Medical SchoolU. of Utah
FellowshipUSC
1000 E. Park Blvd.
Boise, ID 83712
208-342-5900
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Cristin Slater to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine to a friend?
I have only seen the doctor one time...6 plus months ago....Dr Slater was very thorough and precise when speaking with me....I didn’t know the protocol was clomid for days 2-6 because I never got any kind of instructions. So I only found out after two months of taking it on the incorrect days. I finally asked for a treatment calendar once I knew about it...There is little to no instruction or education provided...
How was your experience with Cristin Slater at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine?
The staff is very unprofessional and unreliable. I have had to call multiple times to ask questions and rarely receive a call back unless I make a fuss. I am emailed (which is very impersonal) and once received another persons lab orders/treatment plan by email. The MA seems scattered and unorganized. I was told they had my husband’s lab results then later that they didn’t and we had already started treatment. I wasn’t given a treatment calendar until I asked for one (once I knew such a thing existed). I have only seen the doctor one time...6 plus months ago. Very poor customer service and as a nurse I feel this is unethical...with no other fertility clinics to choose from people are stuck to endure it if they want a baby. I also asked to get a PA for a medication, which wasn’t completed and when I called to find out what happened all I got were excuses. Once I expressed my frustration the MA took responsibility and apologized but it doesn’t take back the last several months of additional stress I have had to put up with.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Cristin Slater at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Do your research first because you have to manage a lot of things yourself. There is little to no instruction or education provided by this clinic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Cristin Slater at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr Slater was very thorough and precise when speaking with me.
Describe the protocols Cristin Slater used in your cycles at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Clomid 100mg on days 3-7 then gonal on day 9 U/S on day 10 and then day 12 again triggered with ovidrel that day then times intercourse at 12,24,36hrs clomid 100mg days 3-7 gonal on day 10 U/S day 12 triggered with ovidrel that day then timed intercourse 12,24,36hrs (I asked to switch the gonal and U/S days on this cycle) in hopes that I wouldn’t have to get two ultrasounds (which are $220 a piece)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Medical assistant Maria)
See comments listed previously
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Very friendly reception staff, Autumn was very kind. The billing lady (Michelle) is kind of curt which was frustrating as this is a very stressful and expensive process. I called and asked to get some things added to my gap exemption and she took care of it but then went on in her email about how long it took her on the phone and how busy she was that day because one of the receptionists was out sick, very unprofessional.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Cristin Slater at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
$220 per ultrasound Gonal $65 per injection Ovidrel $50 per injection
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr Slater has been great. She is very smart and explains things very well. She shows compassion and empathy and really wants to help achieve my goal of getting pregnant.... I have endometriosis and one tube is blocked. My options for the most success is IVF. That is costly for me but we may have to go that route. In the meantime Dr Slater has mentioned IUI with an aggressive approach as far as fertility drugs go.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr Slater has been great. She is very smart and explains things very well. She shows compassion and empathy and really wants to help achieve my goal of getting pregnant. I have had two friends that have seen her and we’re successful. I am hopeful and positive that will be my outcome as well as is Dr Slater.
To ask all questions and not be afraid to ask. It may not be what you want to hear but it’s reality and Dr Slater will give you a straight forward answer in the most compassionate way. She is willing to work with you on your treatment plan so don’t get discouraged!
I think she is great. Very caring and shows compassion and empathy. I felt very comfortable talking with her.
I have endometriosis and one tube is blocked. My options for the most success is IVF. That is costly for me but we may have to go that route. In the meantime Dr Slater has mentioned IUI with an aggressive approach as far as fertility drugs go. We have not decided but with the best success being IVF we may decide to go that route.
They were great! Very compassionate and caring! They are all knowledgeable on your treatment plan and truly care about your treatment and hope for a successful pregnancy as much as you do!
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
It has all been great as far as the Dr and nurses. The financial coordinator has been ok. Very nice but not as knowledgeable. Not very many treatment options financially to choose from so that’s a little frustrating and discouraging especially since we don’t have all this money up front to pay for treatment.
