Medical SchoolRWJ Rutgers
ResidencyColumbia
FellowshipHarvard
21 E. 69th Street
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend David Barad to a friend?
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Center for Human Reproduction to a friend?
Dr Barad takes a long time to talk to you and explain everything to you. When asked for statistics or chances, he would often say things like [My Name] is a unique person that should not be compared to other people. He never made decisions for me, but rather educated me to make my own decisions...I would highly recommend Dr Barad to anyone who has DOR or is of advanced maternal age.
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr Barad is a highly knowledgeable and compassionate doctor. He may at times focus to little on research that contradicts his own, however he is open to trying new things. I would highly recommend Dr Barad to anyone who has DOR or is of advanced maternal age.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Trust him and expect to be there a long time during consults because he talks slow and explains everything. He also may give you a hug or rub your hand of something to comfort you. Some people may be taken aback by this at first but it is purely out of human comfort.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Describe the protocols David Barad used in your cycles at Center for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
Dr. Barad believes in high dose stims and to retrieve eggs early, depending on when estrogen plateaus even if the follicle are small. The eggs are matured in the lab. I have 100% fertilization rate with this clinic. He does not believe in using antagonists (Ganerlix or Cetrotide) as he believes it causes damage to egg quality. He does an immune protocol for transfer. Firmly believes in fresh 3 day transfers and is opposed to PGS testing
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Maria Vergel)
Very direct and to the point. They do not share information with you unless you ask
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
The strength of the clinic is its philosophy in an individualized approach as well as it being "boutique" style with limited crowding and waiting time. They are also very flexible with appointments including monitoring.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Center for Human Reproduction.
Usually limited wait time. If you go early then you will wait because doctor does not come in until 8:30
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction.
Very expensive OOP. About 18K per cycle. They take 2 insurances (aetna and oxford)
Describe David Barad's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Center for Human Reproduction.
He will do what makes sense and take into account what the patient wants. If you are older or have a history of failed transfers he will transfer 3+
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Barad is wonderful. He is a little old fashioned, in that he only does fresh transfers, which is the only reason why we went to another clinic. He treats you like a person, not just a number. He always took the time with both me and my husband to answer any questions. The only bad thing is that he tells you to email him and then doesn't return those emails. Other than that, he's great.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Barad always remembered details about me & my husband, and was very kind to both of us. After my egg retrievals, we would go into the lobby, find my husband and give him an update. I had one dedicated nurse, who was familiar with me and I only communicated with her.
Protocol used for all cycles was the same: 75mg DHEA 1000 mg CoQ10 Synthroid Plaquinal 450 IU Gonal F 150 IU Menopur Estrogen Patches I think they do basically the same protocol for everyone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Dorota)
The nursing staff is great. They are well organized, and you have a nurse that only deals with you. That cuts down on a lot of explanation time. The phlebotomist is also fantastic. I have very difficult veins (they're really deep), and most phlebotomists can't find them, stick me several times or move the needle - she got it every single time.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
It's in a renovated brownstone, small and a little claustrophobic. They're all very compassionate and caring, everyone (except for Dr. Kushnir, who seems miserable all of the time). They get back to you in a reasonable amount of time, the nurses usually email you back in a reasonable amount of time, and everyone knows what's going on.
You went up the waiting room, and there never seemed to be more than 4 people waiting. There was only once that there was more, and I had to awkwardly stand in the hall. It's a small, narrow building.
Every cycle was roughly $15,000 including medication.
They do multiple embryo transfers.
Center for Human Reproduction
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Immunological, Unexplained
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
I am an older patient in terms of fertility treatment, which is difficult in and of itself. Dr. Barad and CHR do present themselves as specializing in older women, which of course helped me feel somewhat better and, as a long-distance patient, this was the primary reason I chose CHR. Dr. Barad was noticeably kinder and more reassuring in his manner (despite the abysmal statistics we have faced and still face in this process). He was communicative and receptive to questions or concerns. However, CHR as a whole, including all 3 of its physicians to varying degrees, could do a far better job with patient communication. For example, for our first IVF cycle, we were not told that we would be automatically required to do ICSI and assisted zona hatching. We arrived on the day of scheduled egg retrieval and at this point were asked by front desk staff to pay an additional ~$3500, which seemed very unprofessional. Also, my partner and I currently live outside the U.S., and particularly prior to our first IVF cycle, at times it was very difficult to get clear, prompt and complete answers to our questions from nurses ("Clinical Coordinators") and staff. This greatly hindered our efforts to complete the requested immunological testing for CHR prior to the first IVF cycle. It took an inordinate amount of phone calls, clarifications and excess time to clear up what could have been resolved in a couple hours with clearer and timelier answers and better communication.
