Weill Cornell Medical College

Nurse available by direct lineNot available by cell phone
Medical SchoolWayne State
Garden City, NY 11530
1305 York Avenue
Upper West Side
2315 Broadway
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Dan Goldschlag to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Weill Cornell Medical College to a friend?
Dr. Goldschlag recommended to transfer one embryo if it made it to Day 5 and two embryos if we made it to Day 3 and given my age at the time... is personable when you he sees you in person and is very patient. He is good about answering questions and taking his time with you. I have trusted him with our treatment and he has been compassionate about our set backs...you won’t see Dr. Goldschlag unless you personally ask for him
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag is personable when you he sees you in person and is very patient. He is good about answering questions and taking his time with you. I have trusted him with our treatment and he has been compassionate about our set backs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Understand that it is a big clinic and that you won’t see Dr. Goldschlag unless you personally ask for him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
It is a large clinic and on days for monitoring you feel like a number. On days when I see Dr. Goldschlag I feel more like a human.
Describe the protocols Dan Goldschlag used in your cycles at Weill Cornell Medical College and their degree of success.
After we were evaluated and I had done a hysteroscopy to remove a small polyp; Dr. Goldschlag advises we could start with IUI or IVF. We decided to do a medicated IUI which all resulted in negative results. We then moved forward with our first IVF in April 2018. We were excited when it resulted in a pregnancy but then it resulted in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. Dr. Goldschlag gave me the option of miscarrying naturally and we proceeded with a second IVF cycle in September 2018 that resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
When we first started with the clinic the main nurse we were dealing with as part of Dr. Goldschlag’s team was not the nicest and easily frustrated. I don’t believe she is currently at the clinic and since that time the nurses have been friendly and willing to answer questions and work with us.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinics strengths is that they are organized considering the amount of patients. The weaknesses are that it can feel impersonal at times and if you are feeling sensitive about it which many people do feel about this process; this may not be the best place for you.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Weill Cornell Medical College.
The wait time wasn’t exaggerated but it is a different doctor each time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College.
My co-pay and extraneous costs not covered by insurance.
Describe Dan Goldschlag's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Upper East Side
He [Dr. Goldschlag] always said that he would be willing to do anything I wanted, but he wanted me to listen to his opinion on the matter before making decisions...When we had a cycle fail with no viable embryos, Dr. Goldschlag called me several days in a row, sometimes multiple times a day to update me on the situation and make sure I was ok. We spent over an hour talking about the results and what we were going to proceed with and he did not hang up the phone until he knew I was ok, and we had scheduled an appointment to meet and go over everything, despite it being a holiday weekend.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag is very patient, always asks me how I am doing, how I am feeling - he knows after our three year journey how my emotions can get the best of me and he always asks how things are at home. He talks to me in a way that I understand what is going on, but also that shows he respects my intelligence as a health care professional. Dr. Goldschlag also has a way of lightening the mood without coming off as uncaring or harsh. He jokes with me about my reliance on Dr. Google, and he always is up to date on all the studies and new tests I bring up and what is good about the studies or what was lacking in them and why he does or does not buy into the findings. I like that he is constantly researching and learning and not just doing the same thing over and over. No two of my protocols have ever been the same (until this current cycle bc the last cycle we did I got pregnant with my daughter and we are hoping to recreate that!!), he is always taking my latest hormone levels into account and tweaking everything so I react to the meds the best way possible. Also, he always gives my husband and I a few minutes after a monitoring appointment in the room to ask questions and talk about what is going on in order to make sure that we are comfortable with everything. It can be very hard to reach anyone in the office, and almost impossible to reach him on the phone, so I like that he gives us that time. Another thing he has started doing (I am not sure if this is for everyone, but my IVF cycles were not like this), is scheduling monitoring appointments with him specifically, so I am on his schedule and know when I am going to be seeing him so that I do not have to wait as long, and there is a continuity of care, as opposed to seeing which ever MD is on call that day for ultrasounds, and then it taking several days before I see him again and can get my questions answered. Dr. Goldschlag is also EXCELLENT when the cycle fails. We have had multiple cycles fail - very, very difficulty failures - and the way he handled it, my emotions, my husband's emotions, he was very straight forward and honest with us about our bleak situation and what the next steps were. I appreciated the honesty and when he was not being straightforward with me at one point I called him out on it and from then on he gave it to me like it was. I feel for myself and my husband, it is better for us to know the truth from the outset than for us to be under the assumption that we are going to have this amazing experience. Overall he was very willing to work with us and ultimately he was able to help us get to our goal and give us our beautiful daughter.
Give him a chance to get to know you before you assume he is too quiet or hands off. Once I got to know him a little better and we were all able to relax around each other, it got much easier.
Dr. Goldschalg and I get along very well. He has a very calming presence and helps bring me down off my crazy (sometimes hormone induced) tantrums about why it is not fair that I was not getting pregnant. He was very patient with me, always answered all my questions, talked to me about all the options and why something would be a good/bad/or ok idea for treatment. He always said that he would be willing to do anything I wanted, but he wanted me to listen to his opinion on the matter before making decisions. He knows that I am a healthcare professional and brings it up regularly, in explanation for decisions and for why he is explaining things to me in a scientific way. He talks to me in a way that I feel I understand what we are talking about, but that he respects my intelligence and research on our diagnosis. When we had a cycle fail with no viable embryos, Dr. Goldschlag called me several days in a row, sometimes multiple times a day to update me on the situation and make sure I was ok. We spent over an hour talking about the results and what we were going to proceed with and he did not hang up the phone until he knew I was ok, and we had scheduled an appointment to meet and go over everything, despite it being a holiday weekend. I know a lot of people who have cycled with Dr. Goldschlag sometimes are not pleased with their experience because they feel like a number, but I think that is more due to the size of the clinic. Cornell has hundreds of patients cycling through on a regular basis and if you do not stand up for yourself and advocate for your care, you may get lost, but if you are able to do that, you will get excellent care at a top rated clinic.
