6.3

Oakbrook
1919 Midwest Road
Oakbrook, IL 60523
630 916 8630

When he [Dr. David Cohen] explains procedures, it comes with charts and graphs and numbers, like a college lecture. My wife and I loved that level of detail, and he explained every step and decision as he went along. How many more IUIs to do, whether or not to do testing, how many to transfer, all came with percentages and evidence-based decisions that he was still open to change if we were to insist.
They [IHR-Chicago] are wonderfully thorough with their procedures and information, but its hard to wait all day for results sometimes. They are a busy clinic, and its understandable. They do a very good job conveying detailed lab results. An issue arising at 3pm on Friday is liable not to be resolved until Monday morning, and the office lacks any real after-hours care. The coordinator is very willing to work around personal schedules. No one has every negatively influenced our decision making, they have always been supportive of our personal choices and thoughts. There hasn't been any judgment or guilt over mistakes we made.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
He did inter-change with the other doctor at the center, but they both were sure to make us feel we were having comprehensive care. Both the egg retrieval and a pollup removal during an IUI cycle were done at another medical facility, but by our doctors. We did not see him often, but 95% of visits were lab work and it wouldn't have been necessary. IHR came highly recommended to us, and has fulfilled that reputation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Prepare questions ahead of time, but don't be afraid to ask him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
His technitions were very personable, his clinic was efficient without being cold, and he took time to explain every detail with us when we had questions.
Describe the protocols David Cohen used in your cycles at Institute for Human Reproduction and their degree of success.
When he explains procedures, it comes with charts and graphs and numbers, like a college lecture. My wife and I loved that level of detail, and he explained every step and decision as he went along. How many more IUIs to do, whether or not to do testing, how many to transfer, all came with percentages and evidence-based decisions that he was still open to change if we were to insist.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
The care staff each had a specific job, and the coordinator did a great job keeping all the information and direction together
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
They are wonderfully thorough with their procedures and information, but its hard to wait all day for results sometimes. They are a busy clinic, and its understandable. They do a very good job conveying detailed lab results. An issue arising at 3pm on Friday is liable not to be resolved until Monday morning, and the office lacks any real after-hours care. The coordinator is very willing to work around personal schedules. No one has every negatively influenced our decision making, they have always been supportive of our personal choices and thoughts. There hasn't been any judgment or guilt over mistakes we made.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Institute for Human Reproduction.
It was a well oiled machine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Dr. Cohen gave us an insiders look to our insurance, and explained in detail how to make the most out of it. Out of pocket costs ended up being only sperm and shipments, and a delivery fee to the lab, and the freezer cost for a year for the embryos.
Describe David Cohen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Institute for Human Reproduction.
None, we agree in the 'one healthy baby at a time' idea

2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Cohen had made himself available if we have had any questions in the process. He did not trust my hsg results from my local hospital and completed an hsn in office. He felt that my previous diagnosis of blocked tubes was wrong based on his testing. At his recommendation we are trying IUI when I had previously been told my tubes needed to be taken out and ivf was my only option...Dr. Cohen presented the pros and cons of each treatment option. He often said, "if you were my sister I wouldn't recommend.." for x treatment. I felt like he had both the best interest of my personal health and family at heart. He would often ask how I was doing if he could tell I was uncomfortable. I felt he genuinely cared about me as a patient.
The nursing staff [at Institute for Human Reproduction] isn't always easy to get In touch with. I believe they start lasts morning/afternoon. I have found that email is the best mode of communication. My coordination has made sure to answer all of my questions. She always makes sure to speak with me directly regarding protocol instructions so I can insure we are on the same page...The billing department is not great. I have had trouble contacting them both via phone and email. I have been seen at the office for many months before ever receiving an EOB for my fort visit. Payment for treatment is required prior to cycle start. Yet there was no one available to taken my payment when I went for my first monitoring appointment. I was told to call back in the afternoon so it could be taken over the phone. This may be in part because my initial appointment was at my OB/GYN's office where Dr. Cohen travels once a month to see patients. The staff isn't particularly warm, but has always been really helpful if any issues arise.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
If possible I would recommend you have an initial consult at his office in Chicago. I live in another state and Dr. Cohen comes to my OB/GYN office once a month to see new referrals from that office. He did not have any office staff with him and even called us back from the waiting room. While there is nothing wrong with that, I felt I may have gotten more handouts or material to take home had we been seen in Chicago. It also may have allowed us time to meet with their financial coordinator. Dr. Cohen didn't leave a lot of time for questions in the first appointment. So if you have them, make sure to be upfront and ask at the beginning of the appointment. While he met with us for an hour and a half a majority of the time was reviewing my history, previous testing results, and discussing types/outcomes of ART.
