6.3

Oakbrook
1919 Midwest Road
Oakbrook, IL 60523
630 916 8630

He [Dr. Cohen] is very clear about what his goals are. He met with me and explained the entire process, but when I expressed concerns and my wishes/decisions I felt like I was getting blown off. During testing, he explained the results of the ultrasound live, but I was so shaken up by the procedure that I wasn't processing anything. I expected some kind of follow up and never got any.
It's [IHR Chicago] kind of weird to find, limited parking and you need a code to get through the front door. Nurses were very very friendly. Hours are also limited. Double and triple check that they have your address correct. You will probably have to call them for test results. Take notes and be sure to write down all the numbers they give you as they relate to your health, bc you will not receive a copy.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
He is very clear about what his goals are. He met with me and explained the entire process, but when I expressed concerns and my wishes/decisions I felt like I was getting blown off. During testing, he explained the results of the ultrasound live, but I was so shaken up by the procedure that I wasn't processing anything. I expected some kind of follow up and never got any.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Take notes, ask questions, and write everything down
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
He called me from his personal cell phone to explain testing, however during visits he kept forgetting my wishes. I had to call repeatedly and ask for test results and explanations.
Describe the protocols David Cohen used in your cycles at Institute for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
I only went through the consultations and initial testing. I understood the need for the initial ultrasound, but when they said "okay everything looks good now let's schedule the more invasive ultrasound" I had questions as to why I need another test if everything "looked good". I felt like Dr Cohen kept pushing IUI and IVF but never explained why.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
They were supposed to call me with explanations of results and never did. I had to call repeatedly to obtain test results. They also incorrectly recorded my address and never attempted to contact me other than via mail for billing. I finally called and asked why I hadn't received a bill, only to find that the staff had the wrong address.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
It's kind of weird to find, limited parking and you need a code to get through the front door. Nurses were very very friendly. Hours are also limited. Double and triple check that they have your address correct. You will probably have to call them for test results. Take notes and be sure to write down all the numbers they give you as they relate to your health, bc you will not receive a copy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Initial testing and consultation (no cycles) cost around $2000. I have "excellent" insurance coverage according to them.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Didn't call with results. Wrote down the wrong billing address
2017, Unknown Success
There is no weekend monitoring [at IHR] which can cause some difficulties. The office staff had been very helpful when I have called with questions. I was just thrown into treatment and would have liked a better understanding of exactly what to expect each month. It makes planning for monitoring a little easier as I live in another state. The billing department does not seem to be on top of things at all. It was several months into treatment before I even received an EOB for my initial visit.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen is very caring, straightforward, but also optimistic about treatment options. I never felt like he gave me false hope. Has has always been honest about potential outcomes and realistic success rates. To be honest, I wish I was able to work with him more frequently than other members of office staff. My only qualm is about a diagnosis. I was initally referred for bilaterally blocked tubes. He completed an hsn and stated all was clear and that my tubes were fine. I am not sure this test is as specific for blocked tubes as my hsg. He seemed to completely trust his results and we are proceeding with his recommended treatment of IUI at this time.
If possible try to complete your initial consult visit at his main office. He came to my OB/GYN's office for my initial visit. He had no staff with him and was doing everything by himself. While this isn't necessarily a problem, I feel like we would have had more material like handouts to take home and review if the visit had been at his main office. He doesn't leave a lot of time in the first appointment for questions. So make sure you are upfront with those early in the appointment to get your answers.
Dr. Cohen gave us pros and cons for each type of treatment option. He always asked if I was ok, and genuinely seemed to care. He would often say, "if you were my sister I wouldn't have you do.." for x treatment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Nursing staff has been prompt. If you call you are unlikely to get a response immediately. I believe they are not in untill late morning/afternoon. I have found the best mode of communication with my nurse is email. They also have a voicemail patient portal to leave patient's messages about results. My coordinator has always make sure to talk to me directly if she is calling about protocol instructions. That way I can ask questions and ensure I am on the same page.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
There is no weekend monitoring which can cause some difficulties. The office staff had been very helpful when I have called with questions. I was just thrown into treatment and would have liked a better understanding of exactly what to expect each month. It makes planning for monitoring a little easier as I live in another state. The billing department does not seem to be on top of things at all. It was several months into treatment before I even received an EOB for my initial visit.
David Cohen

Dr Cohen himself was nice, appeared competent and experienced. He is personable...he didn't even take my history into consideration. It felt that he made his recommendations based on routine practice instead of an individual assessment... The actual clinic is a mess and then the surgical center he uses for all of his procedures is also not the best (difficult parking, EXPENSIVE even with insurance and flighty staff).
The financial lady [at Institute for Human Reproduction] was terrible. Actually a large part of why we left th clinic. Took her over two weeks to get paperwork to us to even start treatment also was not friendly when trying to discuss insurance coverage, how tests/labs were going to be billed or already billed. We don't have infertility coverage and she genuinely seemed annoyed by that.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr Cohen himself was nice, appeared competent and experienced. He is personable. The actual clinic is a mess and then the surgical center he uses for all of his procedures is also not the best (difficult parking, EXPENSIVE even with insurance and flighty staff).
You correspond with your nurse more than the MD so if the nurse/ancillary staff are not strong it will be difficult to get through. Even with he best MD recommendations and prescriptions you need a good nurse to guide you.
As someone who has a decent medical history he didn't even take my history into consideration. It felt that he made his recommendations based on routine practice instead of an individual assessment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Joselyn )
The financial lady was terrible. Actually a large part of why we left th clinic. Took her over two weeks to get paperwork to us to even start treatment also was not friendly when trying to discuss insurance coverage, how tests/labs were going to be billed or already billed. We don't have infertility coverage and she genuinely seemed annoyed by that.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
All mornings are blocked off for walk ins for testing (labs, ultrasounds, etc) which is pretty nice. However, never received results like they promise you do at your initial consultation. The financial department is a nightmare to work with and that unfortunately is very important when receiving medical care that can add up to tens of thousands of dollars. Also very hard to reach staff by phone.
Not too sure- most billed to insurance and then couldn't get additional costs from the financial lady.

2015, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Cohen] has an amazing bedside manner. The rest of the office is a mess.
No communication with doctors or nurses [at Institute for Human Reproduction]. Everything is done over a 800 number. No one remembers you...
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
He has an amazing bedside manner. The rest of the office is a mess.
Be present. Communicate more.
No communication with doctors or nurses. Everything is done over a 800 number. No one remembers you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Vernita)
I am so lost as to the procedures at the clinic. It is a complete mess.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
I have no idea what's going on at the clinic. I'm given instructions to take medications during evaluation cycles. I'm given instructions to take medications I don't have. When I inquired about this a few days later I was told, oops, sorry, now it's too late, you'll need to wait until next month or come back in for another ultrasound. I have no idea what is going on at that office, what the steps are.