As an Orthodox Jew, Cornell has a specific protocol they use to help push off the egg retrieval until a little farther on in the cycle (called the Mikva Protocol), to help shorten the period and keep any spotting at bay. Started with estrogen patches for a few days, then added a Ganirelix shot for three days, then started Menopure and GonalF, then added the Ganirelix back in, then triggered with HCG. My dosages were incredibly low bc of my VERY high AMH levels. First cycle was extended (I dont think the dosages were high enough and I was injecting them incorrectly so I wasnt getting the full dose). Second cycle was the same overall, but higher dosages and I had better quality eggs (more mature) than the first cycle. (Cycle failed due to Male factor component) First IUI with clomid - did not respond well to Clomid, poor follicle and lining Second IUI with Letrazol - started with 5mg a day for 5 days, three days off, then bumped up to 7.5 mg a day for 5 days. Went in and had 2 beautiful 24mm follicles (one on each ovary) and lining was almost 9mm. Triggered with 10kHCG and IUI the following day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Jamie, Allison, Cheryl, Tamara)
Jamie - Only had her the first cycle. She called me the first day and the last to let me know it failed but other than that I always talked with Allison. She gave me the wrong info which had to get changed and was thankfully caught before I gave myself the wrong meds. Was weird hearing from her that my cycle failed when I literally had nothing to do with her. She was no longer with Dr. Goldschlag when I came back six months later for my next cycle. Allison - Was there from my first cycle (she caught Jamie's mess up) all the way until my successful pregnancy. She often seemed overwhelmed, probably because of Dr. Goldschlag's caseload and how many phone calls she had to make. She always returned phone calls, and gave clear instructions. She was also a lot more down to earth than some of the other nurses I came across there, which was nice. She also was SOO happy when she got to call me with my positive pregnancy test after our fourth cycle, we were both crying on the phone together, because she had been with me through it from the beginning. Cheryl and Tamara - Dr. Goldschlag's nursing team this time is a little more haphazard, but they call me back and they seem to have things together. I dont have a real feel for them yet because I just returned to the clinic in the past month, but so far nothing bad to say.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic is HUGE. If you are not ready for that, either find someplace new, or prepare yourself to advocate. If you are in their face and vocal you will have a better experience because they will know who you are. That being said this clinic also specializes in taking cases that no one else will touch. They are not as concerned with their success rates and only taking patients who will improve their rates, rather they are willing to give almost anyone a shot and they will adapt their protocols to meet patient's needs. One thing I like is that they have team meetings and come up with protocols as a team, not individual doctors making decisions on their own. This is comforting because you know that they are checking each others work. Something else that could be a little discomforting for patients is that because there are so many patients and the clinic is part of the hospital, not everything takes place in the clinic. Somethings take place in the radiology dept and then the lab, egg retrievals, and transfers happen in a surgical center in the hospital (I liked this because it was just IVF procedures happening there so no one else was walking in and out and you knew the nurses and front desk people did this all day every day). Also, the Andrology lab is on a different floor so you have to take the elevator and walk around with the sperm sample in a paper bag from when they give it to you to when you give it back to the nurse and have the IUI done (a little weird for people who know what is in the tube and see you walking around with it).
What I do now is schedule an actual appointment, show up then and get seen within 15 minutes of that appointment. At the same time and what I used to do was show up anywhere from 6:30 to 9 am and sign in and wait in the waiting room to first get called for bloodwork and then ultrasound. The MD you see for the scan can be any of the doctors in the practice. Their system is automated, so there is a computer system that tells the tech who the next patient they are taking for blood or ultrasound is and what room to put them in. This keeps things moving assuming patients are not missing in the bathroom or grabbing coffee outside at the cart on the sidewalk. Sometimes there can be close to 100 patients waiting to be seen though, which can make the wait take several hours.
My IVF was covered by insurance but the cost at the time was approximately $12000 for IVF with ICSI (we also did Micro-TESE in conjunction which was $15k out of pocket) My IUI is also under insurance so I am not aware of the costs.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag is very mild mannered, soft spoken, and always asks how I'm doing. I am 40, and have been trying to conceive for 1 year. He did not jump to ivf, he first made sure my body is in the best condition it can be to to conceive before proceeding with further fertility treatment. Since I have hypothyroid, he had to make sure it is at optimal level. He has also surgical removed a polyp in my uterus, which has been blocking egg implantation. It is something my regular obgyn failed to inform me about. I have now done 1 round of IUI, but has failed. I will continue 2 more rounds of IUI before moving onto to IVF. He does seem to have a full schedule so appointments can be quick. I sometimes have to rely on his assistant to explain the next steps.
Don't wait! I waited a bit to go to a fertility doctor because I did not want to be pressured into ivf. But, that was not my experience at all with Dr. Goldschlag. I wish I had seen him sooner so I can understand what is going on with my body. My only other advice is to ask a lot of questions. He gives a good explanation of your fertility plan, but the steps you need to take such as when to get blood work, when to take the drugs, and etc.. sometimes needs to be clarified.
