Brown Fertility

Orlando
70 W. Gore St
Orlando, FL 32806
407-244-5515

We think very fondly of Dr. Duffy, however, it took one year, and three IVF cycles (including one miscarriage and one chemical pregnancy) to diagnose me with Stage 2 Endometriosis. ... At this time, we asked Dr. Duffy if we should try the ReceptivaDX biopsy to rule out endometriosis. Having no closure from our 3 previous losses, we were willing to try any test possible for an answer. Dr. Duffy did not think we needed to do the test and did
It’s great how this clinic [FL Ins Repro Med] allows you to have a primary doctor. It is comforting to 9 times out of 10 always see the same doctor and build a patient/doctor relationship with them. It really helps heighten your level of comfort in such uncomfortable times. ... The nursing staff overall was good but since transferring to another clinic I realize that Dr. Duffy's office is not great by any means. ...
How was your experience with Daniel Duffy at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
We came to Dr. Duffy after 3 attempts at another clinic. We had already been through 4 untested embryos, resulting in a chemical and a missed miscarriage. Dr. Duffy recommended PGS screening and the ERA for us immediately. We ended up miscarrying at 8 weeks with our one normal embryo from that cycle with no reason why. Dr. Duffy proceeded by performing a D&C surgery on me the first week of April. We mourned our loss but wanted to remain positive and move forward to try again. We went through two more IVF egg retrievals with the clinic over the summer, neither of them resulting in a normal embryo. One of the cycles was a mini-IVF and the other was a lupron-flare cycle, both were new protocols to us and looking back, not the best protocols for an endometriosis patient. At this time, we asked Dr. Duffy if we should try the ReceptivaDX biopsy to rule out endometriosis. Having no closure from our 3 previous losses, we were willing to try any test possible for an answer. Dr. Duffy did not think we needed to do the test and did not think that was the cause of my issues. He kept circling back to an egg quality issue. Therefore, he felt moving to donor eggs would be the next best protocol. This was a heavy pill to swallow. I am only 31 years old and have normal AMH, FSH, estrogen, progesterone, and every other level. The Recurrent Loss Panel also showed no discrepancies in my bloodwork. However, with the idea of a baby in mind, we proceeded with the donor egg route. We moved on to transfer the two blastocysts created with donor eggs. Once again, we remained positive and hopeful. Dr. Duffy completed the transfer and one week later I had a positive at home pregnancy test. We were very excited and did not take another test until beta day. However, my beta had dropped to show a chemical pregnancy. We did not understand why my body rejected these two embryos. Dr. Duffy even had me on the antihistamine protocol for this transfer with a series of blood thinner shots, antihistamine medication, estrogen and an increased dose of progesterone. We went back to the drawing board and had our re-consult with Dr. Duffy (again). Now, he wanted to perform the ReceptivaDX biopsy and thought I may actually have endometriosis. From the literature in the brochure and on the ReceptivaDX website, it sounded like I would fit the bill. I was unexplained and had a history of 4 miscarriages now within a 2 year span. This is not a normal diagnosis for a 31 year old healthy female. I was a bit frustrated, as I had requested to do the biopsy before diving into donor eggs and was told it was not necessary. We were glad to see Dr. Duffy had warmed to the idea though. We proceeded with the biopsy in November. Three days later my results came back and much to Dr. Duffy's surprise, I had a level of 3.6, indicating that endometriosis was most likely present in my body. Dr. Duffy was shocked and I believe some of his staff were also surprised. We immediately moved to discuss laproscopic surgery to remove the endometriosis. Dr. Duffy explained he would not know what stage it was until he went in for surgery. The lupron depot protocol was not necessary, as we had no embryos left to transfer. I also was very ready to get to the root of the problem and remove it. I was ready to fight whatever was standing in the way of us and our long-awaited baby. Dr. Duffy performed the surgery on December 12th and diagnosed me as stage 2 endometriosis. The photos were appalling. We cannot believe how long I went undiagnosed. We are happy to have removed it by a talented doctor such as Dr. Duffy but we are also frustrated that it took so long to get here and that we lost so much in the process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Duffy at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Duffy frequently runs behind for appointments. Better time management overall is needed in his office. Be your own advocate, because sometimes the doctors are not aggressive enough in treatment protocols.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Duffy at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
We have been established patients with Dr. Duffy since November 2018. We think very fondly of Dr. Duffy, however, it took one year, and three IVF cycles (including one miscarriage and one chemical pregnancy) to diagnose me with Stage 2 Endometriosis.
Describe the protocols Daniel Duffy used in your cycles at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
For the first round, we used birth control followed by gonal f and menopur with our stims cycle. Dr. Duffy had us add in human growth hormone to help with egg quality. After the miscarriage, we tried a lupron-flare round (which did not end up producing any normal embryos) followed by a mini-ivf (which produced 2 eggs and 0 embryos).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Describe your experience with Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
It’s great how this clinic allows you to have a primary doctor. It is comforting to 9 times out of 10 always see the same doctor and build a patient/doctor relationship with them. It really helps heighten your level of comfort in such uncomfortable times.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Duffy at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Since we have been with dr. Duffy, our insurance coverage has kicked in and has substantially helped with costs.