Ask all the questions you have; be very clear about what information you need and have questions prepared ahead of time. You get very little designated face-to-face time with physicians at CHR during a cycle. If you're struggling emotionally and if you're able to, let him know that this process is hard for you.
Dr. Barad is very kind and is receptive to questions / concerns. He has a warm manner and seemed to understand how terrifying and profoundly disturbing this process can be.
Initial ultrasound around cycle day 2, then Follistim (or Bravelle or Gonal-F) 450 IU QAM for about 9 days, along with Menopur 150 IU QPM for about 9 days. Daily ultrasounds starting about day 5 of hormonal stimulation process. HCG trigger shot timed so that follicles were not too mature. Egg retrieval 36 hrs. later, about cycle day 13. Important - NOTE: Embryo transfer for me was always on DAY TWO. So all embryos were only 2-day embryos. This is something CHR does often with older women. Also, we were explicitly advised AGAINST pre-implantion genetic diagnosis. Dr. Gleicher (as "lead" CHR physician) felt that PGD offered more risk than benefit for my embryos as an older patient. (This was of course in direct contrast to what other clinics had told us, but I was ok with it.) I had some evidence of an unidentified immune issue, so in addition to hormonal medications, here were the medications prescribed: DHEA 75mg daily before and throughout all cycles (I took less), CoQ10 1000mg daily (I took ubiquinol instead as I believe it's better absorbed), low-dose aspirin, prednisone ranging from 10mg and 60mg at different times during IVF cycle, doxycycline around time of egg retrieval, Lovenox (enoxaparin) 40 mg following egg retrieval, and daily progesterone in oil injections until pregnancy test (or 12 weeks gestation). Prior to IVF treatment, with my second (natural) miscarriage, I learned my thyroid was underactive, so I now take natural dessicated thyroid (a medication called "WP Thyroid"). Dr. Gleicher told me, as I understood it, that he sees any unexplained hypothyroid issue as an autoimmune issue. My initial immunological testing also found that I had an extremely high interleukin-6 level, which is indicative of inflammation, but not useful information in terms of any specific clinical cause or source. I also was prescribed an IV infusion of Immunoglobulin-G (very expensive) before egg retrieval due to likely autoimmune issue, as well as because Dr. Gleicher believed my partner and I had some HLA type I and II matching. (Apparently, Dr. Braverman of Braverman Reproductive Immunology, who we consulted with briefly, disagreed with this assessment.) Before my second IVF attempt I was directed to start Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) 400 mg daily to (hopefully) prevent miscarriage prevention. CHR prescribed Plaquenil as an attempt to address my high IL-6 level/suspected autoimmune issue as well as recurrent miscarriage. (I have since chosen on my own to discontinue Plaquenil.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Maria)
I had a hard time getting clear, timely and complete answers to questions with my initial coordinator at CHR, Ella. We were communicating from outside the U.S. and needed very clear information about what tests CHR was requesting and how to get blood samples shipped to CHR, and trying to get clear and complete answers from our coordinator and the nursing staff was a complete nightmare. Ultimately I asked to speak with a supervisor, and the nursing supervisor took over. It was an unpleasant experience. We later worked with Maria, who was much more reliable, although not easy to reach directly and not particularly warm or communicative.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
I think I've answered this question already in my previous responses.
It was not too bad - we did not have a problem with the scheduling. It was however difficult at that time to ask any questions of the doctor, who always seemed quite rushed.
Because I was not working, and because of the current exchange rate, we qualified for the reduced IVF rate of $8500 per cycle. To this was added the following: $4200 per cycle for anesthesia, ICSI, and assisted zona hatching; $4000 per cycle for IVIg; $3500 on average per cycle for hormonal and other medications; $4500 per cycle for travel (from outside the U.S.) and lodging costs; $3700 (one-time) for all initial immunological testing needed before first cycle.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Dr. Barad was compassionate to me. I was of advanced maternal age when I first started exploring IVF (age 46), and I was 47 when I started, and turned 48 in the last cycle when I got pregnant (and miscarried)...Dr. Barad also showed deep respect and connection to my Jewish path and how spiritual the IVF journey felt to me. He also told us bad news with care, even giving us metaphors for how not to become invested in the early few weeks of the pregnancy. Although it was hard information to hear, it was helpful to have the clarity...Dr. Barad was the most loving, caring, honest and compassionate doctor I've ever encountered, and all the more so because he was dealing with me at such a strenuous and difficult time as doing four IVF cycles back to back when I was at a desperate last attempt to try IVF and experimental treatment at my age.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Barad was compassionate to me. I was of advanced maternal age when I first started exploring IVF (age 46), and I was 47 when I started, and turned 48 in the last cycle when I got pregnant (and miscarried). Other doctors in other clinics/offices mocked me or said insensitive things throughout the process. Dr. Barad also showed deep respect and connection to my Jewish path and how spiritual the IVF journey felt to me. He also told us bad news with care, even giving us metaphors for how not to become invested in the early few weeks of the pregnancy. Although it was hard information to hear, it was helpful to have the clarity.