Dr. Goldschlag always asks how I'm doing and gives thorough explanations of treatment and option. I always feel like he is doing what is in my best interest. He has never pushed ivf treatment like some other doctors might do because that is where the money is.
His treatment made sure my body is in the best condition it can be to to conceive before proceeding with further fertility treatment. Since I have hypothyroid, he had to make sure it is at optimal level. He has also surgical removed a polyp in my uterus, which has been blocking egg implantation. I have now done 1 round of IUI, but has failed. I will continue 2 more rounds of IUI before moving onto to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Ara Cho)
She has been very organized and thorough. She was able to communicate with my insurance so I had a clear understanding of what part of the treatment is covered, and what I should expect to pay for. There was no surprise bills. She has also been helpful in letting me know what is the next step in procedure such as when to get blood work, when to take meds, etc.. The only negative I can say, is it can be difficult to speak with them on the phone. There is some phone tag. It would be much easier if they can communicate via email.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The people are very compassionate and friendly. I feel everyone there is competent at their job. I am always able to get an appointment when I need it. The fertility process is very time sensitive, so I really appreciated the coordinators making sure I get the correct meds at the correct timing. The only weakness, is it can be difficult to get someone on the phone if you have a question. I usually have to leave a voice mail, and then they call me back a few hours later. It would be much easier if they communicate via email, since I can not always get to my phone if it is a busy work day.
The costs you are responsible for really depend on your insurance. I had to cover cost of sperm washing for IUI, which was $375. Other then that it was just co-pays. The coordinator was very helpful in informing me what is covered. And, if it is not covered giving me alternatives labs to use for some tests that are not covered.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag is a very kind doctor. He is very quiet when he talks. That quietness and calmness definitely puts you at ease a bit, but with all of the machines running, it can be difficult to hear him at times. He doesn't explain much or provide you with much information other than, "You'll hear from a nurse later with instructions." If you have questions, he will answer them and give you the time you deserve, but sometimes on the spot it can be overwhelming and you're not necessarily sure what your questions are. I wish he was more thorough when in the room, so that questions didn't arise when you left because getting in contact with a nurse, or him, is difficult. You always get a machine.
Come prepared with questions to avoid playing phone tag. Also, have patience because you will never get a live person on the phone. You have to leave a message and receive a call back. If answering the phone at your job is difficult, this can feel very stressful.
Dr. Goldschlag is a very kind doctor and will answer any questions, but you have to ask the questions or your time with him is limited and not filled with much information. At each appointment he scrolls through your files quickly, before speaking to you. It made me feel like he wasn't very familiar with my case. It would have made me feel more comfortable if he did that before entering the room or at least explained what he was looking at and why to make me feel more at ease.
My cycle hasn't started yet, but I have been prescribed: estrogen patches for before my period to suppress my ovaries Gonal menopur HCG Leuprolide z pack Cetrotide
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Loraine )
There is one nurse who is not very compassionate and extremely rude on the phone. She talks quickly and becomes irritated if you ask questions for clarification. She acts as if you should know and understand everything she is spitting at you. My first interaction with her was very unpleasant and I hung up crying. I left a message for a call back, because you never get a live person, and she never called me back, which was extremely stressful with the time sensitive nature. I then had to wait another month, which was fine because she stressed me out so much, I felt completely overwhelmed and needed to take some time to process everything. Every interaction with her has been unpleasant and I have felt dismissed. I explained to her that I needed a specific pharmacy for my insurance to cover the medications and she claimed, "We never had that conversation." My prescription was called in to the specific pharmacy, after being called into a different one, so obviously we had a conversation about it. She was very curt on the phone, which makes a stressful time even more stressful. She was also very rude with me when I asked if my file mentioned to try and call after 3:00pm, because I'm a teacher. She made it clear that that's not always going to be possible. I said I understood that, I just wanted to know if it was in my file because I had asked the doctor's assistant to make a note of it. She is so quick to talk over you and doesn't hear what you're asking. She has taken an already stressful time in a woman's life and made it much more stressful, which is terrible. Just because she deals with this everyday and it is easy for her, she needs to understand that this is overwhelming and patients have questions. It was a very upsetting experience. That being said, Dr. Goldschlag's assistant, Shanise, is lovely and has gone above and beyond to make sure my questions get answered and that I feel comfortable with the process. I mentioned my interaction with the nurse and how upsetting it was to feel invisible and dismissed and she really stepped up and has helped with the process. She told me that I should always contact her directly and she will get my questions to the right place and get back to me with the necessary information. After our conversation I even got a call from the doctor, which I didn't even ask for. It remains stressful that no one answers the phones and you need to leave a message, but Shanise will get back to you within 2 hours.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic moves quickly. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good if you need to get to work, but bad if you don't want to feel like a number. Always be prepared with your questions or you will be rushed out the door.
Should be around $10,000
Upper East Side
Dr. Goldschlag himself is extremely nice and sympathetic to the challenges one faces during this time. Although he is not particularly mushy or compassionate, he does come across as very very understanding and positive. ..The only negative is that he isn't overly friendly with his patients. Your relationship with him is strictly about your goal, with minimal small talk. He shows his sympathy as best he could and you can tell he is trying but he would not be described as a warm doctor.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He is so positive that it really causes you to become just as positive as well. Its not "if you get pregnant", he says "when you get pregnant". He is very calm and very honest. You can really tell and feel that he wants to hear what is on your mind and how you are coping. He takes the time to explain every thing about the process to you and calls back his patients. No matter how big the matter, he wants you to feel that you can reach out to him no matter what. The only negative is that he isn't overly friendly with his patients. Your relationship with him is strictly about your goal, with minimal small talk. He shows his sympathy as best he could and you can tell he is trying but he would not be described as a warm doctor.