For IVF it’s going to cost close to 20,000. For IUI cost is close to 2,000
Boise
Dr. Slater is kind, and willing to answer as many questions as you have. I get the sense that she genuinely wants this process to be successful for her patients. If I had a primary suggestion to make, it would be to give some more attention to communicating in patient-friendly ways. Obviously, Dr. Slater has piles and piles of specialized scientific knowledge. And obviously, she is so immersed in the world of fertility treatment that the esoteric, jargonistic language, and acronyms, and process descriptions are second nature to her. But for patients embarking upon these complicated, expensive, overwhelming treatments, it's really important that they be communicated with carefully to ensure full understanding. For example, perhaps instead of saying "attrition rates of blastocysts," say "the number of fertilized eggs that don't make it." As part of my job, I read scientific literature and research all day. I can't imagine how people who don't are able to get much from those check-ins...
Write down questions you have in advance of meetings, ask them, and write down their answers. It's a lot of information to take it, and invariably you will leave a meeting and remember that you meant to ask X, or Y, but forgot in the moment.
My interactions with Dr. Slater have been good, and I don't feel like a number when talking with her. But most of my interactions with the clinic broadly have made me feel like a number. It's often clear that they don't really know who I am as a patient. For example, a small glance at my file (or a note left in the computer, etc) would remind them that I don't have a husband, and allow them to avoid asking questions relevant only to people who do. I don't expect everyone in the clinic to remember personal details about all the patients. But there are ways to set themselves up to make it FEEL like they do-- or at least make it apparent that they took the time to flip open your chart before a conversation.
So far, standard IUI protocol using Clomid and injectables. While this has produced desired egg production, it has not resulted in pregnancy.
The nurses I've interacted with have all been very kind. Especially Jen.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is fine. I think a new patient would want to know that they need to be prepared to coordinate their own care quite a bit if they're not yet at the IVF stage. I expect this is the case with most clinics. It would also be nice if they were contracted with more insurance providers. For example, while my insurance (which is a very large, national insurer) doesn't cover fertility treatment, it would cover some testing etc. if ICRM was in-network.
For IUI (including ultrasounds, meds, and procedure) approximately $1,500-$2,000 per cycle. More for some cycles if additional monitoring was needed.
Describe Cristin Slater's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
No comments
4 IUI, IVF
She [Dr. Slater] was always good at getting to the point, but never wanted to try anything considered to be "contriversial" in treatment plan (ie: blood clotting disorder tests, uterine infection tests, she barely recommended the ERA). She is nice, but she loves to push for testing (like pgs) even when you specifically tell her no many times,...Not very good bedside manor, when she called w test results there wasn't any empathy in her voice, always pushed for pgs testing when we acknowledged not wanting it many times...
4 IUI, IVF
She was always good at getting to the point, but never wanted to try anything considered to be "contriversial" in treatment plan (ie: blood clotting disorder tests, uterine infection tests, she barely recommended the ERA). She is nice, but she loves to push for testing (like pgs) even when you specifically tell her no many times, I finally switched doctors to one in same office bc of this)
Don't let her push you into anything you don't want to do
Grow as many eggs as possible, pgs test everything (we didnt), do minimal after transfer. Iui was always the same, never changed (Clomid, gonal-f, trigger). Ivf always the same too (estrogen, progesterone, transfer)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Maria )
The nurses for iui (Maria) and Slater ivf (zabrina) weren't very professional. There were 3 iui that got cancelled bc she didn't order my meds in time. Zabrina couldn't communicate well, then sent an email complaining about me to me by accident when she was trying to send it to the RE. Unprofessional
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The REs at this office love to control your cycle any way they can. They don't tell you up front that certain things can't do on the weekends (rather don't want to), they require money upfront, don't take payments from all insurance, will push for testing when not needed, unprofessional
Iui was about $1400 per cycle not including lab work. Ivf fresh I don't remember bc my insurance covered a lot. Ivf fet is $3600 per cycle not including blood work
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
I really enjoyed Dr. Slater. I, too, have a dry-ish sense of humor. She might come off as blunt to some, but I actually prefer that in a person. These visits can be overwhelming, but she takes time with you without rushing you out the door and really tries to make sure that you understand what's going to happen, and what's next...Dr. Slater gets to know you and is very involved in the process, which she tailors to your specific needs. She takes lots of time with you and answers any questions you may have.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Listen to her! She has an excellent track record and makes all recommendations for a reason.
Dr. Slater gets to know you and is very involved in the process, which she tailors to your specific needs. She takes lots of time with you and answers any questions you may have. You get a sense that she's as invested in a positive outcome as you are.