After my hsn Dr. Cohen recommended IUI as he felt my tubes were clear and uterus fine. My first IUI was 50 mg if clomid says 5-9 of my cycle. I had baseline monitoring cycle days 5, 12, and 14. I had an ovidrel trigger shot on cycle day 15.My IUI was completed on cycle day 16. I was given progesterone and estrogen supplements to take untill my blood test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
The nursing staff isn't always easy to get In touch with. I believe they start lasts morning/afternoon. I have found that email is the best mode of communication. My coordination has made sure to answer all of my questions. She always makes sure to speak with me directly regarding protocol instructions so I can insure we are on the same page.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
There is a self-pay discount for treatment services as my insurance has no fertility coverage.
Chicago

Dr Cohen has a great bedside manner. We also saw his partner Dr Turkaspa who is aloof and hard to understand at times. Dr Cohen spent a lot of time with us answering questions and providing options when it was clear we needed to try something else...
[IHR is...] Small, intimate. Front desk staff - not friendly or warm. The phlebotomist is the nicest one! I felt like I had to be my own secretary- they often forgot paperwork and left me doing a lot of leg work to make sure each appointment happened. We waited over 45 minutes for an appt and Dr Turkaspa (Cohens partner) was not even made aware we were there waiting. It's walk in each day from 6:30-9am for blood work. I liked this aspect. I knew if I got there early I would be in and out fast!...
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Strength: compassion, care , concern Weakness : not easy to reach via phone or email
Be choosy about the coordinator they assign you - they are not all equal. Ask for email or how to contact after hours. I often had to scramble when things came up on weekends or evenings
I have low egg quality and diminished reserve. He used the "max dose " of gonal F and certrotide. They also suggested prenatal vitamins
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Vernita)
Vernita had no "bedside" manner. She left confusing voicemails, was difficult to contact and once sent me someone else's test results ! We requested a new coordinator after that.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Go early and get out early. I liked that Monitoring was always MWF the first week - easier to plan my schedule.
Insurance paid for all except genetic testing which came to around 20k with batching fees etc
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Hippa violation- sent me results with another patient name at top Consistently not being clear about what tests I had done or needed to do in the beginning of treatment. Mixed messages on doses. No way to contact after hours. The billing office took days /over a week to respond to questions. The Surgery Center at 900 Michigan had RNs with little bedside manner. My husband said the room where he had to sit to produce the sperm sample was dirty! He had to sit on his coat because the chair was not clean.
Chicago
Since we didn't have any other issues other than unexplained infertility, we followed fairly regular protocols with the addition of estrace to increase lining. Dr. Cohen didn't require birth control between each cycle which I preferred because of the added delay and birth control sometimes hurt more than helped my cycle. When we did have to use birth control in preparation for a test or getting to the next cycle, I often didn't have to go through the whole cycle before we could move ahead. Since the waiting can feel like forever, these small adjustments made a big difference in feeling like we were moving forward.
It is a smaller clinic [IHR] so you get more personalized care. The doctors are great, the nurses and staff, particularly the coordinators, can be hit or miss. The morning baseline and test routine is taxing and difficult, especially if you work and don't know how long things will take each time you go in. You don't always get results by the time you are supposed to which is also stressful. However, when there are scheduled procedures or appointments things go very smoothly and people are very nice and helpful.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen was very proactive with our care. When things didn't work he would suggest what next steps and tests we could do to find out answers. He wasn't pushy with these options (PGS, ERA, etc) since some cost extra money, but giving us the options right away was helpful rather than going through more failed cycles before trying. From the beginning he was wonderful and informative to meet with, however I don't think he set up our expectations on the time and emotional and physical toll everything can take, as well as about potential delays that can happen. Once we started to understand all of these items over time, on our own we were able to deal with them better. I just wish I had understood more about how long and taxing the whole journey could be earlier on.
Don't be afraid to reach out to him with questions or concerns. He is caring and willing to explain things, but also busy so you also need to be your own advocate if you have questions or concerns.
The dr always was willing to talk to me individually when needed and answered answers specific to my situation
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction.