Be prepared for the atmosphere of the office. You feel like a number in a fast paced factory and that s just the way its gonna be.
Dr. Goldschlag himself is extremely nice and sympathetic to the challenges one faces during this time. Although he is not particularly mushy or compassionate, he does come across as very very understanding and positive. My husband and i found his positive energy to be quite infectious. Even when he had to break bad news, i felt that he was holding my hand through it and validating my emotions. However- the overall feel of the Cornell Reproductive office is very much like a factory, causing you to feel like a number. Although the nurses are nice, sometimes they seem like robots and i felt like i was bothering them whenever i had a question. It often feels like you are just a box they are checking off their list. Dr Goldschlag makes you feel more human, but for the rest of it you tend to feel like a number.
I was put on the estrogen patch to help my ovulation window be extended during the diagnostic tests and processes. There hasn't been much other treatment involved as we quickly learned my husband has male infertility and the only option for us would be IVF which isa journey we have not yet embarked on.
I have a hard time with them. I always feel like i am bothering them, and when they call me with results or instructions I'm just another thing on their list to cross off. I wish I was given one person to reach out to from the very beginning (not just for those who are on IVF...anyone going through this needs help not just IVF patients) who would make me feel comfortable and free to ask any questions to.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
It is a very well run place, where you truly feel like you are in the right place to accomplish your goals. The atmosphere can be off-putting at times, and the nurses may not be exactly how you want them to be, but at the end of the day it is a place where I feel my dreams are possible despite our fertility challenges.
It is very expensive and insurances usually do not cover fertility associated treatments
Upper East Side
He [Dr. Dan Goldschlag] addressed what we needed to do to get pregnant which is exactly what I wanted to hear. He knew what would be the best course and i trusted him immensely. We chose the path set out for us and i could not be happier. I plan to return to Dr. For our two frozen embryos that made it to blastocyst...He is wonderful and truly tries to help you achieve your goal of pregnancy.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He addressed what we needed to do to get pregnant which is exactly what I wanted to hear. He knew what would be the best course and i trusted him immensely. We chose the path set out for us and i could not be happier. I plan to return to Dr. For our two frozen embryos that made it to blastocyst.
You have to be your own best advocate. Doctors have a lot of patients, i put myself in charge and made sure everything happening i was comfortable with. He is wonderful and truly tries to help you achieve your goal of pregnancy.
He understood this was my first Ivf cycle and really tried to explain things as clearly as possible. One day I had a breakdown and he took time to really address my worries and stress.
I have DOR (mild) and my husband and a motility issue. We chose to do IVF given I am 31 and wanted to ensure we could have more children. The dr. Told us our best chances were Ivf with ICSI which is what we we did.
Nice, pleasant. Promptly called. But again have to be your own advocate.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic handles a large amount of people. I think they do a good job of trying to get everyone in ASAP but of course there are delays and hiccups. Overall i am very happy with my experience. I think the biggest thing to take away is making sure you are ready to manage and handle a lot of questions and express any concerns.
I felt like it was a well oiled machine, I chose to go early and never really had to wait more that 15-20min at the most.
I paid out of pocket for medication with my insurance coverage and the Ivf was covered. I did have some additional fees associated that had to be paid.
I
2014 - 2017
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
While Dr. Goldschlag is clearly a caring and dedicated doctor and his practice coordinator Shanise is his biggest asset, no single doctor or doctor/patient coordinator duo can make up for the extreme institutional disorganization that plagues Weill Cornell/CRM...I also would have liked more information along the way without a lot of prodding/questioning, he's largely a man of few words. My biggest disappointment/frustration was a lack of communication which I suspect was due to balancing a large practice, both when there was good news (surprise natural pregnancy) followed by the need to request a call when there was bad news (chemical pregnancy), which ultimately was the impetus for me leaving Weill Cornell/CRM.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag is a caring, compassionate doctor though I ultimately found him overly optimistic in my particular case. I also would have liked more information along the way without a lot of prodding/questioning, he's largely a man of few words. My biggest disappointment/frustration was a lack of communication which I suspect was due to balancing a large practice, both when there was good news (surprise natural pregnancy) followed by the need to request a call when there was bad news (chemical pregnancy), which ultimately was the impetus for me leaving Weill Cornell/CRM.
Be prepared to advocate for yourself and do a tremendous amount of independent research and legwork when it comes to all things related to your cycle including prior authorization, insurance coverage, billing and medications.
While Dr. Goldschlag is clearly a caring and dedicated doctor and his practice coordinator Shanise is his biggest asset, no single doctor or doctor/patient coordinator duo can make up for the extreme institutional disorganization that plagues Weill Cornell/CRM. The prior authorization process is basically an exercise in begging to get things done and a lack of education/support from the billing team resulted in a medication debacle that set us back several thousands of dollars.