I was fortunate to conceive twins on my first IVF cycle. I had suffered recurrent miscarriages with no explanations. One of the explanations provided, post-retrieval, was poor egg quality - which stands to reason. Of 27 eggs retrieved at age 37, only 11 fertilized, and only 5 of those made it to blast stage, which I'm told is a lower-than-average percentage. In the event that I was also miscarrying because of a progesterone deficiency, I was pre-emptively put on progesterone vaginal suppositories for the first 13 weeks of my pregnancy. Of two 5-day fresh blasts transferred, both stuck and resulted in di/di boy/girl twins.
When I graduated from the clinic and was passed to the OB, the nursing staff cried right along with me, tears of happiness for our success. They care about you, and they're invested in your outcomes. Absolutely could not be nicer people.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
They tend to go over things very quickly, so I recommend bringing a friend or family member / husband, and pens and notepads, so that two+ heads are better than one. I found myself emotionally overwhelmed sometimes, and didn't absorb all of the information necessary, but my "appointment buddy" did, and would write everything down for me, and ask all of the right questions, and go over things with me later so we could talk them through. If I had tried to learn everything by myself, I would have been lost.
The egg retrieval and subsequent fresh transfer and all visits associated was around $9500. The drug regimen required was an additional $4500. The freezing of leftover embryos was $1000, and will be an additional $500 per year. After a deductible was met, my insurance covered the ultrasounds and prenatal care required after I had a positive pregnancy test.
My clinic refused to transfer more than two, as a rule, and they may have had age restrictions on that. I transferred two by choice, knowing that the result could be twins, or in rare cases, more. They were very forthright about the possibilities, and about how carrying multiples is harder on your body.
2013 - 2015
Dr. Slater is very knowledgable, she herself went through IVF to better understand it and to relate better to her patience. However, sometimes my spouse and I would leave confused due the amount of information thrown at us.... My husband has low sperm count and mobility giving us a less than 1% chance of conceiving on our own. We could have done IUI's but again the percentage was to low to even consider. We were recommended to do IVF with ICSI giving us, If i recall correctly a 30% chance of conceiving.
2013 - 2015
To ask any and every questions you have. Make sure you leave feeling understood and that you understand all that you're about to endure.
Dr. Slater and her staff were always kind, relatable, and compassionate through my entire journey.
My husband has low sperm count and mobility giving us a less than 1% chance of conceiving on our own. We could have done IUI's but again the percentage was to low to even consider. We were recommended to do IVF with ICSI giving us, If i recall correctly a 30% chance of conceiving. My husband and I choose to go that last route. Everything went smoothly, they retrieved 27 eggs (which resulted in me getting OHSS), 20 were mature enough, 11 fertilized, 7 continued to grow, but in the end only two made it an continued to mature to the extent needed. However, those two embryos were placed and it resulted in a singleton pregnancy. A few years later when we went back to start IVF over again, Dr. Slater had a new plan for us in hopes to achieve better egg quality and to make sure I wouldn't get OHSS again. We never went through with a second IVF cycle due to an unexplained pregnancy.
Very helpful, cheerful, and educated. I always walked away feeling like my case was the only case they had to deal with that day.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I was very pleased with my clinic and felt that they all worked extremely well together to create a great atmosphere. I felt confident placing my future into their hands and they were always quick to return any phone calls I made with questions. I also only had one bad experience where I didn't feel validated in what I was feeling. That being, when we lost the rest of our embryos vs. the two placed inside of me. Even though it resulted in a singleton pregnancy at the time I felt discouraged that we lost everything else and would have to start again for a sibling. This staff member told me that I got what I wanted which was a pregnancy. Which is true, but I also needed time to mourn what I lost as well.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
I honestly don't recall how they set up my monitoring appointments. But I do remember getting in and out at a timely manner so I could get back to work.
Our cost with ICSI was right under $15,000 including medication that we needed.
I don't recall her exact reasoning but I remember feeling confident in her reasoning at the time with doing two embryos for my transfer.
2012 - 2013
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
She [Dr. Cristin Slater] won’t get emotional on you. She’s very kind yet very matter of fact. Her confidence is encouraging & she makes you feel like she genuinely wants to help you accomplish your dreams!... We were mainly dealing with me having very resistant ovaries that never wanted to ovulate. I have PCOS & we were trying to conceive for 4 years. I was put on several cycles of metformin, clomid, injections of FSH, & a total of 6 rounds of IUI’s over the span of 4 years.