Ask a lot of questions, and in particular ask the practice (Dr. Gleicher and Dr. Barad) to do everything possible even if experimental in the first cycle. I wish I had fully understood about HGH and taken HGH earlier (I only did it in the 4th cycle, which happens to be when I got pregnant). Also - do everything else emotionally to prepare and ground during the IVF cycles as well as acupuncture right after transfer.
Dr. Barad was the most loving, caring, honest and compassionate doctor I've ever encountered, and all the more so because he was dealing with me at such a strenuous and difficult time as doing four IVF cycles back to back when I was at a desperate last attempt to try IVF and experimental treatment at my age. He related to me so calmly and with complete presence at each appointment including each ultrasound monitoring visit, egg retrievals, egg transfers, and then when I got miraculously pregnant (I found out two weeks after I turned 48!) he was equally compassionate yet honest at our first ultrasound appointments (which looked good), and then at the sad appointments when their was not heartbeat on the date it should have appeared. He encouraged us to wait another week to see what would happen, and when we had the follow up, he was equally compassionate but honest about the ways I could choose to miscarry (D&C or natural). He gave excellent advice and I felt he was sad with us and could handle our sadness. He also followed up immediately when he had the results with a phone call to tell me the results of the genetic testing and gender, after the D&C. He was equally compassionate and caring in that call, while being honest and direct. Lastly, I brought a prayer to say on my iPhone in my first egg retrieval, and although I really didn't know him well yet, and had no idea what it would be like, he fully smiled and waited for me to read the prayer before we began. He made the whole experience life-affirming and spiritual, even when medically it was very hard.
I was advanced age (47) - I took Gonal F (I think 450cc) and Menopur (I think 150cc), micronized DHEA 75mg (beginning 3 months prior to starting cycles, using CHR's brand), CoQ10, early egg retrieval (CHR's specialty research is amazing), 3-weeks of HGH leading up to my 4th/last cycle, and 3 day fresh transfers. First cycle I got 2 eggs (1 embryo); 2nd cycle 3 eggs (2 embryos); 3rd cycle only on follicle looked big so we switched to IUI (I think I was too exhausted and not taking the meds properly so that is why that cycle failed); 4th cycle I got 3 eggs (3 embryos) - resulted in positive pregnancy test, but miscarried at 8 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Huina Zhou)
My nurse Huina Zhou was so communicative from the first email I ever got from her when she was assigned to me case. I then learned she is one of the nurse coordinators and even more appreciated how much she wrote to me with detail and communicated with me promptly and with great connection no matter what my question was. A lot of my initial questions were based out of inexperience, fear and being overwhelmed by all of the emotional, financial and medical decisions. She was incredible with in-office visits too and seemed to work all hours, and told me when I needed to alter plans or come in based on ultrasounds. She gave me encouragement to keep going and was so excited when I got pregnant, and was equally compassionate when I found out it was a miscarriage. She is an incredible nurse. The rest of the nurses also who worked with me, even the front desk people and the phlebotomists, were equally present and gave great care. My nurse Huina also followed up with all my questions or concerns immediately, even if it meant bringing my question to the doctors in their daily meeting. She always gave my case to another nurse when she was off-duty and I always felt they knew what was going on in my case.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
HCR gives hope and the feeling of accomplishment. Dr. Gleicher was incredible in all our Skype-calls (I was out of state). I felt they truly cared about my case. They took so much time to talk with us and help my case. They specialized with me in care at my advanced age to try to work with my own embryos. They always were honest about prognosis and percentages. I wish I had started with them 2-3 years earlier and that I had had more money to do another cycle or to start earlier - that is my only regret. I wish there was a program for women like me to get financial aid -- at 48 when I miscarried, I would have actually been crazy enough to try again if there was financial support to do so. I got very involved emotionally wanting to make a medical miracle and be part of their project of helping so many women through IVF and fertility treatments. This is not a weakness, but I do wish I had been encouraged by CHR to pursue more psychological care or advice to get that throughout or recommendations for mental care to support how emotional it was on all of the medications and the emotional grief of my miscarriage. I don't think I realized when I started how difficult it would be on my or my partnership, and there is not a lot of public awareness/support until I started to seek it out. I think if I wasn't so distraught and in grief after my miscarriage I might have jumped back in to try another cycle with my own eggs, or to pursue egg donor.