Follistim/Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelex + hCG trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Goldschlag's biggest asset is his practice coordinator Shanise. She's a true gem. One of his nurses is particularly compassionate and consistently helpful, the others are robots who are condescending and act like they're doing you a favor by returning your call or sharing updates.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Weill Cornell/CRM has the power of research and cross-collaboration with other departments over time under their belt. Patients benefit from that, maybe even without knowing it. Their biggest weakness is size, a lack of personalized care, disorganization and certain staffers who bring down the efficacy of the overall operation, either with their own inefficiency or simply a bad attitude.
$10,500 IVF base price + cost of medications ($10k, in my case)
2012 - 2017
Anovulation, Unexplained
2012 - 2017
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
I stuck with Dr. Goldschlag through 6 IUIs and 5 IVFs over the course of the past 4 years because I genuinely believe in and trust him. He is kind, compassionate and understanding of the setbacks that go along with this process. When I miscarried in the office, he was there to hold my hand, reassure me and just be a support system...sitting in the room with me for a good hour to personally handle my case and make sure I was OK/had someone who could come to get me. He is also a bit more cautious, which I personally preferred...slow, steady and ultimately successful. I was blessed to deliver my daughter in 2013 and am now pregnant with #2 - to which I owe Dr. G all the credit in the world. The one red flag for me was the fact that neither he nor his nursing staff ever identified my weight as an obstacle. My weight, at one point, dropped dangerously low and was never once flagged as an issue/nor was it ever mentioned that I should be seeking help before continuing to cycle. WARRIOR REVIEW
Be prepared that you will not see Dr. G at every monitoring appointment. BUT, you can always schedule time with him. Also, Dr. G takes a more cautious approach to treatment and protocols. If you are looking for an innovator or someone very aggressive, he may not be the right doctor for you. WARRIOR REVIEW
Cornell's practice as a whole is more like a factory. You sit in a packed waiting room every day with countless other women, see a rotation of nurses and fellows and don;t really build warm relationships with staff. The transfer/retrieval process is even worse - sitting for hours in a small waiting room wearing nothing but a robe, watching other women go in and out of the operating room, etc. It is not a warm and fuzzy place. Dr. G himself, on the other hand, is very warm and caring. He called me personally both times I miscarried, had an open door policy, and always remembered small tidbits I had shared. I think he is a wonderful doctor - his personality doesn't jive with the setting. WARRIOR REVIEW
My protocols remained fairly similar each time, as I was responding well to meds. For all IUIs, I was on either menopur or follistim - > 5th IUI resulted in a successful pregnancy.
I found the nursing staff at Cornell to be hit or miss. Some of the nurses are super on top of things, promptly return phone calls, and are great at building a a semblance of a relationship. Others have been awful, providing incorrect instructions, taking forever to call back, seeming very overworked and stressed. The nurses also rotate so frequently that it is hard to build real, caring relationships. And, it is extremely frustrating that you can NEVER reach anyone directly. WARRIOR REVIEW
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell is like a factory - but they are highly successful. You must be super prepared to be a self advocate and follow up on EVERYTHING - from billing, to questions for nurses, to staying on top of your protocol and meds. The environment leaves much to be desired, with the awkwardness of the waiting rooms [in clinic and in hospital], lack of anonymity, lack of any type of patent coordinator. i stuck with the practice only because I loved my doctor. WARRIOR REVIEW
I was fortunate to have a good deal of insurance coverage.
Because of my size and my weight, Dr. G strongly encouraged the transfer of single embryos only. He was concerned about potential risks of a pregnancy with multiples [as was I!]
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
If you like a very kind and warm doctor, I would not recommend Dr. Goldschlag. He is very polite and will explain everything fully, however, he does not engage in extensive conversation. I really appreciate that he answers every question thoroughly but gets to the point quickly, without small talk.
I would tell a prospective patient to be very clear with Dr. Goldschlag about your expectations and how soon or quickly you would like to proceed with specific treatments. He is very understanding and will move things along very quickly if that is what you prefer. He was very thorough in explaining all of my options and what the approximate timeline would be for every option. In my case, I was very clear that I wanted to move quickly and he immediately outlined my options based on my goals and expectations.
Dr Goldschlag is polite but it can sometimes feel a bit rushed when speaking with him. However, I do not mind, I like a doctor that is knowledgable and gets to the point quickly. However, the clinic and the process for making appointments and getting in touch with the doctor's staff can make you feel like a number. It is impossible to communicate via email or to speak to someone the first time you call, you must always leave a message and they will return your call. Also, the doctor's hours are very inconvenient. I understand that this is a process that is time consuming, however, I wish appointment times were more convenient and the office was more accommodating for working professionals.
After trying to conceive for 1.5 years, by husband and I decide to see Dr. Goldschlag. After he first consultation and follow-up, Dr. Goldschlag determined that my ovulation was not occurring regularly. He asked me to come in for an ultrasound and determined that I had not yet ovulated. Based on the size of my follicles he gave us an approximate time frame for when ovulation might occur and we should try to conceive naturally. We did just that and we were successful. However, just a few weeks later I miscarried. We now know that we can conceive naturally. However, du to my irregular cycles, my husband and I would like to conceive again asap. Therefore, Dr. Goldschlag recommended that once my next cycle begins, our next step will be to start clomid and IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Shakira)
The nursing team is very diligent about communicating results and next steps.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The clinic feels like a very large, impersonal operation. However, it has a great reputation for results and the staff is polite. I really appreciate that monitoring hours start at 6:30 and although many people will be waiting by 6:40, the whole things runs very smoothly, you're in and out in no time.
