to day 5 and one was a blastocyst! My lining was much thicker as well! I got pregnant with one baby from this cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery. (Assigned nurse: Rebecca)
The IVF coordinator was wonderful. She was knowledgeable and personable. She was really rooting for us and gave us her cell phone number to reach out at any time. At times she seemed a bit scatterbrained when it came to our charts. Some of the other nurses seemed like beginners. One nurse in particular repeatedly had trouble drawing my blood and it was quite painful. Everyone on the nursing staff was very nice.
Describe your experience with Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery.
I had many issues with the front desk staff and billing department. To book my initial appointment, I was on hold for over 40 minutes! The billing department repeatedly never called back or responded to emails. Once you can get passed the gatekeepers, I think you will like the nurses and Dr. Sweet.
Describe Craig Sweet's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery.
We trusted his guidance in our situation.
What specific things went wrong at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery?
Fort Myers
He [Dr. Craig Sweet] used a low dose of stim medications because of my PCOS and decreased the risk of OHSS using a lupron trigger...We were in agreement with Dr. Sweet by only transfer one embryo given the risks and our ages...genuinely cares about all his patients. He never treats you as a number. He takes time with his patients and allows for the best outcome possible...He is compassionate and so good at what he does.
Dr. Sweet is truely amazing. He is compassionate and so good at what he does. He takes time to understand the best options for every diagnosis and he never gives you false hope. He has always been upfront and honest with us about our chances. I can’t say enough great things about Dr. Sweet. We are still in the middle of treatments but we have confidence in him.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and understand all treatments.
Dr. Sweet genuinely cares about all his patients. He never treats you as a number. He takes time with his patients and allows for the best outcome possible.
Agonist Protocol. He used a low dose of stim medications because of my PCOS and decreased the risk of OHSS using a lupron trigger.
Our IVF coordinator Rebecca was so amazing. She answered all of our questions and concerns and was always compassionate, organized and had great communication. We also had Whitley for a period of time and she’s equally as amazing!
Describe your experience with Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery.
The office has great communication, easy scheduling and always calls right away with results. Everyone is very friendly and knowledgeable. They always do their very best to have your questions answered.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Craig Sweet at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery.
Dr. Sweet offers the dream a baby discount for those paying out of pocket which was a life saver.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
During our initial consultation, Dr. Sweet was very warm and humorous. He explained everything in detail and made us feel comfortable. He tells things like they are and seems to be honest about our chances--no sugar coating. He can be a bit abrupt at times... Dr. Sweet put me on 4-6 rounds of Letrozole, along with a low dose of Metformin. Two HSGs (both difficult for the radiologists to interpret) have since revealed I may have a blocked tube. I may have surgery on the tube and we expect to undergo IVF in the coming months.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Don't expect him to tell you what you want to hear. He is realistic about options and chances.
Dr. Sweet takes time with us and makes us feel like more than a number. However, we sometimes feel like a number when dealing with the ever-rotating staff.
Initially, it was believed our only issue was PCOS. Dr. Sweet put me on 4-6 rounds of Letrozole, along with a low dose of Metformin. Two HSGs (both difficult for the radiologists to interpret) have since revealed I may have a blocked tube. I may have surgery on the tube and we expect to undergo IVF in the coming months.
In the year we have been patients, the staff at Dr. Sweet's office has changed quite a bit. I haven't gotten to know any one nurse or assistant. The office staff seems unorganized and lacks compassion.
Describe your experience with Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery.
This clinic and doctor have a great reputation. Dr. Sweet is extremely experienced and knowledgable. I appreciated that he did not push us toward expensive treatments but allowed us to try low-cost medication for several months. I would just like a more personal relationship with someone on the nursing staff. I almost always talk to and see a different nurse or assistant.
IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
I went to Dr. Sweet because he said he wanted to be a miracle blessing to me & my husband and he could provide us Grade A quality embryos very quickly. He insisted that we travel to Ft.Myers to consult with him & have all of my medical testing repeated w him as he did not trust others doctors records & procedures that had verified my general health, uterine health & hormone levels...I was so caught off guard & completely devastated by his comments
IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
I went to Dr. Sweet because he said he wanted to be a miracle blessing to me & my husband and he could provide us Grade A quality embryos very quickly. He insisted that we travel to Ft.Myers to consult with him & have all of my medical testing repeated w him as he did not trust others doctors records & procedures that had verified my general health, uterine health & hormone levels. Even though I had just seen a very well respected doctor in St. Louis 2 months earlier with all of the same tests. He said his clinic needed the same procedures repeated 2 months later as they couldn't put trust in another doctors reports he wanted to be sure of the results to be most accurate. Being positive that this would work I paid the money cash & began treatment. He said it could take 1-2 attempts but not more than that because they had the best embryos of any clinic. I got to choose if I wanted 2 or 3 embryos but on the day of the procedure he & his embryologist said the embryos were sooo good that they couldn't possibly take a chance to put 3 in- they strongly urged me to only take the 2 embryos, they could not in good conscience put 3 in as I would have multiple births & at "my age" I could not afford that to happen for my own health (although women are having babies in their late 40s & early 50s today w healthy twins at that)! The pregnancy did not occur so we spoke on the phone as to what the next step would be. I decided to move forward w another attempt. I paid cash again for the services & he said I could pick 2 or 3 embryos & then again they said these embryos are even stronger than the last ones there is no way they could put 3 inside of me & they did not want to skew their numbers so high that they looked like they were not being honest on their records, as they have such a high taken rate on successful pregnancies. So I opted again against my instinct to only have 2 transferred. They were rated grade "A+" embryos. I was going to take a 3rd round & pay cash again but when on the phone again w Dr. Sweet said, "Jeanine I have a responsibility to these embryos to provide them the best chance at survival & to put them where they can have a chance to live. It's like real estate. you buy a piece of property & you have been sinking money into it & you come to realize that this property no longer is worth putting anymore money into. The property is not going to give you the return you are wanting. It is better to just cut your losses." I was so caught off guard & completely devastated by his comments I couldn't even respond. He said it was up to me if I wanted to move forward to another transfer but he could not in good conscience do more than 3 rounds w me because he wanted to put these babies in a place where they had a chance at life. I decided not to take a third round as I was really battling with emotional rebound about my own self. I sent the embryo pictures to 2 different embryologist, both clinics said AT BEST they might be a grade B. Six months after I decided not to come to the clinic for the 3rd time I received a bill for over $200 for that 20 minute devastating & degrading phone call. I called & emailed to Karina the accounting lady & she only responded with it is a phone consultation fee. My husband called & left a message and we did not hear back from them for another several months when they sent a bill & said it was going to collections- they would not talk to us until this time & she said he is not budging on the fee. You have a right to know. I was not told that he was charging me for a phone call to decide what the next step would be, as we did this on the last treatment and there was no charge, maybe because I decided to move forward w another treatment. We did receive a call from his AMAZING nurse that said she would have him waive the fee. Beware~
I understand that there are no guarantees in this field. We have been on this journey for almost 15 years and spent over $200,000 cash out of pocket. There are NO reviews good or bad of any of the doctors or clinics in 15 years from us. This was a very emotionally devastating experience to recover from. If you have been through this journey you hear all kinds of negative news, your eggs are too old, you're too old, you have less than a 15% chance to have a live birth etc. But to have a doctor make comments like he did not only affected my emotions, it had a major impact on our business with regard to performance. I have been very diligent on reading positive books, doing yoga, meditation healing and acupuncture and I am back on track. I would have never written this review if they had not sent a consultation fee 6 months after the treatment, then never returned the calls and then told us last week they were sending us to collections. I was so disappointed and also wanted to warn others. We have enough inner battles to overcome- it shouldn't be with our doctor! Warmest Regards, Jeanine