They have a lot of patience, and can be slow to respond or not very compassionate. Sometimes they don't explain things well and several times there were mistakes, mix-ups or medicines not ordered. I had to definitely be my own advocate and push to get the right information or things corrected. Usually they assumed things were my mistake when in fact they almost never were. Also, the protocol for morning baselines and test is long and trying. You have to be there early and never know how long it make take. Once you are meeting with someone, however, the staff are in general very nice, especially with it being so early in the morning.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
It is a smaller clinic so you get more personalized care. The doctors are great, the nurses and staff, particularly the coordinators, can be hit or miss. The morning baseline and test routine is taxing and difficult, especially if you work and don't know how long things will take each time you go in. You don't always get results by the time you are supposed to which is also stressful. However, when there are scheduled procedures or appointments things go very smoothly and people are very nice and helpful.
Monitoring was only in the morning between 6:30 am - 9 am, first come, first serve, where you would have to go in and wait. At a minimum it would take 30 min if it was empty, other times I was there for close to 2 hours. You could not schedule time and you never knew how long it would take, so adjusting for work was difficult.
IUI's were $1,500 (before insurance), 2 cycles of IVF + PGS (not including medicine) $10,000 (after insurance), ERA test $900
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Two times a prescription was not called in, so I had to follow up to get things right so I would have it in time. In addition, other time I was given the wrong results and had to remind them of where I was in my cycle and what the likely results should actually be. When I talked to the doctor about it, he gave a conflicting, new plan of next steps. One or two times, I didn't get my results and would have to call in to make sure I knew what I was supposed to do next.
Chicago

dr cohen always had time for me to explain everything. ... When we had a bump in the road dr. Cohen always talked it over with the other doctor [at IHR] to find a solution and to have a what is next plan. He was very knowledgeable and honest with everything we have gone through this far. ... the first ivf was your typical protocol when that wasn't successful dr cohen changed my protocol. He did my medicine different in order to get good eggs.
Don't get discouraged by the staff [at Inst. for Human Repro]. They open up to you and make you feel welcome. If i ever needed anything the front desk was so helpful, loved the blood girl....no bruising ... the ultrasound techs are great to and encouraging ... they were great in getting people in and out [monitoring appointments] and on their way. ... the communication at first wasn't the best but it seemed to get better. There was a little disconnect from them and the doctor but nothing crazy.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
When we had a bump in the road dr. Cohen always talked it over with the other doctor to find a solution and to have a what is next plan. He was very knowledgeable and honest with everything we have gone through this far.
Trust him, if he doesn't have a solution he will find the research and talk to who he has to, to find the best solution for you.
dr cohen always had time for me to explain everything. At first the staff was cold but now being there for so long they are always greeting me by name. I feel welcome now
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Institute for Human Reproduction.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Don't get discouraged by the staff. They open up to you and make you feel welcome. If i ever needed anything the front desk was so helpful, loved the blood girl....no bruising ... the ultrasound techs are great to and encouraging
they were great in getting people in and out and on their way.
I am an out of pocket patient and then Dr cohen gave me a discount on top that
With my age and history of never being pregnant he suggested 1 embryo
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
a couple times the nurses weren't on the same page as the doctors or the nurses failed to write my blood work script to the clinic
Chicago
Dr. Cohen’s demeanor is very soothing. He explains every step when doing procedures in calm, comsise way that’s very reassuring to me. He is a excellent communicator. He listens to my concerns and reassures me in realistic way.... He suggested we do Genetic Testing on ourselves and our embryos. Also we are doing a “ freeze all” Protocol, since I had one fresh failed ivf cycle previously with other Doctor. This protocol puts odds in my favor for success.
The nursing staff [at IHR-Chicago] communicates very efficiently via email or phone call, depending what You perfer. They are very prompt when getting back to you. They also are very professional.... They provide Care Coordinators, they are tailored to your needs. Weather I need help with refills of medicine or have questions. They are always readily available.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Ask questions he will be happy to answer them!
They give you individual care. They provide Care Coordinators, they are tailored to your needs. Weather I need help with refills of medicine or have questions. They are always readily available.
The nursing staff communicates very efficiently via email or phone call, depending what You perfer. They are very prompt when getting back to you. They also are very professional.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
I believe strengths are individual protocol are unique and well planned precisely. Also atmosphere is calm, your never rushed. Excellent communication between Doctors and Nurses, they are always on same page. Doctor is very good with changing doses, during stims to increase quality.