The Dr's staff and the clinic were not initially clear on insurance process. They fail to tell you that the Dr may accept your insurance but the clinic may not. Fortunately, my insurance covered the Dr consultation and blood work and my husband's insurance covers everything else, including the clinic costs and procedures done through Cornell/NY Presbyterian. Make sure you ask if the Dr and the clinic accept your insurance.
Upper East Side
Dr. Goldschlag was very calm and collected during the whole process which is an nice trait to have...He would check in on my emotional state as well as my physical. He always returned phone calls within 24 hours if I asked to speak with him directly and he never made me feel rushed on the phone. He also understood that finances played a part in our decisions and helped us decide to not waste any more money on IUIs since we have no insurance coverage our money was better spent on IVF.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Dr. Goldschlag was very calm and collected during the whole process which is an nice trait to have since at time I was a basket case. He would check in on my emotional state as well as my physical. He always returned phone calls within 24 hours if I asked to speak with him directly and he never made me feel rushed on the phone. He also understood that finances played a part in our decisions and helped us decide to not waste any more money on IUIs since we have no insurance coverage our money was better spent on IVF. When I was having a hard time with the nurses he put me in touch with a head nurse to oversee my case which made me feel like he heard my complaint and really tried to fix the situation. Over great guy.
If you want to see him at daily monitoring then you can try to request him and if he's there he will see you. That helped me see him more often but he does travel through several offices so is not always in the upper east side office.
Dr. Goldschlag made me fee like a human but Cornell as a whole is a factory.
We started with injectables for IUI's since I was 36 when we started. Goldschlag suggested we not waste any time since my husband and I had been trying on our own for a year. I felt he took the time to really look for any causes -he saw a slightly misshapen uterus and then sent me for an MRI which helped to rule out some factors. We did 3 IUIs with injectables and then moved on to IVF at Goldschlag's recommendation. We did our egg retrieval and have transferred one bastocyst and are currently in the dreaded TWW.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Shanice Jackson and Shakhira)
Shanice the coordinator is somewhat cold in the beginning but I think it's party due to the sheer volume of patients she has to coordinate. I did not like the fact that I ALWAYS had to leave a voicemail and then was called back. I never got a live person. This was extremely frustrating for me. I would have preferred some form for email ability since these are personal calls and very difficult to take in a small work office setting. Half way through I was assigned a new nurse and had a terrible first experience with her. I told goldschlag about not and he addressed it with her and we worked through the problem.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
The strength is that they have great labs and great doctors. The negatives is that it is a total factory. If you are looking for a lot of hand holding through the process this is NOT the pace for you. If you have a supper system outside of the doctors and just want the best medical care then Cornell is great. The waiting room can be intimidating since it's often packed for morning mornitiring.
Monitoring was from 6:30-8:30am 7 days a week. The waits could be like 1/2 hour but I did notice that once I switched from IUI to IVF the did move me along faster in the morning. They are efficient and quick it's just very high volume of women.
They give a handout with th expenses. The initial IVF cycle is $10.5K but that's not including medication or anything in the holdouts. I think it was roughly 15K without medication.
While some doctors would have advoses me to transfer more than one he made sure I understood the potential risk of twins. My husband and I really did not want to increase the chances for twins so we decided to go with one embryo.
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I only saw Dr. Goldschlag a few times, but he was always easy to work with when I did get to see him....He had relatively good bedside manner. I just wish I was able to be in contact with him directly more often. He was best at our first consultation, but after that I only saw him a couple more times during monitoring...I am young and healthy, with no known fertility problems so I believe he gave me the lowest dose for injections.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Go into it knowing that it's a busy practice and you may have to be very clear about your needs in order to get them fulfilled.
It is a very busy office, and I usually got a nurse or other doctor. I only saw Dr. Goldschlag a few times, but he was always easy to work with when I did get to see him. You check in for monitoring with a swipe card which is cool. The office is run pretty efficiently but it can be a challenge to accommodate every little thing you need because they are so busy.
I don't recall his rationale. I am young and healthy, with no known fertility problems so I believe he gave me the lowest dose for injections. I had menopur, an HCG trigger shot, ganirelix and follistim. I would get a call almost daily from a nurse (throughout the cycle) to change dosage as needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
During monitoring appointments it was difficult to ask a nurse specific questions. I would have to wait in a separate room to the side until a nurse was available to answer my questions. Because things can be very time sensitive with treatment, it was still better to wait in person than to wait for a response on the phone.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Strengths: efficiency, cleanliness, reputation, knowledgable, very busy (a lot of experience and knowing you're in good hands) Weaknesses: very busy, not a lot of personalization/you feel more like a number, wait times for nurse advice in person, limited ability to contact the doctor directly
You can go anytime between the monitoring hours. The later you go, the more people are in line ahead of you, and the longer it takes to get out. If I went as early as possible it would be about 30 minutes. But I had to take a train an hour each way so they were very early mornings, and I still got to work late.
I do not recall.
He educated us about risks of twins. He preferred singleton for us.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
I only saw my doctor [Dr. Goldschlag] 2 times throughout my entire IVF cycle. I had no direct way of getting in touch with him. If I called the clinic it would take him several days to call me back. After my negative pregnancy test he didn't return my call for three days...I was overmedicated so of my 24 eggs none made it to day 5. Dr. Goldschlag was hard to get in touch with so I often felt very in the dark...Mostly poor communication with the doctor.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He is smart and Cornell is a good clinic with a good reputation. I personally had a very bad experience. I was overmedicated so of my 24 eggs none made it to day 5. Dr. Goldschlag was hard to get in touch with so I often felt very in the dark.