I went to Dr. Sweet because he said he wanted to be a miracle blessing to me & my husband and he could provide us Grade A quality embryos very quickly. He insisted that we travel to Ft. Myers to consult with him & have all of my medical testing repeated w him as he did not trust others doctors records & procedures that had verified my general health, uterine health & hormone levels. Even though I had just seen a well respected docotr in St. Louis. He said his clinic need the same procedures repeated 2 months later. Keeping with having a positive attitude that this would work I paid the money cash & began treatment. He said it could take 1-2 attempts but not more than that because they had the best embryos of any clinic. I got to choose if I wanted 2 or 3 embryos but on the day of the procedure he & his embryologist said the embryos were sooo good that they couldn't possibly take a chance to put 3 in- they strongly urged me to only take the 2 embryos, they could not in good conscience put 3 in as I would have multiple births & at "my age" I could not afford that to happen for my own health (although women are having babies in their late 40s & early 50s today w healthy twins at that)! The pregnancy did not occur so we spoke on the phone as to what the next step would be. I decided to move forward w another attempt. I paid cash again for the services & he said I could pick 2 or 3 embryos & then again they said these embryos are even stronger than the last ones there is no way they could put 3 inside of me & they did not want to skew their numbers so high that they looked like they were not being honest on their records, as they have such a high taken rate on successful pregnancies. So I opted again against my instinct to only have 2 transferred. They were rated grade "A+" embryos. I was going to take a 3rd round & pay cash again but when on the phone again w Dr. Sweet said, "Jeanine I have a responsibility to these embryos to provide them the best chance at survival & to put them where they can have a chance to live. It's like real estate. you buy a piece of property & you have been sinking money into it & you come to realize that this property no longer is worth putting anymore money into. The property is not going to give you the return you are wanting. It is better to just cut your losses." I was so caught off guard & completely devastated by his comments I couldn't even respond. He said it was up to me if I wanted to move forward to another transfer but he could not in good conscience do more than 3 rounds w me because he wanted to put these babies in a place where they had a chance at life. I decided not to take a third round as I was really battling with emotional rebound about my own self. I sent the embryo pictures to 2 different embryologist, both clinics said AT BEST they might be a grade B. Six months after I decided not to come to the clinic for the 3rd time I received a bill for over $200 for that 20 minute devastating & degrading phone call. I called & emailed to Karina the accounting lady & she only responded with it is a phone consultation fee. My husband called & left a message and we did not hear back from them for another several months when they sent a bill & said it was going to collections- they would not talk to us until this time & she said he is not budging on the fee. I did receive a call from his AMAZING nurse who said she would get him to drop the fee. She is really is the only saving grace for his practice (she even gave us her cell if we needed to talk over the weekends!) You have a right to know. I was not told that he was charging me for a phone call to decide what the next step would be, as we did this on the last treatment and there was no charge, maybe because I decided to move forward w another treatment. Beware~
donor embryos
Describe your experience with your nurse at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery. (Assigned nurse: Whitley - she is AMAZING)
Whitley is the only reason I was not going to write a bad review- she is amazing and compassionate!
Describe your experience with Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery.
Do NOT go! I went because they said they could get me in quick and give me grade A donor embryos. His personal nurse Whitley was absolutely compassionate and top notch. I would never say the things he said to me to another human. He also made degrading comments about another doctor I had worked with in the past. Very unprofessional.
I spent roughly 8-10000 per treatment with all of the extra blood work, tests and meds needed
he said I could pick 2 or 3 and both times he changed his mind when I was on the table waiting for transfer and said only 2- they were "so good" he could not chance it- but 2 other clinics said they would rate them at best a grade b quality
Fort Myers
Do not expect to walk into dr sweets office expecting a warm and fuzzy feeling from him. He is very direct and uses other cases and studies to back up his statement...When I first began seeing dr sweet for my pcos I was placed on letrezole. I did conceive after two months and sadly miscarried...Although letrezole helped me conceive the cycles were not monitored. I was not getting blood work or scans done to see if it was working or not.
Dr sweet is very blunt and does not sugar coat the situation. He has a unique sense of humor but is extremely knowledgeable in his field. He does not give treatment plans based on the masses but will find numbers and statistics that match your situation.
Dr sweet did a good job at not making me feel like just another number however it was difficult to get the same treatment from his staff.
When I first began seeing dr sweet for my pcos I was placed on letrezole. I did conceive after two months and sadly miscarried . I was put back on letrezole shortly after and have not conceived since. Although letrezole helped me conceive the cycles were not monitored. I was not getting blood work or scans done to see if it was working or not.
Describe your experience with Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery.
The clinic is very disorganized at times. The staff does not treat patients the way I feel they should be treated. Getting a call back was almost impossible. When I tried to transfer my medical records I was told it would take up to 3 weeks and if I wanted I could stop by and pick up a copy of my medical records but I will be charged $2.00 per sheet . And even doing it that way it would still be about two weeks
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Don't be scared off by his [Dr. Craig Sweet] sometimes dry bedside manner...What Dr. Sweet may lack in bedside manner at times, his main nurse Whitley makes up for it. She is great!...I liked his no nonsense approach and honest and very professional demeanor. He always got right down to business and didn't waste time. He knew exactly what needed to be done and did not sugar coat anything as to give me false hope.