Chicago
He [Dr. David Cohen] wanted me to go directly to IVF and we were working with my insurance company to be able to skip the IUI treatments...He returned phone calls right away. He even called once when he was on a plane, just to answer a couple of questions I had. I was very impressed by him. He never made me feel rushed out like he had somewhere else to be. I was always his #1 focus when I was with him ie speaking with him.
I thought the cost of the consultation appointment [at Institute for Human Reproduction] was ridiculously expensive. The charge was over $500 for a 45 minute conversation...the entire office ran very smoothly. It was a very bright and welcoming office. Everyone was friendly and very responsive. I didn't receive a response when requesting a copy of my ultrasound. And when visiting the oak brook location, the office was very dingy and when I was preparing for my ultrasound, there was a dead cockroach on the floor.
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
Dr. Cohen was great. He returned phone calls right away. He even called once when he was on a plane, just to answer a couple of questions I had. I was very impressed by him. He never made me feel rushed out like he had somewhere else to be. I was always his #1 focus when I was with him ie speaking with him.
You're going to love him.
He wanted me to go directly to IVF and we were working with my insurance company to be able to skip the IUI treatments.
I didn't deal much with the nurses but what I did, I thought they were very nice and professional.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
I thought the entire office ran very smoothly. It was a very bright and welcoming office. Everyone was friendly and very responsive. I didn't receive a response when requesting a copy of my ultrasound. And when visiting the oak brook location, the office was very dingy and when I was preparing for my ultrasound, there was a dead cockroach on the floor.
I thought the cost of the consultation appointment was ridiculously expensive. The charge was over $500 for a 45 minute conversation.

2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
If you know of another kind of treatment that you think might be useful in your situation, bring it up [to Dr. Cohen]. I've done that a few times, and we've added those to our protocol.
Most of the time things go right [at IHR], but I've been frustrated on occasion...I have found myself waiting for a response and feeling unsure about what to do or how to reach someone who will know what my situation is.
If you know of another kind of treatment that you think might be useful in your situation, bring it up. I've done that a few times, and we've added those to our protocol.
Dr Cohen got to know me and my husband over the last years and the staff at IHR is pretty good about remembering me. There have been mix-ups, but I have not felt like a number.
IHR runs well during monitoring hours. I have only had to wait as long as an hour once. I'm usually done with bloodwork and ultrasound in about 45 minutes or less.
What specific things went wrong at Institute for Human Reproduction?
A few missteps along the way. My clinic coordinator communicates via email. When she is out of the office, she does not put on an out-of-office auto-reply, which in the middle of an IVF cycle, does not seem responsible. I have found myself waiting for a response and feeling unsure about what to do or how to reach someone who will know what my situation is. We also had a lot of trouble getting the information we needed about donors when we switched to that process. And the clinic mixed up which donor we wanted to work with. Most of the time things go right, but I've been frustrated on occasion.
2019, Consult
He [Dr. Cohen] was very blunt and explained things well, which I appreciate more. He was funny and made a tough conversation light ... He has a very blunt personality, but he tells you what you need to know and thoroughly explains in an appropriate manner. He explained when and where we needed to get tests done, gave us a complete schedule and options for future treatment.
Strength I was the only one in office [IHR] and taken in immediately. Weakness is office hours. I wish I had more print out in terms of maybe orders or personalized numbers for the nurse to call her and get in touch, but I was given an office number which she states she is at and I needed to call at least the day before my period to get my testing done otherwise I’d have to drive to Chicago which would be inconvenient for me and my periods are irregular and hard to discern when I can get done with only two short office days near me
How was your experience with David Cohen at Institute for Human Reproduction?
he’s straight to the point and tells you what you need to know
He was very blunt and explained things well, which I appreciate more. He was funny and made a tough conversation light
For us, he recommended repeat imaging and lab tests at the beginning of our cycle. Collection of eggs with either freezing of the embryos and then implantation or immediate embryo implantation and have reasons as to why for both.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Institute for Human Reproduction. (Assigned nurse: Yes but I forgot her name )
She was the only one in the office. She was kind.
Describe your experience with Institute for Human Reproduction.
Strength I was the only one in office and taken in immediately. Weakness is office hours. I wish I had more print out in terms of maybe orders or personalized numbers for the nurse to call her and get in touch, but I was given an office number which she states she is at and I needed to call at least the day before my period to get my testing done otherwise I’d have to drive to Chicago which would be inconvenient for me and my periods are irregular and hard to discern when I can get done with only two short office days near me
No costs determined as of yet
No comments but appeared he would only implant one at a time, but I intend to ask about multiple at next ov
Oakbrook