2014 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr Duffy is a generally kind man that is knowledgeable about his profession. On most Occassions I feel he is slightly rushed, however, he listens to my concerns as long as I’m forward enough to stop him from leaving...sometimes I feel like he is board or complacent with my treatment. Overall, I choose to continue to see him because I have faith in his knowledge & we did get pregnant once under his care... it ended in loss.... but we are getting ready to try again.
The downtown location [of Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine] is “nicer”- sometimes you will experience a longer than expected wait before your appointment...The clinic is always clean and brightly colored with big comfy couches while you wait. I’ve also visited the south side office many times and it’s great as well. It’s smaller and less “plush” as are most satellite clinics. I’ve never had a negative with either office.
Dr Duffy is a generally kind man that is knowledgeable about his profession. On most Occassions I feel he is slightly rushed, however, he listens to my concerns as long as I’m forward enough to stop him from leaving. He is the 2nd Dr I’ve seen at this clinic, and while he is a vast improvement from my 1st experience, sometimes I feel like he is board or complacent with my treatment. Overall, I choose to continue to see him because I have faith in his knowledge & we did get pregnant once under his care... it ended in loss.... but we are getting ready to try again.
Ask him to explain what he is telling you if you don’t understand... sometimes it’s like he forgets to explain things where anyone could understand them- but answers questions well. Don’t be too timid.
I began treatment with metformin and timed intercourse. We conceived and experienced our 1st loss. Then we did Clomid 50mg cd5-9 with Time Intercourse again. Upped Clomid to 100mg cd 3-9 + IUI. Upped Clomid to 150mg cd3-9 + IUI, positive pregnancy test & beta. Then miscarriage. We decided to take a break trying after this loss.
At FIRM we have more contact with the dr’s than the nurses which is great. Every time I call in I speak with a nurse- and they have always been polite & helpful. The nurse that called with pregnancy test results is always compassionate & kind with good or bad news.
Describe your experience with Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
The downtown location is “nicer”- sometimes you will experience a longer than expected wait before your appointment, but that is to be expected with fertility treatments. The clinic is always clean and brightly colored with big comfy couches while you wait. I’ve also visited the south side office many times and it’s great as well. It’s smaller and less “plush” as are most satellite clinics. I’ve never had a negative with either office.
My insurance pays for anything diagnostic - my copay is $40. Any fertility treatment is not covered, $125 for trigger shot, $30 for Clomid per cycle, $165 for hcg blood draws, I’m unsure how much each baseline and follicle check u/s was- I believe $130. IUI was $390 plus all the other costs mentioned above.
Describe Daniel Duffy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
What specific things went wrong at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
With my first pregnancy after my beta draw, my progesterone was low... the nurse that called with my results told me they were calling in a progesterone suppository to my pharmacy- this was around 4pm... when I arrived at my pharmacy there was no Rx.... which made me panic as low progesterone can cause miscarriage- I was able to call the on cal Dr and get my Rx that same night. But it was quite upsetting to have to deal with all of that. In the end, my pregnancy ended in loss.
Jacksonville
He [Dr. Daniel Duffy] is very knowledgeable but majority of the time he seemed scattered and unprepared. After a failed egg retrieval, he was unable to discuss the results effectively with us since he did not review the notes...He would take the time to answer questions...I was placed on a lupron flare protocol with human growth hormone to give me the best chances. Ultrasounds looked good up until egg retrieval, which resulted in less eggs than expected. Unfortunately the eggs were of poor quality and did not form any viable embryos...
Doctors [at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine] rotate for procedures so may not have your doctor do the retrieval. No electronic medical records so records are not always up to date at visits. No confirmation calls for appointments. Difficult to speak to doctors via phone...There was always a wait at the South office as opposed to the Downtown office....Injection meds were not submitted as requested. They are willing to work with you regarding the schedule...
He is very knowledgeable but majority of the time he seemed scattered and unprepared. After a failed egg retrieval, he was unable to discuss the results effectively with us since he did not review the notes.
He is nice and knowledgeable but you need to be on top of things.
He would take the time to answer questions.
Describe your experience with Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
Doctors rotate for procedures so may not have your doctor do the retrieval. No electronic medical records so records are not always up to date at visits. No confirmation calls for appointments. Difficult to speak to doctors via phone.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine.
There was always a wait at the South office as opposed to the Downtown office.
No insurance coverage.
They prefer to transfer 1-2 embryos.
What specific things went wrong at Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine?
Injection medications were not called in as promised.