Monitoring was also professional. Everything was explained well, I got printouts of the images, there was a screen up above that I could see as well as the one the doctor was looking at. I did not know how often I would need to be monitored as an out of state person, so that was a little challenging at first and at times to figure out. I never had to wait long and it felt luxurious to wait in the waiting room which had an espresso/coffee and hot chocolate machine and often croissants. The office is in the Upper East Side of NYC and I lived 3 hours away. I would come in for appointments sometimes for the day or else stay over at a friend's. Parking was hard, until I discovered a parking garage by NYU a few blocks away.
Unfortunately we paid fully out of pocket for treatment and medications due to my age (my insurance only covered up to age 43 I think) and so it cost us a huge amount (over $60,000 total). I was able to purchase the fertility meds needed for one cycle while in Costa Rica on a short vacation for half the cost there at a pharmacy, and for the last cycle an IVF friend donated her unused meds to me.
CHR/Dr. Gleicher had great explanations for transferring all my fresh embryos since I only produced a few each time and since I was advanced age and didn't want to risk losing any of them through testing or freezing.
Center for Human Reproduction
Dr. Barad is very nice, compassionate and experienced. No doubt. But I also think since he is older he is stuck with his opinions. I also think that they try to push everything that's only proven by their clinic's research. In my opinion one clinic and 3 women is not of statistical significance. For older women with DOR they try whatever they can to retrieve even if it is one follicle. So they don't cancel cycles. I think it's great for those women. But they tried to use the same protocol for me even though I am 44 and retrieved 8 eggs. it didn't work for me and they want to do the same even the next time.
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
If you have no hope and only getting 1-2 follicles they will treat you.
They give the same protocol to everyone. They are not flexible in customizing treatment. Lab is a chaos. Nurses are so unorganized. Dr. Barad is nice when you see him. But that doesn't help in the rest of the treatment. They don't explain what is going on during the treatment. They just see you for a minute, give you orders. Nurses are so poor in explaining and communicating.
1st IVF - 300gonal - 150 Menopur. 2 eggs retrieved, 1 fertilized with ICSI and transferred. BFN. 2nd IVF - I asked to increase Meds. 450 Gonal, 150 Menopur. Trigger at 14mm lead. First time triggered at 17 lead and the other two at 11 and 12. He thought we waited too long and lost the lead so this time at 14. 8 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 3 transferred. Pregnancy - D&C in 9th week. Trisomy 15. He doesn't cancel cycles. He doesn't want to freeze or do PGD. Does day 2 transfer. Said the same protocol for the next one. So I switched RE.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Center for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Huina)
Their lab is so old school, they don't have my file when I go there for scheduled blood work, always so much confusion. The nurse coordinator doesn't speak English very well not gives instructions well. She made me panic at the last minute regarding HCG as I didn't have it in my hand and couldn't get it on time because of her not thinking forward and giving proper instructions. Same for ordering medications. They don't call back and let you know if there is a problem with insurance not follow up with insurance.
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
It's a small clinic which I like. Everything is so small but I think they are building a new block just behind. Overall I like the clinic. Wait time is horrible though.
It's always in the morning. I didn't see Dr. Barad even once during me second IVF monitoring. Dr. Kushner who did monitoring is so grim and doesn't give you any answers or indications. Extremely Uninformative.
My insurance covered it.
2008 - 2010
3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Barad was consistently gentle with my body and with my emotions. He always allowed time for my humanity--and his own. He was a great comfort during a miserable time in my life....I could not have been happier with Dr. Barad. My son exists because of his caring nature, as well as because of his expertise.
2008 - 2010
3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
Make the appointment today!
Describe your experience with Center for Human Reproduction.
A large New York clinic that specializes in egg donors from diverse backgrounds.
New York, so most things were covered by insurance--co-pays added up, but was very grateful it was covered! Donor egg cycle was not covered, and I think it ran around $25,000
2011 - 2012
He [Dr. Barad] is caring. Good relationships with office staff and nurses. Willing to come in on weekends....He is more nurturing than Gleser. He will work with the best timeline for you family. I had a broken leg and young child and he convinced me to wait.
2011 - 2012
How was your experience with David Barad at Center for Human Reproduction?
He is caring. Good relationships with office staff and nurses. Willing to come in on weekends.
Talk it through with him.