2012 - 2013
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
We felt like she was very professional in how she spoke to us about our diagnoses. She drew diagrams for ya and tried to help us understand more thouroughly what was going on with us. She was compassionate in the sense that she felt bad that we had to be in this situation but was confident in her ability and skill to be able to help us out.
She won’t get emotional on you. She’s very kind yet very matter of fact. Her confidence is encouraging & she makes you feel like she genuinely wants to help you accomplish your dreams!
She was very professional but also sensitive to our situation. It gave us confidence that she would do her best to help us accomplish our goal of starting our family!
All of the nursing staff was very kind and extremely hopeful for us! They always made us feel so good. Some even felt like family after a while of going in for treatments.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic was very nice and an inviting atmosphere. The one thing i didn’t love was if you are needing a Sperm retrieval the bathroom that our husbands are to use was right by the front waiting room. We opted to collect at home but also that conversation was had at the front desk which i would have preferred it to be a little more private. But other than that the clinic was great.
Each cycle round of IUI’s cost us around $1000-$1200 depending on how many ultra sounds we had and how much drugs i needed.
2010 - 2012
She [Dr. Slater] didn't have anything different for me to try after 8 failed IUIs. She just wanted to increase the same meds and keep doing the same thing over and over, which obviously wasn't working because I wasn't responding to them and wasn't getting pregnant. I was in my early 30s and in perfect health, and I ovulated like clockwork on my own... It didn't feel very personalized and they quickly ran out of new things for me to try. The only new idea they had was increasing the meds, to which I wasn't reponding well.
2010 - 2012
She didn't have anything different for me to try after 8 failed IUIs. She just wanted to increase the same meds and keep doing the same thing over and over, which obviously wasn't working because I wasn't responding to them and wasn't getting pregnant. I was in my early 30s and in perfect health, and I ovulated like clockwork on my own.
I know Idaho options are very limited. Consider traveling for treatment, or if you must stay local, be prepared to educate yourself and know what to ask for when the standard menu of options doesn't work for you.
They definitely had a process. Try A, if that doesn't work, try B. Then try C. If that doesn't work, schedule a consultation. Repeat. It didn't feel very personalized and they quickly ran out of new things for me to try. The only new idea they had was increasing the meds, to which I wasn't reponding well.
Typical Clomid, trigger shot, IUI, progesterone, blood test. She added an injectable for a few cycles but it was very expensive and I never produced more than 2 follicles on it.
They were hard to get ahold of by phone if you missed a call. That said, they were very understanding and sweet when delivering bad news after bad news.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
A nice clinic. Met expectations in terms of cleanliness and comfort. I got the feeling they were professionals who knew what they were doing. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Around $500 per cycle.
2013 - 2018
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Slater always took time to explain to me what was happening with our treatments. She was clear on our chances of conceiving via IUI and then using a surrogate. We met in person, spoke on the phone, and corresponded via email.... The one negative is that she speaks really really quickly, but I found that to be good: not a lot of time wasted.... At every step, I felt like she wanted to help us, like the specific us, have a baby.
2013 - 2018
2 IUI, 3 IVF, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr. Slater was realistic with our possibilities and chances of having a "take home" baby. At every step, I felt like she wanted to help us, like the specific us, have a baby. The one negative is that she speaks really really quickly, but I found that to be good: not a lot of time wasted.
I recommend her if in Idaho. It's worth travelling to Boise if you aren't from that area.
Dr. Slater always took time to explain to me what was happening with our treatments. She was clear on our chances of conceiving via IUI and then using a surrogate. We met in person, spoke on the phone, and corresponded via email. The support staff at the ICRM was wonderful, too; it seemed like they all worked with Slater as a team.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kara Hill, Natalie Levin)
OMG, so helpful and nice. Like super normal people who remembered you EVERY visit.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Their physical location changed recently. Their old place on Main Street was a renovated house? It was a bit quirky. I hear their new place is lovely and big. Phone calls might not get returned until later in the evening, so if you call in the morning, in a panic with blood in your panties at 6 weeks along, you might not hear from anyone right away.
Pharmacy $6,643.62 Anesthesia $500.00 Retrieval Process $9,797.50
Slater was supportive of our decision to transfer a single embryo, rather than two. It's healthier for the fetus and for the carrier. We both understood that.
Boise
Dr. Slater is kind and nice and wants the best for each person or couple that she sees. Dr. Slater gave us the different scenarios with using IUI and now we recently met discussing IVF...Dr. Slater has updated up on how the procedure works...My spouse was placed on hormones to increase the follicle size and also did injections for three rounds. The first round, too many follicles were produced so Dr. Slater sucked out one.