Know that Cornell is a bit of a factory so you need to be very assertive and proactive to have your needs met. Your main nurse is very important.
I only saw my doctor 2 times throughout my entire IVF cycle. I had no direct way of getting in touch with him. If I called the clinic it would take him several days to call me back. After my negative pregnancy test he didn't return my call for three days. I also specifically asked him to not put me with a certain nurse if I did IVF with him he agreed and then put me with that nurse and then said I had no choice. He should have told me that from the beginning
He first did an IUI with me because I didn't ovulate on my own. This resulted in an ectopic pregnancy. He then told me I had a 25% chance of having another ectopic pregnancy so I switched to IVF. After 1 cycle I switched clinics
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Allison)
I had a very bad experience with Dr. Goldschlag's primary nurse. When I had the ectopic pregnancy (my first ever pregnancy), I'd call and ask questions to which she'd respond "use your own judgement." This was very difficult as I was brand new to the fertility process. After my ectopic pregnancy I received methotrexate shots. I called and told her I was still cramping and bleeding a lot. I don't think she ever went back and told the doctor and I needed emergency surgery to remove my fallopian tube.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Cornell has a good reputation, factory-like but well oiled machine. It doesn't bother me if I go to a factory like clinic if my doctor has good communication
Get there early to avoid long waits
$15,000 for IVF- they did not take my insurance
None, Other
Dr. Goldshlag is cordial, knowledgeable, and thorough. He explains procedures clearly with plenty of detail. He offers options to patients that might need them. Dr. Goldshlag and his staff are constantly revising their practice to reflect newer technology, chemistry and more scientifically beneficial procedures for his current patients and for future ones.
None, Other
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Ask all the questions you want; Dr. Goldshlag and his staff are happy to help you with any and all concerns that you might have. Have a good PCP who is willing to help you on your IVF journey. Despite direct contact from my nurse team, I had some physicians that made it rather difficult to get medication on Dr. Goldshlag's recommendation. Also, make sure you understand the billing, and that you get a list of CPT codes and procedures in the event that your insurance needs all this information. It is sometimes difficult to argue with insurance without the jargon in hand.
After my first failed cycle I was upset. Upon the start of my current cycle, I got information as to why things did not work the first time (ectopic pregnancy), the percentages involved in the number of women that experience this, etc. As for my every day care, I had daily calls from the nurses following tests with individualized instructions. When I could not get in contact with the staff,I would leave a message, and my call was always returned.
Suggestions to begin a synthroid regimen helped regulate my TSH levels (important for the embryo). Estrogen patches helped regulate hormones during the menses before the cycle and after the transfer. Daily injections of Ganirelix and Menopur helped the eggs grow and multiply faster. HCG ccntrolled the release. All throughout this process regular sonograms and blood tests ensured that I my hormones and "levels" were at at a level optimal for success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Susan and Allison)
Nurses were cordial, personable, thorough, and called me back promptly if there I had any questions. There is always a nurse accessible either through the phone or at the office to address any concerns. They called after every visit to report on progress and instructions. However, I would have like more of an explanation of what to expect in terms of potential side effects from treatments and procedures.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
I had trouble with the billing, not on the part of the hospital, but my insurance. Please make sure to ask all the billing and finance questions you need, and take notes during the financial consultation. this is NOT a fault on the part of the clinic, but rather issues that came up with my insurance company. Ask for the names of procedures and CPT codes, etc. The more informed you are, the easier it is to get coverage later.
Monitoring appointments were rather efficient. I have never been in the office for more than 45 minutes, including appointment time, despite the occasional heavy crowd. No matter how high the volume of people is, the staff is always polite; as soon as they call your name, you are greeted with "How are you?" or "Nice to see you again."
Long Island
2012 - 2015
6 IUI, 4 IVF, Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Goldschlag is smart and reasonable, and unlike many (most??) of the other doctors at Cornell, he is extremely patient and compassionate. Not arrogant or rushed at all...He is often running late for consults. This is because he takes the appropriate amount of time with each patient (despite their scheduling protocol). It's worth it. Block out the time in your day.
2012 - 2015
6 IUI, 4 IVF, Egg Freezing, 2 Embryo Freezing
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
See him! He is often running late for consults. This is because he takes the appropriate amount of time with each patient (despite their scheduling protocol). It's worth it. Block out the time in your day.
Very compassionate and sympathetic. Involved us in the decisionmaking much more than other doctors I've encountered.
Natural cycle IUIs, medicated IUIs, IVF, ICSI, batching, PGS, frozen transfer. PGS with frozen transfer was ultimately successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College. (Assigned nurse: Justine. Almost never talked to her. )
Jamie, Dr. Goldschlag's nurse, is awesome. Over 3 years I developed quite the rapport with her. She's so nice and helpful and knowledgable, although can be rushed. That's just the nature of how they run things there. Worth it to deal with.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
Factory. Things do slip through the cracks—you have to be very on top of it all and advocate for yourself right from the start. Some staff are lovely, others incompetent and/or rude. Some doctors arrogant/have god complex, and you will see them all at some point if you're there for any length of time. One 2014-2015 fellow, dr. Levine, was unbelievably insensitive and clueless. All worth it. Great success rates and generally very very professional. See Dr. Goldschlag.
Very rushed. Sometimes long waits.
Almost $100,000, and that was after insurance.