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Don't be scared off by his sometimes dry bedside manner.
Personal calls from his nurse; many follow up emails; regularly checked in with me to see if I had any questions or concerns.
I did not have any eggs and was single do I needed speed too. I chose embryos I wanted. Continued on birth control pills until 20 days prior to transfer, then started Lupron injections, then closer I started taking Estradial several times a day along with progesterone injections and vaginal suppositories.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery. (Assigned nurse: Whitley)
Describe your experience with Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery.
It was an outpatient clinic. Not too fancy but just right.
Fort Myers
He [Dr. Craig Sweet] is very knowledgeable and I like that he doesn't sugar coat details. He isn't warm and fuzzy but he isn't harsh either. He takes the time to explain all the options that are available with realistic expectations...Menopur, Follistim, Saizen, Ganirellez, letrozole, HCG, Crinone...The office has a cycle every 6-8 weeks. I have a very busy work schedule and having to work around their calendar was very difficult.
He is very knowledgeable and I like that he doesn't sugar coat details. He isn't warm and fuzzy but he isn't harsh either. He takes the time to explain all the options that are available with realistic expectations.
Write down your questions and take notes
Although Dr. Sweet is great, I feel very rushed when meeting with the Nurses.
Menopur, Follistim, Saizen, Ganirellez, letrozole, HCG, Crinone
Emails were not always timely and I often felt rushed with my questions.
Cycle #1 $11,000, FET $4000, Cycle #2 $9400
Fort Myers
He ;[Dr/ Sweet] spends a lot of time face to face helping us to understand our situation specifically and wants us to really understand our options. It honestly feels like he cares about us and wants us to be successful. Very human, very genuine...We had a lot of questions and he spent a lot of time with us answering each of them in depth. He gave us a lot of options and didn't appear to be pushing the most expensive but wanted us to do what was right for us. He gave us a lot of resources to review so we were really educated
He's very considerate and genuinely seemed like he wanted us to be successful. We had a lot of questions and he spent a lot of time with us answering each of them in depth. He gave us a lot of options and didn't appear to be pushing the most expensive but wanted us to do what was right for us. He gave us a lot of resources to review so we were really educated
Ask a lot of questions, he likes to be an educator, he'll give you all the information you need if you ask for it
He spends a lot of time face to face helping us to understand our situation specifically and wants us to really understand our options. It honestly feels like he cares about us and wants us to be successful. Very human, very genuine
On time, friendly, private
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Dr. Sweet is straightforward, thorough and honest. He is very good at what he does and I would recommend him for this purpose. We had success on our first IVF round and appreciated his guidance throughout the process.... I would advise future patients to be realistic about their journey through this process as it is different for all.... We followed the doctors advice to do IVF and were successful after one round.
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
We followed the doctors advice to do IVF and were successful after one round.
The nursing staff were mostly organized and thorough.
Describe your experience with Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery.
The office staff sometimes mixed up our paperwork. They sent us someone else's results once. Overall they were good with scheduling appointments in a flexible manner, etc. They were usually very positive and kind-mannered.
$10000 for IVF and $7000 for drugs.
Our doctor recommended what would be most successful for us and it was.
2012
6 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
I can't say enough about Dr. Sweet. He is so dedicated and no nonsense. I would highly recommend him and his results are amazing. I would travel across the world to have Dr. Sweet as my Dr. Very kind, compassionate but most importantly skilled!...Dr. Sweet spent a very long time to evaluate and explain everything....Donor Embryo, frozen transfer, first cycle success!...The office [Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery] can be a little disjointed and I suspect it's because Dr. Sweet's rates are reasonable therefore he's focused on success and not cushiness.
2012
6 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Do no go elsewhere. He is by far the best!
Dr. Sweet spent a very long time to evaluate and explain everything.
Donor Embryo, frozen transfer, first cycle success!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery. (Assigned nurse: Yes)
The office can be a little disjointed and I suspect it's because Dr. Sweet's rates are reasonable therefore he's focused on success and not cushiness.
Describe your experience with Specialists in Reproductive Medicine & Surgery.
Dr. Sweet amazing. The staff not as much - don't let that stop you. He's AMAZING!!!!
Less expensive than I had previously paid and very reasonable.