Dr. Slater is kind and nice and wants the best for each person or couple that she sees. Dr. Slater gave us the different scenarios with using IUI and now we recently met discussing IVF. It's been an interesting journey. Dr. Slater has updated up on how the procedure works.
One piece advice for anyone, would be to be knowledgeable and what you are getting into. Educate yourself so you can ask questions.
We saw Slater's nurse more than the doctor but it appears that's what happens in the medical field.
They are doing the best they can do. Nurse Jen showed a lot of compassion and hope.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The people working there, seem nice. Communication is lacking a bit. However, they are the only clinic in the area and are super busy. It's important to be educated before even going to the clinic so you can have a clearer understanding of what they are saying.
Its been spendy but it's all perspective, too.
Boise
Dr. slater is very knowledgeable and made us feel very confident about IVF and comfortable with her and her staff. With special circumstances, the clinic has worked well with us, and that has been greatly appreciated. The communication between Dr. Slater, her staff, and ourselves has been very professional. We feel very blessed to have found Dr. Slater, and we are excited to go ahead with our IVF treatment.
She is very straight to the point.
I felt like Dr. slater cared for us and our situation. I believe her professionalism and high patient demand at her clinic has her work quickly with patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kara )
Kara has been very helpful and is a great communicator by keeping us well informed.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic staff is very friendly and professional. We felt welcome and comfortable the moment we walked through the door. The clinic is clean and has a comfortable feeling. The positive energy from staff members make the visits more enjoyable and the process less stressful.
15,000-20,000 dollars per cycle including medication
Endometriosis, Male Factor
We only met Cristin during the first appointment. Basically I felt like she really wanted us to do IVF. We decided that we want to do 2 IUI beforeIVF. She explained things very thoroughly. Her assistant did take a day and a half to call me back. The nurse that did the IUI was amazing.... We did IUI with letrozole and 375u of gonal f. Thinking for the second iui it will be the same protocol.... I don’t feel like all the pre stuff before the iui was not fully explained. We were suppose to be abstenant from CD 7 onward, no one told me and said it was listed in the paperwork
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Take a lot of questions when you meet with her
I called to start my cycle and they took until the next day to call me back
They are all very nice.
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is new. They seem kind of disorganized but are able to meet the needs of the treasure valley. The very first appointment back in June of 2016 my husband did not care for Dr Moss but we were okay with DrSlater
Medication costs were about $300 out of pocket, my insurance did cover the letrozole. The procedure with the wash was about $600
Na
3 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
She [Dr. Cristin Slater] is great. Smart, thorough and kind. She was very blunt at first but is willing to answer questions, consider the patient’s wishes and financial limitations in treatment decisions. .... First retrieval gonal f, certitude, menopur. 2nd and 3rd retrieval added clomid. First transfer estrodiol progesterone injection Lovenox. Second transfer Lupron and same as aboive. Both postponed due to cysts and estradiol levels too high
3 Embryo Freezing, IVF
She’s great. Smart, thorough and kind. She was very blunt at first but is willing to answer questions, consider the patient’s wishes and financial limitations in treatment decisions. I don’t have time to say more!
Ask questions!
The staff cares and wants us to succeed. Hugs and tears when bad news is given
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kara and Zabrina)
All caring, easy to talk to, supportive
Describe your experience with Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine.
Very busy. Ask lots of questions and schedule early. Billing was difficult but mostly because of our insurance. Would ha e liked to see the doctor more to discuss her treatment decisions and reasoning. Ie they weren’t going to use a Med because it was expensive but our insurance paid for it and I may have had worse chances if I didn’t ask why
I don’t know the details
Boise
[Dr. Slater] Very detailed and straightforward. Responsive to questions. Works well with her team. Blunt when she needs to be and delicate when it's called for. Told us about the process and was up front on the results....Talked with us all the way....After the retrieval, my hormones were too high so I had to wait and do a frozen transfer instead...[Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine] Nice location. Welcoming. Friendly staff. Patient with such a challenging field....
Make sure to have a good support system as well as finances in place.
Talked with us all the way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Idaho Center for Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Kara and zabrina)
Talked us through the procedures. Was very nice. Flexible with schedules. Helped us find deals.
$8000
Based on my advanced maternal age. Multiple embryos were encouraged.