Upper East Side
He [Dr. Goldschlag] was compassionate and understanding...He was a good and attentive doctor. Listened to my needs and answered all my questions. Most of the time I had an appointment he was there. He communicated all the issues I was having and provided solutions. I think he needed to be a little more aggressive with the injections but that’s my opinion...He is a great doctor but unfortunately it wasn’t successsful with me.
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be patient because nothing happens overnight. Listen to his advice and if needed get a second opinion. He is a great doctor but unfortunately it wasn’t successsful with me.
He was compassionate and understanding.
There was one nurse which I believe was the nurse that makes the doctor appointment that was super helpful. Any questions I had she answered to the best of her abilities.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
They were open early hours and the blood work and everything was done quick. I was able to get to work on time. There is some wait time for the dr to do the ultrasound but overall it wasn’t too long. It was a very crowded office. And sometimes it did feel like next next kind of thing. But some of the nurses were great overall. I think maybe offer financing or provide options. Overall not a bad clinic.
Upper West Side
9 IUI, IVF
Anovulation, Other
He [Dr. Goldschlag] was great. Really liked his personality and bedside manner. He was very personal and thoughtful. Unfortunately, my only criticism is that he is working within a very specific system [at Cornell Weill Fertility] and can't really experiment as much as we would have needed. In general, I really liked him though.
9 IUI, IVF
Anovulation, Other
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He was great. Really liked his personality and bedside manner. He was very personal and thoughtful. Unfortunately, my only criticism is that he is working within a very specific system and can't really experiment as much as we would have needed. In general, I really liked him though.
Ask him questions! He will answer them.
Cornell does things one particular way, and they all adhere to the same formula. While we liked Dr. Goldshlag, it was very rare that we'd actually see him when we went in for bloodwork and monitoring. The way Cornell works, you see whatever doctor is on the floor that day. To see your doc, you actually have to make an appointment. This causes all the other docs to not have any clue about your case, which is why I believe they follow the regimented way they do things so strictly. If you have any issues, or need them to think outside the box, this is not the place to go. In general however, if you simply want to try traditional IVF, Cornell is fine and I really liked him as a person.
2012 - 2018
I always knew Dr Goldschlag was monitoring my progress even if I didn’t always see him at appointments...He listened to my fears and hopes and what was happening to my body and we decided together. There was not a one size fits all rule that was just applied to me...always answers my questions and never makes me feel rushed. He definitely makes you feel like you are in the best hands. I personally feel like he’s an angel here on earth.
2012 - 2018
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
The place is very organized to treat so many people and give the highest care possible, so it could feel like you are just a number but I always knew Dr Goldschlag was monitoring my progress even if I didn’t always see him at appointments.
His assistant doesn’t return phone calls always so you must stay on top of her.
Dr Goldschlag always answers my questions and never makes me feel rushed. He definitely makes you feel like you are in the best hands. I personally feel like he’s an angel here on earth.
I don’t remember. I was on a lot of medicine for a long time bc I am a poor responder. 2 fresh cycles resulted in 3 kids.
It’s a giant team and you never know who is calling from day to day with instructions but they are knowledgeable and professional.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
One of the best in the country. It’s nyc, so people are everywhere (mornings there are crowded). blood is taken in stalls like a farm but it’s all good. You know you are in good hands. I am very happy I chose Cornell.
2013 - 2017
[Dr. Dan Goldschlag is a] Wonderful doctor who is calm and clearly articulates the issues and how he plans to address them. After set backs, we discussed how I was feeling emotionally and physically (and financially) and that was part of the equation of how we were to move forward with my plan.... Practice is very process - driven, limited engagement with primary doctor after you set protocol for the cycle. The nurses are responsible for the day to day interaction with the patients.
2013 - 2017
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
Be your own advocate. Cornell is a large clinic.
Often times the nursing staff gave contradicting information to the dr I saw that morning during monitoring. I had to advocate for myself and make sure the direction was proper.
Describe your experience with Weill Cornell Medical College.
World class clinic and lab, but serves many many patients - can feel overwhelming and stressful. Focus on why you are there- and no the crowds. Come early so you don't wait for hour+ during monitoring.
Upper East Side
He's very knowledgeable and I can tell he [Dr Dan Goldschlag] knows his stuff. As he is also on a times website of affiliated doctors. However yea I do just feel like a number overtime and I don't really leave the office always understanding my case of pcos. He always says things look good and it's sorta fake sounding and illogical like I'm ttc for over a yr and half and I can multiple cysts on ovaries so how does everything "look good". Wish he'd elaborate more
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He's very knowledgeable and I can tell he knows his stuff. As he is also on a times website of affiliated doctors. However yea I do just feel like a number overtime and I don't really leave the office always understanding my case of pcos. He always says things look good and it's sorta fake sounding and illogical like I'm ttc for over a yr and half and I can multiple cysts on ovaries so how does everything "look good". Wish he'd elaborate more
There are about 50 + patients in the waiting room whenever I come. And I'm only seen by the Dr minimally for the ultrasound and see him for less then 3 mins before and after combined
4 IUI, IVF
He [Dr. Goldschlag] is very monotone and not that warmest doctor but I am very happy with him overall. Know his time is limited as he has many patients so you will see him only briefly.
4 IUI, IVF
How was your experience with Dan Goldschlag at Weill Cornell Medical College?
He is very monotone and not that warmest doctor but I am very happy with him overall.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Weill Cornell Medical College.
She was very accessible. She came to my apartment for the trigger shot as my husband was nervous too do it.